BRN Discussion Ongoing

Gman

Here is somehting interesting from Tata group

Almost as if their R&D team have come across some sort of tech that has allowed development of never before seen innovative solutions to previously unassailable problems…. 🤔

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 29 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
Hi all

I have had confirmation that the Numem Inc relationship is real.

My confirmation only so DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Numem has another form of resistive ram (MRAM and ReRAM), I am 100% in agreement that ReRAM has a place in the new world of edge—based AI. I just hope it is WeebitNano’s that prevails. And yet there is room for hundreds of players, the TAM is huge.

I’d rather BrainChip team up with the ASX listed WeebitNano for ReRAM which they already have at 28nm, are working on scaling down to 22nm, and have a roadmap to scale down to 12nm. Plus a partnership with SkyWater to boot.

MRAM is Magnetoresistive RAM. I don’t know much about it. It does sound pretty neat, but I believe, it is a bit more difficult to manufacture, and hence is expected to be much more expensive

WeebitNano’s ReRAM can be produced with no need to re-tool fabs, hence can easily be embedded, and exists today, at least in fab produced test chips. These are currently undergoing final testing, after successfully passing functional testing. This final testing is a form of accelerated lifetime testing. I.e. they need to prove they can retain memory and o-erase for years, so tweak some environmental and usage settings to simulate many years of lifetime usage in as small a time frame as possible - weeks to months.

WeebitNano have also successfully tested integration with Risk-V. Certainly this is a plus for BrainChip.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
Hi DH. There's been a few posts on this over many months and you need to do some reading on it. Worth using the esuperfund material but there'll be otherstuff including the ATO website which is a bit clunky but worth reading.

Essentially the SMSF pays 15% on earnings. Capital gains for stuff owned for less than a year is taxed at that 15% but for shares held for more than a year it is at 10%.
Hi V,

I’m 50 so I haven’t dug deeply into all this retirement information yet so I’m still learning. The prime reason I started investing in shares 18 months ago is because I can’t touch my super until I’m 60. However I want to retire at 55. So my plan was to make enough money in the next 5 years via shares so I can retire at 55 and then live off that until I’m 60 and then can live off my current super. I’ve been paying 15% pre-tax of my wage forever so my actual super although not massive; it’s enough to be comfortable.

My aspirations have changed as now I don’t want to be touching my Brainchip shares until they have fully matured which I realise could take a few years longer. I don’t hate my job, just getting burnt out but if I have to stay for a year or two longer I can. If I’m confident of my situation I could potentially go part time for my last year or two to give my shares more time to grow before I have to touch them. 55 or 57 is still young enough to have some health and fitness to do the travel and adventures I’m yearning for.

My question about the 15% on earnings you said above. Earnings is only generated when you actually sell shares isn’t it? For example if my shares went from $1 - $5 in one year but I haven’t sold any then I don’t pay any tax on them? I’d be a bit concerned if every year I have to take %15 tax out of my growth every year.

I’m thinking if I can move some of my current super into a SMSF by November/December and pick up 3-400 000 shares then by the time 60 rolls around in 10 years they’d be close to paying dividends in which case I could hopefully live off of them and never have to touch my initial purchase. Does that sound like a good plan?

Feel free to pull apart my idea if it’s a bad one. I appreciate this isn’t a financial advice thread so I’m not expecting guaranteed financial advice. I’m open to criticism If it improves my plan. I figure if I’m asking these questions others might be thinking the same thoughts so it could be helpful to others as well.

Cheers

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 21 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
Hi DH. There's been a few posts on this over many months and you need to do some reading on it. Worth using the esuperfund material but there'll be otherstuff including the ATO website which is a bit clunky but worth reading.

Essentially the SMSF pays 15% on earnings. Capital gains for stuff owned for less than a year is taxed at that 15% but for shares held for more than a year it is at 10%.
And it all changes when: you retire, and then when you turn 60, and then if your total super goes over the cap, which seems to change often. And I don’t know what happens if you go over the cap during a financial year but withdraw enough so you stay under the cap on 1 July. I think that rules for being under the cap would still apply. I hope so as that is my goal.

And then there are circumstances where the initial 15% tax paid on entry can be a rebate—I.e. When in retirement phase but under 60 With other taxable income to,off-set the rebate against. But I do believe this year is the last year that will be of any concern as next year the min age you can access super will be 60, for people not yet in retirement phase. I.e. those born in 1963 and turning 60 during the next financial year.

It’s all quite complicated.

If you don’t completely understand it as it applies to your specific circumstances, PLEASE seek the guidance of a professional and don’t base your understanding on responses from people you don’t know on a forum and who don’t know your specific circumstances.

