Media

beserk

Regular
" when one of the ruling parties in Kiruna, the Social Democrats, in a membership vote with a small margin and few participants voted no to produce a detailed plan. However, I am convinced that this issue will be resolved with time, not least considering the great support for the Swedish mining industry that we know exists both locally , nationally and internationally"

In other words the anti faction within the Soc Dem in Kiruna municipality council stands a snowballs chance in hell to stop this. But we will.know in 24 hours or so when appeal time ends.

Good to hear from you that there is a cost involved with appealing...that should stop any vexacious appeals to stall the process.

However the antis are holding out on playing their Ace of Diamonds yet ie the SC appeal on UN charter to protect the rights of Indigenous populations and their cultural practises.

And to call in the heavy guns of St Greta.

All for now

Bit snowed under.

Tell you later

-beserk

Reactions: 6 users

brewm0re

Regular
The authorisation from the Land and Environment Court will not be the only thing required to start mining. Among other things, a licence for a processing concession and land allocation from the Mining Authority is also required, and the municipality must draw up a detailed plan for the area. The company must then apply for a building permit.

The municipality started the detailed plan work as early as 2020, but has recently received quite a lot of media attention when one of the governing parties in Kiruna, the Social Democrats, at a membership vote with a small margin and few participants voted no to produce a detailed plan. However, I am convinced that this issue will be resolved in time, not least in view of the great support for the Swedish mining industry that we know exists both locally and nationally. The importance of the mining industry for Sweden and the northern parts in particular can hardly be overestimated," says Per-Erik.

Thank you very much for the two good articles!
I am curious whether the Social Democrats (S) from Kiruna can stop the detailed plan with denial and for how long. I can't quite believe that they can prevent the mine from being built. I would also be interested to know if the S's have ever spoken to their colleagues from Lulea. beserk has already shed light on the internal power struggles for us. I also note that it may simply be a tit-for-tat against the Christian Democrats (C) who have broken the rule of the Social Democrats once in the last 20 years, and that was to the time we submitted the applications.
View attachment 35017

You know that I am a layman in these matters. To me it looks like this:
On paper we have the most important permit, the environmental permit.
To get that we needed the Natura2000 permit. We have it.
For the processing concession we need the Natura2000. We submitted both applications for the environmental permit and the processing concession at the same time. So Bergstaaten could only refuse the processing concession at first, because at that time a few weeks ago the Natura2000 was not yet available. This has now been granted and perhaps the granting of the processing concession is a mere formality.
I assume that once the processing concession is granted Bergstaaten can formally allocate the land. We know that something has been going on in the background with regard to this and land rights. Whether the processing concession is intertwined with the land allocation, I don't know.
I also don't know if the land allocation is intertwined with the detailed plan or basis. Maybe the detailed plan has to be approved before the land can be formally allocated. So I don't know which of the two steps is the second last in the chain. Last comes the ceremonial opening by mountain states, I think.
A dream or in my imagination it would look like this:
- Natura2000 granted
- Environmental permit granted
- Processing concession granted
- Land allocated
- final step: detailed plan

And then all eyes are on the Social Democrats of Kiruna including those of their colleagues from Lulea who would be only too happy to welcome Talga as an employer and taxpayer in the new industrial area, as we can see from the article I reposted.
I forgot the hungry eyes from Brussels and the whole EU and the European and international industry. Let them feel embarrassed and watched.
Of course, I am also curious to see how long the government will look at this with the S sitting in opposition.
View attachment 35018

And this suggests to me that the above is exactly what is going to happen as suggested:

" Assessment of mining activities. The procedure from exploration permit to construction and land use permit.
Exploration permits and work plans under the Mining Act. Decisions are made by the Minister of Mines.
Trial mining permit under the Environmental Code. Decisions are made by the Delegation for Environmental Impact Assessment of the district administration.
Special permit for mining or exploration activities that may affect a Natura 2000 site.
Processing licence under the Mining Code and Chapters 3-4 of the Environmental Code. Decisions are made by the Minister of Mines.
Environmental permit under Chapters 9 and 11 of the Environment Act. Land and Environmental Court make decisions.
Land permit under the Mining Act. Minister of Mines makes decision.
👉 Building and land permits under the Planning and Building Act. The municipality's building committee decides.

