BRN Discussion Ongoing

JoMo68

Regular
Another of our Laguna Hills engineers leaving without having another job lined up… 🤔

It should be noted that he has since been given glowing references from his former BrainChip colleagues.

Nevertheless, he seems to have been unhappy in his job for quite a while (see his 4 month old LinkedIn comment)… What is going on? 🤔

View attachment 71324

View attachment 71325

View attachment 71330
View attachment 71331
View attachment 71332

View attachment 71334
I don’t interpret that comment as meaning he was unhappy. His interest appears to have been tweaked by this advertisement - perhaps an opportunity too great to resist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

7für7

Top 20
:)😅😂🤣
There it is again, a new combination Akido Pico
Sounds kind of Japanese

____
In your posts I usually read over typos and don't notice them. But with Akida?
It's like Intel's at that time Pentium - Pentia, Pentio, Pentiam, Pentiom - hum hum.
Always a close call.

___
Seriously, this needs to be hammered or ram into the heads of all BRN writers.
How else is someone supposed to create a brand or product?
Kuci
Bolex
Nercedes Denz - yeah
Gola
A-pod
Verrari
A-pat
Akido
Dolls-Boyce
Mc Bonald's
And so on

Yo, Akido Bollisto (y)

___
At the beginning I thought more funny, mistakes are human.
What would their company say if something was posted globally and said:
Dugatti
or
Bugatto

___
It's about building a brand. Painchip?!

I don't know why I'm so upset if the own employees do not take their texting seriously. Just letters.
Don’t forget about the legendary intil and EBM…and our partner mircrochip and contrphesee…

Domo arigato Mr. Akido

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!

Looks like some friends in Japan, with a little support from Megachips, have been playing with Akida & MetaTF :)

Apols if already posted as I may have missed it and haven't done a search.

Short video end of post.

Paper HERE

View attachment 68589

License: arXiv.org perpetual non-exclusive license
arXiv:2408.13018v1 [cs.RO] 23 Aug 2024

Robust Iterative Value Conversion: Deep Reinforcement Learning for Neurochip-driven Edge Robots​

Yuki Kadokawakadokawa.yuki@naist.ac.jpTomohito Koderakodera.tomohito.kp9@is.naist.jpYoshihisa Tsuruminetsurumine.yoshihisa@is.naist.jpShinya Nishimuranishimura.shinya@megachips.co.jpTakamitsu Matsubaratakam-m@is.naist.jpNara Institute of Science and Technology, 630-0192, Nara, Japan MegaChips Corporation, 532-0003, Osaka, Japan

Abstract​

A neurochip is a device that reproduces the signal processing mechanisms of brain neurons and calculates Spiking Neural Networks (SNNs) with low power consumption and at high speed. Thus, neurochips are attracting attention from edge robot applications, which suffer from limited battery capacity. This paper aims to achieve deep reinforcement learning (DRL) that acquires SNN policies suitable for neurochip implementation. Since DRL requires a complex function approximation, we focus on conversion techniques from Floating Point NN (FPNN) because it is one of the most feasible SNN techniques. However, DRL requires conversions to SNNs for every policy update to collect the learning samples for a DRL-learning cycle, which updates the FPNN policy and collects the SNN policy samples. Accumulative conversion errors can significantly degrade the performance of the SNN policies. We propose Robust Iterative Value Conversion (RIVC) as a DRL that incorporates conversion error reduction and robustness to conversion errors. To reduce them, FPNN is optimized with the same number of quantization bits as an SNN. The FPNN output is not significantly changed by quantization. To robustify the conversion error, an FPNN policy that is applied with quantization is updated to increase the gap between the probability of selecting the optimal action and other actions. This step prevents unexpected replacements of the policy’s optimal actions. We verified RIVC’s effectiveness on a neurochip-driven robot. The results showed that RIVC consumed 1/15 times less power and increased the calculation speed by five times more than an edge CPU (quad-core ARM Cortex-A72). The previous framework with no countermeasures against conversion errors failed to train the policies. Videos from our experiments are available:

Excerpts:

5.1 Construction of Learning System for Experiments​

5.1.1 Entire Experiment Settings​

This section describes the construction of the proposed framework shown in Fig. 2. We utilized a desktop PC equipped with a GPU (Nvidia RTX3090) for updating the policies and an Akida Neural Processor SoC as a neurochip [9, 12]. The robot was controlled by the policies implemented in the neurochip. SNNs were implemented to the neurochip by a conversion executed by the MetaTF of Akida that converts the software [9, 12]. Samples were collected by the SNN policies in both the simulation tasks and the real-robot tasks since the target task is neurochip-driven robot control. For learning, the GPU updates the policies based on the collected samples in the real-robot environment. Concerning the SNN structure, the quantization of weights 𝑤𝑠 described in Eq. (16) and the calculation accuracy of the activation functions described in Eq. (19) are verified in a range from 2- to 8-bits; they are the implementation constraints of the neurochip [9].

Table 3: Hardware performance of policies: FPNN was evaluated by edge-CPU (Raspberry Pi 4: quad-core ARM Cortex-A72). SNN was evaluated by neurochip (Akida 1000 [9]). “Power cons” and “Calc. speed” denote power consumption and calculation speed for obtaining one action from NN policies using each piece of hardware. Power consumption was measured by voltage checker (TAP-TST8N).

NetworkFPNNSNN
HardwareEdge-CPUNeurochip
Power consumption [mW]614
Calculation speed [ms]20540

7 Conclusion​

We proposed RIVC as a novel DRL framework for training SNN policies with a neurochip in real-robot environments. RIVC offers two prominent features: 1) it trains QNN policies, which can be robust for conversion to SNN policies, and 2) it updates the values with GIO, which is robust to the optimal action replacements by conversion to SNN policies. We also implemented RIVC for object-tracking tasks with a neurochip in real-robot environments. Our experiments show that RIVC can train SNN policies by DRL in real-robot environments.

Acknowledgments​

This work was supported by the MegaChips Corporation. We thank Alonso Ramos Fernandez for his experimental assistance.

Do you think now this has been independently verified via Megachips' experiments, we could publish the performance comparisons on our website and across other media platforms?

I mean consuming 1/15 less power and increasing the compute speed by five times more than Arm Cortex- A72 is something to really toot your horn about, isn't it?

Which mobile and embedded computer OEM's and suppliers aren't going to want to swap out their the A72's with our technology if this type of performance improvement can be achieved?

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 1.03.17 pm.png

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 1.02.53 pm.png

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 15 users
You are totally ignoring the fact that I was not at all ignoring Mediterranean and Middle Eastern Cuisine… 😛
Not ignoring, but ignorant 😛

I had to Google Hummus..

I had in my mind, that it was that parsley concoction..

Never liked dips..

This Reddit quote, doesn't exactly make me want to try it either..

"It's texture is awful, and the flavour is just... garlic mush. It looks like something a cat threw up. I don't understand why it's so popular"

Top Bottom