BRN Discussion Ongoing

mrgds

Regular
Welcome to Seoul Sean....great that you travelled to meet with us in person, our Board prefers to do business face-face...now lets sit down and
discuss the future direction we "could" pursue together, I see that you have brought AKD 2.0 with you, fantastic Sean, the floor is all yours. ;)

Tech thinking positive as always...:geek:
@TECH ...........Sorry if ive missed this, but, is Sean definately travelling to Seoul? Or was that tongue in cheek?
And if so when?
Cheers

• Thinking
Reactions: 3 users

Tothemoon24

Top 20

Apparently Starkey is the Mercedes of the hearing aid world .

Recently winning awards & announcing new products coming to market .

Interesting quote below about enhancements to the DNN

Starkey Unveils Enhancements to Genesis AI Hearing Aids​

Sep 1, 2023 | Hearing Aids | 0 |
Starkey Unveils Enhancements to Genesis AI Hearing Aids

Starkey announced the addition of new products to its Genesis AI hearing aids, along with new enhancements designed to offer improved benefits to patients and hearing healthcare professionals.
The Genesi AI—which includes a suite of enhanced technological capabilities—features enhanced processor technology, a long-lasting rechargeable battery in a RIC (51 hours from a single charge), a small rechargeable RIC with sensor, improved dynamic range, and more.

New Products Unveiled​

Starkey is introducing a new, small 2.4 GHz CIC, now powered by the Starkey Neuro Processor and loaded with the company’s Neuro Sound Technology. Plus, Genesis AI’s all-new ergonomically designed standard case meets the battery flexibility providers and patients desire with the introduction of the Genesis AI RIC 312, according to the company. Both the wireless CIC and the RIC 312 boast 25% more battery life than previous technology.
“At Starkey, we are continuing to push the edge of what is possible,” says Brandon Sawalich, president and CEO of Starkey. “Thanks to unprecedented sound quality in noise and in quiet, more first-fit success and satisfaction, and a patient experience that goes far beyond better hearing, Genesis AI is the hearing technology the industry and its patients deserve.”
Further reading: Starkey Executive Recognized by Women in STEM Honor
With the launch of Genesis AI, Starkey revealed the all-new Neuro Processor. Packed with six times the transistors and four times the speed, it was created to mimic the function of the central auditory system through an all-new compression system and an on-chip Deep Neural Network (DNN) accelerator. Edge Mode+, Starkey’s second generation intelligent, on-demand feature just got even better with enhancements to the DNN algorithm. It is now trained on a more diverse database of sounds to ensure patients can hear better anywhere they go, the company says.
Additional enhancements to Genesis AI include both professional and patient updates including Offline Mode, improved 2-Way Audio, Feedback Canceller updates, and firmware update notifications through the My Starkey app.

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 16 users

SERA2g

Founding Member

Apparently Starkey is the Mercedes of the hearing aid world .

Recently winning awards & announcing new products coming to market .

Interesting quote below about enhancements to the DNN

Starkey Unveils Enhancements to Genesis AI Hearing Aids​

Sep 1, 2023 | Hearing Aids | 0 |
Starkey Unveils Enhancements to Genesis AI Hearing Aids

Starkey announced the addition of new products to its Genesis AI hearing aids, along with new enhancements designed to offer improved benefits to patients and hearing healthcare professionals.
The Genesi AI—which includes a suite of enhanced technological capabilities—features enhanced processor technology, a long-lasting rechargeable battery in a RIC (51 hours from a single charge), a small rechargeable RIC with sensor, improved dynamic range, and more.

New Products Unveiled​

Starkey is introducing a new, small 2.4 GHz CIC, now powered by the Starkey Neuro Processor and loaded with the company’s Neuro Sound Technology. Plus, Genesis AI’s all-new ergonomically designed standard case meets the battery flexibility providers and patients desire with the introduction of the Genesis AI RIC 312, according to the company. Both the wireless CIC and the RIC 312 boast 25% more battery life than previous technology.
“At Starkey, we are continuing to push the edge of what is possible,” says Brandon Sawalich, president and CEO of Starkey. “Thanks to unprecedented sound quality in noise and in quiet, more first-fit success and satisfaction, and a patient experience that goes far beyond better hearing, Genesis AI is the hearing technology the industry and its patients deserve.”
Further reading: Starkey Executive Recognized by Women in STEM Honor
With the launch of Genesis AI, Starkey revealed the all-new Neuro Processor. Packed with six times the transistors and four times the speed, it was created to mimic the function of the central auditory system through an all-new compression system and an on-chip Deep Neural Network (DNN) accelerator. Edge Mode+, Starkey’s second generation intelligent, on-demand feature just got even better with enhancements to the DNN algorithm. It is now trained on a more diverse database of sounds to ensure patients can hear better anywhere they go, the company says.
Additional enhancements to Genesis AI include both professional and patient updates including Offline Mode, improved 2-Way Audio, Feedback Canceller updates, and firmware update notifications through the My Starkey app.
I've been following Starkey for a good year. They could definitely benefit from some akida magic, but nothing so far to indicate they are using akida. I've previously messaged one or two of their tech guys on LinkedIn and did not receive a response haha.

