Look who I found on the LTR thread on HC

Attachments

• 5A11A516-C1D5-4433-B76D-A8218D6277BA.png
    5A11A516-C1D5-4433-B76D-A8218D6277BA.png
    557.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
Check out these revenues! They are astronomical! To think we only need to get our mitts on just a smidge of this and we'd all be rather jolly I'd say.🥂

• Fire
  • Wow
Reactions: 18 users

Chilling

Look who I found on the LTR thread on HC
Seems fair definitely a time to be taking profits soon if you have been lucky enough to enjoy the meteoric rises on some of them.
The lithium price will return to fair value soon enough and most aren't producing any product at all along way off.
Put some profits into semiconductors such as BRN

• Haha
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Dhm

Regular
https://www.luminartech.com/mb/

Not sure if posted before but underlines the link with Luminar and Merx.

TechGirl

Founding Member
I was wondering about the Mercedes Luminar Lidar partnership that was announced in Jan this year & what it meant for the Valeo Mercedes Brainchip connection we have. I came across this article that shows how Luminar in using Valeo sensors for its Lidar.

Business news | January 23, 2022

Mercedes-Benz and lidar expert Luminar Technologies, Inc. have entered into a partnership to develop future technologies for highly automated driving.

By Christoph Hammerschmidt

Share:

The partnership with Luminar is intended to underline Mercedes-Benz’s approach to expanding its network of high-calibre technology partners and suppliers. The aim of the collaboration with Luminar is to further develop the US company’s current lidar technology so that these lidar sensors can be integrated into Mercedes-Benz’s vehicle series production. The aim is also to shorten development cycles and thus ensure the availability of the latest technologies for Mercedes-Benz vehicles.

“Luminar fits perfectly into our existing collaborations with leading and innovative technology companies,” says Markus Schäfer, CTO of Mercedes-Benz AG. “Mercedes-Benz has already reached an important milestone by achieving the SAE Level 3 standard in automated driving. Collaborations are a key part of our strategy.”

As part of this partnership, Mercedes-Benz Luminar will enable continuous product improvements and updates with a data-driven development approach.

Just recently, Mercedes-Benz became the first automotive manufacturer in the world to receive an internationally valid system approval for highly automated driving (SAE Level 3) – a milestone in automotive development. The “Drive Pilot” highly automated driving system is to go into series production this year in the S-Class and the EQS. However, the lidar sensors for these models do not come from Luminar. Instead, Valeo supplies these components. Luminar, on the other hand, supplies its technology not only to Mercedes Benz, but also to Daimler Truck AG and Volvo. In addition, Luminar cooperates with Nvidia and Mobileye – so one can assume that their platforms for autonomous driving are equipped with Luminar lidars.

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/
www.luminartech.com

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 31 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
Where are you seeing the publication date?
I thought the publication date was at the top right of the page. But I now notice that has been updated to today's date so it may just be the date the page is feed to the viewer.

There is a list of news items below the article which is up-to-date - this gave me the impression the article was current.

I have attempted to send an email to the identified contact - but that has now bounced.

1648772771283.png

• Fire

Lex555

Regular
These type of dilemmas are the reason I had thought I would never see fully autonomous vehicles on public roads (at least not autonomous vehicles controlled by a Von Neumann based computer), yet they exist.

The situations mentioned by @Jumpchooks are but a couple of situations that CAN be thought of and programmed before-hand. That is the trouble with a Von Neumann based system. It needs a set of instructions and set of data that is coded up BEFORE-HAND. This only works with deterministic problems - those for which everything is known, at least for the solution space that is desired.

The trouble I see with a fully autonomous vehicle is that the problem is non-deterministic. I.e. it contains things that are unknown and even things that can never be known before hand. Even the sheer number of knowns is immense.

And as you say @Jumpchooks, the human psyche has a way of dealing with unknowns on-the-fly—intuition, instinct, luck, guess work and pre-emotive thinking are some of the ways of handling unknowns. I suppose this is why neuromorphic processors where first conceived; emulating brain neurons and synapses in a hope to emulate the way the brain forms new pathways to handle new situations, and the more those pathways are exercised the more permanent they become. Hence learning and adaptability to change—a mechanism to deal with unknowns. Isn’t it even more amazing that Brainchip have been able to actually produce this in silicon!

So for the non-deterministic problem of a fully autonomous vehicle we are left with a “good enough” solution. And if that “good enough” solution is better than the best driver on the road, that may even be the “best solution” or at least an improvement and a benefit to humanity. I’m actually ok with that!

How do we determine the “better than” in the above. Basically this is being determined by accident avoidance and responsiveness. But once again, this is ONLY for known situations.

