BRN Discussion Ongoing

Frangipani

Regular
FF Posted an interesting link on the crapfest worth a read!
MegaChips still in play...

These are the parts where Akida is mentioned:

View attachment 71327

View attachment 71326

Yawn… 🥱
We’ve known about this for almost two months:

4479FB1C-034E-4870-BD8F-5BE03BFDDFBF.jpeg

Even FF himself had posted about this paper before 👇🏻 - he loves to rehash old news/academic papers/podcasts/videos and hardly ever posts anything novel these days that hasn’t already been posted here on TSE.

That’s why @Fullmoonfever recently made this comment:

8510DCC9-55C7-47BD-B2AC-3553D8D4AAAE.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

MDhere

Regular
Yawn… 🥱
We’ve known about this for almost two months:

View attachment 71335

Even FF himself had posted about this paper before 👇🏻 - he loves to rehash old news/academic papers/podcasts/videos and hardly ever posts anything novel these days that hasn’t already been posted here on TSE.

That’s why @Fullmoonfever recently made this comment:

View attachment 71336
Good posts @overpup And @CHIPS . Always good to have info even if reposted as some may have missed it. 👍

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 24 users

Baisyet

Regular
Another of our Laguna Hills engineers leaving without having another job lined up… 🤔

It should be noted that he has since been given glowing references from his former BrainChip colleagues.

Nevertheless, he seems to have been unhappy in his job for quite a while (see his 4 month old LinkedIn comment)… What is going on? 🤔

View attachment 71324

View attachment 71325

View attachment 71330
View attachment 71331
View attachment 71332

View attachment 71334
Hi @Frangipani I think it should be noted in my view as how many Employees who. has been instrumental in Brainchip's success has left within short span of time. People may say for better pay but i for one differ in this view, one need to be happy where they are working, We often say Employee dont leave the company they leave their managers right?

• Fire
Reactions: 4 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users

Draed

Regular

TSMC says 'insane' AI demand is 'real' and a boon for chip giant

TAIPEI -- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. on Thursday said "extremely robust" AI demand is set to continue for years and deliver another record-breaking quarter for the world's largest contract chipmaker.

TSMC said net profit in the July-September quarter surged 54.2% on the year to 325.26 billion New Taiwan dollars ($10 billion). Revenue, meanwhile, reached a record NT$759.69 billion, up 39%.

Hi Draed,

ChatGPT is not the Be-all-and-end-all. There are many other applications for AI models which do not need the omniscient entity in the cloud. Of course, Akida could reduce the power consumption and latency, but ... one step at a time .. We are hardly in a position to take on Nvidia head on just yet.

ADAS does not require such a massive universal knowledge base. Its image model is built on collections of vehicle mounted videos. I imagine there will be different models for left hand drive and right hand drive which can be downloaded using RAG* (Retrieval-Augmented Generation) as required.

Our association with Edge Impulse is aimed at automating the labelling of such data for the models, leveraging off pre-existing labelled models.

As for "Hey Mercedes", certainly PICO can be used for key word spotting to wake a larger processor, which could be a full strength Akida 2 with TENNS for natural language processing, Akida 2 being the preeminent NN processor. Akida 1 relieved the von Neumann CNN processor from the heavy lifting of inference/classification. TENNS now alleviates the task of temporal analysis of the classified input signals, leaving von Neumann to get on with whatever it does best (whatever that is).

* AI RAG - Where's Scott Joplin when you need him?

https://au.video.search.yahoo.com/s...326b7fc181a9cf1563532754ec1c904e&action=click
Thanks for your response. It just had me thinking all day. But I appreciate your response. Cheers

Reactions: 3 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
  • Fire
  • Wow
Reactions: 29 users

IloveLamp

Top 20

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 14 users

BrainShit

Regular
Y
I was reading an article about one of the problems AI is facing (sorry, I dont have the link). It was about how most of the data available on the internet has been reviewed and classified and incorporated into models already. The challenge moving forward is generating and capturing new data to continuously improve these models.

My question to the group is. Could we foresee our akida products being used in combination with other more sophisitcated but power hungry chips or software.

For example with mercades. Our chip or software at the edge and at the sensor. Quick, and power efficient inference done in realtime on input like voice activation, learning someones accent, vocal manerisms etc. But then that more refined data is processed in larger and more power hungry systems in the car or cloud for model improvements.

