BRN Discussion Ongoing

HopalongPetrovski

I'm Spartacus!
Nice try to come to Sean’s defence, but I doubt it… 😊

In fact, I’d bet that quite a few posters here on TSE wouldn’t have been aware of the correct pronunciation of Loihi either, but then again they are not CEOs speaking in public, surrounded by neuromorphic lingo day in, day out.

Anyway, overall I thought that Sean fared really well in that presentation, just like in the May interview with Noah, the ASX Investor (who is a genius!) - worlds apart from the insecure impression he had left on me during this year’s AGM, when an eloquent Antonio Viana had to come to his rescue more than once, if I remember correctly.

Also, I just wanted to give a shout-out to whoever is designing those presentation slides that look really professional! 👍🏻

While I am not sure whether the last slide’s kite was intentionally created to look like a diamond, it definitely does to me, reminding us shareholders of the gem this company is, albeit many - some knowing better and with ulterior motives - want us to believe it is merely fool’s gold we’ve been accumulating.

View attachment 44452

I am most likely reading far too much into it (especially since this was a presentation for potential investors, not shareholders) but one could even interpret it as an hommage to the many diamond hands among us… 💎 🙌
Admittedly, now I really start to sound like a QAnon conspiracy believer dissecting so-called breadcrumbs. 🤣

I know they say you should never fall in love with a stock, but some stocks just seem to be irresistible… 😍
AH-HA!!!
I always felt you had a touch of the old conspiracy beaver in your makeup! 🤣

Unknown.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Damo4

Regular

In fact, I’d bet that quite a few posters here on TSE wouldn’t have been aware of the correct pronunciation of Loihi either, but then again they are not CEOs speaking in public, surrounded by neuromorphic lingo day in, day out.

Anyway, overall I thought that Sean fared really well in that presentation, just like in the May interview with Noah, the ASX Investor (who is a genius!) - worlds apart from the insecure impression he had left on me during this year’s AGM, when an eloquent Antonio Viana had to come to his rescue more than once, if I remember correctly.

Also, I just wanted to give a shout-out to whoever is designing those presentation slides that look really professional! 👍🏻

While I am not sure whether the last slide’s kite was intentionally created to look like a diamond, it definitely does to me, reminding us shareholders of the gem this company is, albeit many - some knowing better and with ulterior motives - want us to believe it is merely fool’s gold we’ve been accumulating.

View attachment 44452

I am most likely reading far too much into it (especially since this was a presentation for potential investors, not shareholders) but one could even interpret it as an hommage to the many diamond hands among us… 💎 🙌
Admittedly, now I really start to sound like a QAnon conspiracy believer dissecting so-called breadcrumbs. 🤣

I know they say you should never fall in love with a stock, but some stocks just seem to be irresistible… 😍
Hahahha spot on, I didn't know that's how it was pronounced either!

Reactions: 2 users

Draed

Regular
I bought again today.... was a good presentation, but not alot of new information. Maybe some more flamboyant language used though.

My feeling about the position this company is in compared to the stock price, is that the company gained two licenses from akida 1.0... fairly quick after its release, with large institutions. 2.0 is a direct refurbishment from customer input. Once 2.0 is out, it's just a matter of time before the rest jump on board. That also might line up with the product development timeline for royalties to start flowing in from 1.0.

There is a common tactic in marketing called 'the lost leader', where a company produces a sub omitimal product, with specs below an intended future product at a low cost . The psychology is that the 'lost product' is only made available to bring new business and set up for the future full spec, full priced product. Not sure if that's what is going on here.... do your own research etc etc.

• Thinking
  • Fire
Reactions: 17 users
He actually said "exceptionally high" interest (if I am not mistaken) and he said it twice in the Oppenheimer presentation. :love:
First-time poster but a longtime lurker.

In my opinion, this is perhaps the best presentation I've ever seen from BRN.

