AVZ Discussion 2022

JasonM

Regular
I was under the impression that a payout (hopefully some kind of tax favorable method) would happen per share after a settlement date occurs.

This enables the shares to trade again and maintain their price regardless of who sells.

If they state all shares will be payed out at $2 per share for example, the SP will maintain at around $1.99, because knowing a $2 payout is comming will attract endless buyers if people sell at $1.99 or a bit lower.
So you can get out right away at a fraction less, or wait until settlement.

Unless there's special tax considerations and a return to trade is not appropriate.
I'm no tax professional, I think plenty on here that could give better guidance when the time is right, just sharing what I found out with psc.

I was also a holder of PSC. From the asset sale, they returned funds and they retained some funds for further operation, cant remember exactly but something like $460m to shareholders and $40m retained. as stated above, they had to seek ato clarification on how the $460m funds could be returned to shareholders, in the end funds returned as part dividend and part capital. I think largely for local investors the dividend return was not welcomed as it resulted in higher tax being paid but I understand there was some offshore buying as those entities were not bound to pay tax locally. throughout this time, the shares traded below the value of cash backing presumably as many would have been happy selling out to secure a cgt discount than wait for the dividend but the price closed the gap towards settlement.

so in your example, if price is $2/sh, then if in the highest tax bracket, a dividend payout would result in 45% being paid in tax, so a gain of $1.10/sh vs a cgt payable at 25%, so a gain of $1.50 to the individual. so based on this you could see a situation where many holders would be happy to sell out at say $1.80 as the tax outcome would be better. as stated previously though, off shore entities that dont pay tax on the dividend would buy up the shares on offer at $1.80. the further out from settlement, the bigger the time factor of money and so the steeper the discount to the cash backing. I would also say there would be a rush of people wanting to get out of avz and this would also add to the discount on open.

needless to say everyones tax position is different so there are multiple scenarios/outcomes based on your tax position.

I'm not going to look into this further until we hear something of substance in an announcement, who know what the fuck is going to happen.

I would much prefer a TO rather than an asset sale as it is much cleaner, we get all our money returned and get to take advantage of the cgt discount so tax position is better for most holders remembering that everyone local would qualify for the cgt discount as holders for longer than 12 months.

last week of July, sure hope we get an announcement this week.

• Fire
Reactions: 32 users

Chilla

Regular
I'm no tax professional, I think plenty on here that could give better guidance when the time is right, just sharing what I found out with psc.

I was also a holder of PSC. From the asset sale, they returned funds and they retained some funds for further operation, cant remember exactly but something like $460m to shareholders and $40m retained. as stated above, they had to seek ato clarification on how the $460m funds could be returned to shareholders, in the end funds returned as part dividend and part capital. I think largely for local investors the dividend return was not welcomed as it resulted in higher tax being paid but I understand there was some offshore buying as those entities were not bound to pay tax locally. throughout this time, the shares traded below the value of cash backing presumably as many would have been happy selling out to secure a cgt discount than wait for the dividend but the price closed the gap towards settlement.

so in your example, if price is $2/sh, then if in the highest tax bracket, a dividend payout would result in 45% being paid in tax, so a gain of $1.10/sh vs a cgt payable at 25%, so a gain of $1.50 to the individual. so based on this you could see a situation where many holders would be happy to sell out at say $1.80 as the tax outcome would be better. as stated previously though, off shore entities that dont pay tax on the dividend would buy up the shares on offer at $1.80. the further out from settlement, the bigger the time factor of money and so the steeper the discount to the cash backing. I would also say there would be a rush of people wanting to get out of avz and this would also add to the discount on open.

needless to say everyones tax position is different so there are multiple scenarios/outcomes based on your tax position.

I'm not going to look into this further until we hear something of substance in an announcement, who know what the fuck is going to happen.

