BRN Discussion Ongoing

TechGirl

Founding Member
Just came across this, not sure if its been posted.

Neuromorphic AI at Edge with BrainChip​

May 12, 2022
Add Comment
by Sulagna Saha

Neuromorphic computing may still be at an emerging stage, but there are companies hard at work trying to harness its power to make AI more accurate, responsive and energy efficient. Jerome Nadel, who is the new Chief Marketing Officer at frequent Tech Field Day presenter, BrainChip Holdings Ltd, met with us for a virtual briefing to talk about BrainChip’s neuromorphic AI IP and the latest AI enablement program.

Edge AI Faces Some Serious Stumbling Blocks on Its Way​

For much of the past decade AI has been in steady development and evolution in that space has been pretty staggering as a result. But even with things rolling at a seemingly great speed, the edge device market is facing some steep challenges around AI implementation. Organizations are scrambling to meet skyrocketing needs for capability, compute and bandwidth in effect of the data explosion. Most of the data acquired is low quality and not actionable, and so far providers have been able to do relatively little to help with this situation.
Moreover, when AI is distributed, it is for one, more energy-intensive, and for another high on latency. As if that wasn’t bad enough, distributed AI comes with a steep memory requirement and lots of data inferencing, all of which accumulate into cost. All told, the road ahead for edge AI seems rocky, if not worse.

The Way Ahead​

The most obvious next steps from here would be to bring AI to edge and reduce cloud dependency. So instead of hauling loads of data back to the data center every second, getting these data processed at the point of acquisition can reduce time and latency, and hopefully prevent inflation of computation costs. This can have more than just a few benefits including energy savings, bare minimal latency, low bandwidth and reduced memory requirements and superior inferencing from small data batches. In other words, having AI embedded in edge endpoints can have enormous payoffs.

BrainChip’s Vision to Close the Chasm between Analog and Digital​

The cry for help seems to have reached the ears of one company that is breaking ground in the edge AI space with its neuromorphic AI IP. BrainChip, the name behind Mercedes VISION EQXX’s in-cabin AI, is well on its way to change the way AI is done at the edge.
BrainChip-Akida-IP.jpg
Image Provided by BrainChip
An ambitious player in the AI space for long, BrainChip is a familiar name as the producer of ultra low-energy neuromorphic AI IP. Akida, BrainChip’s neuromorphic processor IP applies in-chip neuromorphic AI to compute and analyze essential sensor data at very low energy consumption. Inferencing data on the chip, it passes only the lighter inference data on to the memory careful not to overload it. With capabilities like simultaneous processing of multi-sensor modalities, on-chip one-shot learning, event-based learning, cloud independent, Akida is a processor IP that is focused on delivering essential data only.
In a recent collaboration with Swiss behavioral analytics AI company, NVISO, BrainChip addressed the growing need for AI to have power efficiency and higher performance with plans to integrate two of the companies’ solutions.
Distancing itself from its former identity as a chip company, BrainChip is now rebranding as solely an IP company with its recent collaborations and announcements. Under its current leadership, Nadel sees BrainChip playing a role in the future where humans’ interaction with the digital is more seamless and organic.

BrainChip’s New AI Enablement Program​

Earlier this week, BrainChip announced a three tier AI enablement program that provides companies support for design, development and integration of AI based on use cases. The program is split into three packages that are Basic Prototype, Advanced Prototype and Functioning Prototype.
Under the basic package, the offerings include hardware- PCIe boards and development systems, a production-ready ML model from BrainChip’s model zoo and a session of virtual training. Targeted towards businesses that are seeking to achieve a basic prototype, it also includes 35 hours of support.
The Advanced and Functioning Prototype packages each deliver one and two custom model designs respectively along with more hardware, sets of AKD1000 chips and longer hours of support.

In Conclusion​

To fully realize the potential of AI at edge, we need really powerful processor IPs that can closely imitate biological neural computation in selection and analysis of sensor data and inferring with higher accuracy and lower power consumption. BrainChip’s Akida IP does both by providing breakthrough economics in energy footprints and surprisingly low latency by keeping AI local while making on-chip AI models better and more accurate at inferring and learning with neuromorphic computing. Special thanks to Jerome Nadel for taking the time to talk with us and Mark Smith for setting up the interview.
Find out more about BrainChip’s edge AI technology on their website or check out their previous Field Day presentations. For more exclusives like this one, keep reading here at gestaltit.com.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 47 users

Toto111

I rarely post but troll through this incredibly informative forum on a daily basis. Thanks to all those who contribute at so many different levels.

