BRN Discussion Ongoing

Getupthere

Regular

New EV battery technology to see drivers go 1000km on a 10-minute charge

Driving from Sydney to Melbourne on a single charge is on the horizon for Australia’s EV drivers after reports Hyundai and Kia may have inked a deal with the world’s largest battery company to see up to 140,000 EVs get a whopping 1000-kilometre range.

It comes after Hyundai Motor Group chairman Chung Eui-sun recently met with Contemporary Amperex Technology Limited (CATL) CEO Zeng Yuquan in South Korea, according to reports in Chosun Biz. The automotive multinational has used battery technology from the tech titan since 2021.

It’s thought the pair discussed CATL’s latest offering, a third-generation cell-to-pack (CTP) battery technology called Qilin that offers EV drivers up to 1000km of range after a 10-minute charge — something that would spell the end to regional and rural concerns in Australia regarding scant charging stations.

Who’s already using the 1000km battery?

The Qilin battery was first snapped up by Chinese car titan Geely in a five-year deal, which is boasting its futuristic Zeekr 009 people mover will actually offer “in excess of” 1000km. Geely registered an Australian trademark for the name last December, though there’s no word of a local launch date yet. The Australian price guide is $127,000, Zeekr says.

It’s a race to the top for car manufacturers when it comes to EVs going the distance. Chinese electric vehicle startups Li Auto and Hozon New Energy Automobile have also signed a deal for the 1000km battery, while the GAC Aion LX Plus SUV went on sale in China earlier this year with a 1008km driving range.

Toyota accused of spreading EV disinformation to profit from fossil-fuelled hybrids

Hyundai’s Porter EV, Kia Niro EV and Bongo EV will reportedly be among the first of its models to be fitted with the high-tech battery, with the supercharged lineup to hit the European and Korean markets first before being released in other regions, including Australia.

More locally, Hyundai is already spruiking its Ioniq 6’s 614-kilometre driving range, which will hit Australian shores in early 2023. That brings the Ioniq in line with Tesla 3’s driving range (602km), Tesla Model S (652km) and BMW iX (630km), all available in Australia right now.

How does the Qilin battery work?

CATL says the Qilin battery has a “volume utilisation efficiency” of 72%, compared to 59% in Tesla’s cylindrical 4680 batteries (BMW uses this shape too), with an energy density of up to 255 Wh/kg — making it “the highest integration level worldwide so far”, according to CATL.

The Qilin battery — which is named after a mythological Chinese creature — takes just 10 minutes to charge, according to CATL, with a hot start in five minutes flat thanks to a liquid cooling process that promotes heat transfer and slashes thermal control time in half.

CATL, the world’s largest battery manufacturer, is also known as the most competitively priced against fellow heavy-hitters LG Energy Solutions, SK On, and Samsung SDI. CATL already supplies batteries to Tesla as well as Ford and BMW — meaning the Qilin could become the industry’s go-to battery before long.

How far can EVs drive on a single charge?

In the month of November, EVs made up 4.7% of all cars sold in Australia, according to sales figures from industry group FCAI.

Here are the top five most popular EVs in Oz and how far they can travel on a single charge.

Tesla Model Y = up to 514km

BYD 845 Atto 3 = up to 420km

Tesla Model 3 sedan = up to 602km

MG ZS EV = up to 320km

Volvo c40 Recharge = up to 434km

Reactions: 8 users

AusEire

Founding Member. It's ok to say No to Dot Joining
I'm not basing anything on these yahoos I'm just stating that Linkdn has been pushed up possibly by shorters.

They have there adjenda not. This does not sway my direction but just highlighting.

First time I have seen this on that platform.

Good days to buy when there is blood in the streets in my opinion.
When you see faceless profiles like that in LinkedIn you must ask yourself why. These are NOT legitimate profiles. And if you look at their profiles they only comment on Brainchip and only post negative sentiment.

They are best ignored.