So I suppose you shouldn’t listen to me either, but then, in doing so, you will be listening to me. 🤣

• Haha
  • Thinking
Reactions: 8 users

BaconLover

Founding Member
Hi V,

I’m 50 so I haven’t dug deeply into all this retirement information yet so I’m still learning. The prime reason I started investing in shares 18 months ago is because I can’t touch my super until I’m 60. However I want to retire at 55. So my plan was to make enough money in the next 5 years via shares so I can retire at 55 and then live off that until I’m 60 and then can live off my current super. I’ve been paying 15% pre-tax of my wage forever so my actual super although not massive; it’s enough to be comfortable.

My aspirations have changed as now I don’t want to be touching my Brainchip shares until they have fully matured which I realise could take a few years longer. I don’t hate my job, just getting burnt out but if I have to stay for a year or two longer I can. If I’m confident of my situation I could potentially go part time for my last year or two to give my shares more time to grow before I have to touch them. 55 or 57 is still young enough to have some health and fitness to do the travel and adventures I’m yearning for.

My question about the 15% on earnings you said above. Earnings is only generated when you actually sell shares isn’t it? For example if my shares went from $1 - $5 in one year but I haven’t sold any then I don’t pay any tax on them? I’d be a bit concerned if every year I have to take %15 tax out of my growth every year.

I’m thinking if I can move some of my current super into a SMSF by November/December and pick up 3-400 000 shares then by the time 60 rolls around in 10 years they’d be close to paying dividends in which case I could hopefully live off of them and never have to touch my initial purchase. Does that sound like a good plan?

Feel free to pull apart my idea if it’s a bad one. I appreciate this isn’t a financial advice thread so I’m not expecting guaranteed financial advice. I’m open to criticism If it improves my plan. I figure if I’m asking these questions others might be thinking the same thoughts so it could be helpful to others as well.

Cheers
You pay tax when you sell - you are right SG.

I would say though - try to find a good accountant. I do have a feeling when things start to roll we are going to have a pretty extraordinary roll. Once all the WANCAs come to know the potential, things would be different.
So even though, just like yourself, I too have a conservative goal, not a bad idea to talk to an accountant and go through various scenarios depending on your goals.

Reactions: 10 users

ndefries

Regular
Hi V,

Cheers
Hey. You only pay the 15% or 10% (over 12 months holding) when you trade so if you have a buy and hold strategy the only tax you need to pay is on the amounts your employer sends to super as they send it over untaxed each month or quarter. Then if you earn over $250k you pay another 15% tax on what your employer and you personally sent across pre tax as a added bonus tax :(

I hope brn are worth many multiples and you get to retire early. Try to stay off the beers, processed foods and exercise and you will out live most and brn will be funding your holidays into your 90s.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
It is a nice ”U” shape and even has reducing volume on the handle.

Juicy Indeed!

I’m 100% not a chartist, but I do concede that many patterns can indicate market sentiment. And market sentiment CAN be predictive if circumstances don’t appreciably change to disrupt the sentiment.

I also recognise that a significant number of players are completely driven by charts, and can tend to turn them into self-fulfilling prophecies.

I do enjoy trying to analyse market think. Sometimes it screams at you, but mostly it’s the rantings of a lunatic.

But as a long-term investor, I rest assured that a sound business, run by good management, delving in an area that is needed, should survive, And with survival must come growth, else surely it would whither and die.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
You pay tax when you sell - you are right SG.

I would say though - try to find a good accountant. I do have a feeling when things start to roll we are going to have a pretty extraordinary roll. Once all the WANCAs come to know the potential, things would be different.
So even though, just like yourself, I too have a conservative goal, not a bad idea to talk to an accountant and go through various scenarios depending on your goals.
Thanks for the advice BL and I do intend to. I thought hearing a few scenarios on here wouldn’t hurt. I appreciate they’re anonymous but there’s some very intelligent and knowledgeable people on this forum, with experience in this matter as they’ve living off their super/investments themselves.

I’ve been on this forum for a little bit now and can tell the WANCA’s from the real deal.

Also I don’t know a good accountant so it’d be lucky Dip trying to find one. I live in a lower socio economically challenged rural country town 3 hrs from a city so I’m not sure there’s a lot of expertise here on share trading and smsf. It is a nice friendly community and quite picturesque but low wealth generation. I moved here because it was a good safe community to bring up children, but that’s done now. My wage was the same regardless of where I lived so it was all about the kids.

I also appreciate, like any industry there are good and bad “Professionals.” So I figure a bit of advice here might help me ask some relevant questions down the track.

