HUAWEI TAISHAN 200 SERVER / KUNPENG 920 PROCESSOR USING AKIDA

Apols, bit later than thought.

Anyway, haven't had time to do a deep dive as just on and quick skim hasn't shown any official docs I can find with Akida spelt out but probs to be expected.

Was re-reading on my laptop now what I found when on my phone and actually it's maybe a little ambiguous.

Thoughts anyone? I know mine.

Was searching procurement / supply keyword variations and came across eX3 which is a funded Norwegian based research program around HPC / Exascale computing. Further down I'll explain my thinking.

The eX3 project​

"Together with partners, Simula Research Laboratory has established eX3 to become the previously missing national resource that can prepare researchers for exascale computing in Norway. The eX3 infrastructure is currently funded for five years through the RCN program for national research infrastructures. In addition to the host institution Simula, the project consortium also counts the national HPC management body Sigma2, HPC research groups from the University of Tromsø, NTNU, the University of Bergen, and OsloMet, as well as the HPC technology providers Graphcore, Dolphin Interconnect Solutions, and Numascale.

The eX3 infrastructure is not an exascale computer by itself, but it is a carefully curated ecosystem of technology components that will be crucial for embracing exascale computing. It will allow HPC researchers throughout Norway and their collaborators to experiment hands-on with emerging HPC technologies – hardware as well as software."

So, this project has established procurement of various HW as part of their resources.

"The eX3 infrastructure is continuously under build-up and reconfiguration in order to keep up-to-date with the technology development. The following hardware resources, acquired in the first phase procurement, are currently available."

So, this is where it got interesting as part of their HW inventory is the Huawei TaiShan 200 server with the KunPeng 920 processor.

eX3 Taishan 200 Server.png

A bit further down was the Akida NPU details but referring to the above.

eX3 Akida NPU.png

So, my first thinking was Huawei are using Akida in the KunPeng then reading again I'm wondering if it's something aftermarket that eX3 have added as part of their research?

I believe my first thoughts re Huawei are probs correct though.

Some additional snips and other links below I've started trying to get through.

eX3 Web Search.png

TSMC.png

Industry leading server ARM CPU..

Hisilicon Kunpeng.png

The 920 also being looked at for DT boards...whether will inc Akida...who knows.

Huawei DT Board.png

Kunpeng 920: The First 7-nm Chiplet-Based 64-Core ARM SoC for Cloud Services​

Sept.-Oct. 2021, pp. 67-75, vol. 41

Abstract​

Kunpeng 920 is the second generation server processor designed by HiSilicon based on ARM architecture. Kunpeng 920 is able to achieve cost efficiency for various workloads through using a variety of chiplets and hybrid process technologies. The unique recomposition(s) of these flexible chipsets allows new designs to be created. The Kunpeng series processors combine technology innovations from various levels to improve efficiency, eliminate bottlenecks, and deliver value and performance. Its key features are as follows: The Kunpeng 920 core is specifically designed with superscalar architecture with the support of vector extension to provide leading features for high-performance computing applications; the coherent cache subsystem is created to integrate multicores into single chiplet (e.g., 7-nm process node) with a ring design that is ultralow-latency (<; 15 ns), nonblocking and bufferless; a dedicated parallel small-IO block is developed to achieve high-bandwidth (e.g., 400 GB/s) interdie connection for 2-D package solutions; IO die is redesigned (e.g., 16-nm process) so that the latest standard interface (e.g., PCI4.0) can be leveraged to scale up the System on a Chip (SoCs) and connect them with other IO devices; two or four Kunpeng 920 can work together as single symmetric multiprocessor system with cache coherent nonuniform memory access fabric.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 108 users

chapman89

Founding Member

Anyway, haven't had time to do a deep dive as just on and quick skim hasn't shown any official docs I can find with Akida spelt out but probs to be expected.

Was re-reading on my laptop now what I found when on my phone and actually it's maybe a little ambiguous.

Was searching procurement / supply keyword variations and came across eX3 which is a funded Norwegian based research program around HPC / Exascale computing. Further down I'll explain my thinking.