• Fire
Reactions: 13 users

wilzy123

Founding Member

alwaysgreen

Top 20
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users

cassip

Regular
Thank
😀
Thank you @Stable Genius,
just asked myself if there is or of what sort a possible connection there could be with their ai-function and BRNs.
Regards
cassip

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Fmf,

Following on from the link you posted, a little belated hindsight in the light of the Mercedes announcement 4 months later ( https://brainchip.com/mercedes-benz-vision-eqxx-concept/ ):

Akida spiking neural processor could head to FDSOI​

Technology News | August 2, 2021
By Peter Clarke
One of the application areas of interest is automotive where Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML) to train an increasing number of sensors, components, image and video processors in each vehicle. Autonomous vehicles and near-autonomous vehicles are predicted to generate between 12 and 15 terabytes of data for every two hours of driving.

Latency, power consumption and privacy are the key reasons not to send this data to the cloud for processing.

One advantage of spiking neural network architectures is the ability to perform real-time incremental learning, sometimes called one-shot learning, within a fraction of a second. The ability to add voice commands, accept individuals as drivers by facial recognition and to flag events as significant or not in sensors is improved when using Akida, said BrainChip executives. “We are being benchmarked against deep learning accelerators and a GPU vendor and it is coming back favourably to u
s.”

Note the present tense (August 22021) "We are being benchmarked ... ", ie, the benchmarking was going on in August 2021. Five months later we got the Mercedes announcement.

We know about the use of Akida for voice commands in Mercedes.

We also know that Mercedes compared (benchmarked) Akida favourably with other voice recognition systems, providing 5 to 10 times better power efficiency than deep learning accelerators and a GPU vendor (Nvidia?).

We have speculated about other applications of Akida in Mercedes, so if we take a lead from the above-cited abstract, can we infer that facial recognition and significant event detection are included in EQXX, EQS, ... ?

... and don't mention Valeo ...

Now I wonder if the Sony/Prophesee deblurring camera could be useful in ADAS ...
Hi @Diogenese

I had thought that the benchmarking against GPUs and accelerators may have been carried out by Edge Impulse or MegaChips but your argument pointing to Mercedes Benz makes greater sense. We know Mercedes Benz had been working with Intel early 2021 and of course Nvidia and also Qualcomm so plenty of GPUs and accelerators available for testing/benchmarking against AKIDA.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 16 users

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)
something from Mercedes again:

Keeping a safe following distance, maintaining a certain speed or lane, and warning of possible side collisions or crossing pedestrians – our driving assistance systems can help you master a wide variety of situations.

As an Active Safety Engineer, Katharina Kupferschmid works on the development of all these intelligent systems. In doing so, it is important for her to understand how accidents occur and what protective systems could have prevented them. In this way, the analysis of real traffic accidents forms the basis for developing innovative #safety technologies and ever more efficient systems.

Because of dedicated employees like Katharina, #MercedesBenz earned a name for itself as a safety pioneer − a reputation it still enjoys today and will retain in the future!

Which driver assistance system would you never want to go without again?

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

Proga

Regular
Hi Fmf,

Following on from the link you posted, a little belated hindsight in the light of the Mercedes announcement 4 months later ( https://brainchip.com/mercedes-benz-vision-eqxx-concept/ ):

Akida spiking neural processor could head to FDSOI​

Technology News | August 2, 2021
By Peter Clarke
One of the application areas of interest is automotive where Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML) to train an increasing number of sensors, components, image and video processors in each vehicle. Autonomous vehicles and near-autonomous vehicles are predicted to generate between 12 and 15 terabytes of data for every two hours of driving.

Latency, power consumption and privacy are the key reasons not to send this data to the cloud for processing.

One advantage of spiking neural network architectures is the ability to perform real-time incremental learning, sometimes called one-shot learning, within a fraction of a second. The ability to add voice commands, accept individuals as drivers by facial recognition and to flag events as significant or not in sensors is improved when using Akida, said BrainChip executives. “We are being benchmarked against deep learning accelerators and a GPU vendor and it is coming back favourably to u
s.”

Note the present tense (August 22021) "We are being benchmarked ... ", ie, the benchmarking was going on in August 2021. Five months later we got the Mercedes announcement.

