BRN Discussion Ongoing

TechGirl

Founding Member
Hi @wilzy

The following indicates that whatever TDK are using it is not AKIDA and it is far from as advanced in fact it is primitive in comparison:

“We also plan to further mature the embedded edge AI to enable it to continuously learn the situation at the point of installation and make autonomous decisions, thereby evolving the module to be able to support the types of advanced decision-making required at the forefront of integration.”

They are planning to have a plan without a timeframe.

They are silent on battery life. They also say they are in the throws of improving the battery which is a strange thing to say as you release a product.

I think we should hold close what the CEO Sean Hehir said at the AGM about claims being made that do not come near the AKIDA science fiction.

As you know it was Edge Impulse who used Science Fiction to describe AKIDA technology not Sean Hehir but I just like saying it because it is well ‘SCIENCE FICTION.’

Anyway that’s the last time I will use Science Fiction to describe AKIDA technology until the next time I use it.

Did I mention how being Science Fiction makes the Patents stronger and easier to defend.

You just have to love being SCIENCE FICTION.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

Hilary Duff Lol GIF by YoungerTV
Kisses GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Fire
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I have a lot to do today up at the lake house so this will probably be last post but I truly recommend you open this link and read what product is being offered as a direct competitor to Brainchip and Nviso for in cabin monitoring of driver fatigue and attention then at the end of the article click on the link to obtain price comparisons for this product. While reading the prices keep firmly in mind that AKIDA1.0 costs $25.00 Australian and Nviso is simply software so pricing is clearly very flexible for volume sales.

Then ask yourself why would they bother???😂🤣😎🤡😂🤣🪁🪁🪁🪁🪁🪁🪁🪁🪁🪁🪁🪁🪁🪁

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

As Molly would have said ‘Do yourself a favour.’ and open this link and the price comparison.

• Fire
  • Wow
Reactions: 28 users

VictorG

Wow, with their prices up in the $20k range. I would be shorting their stock.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Diogenese

Top 20
I’m going to mess up your math FF. Akida1.0 has 80 nodes and each node has 4 NPUs. Everywhere you refer to the number of NPUs can be multiplied by 4 😎
Hi jtardif999,

The Akida 1000 SoC has 20 nodes, each node has 4 NPUs, but this is somewhat academic, as we no longer make the SoC. The Akida IP can be implemented in 2 nodes, up to 256 nodes.

Products - BrainChip
https://brainchip.com/products/
Download the Akida 1.0 product brief:

Scale down to 2 nodes (@ 1Ghz = 1 TOPS) for ultra low power or scale up to 256 nodes (@ 1Ghz = 131 TOPS) for complex use cases.
Every node consists of four Neural Processing Units (NPUs), each with scalable and configurable SRAM. Within each node, the NPUs can be configured as either convolutional or fully connected. The Akida neural processor is event based – leveraging data sparsity, activations, and weights to reduce the number of operations by at least 2X.

1673053735863.png

1673053879572.png

Note that the web page from which the product brief can be downloaded contains an inconsistent use of the word "node" in that it suggests that 1024 nodes are possible, whereas the Product brief makes it clear that 256 nodes is the maximum:

"Infer and learn at the edge with Akida’s fully customizable event-based AI neural processor. Akida’s scalable architecture and small footprint boosts efficiency by orders of magnitude – supporting up to 1024 nodes that connect over a mesh network."

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 35 users

Xhosa12345

Regular
Enough with the Science Fiction, we need more cowbells

images.jpeg-74.jpg

Nup, more sci fi, this is where the big bucks are....!!

Although money is not really a thing in the federation... but ill be happy with some bars of gold pressed latinum !

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Boab

I wish I could paint like Vincent
Wow, with their prices up in the $20k range. I would be shorting their stock.
Am I reading it wrong. Each Unit costs around $7-10 with 2500 units around $20,000??