Statistics are gathered that show less accidents, so that is deemed positive.

But statistics also prove more serious accidents as autonomous vehicles tend to plough into perceived non-threatening obstacles at full speed. Crash investigations have shown that fatal autonomous vehicle accidents tend to not have had any attempt to apply the brakes. Turning what could have been a less serious accident into a fatal one.

Remember the Tesla that slammed into a table-top truck turning in front of it on the freeway. Due to heading toward the sun that was low on the horizon, the car was somewhat blinded and did not see the truck. The Tesla hence carried on at speed, resulting in the death of its occupant. An astute human driver may have slowed down as the sunlight conditions made it difficult to fully appreciate what lay ahead on the road. A human driver most likely would have thought to shade the sun. The Tesla had not been programmed to make such a judgement call.

There’s also the dilemma of do least harm and at what cost. When are the occupants of the vehicle deemed less worthy of saving than a group of pedestrians, for instance? Is it based solely on numbers? Or do the autonomous vehicle designers program to protect the vehicle occupants at all costs? That probably is how a human in command of a vehicle would think!

A human driver can say I didn‘t have time to think. But a computer program will most likely always have ample time to run through a large number of potential outcomes and pick one that best meats its programmed parameters. And whoever designs those parameters should be accountable for the outcome.

This adds strength to the recent Mercedes announcement that the company will take responsibility for accidents. I fail to see how this will actually apply in the case of a fatality, and especially internationally. Will some company exec or developer wear man slaughter, or even murder, charges if proven that the design/coding had malicious intent either deliberately or even by omission?

I suppose only time will tell.

It will all come down to the value of a life metric, multiplied by the expected number of lives lost compared to the number of lives saved (assuming that is possible to determine). It will all come down to money!

Personally I would never be a willing passenger in a driverless vehicle. I like the act of driving and of being in control. Getting from point a to point b is not the sole purpose of any trip I go on. I derive a lot of pleasure out of the act of driving.

I am 100% supportive of driver assist technology as it can enable the driver to enjoy more of the driving experience by taking care of some of the more mundane tasks (e.g. sticking to the speed limit) and it does improve safety.
I sympathise with your love of driving but give AI progress over say 10-20 years, and it’ll be hard for society to justify a human driver who by then will all be labeled incompetent, to use the same road way with AI. The varaiation between man and machine by then will be akin to justifying drink driving.

Human driving, along with combustion driving will probably be a very popular race track experience

• Fire

Bravo

Excuse me if I mention Cerence again but here goes. Cerence and Lotus Eletre!

Voice control through advanced speech recognition technology is available in the worl'd first electric hyper SUV, the new Lotus Eletre.

March 30, 2022

March 3, 2021

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
I sympathise with your love of driving but give AI progress over say 10-20 years, and it’ll be hard for society to justify a human driver who by then will all be labeled incompetent, to use the same road way with AI. The varaiation between man and machine by then will be akin to justifying drink driving.

Human driving, along with combustion driving will probably be a very popular race track experience
Quite probably, bad sadly, very true @Lex555.

Maybe I'll get me one of those pretend driving wheels so I at least feel like I'm driving.

1648776348038.png

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Bravo

Excuse me if I mention Cerence again but here goes. Cerence and Lotus Eletre!

Voice control through advanced speech recognition technology is available in the worl'd first electric hyper SUV, the new Lotus Eletre.

March 30, 2022

March 3, 2021

So the Lotus Eletre was designed in the UK – with help from parent company Geely's studios in China. Ni hao, Geely!

Cerence Investor Presentation from 27 August 21

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 12.27.20 pm.png

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 14 users
I was wondering about the Mercedes Luminar Lidar partnership that was announced in Jan this year & what it meant for the Valeo Mercedes Brainchip connection we have. I came across this article that shows how Luminar in using Valeo sensors for its Lidar.

Business news | January 23, 2022

Mercedes-Benz and lidar expert Luminar Technologies, Inc. have entered into a partnership to develop future technologies for highly automated driving.

By Christoph Hammerschmidt

Share:

The partnership with Luminar is intended to underline Mercedes-Benz’s approach to expanding its network of high-calibre technology partners and suppliers. The aim of the collaboration with Luminar is to further develop the US company’s current lidar technology so that these lidar sensors can be integrated into Mercedes-Benz’s vehicle series production. The aim is also to shorten development cycles and thus ensure the availability of the latest technologies for Mercedes-Benz vehicles.

“Luminar fits perfectly into our existing collaborations with leading and innovative technology companies,” says Markus Schäfer, CTO of Mercedes-Benz AG. “Mercedes-Benz has already reached an important milestone by achieving the SAE Level 3 standard in automated driving. Collaborations are a key part of our strategy.”

