AVZ Discussion 2022

CashKing

Regular
I've always been at odds with the notion that work is life.
Wage slavery in modern society came to my awareness about 10 years ago... the trap most of us are stuck in, in this life.
I think the reality of that trap is so horrid that we instead (and probably inteligently) celebrate careers and working life.
But I know it's a contradiction, if no one worked, we wouldn't have any of the good stuff, no expertise, no services.

Cashy, how about you upgrade from quiet quitting to completely quitting? :)
I did in Feb, and I just fucking love it!
I think I recall you saying you got in at a pretty good price.
I'm going to be optimistic here and assume we get our of suspension and continue upwards trajectory on the SP and I don't have to go back to bloody work again, lol.

I was in health care, and man... working through covid, infected clients, staff, and wearing full PPE during outbreaks...
I truely can not comprehend how those in hospitals worked permenantly in all that, through summer too!
But it made me acutely aware of how trapped I was....
but...
I had AVZ shares, a fair bit of them too, and very cheap. I held onto that hope and kept adding to my position $2000 at a time.

That's what AVZ is all about my dudes.

Freedom! Real freedom.
If anyone need a nice break it’s you guys in health care.

I take my AVZ Hat off to You guys and gals that are needed day after day hour after hour in that sector. 🙏 Thank you.

Let’s not be trapped anymore huh, I’ve been around since 2017 as you know and I’m glad it’s finally happening. I wish you the best bud 👍

GLTAH

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

CashKing

Regular
I’ve been quiet quitting jobs since I left school and discovered magic mushrooms in the 70’s Cash, I’ve wheeled barrows of bricks and concrete, I re-roofed asbestos roof’s but the only time I’ve ever had to work was when I bought shares in AVZ, finally it looks like I don’t have to quiet quit anymore
You have a fair few years on me Money however I also have ended up seeing Simba in the frangapani trees by the pool in Bali let’s say 😂 It’s been painful the last few years but I think it’s actually sorting it self out, I’ve been waiting on this ML since ahhh shit I forgot l, back to work for you for a little bit but not long & I wish you the best.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I've always been at odds with the notion that work is life.
Wage slavery in modern society came to my awareness about 10 years ago... the trap most of us are stuck in, in this life.
I think the reality of that trap is so horrid that we instead (and probably inteligently) celebrate careers and working life.
But I know it's a contradiction, if no one worked, we wouldn't have any of the good stuff, no expertise, no services.

Cashy, how about you upgrade from quiet quitting to completely quitting? :)
I did in Feb, and I just fucking love it!
I think I recall you saying you got in at a pretty good price.
I'm going to be optimistic here and assume we get our of suspension and continue upwards trajectory on the SP and I don't have to go back to bloody work again, lol.

I was in health care, and man... working through covid, infected clients, staff, and wearing full PPE during outbreaks...
I truely can not comprehend how those in hospitals worked permenantly in all that, through summer too!
But it made me acutely aware of how trapped I was....
but...
I had AVZ shares, a fair bit of them too, and very cheap. I held onto that hope and kept adding to my position $2000 at a time.

That's what AVZ is all about my dudes.

Freedom! Real freedom.
Hey Azzler, your post was a real inspiration for me.

I too work in health care and have spent the past 12 years looking after people during the worst day or night of their lives.
I believe that I have gone over and above for each and every patient during this time but slowly but surely have become worn down by the demands of people and the system.
Around the middle of last year fate had my path collide with a certain ‘Earle of Barrow’ and thanks to his generosity of spirit
(..or pity at seeing another nearly broken ambo!) I began my investing journey as a way to become unshackled from debt and switch to part time within five years.
AVZ have truly been one heck of a journey thus far but I’m in for the long haul.
Your post just gave me the boost that I needed to keep believing in my near term developer/ producers.
Right, now I’m off to accumulate some more IXR!
Thanks again Azzler (and Earle).
BTW: Dazmac, how are you travelling post COVID

• Love
Reactions: 22 users

CashKing

Regular
Hey Azzler, your post was a real inspiration for me.