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

VictorG

Am I reading it wrong. Each Unit costs around $7-10 with 2500 units around $20,000??
No, i read it wrong. I suck at being a shorter.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

TasTroy77

Founding Member
Those who harness the beast best…win !

In the final paragraph above, I suggest that it’s no longer Akida, or if you’re using it that must remain a secret. Like the colt from Old Regret, Akida has got away. It hasn’t just escaped…it’s bolted into the marketplace. If anyone either directly or indirectly associated with the tech world still hasn’t heard of it by now, they must be living under a rock.

The secret that must now be kept under absolute wraps until your product at least hits the market, is how you’re applying the science fiction that is Akida.

It’s no longer a question of if you’re using it…but how.

This is why companies at CES are only talking in big picture language, devoid of any details or specifics about how they are gunna achieve what they’re talking about. Even Mercedes realise, that to reveal anymore than what they said last year, is giving their competitors too much of a heads-up on what they’re doing.

Everybody will eventually use Akida in some way or another. Those first to market will certainly gain an advantage, but it’s those who apply it’s ‘secret sauce’ in the most innovative, imaginative, ingenious, inventive way, who’ll be the big winners over their competitors.

’If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds of brilliance…
yours is the earth and everything in it’...Rudyard Kipling.
Does this mean that at the end of this year @Realinfo that you won't have to shout us lunch at "The Briars " 1🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
No you are reading it correctly across all the distributors average cost is around $US8.00.

Nviso was running multiple Apps doing lots of in cabin monitoring of all passengers and using only 5% of AKIDA 1.0 capacity.

On this basis just driver fatigue and distraction would be easily run on a couple of nodes which is 8 NPEs so a car company could pick up AKIDA IP and Nviso for less than $1.50 possibly $1.00.

Eight times less costly but with the additional opportunity to upgrade in the various makers models right up through Nviso’s 20 or 24 Apps which include medical health monitoring as well as passenger monitoring etc;

Brainchip AKIDA is killer Science Fiction.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 45 users

Boab

I wish I could paint like Vincent
No you are reading it correctly across all the distributors average cost is around $US8.00.

Nviso was running multiple Apps doing lots of in cabin monitoring of all passengers and using only 5% of AKIDA 1.0 capacity.

On this basis just driver fatigue and distraction would be easily run on a couple of nodes which is 8 NPEs so a car company could pick up AKIDA IP and Nviso for less than $1.50 possibly $1.00.

Eight times less costly but with the additional opportunity to upgrade in the various makers models right up through Nviso’s 20 or 24 Apps which include medical health monitoring as well as passenger monitoring etc;

Brainchip AKIDA is killer Science Fiction.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Many thanks for the explanation.
I have to remember Akida can do many things at the same time.
Cheers

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Glen

Regular
Not necessarily direct competition, since I cannot vouch for the capability of the thing doing the AI in that device... merely shared, because it does sound like something Akida is particularly good at.
I did some research and Renasas is supplying chips to Syntiant

• Thinking
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

Gazzafish

Regular
Imagine if BRN all of a sudden released its 4c now rather than late January and it contained good revenue. Shorters would get destroyed. 😆

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 22 users

Getupthere

Regular

Perceive AI Launches 2nd Edge AI Chip For Low Power Applications

Company claims Ergo2 is up to four times faster than Perceive’s first-generation Ergo chip, and can handle much larger models such as NLP.

Edge AI is coming into its own, with a variety of chips being launched that offer low cost, low power, and high performance. While training AI models gets most of the attention in the media, Inference processing will end up getting most of the revenue, especially at the edge. Global Market Insights, a respected market intelligence firm, projects that the market for Edge AI will top $5B in 2023, with a 20% CAGR through the next decade. While our gut feel is that $5B is too high, we feel the 20% growth forecast is far too low.

At any rate, the market is attracting many contenders, including Perceive, which was spun out of Xperi Corporation in 2018 to concentrate on this opportunity, and now already has its second product ready for market.

What did Perceive Announce?