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 11 users

miaeffect

Oat latte lover
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 35 users

mrgds

Regular
Reactions: 3 users

jtardif999

Regular
Right, Valeo does a lot of work with neuromorphic technology and they don't make a secret out of it.
Valeo was a prominent part of the Tempo project (2018-January 2023). Base of the project was SynSense technology. Out of this project a consortium derived, where Valeo and Philips take the part of working on applications. In the meantime also GrAIMatterLabs joined the consortium. This all shows Brainchip isn't in any way an exclusive partner of Valeo, other activities seem to be much more prominent.

My conclusion is, maybe we will see neuromorphic technology in Scala 4, but there is no guarantee it will be Brainchip.
Don't get me wrong, I really hope any mass product with Akida IP will enter the market soon. but as this is my biggest investment, I need to take a full realistic view, dot joining and hope aren't the right instruments for myself.
In the meantime after a couple of complicated years with delays in the chip industry and general problems of industries I see a real market entrance of Brainchip in 2025/26.
I'm happy when I'm wrong but that's my view of today.

View attachment 49340
Pardon me but you seem to be ignoring the following facts:
1) BrainChip signed a joint development agreement with Valeo in 2020.
2) Valeo are the world leader in LiDAR technology.
3) BrainChip have stated previously to shareholders that Akida is in a sweet spot for being utilised in LiDAR.
4) Since signing the JDV agreement BrainChip have never changed their stance on Valeo being a valued partner, always displaying Valeo’s logo on their partners page.
5) BrainChips SNN technology is world leading and has formidable patent protection.
6) As stated previously by @chapman89 a former Valeo LiDAR employee has admitted that SNNs are a big part of Scala3.

I’m a little bemused as to why you would think that BRN would not be involved here?
It’s a no brainer to me and I think news will become official in this regard next year. AIMO.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 49 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
3) BrainChip have stated previously to shareholders that Akida is in a sweet spot for being utilised in LiDAR.
4) Since signing the JDV agreement BrainChip have never changed their stance on Valeo being a valued partner, always displaying Valeo’s logo on their partners page.
5) BrainChips SNN technology is world leading and has formidable patent protection.
6) As stated previously by @chapman89 a former Valeo LiDAR employee has admitted that SNNs are a big part of Scala3.

I’m a little bemused as to why you would think that BRN would not be involved here?
It’s a no brainer to me and I think news will become official in this regard next year. AIMO.

I don't like the odds of you receiving a response from Perhaps that addresses the very sensible points you have made @jtardif999 but that's OK because Perhaps said he's happy when he's wrong. I gather he is frequently wrong. Why else would one keep doing something that makes one unhappy, because that would be really weird and very bad for one's mental health! 🍄

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 19 users

wilzy123

Founding Member
Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 31 users

TECH

Regular
@TECH ...........Sorry if ive missed this, but, is Sean definately travelling to Seoul? Or was that tongue in cheek?
And if so when?
Cheers
Yes Sean is presenting the AKD 2 .0 platform. Nandan was going to represent the company at the TinyML forum but Sean our CEO suddenly got the gig..visiting Australia on the way was a smart move in my opinion..but we do have known links with South Korea so something or nothing may be cooking.:unsure:

• Fire
Reactions: 23 users

Galaxycar

Regular
Told you’s Sean was only here to hand out the fat Christmas bonus’s did’nt announce sweet F ALL. Had to come now before they all knock off for their well earned Christmas break,to only return next year and do the same again,rinse and repeat. KPI achieved
1: screw over shareholders of any personal savings they might have invested in brainchip until shareprice is that low they can achieve a reverse takeover by director, just in time to avoid the next AGM avoiding them loosing there jobs.
2. Paint a picture that the market is so grim out their that no one will sign an IP License , but just after reverse takeover release 15 IP agreements and release all companies behind the NDA’S to the market saying the shareprice will do what the shareprice will do!.
Sums up management fairly well me thinks

Perhaps

Regular

So we have different views and different arguments. Shouldn't be a problem, that's what a forum is made for.
Time will tell who's on the right train.

