AVZ Discussion 2022

Frank

Top 20
I absolutely agree with you
The Attorney General at the Court of Cassation wants to prosecute Jean-Marc Kabund

The remarks made by the national deputy and former first vice-president of the National Assembly, Jean-Marc Kabund, during his press conference on Monday July 18, turned against him.

This Friday evening, July 22, the Attorney General at the Court of Cassation indicated, in a press release, his desire to prosecute him for public insults, insulting the Head of State and spreading false rumors.

To do this, the Attorney General has lodged a request with the President of the National Assembly, Christophe Mbosso, to lift the immunities of MP Jean-Marc Kabund, in order to allow the Court to judge him.

If convicted, the former first vice-president of the National Assembly should serve a prison sentence.

www.mediacongo.net

Days of our DRC Lives.jpeg

• Thinking
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users

cruiser51

Top 20
Great pickup. I hope he has got his back covered as well
It is sad to say, but maybe a Ned Kelly head cover might help too.

Going through social media, it appears there are a lot of people who would love to drink each others blood for breakfast juice.

Jean Marc Kabund is highly upset that his simple little house in the Kinshasa outer suburbs (his words) paid for by the DRC government is looked at being inappropriate by the boss.
He doesn't understand what is his and what is the state's property. That is what Felix is dealing with.
Jean Marc sees it as payment because he was Felix's friend and helped him to give Kabila the flick.
One could say payment for rendered services. The M of M apparently is in his camp.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I'd be willing to donate 10% of my profits, but (a) would have to get wife's agreement 1st; then (b) I'm not planning to sell until 10+bags - could be year(s) away; and (c) I'd have to be sure my 10% was going entirely to those in poverty in the DRC who need it the most. Realistically, meeting all 3 of my conditions will be tough. Br

• Thinking
Reactions: 6 users

CHB

Regular
The Attorney General at the Court of Cassation wants to prosecute Jean-Marc Kabund

The remarks made by the national deputy and former first vice-president of the National Assembly, Jean-Marc Kabund, during his press conference on Monday July 18, turned against him.

This Friday evening, July 22, the Attorney General at the Court of Cassation indicated, in a press release, his desire to prosecute him for public insults, insulting the Head of State and spreading false rumors.

To do this, the Attorney General has lodged a request with the President of the National Assembly, Christophe Mbosso, to lift the immunities of MP Jean-Marc Kabund, in order to allow the Court to judge him.

If convicted, the former first vice-president of the National Assembly should serve a prison sentence.

www.mediacongo.net

View attachment 12366

Wonder if that'll make him like a martyr
I thinking about if it makes sense to send a email to the president’s office. Of course not in the way: dear president please save us all and especially avz.

much more with fundamental facts and my view of why i invested in avz. at this point a friend who is a historian in african history would help me. At least I think he's a lot quicker than me when it comes to researching factual arguments. but i also want to explain my view of the world, my wishes and my experiences. in no way I want to ask for help for avz. To be honest, after I've had quite a bit of time to think about it, I don't care who is running the mine. as long as the population benefits from it. i have food, a bed, enough money to take care of my family and don't have to think about where to get water for today.

Of course there is a high probability that he will never read it or will think what is the point of this nonsense, but I think I have nothing to lose. At the moment I'm not sure if I should really write it. Maybe I'm probably still waiting for the next extension on Friday :D

i would also mention in the text that i would donate 50% of my profits and if it ever comes to that, 100% of my dividends to charities in drc.

I don't have to drive a lamborghini, don't need a million villa. If I could help hundreds of people, that would be worth more than any object in the world

at this point i would like to ask you if there are others who would be willing to donate?

maybe you also say: don't do that. But even in the biggest machine, a small cog can make a difference. Even there is a 99,9999999999% this would only take place in a windows desktop waste bin.
But in this case it would be at least one of the loveliest documents this waste bin has ever seen. :)

Start by saying that everyone can do as they wish.

But to me it sounds desperate and unnecessary and I feel, a bad reflection for AVZ.

Especially when you start talking profits and donating profits.

Reactions: 14 users

Frank

Top 20

Auction of oil and gas blocks in the DRC: Modero Nsimba refutes the denunciations of Greenpeace​

The Minister of Tourism, Modero Nsimba responded to the international environmental protection NGO, Greenpeace, which invited, in its press release of Tuesday July 19, the oil and gas majors to refrain from buying rights to 27 oil blocks and 3 gas blocks auctioned by the authorities of the Democratic Republic of Congo in order to protect biodiversity.