The company is not replacing its Ergo product, but rather is adding a higher performance and more capable chip for demanding edge applications. As the table below shows, the new device delivers a big boost in image classification, and consumes less than 20 mW. Thats Milliwatts, or 1/1000 of a watt. We know of no competitor who can claim that, and still deliver about 1000 inferences per second.

There are many companies readying or shipping chips for Edge AI, including SiMa.ai, Hailo Technologies, AlphaICs, Recogni, EdgeCortix, Flex Logix, Roviero, BrainChip, Syntiant, Untether AI, Expedera, Deep AI, Andes, Plumerai, in addition to Intel, AMD (Xilinx) and of course NVIDIA. Some, like NVIDIA and SiMa.ai are heading down the SoC route, where the chip offers a more complete solution including Arm or RISC-V CPU cores and I/O.

In contrast, Perceive (and others such as Hailo) has focussed on customers who are looking for an AI accelerator that attaches to an SoC for a specific application. Interestingly, the Ergo chip does not require external DRAM, although it supports connectivity to a NOR Flash to contain the weights for larger models. This can be a cost advantage for applications such as speech-to-text , audio applications, and video processing tasks like video super resolution and pose detection. Compared to existing products such as the Hailo-8 accelerator at 2-4 watts, the Ergo is targeting lower power (tens of milliwatts vs 2-4 watts for Hailo-8) albeit with lower performance.

Conclusions

As we’ve always said, the edge market is far easier to penetrate than training in the data center because different applications have dramatically different requirements. While an image processor for autonomous vehicles requires higher performance at higher power levels, a smart camera or an embedded speech to text processor demands a lower power envelope, and a lower cost. And many auto makers will prefer an SoC like NVIDIA Drive instead of designing their own SoC; Tesla is an exception to the rule.

Consequently, there is plenty of room for specific low-power processors such as Perceive, and the company is smart to quickly extend their first foray with a faster sub-watt processor. The software will be key to their success, enabling larger models to run efficiently on the new Ergo2.

We would note that there are many more competitors entering this market, so check back soon to stay up to date!

C-Suite News, Analysis And Advice For Top Decisionmakers

• Thinking
  • Sad
Reactions: 10 users

Foxdog

Regular
Imagine if BRN all of a sudden released its 4c now rather than late January and it contained good revenue. Shorters would get destroyed. 😆
Can't wait for Sean Hehir's next CEO address at the AGM 👌

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 14 users

Foxdog

Regular
CES seems to be more subdued than I was expecting - 2 more days to go? Hopefully a Merc moment pending, perhaps tonight 🤔

• Thinking
  • Fire
Reactions: 11 users
We can and should look also at our profit margin on OUR Companies IP Product….It’s 98 percent!! How many other companies can say that about their Product/s ?? Vlad.

Can't wait for Sean Hehir's next CEO address at the AGM 👌
I can't either the CEO Made a statement, and I want to see if his backed up his words, no excuses if you put your head on the block pls make sure your right

Reactions: 2 users

Dhm

Regular

Company claims Ergo2 is up to four times faster than Perceive’s first-generation Ergo chip, and can handle much larger models such as NLP.

Edge AI is coming into its own, with a variety of chips being launched that offer low cost, low power, and high performance. While training AI models gets most of the attention in the media, Inference processing will end up getting most of the revenue, especially at the edge. Global Market Insights, a respected market intelligence firm, projects that the market for Edge AI will top $5B in 2023, with a 20% CAGR through the next decade. While our gut feel is that $5B is too high, we feel the 20% growth forecast is far too low.

At any rate, the market is attracting many contenders, including Perceive, which was spun out of Xperi Corporation in 2018 to concentrate on this opportunity, and now already has its second product ready for market.

The company is not replacing its Ergo product, but rather is adding a higher performance and more capable chip for demanding edge applications. As the table below shows, the new device delivers a big boost in image classification, and consumes less than 20 mW. Thats Milliwatts, or 1/1000 of a watt. We know of no competitor who can claim that, and still deliver about 1000 inferences per second.

