BRN Discussion Ongoing

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
I just stumbled over this paper on Reddit.

6 mo. ago
Singularian2501

Embodied Neuromorphic Artificial Intelligence for Robotics: Perspectives, Challenges, and Research Development Stack - New York University 2024 - Highly important to make inference much much faster and allows if scaled in the hard and software stack running gpt-4 locally on humanoid robots!​

Paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2404.03325
In my opinion, neuromorphic computing is the future as it is far more power efficient than current GPUs that are only optimized for graphics. I think we need an NPU = neuromorphic processing unit in addition to the GPU. I also found it very important that models like gpt-4 (MLLM) can be copied and loaded from it, otherwise they become as useless as the TrueNorth chip, which cannot load models like gpt-4 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_computer#IBM_TrueNorth_chip . Spiking neural networks (SNN) are also far more energy efficient. They are the future of AI and especially robotics and MLLM inference. Deepmind - Mixture-of-Depths: Dynamically Allocation Compute in Transformer-based Language Models Paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2404.02258 show that the field must evolve towards biologically plausible SNN architectures and specialized neuromorphic computing chips that come with them. Because here the transformer is much more like a biological neuron that is only activated when it is needed. Either Nvidia or another chip company needs to develop the hardware and software stack that allows easy training of MLLM like gpt-4 with SNN running on neuromorphic hardware. In my opinion, this should enable 10,000x faster inference speeds while using 10,000x less energy, allowing MLLMs to run locally on robots, PCs and smartphones.
Abstract:
Robotic technologies have been an indispensable part for improving human productivity since they have been helping humans in completing diverse, complex, and intensive tasks in a fast yet accurate and efficient way. Therefore, robotic technologies have been deployed in a wide range of applications, ranging from personal to industrial use-cases. However, current robotic technologies and their computing paradigm still lack embodied intelligence to efficiently interact with operational environments, respond with correct/expected actions, and adapt to changes in the environments. Toward this, recent advances in neuromorphic computing with Spiking Neural Networks (SNN) have demonstrated the potential to enable the embodied intelligence for robotics through bio-plausible computing paradigm that mimics how the biological brain works, known as "neuromorphic artificial intelligence (AI)". However, the field of neuromorphic AI-based robotics is still at an early stage, therefore its development and deployment for solving real-world problems expose new challenges in different design aspects, such as accuracy, adaptability, efficiency, reliability, and security. To address these challenges, this paper will discuss how we can enable embodied neuromorphic AI for robotic systems through our perspectives: (P1) Embodied intelligence based on effective learning rule, training mechanism, and adaptability; (P2) Cross-layer optimizations for energy-efficient neuromorphic computing; (P3) Representative and fair benchmarks; (P4) Low-cost reliability and safety enhancements; (P5) Security and privacy for neuromorphic computing; and (P6) A synergistic development for energy-efficient and robust neuromorphic-based robotics. Furthermore, this paper identifies research challenges and opportunities, as well as elaborates our vision for future research development toward embodied neuromorphic AI for robotics.
r/mlscaling - Embodied Neuromorphic Artificial Intelligence for Robotics: Perspectives, Challenges, and Research Development Stack - New York University 2024 - Highly important to make inference much much faster and allows if scaled in the hard and software stack running gpt-4 locally on humanoid…
r/mlscaling - Embodied Neuromorphic Artificial Intelligence for Robotics: Perspectives, Challenges, and Research Development Stack - New York University 2024 - Highly important to make inference much much faster and allows if scaled in the hard and software stack running gpt-4 locally on humanoid…

https://www.reddit.com/r/mlscaling/comments/1bxci53/embodied_neuromorphic_artificial_intelligence_for/

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 51 users
  • Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 28 users

A good deal perhaps.
I wonder if you can buy a paper copy as I’m getting a new puppy very soon and it will need to be toilet trained

1728801128636.gif

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 15 users

More importantly, the "right" kind of pies 😉

View attachment 70918

They seem to be a relatively small player though, just going on a less than half the LinkedIn following, we have..

This is from 4 years ago, but shows they are a rapidly growing Company, well respected in their business community and definitely dealing with us, in my opinion.

Some relevant quotes from the article.

"Revenue has grown by a compounded annualized rate of 83% since 2017, according to the company" (to 2020, shows they know how to conduct business)

"Geisel Software specializes in customized software development, particularly in robotics but also in medical devices"

"Geisel has been quoted as an industry expert by Entrepreneur Magazine, Bloomberg Business, BBC, Forbes and others, the company said"

They are advertising Pico for us, but their interest, is most probably in TENNs?..

• Fire
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users

Harwig

Regular

This is from 4 years ago, but shows they are a rapidly growing Company, well respected in their business community and definitely dealing with us, in my opinion.

Some relevant quotes from the article.

