BRN Discussion Ongoing

Diogenese

Top 20
AKIDA 1 (Gen 1) was a success in that client suggestions and requirements led to Gen2. Neuromorphic AI at the Edge is new and was never going to be perfect from day 1. Either will be Gen 2 but its getting closer to being commercially successful. Plans for Gen 3 to be announced later this year.
Still waiting for demand to begin being exponential requires a bit of patience.
Hi Manny,

Perfection is a lofty goal in such a rapidly changing technological environment.

The initial demonstration Akida chip had 1-bit weights and activations. It was ultra-fast and ultra-power efficient. The EAP feedback led to the change to add 2-bit and 4-bit weights/activations and CNN2SNN to improve accuracy and to provide backwards compatibility with pre-existing CNN system models.

Thus the original 1-bit weights/activations format is still available in the updated Akida 1000 for applications where this provides sufficient accuracy, and still provides the same power efficiency and speed.

So the original Akida demonstration chip and Akida 1000 were both technical successes in that they performed as they were deigned. Commercially, the Akida 1000 was never really given the chance to fully test the market as the marketing effort was switched to IP licensing, a strategy which substantially changed the target market from end users to chip makers and major chip consumers. The original marketing plan was to supply chips for those who required less than 1 million chips, and to licence the IP to those who required more. Thus the general market was not educated to the value of the chip. Potential customers would need to have known about Akida's capabilities so they could determine if they had a use case.

I'm sure the potential profit margin for the IP far outweighs the profit from the chips, while, on the other hand, the sale of chips has a much shorter lead time than IP licensing.

So, as Sir Humphery would have said "That is a very courageous move ..."

Before the rug was pulled, Akida 1000 had some limited commercial success, but further potential success was curtailed, or rather stalled, by the announcement of Akida 2.

"Stalled" is more appropriate, as Akida 1000 is not dead, it's just lying doggo.

Akida 1500 is simply Akida 1000 without the ARM Cortx processor, and, in its current embodiment, in 22nm FDSoI, though obviously it could be made in any CMOS process.

After Akida 1000 was commercialized, customers requested LSTM and the recently-developed Transformer capabilities, so, to some extent, Akida 1000 was superseded for applications which needed these capabilities. But Akida 1000 is still the best option for applications which do not require these capabilities.

Akida 2, with TeNNs, ViT, and Long Skip, provides a solution which, in some respects, surpasses these capabilities.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 61 users

cosors

👀
The other photo of our new best friends.
View attachment 46513
How many have spoken of ink on paper here...
Screenshot_2023-10-07-18-22-17-96_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

Justchilln

Regular
Hi Manny,

Perfection is a lofty goal in such a rapidly changing technological environment.

The initial demonstration Akida chip had 1-bit weights and activations. It was ultra-fast and ultra-power efficient. The EAP feedback led to the change to add 2-bit and 4-bit weights/activations and CNN2SNN to improve accuracy and to provide backwards compatibility with pre-existing CNN system models.

Thus the original 1-bit weights/activations format is still available in the updated Akida 1000 for applications where this provides sufficient accuracy, and still provides the same power efficiency and speed.

So the original Akida demonstration chip and Akida 1000 were both technical successes in that they performed as they were deigned. Commercially, the Akida 1000 was never really given the chance to fully test the market as the marketing effort was switched to IP licensing, a strategy which substantially changed the target market from end users to chip makers and major chip consumers. The original marketing plan was to supply chips for those who required less than 1 million chips, and to licence the IP to those who required more. Thus the general market was not educated to the value of the chip. Potential customers would need to have known about Akida's capabilities so they could determine if they had a use case.

I'm sure the potential profit margin for the IP far outweighs the profit from the chips, while, on the other hand, the sale of chips has a much shorter lead time than IP licensing.

So, as Sir Humphery would have said "That is a very courageous move ..."

Before the rug was pulled, Akida 1000 had some limited commercial success, but further potential success was curtailed, or rather stalled, by the announcement of Akida 2.

"Stalled" is more appropriate, as Akida 1000 is not dead, it's just lying doggo.

Akida 1500 is simply Akida 1000 without the ARM Cortx processor, and, in its current embodiment, in 22nm FDSoI, though obviously it could be made in any CMOS process.

After Akida 1000 was commercialized, customers requested LSTM and the recently-developed Transformer capabilities, so, to some extent, Akida 1000 was superseded for applications which needed these capabilities. But Akida 1000 is still the best option for applications which do not require these capabilities.

Akida 2, with TeNNs, ViT, and Long Skip, provides a solution which, in some respects, surpasses these capabilities.
What’s your thoughts as to whether customers are going to wait for the 2.0 hardware development kits to to trial and prototype before signing licenses?
Have they even been tapped out?

Reactions: 2 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
SAMSUNG and SONY collab on ISIMs. Possible we are involved here imo, i assume this is similar to the TEAL product I've been posting about

The low power consumption and small size means the iSIM is suited to battery-constrained IoT devices operating in low-power wide-area networks (LPWANs) through Narrowband IoT (NB-IoT) or LTE-M connections. Wearables are also among the potential areas of application. Typical use cases can be found in market segments such as smart metering, agtech, smart health, tracking and tracing or the entire spectrum of massive IoT.
Screenshot_20231008_074629_LinkedIn.jpg

• Thinking
  • Fire
Reactions: 9 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
Our camera solutions and the Renesas platform work together to serve a wide range of applications in a variety of industries that require an ideal power-to-performance ratio.

