TLG Ann: Talga boosts Swedish graphite resource by 54%
Price Sensitive: Y
Date: 27th May 2022, 10:26am

>>> Read announcement: Google: TLG Market Announcements

• Fire
Reactions: 3 users

Micreg

Regular
Incredible - a 54% graphite resource increase with stunning grades up to 40% with more in the ground at depth.

What an amazing resource!

• Fire
Reactions: 11 users

Semmel

Regular
Very interesting announcement! The language seems to suggest that talga is looking to increase its mining volume for the Niska expansion. Not sure this is possible as we already filed for a processing concession, but we can still hope!

Other thing is, i noticed a big difference between the announced numbers and what I expected. In this announcement:

Talga looks to "supersize" it's graphite resource. An Exploration target of 170 to 200 million tonnes of graphite ore at 20%-30% contained graphite.

Our current announcement gives 30 million tonnes of mineral ore at 24% contained graphite.

Now that's quite a discrepancy and i suspect i am comparing the wrong numbers. Can someone explain what is going on?

Reactions: 1 users

Gero

Regular
I noted that comment too and is certainly worthy of inclusion in the list i compiled of potential H2 catalysts for Talga!

Will be interesting to see what the grades, width & depth of the drilling results between Niska Sth & Niska Nth when results come out in July. Another 50%+ boost to total Vittangi resource on top of today’s results would be welcome and as Semmel mentioned, it would be interesting to see if Talga are going to go beyond the expansion forecast in the Niska scoping study due to the enormous customer demand.

From todays announcement:

Next Steps

By 2031, Benchmark Mineral Intelligence forecasts demand for coated graphite anode in Europe alone to reach over 1 million tonnes per year. This, along with Talga’s increasing number of customers, underscores the need to further upgrade the Vittangi resource.

New 2022 diamond drilling of the Niska Link target area (ASX:TLG 14 April 2022) was completed on 2 May with a total of 36 drillholes for 4,154.8m of diamond core drilling.
Detailed geological logging and core sampling has commenced, and assay result flow is expected to start in July. The Company plans to further update the Vittangi Mineral Resource estimation in late 2022, following return of all analytical results.

Further surface diamond drilling targeting the extension of Nunasvaara East towards Nunasvaara North is also planned with a commencement date yet to be established.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Affenhorst

Regular
Isn't the purpose of exploration targets to guide the drillings which then refine the models that are used for the mineral reserves estimate.. which is then expressed by JORC code and rigorous analysis to be sure that the deposits are not overstated...

The fact that we only saw a relatively (vs. the exploration target) small increase seems to mean that not all was considered in the update and more is to come.. or that the exploration target was by far too optimistic.
First paragraph is mostly correct. However, the drilling data does not so much refine the models, it provides the very basis. Anything before that (exploration targets) are just educated guesses based on geology, EM measurements etc.

Second paragraph... I don't think so. The deposits are just way too vast to convert them to resources within the scope of the current drilling campaign. It would take a long time and a lot of money to drill it all. I think we can expect another upgrade of about the same size in H2. Remember, the announcements always say that the deposits remain open at depth and along strike.

Reactions: 5 users

Semmel

Regular
First paragraph is mostly correct. However, the drilling data does not so much refine the models, it provides the very basis. Anything before that (exploration targets) are just educated guesses based on geology, EM measurements etc.

Second paragraph... I don't think so. The deposits are just way too vast to convert them to resources within the scope of the current drilling campaign. It would take a long time and a lot of money to drill it all. I think we can expect another upgrade of about the same size in H2. Remember, the announcements always say that the deposits remain open at depth and along strike.
Hmm.. i might have a naive understanding of the way this works. Are there rules how much drilling is required? If EM measurements and geology constrain the rules, then we need some drillings to measure the concentration, etc. But looking at the drill holes, we should have enough data for most of it. At least to my untrained eye, there is no way we could see holes in the deposits.

In the tables of the announcement, we see that nunasvaara south is all probable. The other sites are all indicated and inferred. Maybe they only conducted the analysis for nunasvaara south and not for the others.

I know the deposit is open at depth, but that is true for the exploration target as well. So the thing that seems different between the exploration target and the current announcement is the volume that got paperworked. We will see more updates with the Niska drill results.

Also, looking at the map, it seems they will need to file for relocation of some of the mine refinary layout to make room for nunasvaara east. I bet there is some paperwork in the progress. Might be a reason we have not seen the processing concession yet.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: 2 users

Affenhorst

Regular
Hmm.. i might have a naive understanding of the way this works. Are there rules how much drilling is required? If EM measurements and geology constrain the rules, then we need some drillings to measure the concentration, etc. But looking at the drill holes, we should have enough data for most of it. At least to my untrained eye, there is no way we could see holes in the deposits.

In the tables of the announcement, we see that nunasvaara south is all probable. The other sites are all indicated and inferred. Maybe they only conducted the analysis for nunasvaara south and not for the others.

I know the deposit is open at depth, but that is true for the exploration target as well. So the thing that seems different between the exploration target and the current announcement is the volume that got paperworked. We will see more updates with the Niska drill results.

Also, looking at the map, it seems they will need to file for relocation of some of the mine refinary layout to make room for nunasvaara east. I bet there is some paperwork in the progress. Might be a reason we have not seen the processing concession yet.
If you're bored, have a go at this:

> Are there rules how much drilling is required?

You need as many holes as are required for a competent person to figure out. I suppose there are some heuristics and statistics that allow you to assume continuity between holes of a certain distance. You don't know, however, with sufficient confidence what's beneath your holes and between drilling drilling zones...

Reactions: 2 users
Top Bottom