It was during the government briefing on endangered protected areas held on Wednesday 20 July. The Minister of Tourism denounced the attitude of the NGO Greenpeace which, according to him, is in the process of attacking calls for tenders which have not yet been launched.

“We cannot understand that Greenpeace comes to question the intentions of the Government. Because we have not yet launched the calls for tenders. The Ministry of Hydrocarbons has promised to launch the calls for tenders at the end of the month. where do these questions that Greenpeace is asking come from?

It’s a way of subjugating a government”, denounced Modero Nsimba.

“In letters sent to oil companies around the world, Greenpeace is warning against this ominous auction, which could take place to the detriment of biodiversity and the global climate,” said writes the organization.

Tenders for the allocation of rights to these blocks will be launched on July 28, the Congolese Minister of Hydrocarbons, Didier Budimbu, announced on Monday.

The oil blocks concerned are spread over several regions of the country: three in the coastal basin, nine in the central Cuvette, eleven in the Graben of Tanganyika and four in the Albertine Graben.

The three gas blocks are located in Lake Kivu.

Auction of Congolese oil & gas blocks: Patrick Muyaya reminds Greenpeace that DRC has rights to exploit its wealth​

The Minister of Communication, Patrick Muyaya insisted on the need for the Democratic Republic of Congo to exploit its oil and gas blocks in order to allow the country to benefit from the advantages of its wealth.

During the joint briefing with the Ministry of Tourism, held on Wednesday July 20, the government spokesperson responded to the denunciations of the international environmental protection NGO, Greenpeace. Patrick Muyaya reminded this NGO that there are current oil drilling techniques that are safe for the ecosystem.

“There are current drilling technologies that make it possible to exploit oil without it destroying the ecosystem. This is what is done in several developed countries. We must not be scared by asking ourselves to remain in the situation of poverty despite our oil under the pretext of saving the world”, declared Patrick Muyaya.

The government spokesman made it clear that the Democratic Republic of Congo has the right to exploit all its wealth for the benefit of its people. Especially since the country is facing aggression from negative forces, a great mobilization of resources is needed to strengthen the Congolese army, he said.

“Today, to ensure the rise of our armed forces, we must be able to mobilize resources. Why must we forsake the possibilities of resources to give us the power to enforce our national sovereignty. Why should we hesitate to use what we have because there are NGOs that will move to say things?

The Government is supposed to find solutions to the problems of the population. We are not going to be made scared,” said Patrick Muyaya.

“In letters sent to oil companies around the world, Greenpeace is warning against this ominous auction, which could take place to the detriment of biodiversity and the global climate,” said writes the organization.

Tenders for the allocation of rights to these blocks will be launched on July 28, the Congolese Minister of Hydrocarbons, Didier Budimbu, announced on Monday.

*Can someone remind Patrick about the DRC / AVZ / Manono being a "Win-Win" / "Solution" please :rolleyes:

AVZ # ! #.jpg

cash-cow.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

Frank

Top 20
  • Love

wombat74

Top 20
I thinking about if it makes sense to send a email to the president’s office. Of course not in the way: dear president please save us all and especially avz.

much more with fundamental facts and my view of why i invested in avz. at this point a friend who is a historian in african history would help me. At least I think he's a lot quicker than me when it comes to researching factual arguments. but i also want to explain my view of the world, my wishes and my experiences. in no way I want to ask for help for avz. To be honest, after I've had quite a bit of time to think about it, I don't care who is running the mine. as long as the population benefits from it. i have food, a bed, enough money to take care of my family and don't have to think about where to get water for today.

Of course there is a high probability that he will never read it or will think what is the point of this nonsense, but I think I have nothing to lose. At the moment I'm not sure if I should really write it. Maybe I'm probably still waiting for the next extension on Friday :D

i would also mention in the text that i would donate 50% of my profits and if it ever comes to that, 100% of my dividends to charities in drc.