Similar statements have been made in the past, about unprecedented level of interest, inquiries higher than ever before and potential clients are deferring their appraisal until the 2.0 release. It does frustrate me that they don't provide more quantifiable information. What does exceptionally high mean? I appreciate they have to play their card close to the chest, but it is giving me an uneasy feeling when they make those statements that it really means last year we had two interested parties, and this year we have three.

Luppo71

Founding Member
Nvidia is slowing everyones progress:

TECHNOLOGY

September 11, 2023 8:41 PM UTC

Focus: Nvidia's dominance in AI chips deters funding for startups

Nvidia's (NVDA.O) supremacy in building computer chips for artificial intelligence has chilled venture funding for would-be rivals, investors said, with the number of U.S. deals this quarter falling 80% from a year ago.

The Santa Clara, California company dominates the market for chips that work with massive amounts of language data. Generative AI models get incrementally smarter through exposure to more data, a process called training.

As Nvidia has grown stronger in this area, the harder it has become for companies attempting to build competing chips. Seeing these startups as a riskier bet, venture financiers are newly unwilling to provide big cash infusions. Advancing a chip design to a working prototype can cost more than $500 million, so the pullback has quickly threatened the startups' prospects.

"Nvidia’s continued dominance has put a really fine point on how hard it is to break into this market," said Greg Reichow, a partner at Eclipse Ventures. "This has resulted in a pullback in investment into these companies, or at least into many of them."

U.S. chip startups have raised $881.4 million through the end of August, according to PitchBook data. That compares to $1.79 billion for the first three quarters of 2022. The number of deals has dropped from 23 to four through the end of August.

Nvidia declined to comment.

AI chip startup Mythic, which has raised about $160 million in total, ran out of cash last year and was nearly forced to halt operations, technology website The Register reported. But it managed to bring in a relatively modest $13 million investment several months later in March.

Nvidia has "indirectly" contributed to overall AI chip fundraising woes, because investors want "Home run only type investments with a huge investment, huge return," Mythic CEO Dave Rick said.

Difficult economic conditions have added to the downturn in the cyclical semiconductor industry, Rick said.

A secretive startup called Rivos, which is working on chip designs for data servers has had trouble raising funding recently, said two sources familiar with the company's situation.

A Rivos spokesperson said Nvidia's market dominance hasn't hindered its fundraising efforts and its hardware and software "continues to excite our investors."

Rivos is embroiled in litigation with Apple (AAPL.O), which has accused Rivos of stealing intellectual property, and this has compounded the fundraising challenge.

DEMANDING INVESTORS

Chip startups looking to raise cash are facing tougher demands from investors. They require companies to have a product that is within months of launch or already generating sales, sources said.

About two years ago, new investments in chip startups were often $200 million or $300 million. That has fallen to about $100 million, according to PitchBook analyst Brendan Burke.

At least two AI chip startups have overcome investor reluctance by trumpeting potential customers or their relationships with well-known executives.

To raise $100 million in August, Tenstorrent boasted about CEO Jim Keller, a near legendary chip architect who has designed chips for Apple, Advanced Micro Devices (AMD.O) and Tesla (TSLA.O).

D-Matrix, which has projected revenue of less than $10 million this year, raised $110 million last week, bolstered by financial backing from Microsoft and a commitment by the Windows maker to test d-Matrix's new AI chip after it launches next year.

While these chip makers in Nvidia's shadow struggle, startups in AI software and related technologies do not face the same constraints. They brought in about $24 billion in funding this year through August, according to PitchBook data.

Despite Nvidia's dominance in AI computing, the company does not have an unassailable lock on the sector. AMD plans to launch this year a chip that will compete with Nvidia's, and Intel (INTC.O) leapfrogged development by gaining a rival product in an acquisition. Sources see these as having long-term potential to become alternatives to Nvidia's chip.

There are also adjacent applications that could provide openings for competitors. For example, chips that perform data-intensive computing for prediction algorithms are an emerging niche. Nvidia does not dominate this area and it's ripe for investment.

