BRN Discussion Ongoing

Hrdwk

Regular
  • Thinking
Reactions: 9 users

Chipmakingā€™s Next Big Thing Guzzles as Much Power as Entire Countries​

The machines needed to make the worldā€™s most advanced semiconductors are miracles of modern engineering. Known as extreme ultraviolet lithography systems, or EUVs, they bathe silicon wafers with waves of light invisible to the human eye, burning patterns into materials on the waferā€™s surface that need to be exact within a few nanometers. To create the specialized light, EUVs vaporize molten tin with lasers, then use mirrors to focus the radiance into thinner wavelengths. Only one company in the worldā€” ASML Holding NV of the Netherlandsā€”makes the bus-size devices, which cost more than $150 million and consist of 100,000 separate components.

EUVs are also a prime illustration of how the push to make semiconductors that are smaller, more capable, and more energy-efficient is leading to manufacturing processes that are more complicated and energy-intensive. Each machine is rated to consume about 1 megawatt of electricity, about 10 times more than previous generations of equipment. With no alternative available to make the most advanced kinds of semiconductors, the chip industry is a potentially significant stumbling block to the drive to reduce global carbon emissions.

No one has purchased more EUVs than Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., the worldā€™s largest supplier of outsourced chips. It currently has more than 80 and is in the midst of installing a new generation of the machines as part of a $20 billion chip foundry in Tainan, a city in southern Taiwan. Because of the vast amount of power needed to run EUVs, TSMC is expected to soon consume more energy than the entire 21 million-person population of Sri Lanka. In 2020 the company accounted for about 6% of Taiwanā€™s overall energy consumption. Itā€™s expected to use 12.5% of it by 2025.

Around the globe, governments that profess a desire to lower carbon emissions are also eager to build domestic semiconductor manufacturing capacity to defend against supply chain shocks and geopolitical disruptions. The US recently passed a $52 billion plan to bring chip production capacities onshore, and the European Chips Act encompasses $49 billion in investments to revive the industry within the European Union. Environmental impact doesnā€™t seem to have been an important consideration in either jurisdiction. ā€œAlthough there are conditions to be met for companies to obtain funds, none of these acts have yet to specify climate-related targets,ā€ says David Kang, head of Japan and South Korea research at BloombergNEF.

ASML is experiencing unprecedented demand. Bloomberg Intelligence senior analyst Masahiro Wakasugi predicts the company could see more than a 30% increase in annual sales in 2023, to about $26 billion, despite pressure from the US to stop providing to China even the equipment to make less advanced chips. Chief Financial Officer Roger Dassen said in April that ASML is investigating the possibility of increasing shipments to 90 of its EUVs in 2025, from an original target of 70 units.
Cutting out incredibly stupid things, like Cryptocurrency mining, would more than make up for things like that, as concerning as they are.
Probably by 1000 fold..

Bitcoin (alone) the world's largest cryptocurrency, currently consumes an estimated 150 terawatt-hours of electricity annually ā€” more than the entire country of Argentina, population 45 million. 4 May 2022.

Future generations, will scorn Mankind's folly and wastage of the Earth's valuable and finite resources, on something you can't even fffing see or touch!!

As far as I'm concerned, Cryptocurrency mining is a crime against the Planet and is the ultimate expression of selfishness.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 41 users

equanimous

Norse clairvoyant shapeshifter goddess
Seeing as we are on the topic of energy and how Brainchip can support the Data centers as discussed in the Dell podcast.

Mind you the energy consumed in the data centers is very hush hush to the public...

• Data centres consume up to 10 per cent of all global energy production. In Australia its 4%.
  • There are several options to save energy in data centres: virtualisation, ARM based processors, good practical management of facilities and implementing power usage effectiveness (PUE) targets
  • A well-orchestrated energy strategy is key to success
  • Cooling systems in data centres are large power guzzlers. Free cooling opportunities exist in many locations ā€“ Data centre managers need to decide whether they are going to use direct or indirect free cooling
  • Data centre managers need to decide whether they are going to use direct or indirect free cooling
  • Key processing tasks can be scheduled to take place after peak hours to save energy
  • Future trends in data centre design and development include integrating cost-effective, sustainable energy solutions, including the use of renewables such as solar and wind for energy and seawater for cooling
Just in comparison
  1. Bitcoin mining consumes roughly 0.5% of all energy consumption worldwide (2022).
Question to ponder is how much power can Akida save on edge devices each year?