• Fire
Reactions: 15 users

Frangipani

Regular
While we may have every reason to believe that Akida is the superior technology, we should not resort to making factually incorrect statements about Brainchip’s competitors:

Exactly!
They’re starting now to “explore” which as we know from experience that automotive takes a long time, years!
So Synsense and BMW can “explore” the benefits whilst TATA Valeo and others drive and implement akida IP into products!

True, automotive takes a long time, but no, they are not starting to explore only now - they announced their partnership in mid-April 2022, so that was more than 1.5 years ago.

Also, the announcement about the SynSense-BMW partnership was primarily about smart cockpits and not about LiDAR only. That’s why I compared it to MB (‘Hey, Mercedes!’) and not to Valeo.

While the article I quoted (which I had picked as one of the most recent ones I could find about SynSense + BMW) does indeed literally say “to explore the integration of their brain-like chips into smart cockpits”, I have since double-checked the news around the original press release (which strangely I cannot find anywhere) that consistently quote the partnership announcement being about advancing the integration of neuromorphic chips into smart cockpits and exploring related fields with BMW. (See for example Sally Ward-Foxton referring to the partnership in her “Cars That Think Like You” EETimes article)

That’s also the wording I recall. So it sounds as if they had in fact already collaborated quite a bit regarding smart cockpits before announcing their partnership, similar to Valeo and Brainchip having been involved months before announcing their partnership.

Brainchip has been involved with Valeo since late 2019 and also SynSense don’t do IP, whereas Brainchip does!
Brainchip and Valeo have also worked on proof of concepts with Valeo!

Also not true.
“SynSense focuses on the commercialization of neuromorphic intelligence, based on 20+ years of world-leading experience of University of Zürich and ETH Zürich. Centering on edge computing applications, SynSense provides ultra-low power consumption, ultra-low latency inference ASICs and IP blocks, as well as full-stack application development services, and is globally the only neuromorphic technology company that involves both sensing and computing.”

AKIDA is much betterer.:giggle:

View attachment 49358

Again, factually incorrect: You are comparing apples and oranges. Your juxtaposition probably refers to some other SynSense chip, but definitely not to the DYNAP-CNN (which is the one involved in the partnership with Prophesee), which according to their website has up to 1 million neurons. No mention of synapses, I am afraid. But up to 1000 x more neurons than you claimed!

“DYNAP™-CNN, a fully scalable, event-driven neuromorphic processor, redefines sensory processing. With up to 1M configurable spiking neurons and a direct interface with external DVS, this technology is ideal for ultra-low power, ultra-low latency event-driven applications.”

It is not my intention to spruik a competitor’s product here, but when making statements about competitors or their products, we - me included, of course - should stick to the facts and possibly fact-check before posting.
And also accept the reality that Brainchip will never have 100 % of the market share.

On a more positive note: BMW having partnered with SynSense in 2022 does not automatically exclude BMW also exploring things with Brainchip, if you ask me. Right now (behind an NDA) or in the future.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 26 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
While we may have every reason to believe that Akida is the superior technology, we should not resort to making factually incorrect statements about Brainchip’s competitors:

True, automotive takes a long time, but no, they are not starting to explore only now - they announced their partnership in mid-April 2022, so that was more than 1.5 years ago.

Also, the announcement about the SynSense-BMW partnership was primarily about smart cockpits and not about LiDAR only. That’s why I compared it to MB (‘Hey, Mercedes!’) and not to Valeo.

While the article I quoted (which I had picked as one of the most recent ones I could find about SynSense + BMW) does indeed literally say “to explore the integration of their brain-like chips into smart cockpits”, I have since double-checked the news around the original press release (which strangely I cannot find anywhere) that consistently quote the partnership announcement being about advancing the integration of neuromorphic chips into smart cockpits and exploring related fields with BMW. (See for example Sally Ward-Foxton referring to the partnership in her “Cars That Think Like You” EETimes article)

That’s also the wording I recall. So it sounds as if they had in fact already collaborated quite a bit regarding smart cockpits before announcing their partnership, similar to Valeo and Brainchip having been involved months before announcing their partnership.

Also not true.
“SynSense focuses on the commercialization of neuromorphic intelligence, based on 20+ years of world-leading experience of University of Zürich and ETH Zürich. Centering on edge computing applications, SynSense provides ultra-low power consumption, ultra-low latency inference ASICs and IP blocks, as well as full-stack application development services, and is globally the only neuromorphic technology company that involves both sensing and computing.”

