BRN Discussion Ongoing

Morning FF you mean this :)

Exactly.

Keep this article in mind while casting your mind back to 2021 on HC and try to recall the almost daily commentary that Renesas was a nothing deal. The constant ‘If Renesas was doing anything they would have released something by now and Renesas came to nothing etc; etc; etc;’

Retail investors are considered sheep only in the markets to be shorn by the so called sophisticated market participants when it is the right season.

Brainchip is potentially the once in a lifetime opportunity that most retail will one day talk about as the if only opportunity they missed or let slip through their hands.

If Brainchip succeeds to the point of being that opportunity I will not be amongst the group saying if only.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 61 users
Don't mind me I'm just posting it again for the people waiting in the bus station.

“The other side is the embedded AI with DRP dynamically reconfigurable processor for vision solutions. That’s a feedforward neural network rather than a convolutional neural network (CNN), and it offers reasonable 0.5TOPS to 10TOPS at very low power compared to day the Nvidia or Intel equivalent. From my perspective RISC-V will evolve into that areas in the not too distant future.
“So that’s kind of the plan that we have, to evolve that into that landscape,” he said. “At the very low end, we have added an ARM M33 MCU and spiking neural network with BrainChip core licensed for selected applications – we have licensed what we need to license from BrainChip including the software to get the ball rolling.”

Moon Crypto GIF by ProBit Global
I just love the fact that all the big players in semi conductors are at war and they are all buying their bullets from Brainchip.

I will fully support the winner.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 63 users

TheFunkMachine

seeds have the potential to become trees.
Taking about marketing the Commsec interview with Sean Hehir was advertised on 25 May, 2022 it is now 28 May, 2022.

It was Tweeted about by both Brainchip and Commsec and no date of release mentioned by either party.

Why the delay in it being published?

Crazy speculation did they discuss something in advance of it occurring which by agreement Commsec is delaying the release until it occurs???

It cannot be my birthday because that was earlier this month so what might it be???

My wild speculation no research required DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Wouldn’t that be considered fraudulent in some way revealing price sensitive information before it is released to market. Insider trading of some sort?

Of course I would love it if there is a mega Ann coming on Monday before interview is released! :)

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Wouldn’t that be considered fraudulent in some way revealing price sensitive information before it is released to market. Insider trading of some sort?

Of course I would love it if there is a mega Ann coming on Monday before interview is released! :)
It is not insider trading if the person does not insider trade.

If you find $10,000 in the street and pick it up it could be the offence of ‘Steal by Finding’ if you put it in your pocket and keep it.

If you put it in your pocket and go to the police and hand it in it is not.

We can all have insider knowledge but it only becomes an offence when we do the wrong thing with that information.

In the Bible it states the thought is as bad as the deed in the real word thinking without acting is fine.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 28 users

Baisyet

Regular
Taking about marketing the Commsec interview with Sean Hehir was advertised on 25 May, 2022 it is now 28 May, 2022.

It was Tweeted about by both Brainchip and Commsec and no date of release mentioned by either party.

Why the delay in it being published?

Crazy speculation did they discuss something in advance of it occurring which by agreement Commsec is delaying the release until it occurs???

It cannot be my birthday because that was earlier this month so what might it be???

My wild speculation no research required DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
I have been looking for it as well thinking if i missed it and i was goggling it as well so apparently it hasn't been published yet.

• Fire
Reactions: 4 users
"So think about this just one tiny little percent of 29 billion chips is 290,000,000 or TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY MILLION CHIPS. WOW."
Hey @Fact Finder.
Either the beers I've had have kicked in hard but I think your math is off a bit on that equation?
Or you just can’t do math ,FF is on the money!
Let’s aim for at least 8% i think that’s not being to greedy, nor is it underselling our product.
So 8 times 290 million = 2 320 000 000
Now that looks better

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

MDhere

Regular
It is not insider trading if the person does not insider trade.

If you find $10,000 in the street and pick it up it could be the offence of ‘Steal by Finding’ if you put it in your pocket and keep it.

If you put it in your pocket and go to the police and hand it in it is not.

We can all have insider knowledge but it only becomes an offence when we do the wrong thing with that information.

