BRN Discussion Ongoing

Agreed. As I stated at the brand relaunch, it appeared to be the most ‘heveanly simplistic and paired-down’ solution. Essentially, the brand is now so visually basic that it says nothing. The synapse said everything whilst competing with a very stylised font. Now, pair the synapse (our USP) with new font and you have a fully rounded and immediately identifiable ‘suite’ of brand elements to use across your entire marketing toolbox. The issue here is that by nailing your name and entire business to a font and hoping it will create visual remembrance is naive at best. Facebook can do that, Twitter and Instagram can do that, but they’re engrained in global psychology. Finally, if you’re going to rebrand with a standalone font, then choose one that will sing what you stand for from the rooftops… *see Palantir, see Sony, see Netflix, see other leading edge tech brands that have owned their rebrand process and not been swayed by thoughts of emulating the global leaders and a marketing agency that think they’ve hit gold.
*(But what do I know, I’ve only had thirty years of global branding experience… so far).
Maybe we should do a "bring back the synapse symbol" poll with as many of the 30 to 40000 odd shareholders, as possible and forward it to the Company?

Maybe BrainChip, could be "persuaded" to conduct the poll itself?

Company’s have done similar online polls in the past..

For example, to save "Louie the fly"..

I too, was disappointed to see the end of the synapse symbol's usage.

Marketing is everything and the poll could actually drum up a bit more exposure/interest for the Company, at least from an investing perspective?..

• Fire
Reactions: 7 users

Kachoo

Regular
Good evening all.

Just want to bring up a few names that I noticed looked at my linkdn profile this week me like BRN and Neuromorphic ha ha.

I had hits from,

Brink Climate Systems France

And John Deere

My boy loved John Deere everything when he was 2 to 5 lol.

Anyway I found that interesting particularly the French one.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Anyone come across these guys as yet?

No really comp as yet given another start up looking for funding it appears but believe commercial chip early 2023.

Below was from May and only posting cause of the neuromorphic side & comments on BRN popped up in the search.

How Rigpa is building chips inspired by our brains

About six years ago, it was very trendy to talk about how A.I. could soon match or surpass human intelligence. The old sci-fi trope made popular in films like The Terminator seemed close to reality and everyone was reading Nick Bostrom, as big names like Elon Musk talked up the almost limitless potential of A.I., and self-driving cars seemed just a few short years away from dominating our roads.

None of that has come to pass quite yet, but A.I. continues to make progress, finding its way into many aspects of our lives. Companies like Google, Microsoft, and Amazon harness it to make their own products smarter, and to empower third-party developers. It’s all useful stuff, but a time traveller from the wide-eyed days of 2016 might be a little disappointed.

That’s why it’s important to separate genuine advances from hype cycles. Away from the spotlight that shines on big tech company product launches, researchers and early-stage startups are working on technology that could form the next wave of A.I. and could bring us closer to artificial general intelligence (AGI), software that really does match human intelligence and adaptability.

Meet Rigpa

Rigpa is an Edinburgh-based startup that has been quietly working on A.I. technology inspired by how the human brain works; a field known as neuromorphic computing. “The brain itself is so powerful but consumes very little power… 20 watts, like a lightbulb,” says Rigpa founder Mike Huang. “By mimicking the biology of the brain we believe we can create A.I. that has lower power consumption and faster inference speed.”

Rigpa’s work is based on Huang's PhD research into neuromorphic computing for radioisotope identification, and Huang believes that beyond improved efficiency, the approach could even help A.I. self-learn and generate its own innovative ideas.

“The A.I. will not be the equivalent to a human being, but you hope that the machine itself can let people be liberated from repetitive work, so they can spend more of their time working on creative things, or do what they really want to”.

This will be a familiar idea if you follow the rhetoric around A.I. The idea of automation liberating humans from work will sound like a utopia to many, but the A.I. of today is a long way away from achieving that. Huang believes a radically different approach, like brain emulation, is required to get us there.

Huang envisions that Rigpa’s work will find its way into the A.I. processors of the future. Today, much A.I.-processing for tasks like machine learning is done using high-powered GPUs from companies like Nvidia. These are components often originally designed to help gamers get the best possible graphics, which by chance turned out to be good for A.I., too.

