BRN Discussion Ongoing

Tothemoon24

Top 20

Nice assessment ;​

Arm is expected to make large gains .

Brainchip/ Arm = Armed & Dangerous

AMD expected to occupy over 20% of server CPU market and Arm 8% in 2023, according to DIGITIMES Research​

Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES Asia, TaipeiWednesday 22 February 20230

5_b.jpg

Credit: DIGITIMES
AMD and Arm have been gaining up on Intel in the server CPU market in the past few years, and the margins of the share that AMD had won over were especially large in 2022 as datacenter operators and server brands began finding that solutions from the number-2 maker growing superior to those of the long-time leader, according to Frank Kung, DIGITIMES Research analyst focusing primarily on the server industry, who anticipates that AMD's share will well stand above 20% in 2023, while Arm will get 8%.
Prices are one of the three major drivers that resulted in datacenter operators and server brands switching to AMD. Comparing server CPUs from AMD and Intel with similar numbers of cores, clockspeed, and hardware specifications, the price tags of most of the former's products are at least 30% cheaper than the latter's, and the differences could go as high as over 40%, Kung said.
Such a gap makes a key difference to server companies as they usually procure their CPUs in large volumes and picking AMD's solutions would make a major reduction in their costs. Since Intel's and AMD's processors are both based on the x86 architecture, compatibility is not an issue that server companies need to worry about, Kung noted.
AMD CPUs' high number of cores also makes them perfect for the server environment as the higher the number of cores a CPU has, the more servicing capability it can offer. AMD's 96-core Genoa-architected EPYC processor was launched in the fourth quarter of 2022 with a 128-core CPU set to debut in the first half of 2023, while Intel's best offering in terms of the core number still stays at 60 at the moment.
Support from TSMC is the second driver. AMD's server CPUs are all made via TSMC's latest manufacturing process, allowing them to feature top-notch performances, noted Kung, adding that thanks to TSMC's advanced technologies and high yield rate, AMD has not had a problem with missing its product launch schedule. However, such is not the case with Intel.
The third driver is the fact that Intel is manufacturing all its top-tier CPUs in house. Information from Intel's upstream suppliers shows that Intel's in-house manufacturing technologies have been rather unstable during the past several years, while server brands and datacenter operators have often seen Intel delaying the volume production schedule of its new server platform.
Read more: Meet the Analysts articles
Among datacenter operators, Microsoft and Google are the keenest in procuring servers powered by AMD's solutions. Currently, over 30% of server orders placed by the two cloud service providers are AMD-based models, while within server brands, HP Enterprise (HPE) is keener on AMD-powered servers.
Arm-based processors' penetration in the server market was a bit slower compared to AMD-based ones in 2022 in terms of market share increase, and the growth will decelerate even more in 2023, said Kung. However, in the long term, Arm-based processors will still have the potential for major growth.
Although Arm-based CPUs can achieve a neck-to-neck computing performance compared to x86-based ones from AMD and Intel while consuming much less power, compatibility is currently their biggest weakness.
Since most server programs are designed based on the x86 architecture, the problem is unlikely to fix until more Arm-based servers start to show up, attracting more middleware developers to join the market and write solutions to translate x86 codes for Arm systems.
However, datacenter operators and server brands are still aggressive about Arm processors' development in the server market. Amazon and Alibaba have already started working on Arm-based products before 2022, Microsoft and Google also began projects with Arm products in 2022, and HPE is expanding its adoption of Arm-based servers. Nvidia is now pushing its GPUs to support Arm architecture and Ampere is developing Arm-based chips. In the upcoming years, the opportunity from ESG is expected to take off for Arm CPUs as demand from large-scale datacenter and edge computing servers will surge, Kung added.
Chart 1: Server shipment share by CPU, 2020-2023