I see pico being such a device. Not intended to run independently. But more of a extreme edge device at the sensor, that just does data collection and refinement, but doesn't make any decisions on anything...

I might be way off. But that's my impression.

Cheers

Draed

Yes, this is possible. See images below...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240214_181640_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240214_181640_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20240610_185008_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240610_185008_YouTube.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20240118_181218_Office Documents Viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20240118_181218_Office Documents Viewer.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20240607_001252_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240607_001252_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 7 users

Draed

Regular
Y

Yes, this is possible. See images below...
Hi Bs. Thank you.... that's what I was imagining in my head. And that's what I see picos role in all this. Just straight up at the edge classification, low watt power.

For ongoing classification in vehicles it would be ideal to have an akida at the sensor, just sending pertinent information up the chain. I think pico is a direct response of demand from our clients.

Cheers

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

Frangipani

Regular
Maybe, just maybe, we’ll find out a teeny-weeny bit more about the current status of MB’s neuromorphic research later this week:

I checked out the website of Hochschule Karlsruhe (Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences aka HKA) - since Markus Schäfer mentioned in his post they were collaborating with them on event-based cameras - and discovered an intriguing hybrid presentation by Dominik Blum, one of MB’s neuromorphic researchers, titled “Intelligente Fahrassistenzsysteme der Zukunft: KI, Sensorik und Neuromorphes Computing” (“Future Intelligent ADAS: AI, Sensor Technology and Neuromorphic Computing”).

The upcoming presentation is part of this week’s Themenwoche Künstliche Intelligenz, a week (Mon-Thu to be precise) devoted to AI, with numerous, mostly hybrid presentations from various HKA research areas (both faculty and external speakers will present), held daily between 5.15 pm and 8.30 pm.

Oct 17 is devoted to the topic of AI & Traffic:

View attachment 71031

View attachment 71032

If you speak German (or even if you don’t, but are nevertheless interested in the presentation slides) and live in a compatible time zone, you may want to join the following livestream on Oct 17, at 5.15 pm (CEST):

(Since similar June AI Day presentations were recorded and uploaded to the HKA website, I assume this will also apply to the AI Week presentations.)

View attachment 71025
View attachment 71026

The reference to NMC (neuromorphic computing) being considered a “möglicher Lösungsweg” (possible/potential solution) suggests to me - once again - that Mercedes-Benz is nowhere near to implementing neuromorphic technology at scale into serial cars.

View attachment 71027

View attachment 71028

Here’s the link to the livestream’s recording (in German):

The presentation by Dominik Blum (Mercedes-Benz) starts at 3:48 min.

There was one slide that showed - amongst other things - various brands of neuromorphic hardware (ABR, BrainChip, Innatera, Intel, SynSense), including Akida 1.0 and 2.0, but none was mentioned by name. Same with the slide showing the EQXX: there was merely mention of the voice assistant’s keyword spotting having been realised on “a neuromorphic chip”, which was said to have considerably improved this function’s energy efficiency.

Please note that the slide showing neuromorphic hardware also lists the ABR Time Series Processor (TSP1), developed by Applied Brain Research, the Canadian company Chris Eliasmith co-founded and is CTO of (see the link to my previous post below).
I reckon TSP1 is what MB are going to base their future research on regarding their recently announced collaboration with the University of Waterloo.
So just as I said the other day, that announcement is highly likely no reason to celebrate for BRN shareholders:

https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/brn-discussion-ongoing.1/post-438892

In the Q&A session afterwards, Dominik Blum was asked whether the architecture of neuromorphic chips resembled that of GPUs or whether it was a completely different design. His answer was: “Da wir uns mehr auf die softwareseitige Entwicklung von “neuromorphic” fokussieren, kann ich da keine gute Antwort geben.” (“Since we are focussing more on the software side development of neuromorphic, I can’t give you a good answer to that question.”)

He was also asked whether he could quantify the potential energy savings of neuromorphic computing and said that there were vague estimations of up to 90%, however, he’d be careful with any concrete numbers (suggesting 90% might actually be too high) and stressed that they are still at a very early stage of research and that further studies were required.