I’ve learnt a lot from this forum and appreciate the 1000 eyes different points of view on a no. of things. As someone said to me on here the other day; “It takes a village.”

Cheers

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 23 users

Zedjack33

Regular
Hi V,

Cheers
Burnout sucks.

It’s great u got a plan. I’ve felt more comfortable after investing in Brn knowing this will see me through/right.

I’ve run two businesses for just shy of ten years. 7am to 10pm (at least) 5 days and weekends every other week. Sold one business in March and closed the other in December.
I haven’t worked for a few months now and bloody love it. But my eye is on the prize.

Ur a long time dead, so look after ur self.

Having said that, I’ve found an opportunity to get back into what I’m passionate about and it’s getting legs. Thought I wouldn’t own another business but here I am.

BRN is the best opportunity I have ever come across. Good luck to all. Tight lines. 🥳

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 43 users

Violin1

Regular
Hi V,

Cheers
Howdy SG - I see a couple of others have responded as well. The tax is on realised returns by the SMSF. Essentially the fund has to put in its own tax return so dividends and CG from an event (sale) attract the tax (income can be offset by costs and losses). I was responding on the assumption you were pre-retirement. As Slymeat said, it all changes when you retire. There's plenty of material about and worth understanding the contribution caps, age limits etc etc.

It's difficult to comment on strategies without a lot more info and advice is definitely something you shouldn't get from me. Depending on who your current superfund is you can often get an initial consultation with one of their financial advisers to talk strategy - but useful and safe to get a second opinion from someone without a vested interest (the Royal Commission heard horror stories about bad advice).

I have great faith in our company and management - but still don't have all my eggs in the one basket. Be careful about rolling it all into a SMSF to load on to one share - if it goes badly you could lose the lot and sounds like that would damage you a fair bit.

I'll never give advice but if you want to chuck a couple of emails around then contact at Violin2759@yahoo.com

Can't stress enough that it's worth doing lots of reading and good you are doing now versus getting to 60 before looking at it.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 18 users
And before anyone states the damn obvious I can see it's a guy with the name Matt

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
And before anyone states the damn obvious I can see it's a guy with the name Matt
I did listen: same vocabulary and emphasis on words. Did sound like him but as you said: wrong name 😂

Reactions: 2 users
I did listen: same vocabulary and emphasis on words. Did sound like him but as you said: wrong name 😂
Ok now just wait for a few mins

Reactions: 3 users
Ok now just wait for a few mins
Just to mind FK you as it did me.
Screenshot_20220530-221321.png

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
A little off topic and unrelated to Brainchip. Nevertheless, I find it interesting because two interesting fields overlap here for me.

"Face recognition algorithms for aging determination
April 14, 2022
The German Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing (BAM) has developed a method that uses algorithms from face recognition to determine the aging of Li-ion batteries. The method is intended to help produce long-lasting, safe batteries and improve their environmental performance.
Lithium batteries are particularly susceptible to aging processes. During each charging and discharging process in an electric battery, lithium ions become deposited in the electrodes of the cell like in the pores of a sponge. Over time, however, the filigree structures become fractured and cracked. As a result, more and more lithium ions no longer fit into the hollow spaces of the "sponge"; instead, they accumulate in piles around the electrodes and hinder the movement of other ions. The performance of the battery decreases.

The pile formations show characteristic patterns in the process: because lithium occurs in nature in two different isotopes. "We now know that the distribution of lithium isotopes in a cell is directly related to its age state," explains Carlos Abad, head of the project. The chemist and his colleague Dalia Morcillo have analyzed this distribution in more detail using spectral analysis.

This involves exciting lithium ions with light, which they absorb to varying degrees. "The images of these isotope spectra are almost indistinguishable to the naked eye," explains Dalia Morcillo. "They resemble each other like the faces of twins."

This gave the team the idea of using algorithms from face recognition for the evaluation. As a result, the researchers have found a method to quickly determine the isotope distribution in a cell.

"In the next step, we want to provide companies that produce lithium batteries with a fast and inexpensive method to evaluate the aging behavior of their batteries already in the laboratory," says Carlos Abad. "This should make it possible to make batteries more durable and ultimately more sustainable in the future."
https://www.elektroniknet.de/automo...gorithmen-zur-alterungsbestimmung.195385.html

• Fire
Reactions: 8 users

Dolci

Regular
Here we go again! Lolci. Not falling for the deception this time. Stick your chart where the Sun don’t shine.
WOW... Yeah, you must be there already ... 🥱

Reactions: 3 users

JoMo68

Regular
Hi Dolci, nice to have you back onboard.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Top Bottom