BRN Discussion Ongoing

Diogenese

Top 20
Brainchip’s links to Tenstorrent through our partner SiFive. As mentioned they will license the X280 processor. 🌍🍻
View attachment 41481

View attachment 41482

And don't forget SAMSUNG and HYUNDAI have just given $100M to Tenstorrent to fast track there AI chips.
View attachment 41483
Hi Benny,

Jim Keller needs "that spike thingy" urgently:

https://docs.tenstorrent.com/tenstorrent/tenstorrent-pcie-cards/getting-started/minimum-requirements

System Power Supply Budget the appropriate power per card when choosing the power supply. An additional 75, 150, or 300 watts should be budgeted for each e75, e150, or e300 card.

Internet Connection Internet access is needed for driver and stack installation.

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 27 users
Just another recent comparison table from a July 23 paper.

Something that was interesting and wrong if I understand correctly, is they list Akida as analog?

Either way, we're still better haha

I actually think the biggest hurdle for us at the mo is industry understanding the process given it's essentially black box tech and also having the best hardware to implement.

Neuromorphic Neuromodulation:
Towards the next generation of on-device
AI-revolution in electroceuticals

Luis Fernando Herbozo Contreras, Nhan Duy Truong Member, IEEE, Jason K. Eshraghian Member, IEEE,
Zhangyu Xu, Zhaojing Huang, Armin Nikpour, Omid Kavehei Senior Member, IEEE

Paper:

HERE

Screenshot_2023-08-06-12-52-33-52_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 20 users

wilzy123

Founding Member
Just another recent comparison table from a July 23 paper.

Something that was interesting and wrong if I understand correctly, is they list Akida as analog?

Either way, we're still better haha

I actually think the biggest hurdle for us at the mo is industry understanding the process given it's essentially black box tech and also having the best hardware to implement.

Neuromorphic Neuromodulation:
Towards the next generation of on-device
AI-revolution in electroceuticals

Luis Fernando Herbozo Contreras, Nhan Duy Truong Member, IEEE, Jason K. Eshraghian Member, IEEE,
Zhangyu Xu, Zhaojing Huang, Armin Nikpour, Omid Kavehei Senior Member, IEEE

Paper:

HERE

View attachment 41499
Yeah I noticed that too... definitely a mistake, definitely digital.

Also - under GSOPS/W... what kinda value is "Akida".

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I went to the Latrobe Uni open day today with my son. He is looking at studying Computer Science or Cybersecurity when he finishes VCE, We went on a tour of the computer science school and there were lecturers that spoke about each of the topics. One of the talks was by their lead in Artificial Intelligence and he spoke of two technologies they have developed. One relates to AI used to analyse the swimming performance of our olympic/national swimming team, and the other related to AI used to analyse all the pixels in an image of a slice through a cancerous tumour and determining the most suitable course of treatment. The lecturer mentioned that most of the AI taught relates to the visual modality and language models. When he finished he asked the audience if they had any questions. I put my hand up and made mention of this company from Perth that had an AI solution that covered all 5 modalities as well as radar, Lidar, etc. After I finished talking, he said he had never heard of Brainchip or AKIDA, and wasn't aware of any technology that covered the other modalities.

I find this strange, but perhaps an opportunity for the company to get in with some of the Australian Universities, not just the ones in the US of A.

So, Tony, or any of the other Brainchip employees are reading this, perhaps it should be something worth exploring.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 68 users

Dhm

Regular
I went to the Latrobe Uni open day today with my son. He is looking at studying Computer Science or Cybersecurity when he finishes VCE, We went on a tour of the computer science school and there were lecturers that spoke about each of the topics. One of the talks was by their lead in Artificial Intelligence and he spoke of two technologies they have developed. One relates to AI used to analyse the swimming performance of our olympic/national swimming team, and the other related to AI used to analyse all the pixels in an image of a slice through a cancerous tumour and determining the most suitable course of treatment. The lecturer mentioned that most of the AI taught relates to the visual modality and language models. When he finished he asked the audience if they had any questions. I put my hand up and made mention of this company from Perth that had an AI solution that covered all 5 modalities as well as radar, Lidar, etc. After I finished talking, he said he had never heard of Brainchip or AKIDA, and wasn't aware of any technology that covered the other modalities.