Interesting days ahead. So much potential and just a few acknowledgements of partnerships away from explosive growth. I can feel the momentum building. It's highly improbable that at least a few critical partnerships don't come to fruition. Hopefully we bag an elephant.

• Fire
Reactions: 47 users
I agree and think we will soon begin to see the Brainchip name being flown as a badge of honor and a sign of competitive advantage by those companies who are utilising our tech.

But I would also go a step further and say a snowball effect of sorts is already occurring. A remarkable number of customers and users have been unearthed in recent weeks. Behind closed doors for over 12 months our team have busily going about introducing our new disruptive tech to market. As early adopters and customers work through its testing and implementation our team have been there to provide support and educate these companies on how to maximise their own competitive advantage from Akida. But the snowball has now started to grow so large that it has become almost impossible to conceal and will eventually reveal itself in our revenue figures. Exactly when this will be, only time will tell. But my belief is when it does its scale will surprise many. As will its continued growth trajectory quarter on quarter for years to come.

Hi all,

I am looking forward to an increase in revenue next 1/4 but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself. I was expecting more revenue last 1/4 and was disappointed. And the projection was “lumpy.”

I have full confidence in the team including the CFO and I can’t see why they would have borrowed the large amount they did if they didn’t expect to be needing it. That indicates to me the revenue may come in as a trickle to start with.

Also appreciating how long it takes from signing to production to revenue.

Obviously awareness is growing and we are starting to see results (Thanks to the 1000 eyes in joining the dots) but it still might take some time to see the royalty revenues flowing freely.

I hope I’m wrong but I’m content to wait until 2025 to really see the profits flowing. I’ll be waiting patiently until then.

I’ve got my ticket which I’m not giving up as I don’t want to miss the bus!

GLTAH

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users

Diogenese

Top 20
I wonder if we're still in Xilinks' good books.

https://brainchip.com/brainchip-int...n-of-neuromorphic-computing-brainchip-120917/

September 12, 2017

BrainChip Introduces World’s First Commercial Hardware Acceleration Of Neuromorphic Computing​

As the first commercial implementation of a hardware-accelerated spiking neural network system, BrainChip Accelerator is a significant milestone in the development of neuromorphic computing, a branch of artificial intelligence that simulates neuron functions. The processing is done by six BrainChip Accelerator cores in a Xilinx Kintex Ultrascale field-programmable gate array (FPGA). Each core performs fast, user-defined image scaling, spike generation, and spiking neural network comparison to recognize objects. Scaling images up and down increases the probability of finding objects, and due to the low-power characteristics of spiking neural networks, each core consumes approximately one watt while processing up to 100 frames per second. In comparison to GPU-accelerated deep learning classification neural networks like GoogleNet and AlexNet, this is a 7x improvement of frames/second/watt.

Christoph Fritsch, Senior Director for industrial, scientific and medical business at Xilinx, added, “Xilinx is at the forefront of artificial intelligence acceleration. BrainChip’s spiking neural network technology is unique in its ability to provide outstanding performance while avoiding the math intensive, power hungry, and high-cost downsides of deep learning in convolutional neural networks.

Apparently Xilink is now called American Sun Components, and they have their fingers in lots of pies:

https://www.ascnow.com/what-we-do?msclkid=38f3bd13409a1221be92df938a18a7f3&gclid=

and have lots of friends:

1652608539901.png

especially in Texas.

Is it possible to have an avalanche on the tip of an iceberg?

