images - 2024-02-02T155743.334.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users

Boab

I wish I could paint like Vincent
  • Fire
Reactions: 5 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
Hi Iseki

I read in one of the AKIDA 2.0 blurbs yesterday they can run CNN, DNN etc so it is really all too hard.

Someone somewhere posted another hearing aid from Chromatic Inc I think and they were claiming a world leading breakthrough along the lines of noise cancellation.

In the US last year or the year before they deregulated hearing aids and literally hundreds of suppliers have come out of the woodwork competing on price and claimed technology advances.

Of all the technology areas to research trying to find Brainchip it has become the hardest as a result.

Going way, way back before Sean Hehir was born Peter van der Made said something about Cochlear (COH) and his AKIDA technology. That dot has been turned inside out without success.

My opinion only DYOR
Fact Finder
Hi Fact Finder,

Speaking of noise cancellation, Dell has just released two new headsets powered by what they call "cutting edge AI technology" inside the microphones. One of our initial podcasts was with Dell.

But, I could very well be clutching at straws, in which case you can employ your own internal noise cancellation abilities when reading this post.

Extract 1
Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 5.21.39 pm.png

Extract 2

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 5.31.37 pm.png

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 5.38.15 pm.png

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 17 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Thinking
Reactions: 11 users

Boab

I wish I could paint like Vincent
Reactions: 2 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
Last edited:
  • Haha

hamilton66

Regular
Hi Fact Finder,

what makes you so sure it wasn’t the other way round, i.e., one of the EDGX co-founders (a company founded in 2023) found out from someone at ESA about the benefits of using Akida?

After all, our guy in Germany, Alf Kuchenbuch, stated in an October 2023 LinkedIn comment that ESA microelectronics and data handling engineer Laurent Hili told him, his first contact with Brainchip had been at an AI conference in Santa Clara back in 2019 or 2020!

Which means we can safely assume the latest possible date would have been the 4th Annual Global Artificial Intelligence Conference Santa Clara 2020 from January 21 - 23, 2020, as the then unfolding COVID pandemic did not allow for any in-person conferences for many months to come, plus the closure of the US borders would have made any attendance by EU citizens not residing in the US impossible. Which in turn means ESA has known about Akida for at least four years, possibly even five years, although knowing about it obviously doesn’t equate to testing it…

Akida was also mentioned several times alongside other neuromorphic processors (albeit only Loihi and BrainScaleS 2 were discussed in more detail) in an arXiv preprint published by ESA researchers on December 17, 2022 titled Neuromorphic Computing and Sensing in Space (https://arxiv.org/pdf/2212.05236.pdf), which also happens to reveal that ESA engineers had been considering neuromorphic solutions since 2010, so they surely would have observed the neuromorphic landscape closely all these years.

“Early work [10, 11] performed in 2010 at the Advanced Concepts Team (ACT) suggested considering a neuromorphic approach for onboard spacecraft applications.”

Whether / When ESA got their hands on AKD1000, I obviously don’t know.

View attachment 55700

View attachment 55701

16bf9c0f-3079-4e4f-a282-822e0f045a42-jpeg.55719

So let’s say Laurent Hili’s first contact with Brainchip was at said January 2020 Santa Clara AI Conference. At that time, according to their LinkedIn profiles, two of the EDGX core trio were still attending university, pursuing their B.Sc. (Wouter Benoot) resp. M.Sc. (João Matias), so it’s rather unlikely that they would have come in contact with Akida then.

EDGX CEO Nick Destrycker, however, could have learnt about Akida around the same time or even earlier than Laurent Hili. I personally hadn’t been aware of the exact nature of his previous start-up until now: Quite the visionary, he had already seen huge potential in Edge AI back in 2019, when he co-founded and became the CEO of Edgise, which was located in the immediate vicinity of his alma mater KU Leuven and two of his former employers: imec (the nanoelectronics and digital technologies R&D hub that also has collaborations with KU Leuven) and ICsense.

It seems Edgise is now defunct resp. morphed into EDGX (www.Edgise.be now links to www.EDGX.space) with a different co-founder and moved to Ghent, another Belgian city.

I found an interesting article published on April 22, 2022 on Edgise’s evolution from a start-up dabbling in general Edge AI to focussing on space tech:

"Initially, we focused on technology, and not on a market. Because we didn't have a market segment, we were all over the place," laughs Destrycker. "We were doing projects around smart cities, healthcare and food at the time. But we always had a limited impact. In the mid-2020s [sic! I checked the Dutch original of that article, which says midden 2020, so this is obviously a translation error and should be in mid-2020] however, we came into contact with space companies. That's how the ball got rolling, and we saw that our technology could have a big impact there. We entered into a collaboration with ESA, the European Space Agency. That went so well that we then made the confident decision to go full steam ahead with space exploration."

