• Thinking
Reactions: 1 users

Winenut

Go AVZ!
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Samus

Top 20
As part of the ML application Dathomir has to pay surface rights to the DRC, if AVZ is not intending to start mining the CdL section right now, why not separate, the 2 licenses, keep one half as an exploration license and convert the other half into a exploitation license and while cash is tight pay only half the surface rights at this stage? Maybe that is what behind it, time will tell. Going fishing is a great alternative and there is always the pub, it's skimpies day 😂
Not the barra, greens and jus for me after this week, no skimpies.
I'll have to get my wife to dress up (down) while I have my fillet'o fish. 😣

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

cruiser51

Top 20
You don't have to live in Kalgoorlie for skimpies, 😂

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

Frank

Top 20
Production of electric batteries: a new step taken (Julien Paluku)

After setting milestones for the production of electric batteries in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the time is now for the implementation of the project.

Julien Paluku, Mohindo Nzangi and José Panda have been staying in Lubumbashi since Wednesday April 20, 2022.

They are officially launching the African Center of Excellence which will be based at the University of Lubumbashi.

Then will come the installation of the pilot factory for the manufacture of batteries and electric vehicles.

In his capacity as head of the delegation of the central executive, Minister Julien Paluku explained to the press the purpose of the mission of the three Warriors to the capital of the province of Haut-Katanga.

“Today is the implementation. We are in Lubumbashi for two things.

The first thing is to meet with all the financiers in the world who are involved in the financial structuring of electric batteries...so that we can implement this financial vehicle which will concern the financing of this pilot project of electric batteries in Democratic Republic of the Congo and particularly in Lubumbashi which will host the pilot area,” he said.

In the same vein, the former governor of North Kivu said that the government is working for the transfer of skills, in order to give jobs to the Congolese and to perpetuate the project.

“Secondly, as you know, it is a new technology that requires us to use foreign labor, but the Head of State and the Head of Government felt that we are not going to continuously employ people who come from outside.

This is why the two colleagues are with me, the Minister of Scientific Research and that of Higher Education, because they have designed a model by creating an African center of excellence.

The first center in Africa which will train experts in the manufacture of electric batteries and this center will be housed at the University of Lubumbashi, so that the day when we will start sending expatriates who will help us produce the first batteries electricity, we have our own Congolese brothers who will replace them in the pilot factories in the DRC.

So this is the meaning of the double mission that we have here, ”noted the boss of the industry.

The center of excellence and technological innovation will train Congolese managers specializing in the production of electric batteries.

This mega project will bring added value to the raw materials produced in the DRC and in the manufacture of electric batteries.

Lithium, cobalt, graphite, manganese, nickel, etc. will be transformed by the Congolese and exported for the benefit of electronic car users scattered around the world.

1650617759444.png

King-Julien.jpg

Food for thought from the King on a Friday 🔋

Frank :cool:

Reactions: 17 users

Dazmac66

Regular
Surely you don't live in Kalgoorlie?
Haha. Yes I googled it this afternoon and didn't quite know how to respond. I've since penciled in a trip to Kalgoorlie!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

Frank

Top 20

Elon Musk wants more lithium for EVs but very few places have it :oops:

Elon Musk wants more lithium, but only a handful of countries can supply the material key to the electrification of transportation, at least for now.

The Tesla chief made a public appeal for more investment in lithium mining to close what he sees as a yawning gap between supply and demand, fueled by the adoption of electric vehicles.

Musk signaled the electric car giant might finally start mining lithium due to skyrocketing prices.

He first mentioned that plan almost two years ago.

The urgency to have a lineup of supply of the silvery white commodity comes as demand growth is set to surge in the coming years.

While major producers such as Albemarle are expanding capacity and new projects are being built, supply growth is not fast enough due to a lack of investment following the boom-bust cycle in lithium from 2017 to 2019.

For now, lithium production concentrates in a few countries, with Chile and Australia accounting for 81% of global output. Few suppliers mean higher risk of supply disruptions.

