BRN Discussion Ongoing

Getupthere

Regular

EdgeCortix flagship SAKURA-I Chip showcased for Edge AI applications​

1:45 pm February 19, 2024 By Julian Horsey

EdgeCortix flagship SAKURA-I Chip showcased

freestar
At the prestigious Singapore Airshow 2024, EdgeCortix, a leading Japanese semiconductor company, is set to unveil a new chip that is expected to transform the way artificial intelligence (AI) is processed in the defense and aerospace sectors. The SAKURA-I chip, a specialized co-processor, is designed to handle AI tasks right at the edge of the network, where data is generated and collected. This innovation is particularly important for applications that require immediate decision-making, such as those found in aviation and military operations.
The airshow, scheduled for February 20-25, will serve as the platform for EdgeCortix to introduce this new technology to the world. Visitors to the event will be able to see the SAKURA-I chip in action at the booth of the Acquisitions, Technology and Logistics Agency (ATLA), which represents Japan’s commitment to advancing its air and defense technologies.

EdgeCortix SAKURA-I​

The SAKURA-I chip stands out for its ability to process complex AI tasks with high efficiency and low latency. This is crucial in environments where quick responses are essential and power resources are often limited. The chip’s debut is timely, as there is a growing need for technologies that can operate effectively under these constraints.
“EdgeCortix’s SAKURA-I chip, with its small form factor and high efficiency, is proving a crucial tool in edge computing in defense and aerospace sectors, which EdgeCortix predicts will increasingly rely on software-driven hardware solutions to achieve their tasks going forward,” says Sakyasingha Dasgupta, CEO and Founder of EdgeCortix. “We are honored to be featured in ATLA’s booth representing Japanese innovation at the Singapore Airshow and are proud to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with such elite companies at the show.”
AI is becoming increasingly important in enhancing safety and efficiency across various industries, including transportation and defense. The SAKURA-I chip is designed to meet the demanding needs of these sectors, providing performance improvements that can help prevent accidents, optimize logistics, and ensure secure operations in sensitive areas.
Edge computing, which involves processing data close to where it is generated, is changing the landscape of defense and aerospace. Innovations like the SAKURA-I chip are at the forefront of this shift, enabling faster and more reliable decision-making in situations where time is of the essence.
The Singapore Airshow 2024 is more than just an exhibition; it is a demonstration of Japan’s technological advancements in defense equipment and technology. The partnership between ATLA and EdgeCortix highlights the role of collaboration between the public and private sectors in achieving technological breakthroughs. The SAKURA-I chip exemplifies such progress and is expected to establish new standards in the industry.
EdgeCortix’s participation in the Singapore Airshow 2024 emphasizes the company’s position as a leader in semiconductor technology and its significant contributions to the evolution of AI processing. The SAKURA-I chip marks a step towards more energy-efficient, software-driven hardware solutions in the fields of defense and aerospace. Attendees are encouraged to witness this state-of-the-art technology at the ATLA booth, where Japan’s expertise in air and defense technology will be on full display.

• Wow
  • Fire
Reactions: 10 users
I note that Sean H will do his Investor Presentation next Tuesday 27/2/24 .... so I wonder when the Annual Report and 4E will be released on the ASX.... Will it be before or after his Presentation .......... Personally, I think that if the Annual Report contains some positive indicators, then it will most likely be released a few days before his presentation, so as to give him some positive investor sentiment beforehand.

They do have an extra day to deliver it this year
1708476659302.png

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
Morning McHale ,

Only one week ago or so I read a article on America having successfully shot down a drone with a high energy weapon at over one kilometre away.

The age of laser beams is certainly upon us.

Regards,
Esq.
That was u.k defense i believe esky

Reactions: 5 users

buena suerte :-)

BOB Bank of Brainchip
I note that Sean H will do his Investor Presentation next Tuesday 27/2/24 .... so I wonder when the Annual Report and 4E will be released on the ASX.... Will it be before or after his Presentation .......... Personally, I think that if the Annual Report contains some positive indicators, then it will most likely be released a few days before his presentation, so as to give him some positive investor sentiment beforehand.
Yep..If anything in the report is 'price sensitive' (The report itself will be PS but any additional info!) I would imagine he would want to let the market know prior so he can openly answer questions! re new partners/deals/financials etc etc) in the presentation.

Good luck :)
(Buena suerte)
1708477053808.png

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

Esq.111

Fascinatingly Intuitive.
Afternoon ILoveLamp ,

Maybe......Reasonably certain it was USA.

Regards,
Esq.

Reactions: 3 users

Esq.111

Fascinatingly Intuitive.
Waiting.....waiting.... . .
1708478047175.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Morning McHale ,

Only one week ago or so I read a article on America having successfully shot down a drone with a high energy weapon at over one kilometre away.

The age of laser beams is certainly upon us.

Regards,
Esq.
Check out oz company EOS. Very good at this shit.

SC

• Fire
Reactions: 6 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
Afternoon ILoveLamp ,

Maybe......Reasonably certain it was USA.

Regards,
Esq.
This is what i was thinking of

• Thinking

Esq.111

Fascinatingly Intuitive.

Just had a look for my article on high energy .... could not locate.

Would appear any military with a billion or so in R&D are having a dabble in this field.

Regards,
Esq.

Reactions: 4 users

HopalongPetrovski

I'm Spartacus!
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hi alby,

There isn't much technical detail available other than Wiki's discussion on Tsetlin machines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsetlin_machine

View attachment 57363

A Tsetlin machine is a form of learning automaton collective for learning patterns using propositional logic. Ole-Christoffer Granmo created[1] and gave the method its name after Michael Lvovitch Tsetlin, who invented the Tsetlin automaton[2] and worked on Tsetlin automata collectives and games.[3] Collectives of Tsetlin automata were originally constructed, implemented, and studied theoretically by Vadim Stefanuk in 1962.