The eX3 project​

"Together with partners, Simula Research Laboratory has established eX3 to become the previously missing national resource that can prepare researchers for exascale computing in Norway. The eX3 infrastructure is currently funded for five years through the RCN program for national research infrastructures. In addition to the host institution Simula, the project consortium also counts the national HPC management body Sigma2, HPC research groups from the University of Tromsø, NTNU, the University of Bergen, and OsloMet, as well as the HPC technology providers Graphcore, Dolphin Interconnect Solutions, and Numascale.

The eX3 infrastructure is not an exascale computer by itself, but it is a carefully curated ecosystem of technology components that will be crucial for embracing exascale computing. It will allow HPC researchers throughout Norway and their collaborators to experiment hands-on with emerging HPC technologies – hardware as well as software."

So, this project has established procurement of various HW as part of their resources.

"The eX3 infrastructure is continuously under build-up and reconfiguration in order to keep up-to-date with the technology development. The following hardware resources, acquired in the first phase procurement, are currently available."

So, this is where it got interesting as part of their HW inventory is the Huawei TaiShan 200 server with the KunPeng 920 processor.

View attachment 4337

View attachment 4336

So, my first thinking was Huawei are using Akida in the KunPeng then reading again I'm wondering if it's something aftermarket that eX3 have added as part of their research?

View attachment 4332

View attachment 4333

View attachment 4334

The 920 also being looked at for DT boards...whether will inc Akida...who knows.

View attachment 4335

Abstract​

Kunpeng 920 is the second generation server processor designed by HiSilicon based on ARM architecture. Kunpeng 920 is able to achieve cost efficiency for various workloads through using a variety of chiplets and hybrid process technologies. The unique recomposition(s) of these flexible chipsets allows new designs to be created. The Kunpeng series processors combine technology innovations from various levels to improve efficiency, eliminate bottlenecks, and deliver value and performance. Its key features are as follows: The Kunpeng 920 core is specifically designed with superscalar architecture with the support of vector extension to provide leading features for high-performance computing applications; the coherent cache subsystem is created to integrate multicores into single chiplet (e.g., 7-nm process node) with a ring design that is ultralow-latency (<; 15 ns), nonblocking and bufferless; a dedicated parallel small-IO block is developed to achieve high-bandwidth (e.g., 400 GB/s) interdie connection for 2-D package solutions; IO die is redesigned (e.g., 16-nm process) so that the latest standard interface (e.g., PCI4.0) can be leveraged to scale up the System on a Chip (SoCs) and connect them with other IO devices; two or four Kunpeng 920 can work together as single symmetric multiprocessor system with cache coherent nonuniform memory access fabric.

Great find.
The only thing that would make me question this potential partnership with Huawei is that Huawei is Chinese and the US Government and other governments have said Huawei is a threat to their national security as it is beholden to the Chinese Government!

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users

zeeb0t

Administrator
Staff member
Great find.
The only thing that would make me question this potential partnership with Huawei is that Huawei is Chinese and the US Government and other governments have said Huawei is a threat to their national security as it is beholden to the Chinese Government!

It’s designed by ARM … yes, ARM. Where a lot of dots lead, if I’m not mistaken…. so, if this is all true, Akida wasn’t sold to a Chinese company … I won’t say any more because this could be an amazingly huge find and I don’t want to risk ramping. IMO DYOR

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 64 users
Great find.
Thought about that but figured TSMC have the licence and are the ones manufacturing for Huawei not BRN direct.

• Fire
It’s designed by ARM … yes, ARM. Where a lot of dots lead, if I’m not mistaken…. so, if this is all true, Akida wasn’t sold to a Chinese company … I won’t say any more because this could be an amazingly huge find and I don’t want to risk ramping. IMO DYOR
Yes that too sorry.

Applicable to android as well from memory.

Reactions: 11 users

uiux

Regular

The eX3 project​

View attachment 4337

View attachment 4336

View attachment 4332

View attachment 4333

View attachment 4334

View attachment 4335

Abstract​

Nice find fullmoon

This is relevant from the page. It looks like Norway has an infrastructure built so users can get hands on experience with a bunch of different hardware.