I too work in health care and have spent the past 12 years looking after people during the worst day or night of their lives.
I believe that I have gone over and above for each and every patient during this time but slowly but surely have become worn down by the demands of people and the system.
Around the middle of last year fate had my path collide with a certain ‘Earle of Barrow’ and thanks to his generosity of spirit
(..or pity at seeing another nearly broken ambo!) I began my investing journey as a way to become unshackled from debt and switch to part time within five years.
AVZ have truly been one heck of a journey thus far but I’m in for the long haul.
Your post just gave me the boost that I needed to keep believing in my near term developer/ producers.
Right, now I’m off to accumulate some more IXR!
Thanks again Azzler (and Earle).
BTW: Dazmac, how are you travelling post COVID
So which one of you guys is anush ?

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 5 users

Frank

Top 20
*Fyi, I see where our very own "Little Twig" who became a Mining "Rock Star" sees value in Africa, as

Fortescue JV signs exploration agreement for Belinga project in Gabon

Australia’s Fortescue Metals Group announced that its majority-owned joint venture, Ivindo Iron, has signed an exploration agreement with the Gabon Government for the Belinga iron ore project.

The agreement comprises key commercial and legal terms for the exploration of the Belinga project, allowing the grant of exploration licences to the JVfor a 4,500km² area.

Fortescue said the agreement also envisages a $90m exploration programme at the Belinga iron ore project, over a period of three years.

Fortescue Metals owns an 80% stake in Ivindo Iron while the remaining 20% is held by the Africa Transformation and Industrialisation Fund, an Africa-focused investment fund.

According to the Gabon Mining Code, the government will receive a 10% free carry interest in Ivindo Iron, upon the grant of the exploitation licences.

On securing the licences, Ivindo Iron will start exploration and studies on the project.

The exploration work will initially focus on determining the Belinga iron ore deposit’s potential size and grade, as well as assessing logistics solutions.

Fortescue CEO Elizabeth Gaines said: “Fortescue is committed to its strategic pillars of investing in the long-term sustainability of the iron ore business and investing in growth.

Consistent with this approach, Fortescue is pursuing global opportunities in iron ore that align with our strategy and expertise.

“We welcome the opportunity to assess the Belinga Project, which we believe is potentially one of the world’s largest undeveloped, high-grade hematite deposits.”

1661260366022.png

Located in north-eastern Gabon, the Belinga deposit was discovered in 1955 and was subject to exploration in the 1970s, which resulted in the identification of high iron and low contaminant mineralisation.

Gabon Minister of Mines Elvis Ossindji said: “Holding a priority position in our country’s transformation and economy diversification strategy, this project has witnessed an acceleration in order to create added value and hundreds of jobs in our country.

“The culmination of the Belinga iron project with the Australian mining company Fortescue Metals Group and ATIF aims to strengthen the mining sector’s contribution to a thriving economy while making Gabon a benchmark mining destination.”

Made in Africa !.jpg

*To Remind,

Lessons from the Masters: Here’s how Twiggy Forrest spreads his investments

Andrew Forrest is the billionaire more than any other whose rapid ascent to the top of Australian society tells the story of the 2000s mining boom.

Chastened from the near collapse of Anaconda Nickel, Forrest reemerged in 2003 as the chairman and CEO at Fortescue Metals Group, a penny stock founded on the relatively simple premise that China wanted more iron ore than Australian majors could export.

The former stockbroker and onetime alpaca farmer who grew up on Minderoo Station in WA’s north was proven right.

Despite the inferior grade of the ore mined from the vast swathes of WA’s Pilbara pegged by Fortescue, China’s economy and steel industry was in a rapid phase of growth.

Forrest, who has maintained a more than 36% slice and high degree of control over Fortescue for a number of years even after he initially stepped down as CEO in 2011, profited.

He spun his chunky dividend cheques into a range of investments, philanthropic gestures and political influence.

He now has a whiff of the ‘teal independents’ about him, a reflection of the wave of inner-city anger over climate change that turned long-time Liberal voters into haters in Saturday’s election.

Fresh off completing a PhD in Marine Ecology with the help of his own ocean research vessel — a little out of reach of his ramen-rich colleagues — Forrest reemerged as the main man at FMG by denouncing himself as a carbon emitter and announcing plans to make the miner a global leader in clean energy.

The radical upheaval brought by the change in direction, formation of Fortescue Future Industries and resignation of FMG CEO Elizabeth Gaines have brought Forrest back into the fold as its executive chairman, a move announced last week.