Reporting by Max A. Cherney in San Francisco; editing by Kenneth Li, Cynthia Osterman and Christian Schmollinger

Very good reason they stopped them from buying ARM.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 10 users

Diogenese

Top 20
I bought again today.... was a good presentation, but not alot of new information. Maybe some more flamboyant language used though.

My feeling about the position this company is in compared to the stock price, is that the company gained two licenses from akida 1.0... fairly quick after its release, with large institutions. 2.0 is a direct refurbishment from customer input. Once 2.0 is out, it's just a matter of time before the rest jump on board. That also might line up with the product development timeline for royalties to start flowing in from 1.0.

There is a common tactic in marketing called 'the lost leader', where a company produces a sub omitimal product, with specs below an intended future product at a low cost . The psychology is that the 'lost product' is only made available to bring new business and set up for the future full spec, full priced product. Not sure if that's what is going on here.... do your own research etc etc.
Hi Draed,

Akida 2 is much more than a progression based on customer input (CI). CI may explain ViT, but TeNNs was a serendipitous revolutionary invention developed by one of our engineers which greatly improves the power efficiency, speed and footprint of Akida. I'm looking forward to the publication of the patent application to see how it works.

On the shoulders of giants ...

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 64 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Nvidia is slowing everyones progress:

TECHNOLOGY

September 11, 2023 8:41 PM UTC

Focus: Nvidia's dominance in AI chips deters funding for startups

Nvidia's (NVDA.O) supremacy in building computer chips for artificial intelligence has chilled venture funding for would-be rivals, investors said, with the number of U.S. deals this quarter falling 80% from a year ago.

The Santa Clara, California company dominates the market for chips that work with massive amounts of language data. Generative AI models get incrementally smarter through exposure to more data, a process called training.

As Nvidia has grown stronger in this area, the harder it has become for companies attempting to build competing chips. Seeing these startups as a riskier bet, venture financiers are newly unwilling to provide big cash infusions. Advancing a chip design to a working prototype can cost more than $500 million, so the pullback has quickly threatened the startups' prospects.

"Nvidia’s continued dominance has put a really fine point on how hard it is to break into this market," said Greg Reichow, a partner at Eclipse Ventures. "This has resulted in a pullback in investment into these companies, or at least into many of them."

U.S. chip startups have raised $881.4 million through the end of August, according to PitchBook data. That compares to $1.79 billion for the first three quarters of 2022. The number of deals has dropped from 23 to four through the end of August.

Nvidia declined to comment.

AI chip startup Mythic, which has raised about $160 million in total, ran out of cash last year and was nearly forced to halt operations, technology website The Register reported. But it managed to bring in a relatively modest $13 million investment several months later in March.

Nvidia has "indirectly" contributed to overall AI chip fundraising woes, because investors want "Home run only type investments with a huge investment, huge return," Mythic CEO Dave Rick said.

Difficult economic conditions have added to the downturn in the cyclical semiconductor industry, Rick said.

A secretive startup called Rivos, which is working on chip designs for data servers has had trouble raising funding recently, said two sources familiar with the company's situation.

A Rivos spokesperson said Nvidia's market dominance hasn't hindered its fundraising efforts and its hardware and software "continues to excite our investors."

Rivos is embroiled in litigation with Apple (AAPL.O), which has accused Rivos of stealing intellectual property, and this has compounded the fundraising challenge.

DEMANDING INVESTORS

Chip startups looking to raise cash are facing tougher demands from investors. They require companies to have a product that is within months of launch or already generating sales, sources said.

About two years ago, new investments in chip startups were often $200 million or $300 million. That has fallen to about $100 million, according to PitchBook analyst Brendan Burke.

At least two AI chip startups have overcome investor reluctance by trumpeting potential customers or their relationships with well-known executives.

To raise $100 million in August, Tenstorrent boasted about CEO Jim Keller, a near legendary chip architect who has designed chips for Apple, Advanced Micro Devices (AMD.O) and Tesla (TSLA.O).