"Revenue has grown by a compounded annualized rate of 83% since 2017, according to the company" (to 2020, shows they know how to conduct business)

"Geisel Software specializes in customized software development, particularly in robotics but also in medical devices"

"Geisel has been quoted as an industry expert by Entrepreneur Magazine, Bloomberg Business, BBC, Forbes and others, the company said"

They are advertising Pico for us, but their interest, is most probably in TENNs?..
Or both me thinks. Narrow it down to to Brainchip products.

Reactions: 6 users
Or both me thinks. Narrow it down to to Brainchip products.
The CEO and Founder is switched on.

He was "also" at Edge A.I. Vision Alliance 2024, which is where he most probably met us (or it possibly happened earlier)

Only 28 subscribers, but his channel is worth going over..
Possible links to Apple? As he describes their AR headset, in one of his clips, or just general tech information?..

A focus on robotics.

The Geisel Software channel has ~5500 subscribers, still very small.

A space worth watching..

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

7für7

Top 20
1728804535053.gif

So, once again briefly set a couple of people straight in the HC, put them on ignore, and now I’m looking forward to tomorrow!

• Haha
  • Love

rgupta

Regular

A good deal perhaps.
The deal is not about $1.90 per week but how much money you will invest on those recommendations and feel trapped with all your investment money.
I used the deal a few years ago and still struck with 5gn, Eml, avh, bth, kgn, mp1, eos etc. a few of those companies sold at less than the recommended price of buy that includes Nearmap, limeade.
Nxl is the only recommended share which revert from 50 cents to $7 but still lower than recommended price 3 years ago.
So there is no better way than to research yourself. Even if you lose money, you will learn from mistakes.
Dyor

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

7für7

Top 20
oh didn’t noticed that… RIP !! Thanks to @Dallas

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
View attachment 70940

So, once again briefly set a couple of people straight in the HC, put them on ignore, and now I’m looking forward to tomorrow!
Reminds me of the time my cat (since deceased 😐) was an adolescent and had diarrhea..

He was trying in vain to "cover" the resultant splatter pack, inside his kitty litter tray.

(I apologise for any unpleasant mental images, this story may evoke).

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users

Jimmy17

Regular
Good luck this week brainers!

• Love
Reactions: 24 users

BrainShit

Regular

I can well imagine that in addition to the X280, the X390 can also contain Akida as an accelerator.

"The SiFive Intelligence X390 builds upon the success of its predecessor, the SiFive Intelligence X280, in combining AI and ML applications with hardware accelerators for mobile, infrastructure, and automotive applications."

SiFive CEO Patrick Little said in a statement, “The flexibility of SiFive’s RISC-V solutions allows companies to address the unique computing requirements of these segments and capitalize on the momentum around generative AI, where we have seen double-digit design wins, and for other cutting-edge applications.”

He said the company has 350 design wins and customers include Intel, Amazon, Qualcomm, Samsung, Google, NASA and more. SiFive started in the embedded market and moved up the food chain to high-performance cores.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241013_113621_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20241013_113621_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 44
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
View attachment 70940

Don't even bother trying to talk logic to those doodle-heads @7für7. You'd have better luck communing with a rock IMO.

I personally wouldn't waste any of my precious kitty litter on them. Hehehe! 🐈 :poop:

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 14 users

Guzzi62

Regular
Don't even bother trying to talk logic to those doodle-heads @7für7. You'd have better luck communing with a rock IMO.

I personally wouldn't waste any of my precious kitty litter on them. Hehehe! 🐈 :poop:
Still some very competent posters over there, put the downramping clowns on ignore.

curdlednoodles over there posted the following research paper (dated Aug 2024) from:

Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Missouri University of
Science and Technology, 400 W. 13th Street, Rolla, MO, USA, 65409
2 Department of Computer Science, Missouri University of Science and Technology,
500 W. 15th Street, Rolla, MO, USA, 65409

Called:

Few-Shot Transfer Learning for Individualized Braking Intent Detection on Neuromorphic Hardware

Nathan Lutes, Venkata Sriram Siddhardh Nadendla, K. Krishnamurthy

Objective: This work explores use of a few-shot transfer learning method to train and implement a convolutional spiking neural network (CSNN) on a BrainChip Akida AKD1000 neuromorphic system-on-chip for developing individual-level, instead of traditionally used group-level, models using electroencephalographic data. The efficacy of the method is studied on an advanced driver assist system related task of predicting braking intention. Main Results: Efficacy of the above methodology to develop individual specific braking intention predictive models by rapidly adapting the group-level model in as few as three training epochs while achieving at least 90% accuracy, true positive rate and true negative rate is presented. Further, results show an energy reduction of over 97% with only a 1.3x increase in latency when using the Akida AKD1000 processor for network inference compared to an Intel Xeon CPU. Similar results were obtained in a subsequent ablation study using a subset of five out of 19 channels. Significance: Especially relevant to real-time applications, this work presents an energy-efficient, few-shot transfer learning method that is implemented on a neuromorphic processor capable of training a CSNN as new data becomes available, operating conditions change, or to customize group-level models to yield personalized models unique to each individual.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users

7für7

Top 20
IMG_6916.jpeg

Just watched spaceX … amazing chill out synth electro music while flying above the earth..

