BRN Discussion Ongoing

Makeme 2020

Regular
Don't forget guys and gals that this month alone we have had confirmation of our inclusion in both Google and NASA. We previously knew something was brewing with NASA but through our partnership with SiFive we are embedded within some serious situations.

I would also love revenue guidance, but there is so much happening behind the scenes that I'm just kickin' back and enjoying the sun!
GOOGLE...?????

Reactions: 5 users

cassip

Regular
Hello to all the German friends and happy Oktoberfest. How is everything in Germany at the moment?

Was wandering if anyone has the chance to test drive the new Mercedes vehicles?

On another thought are people allowed to test vehicles on the Autobarn no limits?

regards,
Eq
Hello Eq.
to be honest, things are not that easy in Germany in these times.
The bright spots are the many ambitious companies that are developing good technology (market has yet to realize that).
I saw an EQS the other day, standing at a traffic light; looked like it wanted to communicate about/via Akida.
There are highways you could test it without speed limit - if there are no road works or traffic jam ;)
Regards
cassip

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

cosors

👀
I think it's interesting though that it's a BMW digital key and I wonder what sort of sensors are required to operate it? I remember @cosors posting something about a Mercedes patent which outlined something similar using NFC technology, if I'm not mitaken.
https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/brn-mercedes.150/post-44607
1664432203437.png

https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/brn-mercedes.150/post-44620

Diogenese:
1664432320537.png

https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/brn-mercedes.150/post-44645
___
At that time I didn't know that we have a professional for that. But a little division of labor can't hurt.

• Fire

Dhm

Regular
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 28 users
I don't believe I am joining little dots. More like dirty great big footprints.

View attachment 17641 View attachment 17642
Obviously there is potentially a "guilty by association" in being within the SiFive ecosystem and positive comments from SiFive re Akida and inference in the original press release saying that:

Employing Akida, BrainChip’s specialized, differentiated AI engine, with high-performance RISC-V processors such as the SiFive Intelligence Series is a natural choice for companies looking to seamlessly integrate an optimized processor to dedicated ML accelerators that are a must for the demanding requirements of edge AI computing,” said Chris Jones, vice president, products at SiFive.

I agree with you that there is definitely something there to be interested in given the X280 is part of the "Intelligence Series" but unfortunately doesn't confirm that other companies using the X280 have to have Akida in it.

Be nice to see something a little more concrete though than being just a by default assumption.

Maybe SiFive / BRN being partners could confirm that Akida is in the X280?

Bit more background from a recent article covering SiFives new coprocessor interface, Google and NASA.

SiFive Introduces A New Coprocessor Interface, Targets Custom Accelerators​

September 20, 2022 David Schor AI, AI Hardware Summit, Linley Processor Conference, neural processors, SiFive, Vector Coprocessor Interface Extension (VCIX)
sifive-x280-header.png

Last year SiFive introduced the Intelligence X280 processor, part of a new category of RISC-V processors for SiFive that aims at assisting AI and machine learning workloads.
Launched under the new family of processors called SiFive Intelligence, the X280 is the first core to cater to AI acceleration. At a high level, the X280 builds on top of their silicon-proven U7-series high-performance (Linux-capable) core. SiFive’s Intelligence X280 is somewhat of a unique processor from SiFive. Targetting ML workloads, its main feature point is both the new RISC-V Vector (RVV) Extension as well as SiFive Intelligence Extensions – the company’s own RISC-V custom-extension for handling ML workloads which includes fixed-point data types from 8-bits to 64-bits as well as 16-64 bit FP and the BFloat16 data type. On the RVV extension side, the X280 supports 512-bit vector register lengths, allowing variable length operations up to 512-bits.

As we mentioned earlier, the X280 builds on SiFive’s successful U7-series core. This is a 64-bit RISC-V core supporting the RV64GCV ISA and extensions. It is an 8-stage dual-issue in-order pipeline. Each core features 32-KiB private L1 data and instruction caches as well as a private L2 cache.

The RISC-V Vector extension is a variable length instruction set. For the X280, the core utilizes a 256b pipeline. In other words, both the vector ALU and load/store architecture data width is 256-bit, doing two operations per 512-bit register data. In addition to the vector extension, SiFive added the “Intelligence Extensions” part of the RISC-V custom extensions ISA support. SiFive didn’t go into any details as to what those extensions entail but did note that compared to the standard RISC-V Vector ISA, the Intelligence Extensions provide a 4-6x performance improvement in int8 (matmul) and bf16 operations.

One of the interesting things that SiFive has done is add that capability for automatic translations of Arm Neon vector code into RISC-V Vectors directly into their compiler. And while it may not produce the most optimal code, it’s a way to quickly and accurately move on Arm Neon code directly to SiFive’s RISC-V code. At last year’s Linley Processor Conference, According to Chris Lattner at Last year’s, SiFive’s then President of Engineering & Product group noted that SiFive itself has been using this feature to port a large number of software packages.

