BRN - Mercedes

Info only

Reactions: 10 users
The following Rob Telson podcast has been posted and commented upon over on the main thread but the Mercedes specific comments are very relevant to this thread.

Firstly Rob Telson is obviously prohibited from using Mercedes name but in not mentioning its name he makes in my opinion the statement that Mercedes has adopted AKIDA for “Hey Mercedes” full stop and are working on other implementations.

If this is a reasonable view then the revenue across every Mercedes for “Hey Mercedes” voice will be very, very nice.

Listen to the podcast and form your own opinion.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Fire
Reactions: 17 users
Yes I did notice he didn't name them..why wouldn't he be allowed to given its now public information FF, could it have been recorded prior to the Mercedes release?
No if you listen again I am confident Rob Telson references the fact that they have already revealed using AKIDA. I gave my opinion on why at some length over on the main thread but put simply. Mercedes Benz is the 1000 pound gorilla and they have an NDA which allows them to dictate the narrative. Brainchip being the 50 pound weakling have to smile as sand is kicked in their face.

This is an unkind view from the perspective of a Brainchip shareholder.

If I were a Mercedes Benz shareholder I would say this is fair and reasonable. Mercedes Benz is investing billions of dollars in converting to EV by 2030 and it is a make or break for this great company. Accordingly it needs to have complete control over the narrative. Brainchip will do very well off the back of adoption of their technology by Mercedes Benz and Mercedes Benz was very generous in releasing to the world that they had validated AKD1000 as being 6 to 10 times more power efficient than anything else in the market.

Personally if I was in charge of Mercedes Benz I also would want to be in complete control of the narrative in these circumstances.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Fire
Reactions: 15 users
No he did not name Mercedes sorry if I confused.

I believe by implication when he was speaking about an Automobile Manufacturer having revealed they were using AKIDA in their concept EV designed to prove they could achieve 1,000k range it has to be Mercedes and that this podcast has to have been recorded after the reveal we all know about. FF

• Thinking
Reactions: 7 users

RobjHunt

Regular
The following Rob Telson podcast has been posted and commented upon over on the main thread but the Mercedes specific comments are very relevant to this thread.

Firstly Rob Telson is obviously prohibited from using Mercedes name but in not mentioning its name he makes in my opinion the statement that Mercedes has adopted AKIDA for “Hey Mercedes” full stop and are working on other implementations.

If this is a reasonable view then the revenue across every Mercedes for “Hey Mercedes” voice will be very, very nice.

Listen to the podcast and form your own opinion.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Most certainly FF

Pantene!

Reactions: 4 users

RobjHunt

Regular
No if you listen again I am confident Rob Telson references the fact that they have already revealed using AKIDA. I gave my opinion on why at some length over on the main thread but put simply. Mercedes Benz is the 1000 pound gorilla and they have an NDA which allows them to dictate the narrative. Brainchip being the 50 pound weakling have to smile as sand is kicked in their face.

This is an unkind view from the perspective of a Brainchip shareholder.

If I were a Mercedes Benz shareholder I would say this is fair and reasonable. Mercedes Benz is investing billions of dollars in converting to EV by 2030 and it is a make or break for this great company. Accordingly it needs to have complete control over the narrative. Brainchip will do very well off the back of adoption of their technology by Mercedes Benz and Mercedes Benz was very generous in releasing to the world that they had validated AKD1000 as being 6 to 10 times more power efficient than anything else in the market.

Personally if I was in charge of Mercedes Benz I also would want to be in complete control of the narrative in these circumstances.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Once again I believe you’ve hit the nail right on the head.

Reactions: 6 users

TasTroy77

Founding Member
I could say it is the pedant in me but it is actually the prosecutor pointing out that in this article quotation marks are used either side of a statement attributed to Mercedes that

‘Mercedes says the system reduces energy consumption "by orders of magnitude."

One order of magnitude is ten. Orders of magnitude means multiples of 10.

The “Hey Mercedes” is said to be 6 to 10 times more energy efficient. As such it is at best one order of magnitude not multiples of one order of magnitude.

It seems clear at least to me that this direct quote is clear evidence that AKIDA is doing far more than “Hey Mercedes”.

If this is not the case the journalist has deliberately misquoted his source at Mercedes which seems highly unlikely.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Current Mercedes models are using the MBUX voice control assistant. "Hey Mercedes " I assume @Fact Finder that this is the original version without the superlative benefits provided by AKIDA.

So it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the next run of new Models in the general Mercedes Benz range would be using AKIDA in the MBUX Hey Mercedes function especially since it was blatantly mentioned in the concept car vision Equx
The integration in the new models.
This linked in page says" next generation MBUX system makes your drive more intuitive and safer than ever before "

Screenshot_20220308-075204_LinkedIn.jpg

• Fire
Reactions: 19 users
Current Mercedes models are using the MBUX voice control assistant. "Hey Mercedes " I assume @Fact Finder that this is the original version without the superlative benefits provided by AKIDA.

