BRN Discussion Ongoing

The Pope

Regular
Here is one to get the chat started today linked to BRN patents pending approval (apparently 28 patents approx). I’m sure atleast Dio and FF can provide their thoughts from their point of view on patents.

On average a submitted patent before a patent office without a significant backlog, it takes a minimum of a year to process a patent application, with the length of time from filing to approval being about two years.

For example in the US, to get a patent, the US Patent Office must consider your invention novel, nonobvious, and useful. Novel, meaning nobody has made your invention already. Nonobvious, meaning your invention is not simply a small change from an existing invention.

Apparently Patent rejections are very common. For example, according to a recent study at Yale University, almost 90% of all patent applications receive some patent claim rejection. But conversely, 60% of all patent applications are eventually issued as patents.

My recall is most of BRN submitted patents waiting approval are atleast 2 years old ?
So is it just that 2024 (hopefully) will be the mass approval of BRN submitted patents waiting approval in different countries or is there more to it and could be in part due to the following

*** A big end tech company (like Nvidia) has existing or submitted patents that are very similar to BRN submitted patents so the patent office has challenge / disputing a BRN submitted patent for not being non obvious etc and therefore timeframe has been extended and /or further documentation has been requested from the patent office for reassessment. Yes I know who ever submits their patent first gets the upper hand.

Yeah I could just email tony Dawe but he is only holidays and don’t want to hassle him. Lol

Thanks
The Pope

• Fire
Reactions: 19 users

Iseki

Regular
wow, if this is the "relationchip...":LOL:.

Thank you for posting!
I'm not sure. The link doesn't mention Akida, but rather:

Microchip's PolarFire® SoC FPGA family delivers a combination of low power consumption, thermal efficiency, and defense-grade security for smart, connected systems. It is the first system-on-chip (SoC) FPGA with a deterministic, coherent RISC-V CPU cluster and a deterministic L2 memory subsystem for creating Linux® and real-time applications. PolarFire SoC FPGAs span from 25 K to 460 K logic elements (LEs) and feature 12.7 Gbps transceivers.

Reactions: 1 users

Iseki

Regular

January 4, 2024 4:00 AM​

BrainChip to Unveil Akida Neuromorphic Processor Enabled by Microchip's 32-bit MPU at CES 2024
Integrated solution demonstrates always-on machine learning tasks including keyword spotting and visual wake words
BrainChip Holdings Ltd (ASX: BRN, OTCQX: BRCHF, ADR: BCHPY), the world’s first commercial producer of ultra-low power, fully digital, event-based, neuromorphic AI IP, will demonstrate how BrainChip’s Akida™ neuromorphic processor enables low-power, high-performance learning applications on Microchip’s embedded microprocessor (MPU) boards at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2024 in Las Vegas.
BrainChip is gearing up to spotlight the revolutionary capabilities of Akida in conjunction with Microchip’s SAMv71 Ultra Board and SAMA7G54-EK Board in a specialized demonstration. This unique showcase will shed light on two widely used always-on machine learning tasks: keyword spotting (KWS) and visual wake words (VWW). KWS, leveraging sophisticated neural networks, excels at recognizing keywords like “Hey, Siri” or “OK, Google.” Meanwhile, VWW is adept at classifying the presence of individuals in images, making it valuable for applications, such as in-home security and smart doorbells. With a focus on ultra-low latency, minimal power consumption and unparalleled accuracy, this demonstration aims to explore the forefront of innovation and showcase the incredible potential of Akida.
“We look forward to demonstrating the potential and ease of integrating Akida for always-on machine learning applications on embedded devices at CES,” said Rob Telson, Vice President of Ecosystem and Partnerships at BrainChip. “By combining our innovative neuromorphic processor and models with Microchip’s high-performance MPUs and boards, you can deliver compelling solutions to the market to serve the rapidly growing demand for TinyML at the Edge.”
“In this collaborative showcase with BrainChip, we will illustrate how our customers can leverage the advantages of next-generation AI to enable low-power, high-performance machine learning applications on our embedded platforms,” said Rod Drake, corporate vice president of Microchip’s MPU32 and MCU32 business units. “This is truly a not-to-miss demonstration at CES 2024.”
The demonstration will be held at the BrainChip booth 29-330 at the Venetian Hotel at CES 2024 January 9 to 12, 2024 in Las Vegas.
Beats me what Brainchip are saying here.
Is it an Akida1000 on a Microchip board that contains an Arm Cortex M0+ chip for configuration?
Is it an upgrade to our Rasberry Pi offering?