I don't have to drive a lamborghini, don't need a million villa. If I could help hundreds of people, that would be worth more than any object in the world

at this point i would like to ask you if there are others who would be willing to donate?

maybe you also say: don't do that. But even in the biggest machine, a small cog can make a difference. Even there is a 99,9999999999% this would only take place in a windows desktop waste bin.
But in this case it would be at least one of the loveliest documents this waste bin has ever seen. :)
Here's my letter : Hurry up and get your shit together and sort this crap out . Stop dicking AVZ around and do your fking job . Yours Sincerely Wombat 74 . IMO

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 35 users
Here's my letter : Hurry up and get your shit together and sort this crap out . Stop dicking AVZ around and do your fking job . Yours Sincerely Wombat 74 . IMO
You won't 🤭😬😏

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 6 users

cruiser51

Top 20

Auction of oil and gas blocks in the DRC: Modero Nsimba refutes the denunciations of Greenpeace​

The Minister of Tourism, Modero Nsimba responded to the international environmental protection NGO, Greenpeace, which invited, in its press release of Tuesday July 19, the oil and gas majors to refrain from buying rights to 27 oil blocks and 3 gas blocks auctioned by the authorities of the Democratic Republic of Congo in order to protect biodiversity.

It was during the government briefing on endangered protected areas held on Wednesday 20 July. The Minister of Tourism denounced the attitude of the NGO Greenpeace which, according to him, is in the process of attacking calls for tenders which have not yet been launched.

“We cannot understand that Greenpeace comes to question the intentions of the Government. Because we have not yet launched the calls for tenders. The Ministry of Hydrocarbons has promised to launch the calls for tenders at the end of the month. where do these questions that Greenpeace is asking come from?

The oil blocks concerned are spread over several regions of the country: three in the coastal basin, nine in the central Cuvette, eleven in the Graben of Tanganyika and four in the Albertine Graben.

Auction of Congolese oil & gas blocks: Patrick Muyaya reminds Greenpeace that DRC has rights to exploit its wealth​

The Minister of Communication, Patrick Muyaya insisted on the need for the Democratic Republic of Congo to exploit its oil and gas blocks in order to allow the country to benefit from the advantages of its wealth.

During the joint briefing with the Ministry of Tourism, held on Wednesday July 20, the government spokesperson responded to the denunciations of the international environmental protection NGO, Greenpeace. Patrick Muyaya reminded this NGO that there are current oil drilling techniques that are safe for the ecosystem.

“There are current drilling technologies that make it possible to exploit oil without it destroying the ecosystem. This is what is done in several developed countries. We must not be scared by asking ourselves to remain in the situation of poverty despite our oil under the pretext of saving the world”, declared Patrick Muyaya.

The government spokesman made it clear that the Democratic Republic of Congo has the right to exploit all its wealth for the benefit of its people. Especially since the country is facing aggression from negative forces, a great mobilization of resources is needed to strengthen the Congolese army, he said.

“Today, to ensure the rise of our armed forces, we must be able to mobilize resources. Why must we forsake the possibilities of resources to give us the power to enforce our national sovereignty. Why should we hesitate to use what we have because there are NGOs that will move to say things?

The Government is supposed to find solutions to the problems of the population. We are not going to be made scared,” said Patrick Muyaya.

*Can someone remind Patrick about the DRC / AVZ / Manono being a "Win-Win" / "Solution" please :rolleyes:

View attachment 12391

View attachment 12393
The problem the DRC has is that the oil majors look at the AVZ case and think: If we invest in these blocks, drill for oil, spend US$500 million in the drilling campaign and find oil, are we going to be fucked over the same way AVZ is getting fucked over by the thieving hyenas?

Don't forget the DRC is shooting itself in both feet in a way, that only Chinese companies are willing to put any money on the table in the future in the DRC, regardless of its mineral wealth.
Why take the risk, if the investment can easily be taken away by donating a couple of paper bags filled with cheap loot by PRC government backed companies?

It will be interesting to watch the auction for these blocks and how much discount big companies put on investments in the DRC in future. Thinking one can protect its investments, by writing it in contracts with DRC government companies, which according to the mining code have to be involved, is not worth the paper it is written on. Just ask Nigel.

Felix and club really has to understand that their way of doing business, guarantees in future to be more dependent of China.