According to an article published by Ars Technica, if you use Siri two or three times per day at an average of 63KB per instance, you might expect to use 126KB to 189KB per day, or 3.7 to 5.5MB per month. If you use the personal assistant between four and six times a day, that might work out to 252KB to 378KB per day, or 7.4 to 11MB per month. If you use it 10-15 times per day, you might end up using 630KB to 945KB per day, or 18.5 to 27.7MB per month.

Once this data is transferred by millions of users a day to the Apple cloud environment, it has been estimated by Jason Mars, an Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Michigan, that Siri requires about 168 times more processing capacity, space, and electrical power than a text-based search engine such as Google Search.

Top Voice Search Statistics | Editorā€™s Choice​

• The latest data shows there are 4.2 billion digital voice assistants worldwide.
  • Siri and Google Assistant are the most popular digital assistants, with 36% of users each.
  • The entire voice recognition market was valued at $10.7 billion in 2020.
  • Amazon Alexa was the top-rated voice platform in 2020 with 110.2 points.
  • 68% of voice assistants users agree personal assistants make their lives easier.
  • An average voice search result is just 29 words long.
  • Around 46% of voice search users search for local businesses each day.
  • Voice assistant users conduct 3.1 billion voice searches each month.
  • 24% of Americans aged 18ā€“29 own a smart speaker.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users

Listen from about 2:10
Jim Keller apparently is working on the most powerful processor ever that mimics the human brain and stat it will be much more revolutionary then the Internet. Words from Jordan P. I tend to listen to this bloke when he speaks.

Now what is this chip and how does it stack up to Akida? No matter what, it is more validation by industry veterans that we are on the right track!:)

Sounds like he's only just getting started..

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

Learning

Learning to the Top šŸ•µā€ā™‚ļø
Seeing as we are on the topic of energy and how Brainchip can support the Data centers as discussed in the Dell podcast.

Mind you the energy consumed in the data centers is very hush hush to the public...

• Data centres consume up to 10 per cent of all global energy production. In Australia its 4%.
  • There are several options to save energy in data centres: virtualisation, ARM based processors, good practical management of facilities and implementing power usage effectiveness (PUE) targets
  • A well-orchestrated energy strategy is key to success
  • Cooling systems in data centres are large power guzzlers. Free cooling opportunities exist in many locations ā€“ Data centre managers need to decide whether they are going to use direct or indirect free cooling
  • Data centre managers need to decide whether they are going to use direct or indirect free cooling
  • Key processing tasks can be scheduled to take place after peak hours to save energy
  • Future trends in data centre design and development include integrating cost-effective, sustainable energy solutions, including the use of renewables such as solar and wind for energy and seawater for cooling
Just in comparison
  1. Bitcoin mining consumes roughly 0.5% of all energy consumption worldwide (2022).
Question to ponder is how much power can Akida save on edge devices each year?

According to an article published by Ars Technica, if you use Siri two or three times per day at an average of 63KB per instance, you might expect to use 126KB to 189KB per day, or 3.7 to 5.5MB per month. If you use the personal assistant between four and six times a day, that might work out to 252KB to 378KB per day, or 7.4 to 11MB per month. If you use it 10-15 times per day, you might end up using 630KB to 945KB per day, or 18.5 to 27.7MB per month.

Once this data is transferred by millions of users a day to the Apple cloud environment, it has been estimated by Jason Mars, an Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Michigan, that Siri requires about 168 times more processing capacity, space, and electrical power than a text-based search engine such as Google Search.