Investors shied away from lithium producers, developers and explorers in the wake of the two-year price slump.

At the time, a lot of lithium capacity was being brought online, triggered by the electrification hype when Tesla and non-hybrid vehicles came on the scene five years ago.

While junior miners and startups are developing newer and greener technology to mine lithium, none of them have achieved commercial scale, rendering auto companies such as Tesla to rely solely on traditional mining countries such as Chile and Australia.

www.miningweekly.com/page/lithium

*To remind,

Metals #.png

CATLTesla.jpeg

The-future-is-Electric.png

Mining.png

More Food for thought on the Road to Mining Manono 🔋

Cheers 🍻

Reactions: 11 users

BEISHA

Top 20
looks like we're heading back to $1.05'ish until the mining minister and co. stops prioritising running around talking themselves up while they cant even sign a mining licence that has already fulfilled all criteria, or CATH at least hand over the money they said they would 2 months ago....bit lame,,,,but we dont really know everything of course. Oh well the wait continues, we'll get there, just a bit frustrating all these roadshows, and talk of his excellence is visiting the house of excellence to do excellent things but in reality an excellent mining licence is required that they dont seem to have the excellence to understand it's needed first and that a house needs a foundation before you put the bloody roof on lol

or how about an update on lead items and starting construction on infrastructure etc...like come on Nige this is the big end of town and we're getting the shit shorted out of us, no.50 on the ASX most shorted list

sorry just having a vent for once :p
" Excellent " post.......lol

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 8 users

cruiser51

Top 20
" Excellent " post.......lol
Oh dear, just imagine....
Free travel, free meals, free accommodation, free drinks before dinner, free drinks after dinner and all you have to do is talk BS, why sign that away in a hurry?
AVZ is already fixing some roads, all for free, no need to sign anything.
Life is great, fun and full of freebies.
Next move will be to send 5,000 free Dathcom baseball caps for all DRC politicians, their wives and kids, cousins, nephews, nieces and all associates domestic animals with compliments from AVZ.

• Haha
  • Wow

Winenut

Go AVZ!
Man that was a big hit on the DOW overnight...

I reckon the ol' portfolio is going to a dump next week unfortunately

Maybe ANZAC day will be a buffer and save a bit of pain at least on Monday....

Reactions: 4 users

BEISHA

Top 20

Dow futures is predicting another 1000pt drop on Monday night !!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Samus

Top 20
Good time for a drawn out trading halt 🤞

Frank

Top 20

Why did the stock market fall? Dow finishes nearly 1,000 points lower in worst day since October 2020​

Stocks hammered as investors grapple with Fed rate path; health-care stocks slump after HCA earnings

U.S. stocks fell sharply on Friday to suffer their biggest one-day drop since 2020, as investors continued to weigh hawkish comments on interest rates a day earlier by Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell, as well as a fresh batch of corporate earnings that largely disappointed.

What drove the market?​

Stock-market weakness picked up Friday where Thursday’s selloff left off, when equities tumbled into the afternoon after Powell added his support for moving faster on raising interest rates to cool inflation, measures that would include a possible 50 basis point interest rate hike in May.

“It would seem investors have been too complacent about the upcoming [Fed] meeting, which will need to change,” said Michael Kramer, founder of Mott Capital, in a note.

Stocks got clobbered Friday. Here’s why investors should focus on the long game​

The stock market ended a volatile week on a gloomy note Friday, with the three major U.S. indexes plunging as investors got tripped up in worries like inflation, the Fed’s fight against it and fears of a hard-landing recession.

As confidence got pummeled as well, financial experts recommended that investors not panic, but think about long-term strategies instead.

At a time like this, it’s definitely worth remembering the next chapter in that story, Bishop said. Ultimately, the people who experience the most financial pain are those that “take extreme action , binary action, I’m in or I’m out.”

Investors just pulled a massive $17.5 billion out of global equities.​

They’re just getting started, says Bank of America.​

Are the bears just getting started?