I find this strange, but perhaps an opportunity for the company to get in with some of the Australian Universities, not just the ones in the US of A.

So, Tony, or any of the other Brainchip employees are reading this, perhaps it should be something worth exploring.
One thing I have learned in life is don’t hope or expect others to get something done. Get it done yourself. Send TD an email, and just for good measure follow up on the uni professor/lecturer as well. Well done for planting yet another seed which could lead to something better for both our universities and students.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 57 users

equanimous

Norse clairvoyant shapeshifter goddess

Having a quick look, Australian universities cover a wide range of Neural networks and Neuromorphic in their courses. This then leads graduates to places such as CSIRO as below,

Data61
Robotics and Autonomous Systems Group

• Paper: Parameter Optimization and Learning in a Spiking Neural Network for UAV Obstacle Avoidance targeting Neuromorphic Processors

Paper: Parameter Optimization and Learning in a Spiking Neural Network for UAV Obstacle Avoidance targeting Neuromorphic Processors​

October 18th, 2019
The Lobula giant movement detector (LGMD) is an identified neuron of the locust that detects looming objects and triggers the insect’s escape responses. Understanding the neural principles and network structure that leads to these fast and robust responses can facilitate the design of efficient obstacle avoidance strategies for robotic applications.
Here, we present a neuromorphic spiking neural network model of the LGMD driven by the output of a neuromorphic dynamic vision sensor (DVS), which incorporates spiking frequency adaptation and synaptic plasticity mechanisms, and which can be mapped onto existing neuromorphic processor chips.
However, as the model has a wide range of parameters and the mixed-signal analog-digital circuits used to implement the model are affected by variability and noise, it is necessary to optimize the parameters to produce robust and reliable responses.
Here, we propose to use differential evolution (DE) and Bayesian optimization (BO) techniques to optimize the parameter space and investigate the use of self-adaptive DE (SADE) to ameliorate the difficulties of finding appropriate input parameters for the DE technique.
We quantify the performance of the methods proposed with a comprehensive comparison of different optimizers applied to the model and demonstrate the validity of the approach proposed using recordings made from a DVS sensor mounted on an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).
Llewyn Salt, David Howard, Giacomo Indiveri, Yulia Sandamirskaya. Parameter Optimization and Learning in a Spiking Neural Network for UAV Obstacle Avoidance Targeting Neuromorphic Processors. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

equanimous

Norse clairvoyant shapeshifter goddess

Looks like Intel came to the party, at least we partnered with them. Wish we knew what that entails exactly.

QUEENSLAND UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY

QUT - the university for the real world

QUT selected by Intel for advanced robotics project​

1. News
  2. QUT selected by Intel for advanced robotics project
news-image

29th September 2022
QUT has been selected by Intel Labs to conduct research using cutting-edge technology to boost the way robots see the world.
QUT Centre for Robotics researchers Dr Tobias Fischer, Professor Michael Milford, and PhD student Somayeh Hussaini, have received a grant from Intel’s Neuromorphic Computing Lab for their project which will use Intel’s Loihi 2 neuromorphic research chip.
Neuromorphic computing is based on the principles of biological neural computation and uses new algorithmic approaches that emulate how the human brain interacts with the world to deliver capabilities closer to human cognition.
The chip uses spiking neural networks (SNNs), which are novel computer models that closely resemble the neurons in our brains and simulate natural learning by dynamically re-mapping neural networks, to make decisions in response to learned patterns over time.
“Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM) algorithms are at the heart of autonomous mobile vehicles deployed in unknown, GPS-deprived, or dynamic environments,” Dr Fischer said.
“Our project will focus on Visual Place Recognition, a particularly challenging part of SLAM that requires robust recognition and discrimination of hundreds of thousands of locations in different conditions,” Dr Tobias Fischer said.
“This will include ‘slow’ adaptation (urban vs rural, or day vs night) as well as ‘fast’ adaptation (sudden onset of rain, entering tunnels). Continuous adaptation is very challenging as it is impossible to cover all environment variations in the training data,” he said.
news-image
(From left) Professor Michael Milford, PhD student Somayeh Hussaini and Dr Tobias Fis

• Sad
  • Fire
Reactions: 8 users

wilzy123

Founding Member

Glad to hear you had a great day, and I do hope your son receives an offer for his preferred course. I actually work at La Trobe. When BRN announced they were starting their university accelerator program, my first thought was to let the IT/Engineering department know. Clearly it must have fell on deaf ears and/or I need to do a better job at spruiking it. I can't think of anything cooler than having something cutting edge like akida being part of curriculum if I were a student again.