Source: DIGITIMES Research, February 2023
Table 1: Server CPU roadmaps by supplier, 2021-2024
Supplier20212022(f)2023(f)2024(f)
IntelWhitley: supports PCIe 4.0; 10+nm nodeSapphire Rapids: supports PCIe 5.0; Intel 7 nodeEmerald Rapids: Intel 7 nodeGranite Rapids: Intel 3 node
AMDMilan: supports PCIe 4.0; 7nm node
Milan-X
Genoa: supports PCIe 5.0, 5nm node
Bergamo, Genoa-X and Siena: 5nm nodeTurin: 3nm node
ArmNeoverse N1V2New N series
AmpereAltra Max: 7nm nodeAmpereOne-1: supports PCIe 5.0; 5nm nodeAmpereOne-2AmpereOne-3: 3nm node
NvidiaGrace: 5nm node

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

VictorG

MB are top of the class and the delivery of this presentation is testamant to that
MB OS presentation 23/Feb/2023

Just a thought about something I pulled from the presentation

@ 6:45 When talking about the MB Security profile of a customer states that the 'My profile' is being stored into the cloud, so when I step into my car it recognizes me…..……

As FF poor logic proposed, AKIDA would be presumed not to be fully implemented in this functionality for MB at this stage.

But at 13:35

MB will be offering a sneak preview of All new E Class which is a precursor of the MB.OS in the infotainment domain

'This is the first time in history MB has programed the complete software for the MB OS'

It will be launched later this year and 'Markus will be offering insight into what we will actually offer in the near future'.

'Super computer technology will be offered in every single Mercedes going forward. MB.OS 1.0 onward'

'The eyes and ears/ sensors of the car, the 'base sensor set' even in the entry vehicle, will be significantly more comprehensive than what you can buy in the S class today'. (
clip showing the E Class is shown at 1:16:50)

The MB.OS 1.0 onward, IMO, is when the neuromorphic component will be fully implemented.
AKIDA will then allow the MB Security profile mentioned ealier above to be cloud free.

Security and safety is one of the most important factors underpinning all this functionality.
If not MB would follow the bad example Tesla has offered the world - its automated driving capabilites are not safe, cant be trusted and can kill.

MB are progressively implementing aspects of the Neuromorphic capability as the safety net expands following testing.
They can’t turn it all on at once as it is all so new.

In order for the systems and partnerships they have developed with other companies to work in unison, the tech they have chosen needs to be Ubiquitous. Therefore only when all the companies align with this new paradigm of computing can everything work securely and safely.
NVIDIA, GOOGLE, ZYNC are all invited to work with MB to create the infrastructure to make this all happen. They all have to be in the same neuromorphic space to build the end result. Power efficenceis will not be implemented in one system and ignored in the other as an example.

The neuromorphic aspect is not ready, or its not fully tested at this stage but connections are starting to fall into place, the infotainment ‘Hey Mercedes’ or ‘Just talk’ system is an example of progressive implementation. This is part of MB's end result that MB are happy to release and talk freely about bc it has already proven to be safe and secure.
Lower speed autonomous driving is offered now, MB are so confident in this release that they have accepted total liability for the drivers whilst using it, next comes higher speed autonomous driving. The progressive approach in every functionality is obvious.

All this coding, design and the associated UX testing plus the scale of implementation of this architecture with all these partners at all levels of the MB.OS takes time. 1.8 years just for 'just talk' or 'Hey Mercedes' functionality alone.

We might see a lower share price if there is no $ in the EOY report tied up with our licensed partners but only from Cold Dead Hands will anyone get a single one of my shares.

But I believe Magnus from MB when he summarised by saying
  • As the architect we can report that our MB.OS built project is making Excellent progress
  • Our living space is already well ahead of schedule and gives us the freedom and scope offer the best personalised luxury experience.
  • Our partnerships ensure we offer the best content and navigation to assit us to retain our lead in relation to autated driving.
Royalties from this collaboration of parntners will appear in the financials in due course.
Thanks @Falling Knife, you expressed exactly what I was trying to say in my poorly worded post earlier.
I believe Akida is included in MB.OS 1.0 onward and therefore working directly with MB and not through an OEM.

