• Fire
Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
Reactions: 5 users

Semmel

Regular
Interesting. Hope this continues on a positive trajectory :) With a good product, Talga could capture a significant part of that 150ktpa market for Silicon additives. And of course its a "globally operating, leading EV company". That narrows it down 😅

But seriously, glad to have some numbers! From the looks of it, still a couple of years before its a market ready product.

Tik tok be better for sp than a movie trailer of announcements.

And today I mentioned Si 😅 Just in time. 🤘
Y?! ❤️‍🔥
Has reached A$1.65 this morning. If we get a positive response in relation to ACC we just might crack A$1.85 by Christmas

• Fire
Interesting. Hope this continues on a positive trajectory :) With a good product, Talga could capture a significant part of that 150ktpa market for Silicon additives. And of course its a "globally operating, leading EV company". That narrows it down 😅

But seriously, glad to have some numbers! From the looks of it, still a couple of years before its a market ready product.
As someone else pointed out over at HC...............

Tests by a global Tier-1 EV manufacturer of unblended Talnode®-Si has demonstrated ~5x the energy capacity of graphite-only commercial anodes

Tier-1 EV has a certain exclusive EV only manufacturer and could only mean Tesla...............who else would you call Tier-1 ?

cosors

👀
Like a much sweeter Jeapardy Melody but with canapés and champagne on top!
Thanks you Talga 🤗

Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀

Tests by a global Tier-1 EV manufacturer of unblended Talnode®-Si has demonstrated ~5x the energy capacity of graphite-only commercial anodes

Tier-1 EV has a certain exclusive EV only manufacturer and could only mean Tesla...............who else would you call Tier-1 ?
Anyone working in automotive can also call an OEM who produces EVs call Tier-1, as it is just a categorisation; T1, T2, T3.
It is a hierarchy. But I don't want to spoil your fun;) It could well be Tesla.

Last edited:
Anyone working in automotive can also call an OEM who produces EVs call Tier-1, as it is just a categorisation; T1, T2, T3.
It is a hierarchy. But I don't want to spoil your fun;) It could well be Tesla.
Yes but any Company that also makes ICEs would not be a Tier-1 EV manufacturer

There's a subtle difference:)

cosors

👀
Yes but any Company that also makes ICEs would not be a Tier-1 EV manufacturer

There's a subtle difference:)
It's all right to disagree. From my point of view every OEM/T1 that also produces EVs is a T1-EV. But I don't want to insist on my right, I know what you mean. The definition is only defined by the industry itself and not by externals or investors.
With the logic reversed an OEM that also produces EVs would not be a T1-EV? That makes no sense. T1 is a classification and an EV producer is an EV producer. No matter who argues how well. 👐

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

anbuck

Regular
I believe that Mark let it slip in an interview awhile back that Ford and GM want to use silicon because they care more about energy density than battery longevity. Then he said, whoops I shouldn't use names. So it wouldn't surprise me if it were one of those two. I also remember some hints awhile back that Porsche was working with Talga on silicon anodes based on a tweet that Mark liked. Tesla wouldn't surprise me either, but I think it would probably be better if it weren't Tesla because Tesla only pays bottom dollar.

Reactions: 4 users

anbuck

Regular
I wonder if the reason the cycle life of the anode is exceeding the customers' expectations due to the graphene additive Talga puts in to help deal with the silicon expansion and prevent cracking of the SEI.

Semmel

Regular

If you ask VW, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, BYD, Ford, GM, Toyota.. if they were a Tier-1 EV manufacturer, they would all say 'yes'. Of course it could be Tesla and it would perfectly fit with their 4680 development, and statements/pictures on battery day. Though, The statement in the announcement gives exactly 0 information on narrowing that down (thats why my comment above was covered with these invisible irony indicators).

I wonder if the reason the cycle life of the anode is exceeding the customers' expectations due to the graphene additive Talga puts in to help deal with the silicon expansion and prevent cracking of the SEI.

I had the same idea. The graphene might be wrapping around the silicon particles and hold them mechanically together, preventing a loss of capacity, even with the swelling of silicon happening. Hope that is true, we dont know for sure though.