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 42 users
I wonder if we're still in Xilinks' good books.

https://brainchip.com/brainchip-int...n-of-neuromorphic-computing-brainchip-120917/

September 12, 2017

BrainChip Introduces World’s First Commercial Hardware Acceleration Of Neuromorphic Computing​

As the first commercial implementation of a hardware-accelerated spiking neural network system, BrainChip Accelerator is a significant milestone in the development of neuromorphic computing, a branch of artificial intelligence that simulates neuron functions. The processing is done by six BrainChip Accelerator cores in a Xilinx Kintex Ultrascale field-programmable gate array (FPGA). Each core performs fast, user-defined image scaling, spike generation, and spiking neural network comparison to recognize objects. Scaling images up and down increases the probability of finding objects, and due to the low-power characteristics of spiking neural networks, each core consumes approximately one watt while processing up to 100 frames per second. In comparison to GPU-accelerated deep learning classification neural networks like GoogleNet and AlexNet, this is a 7x improvement of frames/second/watt.

Christoph Fritsch, Senior Director for industrial, scientific and medical business at Xilinx, added, “Xilinx is at the forefront of artificial intelligence acceleration. BrainChip’s spiking neural network technology is unique in its ability to provide outstanding performance while avoiding the math intensive, power hungry, and high-cost downsides of deep learning in convolutional neural networks.

Apparently Xilink is now called American Sun Components, and they have their fingers in lots of pies:

https://www.ascnow.com/what-we-do?msclkid=38f3bd13409a1221be92df938a18a7f3&gclid=

and have lots of friends:

View attachment 6680
especially in Texas.

Is it possible to have an avalanche on the tip of an iceberg?
We really need to be able to add multiple emoji’s because a lot of posts deserve, on fire, love it and a lol all at the same time! 🔥❤️🤣

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 30 users

hamilton66

Regular
Possible different application avenue? Or maybe just a side project for the R&D team? I like the objectives

🛤️ reducing the risk of collisions with large ungulates (deer, roe deer, wild boar) on road and rail transport infrastructure

🌾 the evaluation of biodiversity conservation systems in agricultural environments (hedge networks, etc.)

View attachment 6648

View attachment 6649

📷 AIoT for biodiversity 🦌

🆕 🎯 How to combine artificial intelligence (#IA) and the Internet of Things (#IoT) for the benefit of #biodiversité? This is the challenge we are tackling alongside two other companies and three French #recherche institutes, by starting an R&D project called Psi-Biom ("Platform #numérique of integrated services for the monitoring of biodiversity by connected objects and modeling").

This project benefits from state funding as part of the Investments for the Future.

🎙️ 🖥️ One of psi-Biom's objectives is to design a technological chain called #AIoT ("Artificial intelligence of things", a combination of artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things) for the monitoring of animal species. It aims to combine the use of #capteurs arranged in nature, capable of collecting photographic and sound data on the presence of #animaux, and the use of AI for the analysis of this data, including the automatic identification of #espèces.

📏 📊 The #technologies developed as part of the Psi-Biom project will enable all actors involved in biodiversity management to better size their actions and monitor their real effectiveness over time. This concerns in particular local authorities, ecological engineering design offices, infrastructure managers, spatial planning operators, or managers of natural areas.

During its implementation, the project will focus particularly on two types of applications:

🛤️ reducing the risk of collisions with large ungulates (deer, roe deer, wild boar) on road and rail transport infrastructure

🌾 the evaluation of biodiversity conservation systems in agricultural environments (hedge networks, etc.)

🤝 ⏩ Our partners in this project are specialized in the design of communicating sensors (BrainChip, SiConsult ), #écologie (Functional Ecology and Environment Laboratory - LEFE), communication systems and data collection (IRIT (Institut de Recherche en Informatique de Toulouse) ), and artificial intelligence (Computer Science and Systems Laboratory - LIS).
Great post! Identifies to all s/hs that these "little "markets are being identified, and chased. Look to the future. They won't be little markets. They'll potentially be big revenue earners for BRN. As F/F has said many times, AI will gradually embed in markets that previously have not existed. Incredibly exciting times for all s/hs. U just need faith, and a fair degree of courage. Pantene!
GLTA