Each of the X280 cores goes into an X280 Core Complex which supports up to a quad-core coherent multi-core cluster configuration. The core cluster can be fully scaled up in a configuration that consists of up to 4 clusters for a total of 16 cores. A system-level L3 cache made of 1 MiB banks (up to 8 MiB) is also supported. The system supports a rich number of ports for I/O and communication with other important sub-system components via the system matrix.

Vector Coprocessor Interface Extension (VCIX)​

At the 2022 AI Hardware Summit, Krste Asanovic SiFive Co-Founder and Chief Architect introduced a new Vector Coprocessor Interface Extension (VCIX).

As customer evaluation of the X280 went underway, SiFive say it started noticing new potential usage trends for the core. One such usage is not as the primary ML accelerator, but rather as a snappy side coprocessor/control processor with ML acceleration functionality. In other words, SiFive says it has noticed that companies were considering the X280 as a replacement coprocessor and control processor for their main SoC. Instead of rolling out their own sequencers and other controllers, the X280 proved a good potential replacement.

To assist customers with such applications, SiFive developed the new Vector Coprocessor Interface Extension (VCIX, pronounced “Vee-Six”). VCIX allows for tight coupling between the customer’s SoC/accelerator and the X280. For example, consider a hardware AI startup with a novel way of processing neural networks or one that has designed a very large computational engine. Instead of designing a custom sequencer or control unit, they can simply use the X280 as a drop-in replacement. With VCIX, they are given direct connections to the X280. The interface includes direct access into the vector unit and memory units as well as the instruction stream, allowing an external circuit to utilize the vector pipeline as well as directly access the caches and vector register file.

The capabilities of essentially modifying the X280 core are far beyond anything you can get from someone like Arm. In theory, you could have an accelerator processing its own custom instructions by doing operations on its own side and sending various tasks to the X280 (as a standard RISC-V operation) or directly execute various operations on the X280 vector unit by going directly to that unit. Alternatively, the VCIX interface can work backward by allowing for custom execution engines to be connected to X280 for various custom applications (e.g., FFTs, image signal processing, Matrix operations). That engine would then operate as if they are part of the X280, operating in and out of the X280’s own vector register file. In other words, VCIX essentially allows you to much better customize the X280 core with custom instructions and custom operations on top of a fully working RISC-V core capable of booting full Linux and supporting virtualization.

The VCIX is a high-performance direct-coupling interface to the X280 and its instruction stream. To that end, Asanovic noted that on the X280 with the new VCIX interface, the X280 is capable of sending 1,024 bits over onto the accelerator/external component each cycle and retrieving 512 bits per cycle, every cycle sustained over the VCIX interface.

SiFive says that utilizing their Vector Coprocessor Interface Extension, various accesses and operations from outside can now be done in as low as single-digit cycles or 10s of cycles, instead of 100s of cycles from the normal cluster bus interfaces or memory mapped interfaces. Extremely low-cycle latency is important for developing computational circuits that are highly integrated with the X280.

Google Accelerators​

Cliff Young, Google TPU Architect, and MLPerf Co-Founder was also part of the SiFive announcement. As we’ve seen from other Google accelerators, their hardware team always looks to eliminate redundant work by utilizing off-the-shelf solutions if it doesn’t add any real value to design it themselves in-house.

For their own TPU accelerators, beyond the inter-chip interconnect and their highly-refined Matrix Multiply Unit (MXU) which utilizes a systolic array, much of everything else is rather generic and not particularly unique to their chip. Young noted that when they started 9 years ago, they essentially built much of this from scratch, saying “scalar and vector technologies are relatively well-understood. Krste is one of the pioneers
in the vector computing areas and has built beautiful machines that way. But should Google duplicate what Krste has already been doing? Should we be reinventing the wheel along with the Matrix Multiply and the interconnect we already have? We’d be much happier if the answer was ‘no’. If we can focus on the stuff that we do great and we can also reuse a general-purpose processor with a general-purpose software stack and integrate that into our future accelerators.” Young added, “the promise of VCIX is to get our accelerators and our general-purpose cores closer together; not far apart across something like a PCIe interface with 1000s of cycles of delay but right next to each other with just a few 100s of cycles through the on-chip path and down to 10s of cycles through direct vector register access.”