That’s a question posed by strategists at Bank of America, who noted Friday that investors pulled $17.5 billion out of global equities over the past week, making for the biggest weekly outflow so far this year.

They cautioned that those outflows could well deepen. Since Nov. 2021, Nasdaq peak inflows to stocks have occurred in 16 of 20 weeks, for a total of $229 billion, while private clients bought stocks 17 out of 20 weeks, pointed out Bank of America’s Michael Hartnett, who provided the below chart:

Investors also pulled $8.7 billion out of bonds and $55.4 billion from cash, pouring $900 million into gold.

That was before Friday’s stock-market rout, which saw the S&P 500 slump 2.8% and the Dow Jones Industrial Average plummet 981.36 points, or 2.8%.

The S&P 500 is down 10.4% year to date, while the Dow is off 7%. The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite is down 17.9% so far in 2022, after a 2.5% Friday drop.

Breaking down some of the equity outflows, Bank of America strategists noted data showing Europe saw the 10th straight weekly outflow — $2.9 billion, while $1.6 billion exited financials, as money flowed back into buying the technology sector dip.

Materials, meanwhile, marked a record 8-weeks of inflows.

www.marketwatch.com

Some of the major divisions of the materials sector include:
  • Chemicals stocks. ...
  • Construction materials stocks. ...
  • Paper and packaging stocks. ...
  • Metals and minerals stocks.

NoNotagain.png

#Breathe.jpg

Food for thought :unsure:

• Sad
  • Thinking
Reactions: 9 users

Thaz

Regular
Tuesday morning would be a great time to have a trading halt pending news for ML, $$$ fromCATH and updated DFS

Reactions: 9 users

Frank

Top 20
JULIEN PALUKU on Twitter !.png

Banking companies agree to finance the installation of the pilot plant of the electric battery industry

1650704046650.png

The heads of various banks operating in the Democratic Republic of Congo reaffirmed Thursday, in Lubumbashi, in the province of Haut-Katanga, their commitment to finance the installation of the pilot plant of the electric battery industry, indicated Friday to the ACP the Ministry of Industry.

According to the source, this commitment was made during their discussions with the government delegation led by the Minister of Industry Julien Paluku Kahongya who is staying in Lubumbashi who also underlines that the discussions focused on the financial package to finance the installation of the electric battery industry pilot plant.

Julien Paluku urged financial partners to take investment risks in the DRC, to capture part of the money supply that circulates around the battery and electric vehicle industry. He specified that this monetary mass is estimated at 10 trillion US dollars, by 2025-2030.

“Tomorrow, between 2030 and 2040, the money supply that will circulate around the electric battery industry is at least 10 trillion US dollars. If we do not take the risk of throwing ourselves into the dance, we risk seeing the 10 trillion circulating outside our territory, ”said the Minister of Industry.

The financial partners have reaffirmed their commitment made within the framework of the materialization of the project for the manufacture of electric batteries and renewable energies.

“For now, it’s organizational support; the RawBank will participate financially in the installation of the battery factory in Congo to bring more to the trade sector and more to the population through the commitment of people, in order to reduce the unemployment rate in Congo in general,” said Arnaud Coupé, Regional Director of RawBank Grand Katanga.

For his part, the Managing Director of TMB, Yannick Mbiya added that by emphasizing transformation, the DRC will attract wealth.

The Ministers of Mines, Higher and University Education, Scientific Research as well as the Acting Director General of the Industry Promotion Fund who were also present, promised their support for this project.

These exchanges took place in the presence of foreign financiers and delegates from the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA).

Fully Charged 100%.jpg

DRC Jigsaw.jpg

PinIt.jpg

• Fire
Reactions: 15 users

Frank

Top 20
Manono on Twitter !!.png

Manono on Twitter.png

Manono on Twitter !!!!.png

Manono on Twitter !.png

• Fire
Reactions: 15 users

Bray

Regular
Currently camped out in the Flinders Ranges, been giving the 79 series cruiser an absolute hiding through the ranges, having a few beers and fires.