The Tsetlin machine uses computationally simpler and more efficient primitives compared to more ordinary artificial neural networks.[4]

As of April 2018 it has shown promising results on a number of test sets.[5]
[6]
The Tsetlin automaton is the fundamental learning unit of the Tsetlin machine. It tackles the multi-armed bandit problem, learning the optimal action in an environment from penalties and rewards. Computationally, it can be seen as a finite-state machine (FSM) that changes its states based on the inputs. The FSM will generate its outputs based on the current states.

... which is above my pay grade.

There are no published patents for Literal Lbs.

The LL people did publish a paper in Norway in 2022. The abstract is public:

Resultat #2068852 - A Convolutional Tsetlin Machine-based Field Programmable Gate Array Accelerator for Image Classification - Cristin

Vitenskapelig Kapittel/Artikkel/Konferanseartikkel

A Convolutional Tsetlin Machine-based Field Programmable Gate Array Accelerator for Image Classification

• Svein Anders Tunheim
  • Jiao Lei
  • Rishad Ahmed Shafik
  • Alexandre Yakovlev og
  • Ole-Christoffer Granmo

TITTEL

A Convolutional Tsetlin Machine-based Field Programmable Gate Array Accelerator for Image Classification

SAMMENDRAG

This paper presents a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) implementation of an image classification accelerator based on the Convolutional Tsetlin Machine (CTM). The work is a concept design, and the solution demonstrates recognition of two classes in 4 × 4 images with a 2 × 2 convolution window. More specifically, there are two sub-Tsetlin Machines (TMs), one per class. A single sub-TM employs 40 clauses, each controlled by 20 Tsetlin Automata. The accelerator features random patch selection, in parallel for all clauses, based on reservoir sampling. The design is implemented in a Xilinx Zync XC7Z020 FPGA. With an operating clock speed of 30 MHz, the accelerator is capable of inferring at the rate of 3.3 million images per second with an additional power consumption of 20 mW from idle mode. The average test accuracy is 96.7% when trained on data with 10% noise. A training session with 100 epochs and 8192 examples takes 1.5 seconds. Due to the limited hardware resources required, the CTM accelerator represents a promising concept for online learning in energy-frugal systems. The solution can be scaled to multi-class systems and larger image
s.

From their website:

Literal Labs - Cambridge Future Tech (camfuturetech.com)

Artifical Intelligence Redefined

Similar to NNs in that customers train a dataset, Literal Labs trains Tsetlin machine models specific to customer datasets. This approach results in an optimised machine model that is then deployed onto the target hardware.

The Tsetlin machine model can be deployed as software only or can be accelerated using Literal Labs accelerators. Literal Labs benchmarking shows it can achieve 250X faster inferencing than XG Boost using software only, and up to 1,000X faster and up to 10,000X less energy consumption when using hardware acceleration.

Value Proposition

One of the major challenges with traditional neural network-based models is their resource-intensive nature. As models become more complex, so too does the resource requirement. Literal Labs’ architecture, based on propositional logic, requires significantly fewer resources to solve AI problems, meaning that Literal Labs can deliver intelligent compute on devices with minimal energy usage and with little or no internet coverage.

The company was spun out of Newcastle University by world leaders in Tsetlin machine Dr. Alex Yakelov and Dr. Rishad Shafik, and led by former Arm CPU division VP and semiconductor startup founder Noel Hurley

There is a video which shows that the processor is involved in the calculations:

View attachment 57364

This would add to latency, so it is probably slower than Akida.

No wonder Jem was a bit cryptic on the podcast - buyer's remorse. I think he's Tsetlin for second best.

It sounded like it did have good potential, until you mentioned that the processor involved, would put the hand brake on..

Would it be possible to combine the Tsetlin and AKIDA technologies, getting AKIDA to do the "Heavy Lifting" as you say?..

Or is that a mismatch of technologies, trying to accomplish a similar task?..

Reactions: 2 users

I thought they had that tech decades ago...

• Haha
  • Fire

mrgds

Regular
It sounded like it did have good potential, until you mentioned that the processor involved, would put the hand brake on..

Would it be possible to combine the Tsetlin and AKIDA technologies, getting AKIDA to do the "Heavy Lifting" as you say?..

Gday DB Did you recieve any reply from TD regarding your email that you would like to share?
Cheers

Diogenese

Top 20

Hi DB,

I think it's B, both doing the same thing.

That said, I don't know the ins-and-outs of the Tsetlin machine, or its capabilities, so there may be some use for them.

• Haha
Gday DB Did you recieve any reply from TD regarding your email that you would like to share?
Cheers
Nothing to share yet, unless I want to get nasty..

No, I'm not a Janet Jackson fan 😛

• Haha

IloveLamp

Top 20
1000013465.jpg

1000013470.jpg

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 31 users

Quatrojos

Regular
BRN is taking preorders for the VVDN edge box. The fact that they haven't communicated this to the asx belittles the product immensely, as if they don't think it's a significant piece of news. I thought they listened to the criticism aimed at improving their level of communication. Fans of the company knew this incredible product was coming. The market needs to know, CEO! Or is the CEO happy doing cap calls at ridiculously low share prices?

Partnerships are one thing. A commercial product is another, even considering that the company doesn't anticipate a significant level of revenue...

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 23 users

buena suerte :-)

BOB Bank of Brainchip
I thought they had that tech decades ago...

That brought back some distant memories :love:

• Haha
  • Fire
Top Bottom