Overview of the review procedure at the Swedish Bergsstaten. => Processing concession
The applicant is advised to consult with the County Administrative Board and local and regional stakeholders.
The company prepares the application with the environmental impact assessment and annexes and submits it to the Bergsstaten.
The Bergsstaten conducts an initial review and requests additional information from the company.
Once the Bergsstaten has deemed the application complete for further processing, the dossier and the environmental impact assessment are forwarded to the County Administrative Board for consultation.
At the same time, the matter will be made public and interested parties will be given the opportunity to comment.
Comments with any requests for additions are received by the Bergsstaten.
The company is given the opportunity to supplement the documents, after which a new hearing notice can be sent to the district administration.
If the matter does not need to be communicated further after the final opinion of the district administration authority, the Minister of Mines can make a decision.
👉 The Minister of Mines shall refer the matter to the Government for consideration and decision in accordance with Chapter 8, Section 2 of the Mines Act.
Possible appeal.

Overview of the consultation procedure for permit applications under the Environmental Code.
Consultation of the district administration, the supervisory authority and persons who may be particularly affected.
Mining activities are always expected to have significant environmental impacts, so consultation does not have to be carried out separately.
Consultation with other government agencies, communities, the public and organisations likely to be affected. Finns
The application and environmental impact statement are prepared and submitted to the Land and Environment Court.

👉 The district administration checks whether a Natura 2000 permit is required when applying for a processing concession. An application for a Natura 2000 permit must include an environmental impact assessment. A Natura 2000 permit is reviewed by the district administrative authority or the Land and Environment Court.

Principle presentation of the review process to the Land and Environment Court.
Consultation with the district administration, the municipality, individuals, the public, the same party, the relevant central authorities, etc.
The company prepares the application with the environmental impact assessment and annexes and submits it to the court.
Usually, the court refers the case to the authorities for disposal.
The comments are sent to the court together with any requests for additional information.
The company is given the opportunity to supplement the documents.
The court examines whether the application is admissible and, if so, announces the case.
The application is sent to interested parties for consultation. The public may also submit comments.
The court receives a response to the application and the environmental impact assessment.
The company responds to the comments.
Hearing with site visit.
=> Judgment or Final Judgment, depending on whether there are probation issues.
Possible appeal.

The holder of a processing concession may apply for a land allocation procedure. Such a procedure determines the area within the concession area that the concession holder may use for processing the deposit. It also determines the land within or outside the concession area that the concessionaire may use for activities related to processing. The land grant links the right to extract minerals to the right to use the land or space required for the activity."
https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/permits.4987/post-235879

See also - SGU: From exploration permit to mine
The land allocation can be enforced if the owner does not want to sell. However, I am sure that this has already been clarified because I remember that I traced this in the maps with the parcels. I can't find it here in the mountains of posts.

All IMO and I could be wrong. Please correct me if.

Reactions: 2 users

Diogenese

Top 20
This is a show of confidence:

Also Brussels = EU?

Talga
@Talga_Ltd
Do you want to work in an innovative company where you can contribute to a more sustainable world?

This is an exciting opportunity to shape and lead our Public Affairs efforts across Sweden, Germany and Brussels.

Apply here: linkedin.com/jobs/view/3587…

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3587027660/

About the job​

Do you want to work in an innovative company where you can contribute to a more sustainable world? This is an exciting opportunity to shape and lead Talga´s Public Affairs efforts across Sweden, Germany and Brussels as a part of Talga Groups- Communication team.

With production in the north of Sweden, research, R&D and Sales in the UK, distribution in Germany and Commercial Headquarter in Australia, Talga is a global employer. Our products will be used across many touchpoints of people’s lives – from the battery technology in electric vehicles and smartphones, to advanced graphene materials which will make consumer and industrial products stronger, longer-lasting, lighter and greener. We make decisions and take actions that have a strong positive effect. We act with intent and care to create products with a purpose for the companies that are defining the future.

The Role
We are looking for a Public Affairs Manager to join Talga Group’s Communication team. As the Public Affairs Manager at Talga Group, you will be defining and implementing Talga´s public affairs plan across Sweden, Germany and Brussels. You will collaborate with other functions, especially Environment & Community and Marketing & Sales, and work closely with the CEO of Europe.
The role is based in Luleå. Regular travelling activity is to be expected, particularly within Sweden, and to Germany and Brussels in relation to meetings and events.