Reactions: 3 users

FJ-215

Regular
Is it an Akida1000 on a Microchip board that contains an Arm Cortex M0+ chip for configuration?
The word "enabled" had me confused also.

I am guessing that this is the introduction of AKD 1500.

Reactions: 7 users

Damo4

Regular

Perhaps read the akidaTM 2nd Generation Platform Brief, as well as scroll to the Akida-e section of Akida Generations.
Akida can operate standalone, this is just one more of the growing number of MCU providers that are now compatible with Akida.

Also see below Microchip link to 1 of the dev kits mentioned, they are much much more than just a simple processor.
They also allow for lots of breakout boards (shields) including Arduino, and probably ESPXX devices for IoT.
Seems to be quite capable of processing audio signals, which tracks with key-word and wake-word
https://www.microchip.com/en-us/development-tool/atsamv71-xult

As far as the specific hardware configuration allowing this, it would be assumed to be the dev kits with some sort of shield of Akida add on, but I suppose thats what we have to hold our breathe to find out from the Demo!

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 22 users

Iseki

Regular
So Akida will fit into this nicely and give the device its own learning capabilities…..so your in-home security will be always on and recognise you when you talk and by your facial recognition……this is what they will be demonstrating at CES2024…IMO

New 1 GHz SAMA7G54 is the First Single-Core MPU with MIPI CSI-2 Camera Interface and Advanced Audio Features​

Based on Arm® Cortex®-A7 processor, Microchip’s new MPU combines high performance with low power consumption

CHANDLER, Ariz., May 24, 2022 — The embedded market has a need for higher performing, yet lower power artificial intelligence (AI) solutions that can be deployed at the edge, where power consumption is often at a premium. AI solutions often require advanced imaging and audio capabilities which are typically found only on higher performing multi-core microprocessors that, unfortunately, also consume much more power. To offer developers access to those higher performing peripherals without sacrificing power consumption, Microchip Technology Inc. (Nasdaq: MCHP) today announces the SAMA7G54 Arm Cortex A7-based MPU running up to 1 GHz. The SAMA7G54 includes both a MIPI® CSI-2 camera interface and a traditional parallel camera interface enabling developers to design low-power stereo vision applications with more accurate depth perception.
Microchip is committed to maintaining the lowest power MPU portfolio in the market. The SAMA7G54 extends this low-power trend into the 1 GHz performance class of Linux®-capable MPUs by providing flexible low-power modes, as well as voltage and frequency scaling. When coupled with Microchip’s new MCP16502 Power Management IC (PMIC), this MPU enables embedded designers to fine-tune their end application for the overall best power consumption vs. performance, while also optimizing for the lowest overall system cost. The MCP16502 is supported by Microchip’s mainline Linux distribution for the SAMA7G54, allowing for easy entry and exit from available low-power modes, as well as support for dynamic voltage and frequency scaling.
“The SAMA7G54 provides a low-risk path for designers to develop power and performance optimized AI solutions for deployment at the edge,” said Rod Drake, vice president of Microchip’s 32-bit MPU business unit. “Designers can now create high-performing imaging and audio-centric AI applications without having to use multi-core MPUs with much higher power consumption.”
For audio applications, the device integrates enhanced audio features such as four I2S digital audio ports, an 8-microphone array interface, an S/PDIF transmitter and receiver, as well as a four stereo channel audio sample rate converter. It is equipped with multiple microphone inputs for improved source localization to enhance smart speaker or video conferencing system performance.
The SAMA7G54 also integrates Arm TrustZone® technology with secure boot, secure key storage and cryptography with acceleration and more. Customers can work with Microchip’s security experts to evaluate their security needs and implement the level of protection that’s right for their design.
Development Tools
Microchip provides both hardware and software development support for the SAMA7G54. The SAMA7G54-EK Evaluation Kit (CPN: EV21H18A) features connectors and expansion headers for easy customization and quick access to leading edge embedded features. The device is supported by Microchip’s mainline Linux distribution. Bare-metal framework and RTOS support is provided within MPLAB® Harmony v3.
Microchip provides a broad family of Ethernet PHYs, switches and hubs, wireless products, as well as CAN FD transceivers that are supported by the SAMA7G54.
Pricing and Availability
The SAMA7G54 is available with BGA343 package for $7.75 each in 10,000-unit quantities. For additional information and to purchase, contact a Microchip sales representative, authorized worldwide distributor or visit Microchip’s Purchasing and Client Services website, www.microchipdirect.com.
Resources

