HUAWEI TAISHAN 200 SERVER / KUNPENG 920 PROCESSOR USING AKIDA

What's.A.Neuromorphic.Chip.Anyway- it's worth an acronym...
WANCA it is then!

Lol SC

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users

Pappagallo

Regular
What's.A.Neuromorphic.Chip.Anyway- it's worth an acronym...

Lmao. Luke “WANCA” Winchester, now there’s a nick that’s gonna stick.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Hi @Fullmoonfever

This is an extraordinary piece of sleuthing and has significance regardless of the fine detail.

To possibly resolve the level of significance so that no one is misled I have sent two emails to the company giving them the opportunity to address this discovery so as to prevent the creation of a false market in Brainchip shares.

I will let all here know the moment I have a reply.

Regards
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Normally I would have had a reply from the US by 7am Australian time when communicating with Brainchip. I have not had any further communication since I had the request for further information concerning the use of AKIDA cards.

So while it is still possible I personally now do not expect to hear anything further at my end today.

Rest assured if I receive something I will advise.

FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Fire
Reactions: 18 users
D

Deleted member 118

Normally I would have had a reply from the US by 7am Australian time when communicating with Brainchip. I have not had any further communication since I had the request for further information concerning the use of AKIDA cards.

So while it is still possible I personally now do not expect to hear anything further at my end today.

FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 7 users
D

Deleted member 118

FDE21984-60AD-4A6E-A6FE-E5ECFBC87A61.png

6EC6F033-00F1-4AB0-993F-1C52E4980F37.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Great work FMF but I’m with Chapman on this one.

I’m a bit torn with how I feel. Obviously we want to be used by the biggest companies in the world. We want to make money to improve our families lifestyles. But I’m hoping it doesn’t come at a cost of our children’s or grandchildren’s freedoms in the future.

I thought the Management Team were strong with a “We don’t need China” statement: which I was comfortable with even though there was a financial loss attached. I unfortunately don’t trust their ideologies: such as the Hong Kong experience recently and threats to Taiwan.

I’m very confident we will be utilised by the US Defence Force who I hope can achieve a technological advantage which help safeguard peaceful values by having it as a deterrent.

I‘m aware we have one patent in China: hopefully that will protect Akida technology and prevent it being used where it shouldn’t but I think if China can copy it they will!

Ultimately I can’t change it if it occurs. Hopefully we will all become wealthy and my fears won’t come true. Unfortunately hope and wishing don’t always work and positive choices are required: even if they are hard choices. If I had a vote in it I would choose no!

I believe we will/can be successful without China.

My opinion only and I’ll respect others.
I agree with every word you posted

Reactions: 3 users

M_C

Founding Member

FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Probably just busy preparing the price sensitive ann for tomorrow ff, you know , checking for errors etc :LOL:

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 17 users
Whilst it's unfortunately been established (to a point) that the KunPeng 920 most likely isn't using Akida I did some more digging and a couple things came up.

The 920 does run onboard accelerators.
For Ai acceleration the Taishan server will use the Huawei Atlas card.
The Atlas card runs the Huawei Ascend chips.
The Ascend chips built on Huawei in-house Da Vinci architecture.

So...is eX3, as they say, merely trying to swap out the recommended existing Huawei in-house Atlas Ai for Akida boards and to see what happens against Huawei's own Atlas and if anyone else more techy than me can explain if this an easy process. Yes, other than plugging in the AKD PCIe instead.

Is it conceivable that the 920 onboard accelerators can or use Akida IP at all as rightly or wrongly worded / inferred by eX3?

Some snips of Huawei documentation I found and full pdfs attached.

TaiShan 200 KunPeng 920 Accelerators.jpg

KunPeng Basic Specs.jpg

TaiShan 200 KunPeng 920 Data Compression Accelerator.jpg

TaiShan 200 Map.jpg

Atlas 300 Card.jpg

Atlas AI Da Vinci Ascend Chips.jpg

Attachments

• Huawei-TaiShan-200-Server-Technical-Presentation-V1.2.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 57
  • Huawei-Atlas-Server-Overview.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • DOCUMENTO1.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 54
  • 05_Steven_Huawei Intelligent Computing Taishan Server Solutions Anwendungsbeispiele.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • Fire
Reactions: 16 users

chapman89

Founding Member
So I emailed the ex3 contact and asked how Akida would be used and this is what he replied back-

A473FD1D-8AB5-4073-B4E4-D8EA2FB9C3E1.jpeg

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 42 users

JoMo68

Regular
Thanks Jesse. So from the reply, it sounds as though Loihi2 was their preference due to having more synapses, but they settled on Akida because it was available?

chapman89

Founding Member
Thanks Jesse. So from the reply, it sounds as though Loihi2 was their preference due to having more synapses, but they settled on Akida because it was available?
Yes, but Loihi 2 supports a maximum of 120 million synapses versus Akida’s 10 billion synapses.

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 28 users

Slade

Top 20
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

TechGirl

Founding Member
  • Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 11 users
Amateurs.
Yes but they are amateurs who have proven that Loihi 1 & 2 are definitely not a commercially available chip not even for credentialed research institutes in Europe.

IBM’s True North is not for the edge.

Poor little AKIDA is so brave to go where no chip has gone before with no one else to keep it company.

It really is very cruel it has to be out there at the edge alone for two to three years and on that TV show humans only have to be alone at the edge for 30 days. Even Christ only had to do 40 days and 40 nights alone at the edge.

But seriously AKIDA has it all to play for and Sean Hehir and the rest of the team know it.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 27 users

JoMo68

Regular
Yes, but Loihi 2 supports a maximum of 120 million synapses versus Akida’s 10 billion synapses.
I thought their reasoning sounded a bit off! 10x the number of synapses my butt!! For a company that was aware of and decided to run with Akida, they appear surprisingly lacking in detailed knowledge.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 9 users
I thought their reasoning sounded a bit off! 10x the number of synapses my butt!! For a company that was aware of and decided to run with Akida, they appear surprisingly lacking in detailed knowledge.
I did not want to be the one to say it first in case I was completely off in left field, but if you had made the enquiries that this person suggests, for the purpose of providing a system that students and academics could run SNN models on, you would have your facts correct, unless someone, say Huawei for instance, had said like Joe in Queensland all those years ago, don't you worry about that we will use AKIDA technology it is very good or words to that effect.

Or given how ethical Chinese companies have proven to be perhaps Huawei had tried to buy AKIDA and been refused by Brainchip and used this organisation to obtain AKIDA so they could trial the technology with the assistance of European academics from the Human Brain Project and SpinNaker who have deep understanding of neuromorphic and spiking neural networks computing.

I go for deliberately dumb not accidently dumb as he suggested in his/her first reply to Perhaps that the use of AKIDA with Huawei was nothing more than happenstance.

My opinion and speculation only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Fire
D

Deleted member 118

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha

AusEire

Founding Member. It's ok to say No to Dot Joining
Top Bottom