I would not be surprised if current troubles in the DRC are created by China with its huge presentation there.
The next move will be that China send its troops in to protect "its" interests in copper, cobalt, lithium and gold.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

aon

Regular
No problems with this poster not going to disclose what his posting name is but most long time holders will know who it is, most to 20 holders will know who it is as well and he is well known at Nigels roadshows in a certain state. Very respected on this forum and the other. He is obviously only targeting larger holders for this motion. If he has this concern , then I would accept it is a valid one.
guessing he likes red ferrari's and sexy girls! if he has concerns then yes worth listening to, as no one imo is closer to the inner circle than he by a country mile. :ninja:

Reactions: 4 users

aon

Regular
Can you guys please tell us whats going on????
When not, can you just say it is something good or bad for us?
well my friend dar is good & bad but if we tell you we will have to kill you! :devilish:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Samus

Top 20
relax , shake the frustration out ; for me the run in to the ML was always going to be an absolute mine field ; imo we have passed the valley of death 💀
Relax?

It’s a paradoxical fact: When someone is getting frustrated or stressed out, one of the least effective (and perhaps most annoying) things to say is “Relax.”

Just saying :LOL:

Besides you have never seen anyone so relaxed :
images (21).jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

View attachment 12391

View attachment 12393
Frank, one of the issues surrounding those oil blocks is that one or more are in gorilla sanctuaries, and it would be a shame to see those gorilla's end up on the endangered list (if they aren't already) like our koala's are now, thanks to our previous government not believing in climate change and preserving natural habitats.

It's true though that the DRC should benefit from it's natural resources rather than those arsehole Chinese ripping off their natural resources (and communities) and using child labour in the process. Hopefully Felix has enough backing now to start cleaning up all the pilfering from those big lying Chinese arse wipe companies and the bribed thieving politicians. We might hear more news on some of these corrupt criminals later today and during the week with Felix's cabinet meeting today.

Last edited:
  • Fire

Frank

Top 20
Frank, one of the issues surrounding those oil blocks is that one or more are in gorilla sanctuaries, and it would be a shame to see those gorilla's end up on the endangered list (if they aren't already) like our koala's are now, thanks to our previous government not believing in climate change and preserving natural habitats.

It's true though that the DRC should benefit from it's natural resources rather than those arsehole Chinese ripping off their natural resources (and communities) and using child labour in the process. Hopefully Felix has enough backing now to start cleaning up all the pilfering from those big lying Chinese arse wipe companies and the bribed thieving politicians. We might hear more news on some of these corrupt criminals later today and during the week with Felix's cabinet meeting today.
*Speaking of "Pilfering little Pricks" of the Public Purse, I see where,

Illegal coltan mining in the DRC: Nearly 4 billion US dollars escape the public treasury each year

A report published recently by ENACT Africa, a European Union (EU) project aimed at strengthening the fight against transnational organized crime in Africa, denounces the fact that the activity of armed groups in the eastern part of the DRC, causes the public treasury to lose more than 4 billion US dollars each year due to the illicit exploitation of coltan.

This structure highlights some of the evils that hinder the responsible exploitation of Congolese coltan, in particular the collision of the Congolese State with criminal networks, the exploitation of minors, rape and gender-based violence as well as the destruction of historical heritage and local communities.

The conclusions of the ENACT report attest that a large part of Congolese artisanal coltan production still escapes state control.

The presence of armed groups in several mining areas located in the provinces of North and South Kivu prevents the control authorities from accessing them in order to enforce the regulations in force.

The lack of access to these mining areas is believed to be the basis of child labor, worker insecurity and sometimes sexual violence against women working in the extraction sites.

Even in areas where the government has ease of access, the ENACT Africa report also demonstrates complicit collaboration between the authorities in charge of regulating the extractive activity and the criminal groups operating on the ground, through corruption. .

The report cites the case of SAEMAPE (Assistance and supervision service for artisanal and small-scale mines), created in 2003, and whose dual mission is the control of artisanal operations as well as the development of the sector.

But, the ENACT Africa report says that nearly two decades later, the ills plaguing the sector have increased, as SAEMAPE is said to be content only with paying taxes owed by miners. accuse several months of salary arrears, which obliges them to fall back on the miners, so that they pay.

They are also very present on the mining sites, so that their control missions can have a real impact on the ground.