High-res images available through Flickr or editorial contact (feel free to publish):

About Microchip​

Microchip Technology Inc. is a leading provider of smart, connected and secure embedded control solutions. Its easy-to-use development tools and comprehensive product portfolio enable customers to create optimal designs which reduce risk while lowering total system cost and time to market. The company solutions serve more than 120,000 customers across the industrial, automotive, consumer, aerospace and defense, communications and computing markets. Headquartered in Chandler, Arizona, Microchip offers outstanding technical support along with dependable delivery and quality. For more information, visit the Microchip website at www.microchip.com.
RegBet,

Please don't take this the wrong way but we really need to see at CES2024 is a chip with Akida IP already inside it.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Tothemoon24

Top 20
‘Hey Mercedes ‘ hurry the …… up

IMG_8077.jpeg

At #CES2024, #MercedesBenz will preview the next major step towards its vision with the #MBUX Virtual Assistant running on the in-house developed MB.OS operating system. It takes the “Hey Mercedes” voice assistant into a whole new visual dimension.

You will also get a taste of the electric future of an icon with the North American premiere of the camouflaged prototype of the #electric G-Class. Further highlights include exciting developments in the field of in-car entertainment and a first-of-its-kind partnership.

📍 For defining moments at CES 2024, visit Mercedes-Benz at booth #4941 in the West Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.

More: https://lnkd.in/eKmqi-75

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users

Labsy

Regular
Intelligent top up of the gas tank. Good fiscal management. I love brainchip and I love our team. 👌
I have purchased more on the back of this financial play as it put me, like many others at ease. We are a growing company and cash flow is important.
Thats all I have to say as I dont want to receive a middle finger as a proud shareholder and perceived up ramper.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 45 users

Damo4

Regular
RegBet,

Please don't take this the wrong way but we really need to see at CES2024 is a chip with Akida IP already inside it.

We really don't though...
  1. CES2024 is not some magic timeline that makes/breaks the company, so an ultimatum is irresponsible
  2. If we are to watch the financials we won't be announced
    1. Further to that, anyone buying our IP, now OWNs it, meaning they wouldn't say it's Akida, as it's their own
This Microchip collab is exactly what I hoped we'd see out of CES, just like VVDN and NVISO from 2023.

It seems you don't understand both the tech and the business model, or you are being deliberately misleading.
Either way it's all a bit odd.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 21 users
Yes not mandatory agreeded but big long term contracts require this if they have a customer that needs this security. Possibly even a Vendor for a Tape Out. Look in the end this is a 2.2% dilusion its hard to read in to it on what revenue we will have but even if they had 30 million just saying not suggesting it would leave about 7 million after 1 year. If they raised 13 million then they will have an extra 19 million. But if revenue starts showing up our SP will be north of the minimum and they may just raise 24 million or 36 million. I'm not certain. There is still alot of unknowns. This adds over all health to the company and longterm value. Just like the Microchip partnership its a company that generates 8 billion plus revenue. Things are starting to accumulate.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is one to get the chat started today linked to BRN patents pending approval (apparently 28 patents approx). I’m sure atleast Dio and FF can provide their thoughts from their point of view on patents.

On average a submitted patent before a patent office without a significant backlog, it takes a minimum of a year to process a patent application, with the length of time from filing to approval being about two years.

For example in the US, to get a patent, the US Patent Office must consider your invention novel, nonobvious, and useful. Novel, meaning nobody has made your invention already. Nonobvious, meaning your invention is not simply a small change from an existing invention.

Apparently Patent rejections are very common. For example, according to a recent study at Yale University, almost 90% of all patent applications receive some patent claim rejection. But conversely, 60% of all patent applications are eventually issued as patents.

My recall is most of BRN submitted patents waiting approval are atleast 2 years old ?
So is it just that 2024 (hopefully) will be the mass approval of BRN submitted patents waiting approval in different countries or is there more to it and could be in part due to the following

*** A big end tech company (like Nvidia) has existing or submitted patents that are very similar to BRN submitted patents so the patent office has challenge / disputing a BRN submitted patent for not being non obvious etc and therefore timeframe has been extended and /or further documentation has been requested from the patent office for reassessment. Yes I know who ever submits their patent first gets the upper hand.