D-Matrix, which has projected revenue of less than $10 million this year, raised $110 million last week, bolstered by financial backing from Microsoft and a commitment by the Windows maker to test d-Matrix's new AI chip after it launches next year.

While these chip makers in Nvidia's shadow struggle, startups in AI software and related technologies do not face the same constraints. They brought in about $24 billion in funding this year through August, according to PitchBook data.

Despite Nvidia's dominance in AI computing, the company does not have an unassailable lock on the sector. AMD plans to launch this year a chip that will compete with Nvidia's, and Intel (INTC.O) leapfrogged development by gaining a rival product in an acquisition. Sources see these as having long-term potential to become alternatives to Nvidia's chip.

There are also adjacent applications that could provide openings for competitors. For example, chips that perform data-intensive computing for prediction algorithms are an emerging niche. Nvidia does not dominate this area and it's ripe for investment.

Reporting by Max A. Cherney in San Francisco; editing by Kenneth Li, Cynthia Osterman and Christian Schmollinger

You've got to wonder if the people who've bid Nvidia up so high have done their DD, or just followed the leader. In particular, did they check left field?

• Fire
Reactions: 18 users

Esq.111

Fascinatingly Intuitive.
Evening Chippers ,

One would think...... , some one of a sound mind in charge of the Australian Sovereign Wealth Fund , also referred to as the Australian Future Fund ( ABOUT $200,000,000,000.00 AU under management), would step in & start hoovering up our shares at such a ridiculously low price.

Alternatively I guess we could simply buy the tech back at an inflated price ...... FUCK ME SPINNING......AUKAS???.

Alot of people have a LOT TO ANSWER FOR.

Rant over... for now

Regards,
Esq.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users

HopalongPetrovski

I'm Spartacus!
Evening Chippers ,

One would think...... , some one of a sound mind in charge of the Australian Sovereign Wealth Fund , also referred to as the Australian Future Fund ( ABOUT $200,000,000,000.00 AU under management), would step in & start hoovering up our shares at such a ridiculously low price.

Alternatively I guess we could simply buy the tech back at an inflated price ...... FUCK ME SPINNING......AUKAS???.

Alot of people have a LOT TO ANSWER FOR.

Rant over... for now

Regards,
Esq.
If they bought a few billion and just held it would probably pay for the subs. 🤣
But it'll no doubt go into a term deposit somewhere and just track inflation. 🙃

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

FJ-215

Regular

View attachment 44452

"Anyway, overall I thought that Sean fared really well in that presentation, just like in the May interview with Noah, the ASX Investor (who is a genius!) - worlds apart from the insecure impression he had left on me during this year’s AGM, when an eloquent Antonio Viana had to come to his rescue more than once, if I remember correctly."

Hi @Frangipani .

Google decided that I needed to watch these two videos back to back this morning (good call Google).

For me, I find Sean's scripted presentations hard to watch but he really does shine in a Q&A format. Best part of the Oppenheimer vid was the Q&A section and he barely puts a foot wrong with Noah (agree, genius).

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

Galaxycar

Regular
Sean has said many a time of exceptional interest look what that has got us,mums and dads loosing millions of their hard earned,would’nt trust a thing him or tony says
He actually said "exceptionally high" interest (if I am not mistaken) and he said it twice in the Oppenheimer presentation. :love:

Reactions: 1 users
Just a general IV with MB on AI but very clear their appetite for it.

Highlighted one sentence at the end I liked.

AI is the boost Mercedes-Benz needs to digitally transform​

Interview
Sep 06, 20237 mins
Artificial IntelligenceCIODigital Transformation

There’s hardly an industry not facing huge transformation processes thanks to AI. Here, Jürgen Hill, chief reporter of future technologies at Computerwoche, speaks with Jan Brecht, CIO of Mercedes-Benz Group AG, about the effects AI has on both the car manufacturer's IT strategy and employees.