Your responsibility includes:

• Defining and implementing Talga’s public affairs plan across Sweden, Germany and Brussels.
  • Stakeholder engagement, including building and maintaining good relations with relevant stakeholders, government and authorities.
  • Act as spokesperson on Public Affairs and represent Talga across forums, meetings, events, and in the media.
  • Identifying political, reputational and regulatory risks and opportunities to influence political decisions and public debate.
  • Leading Talga’s contribution to relevant consultations and forums

Is this you?
We are looking for a person with excellent communication skills and exceptional written and spoken English, and fluency in Swedish. You have strong analytical skills with the knowledge and ability to put in place clear strategies. A high level of initiative, being a self-motivator with a collaborative mindset is also of great importance in the role. You have a relevant degree in political science, communication, business or other related field. At least 5 years of experience in stakeholder engagement, public affairs, corporate affairs or policy advocacy. Experience in engaging with various levels of government to drive positive impact and mitigate potential risks in line with company strategies and goals. A good understanding of the Swedish and EU political dynamics and decision.

Do you want to know more?
In this process Talga is working with Level Recruitment. To apply, please press apply. If you have any questions, please contact Recruitment Consultant Charlotte Wahlström at 08-120 50 428, or email charlotte.wahlstrom@levelrecruitment.se Please note that applications will not be accepted by email. The selection process is ongoing. Please apply with CV in English based on the requirements. You are welcome to submit your application.

Reactions: 3 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
MT presenting at the RIU resource conference here in Sydney next Tuesday.
3AA6F5B6-A3EC-4B62-95D9-994796C10988.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
This is a show of confidence:

Also Brussels = EU?

Talga
@Talga_Ltd
Do you want to work in an innovative company where you can contribute to a more sustainable world?

This is an exciting opportunity to shape and lead our Public Affairs efforts across Sweden, Germany and Brussels.

Apply here: linkedin.com/jobs/view/3587…

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3587027660/

About the job​

Do you want to work in an innovative company where you can contribute to a more sustainable world? This is an exciting opportunity to shape and lead Talga´s Public Affairs efforts across Sweden, Germany and Brussels as a part of Talga Groups- Communication team.

With production in the north of Sweden, research, R&D and Sales in the UK, distribution in Germany and Commercial Headquarter in Australia, Talga is a global employer. Our products will be used across many touchpoints of people’s lives – from the battery technology in electric vehicles and smartphones, to advanced graphene materials which will make consumer and industrial products stronger, longer-lasting, lighter and greener. We make decisions and take actions that have a strong positive effect. We act with intent and care to create products with a purpose for the companies that are defining the future.

The Role
We are looking for a Public Affairs Manager to join Talga Group’s Communication team. As the Public Affairs Manager at Talga Group, you will be defining and implementing Talga´s public affairs plan across Sweden, Germany and Brussels. You will collaborate with other functions, especially Environment & Community and Marketing & Sales, and work closely with the CEO of Europe.
The role is based in Luleå. Regular travelling activity is to be expected, particularly within Sweden, and to Germany and Brussels in relation to meetings and events.

Your responsibility includes:

• Defining and implementing Talga’s public affairs plan across Sweden, Germany and Brussels.
  • Stakeholder engagement, including building and maintaining good relations with relevant stakeholders, government and authorities.
  • Act as spokesperson on Public Affairs and represent Talga across forums, meetings, events, and in the media.
  • Identifying political, reputational and regulatory risks and opportunities to influence political decisions and public debate.
  • Leading Talga’s contribution to relevant consultations and forums

Is this you?
We are looking for a person with excellent communication skills and exceptional written and spoken English, and fluency in Swedish. You have strong analytical skills with the knowledge and ability to put in place clear strategies. A high level of initiative, being a self-motivator with a collaborative mindset is also of great importance in the role. You have a relevant degree in political science, communication, business or other related field. At least 5 years of experience in stakeholder engagement, public affairs, corporate affairs or policy advocacy. Experience in engaging with various levels of government to drive positive impact and mitigate potential risks in line with company strategies and goals. A good understanding of the Swedish and EU political dynamics and decision.