Concordant sources, who contacted the editorial staff of Mediacongo, affirm that the ENACT Africa report is the result of discussions carried out on the ground, with members of the Ministry of Mines, officials of the Center for Certification, Expertise and Evaluation (CEEC), the Congolese Environment Agency (ACE) and some non-governmental organizations working in the provinces of North and South Kivu.

www.mediacongo.net

Days of our DRC Lives.jpeg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 13 users

Samus

Top 20
Lithium de Manono: a promising project sacrificed on the altar of political interests
-

Manono, a landlocked territory in the province of Tanganyika, only has eyes on the lithium exploitation project that the company Dathcom proposes to develop, with the Australian AVZ as majority shareholder, alongside the Congolese Cominière. Between 2017 and 2021, AVZ took the time to explore the basement of Manono until, in April 2021, it gathered the convincing clues of a lithium deposit estimated at 400 million tonnes with a grade of 1.6% of Lithium.
In May 2021, AVZ, which piloted all the exploration phases with its partner, Cominière, submitted its environmental impact study and its feasibility study to the Mining Registry (CAMI), hoping to acquire the operating permit on as quickly as possible to begin development of the mine. Since then, it's been a black hole.

Not only that the State is slow to issue him the Operating Permit, but other considerations have taken over the project, casting doubt on its implementation. To inquire about the situation, the Congolese NGO "Tous pour le Congo", accompanied by a team of journalists, went down to the territory of Manono to question the actors, as well as the population of this remote territory of Tanganyika. On site in Manono, there are many expectations. Faced with the poverty that gnaws at him, Manono places all his hopes on this lithium project. But, in Kinshasa, the discourse is quite different. Dark hands, surely political, have taken this project hostage, without worrying about the innumerable positive ripple effects that it could generate both in the province of Tanganyika and on the whole of the DRC. What is happening around this project? Did we finally decide to kill the egg hen, sacrificing the people of Manono?
Econews-610-62.jpg

Bishop Vincent de Paul Kwanga Njibu, Bishop of Manono
The territory of Manono is dying, with it the lithium exploitation project on which he has placed all his hopes. Since 2017, the year of the launch of the exploration undertaken by Dathcom, a company formed between the Australian multinational AVZ, in association with the company of the State Portfolio, Cominière, the people of Manono have kept all their breath, now seeing the end of the tunnel for its influence. Five years were necessary for AVZ, leader of this project, to finally arrive at a result. In Manono, lithium, this main component in the manufacture of electric batteries, is indeed there, buried in its basement.
For this remote territory of the province of Tanganyika, the discovery of the lithium deposit with a capacity of 400 million tonnes with a grade of 1.6% was a godsend. Finally, Manono could breathe. But that was without reckoning with Kinshasa's manifest desire to stifle good initiatives.

In reality, all the misfortune began when in May 2021, AVZ and its everyday accomplice, La Cominière, filed their environmental impact study with the Mining Registry, coupled with the feasibility study to obtain the Operating permit (PE). AVZ certainly thought they were doing well, but she couldn't imagine that this was also the beginning of their misfortune. Since then, the EP is not granted to them. Moreover, the shareholding of Dathcom is the subject of a sale in good standing without going through the texts which govern the Joint-venture.
The black hole
What explains this blockage? Why do we refuse to deliver the EP to Dathcom to finally start the operation? Questions that are hard to find answers to.
However, we know that in Kinshasa, we are not prepared to give AVZ a green card to launch into the production of lithium concentrate.
In Manono, no one can explain this blockage either. From the administration of the territory to the Grand Luba of Bakongolo, we no longer understand anything of the torture that is imposed.
The cry of distress from the people of Manono ended up alerting civil society working in the natural resources sector. Accompanied by a group of journalists from Kinshasa, the NGO "Tous pour le Congo" organized, on Monday July 18, 2022, a descent into the territory to understand what is happening behind the lithium project piloted by the Australian AVZ .
Manono is a landlocked territory where the scars of the battle that pitted forces loyal to the RCD/Goma rebels a few years ago are still visible. On the spot, one discovers the vestiges of a territory which radiated at the time of Zaire Etain, which will become Cominière thereafter. But since then, it's been chaos.
In Manono, it is rather gaping holes, proof of the great artisanal mining activity, which attracts against attention. This mining craft uses people of all ages, women, children, young and old. No one is spared.
Testimonials
“It's our new life. The field no longer pays. Even if I have to cultivate, I am not guaranteed to sell the products from my field. Manono is landlocked. It is difficult to evacuate our field products. Our only activity is to dig cassiterite to resell it to MMR (Editor's note: a local mining company that gets its supplies from artisanal workers", said, with a heavy heart, a woman from Manono who was leaving, parcel on the head of an artisanal mine in Manono. She is not the only one. Like others, artisanal mines occupy most of the population of Manono. It is their only way of fighting against precariousness and reduce the angles of poverty.
And when in 2017 AVZ decided to undertake mining exploration in the territory, for the people of Manono, the messiah was finally here. What's worse, when AVZ announced that it had finally discovered the deposit, promising to move on to exploitation as quickly as possible, all of Manono was jubilant.