AVZs little slump… just another week not worth taking notice of.. too many good times ahead :cool:

Reactions: 10 users

Frank

Top 20

Reactions: 10 users

Frank

Top 20

‘Mr. Lithium’ warns there’s not enough battery metal to go around

Batteries, and more precisely battery metals, are poised to replace chips as the new bottleneck for the auto industry.
blank.gif

While there’s been a lot of attention on nickel, especially after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, another key metal — lithium — is a source of concern for manufacturers dealing with all manner of supply chain challenges.

The cost of the metal — mainly used to produce lithium-ion batteries, but also for pharmaceuticals and industrial lubricants has been soaring.

An index of key prices more than doubled in the first quarter, after surging 280% last year, according to Benchmark Mineral Intelligence.

That jump is worrying government officials in China, my colleague Annie Lee wrote earlier this month. Elon Musk, largely seen as ahead of the pack on scaling electric vehicle production, flagged the lithium shortage several times during Tesla’s earnings call this week.

“I’d certainly encourage entrepreneurs out there who are looking for opportunities to get into the lithium business,” Musk said Wednesday.

“We think we’re going to need to help the industry on this front.”

One person who’s been warning of a lithium shortage for a while is Joe Lowry, a somewhat cantankerous expert who regularly draws mining bigwigs and analysts to his podcast.

Known in mining circles as “Mr. Lithium,” the North Carolina resident has been in the business for decades.

Since striking out on his own in 2012, Lowry has been a consultant to mining companies and an investor. He owns shares of companies including Tesla and Lithium Americas.

I’ve been talking with Lowry to wrap my head around the EV battery supply chain and have summarized our conversation in Q&A form.

Here’s an excerpt, edited for length and clarity.

You wrote a paper at the end of 2019 saying demand for lithium would outstrip supply. It looks like lithium prices have started to reflect that. What do you see?

In the next two years, even though there will be significant growth in supply, it will be less than demand, so the gap will just continue to grow.

It’s simple math. It’s like, the bus in front of me is going 50 miles per hour, I’m going 45 mph, but I’m saying I’m gonna catch it in 2025.

I believe there will be a day in the future when lithium is in oversupply, but it won’t be in this decade.

Why will it take so long?

You can build a battery factory in two years, but it takes up to a decade to bring on a lithium project.

It’s not a commodity; it’s a specialty chemical. Lithium is often compared with iron ore or other major commodities, and it behaves nothing like that.

The auto industry is just finally figuring that out. Lithium qualification for an auto company can take over a year.

Why?

It has to go through cycle testing. If you’re going to put something into a car that could ignite if the chemistry is wrong, you kind of want to know.

Is the auto industry prepared for that long lead time?

I take everybody’s gigawatt-hour projections and take them back to the lithium required to do it, and most of them are so far over what the lithium industry can supply. I don’t believe demand is going to be destroyed. Ultimately, I believe it’s just deferred.

The additional production this year will be less than 150,000 tons. So then, it’s who gets the material? Whose EV models don’t get made?

In a 2050 scenario, there’s time for everything to happen that needs to happen.

But in 2030, it just isn’t going to happen. Just look at the mess we’re in from a lithium supply standpoint with less than 10% EV penetration.

Lowry’s predictions chime with others assessments. BloombergNEF forecasts prices of lithium carbonate and hydroxide — the main lithium chemicals used in battery production — will be higher still by 2030 as a result of projected supply deficits.

www.mining.com/category/battery-metals/

Musk’s tweets fuel mining industry’s hopes of a buyout by Tesla

Elon Musk’s recent musings that high lithium prices may force Tesla to make its own supply of the electric vehicle battery metal have fueled hopes by some that the billionaire entrepreneur will instead opt for a buyout of an established mining company.
blank.gif

The auto giant already has supply contracts for nickel, lithium and a range of other EV metals from suppliers across the globe.

But it needs more, and industry analysts say Tesla may soon realize that building a mine or processing facility from scratch is not as easy as it sounds and the automaker should instead consider a buyout.