“It’s a coincidence that GPUs are good for A.I. because they’re good at parallel computing, but they're not efficient,” says Huang. And efficiency of A.I. is about much more than saving money. A.I.’s carbon footprint problem is a growing concern. One study in 2020 found training A.I. models can generate a carbon footprint five times greater than the lifetime of the average American car. Even the more generous findings of a Google-backed study in 2021 found that training the much-lauded GPT-3 natural language A.I. model used 1,287 megawatts, producing 552 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions.
https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch...e2e4-8c5f-4d82-854a-9b053ce40d19_800x800.jpeg
Huang comes to neuromorphic computing after a decade in chip design, including eight years at Broadcom. He began his PhD at the University of Edinburgh in 2019, conducting research funded by the US Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) and radiation detector company Kromek Group.

Huang is joined at Rigpa by co-founders Dr. Taihai Chen and Edward Jones. Chen, who previously co-founded University of Southampton spinout AccelerComm, is focused on building out Rigpa’s commercial strategy. Jones, a University of Manchester PhD candidate, collaborated with Huang on the research that forms the basis of Rigpa’s technology.

A.I.’s progression towards the human brain

Rigpa’s solution is far from the only show in town when it comes to more efficient A.I. hardware. Huang considers current state-of-the-art offerings like Google’s TPU to be part of a “second generation” of A.I. processor.

“With the second generation A.I. network, the artificial neural network is mature for the current market. We are working on the next generation, the third generation… which is more close to a biological neural network… it's low-power and fast inference but much less mature [as a technology],” says Huang.

One benefit of this fresh approach should be greater adaptability. While the TPU is great for working with datasets like images or text, new kinds of advanced sensors could require more human-like adaptability to make sense of their outputs, efficiently and at scale. What kinds of sensors? Huang gives the example of event cameras, which measure brightness on a pixel-by-pixel basis and could find use in fields like autonomous vehicles and robotics.

Rigpa has competition in the development of this third generation, most notably BrainChip, which was founded in 2006, IPO’ed in Australia in 2011, and recently launched what it describes as the first commercial neuromorphic A.I. chip. Big companies like IBM and Intel are also exploring the space. For example, Intel launched the Loihi 2 research chip last year. But Huang isn’t concerned about having much larger competition in an emerging space. He sees it as a new market ready for the capturing, just not quite yet….

Indeed, Huang speculates that perhaps BrainChip moved too quickly, too early. “There’s no real customer there yet.” he says. BrainChip’s financial results paint a picture that supports that view.

The route to market

Rigpa is taking time to explore the market and develop tools that fit real needs in the fields of defence and security, internet of things, drone and Lidar. While he declines to go into details about who the startup is working with, Huang says Rigpa has been engaged in an industrial partnership with Kromek Group, which serves the US Department of Defense, to develop brain-influenced A.I. for specific market needs.

Over the space of a three-year partnership, Rigpa has developed several prototype chips, the latest of which he says demonstrates at least 28x lower power and 23x faster speeds than the customer’s existing solution.

An edge chip, it is designed to provide A.I. computing at the location of sensors themselves, rather than sending data to the cloud. A good, relatable example of A.I. on the edge is how Google’s Tensor chip in the Pixel 6 Pro smartphone transcribed my conversation with Huang on-device, in real-time as we talked. BrainChip announced an edge computing-focused partnership last month.

A.I. is a competitive market, with plenty of big names and big money involved. But while the likes of Google and Intel have researched neuromorphic computing for years, Huang is right that the market for this type of A.I. just isn’t quite there yet. This provides an opportunity for the likes of Rigpa to develop new technology that either ends up being sought after by tech giants, or serves specific niche markets well. And of course, there’s always room for new giants to emerge as rivals to the likes of Google, Microsoft, with the right technology and the drive to market it well.

Rigpa is currently working on its commercial chip, which it plans to release in Q1 of 2023. Having been funded to date by the commercial backing for Huang’s PhD project, the startup is currently preparing its first equity round.
They are definitely in stealth mode..
Their website has nothing and I mean nothing...

Question is, do they have anything?..

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
They are definitely in stealth mode..
Their website has nothing and I mean nothing...

Question is, do they have anything?..
Yeah, apparently in seed mode at the mo so early days that side but say aiming commercial product early 23.

Haven't had chance to dig around any patent apps yet for co or the founders to see what their set up is.

Maybe just worth a watch how they go.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, apparently in seed mode at the mo so early days that side but say aiming commercial product early 23.

Haven't had chance to dig around any patent apps yet for co or the founders to see what their set up is.