As part of this partnership, Mercedes-Benz Luminar will enable continuous product improvements and updates with a data-driven development approach.

Just recently, Mercedes-Benz became the first automotive manufacturer in the world to receive an internationally valid system approval for highly automated driving (SAE Level 3) – a milestone in automotive development. The “Drive Pilot” highly automated driving system is to go into series production this year in the S-Class and the EQS. However, the lidar sensors for these models do not come from Luminar. Instead, Valeo supplies these components. Luminar, on the other hand, supplies its technology not only to Mercedes Benz, but also to Daimler Truck AG and Volvo. In addition, Luminar cooperates with Nvidia and Mobileye – so one can assume that their platforms for autonomous driving are equipped with Luminar lidars.

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/
www.luminartech.com
I am not sure that your conclusion is correct. Luminar on their web site maintain that they have spent the last 7 years building their Lidar from the chip up all in house.

The following video has the speaker from Luminar basically pouring cold water on Valeo's Lidar so I think they are not working together or if they are it will not be for long.

Comparing what Luminar shows their Lidar doing with what I recall Valeo released this year I actually cannot see that it is streets ahead of Valeo if at all.

When I read the web site particularly in relation to positions vacant adds for engineers etc; it is stated as a fact that Luminar is only working with Daimler Truck AG not with Mercedes Benz passenger vehicles and there is not one word about neuromorphic computing or Ai as even a nice have quality in the engineers they want to employ.

When I read about the autonomous parking system that Mercedes Benz has had approved by regulators in the USA, being the first in the world to obtain such an approval, they are working with Valeo no mention of Luminar. It seems unlikely given the length of time it takes to obtain such approvals I cannot see Mercedes Benz running with Valeo only to switch to Luminar mid stream.

Anyway I am happy to be proven completely wrong but I do not think the article you have linked proves a Luminar Valeo relationship other than as competitors.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Thinking
Reactions: 3 users

TechGirl

Founding Member
I am not sure that your conclusion is correct. Luminar on their web site maintain that they have spent the last 7 years building their Lidar from the chip up all in house.

The following video has the speaker from Luminar basically pouring cold water on Valeo's Lidar so I think they are not working together or if they are it will not be for long.

Comparing what Luminar shows their Lidar doing with what I recall Valeo released this year I actually cannot see that it is streets ahead of Valeo if at all.

When I read the web site particularly in relation to positions vacant adds for engineers etc; it is stated as a fact that Luminar is only working with Daimler Truck AG not with Mercedes Benz passenger vehicles and there is not one word about neuromorphic computing or Ai as even a nice have quality in the engineers they want to employ.

When I read about the autonomous parking system that Mercedes Benz has had approved by regulators in the USA, being the first in the world to obtain such an approval, they are working with Valeo no mention of Luminar. It seems unlikely given the length of time it takes to obtain such approvals I cannot see Mercedes Benz running with Valeo only to switch to Luminar mid stream.

Anyway I am happy to be proven completely wrong but I do not think the article you have linked proves a Luminar Valeo relationship other than as competitors.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

Okey Dokey, thanks FF 👍

Reactions: 2 users

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

I’ve been confused about the Valeo, Cerence, luminar connection for a while.

Here’s an earlier post where MB has a stake in luminar and plans to put them in their production vehicles:

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Here’s an earlier post where MB has a stake in luminar and plans to put them in their production vehicles:

Others involved with Valeo collaboration; big names!

Attachments

• 8DF15C60-B376-424D-8CD1-D55DD55B060E.jpeg
    8DF15C60-B376-424D-8CD1-D55DD55B060E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 64

TechGirl

Founding Member

hmmm interesting :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users

Reuben

Founding Member
1648780295443.png

response from Luminar
1648780321344.png

I reached out to Luminar to see if they are working with us.
If they werent working with us - I would have expected an answer like No, we arent working with Brainchip or No, we arent working with Brainchip at this point (Thats what WBT had replied about a year or 2 back). This reply makes me wonder ???

• Thinking
  • Fire
Reactions: 41 users
View attachment 3595
response from Luminar
View attachment 3596

If they werent working with us - I would have expected an answer like No, we arent working with Brainchip or No, we arent working with Brainchip at this point (Thats what WBT had replied about a year or 2 back). This reply makes me wonder ???
Great work, straight to the source!

Trey’s reply might’ve well just thrown fuel onto a fire!

I’m kinda hoping for no announcements until after Wednesday next week please.

Cheers

• Haha

Lex555

Regular
View attachment 3595
response from Luminar
View attachment 3596

Yep I interpret that as an evasive answer too. They could have easily said a straight up no.

Reactions: 11 users
Top Bottom