When asked how long it would take for fully autonomous cars to become reality, he replied he would prefer to answer as “a private person” (= not as an MB employee) and then said he believed it would be within the next 15 years, but there were various uncertainties to factor in. He wriggled for an answer when asked whether any legal framework could pose a problem regarding that time frame.

To me the gist was that while MB considers neuromorphic computing a very promising technology regarding gains in energy efficiency (which will become more and more important on the path towards cars becoming fully autonomous), they are still at a very early stage of research - Dominik Blum literally said so. There you go, you heard it from the horse’s mouth. So don’t expect neuromorphic technology in any MB serial production cars in the near future. At least that’s what I took away from that presentation.

Anything major I missed?

Here are some of the presentation slides:

25F22236-77C8-41ED-9E75-27AE1FCE24AD.jpeg

E7780C64-E399-4C54-BCB9-FCB7B593C85E.jpeg

Energy consumption increases with the vehicle’s number of AI-based systems:

CCE485B7-B440-43BE-ACF3-66FB10437F56.jpeg

The higher the SAE-Level, the higher the energy consumption:

DAA14492-6EAE-4242-94FF-AAF48E72FDBF.jpeg

Neuromorphic computing is a young field of research … with a lot of open questions, e.g.:

D85C9251-A0DD-4EAF-99DF-620787288F3A.jpeg

SNNs in the event chain of autonomous driving:

84930060-DFB2-4CC2-B9F0-C334BE87A47A.jpeg

This slide kind of looked familiar… 😉

C21323AB-8704-4204-BF5D-57C1C489E7B1.jpeg

Dominik Blum said that they are still in the research phase as to event-based cameras that will one day complement regular cameras, radar and LiDAR…

EB8F7408-1A07-47A2-915F-FECB520F6F68.jpeg

A6F5C3A0-94F8-40CA-AD75-19953266C52A.jpeg

BAD92B03-9E8F-4B57-ABD3-EAF572664E53.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users

Frangipani

Regular
Hi @Frangipani I think it should be noted in my view as how many Employees who. has been instrumental in Brainchip's success has left within short span of time. People may say for better pay but i for one differ in this view, one need to be happy where they are working, We often say Employee dont leave the company they leave their managers right?

My thoughts exactly…

Reactions: 2 users

Frangipani

Regular
Good posts @overpup And @CHIPS . Always good to have info even if reposted as some may have missed it. 👍

The reposting as such is not the issue, and you know that very well.
The issue is that something is being presented as novel, when it is not.

• Thinking
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Frangipani

Regular
😳 You underlined "Indian cuisine" that it's only an "important part" of totally ignoring the fact, that it's a "key ingredient" of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine! (and being mentioned first as such, seems to indicate its use is more prevalent).

You Cherry Picker 😛

The fact that 75% is produced in India, might have something to do with the fact that it constitutes almost 18% of the World population.

You are totally ignoring the fact that I was not at all ignoring Mediterranean and Middle Eastern Cuisine… 😛
Personally, I associate chickpeas with both hummus and chana masala.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Guess it don’t matter what you pay when your holding long term

IMG_1234.png

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 14 users

Xray1

Regular
For the tech minded amongst us:
Is Akida Pico essentially a somewhat reincarnation of Akida 1500 ????

7für7

Top 20
For the tech minded amongst us:
Is Akida Pico essentially a somewhat reincarnation of Akida 1500 ????
No, it’s more of a modified clone, it’s not like the other developments have ‘died’… besides, we don’t want to make a religion out of it! It’s still a man-made technology.

7für7

Top 20
I think many don’t recognize the potential of our technology. This is the beginning of a new era in human history. With mature technology, space travel will be within reach because there will be no need for contact with Earth to control complex systems… Navigation in space will be calculated directly within the ship or glider… Longer distances can be covered as power consumption is minimised…all the devices will operate autonomously….Who knows, maybe even higher speeds can be achieved, since energy consumption always plays a role in reaching higher speeds. Everything depends on this technology. Our lives will not only change on Earth. It’s unstoppable now. Think long-term and beyond the horizon ‘Mercedes’! We may be small, but once potential customers overcome their hesitation and free themselves from their ‘Intel…NVIDIA…IBM’ blinders, we’ll be playing at the top… (we already are, but I also mean in terms of revenue).