Jan Brecht, CIO, Mercedes-Benz Group AG

CREDIT: MERCEDES-BENZ GROUP AG

Mercedes-Benz has long relied on machine learning and classic AI. But now you’re also using generative AI, for example in the MO360 production environment. What exactly is it about and to what extent does it change the profiles of employees?

With digitization and the increasing use of powerful AI systems, job profiles are changing in production and administration. AI is intended to improve and facilitate the day-to-day work of employees. New digital tools, for example, further enable production employees to optimize processes and quality management in the long term. The first interim results in MO360 are very promising, especially since we see it’s not only accepted by the IT experts, but also by the masters on the shop floor.

Your company has started the Turn2Learn qualification initiative. Which AI or digitization skills are taught to the employees?

Turn2Learn is an initiative of our HR department that focuses on digitization and AI. The offer ranges from AI and machine learning for beginners, to the Prompt Engineering learning path, to training courses on programming languages such as Python, deep learning and neural networks, reinforcement learning, RPA, and natural language processing. In total, employees have access to more than 40,000 courses on data and AI qualifications on various external learning platforms. We also started the Best Team initiative in IT because our greatest asset is our people. So it’s of great importance to us to attract and retain the best employees and enable them to fulfil their individual potential.

Does Mercedes only train the employees working in production or office workers as well?

We invest in the development of digital skills in all areas of the company. Regardless of whether they’re colleagues from production or administration, everyone needs the relevant knowledge and new skills to use AI applications effectively in their everyday work. In two pilot programs, we’re currently training more than 600 employees from all areas of the group to become data and AI specialists.

Do you expect generative AI will lead to job losses?

We can’t yet say with certainty what effects increased digitization and generative AI will have on future working life. What is clear, however, is working methods will change, as will job profiles themselves. That’s why qualification is the key to successful transformation.

How does the work of employees change in the course of the digital transformation process, and as part of the introduction of AI?

Some activities will certainly be able to transfer to AI applications in the future, like repetitive activities or those related to pattern recognition. But that’s something positive because it means more freedom for strategic or creative work is opened up, just as automation and production robots have changed how cars are made.

When we talk about training employees, how far has Mercedes-Benz progressed using generative AI?

We’re really productive with generative AI in some areas—not just talking about pilots. For example, we’ve been using GitHub Copilot in software development since May and we’re seeing significant gains in efficiency there. We also use generative AI in the customer environment. In Great Britain, for example, an intelligent virtual assistant can interact with customers on the website and give specific answers to questions about operating instructions and vehicle information. Also, in our data platform MO360, a digital ecosystem of production, a generative AI helps us analyze and process the data. And with the help of a large language model, the data, or data patterns, are available so they can be queried by production employees using natural language, not just by specialists using highly specialized database queries. We’re currently testing this using ChatGPT. Ultimately, AI accelerates a democratization of data use.

In which areas do you see the greatest potential for AI?

We’ve dealt with this question very intensively and analyzed both external studies and tried out AI internally. On one hand, there’s the software development. We see very significant increases in efficiency there, be it on the engineering and vehicle development side, or on the enterprise side.

Another area is the dialogue with the customer. For the foreseeable future, the direct interaction of the AI with the customer, as is currently being tried out in the UK, will probably remain the exception. But I’m convinced AI applications will help further improve the customer experience and make processes more efficient.

One other area in which a lot of brain power must be invested is parametric design in engineering. There, AI will lead to major increases in productivity because it supports people at work.

And with the possibility of input by voice or keyboard—do employees have to be trained in the AI?

At the beginning, there’s initial training for the defined use cases in production. Plus, our employees have access to further training opportunities on the subject, including a learning path on prompt engineering. But they also learn how to use these tools in a creative way to try things out and see what works and what doesn’t.

In general, though, I believe prompting, or prompt engineering, is something you have to learn, so we’re considering whether we should offer training for it more widely throughout the company, and not just for selected IT and data professionals. It definitely helps to get more out of generative AI.