Do you want to know more?
In this process Talga is working with Level Recruitment. To apply, please press apply. If you have any questions, please contact Recruitment Consultant Charlotte Wahlström at 08-120 50 428, or email charlotte.wahlstrom@levelrecruitment.se Please note that applications will not be accepted by email. The selection process is ongoing. Please apply with CV in English based on the requirements. You are welcome to submit your application.
Also note the emphasis on Germany. Talnode-Si feasibility must be well progressed by now…

brewm0re

Regular

Talga gets a mention here.

Won’t go on a rant, though ‘sharp contrast’ is a quote extracted from this article.

Note: this could be biased and skewed against BEM/Evion, however I believe we look like angels in comparison and is a real eye opener on how well the TLG management team have conducted themselves throughout this whole process.

• Fire
Reactions: 7 users
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 15 users

cosors

👀
Nice to see us and graphene. In the short video we are mentioned twice.

By: Graphene Flagship
Graphene Flagship
Publishing date: 21 March 2023
"Often people believe that graphene is expensive and difficult to make. This was the case ten years ago, but it's not the case anymore. By now, the issues of mass production are by and large solved.

#TechTuesday: Graphene Production​

There are many misconceptions about the state of graphene production, but at this point the issues of graphene mass production are by and large solved. Graphene Flagship Partners and Associated Members are creating tonnes of graphene in various forms for myriad applications every year.​

What does it say on the vials 🧐😊

Andrea C. Ferrari, Graphene Flagship Science and Technology Officer: Often people believe that graphene is expensive and difficult to make. This was the case ten years ago, but it's not the case anymore. By now, the issues of mass production either in tens of kilograms or tonnes or in terms of centimetres squared, metres squared, hundreds of metres squared are by and large solved.

José Antonio Peláez: We are GrapheneTech and we are graphene mass producers. What we have here is a master batch that is also industrialized. We can provide the polymers with an improvement in mechanical properties, thermal dissipation, and also we can provide the polymers with electrical conductivity.

Iñigo Charola, Graphenea: Our purpose here is really to produce graphene in enough volume, enough quantities that it can be used by industry. We work on graphene oxide and CVD materials, graphene films totally different, and in both we have been investing in order to make this a reality.

Dimitros Fantanas, M-Solv Ltd.: We're working on the upscale and mass production of graphene electrodes for supercapacitor applications. We, M-Solv, have developed a novel spray deposition process, and that is upscalable. And we're currently designing a roll-to-roll system for production of graphene electrodes for up to 30,000 devices per year.

Lucia Lombardi, Talga: These are graphite stones. Talga owns mines in northern Sweden. We use our rock to produce Talphene powder and Talphene dispersions. Talphene powder is used in composites to improve electrical and mechanical properties while Talphene dispersion is used for coatings.

Kari Hjelt, Graphene Flagship Head of Innovation: A lot of interested people are asking, when can we buy these products? When can I integrate this in my systems? So we are really in the industrialization and commercialization step in the Graphene Flagship.

Jari Kinaret, Graphene Flagship Director: It's very interesting to see that we have come a long way when it comes to graphene production. Here we have graphite from a mine in Europe. We have producers that produce graphene flakes for many kinds of nano composite battery applications, supercapacitor applications. We also have producers that produce high-quality graphene for very fast electronics applications and optoelectronics applications. So by and large, one can say that graphene production is a solved issue now.

Learn more about graphene production."
https://graphene-flagship.eu/graphene/news/techtuesday-graphene-production/

😉😅
And as you can see Talga has realized our idea of the graphite monolith from the movie 2001. I just wonder if they kept the proportions 1²:2²:3².

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

cosors

👀

France inaugurates first of four gigafactories in the north​

Reuters
May 30, 202310:48 AM GMT+2Updated 5 hours ago

ACC inaugurates its gigafactory in northern France

[1/4] French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire visits the gigafactory of Automotive Cells Company (ACC), a joint venture of Stellantis, TotalEnergies and Mercedes, during its inauguration in Billy-Berclau-Douvrin, northern France, May 30, 2023. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol/Pool

BILLY-BERCLAU, France, May 30 (Reuters) - France will inaugurate on Tuesday a battery-making gigafactory, the first of four such plants European and Asian companies plan to build in the north of the country.
The development by Automotive Cells Company, a joint-venture between Stellantis (STLAM.MI), Mercedes (MBGn.DE) and TotalEnergies (TTEF.PA), involves total investment of 2 billion euros ($2.20 billion) - with the French state and local authorities providing nearly half.