The SiFive-Google partnership announcement is one of several public announcements that took place over the past year. Last year SiFive announced that AI chip startup Tenstorrent will also make use of the X280 processor in its next-generation AI training and inference processors. Earlier this month, NASA announced that it has selected SiFive’s X280 cores for its next-generation High-Performance Spaceflight Computing (HPSC) processor. HPSC will utilize an 8-core X280 cluster along with 4 additional SiFive RISC-V cores to “deliver 100x the computational capability of today’s space computers”.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users

ndefries

Regular
Just to show why I believe the dirty big footprints are valid, this is what SiFive said of Akida:

View attachment 17648
The Question I have is why is NASA able to announce they select sifive but can't make an announcement about Brainchip if we are part of this leap in power. There seems to be way more need for secrecy arouns us vs them.

• Fire
Reactions: 16 users

Makeme 2020

Regular
I Think management should update SHAREHOLDERS on the progress of the company.
Megachips was the last Announcement how many months ago was that, The end of 2021 Management said 2022 would be Brainchips Year / turning point.
And we have heard NOTHING.
Management monitors this site why are you keeping us SHAREHOLDERS in the dark.

• Love
  • Thinking
Reactions: 27 users

Xhosa12345

Regular
Why make generalised sexist statements?
I think that is inappropriate.
You could have said narcissistic sociopath or the like... think a little bit more about these type of statements.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnbeh.2018.00081/full
Compared to our knowledge of men’s aggression, relatively little is known about women’s aggression. Indeed, aggression and violence are usually considered male problems. There is some truth to this assumption. Globally, men are more violent than women (UN Office on Drugs and Crime, 2013). However, women frequently engage in other forms of aggressive behavior (Richardson, 2005). Research consistently reports that women use indirect aggression to an equivalent or greater extent than men (Archer and Coyne, 2005). Indirect aggression occurs when someone harms another while masking the aggressive intent (Björkqvist et al., 1992; Arnocky et al., 2012). Specific examples of indirect aggression include spreading false rumors, gossiping, excluding others from a social group, making insinuations without direct accusation, and criticizing others’ appearance or personality. Girls’ use of indirect aggression exceeds boys’ from age 11 onward (Archer, 2004). This difference persists into adulthood; compared to men, adult women use more indirect forms of aggression across various areas of life (Björkqvist et al., 1994; Österman et al., 1998). Indeed, in a large cross-cultural survey of female aggression across 317 societies, Burbank (1987) found that female aggression was mostly indirect and rarely inflicted physical injury. Thus, in the real world aggression is common in women and girls, but the form it takes is largely indirect compared to men’s aggression.

And I have a few male friends with integrity that have suffered shocking abuse from women.
Don't make this about gender.
Abuse and aggression is not exclusive to gender.... and no one should suffer either.
Apologies

Amended statement should have read 'typical aggressive person'

That should cover everyone who identifies as a person.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

Makeme 2020

Regular
The Question I have is why is NASA able to announce they select sifive but can't make an announcement about Brainchip if we are part of this leap in power. There seems to be way more need for secrecy arouns us vs them.
Everything is TOP SECERT..................NDA........

Reactions: 2 users
Everything is TOP SECERT..................NDA........
Everybody including Chinese and Russians have RISC-V.

Only the USA has AKIDA.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 16 users

cassip

Regular
I have the impression that the brn team is doing a hard and good job; the first source of information for shareholders is quarterly reports.
It is not common, that a company names every supplier, is it? Not all revenue needs to be announced.
Regards
cassip

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 7 users
D

Deleted member 118

Megachips was the last Announcement how many months ago was that, The end of 2021 Management said 2022 would be Brainchips Year / turning point.
Can it really be that hard to disclose something

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Listen carefully, I will say this only once ...

ISL 20220109
Akida 1000 PCI 20220117
SiFive 20220405
nViso 20220419
ARM 20220501
Edge Impulse 20220515
Prophesee 20220619
BrainChip University 20220816

... but apart from that, what has Brainchip ever done for shareholders?

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 56 users

HopalongPetrovski

I'm Spartacus!
Apologies

Amended statement should have read 'typical aggressive person'

That should cover everyone who identifies as a person.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

Makeme 2020

Regular
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Tothemoon24

Top 20
BRN Are saying they need to get the WORD OUT ABOUT AKIDA But everything is NDA TOP SECRET................Please explain................
N ot
D ell ing
A nyone

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 25 users

Makeme 2020

Regular
Listen closely, I will say this only once ...

ISL 20220109
Akida 1000 PCI 20220117
SiFive 20220405
nViso 20220419
ARM 20220501
Edge Impulse 20220515
Prophesee 20220619

Listen closely.
Sorry i missed that what did you say.

Makeme 2020

Regular
Listen carefully, I will say this only once ...

ISL 20220109
Akida 1000 PCI 20220117
SiFive 20220405
nViso 20220419
ARM 20220501
Edge Impulse 20220515
Prophesee 20220619

Are they CONTRACTS or just Twitter.??????????

Reactions: 4 users
Top Bottom