What teething troubles of AI or ChatGPT have you encountered so far?

Hallucinations are certainly a challenge. That was also a very delicate balancing act in direct customer interaction in the UK. You can largely rule out hallucinations by plausibility checks and the associated restrictions, but if you set the criteria too narrowly, the machine will tell you, “I can’t comment on that,” more often than you’d like. You have to be very careful and find the right balance. How to get a grip on hallucinations is perhaps the most important question to be solved at the moment, which is also at the center of AI research.

Will Mercedes-Benz only train its AI tools on its own data?

Yes. For example, if we want to explain our vehicles to customers visually, then this can only be done with our own training data. Incidentally, the training takes place exclusively in secure areas of these AI environments, so the data can’t be made public. There’s also some public data we can use for AI, but especially in the production environment, we rely on our own data.

Apart from Azure OpenAI Services in the production environment, what roles do other AI solutions play for Mercedes-Benz?

OpenAI is currently being portrayed in the media as a bit of an AI spearhead. And there’s a very good technical solution too, but we won’t limit ourselves to that. Of course, other companies have interesting solutions. We’re starting to look closely at open source alternatives. In addition to the large proprietary providers such as OpenAI, Microsoft or Google, we need to understand the open source alternatives.

I also believe we shouldn’t think of AI as an engine that stands somewhere unto itself. It needs to be deeply woven into our systems and processes. That’s why we require all our system partners to use AI elements in their environments. It must find its way into the entire system landscape, and it will.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 34 users

FJ-215

Regular
Just a general IV with MB on AI but very clear their appetite for it.

Highlighted one sentence at the end I liked.

AI is the boost Mercedes-Benz needs to digitally transform​

Interview
Sep 06, 20237 mins
Artificial IntelligenceCIODigital Transformation

There’s hardly an industry not facing huge transformation processes thanks to AI. Here, Jürgen Hill, chief reporter of future technologies at Computerwoche, speaks with Jan Brecht, CIO of Mercedes-Benz Group AG, about the effects AI has on both the car manufacturer's IT strategy and employees.

Jan Brecht, CIO, Mercedes-Benz Group AG

CREDIT: MERCEDES-BENZ GROUP AG

Mercedes-Benz has long relied on machine learning and classic AI. But now you’re also using generative AI, for example in the MO360 production environment. What exactly is it about and to what extent does it change the profiles of employees?

With digitization and the increasing use of powerful AI systems, job profiles are changing in production and administration. AI is intended to improve and facilitate the day-to-day work of employees. New digital tools, for example, further enable production employees to optimize processes and quality management in the long term. The first interim results in MO360 are very promising, especially since we see it’s not only accepted by the IT experts, but also by the masters on the shop floor.

Your company has started the Turn2Learn qualification initiative. Which AI or digitization skills are taught to the employees?

Turn2Learn is an initiative of our HR department that focuses on digitization and AI. The offer ranges from AI and machine learning for beginners, to the Prompt Engineering learning path, to training courses on programming languages such as Python, deep learning and neural networks, reinforcement learning, RPA, and natural language processing. In total, employees have access to more than 40,000 courses on data and AI qualifications on various external learning platforms. We also started the Best Team initiative in IT because our greatest asset is our people. So it’s of great importance to us to attract and retain the best employees and enable them to fulfil their individual potential.

Does Mercedes only train the employees working in production or office workers as well?

We invest in the development of digital skills in all areas of the company. Regardless of whether they’re colleagues from production or administration, everyone needs the relevant knowledge and new skills to use AI applications effectively in their everyday work. In two pilot programs, we’re currently training more than 600 employees from all areas of the group to become data and AI specialists.

Do you expect generative AI will lead to job losses?

We can’t yet say with certainty what effects increased digitization and generative AI will have on future working life. What is clear, however, is working methods will change, as will job profiles themselves. That’s why qualification is the key to successful transformation.

How does the work of employees change in the course of the digital transformation process, and as part of the introduction of AI?