“Price of lithium has gone to insane levels! Tesla might actually have to get into the mining & refining directly at scale unless costs improve,” the Tesla CEO tweeted earlier this month.

Lithium prices are up more than 80% this year and nickel prices have gyrated heavily amid trading turmoil in London.

The billionaire entrepreneur had already complained about “significant” jumps in raw materials costs for Tesla, which has raised prices of its vehicles twice this year.

“Should management be serious about entering the lithium space, we think the most likely route would be an acquisition of an existing lithium company,” said Morningstar lithium analyst Seth Goldstein.

Shares of junior miner Lithium Corp. jumped more than 30% on April 13 after unsubstantiated reports that it and its Nevada brine deposits had been sold to Tesla, a rumor the company denied. Shares of larger lithium producers, such as Albemarle, reacted little to Musk’s tweets.

“Elon, if you want to talk to us, come and say hello,” said Tom Lewis, Lithium’s CEO, who said the buyout rumors likely were an “orchestrated plan to pump (our shares) up a bit.”

Amid the minerals talk, Musk last week made a $43-billion cash offer to buy social networking platform Twitter. :eek:

“If you’re going to spend $43-billion and you run Tesla and you understand better than anyone Tesla’s future lithium needs, you might want to spend a lot less and buy a lithium company or two,” said lithium industry consultant Joe Lowry.

‘A huge disconnect’​

Tesla has never operated a mine, but it is building a lithium processing plant in Texas and may need to build a nickel refinery.

“There’s a huge disconnect in this country about metals refining,” said Corby Anderson, who teaches metallurgy at the Colorado School of Mines.

“And yet the public expects the materials to be available to do the things they want.”

US President Joe Biden said this month he would use a Cold War-era piece of legislation to boost government funding for metals processing, though not for new mines.

In January, Tesla said it will buy 75,000 tonnes of nickel concentrate from Talon Metals Corp’s proposed Tamarack mine project in Minnesota, starting in 2026.

Musk asked the mining industry in 2020 to produce more nickel “in an environmentally sensitive way,” and Talon has said it has plans to honor that request.

But it is not clear what Tesla will do with that nickel concentrate, which needs to be smelted into a product known as matte and further refined before it can be used to build battery parts.

The United States does not have any facilities to do that processing, with the exception of a small salt byproduct facility.

Canada has a handful of nickel smelters and refineries, though it mines more than those facilities can handle and relies on refineries in Norway and the United Kingdom.

That means Tesla would either have to build its own facilities to process nickel, or rely on overseas companies, thus boosting the nickel’s carbon footprint.

Musk has hinted the company may have a new method to turn nickel into the material needed for battery cathodes, but has not provided details. Tesla did not respond to a request for comment.

The automaker also recently struck a deal with Brazilian mining company Vale to supply nickel, according to media reports.

Lithium​

For lithium, Tesla is building a plant in Texas that will convert spodumene concentrate – processed rock containing the metal – into lithium hydroxide, a key building block for EV batteries.

The automaker applied for Texas permits for its facility last year, according to state records, though it is unclear when that facility will open.

A lithium supply deal with Piedmont Lithium was put on hold last year. Tesla also has lithium supply deals with Liontown Resources, Ganfeng Lithium and Core Lithium.

Musk’s tweets, analysts said, are likely born from a desire to push down spot lithium prices. Most lithium producers, though, prefer to sell the metal on long-term contracts with fixed prices that help them plan for future demand.

Livent and Albemarle, which are also Tesla suppliers, have said they will not build more processing plants if automakers fail to sign long-term deals.

www.mining.com/category/battery-metals/

Musk wants more lithium for EVs but very few places have it

1650720302415.png

Elon Musk wants more lithium, but only a handful of countries can supply the material key to the electrification of transportation, at least for now.

AVZ Monster.jpg

AVZ # ! #.jpg

Africa !.jpg

The-future-is-Electric.png

Mining.png

Food for thought

Frank

Reactions: 18 users
Top Bottom