It highlights the race between European governments to attract global car makers as they seek to bring the supply of components for electric vehicles closer to their main markets.

"ACC's new plant marks a key milestone in Europe's transformation to make its auto industry more resilient, competitive, and sustainable, also in the electric era," Ola Källenius, Chief Executive Officer of Mercedes-Benz, said ahead of the inauguration.

The plant will start production of lithium-ion batteries later this year with an initial capacity of 13 gigawatt hours (GWh), to be ramped up to around 40 GWh, enough to fit some 500,000 cars a year. It is expected to help create up to 2,000 jobs by 2030, the companies and regional authorities have said.

Taiwan's ProLogium and China's Envision AESC have also announced plans to build gigafactories in France's northern region around the port of Dunkirk, while Renault (RENA.PA) has set up a partnership with local start-up Verkor in the same area to produce batteries for its premium and Alpine electric models.

Europe largely depends on batteries made in Asia for electric cars, and national leaders are offering various incentives to kickstart the industry.

That has become more urgent since the United States last year passed its $430 billion Inflation Reduction Act, which includes major tax subsidies to cut carbon emissions while boosting domestic production and manufacturing.

French President Emmanuel Macron, who personally lobbied to secure at least one the gigafactories in the Dunkirk region, has set a production target of 2 million electric vehicles made in France by 2030."
https://www.reuters.com/business/france-inaugurates-first-four-gigafactories-north-2023-05-30/

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/stellantis-will-need-one-or-two-additional-us-battery-plants-tavares-2023-05-30/

• Fire

cosors

👀
1685625065278.png

"Christin Jonasson, environmental engineer, and Stefan Sandberg, operations manager, at Talga's booth in Kulturens hus during the TTC meeting.

31 May 2023 at 18:00 Updated: May 31, 2023 at 9:18 p.m

The TTC, Trade and Technology Council, discusses how business and trade between the EU and the US should be regulated, not least when it comes to investments in green technology. These are questions that determine the conditions for the companies in northern Sweden that are now investing in the green transition.

- In the long term, it is decisive for us if our customers invest in the USA instead of Europe. Battery factories prefer to have suppliers around the knot, says Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of the board of Talga, which will mine graphite in Vittangi and manufacture anode material for batteries in Luleå.

At the same time as old trade barriers such as steel tariffs are being dismantled, new contradictions are being built between the US and the EU. The US gives tax subsidies to companies that invest in green production, which attracts many companies in Europe, including the battery manufacturer Nothvolt, which is considering putting a new factory in the US instead of Germany. Therefore, the EU now responds with similar subsidies.

At the same time, the US and the EU are on the same page when it comes to breaking dependence on China for important raw materials, such as the minerals and metals that Talga and LKAB invest in producing.

How investments are subsidized and how supply chains are built and regulated are crucial for a supplier like Talga.

- We have to adapt to our customers. It is absolutely crucial for us how the supply chains for inputs such as innovation-critical minerals and metals are regulated, says Per-Erik Lindvall.

For a company like Talga, it's split, according to Per-Erik Lindvall. On the one hand, it is desirable to regulate trade with countries such as China. On the other hand, free trade is positive for companies in small countries like Sweden.

Last winter, Talga was cleared in the Land and Environmental Court to mine graphite in Vittangi, a decision which is under appeal. Environmental judgment on the planned factory in Luleå will come in midsummer."
https://affarerinorr.se/nyheter/2023/maj/ttc-spelar-roll-for-norra-sveriges-omstallning/

Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀

• Fire
Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
A little interview by PEL in the print edition of Bergsmannen for registered members.
On the title page
bergsm1.png

bergsm.png

It was difficult to translate this because of the non-open (scanned) PDF format. A little back and forth in Office and then it worked.

"Per-Erik Lindvall, Talga Sverige:
All forecasts point in the same direction: the need for graphite will only increase.
A world-class deposit, both in terms of quality and quantity.
This is how Per Erik Lindvall, Chairman of the Board of Talga Sverige AB, describes the graphite found in the 1 Vittangi mine.
Already this year, it is expected to start preparatory groundwork for the investment that will start in 2025.