Some activities will certainly be able to transfer to AI applications in the future, like repetitive activities or those related to pattern recognition. But that’s something positive because it means more freedom for strategic or creative work is opened up, just as automation and production robots have changed how cars are made.

When we talk about training employees, how far has Mercedes-Benz progressed using generative AI?

We’re really productive with generative AI in some areas—not just talking about pilots. For example, we’ve been using GitHub Copilot in software development since May and we’re seeing significant gains in efficiency there. We also use generative AI in the customer environment. In Great Britain, for example, an intelligent virtual assistant can interact with customers on the website and give specific answers to questions about operating instructions and vehicle information. Also, in our data platform MO360, a digital ecosystem of production, a generative AI helps us analyze and process the data. And with the help of a large language model, the data, or data patterns, are available so they can be queried by production employees using natural language, not just by specialists using highly specialized database queries. We’re currently testing this using ChatGPT. Ultimately, AI accelerates a democratization of data use.

In which areas do you see the greatest potential for AI?

We’ve dealt with this question very intensively and analyzed both external studies and tried out AI internally. On one hand, there’s the software development. We see very significant increases in efficiency there, be it on the engineering and vehicle development side, or on the enterprise side.

Another area is the dialogue with the customer. For the foreseeable future, the direct interaction of the AI with the customer, as is currently being tried out in the UK, will probably remain the exception. But I’m convinced AI applications will help further improve the customer experience and make processes more efficient.

One other area in which a lot of brain power must be invested is parametric design in engineering. There, AI will lead to major increases in productivity because it supports people at work.

And with the possibility of input by voice or keyboard—do employees have to be trained in the AI?

At the beginning, there’s initial training for the defined use cases in production. Plus, our employees have access to further training opportunities on the subject, including a learning path on prompt engineering. But they also learn how to use these tools in a creative way to try things out and see what works and what doesn’t.

In general, though, I believe prompting, or prompt engineering, is something you have to learn, so we’re considering whether we should offer training for it more widely throughout the company, and not just for selected IT and data professionals. It definitely helps to get more out of generative AI.

What teething troubles of AI or ChatGPT have you encountered so far?

Hallucinations are certainly a challenge. That was also a very delicate balancing act in direct customer interaction in the UK. You can largely rule out hallucinations by plausibility checks and the associated restrictions, but if you set the criteria too narrowly, the machine will tell you, “I can’t comment on that,” more often than you’d like. You have to be very careful and find the right balance. How to get a grip on hallucinations is perhaps the most important question to be solved at the moment, which is also at the center of AI research.

Will Mercedes-Benz only train its AI tools on its own data?

Yes. For example, if we want to explain our vehicles to customers visually, then this can only be done with our own training data. Incidentally, the training takes place exclusively in secure areas of these AI environments, so the data can’t be made public. There’s also some public data we can use for AI, but especially in the production environment, we rely on our own data.

Apart from Azure OpenAI Services in the production environment, what roles do other AI solutions play for Mercedes-Benz?

OpenAI is currently being portrayed in the media as a bit of an AI spearhead. And there’s a very good technical solution too, but we won’t limit ourselves to that. Of course, other companies have interesting solutions. We’re starting to look closely at open source alternatives. In addition to the large proprietary providers such as OpenAI, Microsoft or Google, we need to understand the open source alternatives.

I also believe we shouldn’t think of AI as an engine that stands somewhere unto itself. It needs to be deeply woven into our systems and processes. That’s why we require all our system partners to use AI elements in their environments. It must find its way into the entire system landscape, and it will.
Hi FMF,

I was in the auto repair industry for a while. If you look at new car prices vs what it would cost to build a car from spare parts you will see the monster mark up that car companies make compared to initial sales. The vehicle you buy just gets you on the hook for credit, maintenance & parts.

We are moving to a world of EV cars (less moving parts, less maintenance), that just leaves credit. Add to that, less accidents from AI driving solutions and car companies have a big problem.