Brainchip doesn't supply sensors, they make them smarter. With that in mind I don't think we should've expect to be named in the MB presentation.

I have 3 questions.
1. Why do we expect akida to be a component in an OEM system when MB declared they worked directly with Brainchip to develop Akida to suit their needs.
2. Is it not logical that MB have their own proprietary tech of which akida is a part of and other OEM systems connect into.
3. If MB have their own proprietary tech as 2 above, why would they disclose that to the world. It's their secret sauce after all.

• Fire
Reactions: 20 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Yeah, I understand though that reference was made in terms of how the operating system functions to save power. Of course Akida tech saves power using spikes - we all know that, but what intrigued me was this description was about the OS doing the same. At least that was how I took it?
Hi jtardfi,

@SharesForBrekky posted this on the 19th: #47,446

Mercedes EV rival to the Tesla Model 3 imagined - Automotive Daily (autodaily.com.au)

https://www.autodaily.com.au/mercedes-rival-to-the-tesla-model-3-imagined/

Car News: Mercedes EV rival to the Tesla Model 3 imagined; By Sean Carson. February 17, 2023

This tech transfer will extend to the infotainment, because the new car will also mark the debut of Mercedes’ MB.OS infotainment system. The new model will likely offer a widescreen digital dash and infotainment panel as part of the company’s target for its advanced graphical interfaces, but it’s the system behind the scenes that could be even more interesting.

Mercedes has experimented with a new type of processor that performs tasks in “neuromorphic spikes”. Put simply, this means that the computer stores up tasks and executes them in one go once a threshold is reached, saving energy and boosting driving range in the process.

... which is clearly a reference to Akida.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 46 users

Bobbyk4819

Emerged
Hi Everyone, I'm stepping out of my comfort zone here, or just can't find a GIF to explain it thoroughly. So here goes.thoroughly
I really appreciate all the information that is put up for the rest of us to peruse. I guess it is lazy to just use other peoples hard work but some people have a lot of other things going on elsewhere as well, or they just aren't as good at researching.

That being said there are a few special posters that have from the very start contributed highly regarded information that I and lots of others very much appreciate and potentially would be lost without during tougher times. While I do my own research, as should everyone, sometimes the commentary around others research, is worth far more by the way it's relayed, something which I'm sure a lot of people take for granted but I would just like to offer my sincere thanks for all information.

As far as opposing views leading to elevated tensions, I think we should all take a step back from the sandpit and think, "does it really matter if we disagree, at least I know my opinion has been considered", or you could think, "f*&K off idiot, I'm right and you're wrong"! You have the power to decide and then keep scrolling if you wish. At no point do I wish these posts weren't there as without a contrarian viewpoint, we just end up becoming sheep that just follow the crowd, while investing in a company that is doing completely the opposite. This contrarian view makes me question and then research further to decide for myself. And people can call me what they want as I'm big enough and ugly enough to take it!

Now for the Gifs, yeah I know some hit and some miss and may overstep the true nature of this forum but the great Ricky Gervais once said if you think of something funny or a good joke, risk it and say it, as you may just make 1 persons day and that potential result is lost forever if you refrain. The risk of offending someone else, is that persons issue to bear, as being "offended" is a choice every person has to choose to be.

I fully believe in the company and hope we see huge amounts of wealth created all round as we are all here for this reason. Anyone having invested long ago will understand its just how our SP goes from time to time but one day I believe it will shoot up much higher and not turn back and then everyone will then be everyone else's mate again, except the shorters, they can burn on our rocket jets.

Rant over, stay positive everyone or negative that's your choice but realise "The burgers are better at Hungry Jacks"!

Will you look at that, I did find a gif that explains it all!!

giphy.gif

• Thinking
Reactions: 2 users

• Fire
Reactions: 12 users
When this place is allowed to work free of manipulation you can only marvel at the value of the research and analysis that is brought to an issue.