We know about the use of Akida for voice commands in Mercedes.

We also know that Mercedes compared (benchmarked) Akida favourably with other voice recognition systems, providing 5 to 10 times better power efficiency than deep learning accelerators and a GPU vendor (Nvidia?).

We have speculated about other applications of Akida in Mercedes, so if we take a lead from the above-cited abstract, can we infer that facial recognition and significant event detection are included in EQXX, EQS, ... ?

... and don't mention Valeo ...

Now I wonder if the Sony/Prophesee deblurring camera could be useful in ADAS ...
In the Edge Impulse presentation, they start presenting about Brainchip at the 25.30 minute mark and say the same thing Dio. Akida is being compared to GPU's and outperforming them. They put up a comparison chart if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)

Tesla says it is adding radar in its cars next month amid self-driving suite concerns​

Tesla told the FCC that it plans to market a new radar starting next month. The move raises even more concerns about potentially needed updates to its hardware suite to achieve the promised self-driving capability.

Since 2016, Tesla has claimed that all its vehicles produced going forward have “all the needed hardware” to become self-driving with future software updates.

It turned out not to be true.
... bla bla bla

That’s why it was surprising earlier this year when we reported on Tesla filing with the FCC to use a new radar in its vehicles. The FCC had granted a confidential treatment to Tesla in order not to release the details of the new radar.

Those confidential treatments are generally good for six months, and it was coming up tomorrow, but Tesla has filed an extension:

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users

White Horse

Regular
My final thought on the podcast became clear when she was given the opportunity to promote the EE Times conference and then it became clear to me as her effect stood in stark contrast to her articles when she has written about Brainchip.

What she was doing in a rather clumsy fashion was playing to the sensitivities of the conference participants by appearing to be independent of Brainchip.

She and EE Times are like all organisers of these conferences chasing advertising and sponsorship dollars.

I think Rob Telson was aware of what she was doing and this is why he fed us the nugget about Transformers and what his gut was telling him. Rob Telson knows AKIDA 2.0 with Transformers and LSTM is close to being revealed and he wanted to give a heads up to his loyal listeners and shareholders.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

Reminds me of one of those introspective songs from the golden years.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
Not sure what to say about Sally, other than I expected more enthusiasm for Neuromorphic tech. I guess she got her plug and is happy about that.
Agreed Funky. I found the podcast very underwhelming unfortunately. i thought it was confusing because Sally wasn’t enthusiastic at all, even going so far as to suggest that analogue is more power efficient. Sorry to say this but I found it very disappointing.

• Haha
Reactions: 28 users

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)
Rene Haas
Rene Haas• 1.Chief Executive Officer, Arm17 Min.

An amazing day in Arizona attending the ceremony around the first tool-in for the new TSMC fab. This facility will be producing some of the most advanced chips in the industry on leading edge nodes creating jobs for scores of people in the Phoenix area. This could not be done without the amazing work of our incredible ecosystem as a who's who attended the event, led by President Biden and other tech luminaries. (including Synopsys own Deirdre Hanford and our Drew Henry!)

Cannot wait to see the first products roll off the production line in a year of so, the first ones most certainly #onarm!
1670426237461.png

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 22 users

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)
PROPHESEE, a company specializing in industrial vision, has just made the headlines with a fundraising of €50 million. Prophesee is the inventor of the world's most advanced neuromorphic vision systems and is now "Europe's best-funded fabless semiconductor startup".
We met its co-founder and CEO, Luca Verre, Lyon Centralien from the class of 2005.

November 04, 2022
Meeting with Luca Verre (ECL 2005), Co-founder and CEO of Prophesee
The career of a very international Centralian
Published by Luca VERRE (ECL 2005) and François RAMAGET (ECL 1979) | Entrepreneur Centralians

PROPHESEE, a company specializing in industrial vision, has just made the headlines with a fundraising of €50 million. Prophesee is the inventor of the world's most advanced neuromorphic vision systems and is now "Europe's best-funded fabless semiconductor startup".
We met its co-founder and CEO, Luca Verre, Lyon Centralien from the class of 2005.