“When AVZ told us that its research results were conclusive, it was a party in Manono. We tell ourselves that God and the ancestors have heard our prayers. We could finally see the end of the tunnel and think about the development of our territory. But, since AVZ told us this good news, there is nothing on the ground. We are told that it is blocking Kinshasa, which is slow to issue the operating permit. Why, we don't know? However, I, Grand Chief Luba of Bakongolo, and all my people have placed a lot of hope in this project. You have traveled the territory and you have seen the level of poverty. Imagine what this project can bring to Manono, a landlocked territory. That we finally care about ourselves. We are always told that everything must be unblocked from Kinshasa. I appeal to the President of the Republic: help the people of Manono realize their dream. Unleash Manono's lithium project. This is our only hope of achieving development. Send this message to the Head of State", said, speaking in Swahili, Grand Chief Luba Mwilambwe Wasenga Sébastien de Bakongolo, head of the lands where the deposit discovered by Dathcom is located, with the expertise of AVZ .
Econews-610-63.jpg

The administrative office of the territory of Manono
Deputy regional administrator in charge of economic and financial issues, Gratien Kakudji, remains optimistic: “The security situation is calm in Manono. Dathcom, we received it with open arms and the population awaits the realization of this project. But there are concerns as the project has taken a long time to move into the operational phase. Everything happens as if they were still in the preparatory phase. With the population, we are in the process of calming it down, because whatever the length of the night, they say, the day always ends up breaking. For the moment, we have not yet put in place a structure that should serve as an interface. But, whenever there is a problem, we meet with Civil Society to discuss with Dathcom. In the research phase,
As for the Bishop of Manono, Mgr Vincent de Paul Kwanga Njibu, he is impatiently awaiting this project to give new hope to the people of Manono: "We are waiting because the operating permit has not yet been granted to Dathcom for actually start operations. In reality, we lack reliable information regarding the progress of the project. What we are learning is that there is tension between them, the shareholders. But, no one has told us what is really going on. As civil society, we are in trouble. Communication is weak. Neither Cominiere nor AVZ communicates on the project. For us, we believe it is time for the country to take advantage of its natural resources, the people of Manono in the first place. But, there is a vagueness around this affair. Which makes it hard to follow what's going on. For the moment, the territory of Manono is calm. He is no longer classified in the triangle of death”.
Mike Brown, AVZ's exploration director, is of the opinion that everything should settle down in the next few days: "We are waiting for the Exploitation License to develop the 400 million tonnes with a 1.6% lithium. The feasibility study was conclusive. We had undertaken everything with the geologists of La Cominiere, including Alex Mwanabute (2 years old) and Augustin Kibwe Niando (3 years old) starting in 2017. While waiting for the operating permit which will surely come, we are accentuating the construction of the camp and 'other infrastructure'.
Econews-610-64.jpg

Balthazar Tshiseke, CEO of Dathcom
Balthazar Tshiseke, DGA of Dathcom, is confident in the future: “We have big projects which will be grafted onto Manono's lithium. Everything will be done on site. The rehabilitation of the Mpiana-Mwanga power plant, which has been shut down for years, will be rehabilitated. The studies are already finalized. Just like the rehabilitation of the Lubumbashi – Manono road, 650 km long. The Manono airfield runway is also in our plans. In short, we are ready. We are only waiting for Kinshasa's go”.
Manono is still keeping his breath, while waiting for Kinshasa to decide the fate of his lithium, this ore very popular in the electric battery manufacturing industry.

• Love
  • Thinking
Reactions: 50 users

Birdman7

Regular
Lithium de Manono: a promising project sacrificed on the altar of political interests
-

Manono, a landlocked territory in the province of Tanganyika, only has eyes on the lithium exploitation project that the company Dathcom proposes to develop, with the Australian AVZ as majority shareholder, alongside the Congolese Cominière. Between 2017 and 2021, AVZ took the time to explore the basement of Manono until, in April 2021, it gathered the convincing clues of a lithium deposit estimated at 400 million tonnes with a grade of 1.6% of Lithium.
In May 2021, AVZ, which piloted all the exploration phases with its partner, Cominière, submitted its environmental impact study and its feasibility study to the Mining Registry (CAMI), hoping to acquire the operating permit on as quickly as possible to begin development of the mine. Since then, it's been a black hole.