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Frangipani

Regular
EDGX displaying their work with Akida at the recent SPAICE conference

View attachment 69719
View attachment 69720

Speaking of EDGX:
I am somewhat surprised no one has yet commented on the fact that EDGX no longer seems to be in an exclusive relationship with us as their neuromorphic partner:

DD72A296-A6AA-4B3A-8789-BCD775BF8F18.jpeg

Some posters will want to make you believe that as soon as a company / research institution / consultancy has discovered us, they will only have eyes for us, and that the competition can basically pack up and go home. It is a romantic notion for sure, but alas it is not the reality. The companies and institutions truly convinced of the benefits of neuromorphic technology will often be taking their time to explore different solutions and may end up doing business with / recommending (in the case of a consultancy) either
a) us
b) us and someone else or
c) someone else [as unimaginable that may seem to certain posters here].

While Accenture did praise Akida earlier this year, they continue to research Loihi (
https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/brn-discussion-ongoing.1/post-428774) and have also been evaluating SynSense’s ultra-low power offerings:

0F1540BD-F4F6-4EE8-813B-AD4BA7218994.jpeg

Or take ESA, for example: Laurent Hili didn’t restrict himself to visiting the BrainChip booth at the AI Hardware & Edge AI Summit in September: He and his colleague Luis Mansilla Garcia (who were both guests on Episode 31 of the BrainChip This is Our Mission podcast in March) also dropped by other AI chip companies’ booths such as that of Intel (-> Gaudi 3) and SpinnCloud Systems ( -> SpiNNaker 2), as evidenced by these recent screenshots I took of photos he posted resp. reposted on LinkedIn:

B215D916-2783-459A-9DBB-75F078A97454.jpeg

627F9BDF-7934-4297-AF30-AEAA6B738BEA.jpeg

Another example:
We know the neuromorphic researchers from TCS to be BrainChip fans.
Yet, a month ago, in the comment section underneath one of his own posts, Sounak Dey from TCS expressed his regret of having missed the chance to meet up with Petrut Antoniu Bogdan from Innatera at Semicon India 2024 (Sept 11-13). No surprise, really, given that in recent months Sounak Dey has liked numerous posts by both BrainChip and Innatera.

E6466AC8-2101-4AC5-A3E6-3CE1248A4500.jpeg

Of course our competitors are in the same situation, with BrainChip showing up in unexpected places - so standing still is not an option, all those companies need to continually innovate, and BrainChip is doing just that. Having chosen to go the path of an IP company may pay out in the long run, but of course means leaving part of the addressable market to our competitors.

I’d be very cautious to quantify any lead in months or even years, like some posters have done and still do, despite having no insight whatsoever into the negotiations between any of the companies offering neuromorphic technology and their potential customers - in my opinion, such posts lull us into a false sense of security, which in turn could lead to further disappointment among already disappointed shareholders and provide more fodder for the downrampers should one of our competitors land a juicy contract first, especially in case it concerned one that BrainChip had also been vying for.

And in case you were wondering: No, I don’t have any insider information. I am just a keen observer (such as taking note of LinkedIn posts like the ones above or below), and prefer to draw my own conclusions rather than rely on contributions by anonymous shareholders wearing rose-coloured glasses or deliberately cherry-picking info or even twisting the truth to suit their narrative (be it negative or positive - this happens on both ends of the spectrum). And I encourage everyone to do the same (which admittedly is hard to do for many with very limited time to spare.)

2CA10950-2463-4A9B-9A2C-86A620E5D7D5.jpeg

Reading between the lines: We are also exploring other companies’ offerings and won’t make any promises.

4482A2F7-ECF2-4802-A29D-5531FC080C73.jpeg

Reading between the lines: We are also exploring other companies’ offerings and won’t make any promises.

6B10A777-8BD2-4BB2-8F27-C00E3DC7D9F9.jpeg

13890184-3FF3-4F1A-8A63-7FE499FE2EFA.jpeg

45482BA1-9198-4DAB-A7F5-18C085278DBA.jpeg

No reading between the lines is necessary here, I’d say...
They just don’t spell it out with the words: “You’re in good company” or “Trusted by…”, but to me this is essentially saying the same thing, even though the folks at Innatera cannot pride themselves to already have had their tech publicly validated in an MB concept car.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 33 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
  • Thinking
  • Love
Reactions: 31 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
  • Fire