Top Voice Search Statistics | Editorā€™s Choice​

• The latest data shows there are 4.2 billion digital voice assistants worldwide.
  • Siri and Google Assistant are the most popular digital assistants, with 36% of users each.
  • The entire voice recognition market was valued at $10.7 billion in 2020.
  • Amazon Alexa was the top-rated voice platform in 2020 with 110.2 points.
  • 68% of voice assistants users agree personal assistants make their lives easier.
  • An average voice search result is just 29 words long.
  • Around 46% of voice search users search for local businesses each day.
  • Voice assistant users conduct 3.1 billion voice searches each month.
  • 24% of Americans aged 18ā€“29 own a smart speaker.
To add to your post equanimous,

(Akida to the far edge & beneficial Ai, to save the world!)šŸ˜Š

Learning
It's great to be a shareholder.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 10 users

Learning

Learning to the Top šŸ•µā€ā™‚ļø
On the subject of Megachips,

Could these companies be customers of Megachips? It's behind a pay report, however they mention this.
Screenshot_20220827_170103_Chrome.jpg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 31 users

Townyj

Ermahgerd
On the subject of Megachips,

Could these companies be customers of Megachips? It's behind a pay report, however they mention this.
View attachment 15146

A report on Megachips and all those companies are mentioned...

Hmmmm i wonder...

hugh laurie oh give the man a bloody medal GIF

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

Murphy

Life is not a dress rehearsal!
I can't wait until they have fully automated buses. And I've got to tell you it doesn't always pay to do good deeds.

I gave up my seat on the bus the other day for a blind man (blind Freddy?). Anyway that's how I lost my job ... as a bus driver.
LMAO........

If you don't have dreams, you can't have dreams come true!

Reactions: 3 users

Murphy

Life is not a dress rehearsal!
Congratulations I was pretty sure unless someone had AKIDA that they would never work out my last name from the ā€˜cluesā€™ but never in my wildest dreams did I imagine someone could be so wide of the mark.šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

You deserve a prize but you will probably have to make do with a beverage of choice at next years AGM.šŸ˜Ž

FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
It's not 'Rumplestiltskin' is it, my fact-filled friend?? :)
P.S. Nice to see you back here. So, so missed, my friend.

If you don't have dreams, you can't have dreams come true!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

HopalongPetrovski

I'm Spartacus!
I am going to do a Tech and throw out a clue ā€˜Spiking Neural Networks and Quantum Annealingā€™ with NASA.

This could be a ā€˜black holeā€™ or the ā€˜light at the end of the tunnelā€™.

No opinion yet still DMOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

"This could be a ā€˜black holeā€™ or the ā€˜light at the end of the tunnelā€™. "

These two phenomena may just turn out to be the same thing when viewed from the relative perspective's of conjoined universes.
'I'll have another thanks barkeep.' hic šŸ¤£

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I have a solution.

There are a 1,000 billion in a trillion.

The combined value of superannuation in Australia is about 3.5 trillion dollars.

At any one time about 30% of that 3.5 trillion dollars is invested offshore which is approximately one trillion dollars.

So we create a Government Bond with a face value equivalent to the debt and require every institutional and government superannuation fund to buy a portion of the bond based on their funds value.

The bond will pay a minimum return of 5 percent which will be tax free in the funds so that it will be the equivalent of about 6 percent gross.

Fund managers will not be permitted to charge any fees to members against the earnings of the fund adding another couple of percent to the value of the returns bringing it to about 8% gross.

The Bond will be for at least 50 years during which time inflation will work its magic and the payments made by the Government to service the bond will remain in the hands of and enrich the Australian people.

The total value of the Australian Government debt at 30.6.22 was about $963 billion dollars.

Over the last 29 years the gross average return of superannuation growth funds has been about 8.2%.

It is a plan called nation building. Vote 1 Fact Finder for dictator.

šŸ˜Ž
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
LOL. I've got it. Your last name is Palmer!

SC

• Haha
  • Love

Deadpool

hyper-efficient Ai
  • Haha

Mea culpa

prəmÉŖskjuəs
  • Haha
  • Love

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its bicepsšŸ’Ŗ!
I have lost years of my life correcting people with ā€˜no itā€™s a ā€˜uā€™ not an ā€˜oā€™ and there is a ā€˜dā€™ after ā€˜eā€™ and there is an ā€˜sā€™ on the end.ā€™
Pleased to meet you Mr Sued
Was I the only one that heard this? There is a ā€˜dā€™ after ā€˜eā€™ and there is an ā€˜sā€™ on the end.ā€™