In the Bible it states the thought is as bad as the deed in the real word thinking without acting is fine.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Das ist true, but i personally don't trust commsec and its agents so i doubt very much that Sean would have slipped up. Perhaps it's publication is being bought by a news team like channel 7 etc am agreed segment was made. If that's the case that would be a great exposure agreement hence the only delay. perhaps aired 10 june. :)

Reactions: 6 users
Or you just can’t do math ,FF is on the money!
Let’s aim for at least 8% i think that’s not being to greedy, nor is it underselling our product.
So 8 times 290 million = 2 320 000 000
Now that looks better
No I only do 1, 10, 100, 1,000 etc;
on the same basis that AKIDA only processes 1’s ease of multiplication. 😂🤣😎FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 15 users

Earlyrelease

Regular
What I am loving about all of this, is the fact that Akida, being a component which many many many other customers can bolt on, adapt and produce bespoke products for their customers. By retaining their own corporate appetite to succeed and beat their rivals ( read- drive innovation in the use and maximising of Akida) all while quietly paying royalties to BRN while slowly the percentage of chips containing Akida grows. The safe one or ten percentage of market share will in my opinion be made to look like a major understatement. FF analogy of selling arms to both warring parties is exactly this.
For those WA stalwarts patience is a virtue and look at what’s happens to those that have stuck in there with the Dockers.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 12 users

FJ-215

Regular
AN ABSOLUTE MUST READ.
AKIDA BALLISTA
AKIDA UBIQUITOUS:

ARM battles RISC-V at Renesas

ARM battles RISC-V at Renesas​

Interviews | May 27, 2022
Renesas Electronics is looking to catch up in the ARM microcontroller and processor markets, but also looking at the emerging RISC-V cores and new spiking AI accelerators to boost machine learning in the Internet of Things (IoT). At the same time a deal with Arduino aims to drive its chips…
By Nick Flaherty

Share:

Renesas Electronics is looking to catch up in the ARM microcontroller and processor markets, but also looking at the emerging RISC-V cores and new spiking AI accelerators to boost machine learning in the Internet of Things (IoT).

At the same time a deal with Arduino aims to drive its chips into many more areas, says Dr. Sailesh Chittipeddi, Executive Vice President and General Manager of IoT and Infrastructure Business Unit of Renesas Electronics talking to eeNews Europe.
“We’ve been doing a lot over the last several years,” said Chittipeddi. “We are primarily strengthening our microcontroller and microprocessor core capabilities which is the heart and soul of the business. We had fallen behind in the ARM ecosystem and we had a strong push to catch up and we have been. We are a long way from being the leader in this market, but the early indicators are good,” he said.
This desire to catch up is reflected by the showing of the first device using the ARM Cortex-M85 core, the highest performance microcontroller core, at Embedded World next month. But with the recent acquisitions of Dialog Semiconductor in the UK and Celeno in Israel the company is adding more wireless capabilities as well as a whole new FPGA business.