The mining company Talga has applied to mine 120 000 tons per year in the graphite mine in Vittangi, Kiruna municipality.

The graphite content of the ore is 25 percent. "Compared with most other mines, where the graphite content is between 5 and 9 percent, this is a world-class deposit," says Per-Erik Lindvall.

In mining terms, 120,000 tons of ore per year is of course not a large amount. But, as Per-Erik Lindvall notes, this is only the beginning of the process. In all likelihood, there are much larger quantities of graphite in the area.

- Moreover, given the high content of graphite in the ore, it ultimately means that we need to produce less tons of ore than our competitors to get the final product that goes into the batteries," he explains.

Coherent value chain
Although the permit, which has already been granted by the Land and Environment Court, has been appealed by samebys and private individuals, this does not worry Per-Erik Lindvall, who says that the evidence the court had to consider is on solid ground and that the judgment is well written. Moreover, the authorities concerned recommended that the permit be granted and they have not appealed the judgment.

In the planned open pit mine, ten kilometers from Vittangi, if everything goes according to plan, more than fifty employees will mine and crush 120 000 tons of ore per year. The graphite will be enriched on site to a content of about 90 percent and then transported by truck to Luleå and Talga's anode factory for further processing.

1686316089576.png

Per-Erik Lindvall looks forward to the start of the graphite mine in Vittangi.

"Having a coherent value chain where you go from natural graphite to finished anode material as Talga does here is quite unusual," says Per-Erik Lindvall.
The need for graphite is increasing sharply worldwide because graphite is a key raw material required to implement the green transition. Graphite is used in the anode material, which in turn is used in the batteries used in, for example, electric cars.

Important for the entire EU
Establishing graphite production in Sweden is important for the entire EU, ensuring a sustainable supply of the raw material and reducing dependency on countries such as China, which is by far the largest producer of graphite.
- All forecasts point in the same direction: the need for graphite will only increase with the transition to fossil-free vehicles. "As it stands today, the EU is expected to need one million tons of anode graphite per year from 2030," says Per-Erik Lindvall.
The Australian company Talga Ltd, which is headquartered in Perth, has its own patents on refining graphite and has battery production as a special competence. When it comes to the subsidiary Talga Sverige AB, there are of course no revenue streams yet, as production has not started.
- "No, so far we are living off the shareholders' money. However, we are coming up with the right product at the right time, which means that the project will soon be economically viable.
Per-Erik Lindvall expects the plant to be completed and production to be in full swing in 2025.

Major technology shift
Per-Erik Lindvall is grateful to be part of the journey that the technology shift from fossil-fueled to electric cars entails.
He himself has extensive experience in the mining industry, including many years working for Boliden and LKAB. He was also involved in restarting the Kaunis Irons iron ore mine in Pajala, where he is also a board member. For the past two years he has been Chairman of the Board of Talga AB and has had the privilege of delving into the world of batteries.
'If the chance to learn something new comes up, I think you should take it. And if you love mines and like Norrbotten as I do, then it was hard not to accept this opportunity.
BERGSMANNEN No. 3 2023"
https://www.bergsmannen.se/tidigare-nummer/

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 14 users
Some general information about Graphite in batteries. Not Talga-specific, but it might be interesting for some of you.

• Fire

cosors

👀

"A turnaround for graphite is brewing: Which ASX miners should you be watching?​

Graphite prices have more or less gone nowhere for the past decade. But here's why a breakout is brewing for the unloved battery metal.
9 HOURS AGO

Graphite has a lot going for it – The commodity is the single largest component in lithium-ion batteries, there’s been a substantial under-investment in new supply and the market wants to shift away from the Chinese dominated supply chain. But despite all this, spot prices have more or less gone nowhere in the past decade.

2023 has proven to be a challenging year for ASX-listed graphite stocks including Syrah Resources (ASX: SYR), Talga Group (ASX: TLG) and Renascor Resources (ASX: RNU) – which are down a respective 56%, 8% and 14% year-to-date.

So what’s the play – Is now an opportune time to nibble on graphite stocks? Or is it time to hang up the gloves and admit that lithium is the better battery metal?

In this piece and with the help of Fat Tail Investments’ James Cooper, we take a look at how graphite’s performed so far this year, what the near term looks like and the state of play for ASX-listed graphite names.