Can you summarize your academic background for us?

I am Italian by origin and in 2005 I obtained a double degree: Master of Science in physics, electronics and industrial engineering from the Politecnico di Milano - and an engineering degree from the Ecole Centrale de Lyon, with a specialization in electronics . After starting my career in industry, I completed this course in 2013-2014 with an MBA from INSEAD.

What memories do you have of your studies at the École Centrale de Lyon?

I'm keeping a very good memory of it. First, because the classes were much smaller than at the Politecnico in Milan, which now has more than 35,000 students. And I appreciated the generalist approach of the School with courses in economics or mechanical engineering for example, which opened me up to other specialities. I remember very well that mechanics class where we were asked to disassemble and reassemble an engine, an exercise far removed from electronics... And then the extraordinary social life on campus, those Thursday evenings when I was the cook on my floor! And enriching exchanges with foreign students, from China, Brazil or elsewhere. These are experiences of openness to professions and cultures that have served me throughout the rest of my career.

What positions did you hold before creating Prophesee in 2014?

I first worked at Schneider Electric, in Sophia Antipolis, then in Japan where I spent 4 years in marketing positions. This position in Japan, I owe it in part to the ECL - because the School had allowed me to take Japanese lessons with a high quality teacher, Ms. Shimamori, author of reference books. And it was in Japan that I completed my 2nd year internship. After the Far East, I returned to Europe, to Germany first to take care of business development and then to Paris. In 2013, I decided to take a sabbatical year to take courses at INSEAD and it was there that I met my future partner, Director of Research at the Institut de la Vision.

What were the company's goals when it was founded?

We established the company in February 2014 to design an artificial model of the biological retina and thereby advance retinal implant technology. We made a first fundraising in order to develop innovative neuromorphic sensors, which are based on capturing changes in the image - rather than on acquiring the entire image. This is what we call Event-Based Vision systems for our vision systems.

How did Prophesee develop?

We started with collaborations with medical companies like Pixium Vision or GenSight Biologics to pursue our initial ambition to restore vision to the visually impaired. But we quickly perceived the potential of our solutions in other areas: Firstly, industry where our technology supports measurement, counting or inspection applications in sectors such as agri-food, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing , etc. But also the autonomous car for driving assistance systems – and mobile telephony where our solutions must make it possible to improve the shots of conventional sensors for moving subjects (“motion blur”). Finally, virtual reality and augmented reality where our products are used for eye tracking. With Prophesee, we have raised more than €100m to date and we have just welcomed Xiaomi among our investors. We are very confident in the prospects of the company, experts in metavision for machines.

What advice would you give to a young engineer today?

Technologies are constantly evolving and you have to be attentive. The autonomous car or the metaverse are areas that will experience exciting developments. The situation has changed a lot since the days when junior engineers dreamed of joining a large group. For young engineers, they need to be open to risks. Start-ups can offer them great opportunities. Responsibility is taken on more quickly and these young companies integrate criteria of impact on daily life. These are essential elements to take into account to guide your career.

• Love
  • Fire

Diogenese

Top 20
Podcast out

I don't agree with the criticism of the SW-F podcast.

One bit which seems to have drawn a lot of angst starts just before 13 minutes, and my Pitmans is non-existent, but this is the gist:

"There is a debate about how close should we copy the brain – limits of Silicon

Should we directly copy what happens in the brain?

I think there are several companies including Brainchip that are making a good go of it

Products that work and advantages to be had by using spiking architecture

Not everyone is as far along as Brainchip there are a few other in spiking space

Different architectures ASIC? Like BrainChip or Analog even more power can be saved if you can do it that way. Some of these are unanswered questions.

Training challenges to be ironed out

Event based processors
..."

This seems like a fair summation to me. Analog can be more power efficient because they only need a couple of components for a synapse. However the tech has other problems such as repeatability of manufacture which causes variations in spike amplitude (not a problem with digital), the need for ADC (analog-to-digital converter) and possibly DAC, and analog lacks the versatility of Akida.