Thanks for bringing this up on Open Day with that lecturer. I will also follow this up at work again too.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 54 users
Glad to hear you had a great day, and I do hope your son receives an offer for his preferred course. I actually work at La Trobe. When BRN announced they were starting their university accelerator program, my first thought was to let the IT/Engineering department know. Clearly it must have fell on deaf ears and/or I need to do a better job at spruiking it. I can't think of anything cooler than having something cutting edge like akida being part of curriculum if I were a student again.

Thanks for bringing this up on Open Day with that lecturer. I will also follow this up at work again too.

This was the lecturer (Professor), who gave the talk:

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

wilzy123

Founding Member
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 37 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Hi Benny,

Jim Keller needs "that spike thingy" urgently:

https://docs.tenstorrent.com/tenstorrent/tenstorrent-pcie-cards/getting-started/minimum-requirements

System Power Supply Budget the appropriate power per card when choosing the power supply. An additional 75, 150, or 300 watts should be budgeted for each e75, e150, or e300 card.

Internet Connection Internet access is needed for driver and stack installation.
Looks like Jim's motto is:
"We're gonna need a bigger wrecking ball!"

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Frangipani

Regular
The below Carl Zeiss Foundation-funded five year research project at Ilmenau Technical University (July 2023 - June 2028 resp. October 2023 - September 2028, depending on which website you consult) got my Akida-detector sensor tingling, but of course it could be a false positive, given my error-prone sensor doesn’t yet have ‘Akida inside’… 😊 Also involved in the project are another three institutions from the German state of Thüringen (Thuringia): Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, the Fraunhofer Institute for Digital Media Technology IDMT and the IMMS Institute for Microelectronic and Mechatronic Systems.

On a side note: did the foundation’s budget not allow for another “measly” € 1000 to round it up to € 5 million instead of funding merely “4.999.000 €?” 🤣
(In German we use decimal points instead of commas to structure large numbers and in turn use a comma instead of a decimal point, just in case you were wondering…)

Well, who knows, the Carl Zeiss Foundation may have wisely decided to invest the money saved in BRN shares instead - by the time Tradegate’s closing bell rang on Friday, that amount would have bought them 4344 shares, which will be worth so much more one day.

Neumorphic acoustic sensor technology for high-performance hearing aids of tomorrow (NeuroSensEar)​

Only 41% of people with hearing loss use a hearing aid. NeuroSensEar aims to improve the acceptance of and provision with hearing aids by increasing performance. To this end, bio-inspired sensor technology is combined with sound analysis.

Goals​

More than 11% of people in the EU are affected by hearing loss, but only 41% use a hearing aid. The reasons for this are problems in understanding speech and in adapting the devices to the patient. The project goal is therefore to improve the acceptance of and provision of hearing aids by significantly increasing their performance. The adaptation to the patient and different hearing situations is to be greatly facilitated and automated. To this end, principles of biological information processing will be integrated into hearing aid technology and auditory perception will be investigated for better hearing comprehension. Persons with hearing impairment should thus regain their hearing perception to a large extent. Bio-inspired sensory technology and speech processing are mutually linked for this purpose. The bio-inspired system, i.e. neuromorphic system, will consist of MEMS-based sensor technology and artificial neural networks. The interdisciplinary project team is concerned with sensor development, bio-inspired control and adaptation of the sensor technology, speech processing, situation recognition for sensor control as well as lifelong learning for it and its use in a new hearing aid technology.