The story so far: Weak macro, struggling prices

What makes graphite such a tricky sector is that:

1. Prices are very opaque
  2. Most of its current demand comes from industrial sectors for applications such as furnaces, kilns and boilers.
“When people look at graphite as an investment idea, they tend to think about its role as an anode material for EV batteries. But right now, around a quarter of graphite supply goes into making anodes. It’s quite a small amount,” said Cooper.

Graphite flake prices in China are down between 8-20% in the last twelve months, according to Fastmarkets. While prices in Europe are beginning to turn after a lengthy downward trend.

2023-06-13%2009_22_44-China%E2%80%99s%20flake%20and%20spherical%20graphite%20prices%20fall%20further%20as%20European%20flake%20marke.png
European flake graphite prices (Source: Fastmarkets)
“Market sentiment remained bearish against the backdrop of sluggish demand in the downstream refractories and anode sectors,” the report said, which also provided commentary from various industry users:

• “There are only sporadic inquiries these days. And even if there is a deal, it is only for a small volume,” a trader in China said. “It is difficult to find any large orders under the current circumstances.”
  • Elsewhere on the supply side, some producers have slowed or even temporarily halted their operations to keep prices from falling further, according to a second trader in China.
  • “There has been a slowdown in the steel market, so we have not needed much material recently,” a consumer in Europe said. “We last bought in September and are only coming back to the market now.”
  • “We really do not know if prices have bottomed out. It will depend on how demand evolves worldwide, and it will mainly depend on Chinese demand for spherical graphite,” a trader in Europe said.
Cooper also flagged synthetic graphite as another area that could be driving down graphite prices. Synthetic graphite is produced via a heat treatment process that causes carbon atoms to rearrange themselves into a crystalline structure that has higher conductivity, strength and purity than natural graphite.

“If energy prices are low, it makes synthetic graphite more viable. If energy prices rise, then we could actually see upward pressure in graphite prices because synthetic becomes less viable,” he said.

Graphite anode prices, both synthetic and natural, hit record highs in the first half of 2022 – When oil prices were trading as high as US$130 a barrel.

Where do we go from here?

Supply: China has the world’s largest graphite reserves but the majority of these reserves are low-grade, with flake sizes of less than 80 microns (not suitable for batteries and EVs). “A lot of areas in China have been shut down because of declining grades as well as strict environmental regulations,” said Cooper.

“But I don’t think we’re going to see an immediate cut in supply from China over the next 12 or so months.”

Demand: EVs only make up approximately 25% of current graphite demand. Which means two things:

1. The graphite market is still heavily dominated by macro events
  2. This creates a massive runway for future uptake
Cooper referenced the research from Benchmark Minerals Intelligence, which suggests that global natural and synthetic graphite production needs to rise by 550% and 150% respectively by 2035 to meet “exceptional volumes of demand.”

Graphite_supply_versus_demand.png
Source: Benchmark Minerals Intelligence
But for now, graphite remains an industrial metal and given China’s subdued steelmaking and real estate industry – It’s got a bit of work cut out for it.

The state of play for ASX-listed graphite stocks

A few months ago, I wanted to provide a simple way for investors to see which ASX-listed graphite stock provided the best value for money based on 1) Market cap and 2) Mineral resource. You can read the full article here.

In summary:

• Names like Volt Resources (ASX: VRC), Syrah (ASX: SYR), Black Rock Mining (ASX: BKT), Ecograf (ASX: EGR) and Sovereign Metals (ASX: SVM) offered a better bang for buck
  • Names like Talga (ASX: TLG), Renascor (ASX: RNU) and Quantum Graphite (ASX: QGL) were more expensive
  • The ‘cheaper’ projects are all located in Africa while the more ‘expensive’ ones were all located in Australia or Europe

A tier-1 jurisdiction vs. Bigger resource

The data flags a bit of trade-off among ASX-listed graphite names. Should investors opt for those in tier 1 jurisdictions or those with a cheaper price tag and larger resource but based in Africa?

“Because graphite prices are still depressed, there’s not really any incentive to take on the extra risk of investing in Africa. Your focus should probably be on quality explorers and developers in stable jurisdictions,” said Cooper.

He also noted that the US Inflation Reduction Act – which offers partial tax breaks for critical minerals extracted or processed in countries with which the US has a free trade agreement – does not include Africa.