Not only that the State is slow to issue him the Operating Permit, but other considerations have taken over the project, casting doubt on its implementation. To inquire about the situation, the Congolese NGO "Tous pour le Congo", accompanied by a team of journalists, went down to the territory of Manono to question the actors, as well as the population of this remote territory of Tanganyika. On site in Manono, there are many expectations. Faced with the poverty that gnaws at him, Manono places all his hopes on this lithium project. But, in Kinshasa, the discourse is quite different. Dark hands, surely political, have taken this project hostage, without worrying about the innumerable positive ripple effects that it could generate both in the province of Tanganyika and on the whole of the DRC. What is happening around this project? Did we finally decide to kill the egg hen, sacrificing the people of Manono?
Econews-610-62.jpg

The territory of Manono is dying, with it the lithium exploitation project on which he has placed all his hopes. Since 2017, the year of the launch of the exploration undertaken by Dathcom, a company formed between the Australian multinational AVZ, in association with the company of the State Portfolio, Cominière, the people of Manono have kept all their breath, now seeing the end of the tunnel for its influence. Five years were necessary for AVZ, leader of this project, to finally arrive at a result. In Manono, lithium, this main component in the manufacture of electric batteries, is indeed there, buried in its basement.
For this remote territory of the province of Tanganyika, the discovery of the lithium deposit with a capacity of 400 million tonnes with a grade of 1.6% was a godsend. Finally, Manono could breathe. But that was without reckoning with Kinshasa's manifest desire to stifle good initiatives.

In reality, all the misfortune began when in May 2021, AVZ and its everyday accomplice, La Cominière, filed their environmental impact study with the Mining Registry, coupled with the feasibility study to obtain the Operating permit (PE). AVZ certainly thought they were doing well, but she couldn't imagine that this was also the beginning of their misfortune. Since then, the EP is not granted to them. Moreover, the shareholding of Dathcom is the subject of a sale in good standing without going through the texts which govern the Joint-venture.
The black hole
What explains this blockage? Why do we refuse to deliver the EP to Dathcom to finally start the operation? Questions that are hard to find answers to.
However, we know that in Kinshasa, we are not prepared to give AVZ a green card to launch into the production of lithium concentrate.
In Manono, no one can explain this blockage either. From the administration of the territory to the Grand Luba of Bakongolo, we no longer understand anything of the torture that is imposed.
The cry of distress from the people of Manono ended up alerting civil society working in the natural resources sector. Accompanied by a group of journalists from Kinshasa, the NGO "Tous pour le Congo" organized, on Monday July 18, 2022, a descent into the territory to understand what is happening behind the lithium project piloted by the Australian AVZ .
Manono is a landlocked territory where the scars of the battle that pitted forces loyal to the RCD/Goma rebels a few years ago are still visible. On the spot, one discovers the vestiges of a territory which radiated at the time of Zaire Etain, which will become Cominière thereafter. But since then, it's been chaos.
In Manono, it is rather gaping holes, proof of the great artisanal mining activity, which attracts against attention. This mining craft uses people of all ages, women, children, young and old. No one is spared.
Testimonials
“It's our new life. The field no longer pays. Even if I have to cultivate, I am not guaranteed to sell the products from my field. Manono is landlocked. It is difficult to evacuate our field products. Our only activity is to dig cassiterite to resell it to MMR (Editor's note: a local mining company that gets its supplies from artisanal workers", said, with a heavy heart, a woman from Manono who was leaving, parcel on the head of an artisanal mine in Manono. She is not the only one. Like others, artisanal mines occupy most of the population of Manono. It is their only way of fighting against precariousness and reduce the angles of poverty.
And when in 2017 AVZ decided to undertake mining exploration in the territory, for the people of Manono, the messiah was finally here. What's worse, when AVZ announced that it had finally discovered the deposit, promising to move on to exploitation as quickly as possible, all of Manono was jubilant.