Assessments of his wealth vary.

It last clocked in at a net worth of $27.25 billion on last year’s AFR rich list, $30.5 billion according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, and $27 billion according to Forbes.

One thing is for certain, Forrest’s wealth has skyrocketed in the two years since the pandemic began as iron ore prices hit record highs.

With China’s economy in slowdown mode and uncertainty around FMG’s dramatic move into ‘green hydrogen’, are there other Twiggy stock picks delivering more upside?

Where is Twiggy invested on the ASX?​

Twiggy’s investments are dominated by his stake in Fortescue, now the third largest mining company on the ASX worth upwards of $63 billion at today’s price.

The fourth biggest iron ore exporter in the world with record guidance of 185-188Mt of shipments in FY2022, it is one of the greatest stories of value creation in Australian business history.

Under the direction of CEO Nev Power from 2011-2018, the debt-saddled company rode out the storm of the mining downturn by rivalling and in some cases beating global supermajors BHP and Rio Tinto for unit costs, a position that helped Twiggy’s FMG thrive when benchmark prices hit records upwards of US$230/t last year.

It is not just Twiggy and his executives who did well out of the FMG deal.

The reclusive Kie Chie Wong, the Australian-based son of a Sarawak timber milling dynasty who made a $1m investment in Fortescue in 2003 (then worth over a quarter of the company), has also been reported as a billionaire from his minority stake.

On Monday we assessed the value of Forrest’s 36.5% stake, largely held through his family company Tattarang, at $23.2 billion, making up well over 95% of his listed portfolio wealth.

As with many billionaire investors, a vast amount of his wealth is held outside public markets, including the dividend cheques regularly delivered by FMG (tallying a dizzying $4 billion in FY2021), property, private mining and energy companies, agriculture, cattle stations, and the Harvey Beef and RM Williams businesses among other ventures.

But Forrest’s entry into a number of listed entities has sparked interest and excitement over the years.

The bulk of Forrest’s ASX investments sans FMG are now held in Tattarang, the rebranded investment arm of Minderoo split off and renamed to distinguish itself from Forrest’s philanthropic interests in the Minderoo Foundation.

Within that diverse set of investments is Wyloo Metals, Forrest’s private mining company.

Given his role establishing the Murrin Murrin nickel mine with Anaconda, Australia’s first nickel laterite operation, it is unsurprising Wyloo and Forrest have focused more attention on nickel than any other commodity.

Forrest’s reemergence in the nickel game came in 2007.

In a nod to his stockbroking past and embrace of Australiana he became the chairman and main shareholder of Poseidon Nickel, aiming to revive the Windarra mine that was at the centre of the original Poseidon bubble in the 1960s — a seminal moment in Australian capital markets history for both good and bad reasons.

While Poseidon is finally getting close to resuming production not at Windarra but at the old Black Swan mine near Kalgoorlie, Forrest recently shaved his stake down to under 5%, leaving US private equity group Black Mountain Metals as the largest investor.

But Wyloo has emerged as one of the clans in Australian nickel’s Game of Thrones, amassing the largest stake in near-term Kambalda nickel producer Mincor Resources and being kingmaker in IGO’s successful takeover bid for Western Areas.

Now that nickel is shifting from its traditional use in stainless steel to becoming a critical component of electric vehicles, expect the clean, green Forrest to take an even stronger interest.

That was demonstrated in his high stakes battle for control of Canada’s Noront Resources last year against BHP, now privately controlled by Wyloo, when BHP was unable to match Wyloo and Forrest’s final offer of C$1.10 a share, a massive 47% above BHP’s C75c bid.

Wyloo will spend C$25 million delivering feasibility studies to investigate the development of Noront’s assets in Canada’s remote Ring of Fire nickel district.

In the energy space Forrest is traversing with Fortescue Future Industries, and has shifted his onshore gas explorer Squadron Energy into the green energy field.

Through Squadron, Forrest is a major investor in the multi-billion dollar Sun Cable project alongside Mike Cannon-Brookes.

Squadron was the joint leader of a $210 million Series B raise in March for the project, which is aiming to take solar energy generated in the NT and transport it via a high voltage direct current cable to Darwin and Singapore.