With the future of ARM uncertain with the failed Nvidia bid and now a public offering, the company is also looking at the RISC-V alternative through deals with Andes Technology and SiFive as well as its own internal development.
The company is used to dealing with multiple instruction set architectures. Over the years it has subsumed the Hitachi SuperH and Mitsubishi microcontroller technologies into its own proprietary families alongside a wide range of ARM-based devices.
“So the other side, we’ve introduced our first RISC-V based products as well into the marketplace, which is actually quite exciting from my perspective. And one of the main reasons why we went ahead with the RISC-V products as opposed to test chips, which a lot of people spoke about was really to make sure that we didn’t fall behind,” he said.
The first 32bit cores and devices are targeted at specific applications. “One being the motor controller and the other being the voice based device. So those two are first two products but we will have a portfolio of products which will introduce over the next several years for certain target markets,” he said.
“On the MPU side that was a major reboot because that business is primarily focused on ASICs and high end R-Car devices. So what we did do is we did a major pivot again about roughly about three years ago to go after two categories of products. One is the general purpose microprocessor, which is a 64 bit microprocessor and ranging from the A53 all the way to A72AE [safety critical] cores.
The other side is the embedded AI with DRP dynamically reconfigurable processor for vision solutions. That’s a feedforward neural network rather than a convolutional neural network (CNN), and it offers reasonable 0.5TOPS to 10TOPS at very low power compared to day the Nvidia or Intel equivalent. From my perspective RISC-V will evolve into that areas in the not too distant future.
“So that’s kind of the plan that we have, to evolve that into that landscape,” he said. “At the very low end, we have added an ARM M33 MCU and spiking neural network with BrainChip core licensed for selected applications – we have licensed what we need to license from BrainChip including the software to get the ball rolling.”
“The MPU with RISC-V allows us to go int a new class of applications,” he said. “With RISC-V its all a question of time. I do see ARM now offering custom instructions but I do see the open ecosystem starting to play a role with the geopolitical tensions and that will provide some necessary impetus in certain regions to head in that direction and that will the ecosystem
“To ARM’s credit the ecosystem they have developed is unparalleled and it would be difficult for RISC-V to catch up even with all its strong backing, it’ll take quite a bit of time.”
So Renesas has deals with both Andes and SiFive for RISC-V cores.
“For us to get to the market quickly we went with the Andes cores on the microcontrollers and we partnered with SiFive. It’s not that we are confused, its about the time to market and internally we are developing our own optimised architectures, and the software that needs to be developed we are doing in parallel.”
Security is also vital with the UK as a key design centre. “We are spending a lot of time on security particularly side channel attacks, tamper resistance, going beyond ARM’s TrustZone,” he said. “ At the moment we think our internal efforts are leading with centres in the UK and Japan and obviously edge devices are more vulnerable.”
The recent acquisition of Dialog Semiconductor also brought FPGA technology into the company for the first time.
“The issues with CPUs is they are single threaded in general and the option to multithread is to add cores. The nice thing about FPGAs is they allow multithreading but with expense and more complex software. So what Dialog did with GreenPak was come up with a configurable engine with 5000 gates or 1000 to 2000 look up tables and drawing 20uA and a cost of 50c or below at high volume so you can see why it is well positioned against a typical multicore CPU. This kind of moves more towards a faster approach in that direction We don’t complete with Intel or AMD or Lattice or Microchip, they have much more horsepower.
The tools are an important element for the ease of development. “With the software we offer both HDL and the more traditional Verilog approaches but the nice thing about GreenPak was the GUI was easy to use and we are taking a very similar approach for the Forge FPGA so its an easy to use GUI that will be very similar for the users of GreenPak to adopt and you can copackage a Forge FPGA with a GreenPak state machine. Down the pike you can see an integrated solution.”
Many of the microcontrollers are built on legacy process technologies that suit the analog and mixed signal peripherals, rather than the leading edge technologies. However the pressure on these legacy process technologies have been one of the key factors in the chip shortage.
“We are well equipped with our foundry partners, especially at 40nm and 25nm which continue to be tight but the bulk of MCU and MPU is internal capacity on 40, 25 and 22nm which is where we will be over the next few years,” he said. “At 28 to 180nm in foundry, that’s the tightest in the world and that will take another couple of years to free up given the lead times for the equipment are stretching to 30 months up from 18 months. It will take quite some time for even the greenfield projects to come on line so there will be glut in capacity in time but the good thing in general is there are corrections in the market but the overall semiconductor consumption is going up massively in automotive and industrial automation and digitalisation, that’s driving a lot of long term growth,” he said.
“We are still a way away from a 3nm world. Our most advanced MPUs are 7/5nm but that’s driven by high end applications largely in the industrial ecosystem. What we are doing for the first time is going to the 1-2GHz range with general purpose MPUs and we will be getting to that level of performance on MCUs but that can be at a node that’s a level behind
He plans to have an MCU running over 1GHz next year but it is the mix of cores that is key as well as connectivity.
“We are moving to a world that’s less CPU or MPU to more AI centric and that will drive changes with intelligence moving to the edge,” he said. “That’s an important trend, driving the need for maximum compute at the lowest power consumption.
“For us one of the weak points was connectivity as we were trying to do it all in-house,” he said. “Dialog gave us the low power for wearables, earbuds and headsets and they had a 2.4GHz solution for low power WiFi. We felt we needed a path to WiFi5 and 6, 6E as we see 6E having a bigger role in industrial hence the Israel deal and that gives us 2.4GHz, 5GHz and 6GHz. With MCUs you need access to the cloud, you need seamless access to the cloud.”
The Arduino deal is also key he says.
“We have formed a strategic partnership with Arduino as they have this base of 30m users and by working with them we think we have a good opportunity for MCUs, sensors, power and connectivity,” he said. “I think Arduino will move into a broader application space by working with an outfit such as us with our base of industrial customers and they have their roadmaps to expand so we have an opportunity to work with them. Even if its hobbyist it’s a pathway to get university students hooked on Arduino today and they will be the engineers tomorrow making the buying decisions”
Cracking find FF,

To dig a little deeper in to this article, take note of the mention of supply shortages.

Many of the microcontrollers are built on legacy process technologies that suit the analog and mixed signal peripherals, rather than the leading edge technologies. However the pressure on these legacy process technologies have been one of the key factors in the chip shortage.

“We are well equipped with our foundry partners, especially at 40nm and 25nm which continue to be tight but the bulk of MCU and MPU is internal capacity on 40, 25 and 22nm which is where we will be over the next few years,” he said. “At 28 to 180nm in foundry, that’s the tightest in the world and that will take another couple of years to free up given the lead times for the equipment are stretching to 30 months up from 18 months. It will take quite some time for even the greenfield projects to come on line so there will be glut in capacity in time but the good thing in general is there are corrections in the market but the overall semiconductor consumption is going up massively in automotive and industrial automation and digitalisation, that’s driving a lot of long term growth,” he said.

I can remember Anil talking about 22nm (Tech Field Day?) which I thought was odd at the time. If they were looking for a performance boost, why not go to 14nm or below? Maybe because Renesas has it in house.