If you ask VW, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, BYD, Ford, GM, Toyota.. if they were a Tier-1 EV manufacturer, they would all say 'yes'.
What if TLG is using the language of Benchmark Minerals....LOL.........?.........Look who is on top of the Pyramid :)

Tesla-Gigafactory-e1572001205890.jpeg

THE THREE TIERS OF BATTERY MEGAFACTORIES​

13th September 2019 13th September 2019BatteriesBenchmark Mineral Intelligence
Battery megafactories are coming online and into production at a phenomenal rate. There are now 99 megafactories in the pipeline, with over 2,000 gigawatt hours (GWh) of capacity in the industry’s pipeline for 2028.
But not all batteries are the same – the battery industry can be roughly split into three tiers in a pyramid structure, with the top tier of producers occupied by the behemoths of the industry such as Tesla, Panasonic, Samsung and LG Chem.
The second has major battery companies such as BYD, SK Innovation and CATL. Finally, the third tier has a number of companies such as GEELY and Farasis, with many of the new Chinese producers sitting within tier 3.
Typically, manufacturers in the higher tiers follow a more stringent qualification process for sourcing raw materials. This results in higher quality and specification requirements, large sample sizes, and longer qualification times.
Our definition of each tier used in Benchmark Minerals’ Lithium ion Battery Megafactory Assessment is as follows:
  • Tier 1: Qualified to supply multi-national electric vehicle (EV) producers outside of China
  • Tier 2: Qualified to supply Chinese EV market/non EV applications
  • Tier 3: Unqualified – limited or no track record of cell production
The chart below outlines the tiered structure of the battery industry with examples of some producers, along with the traits exhibited by the higher-tier battery producers (to the right of the tier-pyramid).

Reactions: 6 users

Semmel

Regular
Interesting that they counted Tesla above CATL. I don't have exact numbers, but gut feeling is, that Tesla produces way less than CATL. They have plenty of contracts with manufacturers such as Panasonic etc, but in house, Tesla only produces 4680 cells, which are not yet in volume production, let alone 2019.

A bit of Talnode®-Si would go well in one of these:)

2020-Tesla-Roadster-red-1001x565p.jpg

Expected to start production in 20203 the regular Roadster will be priced near AUD $300,000.

The electric sports car is targeting a 0-100km/h time of 1.9 seconds, with a top speed claimed to be in the region of 400km/h. Performance like this would put it in the same league as hypercars such as the Pininfarina Battista and the Lotus Evija.

Meanwhile, Tesla has promised a range of up to almost 1000 kilometres on a single charge of the Roadster’s battery, far in excess of the 600km record currently held by the Tesla Model S.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 2 users

TentCity

Regular
What if TLG is using the language of Benchmark Minerals....LOL.........?.........Look who is on top of the Pyramid :)

Tesla-Gigafactory-e1572001205890.jpeg

THE THREE TIERS OF BATTERY MEGAFACTORIES​

13th September 2019 13th September 2019BatteriesBenchmark Mineral Intelligence
Battery megafactories are coming online and into production at a phenomenal rate. There are now 99 megafactories in the pipeline, with over 2,000 gigawatt hours (GWh) of capacity in the industry’s pipeline for 2028.
But not all batteries are the same – the battery industry can be roughly split into three tiers in a pyramid structure, with the top tier of producers occupied by the behemoths of the industry such as Tesla, Panasonic, Samsung and LG Chem.
The second has major battery companies such as BYD, SK Innovation and CATL. Finally, the third tier has a number of companies such as GEELY and Farasis, with many of the new Chinese producers sitting within tier 3.
Typically, manufacturers in the higher tiers follow a more stringent qualification process for sourcing raw materials. This results in higher quality and specification requirements, large sample sizes, and longer qualification times.
Our definition of each tier used in Benchmark Minerals’ Lithium ion Battery Megafactory Assessment is as follows:
  • Tier 1: Qualified to supply multi-national electric vehicle (EV) producers outside of China
  • Tier 2: Qualified to supply Chinese EV market/non EV applications
  • Tier 3: Unqualified – limited or no track record of cell production
The chart below outlines the tiered structure of the battery industry with examples of some producers, along with the traits exhibited by the higher-tier battery producers (to the right of the tier-pyramid).

Hi WTM

That graphic you are using is a tad dated (from 2019)and a bunch of other cell makers are now classified as Tier 1, including our neighbours Northvolt despite them still just scaling up their first factory!

https://source.benchmarkminerals.co...woda-become-tier-one-ev-battery-manufacturers

In 2021, there were 7 classified by Benchmark as Tier 1

I still think there are natural synergies for Talnode Si and Tesla’s strength in LFP battery chemistry, which would benefit most from the extra energy capacity from Si. However, I am (not to secretly) hoping the next deal is with NV - would love the Swedish connection and circular economy benefits that would bring.

Top Bottom