Another angst-generating bit was the reference to "niche" when discussing the edge which S W-F characterized as a spectrum and fragmented.

Sally was responding to Rod's lead-in:
"Let’s talk about what you believe to be some of the key drivers in this space (the edge) and some of the problems you see as needing to be addressed over the net few years", so Sally's remarks need to be considered in this context.

This podcast is a conversation and Rod Telson said "You're spot on there .. very few are flexible enough to handle voice, vision .. " Rod asked Sally to discuss the key drivers and problems to be overcome. He did not ask her to endorse Akida.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 50 users

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)
I think it's nice to hear from him today, it's good! I love it !!!😘🥰
Edge Impulse

Edge Impulse29.113 Follower:innen42 Min. •

Hear what makes BrainChip excited about teaming up with us to build out an ecosystem of ML solutions and deliver value to customers via the company's neuromorphic technology and Edge Impulse tools.

cc: Rob Telson

AND on Twitter:

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 48 users

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)
like every day
1670429447767.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

TopCat

Regular
Hi to all,

in connection with DARPA in the following article a company named Big Bear ai is mentioned. Search function gave no result; has this been topic here, does anyone know this company?

Regards
cassip

Hi Cassip , I haven’t looked into Big Bear AI but I found a link between Redwire and Thales / European Space Agency

Rome, November 30, 2022 - Thales Alenia Space, joint venture between Thales (67%) and Leonardo (33%), and the European Space Agency (ESA) have signed a letter of intent to collaborate in supporting the creation of future disruptive space-based solutions in the Earth Observation domain.

Thales Alenia Space will cooperate with the ESA Φ-lab to explore innovative technologies based on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and their applications to use cases of significant interest to both entities.

Artificial Intelligence and new computing paradigms like neuromorphic, quantum, and edge computing, applied to both optical and radar Earth Observation data, are a strategic area of interest for both Φ-lab and Thales Alenia Space. Key topics of the collaboration include end-to-end learning for Synthetic-Aperture Radar (SAR) data, physically-based Artificial Intelligence to extract information from SAR data and enable object detection, recognition and classification, collective intelligence and federated learning at the edge, and the use of AI and Earth Observation in immersive-reality scenarios such as Augmented and Virtual reality for satellite and mission data management.

This contract award is incredibly exciting. The adaption of processes and tools to the space environment, many of which we take for granted on Earth, will be critical in many areas of our future. I am proud that our dedicated teams will be leading this study together with our valued partners AVS, Metalysis, Open University and Redwire Space Europe to solve the complex challenge of creating oxygen to sustain life on the lunar surface.

• Fire
  • Love

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)
Hallo an alle,

Im Zusammenhang mit DARPA wird im folgenden Artikel eine Firma namens Big Bear ai erwähnt. Suchfunktion ergab kein Ergebnis; war das Thema hier, kennt jemand diese Firma?

Grüße
kassieren

Info​

BigBear.ai delivers AI-powered analytics and cyber engineering solutions to support mission-critical operations and decision-making in complex, real-world environments. BigBear.ai’s customers, which include the US Intelligence Community, Department of Defense, the US Federal Government, as well as customers in manufacturing, healthcare, commercial space, and other sectors, rely on BigBear.ai’s solutions to see and shape their world through reliable, predictive insights and goal-oriented advice. Headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, BigBear.ai is a global, public company traded on the NYSE under the symbol BBAI. For more information, please visit: http://bigbear.ai/

have not found anything important for us

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Reactions: 14 users

alwaysgreen

Top 20
Agreed Funky. I found the podcast very underwhelming unfortunately. i thought it was confusing because Sally wasn’t enthusiastic at all, even going so far as to suggest that analogue is more power efficient. Sorry to say this but I found it very disappointing.
I agree. I was also disappointed by the choice of guest. How good were the early podcasts with the likes of Dell and Arm? Essentially, they were announcements that we were working with them in some capacity. In the case of ARM, it has been proven to be correct. The transformer Easter egg was nice, but a hint of a potential partnership is what I would like to see.

Reactions: 5 users
Top Bottom