So it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the next run of new Models in the general Mercedes Benz range would be using AKIDA in the MBUX Hey Mercedes function especially since it was blatantly mentioned in the concept car vision Equx
The integration in the new models.
This linked in page says" next generation MBUX system makes your drive more intuitive and safer than ever before "

View attachment 2307
All I can say is I agree and repost this which Terroni found and shared. The first three paragraphs are definitive:

1646690015834.jpeg

• Fire
Reactions: 27 users

Murphy

Life is not a dress rehearsal!
No he did not name Mercedes sorry if I confused.

I believe by implication when he was speaking about an Automobile Manufacturer having revealed they were using AKIDA in their concept EV designed to prove they could achieve 1,000k range it has to be Mercedes and that this podcast has to have been recorded after the reveal we all know about. FF
Did they actually credit Akida with the extended range in the car or is that a natural assumption because they did admit to the Voice Assistant use? Hope we are not getting ahead of ourselves. That said, I am the eternal optimist!

If you don't have dreams, you can't have dreams come true!

Reactions: 2 users

Draed

Regular
Reactions: 3 users
Did they actually credit Akida with the extended range in the car or is that a natural assumption because they did admit to the Voice Assistant use? Hope we are not getting ahead of ourselves. That said, I am the eternal optimist!

What they said was they have managed to reduce power consumption to an extent where 95% of the power available goes to the driving wheels. Implicit in this statement is that everything they have in the vehicle other than the motors driving the wheels have been optimised to reduce their power consumption to an absolute minimum and when speaking about AKIDA technology they state that for "Hey Mercedes" it is 5 to 10 times more efficient than the alternatives. So it seems a logical and reasonable conclusion that part of the reason why they have been able to limit everything else beyond the driving wheels to just 5% of the power consumed is because the efficiency of the EQXX is down to "the way it thinks." The only computing that Schafer talks about after using this phrase is neuromorphic computing from Brainchip.

Sometimes even though you lead a thirsty horse to water it will not drink. The fact that the thirsty horse will not drink does not mean it is not water. I am more than happy to believe that part of the reason the EQXX is able to achieve 1,000 kilometres comfortably is because of the way it thinks using AKIDA technology from the Artificial intelligence experts at Brainchip.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
PS: I also have in mind the statement by Rob Telson late last year I think it is in a Perspective he wrote that AKIDA was going to allow the first 1,000 mile EV. What I do not know is whether because Rob Telson is American if he should have said kilometres. His statement only makes sense if you say he did leaving aside Mercedes EQXX because a 1,000 mile range would be impossible in my opinion given what Mercedes had to do across their whole vehicle to achieve a comfortable 1,000 kilometre range which is revolutionary.

Reactions: 17 users

Diogenese

Top 20
All I can say is I agree and repost this which Terroni found and shared. The first three paragraphs are definitive:

View attachment 2310
Coming into this discussion blind.

1646795980156.png
Reducing energy consumption by orders of magnitude but only being 10 times more efficient seems contradictory, but I think they are comparing apples and cheese.

The EQXX voice assistant MBUX uses Akida as the "speech-to-text*" front end to identify the words of the driver. This speech recognition segment feeds into a CPU/MPU/GPU which then acts on the recognized speech, so if we assume for the sake of the discussion that the whole system used, for example, 10 watts using a software "speech-to-text" application run on CPU/GPU/MPU, then replacing the "speech-to-text" software with Akida reduced the overall system power consumption to between 1 Watt and 2 Watts to get the stated range of 5 to 10 times more efficient.

This could be because when Akida has identified the words, it is merely a look-up job for the CPU... to identify the correct response. That is, the speech recognition software uses up to 10 times as much energy as the response generation part of the system, so replacing the speech recognition software with Akida greatly reduces the energy required for speech recognition.

Speech to text conversion, while a doddle for Akida, is quite energy-intensive in software. For example, CNN software (usually used for image classification) can be adapted for speech recognition.

*"Speech-to-text" is the industry jargon for the speech recognition in voice assistants like Alexa and Cortana.

• Fire
Reactions: 8 users

If they weren't interested in the efficiency - extended range factor then they probably would have stuck with the NVidia Drive platform that runs through the EQS

Reactions: 2 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Good find, I like it. It poses the question! Are Sonantic working with BRN? Had a little play in Google Land and found they have AI and Machine Perception. When I get time will continue searching. They do a lot of work in voice for gaming. Never known gaming to be a big money maker lol.

SC
Sonantic have 3 patent applications. Two are not yet available on Espacenet as they were only disembargoed earlier this month.

GB2590509A A text-to-speech synthesis method and system, a method of training a text-to-speech synthesis system, and a method of calculating an expressivity score

There is a continuing need to improve TTS synthesis systems. In particular, there is a need to improve the quality of speech generated by TTS systems such that the speech generated retains vocal expressiveness. Expressive speech may convey emotional information and sounds natural, realistic and human-like. TTS systems often comprise algorithms that need to be trained using training samples and there is a continuing need to improve the method by which the TTS system is trained such that the TTS system generates expressive speech.

Akida provides the speech-to-text input as a control signal to a CPU/GPU/MPU which runs the Sonantic system to generate an appropriate response.