Yeah I could just email tony Dawe but he is only holidays and don’t want to hassle him. Lol

Thanks
The Pope
Hi The Pope

Two things you might like to do:

1. Go to the recording of the 2022 AGM and listen to the part where Peter van der Made speaks answering a question about patents and if you do you will hear him say they are looking to get up to 50 patent applications filed in the coming months.

The AGM was held in May, 2022 and over the next 12 months about half a dozen patents were announced and at the 2023 AGM about 30 were filed across different jurisdictions awaiting approval.

Based on this information a patent filed the day after the 2022 AGM would not yet be filed for two years until the day after the May, 2024 AGM.

Accordingly your statement that the patents have been filed for more than two years is premature.

2. The second thing you should do is go and read the requisitions from the patent assessor and the answers from Brainchip in the most recently approved patent to understand what the level of detail and time involved is in moving a highly technical original scientific work through the patent process.

A few years ago now Diogenese will probably know precisely when and which patent but Peter van der Made was accepted as an expert authority on spiking neural networks and relied upon to defeat a claim by a third party patent found by an assessor and the Brainchip patent was approved.

So all in all nothing to worry about.

My opinion only DYOR
Fact Finder

PS: While people are stumbling around trying to understand what Brainchip and Microchip are up to go back to last year and Google ‘NASA, Microchip and SiFive’ and note the use of the X280 Intelligence Series in this project remembering that SiFive have said that the Intelligence Series is where Brainchip fits and they are ‘closely coupled’ or words similar. Diogenese can help here if I have the words wrong as he has mentioned them a few times.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 62 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
  • Wow
  • Fire
Reactions: 35 users

Tothemoon24

Top 20
Hi The Pope

1. Go to the recording of the 2022 AGM and listen to the part where Peter van der Made speaks answering a question about patents and if you do you will hear him say they are looking to get up to 50 patent applications filed in the coming months.

The AGM was held in May, 2022 and over the next 12 months about half a dozen patents were announced and at the 2023 AGM about 30 were filed across different jurisdictions awaiting approval.

Based on this information a patent filed the day after the 2022 AGM would not yet be filed for two years until the day after the May, 2024 AGM.

Accordingly your statement that the patents have been filed for more than two years is premature.

2. The second thing you should do is go and read the requisitions from the patent assessor and the answers from Brainchip in the most recently approved patent to understand what the level of detail and time involved is in moving a highly technical original scientific work through the patent process.

A few years ago now Diogenese will probably know precisely when and which patent but Peter van der Made was accepted as an expert authority on spiking neural networks and relied upon to defeat a claim by a third party patent found by an assessor and the Brainchip patent was approved.

My opinion only DYOR
Fact Finder

PS: While people are stumbling around trying to understand what Brainchip and Microchip are up to go back to last year and Google ‘NASA, Microchip and SiFive’ and note the use of the X280 Intelligence Series in this project remembering that SiFive have said that the Intelligence Series is where Brainchip fits and they are ‘closely coupled’ or words similar. Diogenese can help here if I have the words wrong as he has mentioned them a few times.
Spot on FF .

Google is using the RISC-V-based SiFive Intelligence X280 processor in combination with the Google TPU, as part of its portfolio of AI chips.

Fabless chip designer SiFive said that it was also being used by NASA, Tenstorrent, Renesas, Microchip, Kinara, and others.

RISC-V is an open standard instruction set architecture based on established RISC principles, which is provided under open source licenses that do not require fees.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 32 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 60 users

Damo4

Regular
View attachment 53325 View attachment 53326 View attachment 53327

I love that people are getting confident using the word Akida in their work history, without having to explain it's Brainchip's product.
It shows how well known Akida is becoming.
Great find!

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 47 users

Neuromorphia

fact collector
From the German forum .. not sure if it was posted already here… sorry in advance

Brainchip Akida Ecosystem updated with MICROCHIP
1704322992450.png

edit:

...we will be showing a wide variety of applications, both on BrainChip’s platform as well as with our partners such as Microchip and numerous others...

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 52 users

The Pope

Regular
Hi The Pope

My opinion only DYOR
Fact Finder

Thanks FF for your quick reply and your understanding on the current status of BRN patents etc.