Maybe just worth a watch how they go.
@Diogenese's the man for that 😉

Reactions: 3 users
4 and a half hours to go for the Mercedes reveal

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

MDhere

Regular
Reactions: 2 users

MDhere

Regular
(The report i was looking for from Megachips was really hard to find but i finally found it)
Megachips Corporation Briefing issued May 2022 specifically mentioning Brainchip and i particularly like the 2022 forecast page 19!
OK -----WARNING FOR ANYONE ATTEMPTING TO SLEEP----- SPOILER ALERT------
Opening statement-
We aim early COMMERCIALIZATION focusing on EDGE AI through collaboration with PARTNER Companies.
STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP WITH BRAINCHIP CHECK OUT GROWTH DIRECTION Launch of Business 2022 and "Mass production"
20221016_235153.jpg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 85 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Anyone come across these guys as yet?

No really comp as yet given another start up looking for funding it appears but believe commercial chip early 2023.

Below was from May and only posting cause of the neuromorphic side & comments on BRN popped up in the search.

How Rigpa is building chips inspired by our brains​

About six years ago, it was very trendy to talk about how A.I. could soon match or surpass human intelligence. The old sci-fi trope made popular in films like The Terminator seemed close to reality and everyone was reading Nick Bostrom, as big names like Elon Musk talked up the almost limitless potential of A.I., and self-driving cars seemed just a few short years away from dominating our roads.

None of that has come to pass quite yet, but A.I. continues to make progress, finding its way into many aspects of our lives. Companies like Google, Microsoft, and Amazon harness it to make their own products smarter, and to empower third-party developers. It’s all useful stuff, but a time traveller from the wide-eyed days of 2016 might be a little disappointed.

That’s why it’s important to separate genuine advances from hype cycles. Away from the spotlight that shines on big tech company product launches, researchers and early-stage startups are working on technology that could form the next wave of A.I. and could bring us closer to artificial general intelligence (AGI), software that really does match human intelligence and adaptability.

Meet Rigpa​

Rigpa is an Edinburgh-based startup that has been quietly working on A.I. technology inspired by how the human brain works; a field known as neuromorphic computing. “The brain itself is so powerful but consumes very little power… 20 watts, like a lightbulb,” says Rigpa founder Mike Huang. “By mimicking the biology of the brain we believe we can create A.I. that has lower power consumption and faster inference speed.”

Rigpa’s work is based on Huang's PhD research into neuromorphic computing for radioisotope identification, and Huang believes that beyond improved efficiency, the approach could even help A.I. self-learn and generate its own innovative ideas.

“The A.I. will not be the equivalent to a human being, but you hope that the machine itself can let people be liberated from repetitive work, so they can spend more of their time working on creative things, or do what they really want to”.

This will be a familiar idea if you follow the rhetoric around A.I. The idea of automation liberating humans from work will sound like a utopia to many, but the A.I. of today is a long way away from achieving that. Huang believes a radically different approach, like brain emulation, is required to get us there.

Huang envisions that Rigpa’s work will find its way into the A.I. processors of the future. Today, much A.I.-processing for tasks like machine learning is done using high-powered GPUs from companies like Nvidia. These are components often originally designed to help gamers get the best possible graphics, which by chance turned out to be good for A.I., too.

“It’s a coincidence that GPUs are good for A.I. because they’re good at parallel computing, but they're not efficient,” says Huang. And efficiency of A.I. is about much more than saving money. A.I.’s carbon footprint problem is a growing concern. One study in 2020 found training A.I. models can generate a carbon footprint five times greater than the lifetime of the average American car. Even the more generous findings of a Google-backed study in 2021 found that training the much-lauded GPT-3 natural language A.I. model used 1,287 megawatts, producing 552 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions.
https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/https://bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com/public/images/2996e2e4-8c5f-4d82-854a-9b053ce40d19_800x800.jpeg
Huang comes to neuromorphic computing after a decade in chip design, including eight years at Broadcom. He began his PhD at the University of Edinburgh in 2019, conducting research funded by the US Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) and radiation detector company Kromek Group.

Huang is joined at Rigpa by co-founders Dr. Taihai Chen and Edward Jones. Chen, who previously co-founded University of Southampton spinout AccelerComm, is focused on building out Rigpa’s commercial strategy. Jones, a University of Manchester PhD candidate, collaborated with Huang on the research that forms the basis of Rigpa’s technology.

A.I.’s progression towards the human brain​

Rigpa’s solution is far from the only show in town when it comes to more efficient A.I. hardware. Huang considers current state-of-the-art offerings like Google’s TPU to be part of a “second generation” of A.I. processor.