Very exciting having Akida as part of the mix.

---

The eX3 project​

Together with partners, Simula Research Laboratory has established eX3 to become the previously missing national resource that can prepare researchers for exascale computing in Norway. The eX3 infrastructure is currently funded for five years through the RCN program for national research infrastructures. In addition to the host institution Simula, the project consortium also counts the national HPC management body Sigma2, HPC research groups from the University of Tromsø, NTNU, the University of Bergen, and OsloMet, as well as the HPC technology providers Graphcore, Dolphin Interconnect Solutions, and Numascale.

The eX3 infrastructure is not an exascale computer by itself, but it is a carefully curated ecosystem of technology components that will be crucial for embracing exascale computing. It will allow HPC researchers throughout Norway and their collaborators to experiment hands-on with emerging HPC technologies – hardware as well as software.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 33 users

alwaysgreen

Top 20

The eX3 project​

View attachment 4337

View attachment 4336

View attachment 4332

View attachment 4333

View attachment 4334

View attachment 4335

Abstract​

Brilliant. Great post.

These dots are quickly becoming a very solid line.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 21 users
Hi @Fullmoonfever

This is an extraordinary piece of sleuthing and has significance regardless of the fine detail.

To possibly resolve the level of significance so that no one is misled I have sent two emails to the company giving them the opportunity to address this discovery so as to prevent the creation of a false market in Brainchip shares.

I will let all here know the moment I have a reply.

Regards
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 81 users
Great find.
Great work FMF but I’m with Chapman on this one.

I’m a bit torn with how I feel. Obviously we want to be used by the biggest companies in the world. We want to make money to improve our families lifestyles. But I’m hoping it doesn’t come at a cost of our children’s or grandchildren’s freedoms in the future.

I thought the Management Team were strong with a “We don’t need China” statement: which I was comfortable with even though there was a financial loss attached. I unfortunately don’t trust their ideologies: such as the Hong Kong experience recently and threats to Taiwan.

I’m very confident we will be utilised by the US Defence Force who I hope can achieve a technological advantage which help safeguard peaceful values by having it as a deterrent.

I‘m aware we have one patent in China: hopefully that will protect Akida technology and prevent it being used where it shouldn’t but I think if China can copy it they will!

Ultimately I can’t change it if it occurs. Hopefully we will all become wealthy and my fears won’t come true. Unfortunately hope and wishing don’t always work and positive choices are required: even if they are hard choices. If I had a vote in it I would choose no!

I believe we will/can be successful without China.

My opinion only and I’ll respect others.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 32 users

zeeb0t

Administrator
Staff member
I think I’ve said this before but if anyone thinks China will never get their hands on Akida, much like nobody will ever use Akida for “bad”… then I’m sorry to say - even if the company does what it can to prevent it, you can’t really hold back the tide on such things.

Playing devils advocate here - but what’s stopping anyone shipping off the Akida chip to someone in China, when the post service resumes on Tuesday? Who is to say it hasn’t already happened?

I think life is easier to swallow if you assume these sorts of things will occur and then focus on the larger picture.

All IMO - not trying to start a fight or upset anyone.

• Love
Reactions: 56 users
Hi @Fullmoonfever

This is an extraordinary piece of sleuthing and has significance regardless of the fine detail.

To possibly resolve the level of significance so that no one is misled I have sent two emails to the company giving them the opportunity to address this discovery so as to prevent the creation of a false market in Brainchip shares.

I will let all here know the moment I have a reply.

Regards
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Hi again
Already heard back from Tony Dawe he has no knowledge so has referred it to the US Office.
Regards
FF

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 45 users

zeeb0t

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again
Already heard back from Tony Dawe he has no knowledge so has referred it to the US Office.
Regards
FF

Tony would not likely know, it’s a good thing he is referring to the US office because it’s there in black and white for the world to consume / act upon without confirmation from the company! Thanks for emailing them!