I do have to pick you up on something that you said I quoted linked to your comment “Accordingly your statement that the patents have been filed for more than two years is premature”

I did not state that and if you extracting it from my 2nd paragraph well that came directly from a US patent website that I used for reference purposes only.

Also it was my understanding from much whinging on TSE and noted at AGM’s in the past couple of years on that any BRN patents that are approved should be announced on ASX regardless if considered to be price sensitive or not by whom it may concern. My understanding is BRN management would announce. I recall the latest 4c quoted 30 approx patents pending so if you are saying a number of patents have been filed and approved in the past couple of years and more and more keep getting added then it would be good to know by BRN management as general news to retail shareholders as it shows progress and provides confidence as well.

All good. Thanks again for the information provided and I will go and have a look at the references you have provided.

Thanks
The pope

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Hi All
The following extracted paragraph tells me at least everything I need to know at this point about the Microchip release:

BrainChip to Unveil Akida Neuromorphic Processor Enabled by Microchip’s 32-bit MPU at CES 2024​

Integrated solution demonstrates always-on machine learning tasks including keyword spotting and visual wake words​

Laguna Hills, Calif. – January 3, 2024 BrainChip Holdings Ltd

“In this collaborative showcase with BrainChip, we will illustrate how our customers can leverage the advantages of next-generation AI to enable low-power, high-performance machine learning applications on our embedded platforms,” said Rod Drake, corporate vice president of Microchip’s MPU32 and MCU32 business units. “This is truly a not-to-miss demonstration at CES 2024.”

Breaking it down:

Microchip is demonstrating how adding Brainchip technology to Microchip’s embedded platforms it:

1. Leverages next Gen Ai - (AKIDA)

2. Enables low power - (AKIDA)

3. Enables HIGH performance machine learning - (AKIDA)

Microchip’s Corporate Vice President is telling Microchip’s customers that this demonstration is NOT to be missed.

I will take questions if you still do not understand the significance.

My opinion only DYOR
Fact Finder

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 85 users

Damo4

Regular
I haven’t seen this posted so apologies if it has and I missed it.

Direct from the Arm website. It is an article by Stephen Ozoigbo, Senior Director, Ecosystem Development, Education and Research, Arm.
Written on 20th December.

It is about Arm staff and ambassadors travelling across Africa, highlighting the range of AI-based developer experiences running on Arm.

“The additional demos were a range hardware, including the Arduino Pro and BrainChip’s Akida, that highlighted how Arm IP can be implemented across embedded systems that utilize AI workloads. As compute power increases, developers can leverage AI workloads for applications that are targeting the smallest, most power and cost-constrained embedded systems, all built on Arm.”

https://newsroom.arm.com/ai-developer-experiences-africa

Happy New Year Chippers :)

BTW I'm guessing we are being facilitated by Edge Impulse, see partners below.
This tracks well with the slides that Jesse provided, as well as his reply from Edge Impulse regarding the importance of Akida/EI/Arm in adapting Qaulcomm models on Arm infrastructure.

1704323335267.png

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users
Thanks FF for your quick reply and your understanding on the current status of BRN patents etc.

I do have to pick you up on something that you said I quoted linked to your comment “Accordingly your statement that the patents have been filed for more than two years is premature”

I did not state that and if you extracting it from my 2nd paragraph well that came directly from a US patent website that I used for reference purposes only.

Also it was my understanding from much whinging on TSE and noted at AGM’s in the past couple of years on that any BRN patents that are approved should be announced on ASX regardless if considered to be price sensitive or not by whom it may concern. My understanding is BRN management would announce. I recall the latest 4c quoted 30 approx patents pending so if you are saying a number of patents have been filed and approved in the past couple of years and more and more keep getting added then it would be good to know by BRN management as general news to retail shareholders as it shows progress and provides confidence as well.

All good. Thanks again for the information provided and I will go and have a look at the references you have provided.

Thanks
The pope
Hi The Pope

Well one good turn deserves another so I will take you up on this point because you did say:

“My recall is most of BRN submitted patents waiting approval are atleast 2 years old ?”

This is not correct. Some are less than a year and none are two years.

You may not have intended to provide the fuel for anxiety by some but this statement being entirely incorrect has that capacity.

My intent is to ensure only factually based fear and anxiety prevails.

My opinion only DYOR
Fact Finder

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 34 users
Top Bottom