“With the second generation A.I. network, the artificial neural network is mature for the current market. We are working on the next generation, the third generation… which is more close to a biological neural network… it's low-power and fast inference but much less mature [as a technology],” says Huang.

One benefit of this fresh approach should be greater adaptability. While the TPU is great for working with datasets like images or text, new kinds of advanced sensors could require more human-like adaptability to make sense of their outputs, efficiently and at scale. What kinds of sensors? Huang gives the example of event cameras, which measure brightness on a pixel-by-pixel basis and could find use in fields like autonomous vehicles and robotics.

Rigpa has competition in the development of this third generation, most notably BrainChip, which was founded in 2006, IPO’ed in Australia in 2011, and recently launched what it describes as the first commercial neuromorphic A.I. chip. Big companies like IBM and Intel are also exploring the space. For example, Intel launched the Loihi 2 research chip last year. But Huang isn’t concerned about having much larger competition in an emerging space. He sees it as a new market ready for the capturing, just not quite yet….

Indeed, Huang speculates that perhaps BrainChip moved too quickly, too early. “There’s no real customer there yet.” he says. BrainChip’s financial results paint a picture that supports that view.

The route to market​

Rigpa is taking time to explore the market and develop tools that fit real needs in the fields of defence and security, internet of things, drone and Lidar. While he declines to go into details about who the startup is working with, Huang says Rigpa has been engaged in an industrial partnership with Kromek Group, which serves the US Department of Defense, to develop brain-influenced A.I. for specific market needs.

Over the space of a three-year partnership, Rigpa has developed several prototype chips, the latest of which he says demonstrates at least 28x lower power and 23x faster speeds than the customer’s existing solution.

An edge chip, it is designed to provide A.I. computing at the location of sensors themselves, rather than sending data to the cloud. A good, relatable example of A.I. on the edge is how Google’s Tensor chip in the Pixel 6 Pro smartphone transcribed my conversation with Huang on-device, in real-time as we talked. BrainChip announced an edge computing-focused partnership last month.

A.I. is a competitive market, with plenty of big names and big money involved. But while the likes of Google and Intel have researched neuromorphic computing for years, Huang is right that the market for this type of A.I. just isn’t quite there yet. This provides an opportunity for the likes of Rigpa to develop new technology that either ends up being sought after by tech giants, or serves specific niche markets well. And of course, there’s always room for new giants to emerge as rivals to the likes of Google, Microsoft, with the right technology and the drive to market it well.

Rigpa is currently working on its commercial chip, which it plans to release in Q1 of 2023. Having been funded to date by the commercial backing for Huang’s PhD project, the startup is currently preparing its first equity round.
No published Rigpa AI patent docs as yet (18 month blackout), and the article doesn't give away any tech details.

A little knowledge is dangerous:-

The route to market

Over the space of a three-year partnership, Rigpa has developed several prototype chips, the latest of which he says demonstrates at least 28x lower power and 23x faster speeds than the customer’s existing solution
. - [that's assuming the customer does not have BrainChip.]

It looks like we've moved too quickly to catch the ADAS/AD wave, the wake word wave, the DVS wave, the serology wave, the vibration wave, the edge wave, the space wave, the LiDaR wave, the radar wave, not to mention the doorbell wave.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 48 users

Diogenese

Top 20
O good i will still be awake as im another 12hr shift. :)
... and I thought the salt mines were closing down because everybody has hypertension!

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
No published Rigpa AI patent docs as yet (18 month blackout), and the article doesn't give away any tech details.

The route to market

Over the space of a three-year partnership, Rigpa has developed several prototype chips, the latest of which he says demonstrates at least 28x lower power and 23x faster speeds than the customer’s existing solution

It looks like we've moved too quickly to catch the ADAS/AD wave, the wake word wave, the DVS wave, the serology wave, the vibration wave, the edge wave, the space wave, the LiDaR wave, the radar wave, not to mention the doorbell wave.
Second thoughts...maybe just some shorters and a fake website and interview :LOL:

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 11 users

The route to market

Little more background.

This looks like could be him based on profile pic and Rigpa article pic.

Is apparently SNN.

Was working with Steve Furber at Manchester at one point. Sure I've seen his name around before.

Also had funding from US DTRA.

This new brain-inspired chip is 23 times faster and needs 28 times less energy

It was 2009 when Mike Huang first knew he wanted to become a chip design engineer, as he developed a 16-bit microprocessor from scratch with his classmates in his university lab.