• Fire
Reactions: 10 users
Sonantic have 3 patent applications. Two are not yet available on Espacenet as they were only disembargoed earlier this month.

GB2590509A A text-to-speech synthesis method and system, a method of training a text-to-speech synthesis system, and a method of calculating an expressivity score

There is a continuing need to improve TTS synthesis systems. In particular, there is a need to improve the quality of speech generated by TTS systems such that the speech generated retains vocal expressiveness. Expressive speech may convey emotional information and sounds natural, realistic and human-like. TTS systems often comprise algorithms that need to be trained using training samples and there is a continuing need to improve the method by which the TTS system is trained such that the TTS system generates expressive speech.

Akida provides the speech-to-text input as a control signal to a CPU/GPU/MPU which runs the Sonantic system to generate an appropriate response.
Thanks Dio! A question from someone who has no tech background and could put my knowledge on the head of a pin.
Figure 2 has CNN going to LSTM. Is this CNN2SNN and Akida 2000.

SC

Murphy

Life is not a dress rehearsal!
What they said was they have managed to reduce power consumption to an extent where 95% of the power available goes to the driving wheels. Implicit in this statement is that everything they have in the vehicle other than the motors driving the wheels have been optimised to reduce their power consumption to an absolute minimum and when speaking about AKIDA technology they state that for "Hey Mercedes" it is 5 to 10 times more efficient than the alternatives. So it seems a logical and reasonable conclusion that part of the reason why they have been able to limit everything else beyond the driving wheels to just 5% of the power consumed is because the efficiency of the EQXX is down to "the way it thinks." The only computing that Schafer talks about after using this phrase is neuromorphic computing from Brainchip.

Sometimes even though you lead a thirsty horse to water it will not drink. The fact that the thirsty horse will not drink does not mean it is not water. I am more than happy to believe that part of the reason the EQXX is able to achieve 1,000 kilometres comfortably is because of the way it thinks using AKIDA technology from the Artificial intelligence experts at Brainchip.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
PS: I also have in mind the statement by Rob Telson late last year I think it is in a Perspective he wrote that AKIDA was going to allow the first 1,000 mile EV. What I do not know is whether because Rob Telson is American if he should have said kilometres. His statement only makes sense if you say he did leaving aside Mercedes EQXX because a 1,000 mile range would be impossible in my opinion given what Mercedes had to do across their whole vehicle to achieve a comfortable 1,000 kilometre range which is revolutionary.
Thank you, my friend. I have been using the range thing to urge others to get on board. I hate to think I was misinterpreting. Thanks again for getting back to me.

• Fire
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Just remembered to go an find where Rob Telson made the statement regarding 1,000 miles/kilometres.

It was the last Brainchip Perspective titled 'Brainchip Gives the Green Light to Automotive Innovation' dated November 4th, 2021 and he wrote:

Conclusion

The automotive industry is undergoing a tremendous transformation right now. From government mandates requiring manufacturers to move away from gas-powered vehicles to businesses looking to minimize labour costs by adopting autonomous vehicles, the future begins now.

AI and Deep Learning tools are already being deployed in the industry in an attempt to make these cars smarter and safer. But much like implementing radios into cars in the early 20th Century, there are issues and complexities that are complicating these efforts. By moving AI out of the data centre to the location where data is created, a lot of these problems can be averted.

BrainChip’s Akida AI neural processor is an event-based technology that is inherently lower power when compared to conventional neural network processors. By allowing incremental learning and high-speed inferencing, Akida overcomes current technology barriers through a high-performance, low-cost, very efficient low-power solution. It’s the kind of solution that is music to the ears of automotive manufactures and OEM’s looking to bring their ideas to life. 1000 miles on a single charge here we come!

BrainChip: This is our Mission​

To learn more about how BrainChip’s approach to automotive sensor applications gives the green light to innovation, visit https://brainchipinc.com/automotive/

The more I think about whether he intended 1,000 kilometres the more I believe this must have been his intent and miles is a hangover from his being American and brought up on imperial measurements. The Americans just love everything Royal and just could not bring themselves to give up the last vestiges of being a colonial outpost by switching to metric. LOL If he really meant miles he is suggesting 1,609.344 kilometres which is insane given AKIDA still has to rely upon the current battery technology and he is speaking about real world motor vehicles not one that is going to be piloted by students across the continent in a solar powered vehicle competition without any regard for normal comforts such as air-conditioning, passenger seats, entertainment systems and doors with actual hinges and all weather tyres and disc brakes. ( I have corrected the annoying American spelling of 'centre' and 'labour' just could not help myself.)

So if you accept he meant to say 1,000 kilometres and this links directly to the later announcement from Mercedes about the EQXX range then what we have here is Rob Telson in this article giving credit to AKIDA technology for making 1,000 kilometres possible.

My mate Blind Freddie just interrupted. Hang on just a minute. What was that you can't believe it has taken me this long to work this out.

Sorry about that he just likes to throw his intellect around but he will be sorry. I will move the coffee table slightly, that will fix him, smug bastard.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
Top Bottom