These include cutting-edge applications like agriculture robots, self-checkout, intelligent traffic management systems, sports analytics systems, and more.

Screenshot_20231008_075532_LinkedIn.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
SAMSUNG and SONY collab on ISIMs. Possible we are involved here imo, i assume this is similar to the TEAL product I've been posting about

The low power consumption and small size means the iSIM is suited to battery-constrained IoT devices operating in low-power wide-area networks (LPWANs) through Narrowband IoT (NB-IoT) or LTE-M connections. Wearables are also among the potential areas of application. Typical use cases can be found in market segments such as smart metering, agtech, smart health, tracking and tracing or the entire spectrum of massive IoT. View attachment 46559
Like this:

TEAL JOINS FORCES WITH BOTLINK TO ADVANCE THE ADOPTION OF BVLOS DRONE TECHNOLOGY
Screenshot_20231008_080459_LinkedIn.jpg

• Thinking
Reactions: 8 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
Our GPUs can be found in over 80% of smart TVs, 50% of smartphones, and 20% of automotive products worldwide.

Screenshot_20231008_081729_LinkedIn.jpg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users

Frangipani

Regular
Could this possibly be a demo involving drones??

I thought the same when I first saw flight. I then googled what the term 'time of flight' was:

"Time-of-Flight (ToF) sensors are used for a range of applications, including robot navigation, vehicle monitoring, people counting, and object detection. ToF distance sensors use the time that it takes for photons to travel between two points to calculate the distance between the points."

May I offer my assistance in solving that puzzle? 😉

Look what I found here (unfortunately no videos, just lots of photos):

Rob Telson not only presented the well-known “keyword spotting with drone” video from last year, but also a totally new demo (AFAICT) on Akida Edge Learning with ToF sensors “Time of Flight Face Detection - Anti Spoofing”!

2E15B482-8C2E-482F-A54A-12B0A9567D37.jpeg

FA31426F-85E4-4C67-9C42-1215FAAE7F57.jpeg
E4AC7905-9E30-48BE-B264-8C84D125A869.jpeg

CE9852D1-2E36-48B3-9BA5-8ACA7C0AD386.jpeg

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 94 users

Frangipani

Regular
Our camera solutions and the Renesas platform work together to serve a wide range of applications in a variety of industries that require an ideal power-to-performance ratio.

These include cutting-edge applications like agriculture robots, self-checkout, intelligent traffic management systems, sports analytics systems, and more.

View attachment 46560

Interestingly, I had just come across that very company when googling for ToF sensors… 😉

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users

Quatrojos

Regular
What’s your thoughts as to whether customers are going to wait for the 2.0 hardware development kits to to trial and prototype before signing licenses?
Tapped out is how shareholders feel...

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Just to show how difficult a complete view can be:

View attachment 46542
View attachment 46543
View attachment 46545
By the way, that BNP Paribas Clearstream Account with 4,47% belongs to the German Stock Exchange and bundles investments of the German industry.
Still a very interesting question, who's behind that Citicorp nominees account. Could easily add one more percent and install a non-exec director at the company. So maybe this could be the validation of a potential customer.
Citi Corp is Anil, if I recall correctly. Don't take my word for it.

Reactions: 3 users
Huge show coming up, the 2023 Japan Mobility Show (26th October to 5th November):

I've also attached a list of the exhibitors, which includes Mercedes Benz and Valeo.

Plenty to look out for.

Attachments

• ListofExhibitors_0829 (1).pdf
    983 KB · Views: 134
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users

Boab

I wish I could paint like Vincent
Another little update to the website. Apologies if already posted
EDGx.jpg

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 44 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Yes, Some customers reviewing Akida 1 did put their research on hold to wait for Akida 2. I imagine they would have been pretty unhappy if they found out about Akida 2 shortly after they started making Akida 1.

However, there will probably be a number of customers for whom Akida 1 is more than adequate. There will be a pricing differential for the added functionality of Akida 2.

We know Renesas taped out several months ago, and we know that MegaChips was involved in the "back end" design of Akida 1500. The rest is silence.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 42 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
An interesting development as U.S. lawmakers are pushing to limit American corporate engagement with open-source chip technology RISC-V, alleging that it aids Beijing’s semiconductor goals and could potentially compromise US national security.

Good news for Arm 💪 but bad news for Qualcomm I guess, considering they're working heavily with RISC-V chips.

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 13 users

Shadow59

Regular
An interesting development as U.S. lawmakers are pushing to limit American corporate engagement with open-source chip technology RISC-V, alleging that it aids Beijing’s semiconductor goals and could potentially compromise US national security.

Good news for Arm 💪 but bad news for Qualcomm I guess, considering they're working heavily with RISC-V chips.

Also bad news for SiFive

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 7 users

rgupta

Regular

And can be bad news for us as well. As we work closely with Sifive.

• Fire
Reactions: 3 users

rgupta

Regular

How they will stop arm either? Arm have a full fledged presence in china.

• Love

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
Also bad news for SiFive
Will be interesting to see how this pans out as some reports suggest that crackdowns and restrictions are doomed to fail.

• Thinking
Reactions: 5 users

rgupta

Regular

Does it mean that the tussel is going on for quite a time now. That is why LDN openly claimed we will not need Chinese money for brn developments.
I assume brainchip is well aware of those developments and should be benefitted by hiding themselves from Chinese money.

• Fire
Top Bottom