Soon, Huang grew interested in understanding how the mind works — and “as an engineer, to understand and prove how the mind works is to effectively reverse engineer the brain,” he says. He reached out to Professor Steve Furber at the University of Manchester, who was designing a supercomputer with 1 million ARM cores that draws inspiration from the communication architecture of the brain, and started working closely with him.

A decade later, Huang has just developed a brain-inspired microchip that could process large amounts of data faster and with lower power, improving performance and energy efficiency for AI applications.

“The technology itself closely mimics how biological neural networks work compared to conventional AI solutions,” Huang says.

Huang first created the chip as part of his PhD in Neuromorphic Computing at the University of Edinburgh School of Engineering, funded by UK-based radiation detection company Kromek and the US Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA). He then launched a startup, Rigpa, and joined Cohort IV at Conception X to learn how to commercialise his technology.

The problem Huang originally set out to solve was to reduce power consumption and inference times compared to traditional chip architectures. He achieved this by designing a spiking neural network chip to accelerate the next generation of AI — efficient, sustainable and human brain-like.

“GPUs are an old technology — they were originally designed for video games,” Huang says. “The median GPU consumes a huge amount of power. Just think that the latest neural network model GPT-3 generated 552 metric tons of carbon dioxide during training — that’s the CO2 emissions the average American produces over more than 34 years. It’s not a sustainable solution.”

Rigpa’s technology achieves 28 times less power consumption and 23 times faster inference speed than conventional architectures, with key applications in situations that require reliable, real-time computation — think computer vision, drones, smart home appliances, self-driving cars, wearables, high-frequency trading and more.

“National security is a good example of how this technology could be used,” Huang says. “Imagine a police officer working in counterterrorism who’s equipped with a handheld radiation detector connected to their mobile phone, which processes the data from the detector. Rigpa’s new chip can be integrated directly into the detector so that everything happens in there, and the phone is no longer needed.”

At Conception X, Huang learned how to turn blue sky ideas into something tangible. “Conception X has helped to sharpen my mindset. I’m still doing research, but it’s completely different from one year ago,” he says. “Before, I wasn’t sure when or how this technology would be useful. Now, I know in which direction to go and I’m constantly thinking about how a new piece of research I’m working on will feed into my technology.”

Rigpa plans to launch its product on the market in 2024, when demand for neuromorphic technologies is set to take off, and is currently looking to raise.

• Fire
Reactions: 11 users

JK200SX

Regular
I think they were all smoking Marijuana at Mercedes while making this video.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)

Markus Schäfer:​

What a great night! Here we are in Paris in the gardens of the musée Rodin, where we have just enjoyed the double world premiere of our new EQE SUV – from Mercedes-EQ and from Mercedes-AMG GmbH.

The EQE SUV is one of the most spacious in its class and packed with innovations. I also love how dynamic and agile it is – perfect for multi-faceted lifestyles. That’s because, at 3,030 millimetres, its wheelbase is comparatively short for a car of this size. We have a number of optional extras that enhance this even further, such as our AIRMATIC air suspension or the OFFROAD programme. Plus, there’s rear-axle steering for added manoeuvrability.

I should add that it also looks fabulous. The response at the musée has been fantastic. Check out the cool video from our digital world premiere here: https://lnkd.in/er6X4s4F

you can find 5 documents on this side, one is in English

I couldn´t find any infos which belongs to BRN🥵

• Fire
Reactions: 12 users

TheFunkMachine

seeds have the potential to become trees.

The route to market

We might as well wave them goodbye

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 8 users
  • Sad
  • Thinking
Reactions: 7 users

VictorG

I think they were all smoking Marijuana at Mercedes while making this video.
In going with Mushrooms, lots of mushrooms, lots and lots and lots of 🍄 🍄 🍄 🍄

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users

VictorG

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users

AARONASX

Holding onto what I've got
Sleepless night for nothing!

No mention of Brainchip! 😞
To be fair, no one else in the presentation was mentioned (other components) or mentioned as the 'tech' so doesn't rule us out completely?

We known Brainchip mentions regularly Mercedes...if Mercedes didn't support us or when elsewhere, they wouldn't sent Brainchip as cease and desist letter ages ago...given Rob about 1 week ago mention in his presentation shows we are still collaborating.

We may not see a company directly name drop us for the sake for name dropping...however it'll be the financials the light the way!

It would have still been nice to see AKIDA or BRAINCHIP up in neon light :)

onwards and upwards!

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 23 users
Top Bottom