Edit: And we don’t need to send even humans for dangerous missions because the robots will be able to Akt autonomous and make decisions based on the given circumstances

• Fire
Reactions: 8 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
Here’s the link to the livestream’s recording (in German):

The presentation by Dominik Blum (Mercedes-Benz) starts at 3:48 min.

There was one slide that showed - amongst other things - various brands of neuromorphic hardware (ABR, BrainChip, Innatera, Intel, SynSense), including Akida 1.0 and 2.0, but none was mentioned by name. Same with the slide showing the EQXX: there was merely mention of the voice assistant’s keyword spotting having been realised on “a neuromorphic chip”, which was said to have considerably improved this function’s energy efficiency.

Please note that the slide showing neuromorphic hardware also lists the ABR Time Series Processor (TSP1), developed by Applied Brain Research, the Canadian company Chris Eliasmith co-founded and is CTO of (see the link to my previous post below).
I reckon TSP1 is what MB are going to base their future research on regarding their recently announced collaboration with the University of Waterloo.
So just as I said the other day, that announcement is highly likely no reason to celebrate for BRN shareholders:

https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/brn-discussion-ongoing.1/post-438892

In the Q&A session afterwards, Dominik Blum was asked whether the architecture of neuromorphic chips resembled that of GPUs or whether it was a completely different design. His answer was: “Da wir uns mehr auf die softwareseitige Entwicklung von “neuromorphic” fokussieren, kann ich da keine gute Antwort geben.” (“Since we are focussing more on the software side development of neuromorphic, I can’t give you a good answer to that question.”)

He was also asked whether he could quantify the potential energy savings of neuromorphic computing and said that there were vague estimations of up to 90%, however, he’d be careful with any concrete numbers (suggesting 90% might actually be too high) and stressed that they are still at a very early stage of research and that further studies were required.

When asked how long it would take for fully autonomous cars to become reality, he replied he would prefer to answer as “a private person” (= not as an MB employee) and then said he believed it would be within the next 15 years, but there were various uncertainties to factor in. He wriggled for an answer when asked whether any legal framework could pose a problem regarding that time frame.

To me the gist was that while MB considers neuromorphic computing a very promising technology regarding gains in energy efficiency (which will become more and more important on the path towards cars becoming fully autonomous), they are still at a very early stage of research - Dominik Blum literally said so. There you go, you heard it from the horse’s mouth. So don’t expect neuromorphic technology in any MB serial production cars in the near future. At least that’s what I took away from that presentation.

Anything major I missed?

Here are some of the presentation slides:

View attachment 71337

View attachment 71338

Energy consumption increases with the vehicle’s number of AI-based systems:

View attachment 71339

The higher the SAE-Level, the higher the energy consumption:

View attachment 71340

Neuromorphic computing is a young field of research … with a lot of open questions, e.g.:

View attachment 71341

SNNs in the event chain of autonomous driving:

View attachment 71342

This slide kind of looked familiar… 😉

View attachment 71343

Dominik Blum said that they are still in the research phase as to event-based cameras that will one day complement regular cameras, radar and LiDAR…

View attachment 71346

View attachment 71344

View attachment 71345

Hi @Frangipani,

You mention you don’t expect neuromorphic technology in any MB serial production cars in the near future.

If that's the case, I'm just curious as to what you make of Mercedes' statement as quoted within Sally Ward-Foxton's article "Cars That Think Like You"? thought the quote indicated it would not be all that far off into the future, hence the use of the word "just" in the expression "just a few years".

I'd have thought that given the article was published on 22 September 2022, we are now getting closer to the point where "just a few years' will have expired and in addition to this, it doesn't seem all that inconceivable, at least in my opinion, for MB to utilise BrainChip's technology in the nearer-term, particularly given TENN's and the recent launch of Pico.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 11.00.57 am.png

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

7für7

Top 20
Nice Updates (Optimus) 🤓

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 4 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
Meet Rocky, Ericsson's robotic DOG!

5G robotics enables it to transmit data in real-time with very high speeds, used for fire detection, gas leak detection, etc. It is currently at the development stage.

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 11.58.41 am.png

But wait there's more... this article refers to the demo being "brain-inspired"...Actually I might be misreading that, it looks like they had two demo's one of them an AI demo and the other the dog demo, and it may be the AI demo that is being described as "brain inspired"??..

EXTRACT
Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 12.02.54 pm.png

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Top Bottom