Involved persons:​

Dr. Phil-Alan Gärtig​

Program Manager
Phone: +49 (0)711 - 162213 - 10
E-mail: phil-alan.gaertig@carl-zeiss-stiftung.de

Prof. Dr. Martin Ziegler​

Technische Universität Ilmenau

Detailed information:​

Focus topic:Life Science Technologies
Programme:CZS Breakthroughs
Type of funding:Project funding programmes
Target group:Professors
Funding budget:4.999.000 €
Period of time:Juli 2023 - Juni 2028

Funded institution:​

Technische Universität Ilmenau

NeuroSensEar: Bio-inspired technology for highly efficient hearing aids​

Wissenschaftlerin und Wissenschaftler arbeiten am Sensor
TU Ilmenau/ariInvestigation of the smart sensor compared to a classic microphone

In the large-scale collaborative research project NeuroSensEar, the Technische Universität Ilmenau is developing a biology-inspired technology that makes highly efficient hearing aids possible. People with hearing impairment should thus largely regain their ability to perceive hearing. The Carl Zeiss Foundation is funding the five-year research project, which starts in October and has a total volume of more than 5.5 million euros, with almost five million euros as part of the "CZS Breakthroughs" funding program. In addition to TU Ilmenau, the Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, the Fraunhofer Institute for Digital Media Technology IDMT and the IMMS Institute for Microelectronic and Mechatronic Systems are involved in the project.

More than eleven percent of people in the European Union are affected by hearing loss, but only 41 percent of them use a hearing aid because they cannot understand speech satisfactorily even with a device. Others forgo a hearing aid because fitting by a professional is often costly and time-consuming. Conventional hearing aids analyze sound and emphasize important signals, especially speech, over unimportant signals and background noise, such as street noise or background sounds. To do this, all sound signals are filtered and analyzed. But hearing aids are reaching their limits.

Challenge for current hearing aids: filtering complex sound situations​

The more sound sources there are, for example in train station halls or restaurants, the more difficult it is for hearing aids to separate the important signal speech from background noise. In addition, the programs that improve hearing perception even in such complex listening scenarios consume so much computing power and energy that they cannot be used in battery-powered hearing aids.

Goal: Increase acceptance of hearing aids through intelligent, adaptive sensor technology​

The goal of the NeuroSensEar project ("Neuromorphic acoustic sensor technology for powerful hearing aids of tomorrow") is to increase the acceptance of hearing aids among the general public and thus improve care for people with hearing loss. At the heart of the innovative technology is an intelligent sensor that automatically adapts to the respective hearing situation and the individual hearing loss of the user. For this purpose, the sensor is equipped with a control system that reacts in real time to changing acoustic scenarios, for example in the living room or at the train station, and learns new hearing scenarios throughout its life. Its lifelong learning ability enables the sensor to pick up mainly the important signals more and more effectively: Speech signals, for example, would be picked up with higher gain and sensitivity, while background noise would be attenuated. By enabling better listening comprehension, future hearing systems would thus not only be more powerful: More computing power with the same, if not lower, energy consumption also makes them more efficient.

The human ear as a model​

Sensor in der Detailaufnahme
TU Ilmenau/ari
The smart sensor will be at the heart of innovative hearing aids

The innovative sensor can be used in hearing aids of all kinds: Mainly in hearing aids and hearables, which are headphones with additional functions such as speech comprehension enhancement and noise suppression, but also in cochlear implants, i.e. hearing prostheses for the severely hearing impaired for whom hearing aids are not sufficient, and for the deaf whose auditory nerve is still functional. In developing the innovative hearing aid technology, the scientists were inspired by the biological information processing of the human auditory system. In particular, the strong adaptability of the sensor technology, the signal processing integrated into the sensor and the close link between sensor and sound processing borrow from the capabilities of the human auditory system.

Strong Thuringian research network​

Three groups of the TU Ilmenau, the Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, the Fraunhofer Institute for Digital Media Technology IDMT and theIMMS Institut für Mikroelektronik- und Mechatronik-Systeme gemeinnützige GmbH are working together together. They are developing the smart sensor, researching bio-inspired signal processing, analyzing auditory perception and working on increasing the efficiency of the sensor system and on lifelong learning. The Animal Physiology group at Friedrich Schiller University Jena is studying the biological principles of auditory signal processing, among other things, using various insects.