As for supply problems at 28nm, good reason to drop out of producing chips and focus solely on IP.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 29 users

GrandRhino

Founding Member
Renesas, Renesas so good I posted this part twice:

“The other side is the embedded AI with DRP dynamically reconfigurable processor for vision solutions. That’s a feedforward neural network rather than a convolutional neural network (CNN), and it offers reasonable 0.5TOPS to 10TOPS at very low power compared to day the Nvidia or Intel equivalent. From my perspective RISC-V will evolve into that areas in the not too distant future.
“The MPU with RISC-V allows us to go int a new class of applications,” he said. “With RISC-V its all a question of time. I do see ARM now offering custom instructions but I do see the open ecosystem starting to play a role with the geopolitical tensions and that will provide some necessary impetus in certain regions to head in that direction and that will the ecosystem”

I am exceedingly confident that we will be $2.75 at least by Christmas and playing with $5.00 next year.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Great article FF!

I found this new product shared on twitter, which looks like it could be using our IP?

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users

GrandRhino

Founding Member
Great article FF!

I found this new product shared on twitter, which looks like it could be using our IP?
I'm don't know much about all the technical side, but definitely sounds like it could be

RZBoard V2L​

P22_762_RZBoard_2VL_762x432_4.png

RZBoard V2L is a power efficient, vision-AI accelerated development board in popular single board computer format with well supported expansion interfaces. This Renesas RZ/V2L processor-based platform is ideal for development of cost-efficient Vision-AI and a range of energy-efficient Edge AI applications. It’s RZ/V2L processor has two 1.2GHz Arm® Cortex®-A55 cores plus a 200MHz Cortex-M33 core, a MALI 3D GPU and Image Scaling Unit. This processor SoC further differentiates itself with an on-chip DRP-AI accelerator plus H.264 video (1920 x 1080) encode/decode function in silicon, making it ideal for implementing cost-effective embedded-vision applications.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users
Great article FF!

I think you might have cracked it for a biscuit GR it is using the ARM M33 as stated in the article.

Wake up @Diogenese we need you to come out of your barrel and take a look please.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 20 users

TheFunkMachine

seeds have the potential to become trees.
https://www.arm.com/blogs/blueprint/raspberry-pi-rp2040

Considering our known partnerships with edge impulse and Arm, and our Raspberry Pi evolvement. Is it a far stretch to think this custom Arm chip, Raspberry Pi development has our IP involved?

I mean the use the word ubiquity! It has to be brainchip lol

Attachments

• B97FF775-9EB4-46EE-AFB9-A41DED336826.jpeg
    B97FF775-9EB4-46EE-AFB9-A41DED336826.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users

GrandRhino

Founding Member
I think you might have cracked it for a biscuit GR it is using the ARM M33 as stated in the article.

Wake up @Diogenese we need you to come out of your barrel and take a look please.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Also found this down the rabbit hole, haven't got to read it through fully but it sounds promising.

Renesas has developed the DRP-AI (Dynamically Reconfigurable Processor for AI) as an AI accelerator with high-speed AI inference processing that achieves the low power and flexibility required by endpoints based on the reconfigurable processor technology it has cultivated over many years.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
Cracking find FF,

To dig a little deeper in to this article, take note of the mention of supply shortages.

I can remember Anil talking about 22nm (Tech Field Day?) which I thought was odd at the time. If they were looking for a performance boost, why not go to 14nm or below? Maybe because Renesas has it in house.

As for supply problems at 28nm, good reason to drop out of producing chips and focus solely on IP.
It also confirms what I was saying the other day about Renesas producing their own chips in house and can decide what to produce and when.

RENESAS is the perfect partner in more ways than one particularly when there is a global shortage of slots in foundries.

Great pick up on the 22nm FJ-215 it is there in Anil Mankar’s presentation as you have said.

There is a nice little psychological marketing tool in play in this article with the Brainchip NASA connection dropped in the middle.

Renesas is telling its customers by the way this is being used by NASA.

Watching manipulation in all its forms is fun until you are on the receiving end.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 41 users

MDhere

Regular
No I only do 1, 10, 100, 1,000 etc;
on the same basis that AKIDA only processes 1’s ease of multiplication. 😂🤣😎FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
ok let's make it 10 then, that's my favourite number

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 8 users
Also found this down the rabbit hole, haven't got to read it through fully but it sounds promising.

Again another one for @Diogenese

@GrandRhino we need to be careful with DRP rabbit holes at Renesas because they had their own Ai program in place before they came on board and DRP products in the market that were less advanced compared with AKIDA.

@Diogenese looked at it when @MC🐠 found it very early on and was doing cartwheels.

It is clear AKIDA is now in play but there will be old stock so to speak that could confuse the situation as it does not have AKIDA.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 17 users
The 1,000 Eyes the closest thing there is to legal insider trading. LOL

FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 29 users