• Fire
Hi again
Regards
FF
Geez....Tony on it...you must be on speed dial or something...thankfully ;)

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 26 users
I think I’ve said this before but if anyone thinks China will never get their hands on Akida, much like nobody will ever use Akida for “bad”… then I’m sorry to say - even if the company does what it can to prevent it, you can’t really hold back the tide on such things.

Playing devils advocate here - but what’s stopping anyone shipping off the Akida chip to someone in China, when the post service resumes on Tuesday? Who is to say it hasn’t already happened?

I think life is easier to swallow if you assume these sorts of things will occur and then focus on the larger picture.

All IMO - not trying to start a fight or upset anyone.
I hear you Zeebot. I’m not nieve.

I just wanted to state where I stand on this matter: and offer a perspective because sometimes difficult things need to be stated.

I don’t want to be rich at the cost of my values.

The reality is i’m not selling based on this information but I don’t want to end up unconscionably rich either.

Cheers!

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 21 users

zeeb0t

Administrator
Staff member
I hear you Zeebot. I’m not nieve.

I just wanted to state where I stand on this matter: and offer a perspective because sometimes difficult things need to be stated.

I don’t want to be rich at the cost of my values.

The reality is i’m not selling based on this information but I don’t want to end up unconscionably rich either.

Cheers!

And that’s fair enough!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Great work FMF but I’m with Chapman on this one.

I’m a bit torn with how I feel. Obviously we want to be used by the biggest companies in the world. We want to make money to improve our families lifestyles. But I’m hoping it doesn’t come at a cost of our children’s or grandchildren’s freedoms in the future.

I thought the Management Team were strong with a “We don’t need China” statement: which I was comfortable with even though there was a financial loss attached. I unfortunately don’t trust their ideologies: such as the Hong Kong experience recently and threats to Taiwan.

I’m very confident we will be utilised by the US Defence Force who I hope can achieve a technological advantage which help safeguard peaceful values by having it as a deterrent.

I‘m aware we have one patent in China: hopefully that will protect Akida technology and prevent it being used where it shouldn’t but I think if China can copy it they will!

Ultimately I can’t change it if it occurs. Hopefully we will all become wealthy and my fears won’t come true. Unfortunately hope and wishing don’t always work and positive choices are required: even if they are hard choices. If I had a vote in it I would choose no!

I believe we will can be successful without China.

My opinion only and I’ll respect others.
The sad reality is that once Mercedes Benz start driving off showroom floors they will be driven out of showrooms in China.

The AKIDA chip and IP is designed not to be hacked or copied so that is the protection against it falling into Puto’s or Pingo’s hands once it is commercially available.

Then there are the trade secrets as the final defence but at the end of the day once what we all want occurs commercial product in the market place it will mean AKIDA will be in China.

I have no doubt Raspberry Pi and Boards are there already.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

Reactions: 29 users
At a personal level if they are actually using AKIDA for their exa scale computing that will be the final nail in the coffin of that “what’s a neuromorphic chip anyway moron and the maggots at that other place.

My absolution conviction
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 55 users

Mccabe84

Regular
Great find. Tony was always going to deny knowledge of this. I wonder what Tuesday will bring on the ASX

Reactions: 22 users

Slade

Top 20
Great find Fullmoon, and worth the wait. I think we have to accept China as a major consumer of Akida. The Chinese market is a major part of Renesas’s business. Haven’t looked at it but I guess they are a big part of MegaChips business too.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 34 users

Diogenese

Top 20

The eX3 project​

View attachment 4337

View attachment 4336

View attachment 4332

View attachment 4333

View attachment 4334

View attachment 4335

Abstract​

Wow! Amazing find FMF,

I guess that this makes the Norwegian Simula eX3 exacomputer research project an EAP customer. It looks like Simula Research Labs is a Norwegian government thing.
https://www.simula.no/research

I wouldn't go so far as to link Akida with Huawei. There are 4 Kunpengs and 4 Akidas.

My guess is that Akida is being used as an AI accelerator for the Kunpeng to offload the handling of image data and the like.

The amazing thing is that a handful of Akidas ($100?) are being used in conjunction with these supercomputers ($$$$$), and presumably holding their own.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 57 users
Top Bottom