About the Carl Zeiss Foundation:​

The Carl Zeiss Foundation aims to create scope for scientific breakthroughs. As a partner of excellent science, it supports both basic research and application-oriented research and teaching in the STEM disciplines (mathematics, computer science, natural sciences and technology). Founded in 1889 by the physicist and mathematician Ernst Abbe, the Carl Zeiss Foundation is one of the oldest and largest private science-funding foundations in Germany. It is the sole owner of Carl Zeiss AG and SCHOTT AG. Its projects are financed from the dividend distributions of the two foundation companies.

Contact​

Dr. Claudia Lenk
Micro- and Nanoelectronic Systems
+49 3677 69-1589
claudia.lenk@tu-ilmenau.de
www.neurosensear.de

NeuroSensEar​

Neuromorphic acoustic sensor technology for high-performance hearing aids of tomorrow​

More than 11% of people in the EU are affected by hearing loss, but only 41% use a hearing aid due to continued problems with speech understanding and fitting the devices. The NeuroSensEar proket aims to improve the acceptance of and provision of hearing aids by significantly increasing their performance and greatly facilitating and automating their adaptation to the patient and different listening situations.

To achieve this, principles of biological information processing are integrated into hearing aid technology and interactive outputs for better listening comprehension are investigated, so that persons with hearing impairment largely regain their ability to perceive hearing.

Project partner​

Technische Universität Ilmenau​

Friedrich Schiller University Jena​

Fraunhofer Institute for Digital Media Technology IDMT​

IMMS Institut für Mikroelektronik- und Mechatronik-Systeme gemeinnützige GmbH (IMMS GmbH)​

Goal and implementation​

The aim is to significantly improve the acceptance and supply of hearing aids by significantly increasing their performance and greatly facilitating and automating their adaptation to the patient and different hearing situations. This will, in the long run, help to reduce the economic costs and the severe social consequences in terms of sustainable and efficient health care.
As a breakthrough, we aim to solve two main problems of current hearing aids:
1. hearing comprehension in difficult listening situations with many sound sources and low signal-to-noise ratios.
and
2. the lifelong ability to recognize, learn and act in new listening situations and demands, according to a continuous adaptation to the wearer and his/her hearing and the changing life/environment surrounding him/her.

Scientific advisory board​

Prof. Dr. Eckehard Schöll (TU Berlin, BCCN, PIK):
Expert for nonlinear dynamics
Prof. Dr. Herbert Jäger (U. Groningen):
Expert in reservoir computing/ML
Dr. Bipin Rajendran (Kings College London):
Expert for spike-based neural networks (for sensor technology)
Prof. Dr. Elisabetta Chicca (U. Groningen):
Expert in neuromorphic VLSI electronics
Prof. Dr. Manfred Kössl (Uni Frankfurt):
Expert for signal processing through the cochlea
Prof. Dr. Christian Dobel (Uniklinikum Jena):
ENT physician and expert in auditory perception

Transfer Advisory Board​

Audifon (Dr. Tamas Harczos): Thuringian hearing aid manufacturer (KIND Group)
XFAB (Dr. Gabriel Kittler): Manufacturer for MEMS and semiconductor integrated circuits

Contact​

Prof. Martin Ziegler FG Micro- and nanoelectronic systems
Dr. Claudia Lenk FG Micro- and Nanoelectronic Systems Head of Biosensorics Working Group Project Coordination
claudia.lenk@tu-ilmenau.de
+49 3677 69 1589

Funding information​

Funding source: Carl Zeiss Foundation under the funding line "CZS Breakthroughs: Life Science Technologies - Sensor Technology".
Funding volume: 4.99 million euros
Funding period: 01.10.2023 - 30.09.2028

Some observations from my side:

- One of the members of the scientific advisory board happens to be
Dr. Bipin Rajendran (Kings College London):
Expert for spike-based neural networks (for sensor technology)

On reading this, I immediately recalled the link to a King’s College press release titled King's engineers to explore brain-inspired computing in 6G telecommunications I posted a couple of weeks ago:
https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/brn-discussion-ongoing.1/post-329286
In case you wonder whether the researchers there may not even have heard about Brainchip, rest assured they have: @Fact Finder had previously dug up the fact that the King’s College researchers have known about Akida since 2019.
https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/brn-discussion-ongoing.1/post-215109

By the way, King’s College London is currently looking for both a two year post-doc position to work with Dr Bipin Rajendran on neuromorphic system design for wireless communications a well as another one with Professor Osvaldo Simeone on neuromorphic computing for wireless communications.