Many thanks @jtardif999, @VictorG, @Falling Knife, @Diogenese

However my opinion only so DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 25 users

Diogenese

Top 20

Nice assessment ;​

Arm is expected to make large gains .

Brainchip/ Arm = Armed & Dangerous

AMD expected to occupy over 20% of server CPU market and Arm 8% in 2023, according to DIGITIMES Research​

Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES Asia, TaipeiWednesday 22 February 20230

5_b.jpg

Credit: DIGITIMES
AMD and Arm have been gaining up on Intel in the server CPU market in the past few years, and the margins of the share that AMD had won over were especially large in 2022 as datacenter operators and server brands began finding that solutions from the number-2 maker growing superior to those of the long-time leader, according to Frank Kung, DIGITIMES Research analyst focusing primarily on the server industry, who anticipates that AMD's share will well stand above 20% in 2023, while Arm will get 8%.
Prices are one of the three major drivers that resulted in datacenter operators and server brands switching to AMD. Comparing server CPUs from AMD and Intel with similar numbers of cores, clockspeed, and hardware specifications, the price tags of most of the former's products are at least 30% cheaper than the latter's, and the differences could go as high as over 40%, Kung said.
Such a gap makes a key difference to server companies as they usually procure their CPUs in large volumes and picking AMD's solutions would make a major reduction in their costs. Since Intel's and AMD's processors are both based on the x86 architecture, compatibility is not an issue that server companies need to worry about, Kung noted.
AMD CPUs' high number of cores also makes them perfect for the server environment as the higher the number of cores a CPU has, the more servicing capability it can offer. AMD's 96-core Genoa-architected EPYC processor was launched in the fourth quarter of 2022 with a 128-core CPU set to debut in the first half of 2023, while Intel's best offering in terms of the core number still stays at 60 at the moment.
Support from TSMC is the second driver. AMD's server CPUs are all made via TSMC's latest manufacturing process, allowing them to feature top-notch performances, noted Kung, adding that thanks to TSMC's advanced technologies and high yield rate, AMD has not had a problem with missing its product launch schedule. However, such is not the case with Intel.
The third driver is the fact that Intel is manufacturing all its top-tier CPUs in house. Information from Intel's upstream suppliers shows that Intel's in-house manufacturing technologies have been rather unstable during the past several years, while server brands and datacenter operators have often seen Intel delaying the volume production schedule of its new server platform.
Read more: Meet the Analysts articles
Among datacenter operators, Microsoft and Google are the keenest in procuring servers powered by AMD's solutions. Currently, over 30% of server orders placed by the two cloud service providers are AMD-based models, while within server brands, HP Enterprise (HPE) is keener on AMD-powered servers.
Arm-based processors' penetration in the server market was a bit slower compared to AMD-based ones in 2022 in terms of market share increase, and the growth will decelerate even more in 2023, said Kung. However, in the long term, Arm-based processors will still have the potential for major growth.
Although Arm-based CPUs can achieve a neck-to-neck computing performance compared to x86-based ones from AMD and Intel while consuming much less power, compatibility is currently their biggest weakness.
Since most server programs are designed based on the x86 architecture, the problem is unlikely to fix until more Arm-based servers start to show up, attracting more middleware developers to join the market and write solutions to translate x86 codes for Arm systems.
However, datacenter operators and server brands are still aggressive about Arm processors' development in the server market. Amazon and Alibaba have already started working on Arm-based products before 2022, Microsoft and Google also began projects with Arm products in 2022, and HPE is expanding its adoption of Arm-based servers. Nvidia is now pushing its GPUs to support Arm architecture and Ampere is developing Arm-based chips. In the upcoming years, the opportunity from ESG is expected to take off for Arm CPUs as demand from large-scale datacenter and edge computing servers will surge, Kung added.
Chart 1: Server shipment share by CPU, 2020-2023