Forrest was first revealed as a substantial investor in Mincor in late 2019, amid a series of fundraising rounds the company launched to back the restart of its Kambalda nickel operations.

According to ASX filings Forrest began amassing his stake in August 2019, when MCR was worth around 55c.

While he added to his position subsequently, the iron ore magnate would be well in the money, with a surge in nickel prices, the growth of the EV market and MCR’s successful restart of mining propelled the $1.17 billion company to a $2.43 share price as of this week.

RBC reckons it could run further, with ore now going through BHP’s Kambalda concentrator and cash flows expected this quarter.

The investment bank has a $2.75 price target on the WA nickel miner.

#Oaktree.jpg

If it's true, Like they say, about "Trees & Shade " and that also from "Little Things Big Things Grow" (y)

Then what happens when the "Little Thing" is a Monster of Biblical Proportions to start with :unsure:

AVZ / Manono has the potential to be the Biggest Tree on the Block for Decades to come atm

Food for thought on "Sitting in the Shade" relaxing with your feet up in retirement one day :)

Would Nigel like to be sitting in the shade under a Tree in the DRC, you bet your arse he would(y)

AVZ the next FMG / BHP :unsure:

Tim will tell ;)

Cheers

Frank :cool:

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 38 users
Screenshot_20220824-075703_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Reactions: 19 users
Rail infrastructure is making progress which is great to see. For context.

The red pin is Dodoma, the green pin is Kindu and the love pin is Manono.

Screenshot_20220824-080008_Maps.jpg

There was a member here @thegh0stwithin from memory, who had a background in rail and had some knowledge of rail systems in Africa. Mate if it was you, what are your thoughts on this route? This could be an entirely new transport solution to what was proposed in the DFS, wouldn't be surprised as much water has gone under the bridge since then.

Screenshot_20220824-080519_Gallery.jpg

Nothing official has been released as far as I can see for us, just some mentions of Lithium and a couple of AVZ tags. I'll see if I can find some articles.

Last edited:
Re our transport solutions which state:

“A due diligence study for the transport route options was conducted by the Australian based railway consultancy Infraology Pty Ltd (Infraology).

Four potential concentrate product transport routes were identified during the study. The Feasibility Study concluded to use two of these transport routes from Manono.
The first is to Dar es Salaam in Tanzania through Zambia, using the Tanzania and Zambia Railway Authority (TAZARA) rail.
The TAZARA rail is equally owned by the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of Zambia. The TAZARA railway will require upgrade and maintenance to reduce the frequency of derailments. The route includes 340 km of unsealed road to the DRC State owned SNCC rail allocated at Kabondo Dianda. From Kabondo Dianda there is 772 km of rail to Ndola (in Zambia) and then 165 km of rail to Kapiri Mposhi on the Zambian Railways Limited (ZRL) rail which is wholly owned by the Republic of Zambia. From Kapiri Mposhi to Dar es Salaam is 1,860 km on the TAZARA rail. The route has two border crossings between the DRC, Zambia, and Tanzania. Figure 5 shows the proposed transport route in red.”

View attachment 14569

The good news is in a recent article (9 August 2022) we see that the TAZARA Railway will get the needed upgrade:

August 9, 2022
Written by Simon Artymiuk
Tazara_crossing_bridge.jpg

Tanzania's president says the Tazara railway in its current 1067mm gauge form is not delivering what is expected of it, hence the plan reached with Zambia to upgrade it to standard gauge.
Photo Credit: Richard Stupart/Wikipedia Commons
TANZANIA and Zambia have agreed to upgrade the Tazara railway that connects the two countries as part of measures to improve bilateral ties.
The 1160km cross-border railway linking Kapiri-Mposhi in Zambia with the port of Dar es Salaam in Tanzania will now be upgraded to standard gauge through a partnership with the private sector and development partners.
Tanzania’s president, Ms Samia Suluhu Hassan, says the 1067mm gauge, single-track Tazara line does not deliver what is expected of it and an upgrade is needed to open up new business opportunities along the route.
“In today’s world, railway is standard gauge,” says Hassan. “So through a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) we have agreed to come up with a project to improve the Tazara railway to that level.”
Tanzania is also constructing a 1219km standard-gauge line from Dar es Salaam to the city of Mwanza on the southern shores of Lake Victoria.
Known as the Tanzania Standard Gauge Railway, the system is being designed to link Tanzania with Rwanda and Uganda, and continuing to Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo. The work is included in the East African Railway Master Plan aimed at rejuvenating the region’s railways and increasing efficiency and speed while lowering transport of freight costs and furthering economic development. The railway will use electric power and transport of goods to Uganda from Mwanza will be by lake ferries.
As of April 2022, the 300km Phase 1 from Dar es Salaam to Morogoro had been completed while work on the 426km Phase 2 Morogoro – Makutopora, 294km Phase 3 Lot 1 Makutupora – Tabora, and 341km Phase 5 Isaka - Mwanza sections was in progress. Phase 5 is being built by China Civil Engineering Construction (CCEC) and China Railway Construction Company (CRCC).
In July 2022 Tanzania Railway Corporation (TRC) signed a $US 900.1m contract with Yapi Merkezi for the construction of the 130km Phase 3 Lot 2 Tabora – Isaka section, along with its 35km of branches, the same company having previously won a $US 1.9bn contract for Phase 3 Lot 1.
TRC has also signed a contract with Korean national operator Korail to provide training In rail construction and operations following the line’s opening.
The first locomotives being used for testing of the electrified Phase 1 of the Tanzania SGR are former class 1014 locomotives purchased from Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB).
Africa, Freight, Infrastructure, Main line, Passenger, Policy, Track
Tags: Electrification, SGR, Standard gauge, Tanzania, Tazara, Zambia
Completely read over this part. Great article mate!

The 1160km cross-border railway linking Kapiri-Mposhi in Zambia with the port of Dar es Salaam in Tanzania will now be upgraded to standard gauge through a partnership with the private sector and development partners.

JAG

Top 20
1661294741474.png

• Fire

JAG

Top 20
@$2 I’ll be ramping up my quiet quitting at work I reckon 😉, for those that don’t know it’s a thing 👍 & was it just on the news so Google it 😂

Pretty sure JAG has been doing it for a while & maybe even winenut and a few others but I really hope most of us can achieve this goal soon ✅
GLTAH
You know me too well 😂 Yes, I have been preparing for this for sometime even anticipating $2. The party will definitely be at the shack🍻

Attachments

• 90A8BF46-D06A-4E49-867C-D31B182C94C3.jpeg
    90A8BF46-D06A-4E49-867C-D31B182C94C3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • 04E4D06D-3463-462D-AC50-0E50B3849C15.jpeg
    04E4D06D-3463-462D-AC50-0E50B3849C15.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • D03CCFA9-47D0-4572-8285-AF883A5A5BD5.jpeg
    D03CCFA9-47D0-4572-8285-AF883A5A5BD5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • 41CBD009-3E38-4726-ABF5-DEC66CA3E463.jpeg
    41CBD009-3E38-4726-ABF5-DEC66CA3E463.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users

JAG

Top 20
1661295546081.png

Reactions: 26 users

JAG

Top 20
1661296625509.png

• Fire
  • Wow
Reactions: 18 users

Retrobyte

Hates a beer
My birthday on 1 September is starting to look more exciting than birthdays usually are at my age

• Love
Reactions: 24 users

hedrox

Regular
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 9.31.43 am.png

• Thinking
Reactions: 11 users

Frank

Top 20
My birthday on 1 September is starting to look more exciting than birthdays usually are at my age

I hope it's a BFS Birthday Bash Retro style :cool:

fingers-crossed.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

JAG

Top 20
1661300310358.png

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 13 users

JAG

Top 20
1661300438405.png

• Wow
  • Sad

Dazmac66

Regular
I am sick to death of hearing about all these corrupt pricks! That smug looking Eckhof dude needs karma to come calling. It will be a fine day when we hear the DRC Government have told all these opportunistic vultures to F#ck off back under their rocks. If the level of greed and disregard for the wellbeing of the long suffering people was made public you would imagine some machette justice being handed out! All power to Felix and his campaign to eradicate corruption - brave, dangerous work that none of us can really appreciate while observing from afar.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 34 users

JAG

Top 20
1661305372659.png

• Thinking
Reactions: 4 users

JAG

Top 20
1661306631226.png

Reactions: 8 users