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 27 users

Kachoo

Regular
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 7 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Unless they have decieded to let someone else make their chops and sell them and focus innthe IP only?
The chips were ever only the burly. The IP feeding frenzy has begun.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 40 users

hamilton66

Regular
G'day hammy, have not traded Brn in ages, The path of epic company growth is just around the corner, have been buying bits and pieces along the way. Have finally got a good mate to buy in had to show him the dollars I've made to get the point across (hate doing that) but seemed like the only way to get his undivided attention. Then proceeded to spam the fk out of him with research regarding Brn. Lol he now deeply regrets laughing at me when I suggested buying from 5 cents to 10 cents. Now he's be obsessed 🤣life is so so mate have endured a lot of bullshit last two years. Hope all is well for you and those you love.
Going well mate. Have a 6.6c buy in average, with a healthy chunk. That said, have been in for years, and in the early days, had some very nervous moments. Not good to hear that life is "so so " Hopefully things are starting to turn around. We all go thru shit spots mate. Stay strong. BRN s/p in 12 mths time hopefully registers on ur happiness dial. Stay in touch!
GLTA

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

Luppo71

Founding Member
Everything everyone, don't get on much so sorry if been posted before but this sounds interesting.

• Thinking
  • Fire
Reactions: 21 users
View attachment 6679
Must be some real juicy revenue coming in soon for them to shutdown a potential revenue stream like chip sales 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑
AN off the wall idea.

The original reason shareholders were told for the production of the AKD1000 chip was that the revolutionary nature of the AKIDA technology caused many of the EAP’s and proof of concept customers to be reticent about the claims made as to performance and required silicon to be satisfied and move on to commercial contracts.

The statement that Brainchip is repositioning itself as an IP supplier is in fact where Brainchip has been heading since 2015 when Peter van der Made stated the companies plan was to follow the ARM model.

AKD2000 was definitely in my opinion ready prior to Christmas to be sent to Engineering. Peter van der Made and his team were already working on AKD3000 with cortical column.

Ken Scarince in his presentation to German investors had it going to TSMC mid this year, he had an approximate cost in his budget and was solid on the idea that the momentum had to be maintained and AKD2000 had to be produced to maintain the commercial advantage.

Anil Mankar spoke to AKD2000 coming out this year.

If there was going to be a delay a couple of months at most was a reasonable expectation yet the last statement from Sean Hehir has the AKD2000 thrown off into next year.

This from the CEO who only a few months ago was calling out how critical it was to get AKD2000 out ahead of the pack to maintain the competitive advantage.

The AKD1000 IP was released in the first half of 2019 to select customers of Brainchip the best part of 16 months before AKD1000 was produced in silicon.

So my off the wall idea is that the credibility wall that AKD1000 IP faced has collapsed with the production of the more efficient than expected AKD1000 commercial chip and selling AKD2000 with LSTM does not require silicon as Mercedes’ Benz, Valeo, Nviso, SiFive, MegaChips, Renesas, NASA, DARPA etc; believe in the AKIDA technology Revolution.

This saves Brainchip 5 to 7 million in production costs of the AKD2000 if this idea holds water.

The reason Brainchip has not disclosed the availability of the AKD2000 IP is because of some very significant relationship in the Defence, Aerospace or Automotive space.

My speculation only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 64 users

Slade

Top 20
AN off the wall idea.

The original reason shareholders were told for the production of the AKD1000 chip was that the revolutionary nature of the AKIDA technology caused many of the EAP’s and proof of concept customers to be reticent about the claims made as to performance and required silicon to be satisfied and move on to commercial contracts.

The statement that Brainchip is repositioning itself as an IP supplier is in fact where Brainchip has been heading since 2015 when Peter van der Made stated the companies plan was to follow the ARM model.

AKD2000 was definitely in my opinion ready prior to Christmas to be sent to Engineering. Peter van der Made and his team were already working on AKD3000 with cortical column.

Ken Scarince in his presentation to German investors had it going to TSMC mid this year, he had an approximate cost in his budget and was solid on the idea that the momentum had to be maintained and AKD2000 had to be produced to maintain the commercial advantage.

Anil Mankar spoke to AKD2000 coming out this year.

If there was going to be a delay a couple of months at most was a reasonable expectation yet the last statement from Sean Hehir has the AKD2000 thrown off into next year.

This from the CEO who only a few months ago was calling out how critical it was to get AKD2000 out ahead of the pack to maintain the competitive advantage.

The AKD1000 IP was released in the first half of 2019 to select customers of Brainchip the best part of 16 months before AKD1000 was produced in silicon.