- Dr. Tamas Harczos from the Thuringian hearing aid manufacturer Audifon (KIND Group) is listed as one of two member of the transfer advisory board.
KIND (www.kind.com) is HUGE!
Most adults in German-speaking countries will be familiar with their slogan “Ich hab ein KIND im Ohr”.

“KIND is the market leader in Germany and one of the world's leading companies in hearing aid acoustics. With the brands KIND and audifon it covers the entire value chain of hearing aid acoustics: from development and production to qualified fitting.”

- If Akida is indeed the reason behind the innovative hearing technology to be developed with the help of funding by the Carl Zeiss Foundation, it is practically a sure bet IMO that one of Brainchip’s current or prospective (provided the research project will deliver promising interim results) NDA partners is/will be either Carl Zeiss AG or Schott AG (or both).

- Before I am getting all too excited, though, here is a caveat that I just noticed before hitting the send button when googling the second transfer advisory board’s industry partner: X-FAB. On their website www.xfabulous.com, the company states “As a pure-play foundry, we provide manufacturing and strong design support services to our customers that design analog/mixed-signal integrated circuits (ICs) and other semiconductor devices for use in their own products or the products of their customers” and “We offer our customers a broad spectrum of process technologies and sufficient manufacturing capacity (100,000 wafer starts per month) to serve the growing demand for analog/mixed-signal applications. Our wafers are manufactured based on advanced modular CMOS and SOI processes with technologies ranging from 1.0 down to 0.13 micrometer. In addition, we offer special-purpose technologies such as SiC and MEMS processes.”
So does that exclude Akida then, being fully digital?

5 min later… Strangely, I just discovered a second web domain by the same company (www.xfab.com), which has an image that reassured me I may still be on the right track, even though the company’s slogan is “Your specialty foundry FOR THE ANALOG WORLD”, as the foundry also seems to offer to manufacture in fully digital:

6FAC6648-5057-436D-A14C-B9FE70B71172.jpeg

This and more info on https://www.xfab.com/technology (which is way above my pay grade but will be helpful to some of you in deciding whether the X-FAB connection is a KO criterion).

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 34 users

Tezza

Regular
Has anyone heard any updates on gen 2? Have we had a confirmed date or just a time line.

Reactions: 3 users

Cardpro

Regular
Has anyone heard any updates on gen 2? Have we had a confirmed date or just a time line.
It is on track to be completed on Q3 :)

Hopefully, soon!

Reactions: 4 users

Boab

I wish I could paint like Vincent
Xray1
Regular
Jul 24, 2023
Add bookmark
#60,903
I think and strongly hope that Sean H is being extra very careful these days on what he has to say to keep his creditability intact as CEO:

"The Company is currently experiencing its highest ever level of commercial engagements, the volume and quality of which are improving rapidly as a larger number of customers learn about BrainChip and our 2nd Generation technology which will be available in late Q3."
The opinions and research I share are my own and I am not licensed. External links are not recommended. To be safe, conduct your own research or seek advice from a licensed financial advisor.

Stock Disclosure:
Held.

• Fire
Reactions: 17 users

Quiltman

Regular
8 weeks left in Q3, including this week.

Sometime in the next 8 weeks, the product below is released.
A market disruptor.
A privileged few have had access to this IP for sometime.

When do the shorts cover ... time is running out.
I sense the tide is turning already, with some steady accumulation.

Sit back, enjoy the next 2 months as the action ramps up on all that is BrainChip.

1691361863388.png

1691361899103.png

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 70 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users

FlipDollar

Never dog the boys
Reactions: 2 users