I would much prefer a TO rather than an asset sale as it is much cleaner, we get all our money returned and get to take advantage of the cgt discount so tax position is better for most holders remembering that everyone local would qualify for the cgt discount as holders for longer than 12 months.

If an asset sale is the way it happens, Best outcome for shareholders would be AVZ retains all the proceeds for a year and gives time for shares to be sold on market as all are eligible for CGT discount…..so max tax payable would be 22.5% on the capital gain.

If it’s a new JV structure then ML is issued and we return to trading and life resumes and you hold or sell……and again everyone is entitled to CGT discount.

All imo.

• Fire
Reactions: 13 users

cruiser51

Top 20

Winenut

Go AVZ!
If an asset sale is the way it happens, Best outcome for shareholders would be AVZ retains all the proceeds for a year and gives time for shares to be sold on market as all are eligible for CGT discount…..so max tax payable would be 22.5% on the capital gain.

If it’s a new JV structure then ML is issued and we return to trading and life resumes and you hold or sell……and again everyone is entitled to CGT discount.

All imo.

Would love to be in a position to have to think about the best way to manage the tax impost!!!!

Reactions: 17 users

cruiser51

Top 20

Maybe something the DRC government should read
VW CEO Matthias Müller made it clear to the Handelsblatt that Volkswagen is not planning to build a battery factory.

"We certainly don't do such nonsense."

The production of battery cells is highly automated, offers only a few jobs and is "very expensive".
The group looks at the entire process chain of battery technology.

This begins with the extraction of raw materials and their use through to cell production and the construction of batteries and their installation in a car.

VW will announce its plans later this year.

"Then we will see to what extent we are committed to this topic and ultimately also invest."

Regarding AVZ sp and taxation dreams...

At this stage it is just that, dreaming.

Until we know what is really happening, it is much healthier to go to the beach, watch the seagulls and pretty girls.

• Fire
Reactions: 10 users

Great post, I was a PSC holder too and sold my shares a few days after the announcement that there would be a sale of the Arcadia project.
I remember the SP traded mostly in the $1.70-1.85 range (roughly) for around 4 or so months before the settlement. I think the ~$460mil sale in terms of MC would’ve equated to share price around $2.10 (if I recall correctly), so it was trading at around 17% below asset sale value on average. I sold at $1.75 and in the months after it fluctuated a bit even hitting $1.90 range at one point.
Would be pretty happy if we got an outcome like this where shareholders were able to sell and get the CGT discount. It would be a great outcome considering a straight TO may not be allowed.

Reactions: 4 users

BEISHA

Top 20
Very interesting, Austroid Australia, local subsidiary of US BASED Austroid, but has a chinese director was rejected by the FIRB to take over Alita.

Hmmm, looks like any coy with China links, is a red flag for the FIRB.....regardless whether it has a base in the US or not

I applaud the decision, Austroid Australia should also be stripped of the Bald hill lithium / tantalum mine too !!

So what implications does this mean for a potential TO of AVZ ?

I mean, Alita has only a pissant 26m / tonne at a lowly grade of 1%, AVZ has potentially 1.5b tonne++ tonnes @ 1.6% ( RD & CDL )

Hmmm, lots of folk talking about TO on this forum, with crazy prices quoted, just think everyone needs to brace themselves for what reality could really look like.....;)

Cant imagine Australian govt / FIRB is going to allow Manono to fall into Chinas hand in any capacity and they will have the US looking over their shoulder in any event....;)

If any smart cookie can provide links as to how a TO by the chinese can happen via loop holes such as control of Dathcom or sale of asset then i am all ears, cause i have tried searching and have come up with ......

zero.gif

The only avenue that I see a TO of AVZ / DATHCOM is via US / Europe, but is that really realistic given the strategic nature of the DRC relationship with China ?

With that in mind, i only see OPTION B as the likely occurance with the chinese whispers that are spreading around....

shh.gif

• Haha
  • Thinking
Reactions: 8 users

Scoota30

Regular
Very interesting, Austroid Australia, local subsidiary of US BASED Austroid, but has a chinese director was rejected by the FIRB to take over Alita.