Again, factually incorrect: You are comparing apples and oranges. Your juxtaposition probably refers to some other SynSense chip, but definitely not to the DYNAP-CNN (which is the one involved in the partnership with Prophesee), which according to their website has up to 1 million neurons. No mention of synapses, I am afraid. But up to 1000 x more neurons than you claimed!

“DYNAP™-CNN, a fully scalable, event-driven neuromorphic processor, redefines sensory processing. With up to 1M configurable spiking neurons and a direct interface with external DVS, this technology is ideal for ultra-low power, ultra-low latency event-driven applications.”

It is not my intention to spruik a competitor’s product here, but when making statements about competitors or their products, we - me included, of course - should stick to the facts and possibly fact-check before posting.
And also accept the reality that Brainchip will never have 100 % of the market share.

On a more positive note: BMW having partnered with SynSense in 2022 does not automatically exclude BMW also exploring things with Brainchip, if you ask me. Right now (behind an NDA) or in the future.
We do agree on one point and that is that there is nothing factually incorrect about your last sentence.

"BMW having partnered with SynSense in 2022 does not automatically exclude BMW also exploring things with Brainchip, if you ask me."

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 15 users
Why do we keep talking about this?
We know due to our financials that we're not involved in the >€1 billion orders for the Scala 3 that Valeo mentions on their website.
If they are talking about using a neural network, it's not us. At least we would have seen some preliminary payments.

Management saying that Lidar is a sweet spot for us sounds all good and well, but so do the explosion of sales, revenue outgrowing expenses in 2023 and so on and so forth. It's my biggest investment and I want it to succeed. But constantly ignoring reality and creating false expectations will lead to nothing but disappointment, which is clearly visible for a year or so already in every BRN forum.

• Fire
Reactions: 14 users
This one is worth a look since the last energy-efficient solution used to consume much more power than the 2024 roadmap products from Samsung. Nevertheless, it's nothing else than speculation even if the article practically explains akida, its use cases and strengths.

• Fire
Reactions: 10 users

Frangipani

Regular
We do agree on one point and that is that there is nothing factually incorrect about your last sentence.

"BMW having partnered with SynSense in 2022 does not automatically exclude BMW also exploring things with Brainchip, if you ask me."
If this is really all you can agree on (oh, and splitting hairs, it was technically not my last, but my penultimate sentence 😉), I’d recommend you get yourself a new pair of reading glasses… 🤣🤣🤣

5CE2537D-43E3-4DED-98D5-8B40AF0C0421.jpeg

So you still insist your comparison was fair? 🤔

Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀

Frank Weber calls for a longer perspective for combustion engines

The press is full of their moaning. No wonder with this offensive and flagship model how BMW wants to face the challenges at some point 😅
1699871226334.jpeg

You should take a look at how Blackberry is progressing with the assistance systems compared to its competitors.

BMW cooperates with Blackberry

In the future, the former mobile phone manufacturer Blackberry will help BMW to develop new driver assistance systems at Level 2 and Level 2+. The Canadian company and the automaker announced a multi-year partnership.
Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Ten years ago I would never have taken such a clear position in favour of MB over BMW. I find it all rather sad. If you want to follow how the last drivers in the field master the challenges of the race, this is the place to be. IMHOHO

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 4 users

Perhaps

Regular

Also not true.

An addition:
It's a very simplified olympic idea to think the more neurons the better. Depending on the application there's always an right amount of neurons, overpowering leads to overly complex training algorithms needed and can have a negative effect on accuracy and latency.
So a scalable amount of neurons might be the way to go:

1699872150797.png

1699872354386.png

1699873426558.png

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 7 users

Sam

Nothing changes if nothing changes
Yes Sean is presenting the AKD 2 .0 platform. Nandan was going to represent the company at the TinyML forum but Sean our CEO suddenly got the gig..visiting Australia on the way was a smart move in my opinion..but we do have known links with South Korea so something or nothing may be cooking.:unsure:
SAMSUNG!!!!👏👏👏🚀🚀🚀

• Haha
  • Thinking
Reactions: 12 users

RobjHunt

Regular
Thanks cosors,

Akida uses stock-standard CMOS manufacturing so there's no real issues with the hardware side.

Also, Akida 1 does not use any processor based software while performing classification/inference, so again, no issue with ISO certification on this point.

One area which would need to be examined for ISO certification is the accuracy of the results of the hardware working with the image model, and related to this is the use of a processor to load the model and weights and configure the NN layers.

Akida 2 does make some use of the processor for its more advanced functionality, so again some additional scrutiny would be required for ISO.
Doigeeknees Sitter I for one appreciate your, at times, layman posts.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Top Bottom