Table 1: Server CPU roadmaps by supplier, 2021-2024
Supplier20212022(f)2023(f)2024(f)
IntelWhitley: supports PCIe 4.0; 10+nm nodeSapphire Rapids: supports PCIe 5.0; Intel 7 nodeEmerald Rapids: Intel 7 nodeGranite Rapids: Intel 3 node
AMDMilan: supports PCIe 4.0; 7nm node
Milan-X
Genoa: supports PCIe 5.0, 5nm node
Bergamo, Genoa-X and Siena: 5nm nodeTurin: 3nm node
ArmNeoverse N1V2New N series
AmpereAltra Max: 7nm nodeAmpereOne-1: supports PCIe 5.0; 5nm nodeAmpereOne-2AmpereOne-3: 3nm node
NvidiaGrace: 5nm node
Having an Akida front end on the servers of a server farm would be like adding a super-efficient cooling system only better. The amount of waste heat generated would be greatly reduced. Plus you could reduce the amount of energy needed to run the cooling system.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 45 users

Diogenese

Top 20
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 28 users

Diogenese

Top 20
  • Haha
  • Love

Tothemoon24

Top 20
It's time for the world government to step in and mandate the use of Akida in cloud servers to save Planet A.
Perhaps management should be standing up & beating their chests announcing this to the world

Can’t see how promoting one’s product capabilities does any harm unless
⬇️

Please don’t tell me the company’s placed a NDA on themselves which means they can’t tell us how great they are

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users

TECH

Regular
Hi Tech,

You have just mentioned something that has been in the back of my mind for quite a while and that is prospective customers looking but moving on. That happens to all business, but it the first time I have seen it mentioned with Brainchip. Thanks for that.
May I ask whether any of BRN's long list of "Partners" are included in the "gone away" category.

Thanks

Hey somme,

First off, my post contained my overall opinion, which could be 100% wrong or 100% right, it also included some facts, namely the one that you have raised, no partners, companies names or numbers were mentioned at the time, it really related to my question about, why haven't some, if not all of these EAP's signed an IP contract yet!

My words "gone away" could also be phrased as, "that's very interesting technology, at present we are 2 years into our current project, with 18 months to go before we mass market it, so nearer the time we will more than likely re-engage with you then to discuss adopting Akida into our next wave of designs, so thanks for showing us".

As I have mentioned before, it has been a steep learning curve going back to Lou's early days, and new guy Sean is getting a real taste of what it's like to bring "real disruptive" technology to bear, which I think I'd be correct in saying, he hasn't done throughout his career, happy to be corrected on that detail, this has been touted as bigger than the introduction of the internet.

Does anyone know if Peter met up with Bill Gates while he was travelling on the East Coast of Australia recently?

Have a relaxing evening.

Tech (Perth) 🙃(y)

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 19 users

Gazzafish

Regular
It's time for the world government to step in and mandate the use of Akida in cloud servers to save Planet A.
Highly doubt a government would
Mandate the use of a specific device or product but I would expect a government to mandate a power usage reduction target that all cloud servers had to meet by a predetermined date. Of course the only way they would meet it would be to introduce Akida but it’s still their business’s decision and not the governments…. Just my thoughts 👍 DYOR.

Reactions: 4 users

HopalongPetrovski

I'm Spartacus!
Perhaps management should be standing up & beating their chests announcing this to the world

Can’t see how promoting one’s product capabilities does any harm unless
⬇️

Please don’t tell me the company’s placed a NDA on themselves which means they can’t tell us how great they are

PVDM said in the recent podcast in response to what he foresaw over the next three years .......

"....what we see for the future is that we will be expanding our market beyond what is traditionally the edge.
So we will take a larger part of what's currently being done in the cloud.
And I'm particularly thinking about self driving cars, robotics and also the home automation market......
For that reason we are studying the neurology of the upper layers of the human brain,
the cortex, is where all our conscious thoughts are taking place and high level processing happens.
And we're implementing those architectures in...within the neuromorphic core."