There are many companies readying or shipping chips for Edge AI, including SiMa.ai, Hailo Technologies, AlphaICs, Recogni, EdgeCortix, Flex Logix, Roviero, BrainChip, Syntiant, Untether AI, Expedera, Deep AI, Andes, Plumerai, in addition to Intel, AMD (Xilinx) and of course NVIDIA. Some, like NVIDIA and SiMa.ai are heading down the SoC route, where the chip offers a more complete solution including Arm or RISC-V CPU cores and I/O.

In contrast, Perceive (and others such as Hailo) has focussed on customers who are looking for an AI accelerator that attaches to an SoC for a specific application. Interestingly, the Ergo chip does not require external DRAM, although it supports connectivity to a NOR Flash to contain the weights for larger models. This can be a cost advantage for applications such as speech-to-text , audio applications, and video processing tasks like video super resolution and pose detection. Compared to existing products such as the Hailo-8 accelerator at 2-4 watts, the Ergo is targeting lower power (tens of milliwatts vs 2-4 watts for Hailo-8) albeit with lower performance.

Conclusions

As we’ve always said, the edge market is far easier to penetrate than training in the data center because different applications have dramatically different requirements. While an image processor for autonomous vehicles requires higher performance at higher power levels, a smart camera or an embedded speech to text processor demands a lower power envelope, and a lower cost. And many auto makers will prefer an SoC like NVIDIA Drive instead of designing their own SoC; Tesla is an exception to the rule.

Consequently, there is plenty of room for specific low-power processors such as Perceive, and the company is smart to quickly extend their first foray with a faster sub-watt processor. The software will be key to their success, enabling larger models to run efficiently on the new Ergo2.

We would note that there are many more competitors entering this market, so check back soon to stay up to date!

It is articles like this one that hide Brainchip behind a veil of perceived mediocracy. A whole heap of 'competitors' in edge ai inference make a reader believe that the edge market is populated with like or similar products. It doesn't, for example, say that Intel pushed its own product aside to embrace Akida. I would love it for someone with the skill set to do a table of competitors to compare just who is the undisputed leader in this edge field.
I wish I did have such a skillset.

This list of other edge inhabitants contains names I have never heard of. Can those with greater knowledge name which of these names that are pretenders, also those that are coming close, and those that are legitimate competition?
SiMa.ai, Hailo Technologies, AlphaICs, Recogni, EdgeCortix, Flex Logix, Roviero, Syntiant, Untether AI, Expedera, Deep AI, Andes, Plumerai, in addition to Intel, AMD (Xilinx)

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 21 users

TopCat

Regular

Conclusions

“and consumes less than 20 mW. Thats Milliwatts, or 1/1000 of a watt. We know of no competitor who can claim that, and still deliver about 1000 inferences per second.”

They can’t be too well informed

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 23 users

TopCat

Regular
It is articles like this one that hide Brainchip behind a veil of perceived mediocracy. A whole heap of 'competitors' in edge ai inference make a reader believe that the edge market is populated with like or similar products. It doesn't, for example, say that Intel pushed its own product aside to embrace Akida. I would love it for someone with the skill set to do a table of competitors to compare just who is the undisputed leader in this edge field.

This list of other edge inhabitants contains names I have never heard of. Can those with greater knowledge name which of these names that are pretenders, also those that are coming close, and those that are legitimate competition?
SiMa.ai, Hailo Technologies, AlphaICs, Recogni, EdgeCortix, Flex Logix, Roviero, Syntiant, Untether AI, Expedera, Deep AI, Andes, Plumerai, in addition to Intel, AMD (Xilinx)
Was recently reading about Hailo 8. Uses 2 to 4 watts and they call that low power 🥴

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 14 users

VictorG

The article is written by Cambrian Ai Research. They are similar to fools but in tuxedos.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
Top Bottom