So, Edgise went from being a general edge computing start-up, to one with a strong focus on space. Was that pivot difficult? "It was very gradual," Destrycker answers. "We got in touch with a company that needed edge AI on a satellite. That's how we developed a demo, and the ball got rolling. We visited ESA together, and our first full-fledged space project saw the light of day
."

View attachment 55734
View attachment 55721

In mid 2022, Edgise was selected to participate in the EU-funded Project ENLIGHTEN (European Initiative for Low cost, Innovative & Green High Thrust Engine” (November 1, 2022 - October 31, 2025), coordinated by ArianeGroup, the French aerospace company developing its next-generation two stage Ariane 6 launch vehicle - its launch at the Europe’s Spaceport in Kourou / French Guiana is planned for mid-2024.

Fun fact: ArianeGroup was formerly known as Airbus Safran Launchers, a joint venture between Airbus and Safran, and we know for a fact that Brainchip collaborated with one of Safran’s subsidiaries, Safran Electrical & Power, in 2017.

View attachment 55720

Of course, I have no idea at what point in time Nick Destrycker stumbled upon Akida - even before he co-founded Edgise or at a later stage - but I’d deem it possible that he actually learnt about Brainchip’s tech through someone at ESA, not the other way round.

A while ago, I shared my interpretation of what Bernd Westhoff from Renesas could have meant by saying (in a video from Embedded World 2023) that it was the very first time any vendor “on Earth” had launched the first Arm Cortex-M85 + AI combo implementation on silicon.

https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/brn-discussion-ongoing.1/post-397848

Maybe it wasn’t NASA after all, but ESA instead that gave Akida that (unconfirmed) ride into space?! Just my wild speculation, no evidence whatsoever…
F, regardless of whether there is a connection or not, that is some serious sleuthing. Well done my friend! GLTA

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

CHIPS

Regular

What is ALFA? See the cards on the table as well as the two signs in front of the setup (here partly covered by Youtube signs, sorry). Is it an Australian company? This would then explain the koala and kangaroo.

1706860798379.png

Diogenese

Top 20
Hi SERA2g

I would agree with what you say and support it by suggesting that the current development time line guarantees that dividends will not flow before 2030 at least.

2030 is the approximate year by which AKIDA 10.0 will be demonstrating Peter van der Made’s version of Artificial General Intelligence as he predicted.

If AKIDA 3.0 appears during 2024 there will still be seven iterations to reach AKIDA 10.0 so it will be a pretty tight schedule to maintain the present lead and dominate so every penny will be required as one new version every 12 months is a big ask in many ways but particularly in a financial sense.

Sean Hehir has suggested one new AKIDA every 12 to 18 months is their goal.

Peter van der Made has the design and roadmap in his head and so the way to ensure it happens is to throw money at getting it done.

When I started this Brainchip journey in 2016 the dominant view generally was that artificial general intelligence would not occur this century.

By 2019 there were some credible experts suggesting not before 2050.

By 2030 will be one enormous achievement.

Anyway the point is that with Bill Gates words floating in the ether that the company which invents artificial general intelligence will be worth ten times Microsoft there is no way that Brainchip will put ambition to one side just so it can pay dividends.

Of course this is my opinion only so DYOR
Fact Finder
I take a more optimistic view. I think when our hockey-sticks come home to roost, the company will be making money faster that it can spend it.

The IP model requires almost zero capital and the running costs (the occasional proof-of-concept chip production, software/hardware engineers will be an ongoing and increasing cost for R&D, marketing will be easier when the products are in the market, not that it will be a walk in the park).
While a modest war chest would not be a bad thing, past experience from the 80s suggests that an over-abundance of cash will attract the corporate pirates.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 33 users

SERA2g

Founding Member
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users

Dougie54

Regular
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Dougie54

Regular

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

CHIPS

Regular
Reactions: 1 users

Esq.111

Fascinatingly Intuitive.
Evening Chippers ,

Had a suspicion Malcolm Turnbull , ex Goldman Sachs & past Prime minister of Australia was / is involved with Morse Micro..

And funnily enough so is another familiar name , MEGACHIPS.

Morse Micro , would definitely know of 🧠 🍟 ..

Regards,
Esq.

• Fire
Reactions: 15 users

Dougie54

Regular
Thanks, I understand. Morse Micro is an Australian company, therefore, the koala and kangaroo.
With links to Brainchip……….keep joining dots

Reactions: 3 users
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Reactions: 2 users
Top Bottom