My take is that basically, they are still working on it.
They have a clever plan 🤣 and Rome wasn't built in a day, but that's a lot of potential progress in over just the next three years.
My wallet is itching. 🤣

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 39 users

TheDon

Regular
I had a dream last night that the announcement was soo good. Wait! I've already used that line. Hmm! Ok, Brn is like a fire. first thing you see is a smoke. The smoke that we see now are the ecosystem that Brn created. Then fire, big fire. Big enough to burn all the shorters.

My Opinion Only

TheDon

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 21 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Hey somme,

First off, my post contained my overall opinion, which could be 100% wrong or 100% right, it also included some facts, namely the one that you have raised, no partners, companies names or numbers were mentioned at the time, it really related to my question about, why haven't some, if not all of these EAP's signed an IP contract yet!

My words "gone away" could also be phrased as, "that's very interesting technology, at present we are 2 years into our current project, with 18 months to go before we mass market it, so nearer the time we will more than likely re-engage with you then to discuss adopting Akida into our next wave of designs, so thanks for showing us".

As I have mentioned before, it has been a steep learning curve going back to Lou's early days, and new guy Sean is getting a real taste of what it's like to bring "real disruptive" technology to bear, which I think I'd be correct in saying, he hasn't done throughout his career, happy to be corrected on that detail, this has been touted as bigger than the introduction of the internet.

Does anyone know if Peter met up with Bill Gates while he was travelling on the East Coast of Australia recently?

Have a relaxing evening.

Tech (Perth) 🙃(y)

Judging your market when you have groundbreaking disruptive tech can be tricky.

Back in1943, the boss of IBM was reported as saying that the world only needed a handful of computers.

In our case, we've changed from software to hardware to IP, the last being the hardest sell, but the most lucrative.

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 22 users

VictorG

Hoping for the end of year report at close of business tomorrow followed by 5% gains on US markets Friday night, a BRN trading halt Monday morning followed by a price sensitive MOA announcement, BRN with a 50% price jump after trading halt lifted and every shorter reduced to ashes.
Failing that, I'll have to settle for the $20 million Powerball tonight.

• Haha
  • Fire

Mugen74

Regular
Highly doubt a government would
Mandate the use of a specific device or product but I would expect a government to mandate a power usage reduction target that all cloud servers had to meet by a predetermined date. Of course the only way they would meet it would be to introduce Akida but it’s still their business’s decision and not the governments…. Just my thoughts 👍 DYOR.
What If BRN told them AKIDA is non binary? Im pretty sure the pollies would then be falling over themselves to throw money at them or make usage mandatory

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
D

Deleted member 118

seriously you need another accountant bro....
Bankruptcy and the ATO forgetting to update there files on me never helped after my 3 years was over, but I’ve never been so happy with the ATO in my life

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Xray1

Regular
I wonder if BRN is considering pursuing " Carbon Credits " as potentially another Co revenue income stream resource.

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Not sure if posted already

Video from Socionext on their custom SoC solutions.

A couple of screenshots;

1677136710491.png

1677136853955.png

I know this isn't a product per se, but a solution offered to automakers. Socionext started developing their own Neural Network Accelerator (NNA) engine https://www.eu.socionext.com/nextne...ator-engine-optimized-for-edge-computing.html circa 2018 before the partnership with Brainchip https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...utions-at-ces-2023-booth-10654-301707857.html in 2022, so what are the chances that Akida is in this... maybe @Diogenese or our other resident experts can weigh in.

Also I find it interesting that the vehicle market is being "democratised" by all these essential technologies like vehicle OSes, powertrains, battery storage and SoCs etc. being available piecemeal. Reminds me of how in the 90s & early 00s Nokia and Motorola were the major players in the handphone market as no one else had the capability to design and build them from ground up, but with SoCs and software being made available in the ensuing years any Tom, Dick or Harry can now build a phone brand. Perhaps the first Kickstarter car isn't too far away.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 18 users
Top Bottom