Stocks of interest: Syrah, Sovereign Metals & Renascor

Syrah is the largest ASX-listed graphite play and operates the Balama Graphite Operation in Mozambique. In late April, the company said it plans to “lower capacity utilisation to match periods of volatile customer demand and lower sales ordering,” which should not be surprising given the commentary from Fastmarkets.

“I don’t think there’s anything wrong with lowering output. It’s a strategic decision based on current prices. We saw a lot of uranium producers do the same thing five to six years ago during a trough in spot prices,” said Cooper.

In the context of longer-term fundamentals, “Syrah is one of the standouts because it’s a producer that’s outside of China, which is quite rare. If some geopolitical tensions between the West and China pick it, that could be a boost for companies like Syrah.”

As for where Syrah stands right now, “I would be a little hesitant still. I would be looking more into 2024 as a time where graphite demand could pick up,” said Cooper.

Syrah%20Resources%20Ltd%20(ASX_SYR)%20Share%20Price%20-%20Market%20Index.png
Syrah 12-month price chart (Source: Market Index)
As for interesting picks, Cooper brought Sovereign Metals to the table. The company operates the Kasiya Project in Malawi, which has the largest natural rutile deposit and one of the largest flake graphite deposits in the world.

“I think this [rutile] adds attraction because it has another element that’s not graphite, which I still see a bit of weakness over the next few months.”

Sovereign%20Metals%20Ltd%20(ASX_SVM)%20Share%20Price%20-%20Market%20Index.png
Sovereign Metals 12-month price chart (Source: Market Index)
Processing graphite is typically quite polluting and damaging to the environment, which makes Renascor another interesting pick. The company is developing its Siviour Graphite Project in South Australia. Over the last five years, Renascor has developed a purification process that eliminates the use of hydrofluoric acid.

“I think this will appeal to the Tesla’s and the big EV manufacturers that they can advertise this to,” said Cooper.

RNU.png
Renascor 12-month price chart (Source: Market Index)
This article was first published for Market Index on Tuesday, 13 June 2023."

https://www.livewiremarkets.com/wires/a-turnaround-for-graphite-is-brewing-which-asx-miners-should-you-be-watching

• Fire
In summary:

Ecograf.......................?.................They are joking surely ?

EGR is little more than a lifestyle company for it's BoD. Still no mine still no progress after 10 years. Just lots of nice air tickets to conferences and swish hotels...............................what a joke they are

• Fire

cosors

👀
Ecograf.......................?.................They are joking surely ?

EGR is little more than a lifestyle company for it's BoD. Still no mine still no progress after 10 years. Just lots of nice air tickets to conferences and swish hotels...............................what a joke they are
I agree with you completely. At the very beginning they were still interesting for me. Then they came up with the NV feint without informing their shareholders about the true situation. If I followed it correctly, since my interest had faded, they put their mine on the back burner and focused on recycling with the plant at NV, which will never be built. And how fast is how much money being made on recycling?
...offered a better bang for buck
I may be wrong as I did not follow it further. I wondered what reality their board was/is living in.

Don't worry about the report. As a German I am used to the fact that our European resource does not want to be seen, even if they are aware that there is a huge discrepancy in graphite and the demand and supply. Yesterday I read in a big magazine (Focus) and the main article on the front page that Germany lacks 99% of the needed graphite for self-sufficiency away from China.

I think we just need patience and irgedwann no one can get past it because it is there. Later we will know more how long that will be.

Last edited:

cosors

👀
I don't know if already posted

"Talga Group's post​

View the organization page for Talga Group
Talga Group
4,599 followers
2 v

At the EU-US Trade and Technology meeting in Luleå, Sweden, we had the opportunity to showcase Talga's contributions to the green transition. High-level attendees included US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, European Commission Vice-President Margrethe Vestager, Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs, Tobias Billström, Swedish Deputy Prime Minister, Ebba Busch and European Commissioner for Internal market, Thierry Breton. We are proud to stand among companies leading the green transition, and eager to continue these important discussions! 🌎 🌱 #TTC #EU2023SE #TalgaGroup #GreenTransition
  • No alt caption on this image
    "
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/talg...7069971596098117632-cfsb?originalSubdomain=se

• Fire

cosors

👀
  • Love
Top Bottom