Hmmm, looks like any coy with China links, is a red flag for the FIRB.....regardless whether it has a base in the US or not

I applaud the decision, Austroid Australia should also be stripped of the Bald hill lithium / tantalum mine too !!

I mean, Alita has only a pissant 26m / tonne at a lowly grade of 1%, AVZ has potentially 1.5b tonne++ tonnes @ 1.6% ( RD & CDL )

Hmmm, lots of folk talking about TO on this forum, with crazy prices quoted, just think everyone needs to brace themselves for what reality could really look like.....;)

Cant imagine Australian govt / FIRB is going to allow Manono to fall into Chinas hand in any capacity and they will have the US looking over their shoulder in any event....;)

If any smart cookie can provide links as to how a TO by the chinese can happen via loop holes such as control of Dathcom or sale of asset then i am all ears, cause i have tried searching and have come up with ......

View attachment 40560

The only avenue that I see a TO of AVZ / DATHCOM is via US / Europe, but is that really realistic given the strategic nature of the DRC relationship with China ?

With that in mind, i only see OPTION B as the likely occurance with the chinese whispers that are spreading around....

View attachment 40561
I hope option B isn't a large amount of pineapples Beish 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Retrobyte

Hates a beer
If it's an asset sale of RD and CDL that brings a truckload of cash into the coffers, having gazillions in the bank won't help us resume trading, since not having an asset means we'd need to find another reason for being in operation, and would need to go through that process with the ASX, including potentially a prospectus, once we find something to spend all that money on - unless there's another lithium exploration project we can buy into quickly.

• Thinking
Reactions: 5 users
Hi TSE Brains Trust, Please help / advise.

I'm old but a newbie when it comes to Shares. 1st bought AVZ in Dec-2020 & bought last parcel in ~Aug-2021, approx 9 months before the TH.

Assuming the "Big +ve Ann" includes a CGT component (return of capital, or ML + Trade or ...???) , will I still get the 50% CGT discount on the last parcel of AVZ I bought? Or, is the 14+ months in TH not included in the "12 months owning the asset" to get the CGT discount?

Thanks in advance. GLTAH. Br Sparrowhawk12

j.l

Regular
If it's an asset sale of RD and CDL that brings a truckload of cash into the coffers, having gazillions in the bank won't help us resume trading, since not having an asset means we'd need to find another reason for being in operation, and would need to go through that process with the ASX, including potentially a prospectus, once we find something to spend all that money on - unless there's another lithium exploration project we can buy into quickly.
Steady on, you're giving me WFE flashbacks 😣

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Azzler

Top 20
Hi TSE Brains Trust, Please help / advise.

I'm old but a newbie when it comes to Shares. 1st bought AVZ in Dec-2020 & bought last parcel in ~Aug-2021, approx 9 months before the TH.

Assuming the "Big +ve Ann" includes a CGT component (return of capital, or ML + Trade or ...???) , will I still get the 50% CGT discount on the last parcel of AVZ I bought? Or, is the 14+ months in TH not included in the "12 months owning the asset" to get the CGT discount?

Thanks in advance. GLTAH. Br Sparrowhawk12
Yes you'll get the discount mate. Measured 12 months from date of purchase (if options, from date of conversion), regardless of whatever was going on with it.