“When AVZ told us that its research results were conclusive, it was a party in Manono. We tell ourselves that God and the ancestors have heard our prayers. We could finally see the end of the tunnel and think about the development of our territory. But, since AVZ told us this good news, there is nothing on the ground. We are told that it is blocking Kinshasa, which is slow to issue the operating permit. Why, we don't know? However, I, Grand Chief Luba of Bakongolo, and all my people have placed a lot of hope in this project. You have traveled the territory and you have seen the level of poverty. Imagine what this project can bring to Manono, a landlocked territory. That we finally care about ourselves. We are always told that everything must be unblocked from Kinshasa. I appeal to the President of the Republic: help the people of Manono realize their dream. Unleash Manono's lithium project. This is our only hope of achieving development. Send this message to the Head of State", said, speaking in Swahili, Grand Chief Luba Mwilambwe Wasenga Sébastien de Bakongolo, head of the lands where the deposit discovered by Dathcom is located, with the expertise of AVZ .
Econews-610-63.jpg

Deputy regional administrator in charge of economic and financial issues, Gratien Kakudji, remains optimistic: “The security situation is calm in Manono. Dathcom, we received it with open arms and the population awaits the realization of this project. But there are concerns as the project has taken a long time to move into the operational phase. Everything happens as if they were still in the preparatory phase. With the population, we are in the process of calming it down, because whatever the length of the night, they say, the day always ends up breaking. For the moment, we have not yet put in place a structure that should serve as an interface. But, whenever there is a problem, we meet with Civil Society to discuss with Dathcom. In the research phase,
As for the Bishop of Manono, Mgr Vincent de Paul Kwanga Njibu, he is impatiently awaiting this project to give new hope to the people of Manono: "We are waiting because the operating permit has not yet been granted to Dathcom for actually start operations. In reality, we lack reliable information regarding the progress of the project. What we are learning is that there is tension between them, the shareholders. But, no one has told us what is really going on. As civil society, we are in trouble. Communication is weak. Neither Cominiere nor AVZ communicates on the project. For us, we believe it is time for the country to take advantage of its natural resources, the people of Manono in the first place. But, there is a vagueness around this affair. Which makes it hard to follow what's going on. For the moment, the territory of Manono is calm. He is no longer classified in the triangle of death”.
Mike Brown, AVZ's exploration director, is of the opinion that everything should settle down in the next few days: "We are waiting for the Exploitation License to develop the 400 million tonnes with a 1.6% lithium. The feasibility study was conclusive. We had undertaken everything with the geologists of La Cominiere, including Alex Mwanabute (2 years old) and Augustin Kibwe Niando (3 years old) starting in 2017. While waiting for the operating permit which will surely come, we are accentuating the construction of the camp and 'other infrastructure'.
Econews-610-64.jpg

Balthazar Tshiseke, DGA of Dathcom, is confident in the future: “We have big projects which will be grafted onto Manono's lithium. Everything will be done on site. The rehabilitation of the Mpiana-Mwanga power plant, which has been shut down for years, will be rehabilitated. The studies are already finalized. Just like the rehabilitation of the Lubumbashi – Manono road, 650 km long. The Manono airfield runway is also in our plans. In short, we are ready. We are only waiting for Kinshasa's go”.
Manono is still keeping his breath, while waiting for Kinshasa to decide the fate of his lithium, this ore very popular in the electric battery manufacturing industry.

A great find Sammael. Provides a whole new, and real perspective. Thanks for posting the article.

Reactions: 18 users

Bonsoir

Regular
-

Econews-610-62.jpg

The black hole
Testimonials

Econews-610-63.jpg

Econews-610-64.jpg

Nice feeling to have the support of the local leaders and community unlike those thieving unscrupulous light fingered zinjin and others.

• Love
Reactions: 24 users

The Fox

Regular
Nice feeling to have the support of the local leaders and community unlike those thieving unscrupulous light fingered zinjin and others.
Here’s another interesting article that provides a little more insight into what Gov are doing or trying to do in the DRC to leverage its position for more Global support. Not sure if it’s all a bluff or not. Also Gov wanting credit for allowing Lithium mining in the country……. well not quite, not just yet lads, soon.

• Thinking
Reactions: 5 users

Dazmac66

Regular
"we no longer understand anything of the torture that is imposed."
Sounds like these poor people are hanging their hat on AVZ with a lot more at stake than any of us. The crooks should face some local justice!
Sounds like Mr Brown is clearly expecting a positive outcome very soon. Also primed to get the ball rolling when the go ahead is in place!!

Reactions: 21 users
Top Bottom