• Haha
  • Love

Bravo

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Bravo

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Bravo

Pleased to meet you Mr Sued

When the sh*t hits the fan
donā€™t get the blues
better call Saul
on 1800-SUED

It might cost a bunch
but youā€™ll be pleased as punch
that you trusted Mr Sued
with your legal issues

Last edited:
  • Haha

cosors

šŸ‘€
Hi FF,

With such clues, the 1000 eyes will try to guess your surname. šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

Learning.
For me he is still our James Bond. I also still wonder about the vacation spot. The stones in the water and shells give clues. But, we have a clear rule that is good and should last. It would be easier if he came to the board. Another dynamic
Screenshot_2022-08-02-23-09-59-59_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

@Fact Finder I'm glad that you are well and that your community could help you too (Diogenese). Nevertheless, I would have found it good if you steer our darling. But in your own way you do that. Thank you for that!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I have a last name which can be spelt and heard multiple ways despite it being a very mainstream conservative Anglo surname.

I have often wished that I had been blessed with a last name like ā€˜Jonesā€™ or ā€˜Chanā€™.

I have lost years of my life correcting people with ā€˜no itā€™s a ā€˜uā€™ not an ā€˜oā€™ and there is a ā€˜dā€™ after ā€˜eā€™ and there is an ā€˜sā€™ on the end.ā€™

šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Ahhh, so you should be known as Fact Fineders then. However, as you need a 'u' in your name, only New Zealanders are allowed to say your name, haha.

• Love
What does it take to disrupt an existing paradigm? Perhaps MegaChip and its public disclosures can give us some guidance.

On the MegaChips thread @stuart888 posted the following:

ā€œIn a much more aggressive move, in mid-2020, founder and Chairman, Masahiro Shindo, identified AI/ML technology to be critical to Megachipsā€™ future and asked the US operation to take a leadership position in moving the company in that direction.

MegaChips began an internal training program to allow a group of dedicated engineers to become experts in this important technology. The company made significant investments in the US to identify key partners, build relationships with local universities, and acquire key talent in this space. In 2021, the company made multi-million-dollar investments in two key AI/IP partners, Brainchip and Quadric, to bolster its offerings in the Edge AI market. The company is now positioned to make an aggressive move into the US ASIC market, using its skills in Edge AI as a key component of that moveā€

So in mid 2020 MegaChips commenced training a group of dedicated engineers at the same time that Brainchip was announcing its first EAP customers Ford Motors Corporation and Valeo.

I think we can now say wth confidence that MegaChips was an EAP in 2020.

MegaChips before buying a full IP licence invested close to two years in identifying the paradigm shift and training its staff noting ā€œChairman, Masahiro Shindo, identified AI/ML technology to be critical to Megachipsā€™ futureā€ and determined how this was to be embraced and implemented by MegaChips. This decision would not have been taken lightly or overnight so most likely was in contemplation back in 2019.

Remember Brainchip announced the release of AKIDA IP to select customers in June, 2019.

NINTENDO was 70% of MegaChips FUTURE in 2019 and it is hard to believe that it did not figure in MegaChips thinking where Ai/ML was concerned.

Then in October, 2021 MegaChip announced to its customers and the market generally that it was able to address customer requirements for the entire suite of Ai/Ml products from design to implementation.

Then in Brainchipā€™s 2022 half yearly report there appears about 2 million dollars in unexpected revenue which Brainchip advises primarily relates to IP licence fees.

If these licence fees have arrived via MegaChips then they relate to MegaChip customers at the very beginning of product development cycles.

As Nintendo account for 70% of MegaChips business I thought about the statement by the former CEO Mr. Dinardo in 2020 that there was an opportunity for AKIDA to appear in controllers.

If 70% of what you do everyday as an engineer at MegaChips relates to Nintendo products does it not make perfect sense when tasked with learning all about AKIDA technology and how it can be applied to and designed into customer technology that the technology that occupies 70% of your work day would be foremost in your contemplation.

It just makes sense in fact were it otherwise it would actually be irrational.

So I think based on what I have read that we will see a new product offering from Nintendo early in 2023 that will walk like our famous duck and it will be quaking so loud you will not be able to ignore it.

This new product from Nintendo was rumoured for release in March of 2022 but mysteriously did not appear and now is rumoured for release in March, 2023:

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 105 users
Top Bottom