Reactions: 12 users

Nellie17

Regular

View attachment 40560

View attachment 40561
Hey Beish,

Haven't really been keeping abreast of all things over the weekend, as I've been moving house. Catching up a bit more this afternoon and late last night, all of a sudden I'm reading that we are selling our assets and everyone is concerned with what taxes they might to pay!
Firstly imo, if this rumour started with the tweet from CKK (Cominiere) about us selling our tenements, I personally wouldn't take it's worth for a grain of salt! The guy is a total nut job and he knows he's fucked!
In my opinion, and I'm hoping, Cominere probably won't even be in existence in the very near future!
Really not sure whether Azzlers info is correct or not, as apparently over the last six weeks, things (outcomes) have changed numerous times, so who knows we're are currently at.
All should be revealed soon, but imo, we will be going mining!
Have a great week everyone,

Cheers,
Nells

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 53 users

Azzler

Top 20
Hey Beish,

Haven't really been keeping abreast of all things over the weekend, as I've been moving house. Catching up a bit more this afternoon and late last night, all of a sudden I'm reading that we are selling our assets and everyone is concerned with what taxes they might to pay!
Firstly imo, if this rumour started with the tweet from CKK (Cominiere) about us selling our tenements, I personally wouldn't take it's worth for a grain of salt! The guy is a total nut job and he knows he's fucked!
In my opinion, and I'm hoping, Cominere probably won't even be in existence in the very near future!
Really not sure whether Azzlers info is correct or not, as apparently over the last six weeks, things (outcomes) have changed numerous times, so who knows we're are currently at.
All should be revealed soon, but imo, we will be going mining!
Have a great week everyone,

Cheers,
Nells
I kept hearing conflicting outcomes over the last few weeks too.
Indeed Comminiere's comments on Twitter (I think it's that Mice guy, not CKK directly), are to be taken with much contempt, they're liers and thieves after all.
But from what I had heard (deal is done) along with other very recent revalations (Zijin, split and certain people in country) followed by Com stating AVZ sold 3 tenaments, along with other murmers... well fuck it, it looks like it actually happened.

I'm hoping we see an announcement soon in regards to this.
It's all from whispers, if it wasn't, it would be announced.

P.S. "Deal Done" did not stipulate any details (sold or mining), the "all sold" is from deductions.

• Thinking
  • Fire
Reactions: 11 users

Nellie17

Regular
I kept hearing conflicting outcomes over the last few weeks too.
Indeed Comminiere's comments on Twitter (I think it's that Mice guy, not CKK directly), are to be taken with much contempt, they're liers and thieves after all.
But from what I had heard (deal is done) along with other very recent revalations (Zijin, split and certain people in country) followed by Com stating AVZ sold 3 tenaments, along with other murmers... well fuck it, it looks like it actually happened.

I'm hoping we see an announcement soon in regards to this.
It's all from whispers, if it wasn't, it would be announced.

P.S. "Deal Done" did not stipulate any details (sold or mining), the "all sold" is from deductions.
Hi Azzler,

I like your, P.S "Deal Done!'

From what I'm hearing from various sources is, - we should be hearing news soon! (Shit..., I think I've said that before 😅)
I'm very much looking forward to the day that I have a choice of what direction I want to take with avz, whether that is, sell some, sell all, or as Jay Trotter said "Let it Ride!!!"

Cheers,
Nells

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 30 users
With all the rumours flying around it's important to remember that if information isn't from the official announcement region of the ASX then it's just sparkling bullshit
jericho-a-little-bit-of-the-bubbly-wine.gif

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 35 users

JNRB

Regular
Hi Azzler,

From what I'm hearing from various sources is, - we should be hearing news soon! (Shit..., I think I've said that before 😅)
I'm very much looking forward to the day that I have a choice of what direction I want to take with avz, whether that is, sell some, sell all, or as Jay Trotter said "Let it Ride!!!"

Cheers,
Nells
It's been a while since we had something due to be announced "imminently"

Reactions: 2 users

Dijon101

Regular
Reactions: 1 users

Charbella

Regular
Hi Azzler,

Cheers,
Nells
We have heard many times the deal is done, but @Azzler this is the first time it clicked with me. I am confident the deal is closed and closure is reached.

• Thinking
Reactions: 15 users

Panther22

Regular
Steady on, you're giving me WFE flashbacks 😣
I was in WFE too. Horrible.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Top Bottom