So my off the wall idea is that the credibility wall that AKD1000 IP faced has collapsed with the production of the more efficient than expected AKD1000 commercial chip and selling AKD2000 with LSTM does not require silicon as Mercedes’ Benz, Valeo, Nviso, SiFive, MegaChips, Renesas, NASA, DARPA etc; believe in the AKIDA technology Revolution.

This saves Brainchip 5 to 7 million in production costs of the AKD2000 if this idea holds water.

The reason Brainchip has not disclosed the availability of the AKD2000 IP is because of some very significant relationship in the Defence, Aerospace or Automotive space.

My speculation only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Sounds right to me. Why sell chips now when you can sell IP that will bring in life long royalties. I do think we saw some real changes to the companies strategy evolve when Sean came on board. At one stage I think we were set to release the Akida dongle. That seems to have taken a back step. I also think that the idea of selling one off boards via the website has been rethought. I wonder if these will be sold through another company. Will surely be real collectors items for those that purchased. BrainChip for sure are currently focused on their big customers. Must be having heaps of success. If you read our website it certainly sounds like Akida is already in the hands of a lot of big players. You don’t put the kind of sign BrainChip put up in Silicon Valley until you have got the jump on your competitors. I reckon 2022 is going to be BIG!!!

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 55 users

TheFunkMachine

seeds have the potential to become trees.
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users

Townyj

Ermahgerd
Sounds right to me. Why sell chips now when you can sell IP that will bring in life long royalties. I do think we saw some real changes to the companies strategy evolve when Sean came on board. At one stage I think we were set to release the Akida dongle. That seems to have taken a back step. I also think that the idea of selling one off boards via the website has been rethought. I wonder if these will be sold through another company. Will surely be real collectors items for those that purchased. BrainChip for sure are currently focused on their big customers. Must be having heaps of success. If you read our website it certainly sounds like Akida is already in the hands of a lot of big players. You don’t put the kind of sign BrainChip put up in Silicon Valley until you have got the jump on your competitors. I reckon 2022 is going to be BIG!!!

The website is a lot more polished and professional, they took away all the tacky things. I am sure if you emailed them, they would now forward you to a supplier instead of directly selling from the site. Being able to save on resources now is great, time is money. Intel/AMD and most others don't sell directly from their site's... So it was inevitable move.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Also @Rskiff it appears Dji is not in the poo.

i found this comment by Dji -
“These reports are false,” Adam Linsberg, the DJI North America Corporate Communication Director.

Drones are a minefield and well needs Akida to set them all straight to the EDGE not in cloudland. Keep your co-indinates safe by having the EDGE. 👍
I would still be hesitant dealing with DJI . The Chinese companies and government have a long long long history of only playing by their rules and are not forthcoming with honesty when it suits them .Just a fact .

• Sad

Slade

Top 20
Any business every penny counts and even if BRN chips sakes

Not often I don’t agree with something, but doesn’t every penny count, especially when it comes to business.
Pennies sure do count. I just think the that BRN is focusing their resources on the big pennies at the moment. Steering and encouraging the big boys to buy our IP rather than our chips.
Just an opinion. I could obviously have this very wrong.

• Love

Slade

Top 20
I would still be hesitant dealing with DJI . The Chinese companies and government have a long long long history of only playing by their rules and are not forthcoming with honesty when it suits them .Just a fact .
I think BrainChip itself should steer clear of dealing directly with China. Let Renesas deal with China. I am sure that this way BrainChip will derive a lot of revenue indirectly from China.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I think BrainChip itself should steer clear of dealing directly with China. Let Renesas deal with China. I am sure that this way BrainChip will derive a lot of revenue indirectly from China.
That’s a far better business tactic .

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
D

Deleted member 118

Pennies sure do count. I just think the that BRN is focusing their resources on the big pennies at the moment. Steering and encouraging the big boys to buy our IP rather than our chips.
Just an opinion. I could obviously have this very wrong.
I think BrN will be more interested in focusing having Akida implemented into the right products during the companies growing period than profits at this stage, just have to look at NASA, as to me NASA won’t be earning BrN much money at all, but working with nasa is worth it’s weight in gold alone.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 12 users

MDhere

Regular
i agree, the sales i believe will be coming from Renesas.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Top Bottom