Mercedes seem to be ahead of the curve here in offering the vehicles as software as a service. Gives me the screaming you know whats but that is where we seem to be heading.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users

Ian

Founding Member
What I found a tad embarrassing about Sean’s presentation, though, was the fact that the CEO of Brainchip doesn’t know how to correctly pronounce the name of Intel’s neuromorphic research chip Loihi:

View attachment 44421

Has no one ever pointed that out to him? 🤔

Sean can in fact count himself lucky that Intel did not decide to rename its neuromorphic chip when the eponymous Hawaiian seamount Lōʻihi was officially renamed two years ago: 😂

View attachment 44422
I understand that investors want to hear from the CEO from time to time but Sean should concentrate on his strengths and leave these presentations to Nandan.

Nandan comes a cross as extremely confident and charismatic and this is probably assisted by his experience and education in both marketing and computer science.

Please don't take it the wrong way as I am a massive fan of Sean's and the direction he is steering our company but individuals should know their strengths and weaknesses and play to them.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 23 users

FJ-215

Regular
AND,

while I'm at it.

Our next announcement will be a call on LDA

Hopefully the BoD will get this one right and have a host of market moving news to kick us up to where we belong.

Time will tell,

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Frangipani

Regular
For me, I find Sean's scripted presentations hard to watch but he really does shine in a Q&A format. Best part of the Oppenheimer vid was the Q&A section and he barely puts a foot wrong with Noah (agree, genius).

Oh, I totally agree. As I’ve said before, Sean obviously pales in comparison to charismatic CEOs such as the late Steve Jobs or NVIDIA’s Jensen Huang when presenting - as I see it, he is not a natural born orator, but was most likely appointed CEO of Brainchip mainly thanks to his presumably excellent network of connections within Silicon Valley and his previous achievements. So my judgement of him “faring really well” was not meant to be absolute, but rather relative, compared to previous public appearances I watched online.
I personally much prefer Nandan Nayampally’s presenting style, who always comes across as extremely knowledgeable, is quietly oozing confidence without having to resort to superlatives and is excellent in presenting without a script.

One more thing that I noticed during the Oppenheimer presentation - Sean specifically listed Korea as one of the regions Brainchip is engaged in:

“When I joined, we were only focussed in the US, we now have sales footprint in Japan, Korea, Israel, Europe…” (from 37:43 min)

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 32 users

Frangipani

Regular
I understand that investors want to hear from the CEO from time to time but Sean should concentrate on his strengths and leave these presentations to Nandan.

Nandan comes a cross as extremely confident and charismatic and this is probably assisted by his experience and education in both marketing and computer science.

Please don't take it the wrong way as I am a massive fan of Sean's and the direction he is steering our company but individuals should know their strengths and weaknesses and play to them.

I couldn’t have said it better!

Reactions: 6 users

FJ-215

Regular
Oh, I totally agree. As I’ve said before, Sean obviously pales in comparison to charismatic CEOs such as the late Steve Jobs or NVIDIA’s Jensen Huang when presenting - as I see it, he is not a natural born orator, but was most likely appointed CEO of Brainchip mainly thanks to his presumably excellent network of connections within Silicon Valley and his previous achievements. So my judgement of him “faring really well” was not meant to be absolute, but rather relative, compared to previous public appearances I watched online.
I personally much prefer Nandan Nayampally’s presenting style, who always comes across as extremely knowledgeable, is quietly oozing confidence without having to resort to superlatives and is excellent in presenting without a script.

One more thing that I noticed during the Oppenheimer presentation - Sean specifically listed Korea as one of the regions Brainchip is engaged in:

“When I joined, we were only focussed in the US, we now have sales footprint in Japan, Korea, Israel, Europe…” (from 37:43 min)
Hi Fran,

Think we are mostly on the same page but think long term investors and Lou DiNardo would disagree with last sentence. Korea would maybe be the only new player for me. All the rest were done on LDN's watch.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Top Bottom