BRN Discussion Ongoing

Diogenese

Top 20
They also said 90nm back in Aug 2021

Technology News | August 2, 2021
Startup BrainChip Inc. has a road-map of larger and smaller SoC exemplars of its Akida spiking neural networking processing architecture and could go to fully-depleted silicon on insulator (FDSOI).
By Peter Clarke

Share:

BrainChip is starting to deliver its Akida1000 system chip to customers although the company insists that is main business model is intellectual property licensing, similar to ARM’sThe Akida1000 contains 80 neural processors and is implemented in 28nm CMOS (see Brainchip’s Akida is a fast learner) and Brainchip announced the start of volume production in April 2021. This was shortly after Louis DiNardo quietly left the position of CEO in March. Peter van der Made, the founder of Brainchip and previously CTO, has taken up the CEO role.

Anil Mankar, chief development officer, told eeNews Europe: “Chip production volume is just starting now. But you will see a lot of IP licensing going forward.” He added: “We are process agnostic.”

The near-term focus is supplying the Akida IP to 22nm although some customers may go back to 90nm process, Akida executives said.
Rob Telson, vice president of worldwide sales, said BrainChip is drawing up plans for smaller and larger versions of Akida under the names Akida500, Akida1500 and Akida2000. Some of these may well comply to a new generation of the Akida architecture – Akida 2.0 – due to arrive in 2022. It is thought Akida500 could be implemented in 22nm FDSOI manufacturing process, and serve as a demonstrator of the agnostic nature of the Akida architecture.

Mankar emphasizes that the Akida architecture can implement both conventional convolutional neural networks (CNNs) and spiking neural networks (SNNs) that allow for a broader range of data processing models and learnings. The human brain based on spiking signals passed between neurons. “Spikes are spatio-temporal. There’s a lot of information to extract from spikes that we are not yet taking advantage of,” said Mankar.
The scalability of the architecture is also important, he said. “Our IP can from 2 processing nodes to 128,” said Mankar. If a licensee goes to 7nm CMOS then they can go to many nodes, he added.
Next: Free development tools

The MetaTF software development tools are free and allow users to investigate what Akida can do for their application, how many processing nodes they need. For some customers Akida is prepared to supply boards with the Akida1000 silicon and provide help customizing the network. Others will want to license and optimize their own chip.
One of the application areas of interest is automotive where Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML) to train an increasing number of sensors, components, image and video processors in each vehicle. Autonomous vehicles and near-autonomous vehicles are predicted to generate between 12 and 15 terabytes of data for every two hours of driving.
Latency, power consumption and privacy are the key reasons not to send this data to the cloud for processing.
One advantage of spiking neural network architectures is the ability to perform
real-time incremental learning, sometimes called one-shot learning, within a fraction of a second. The ability to add voice commands, accept individuals as drivers by facial recognition and to flag events as significant or not in sensors is improved when using Akida, said BrainChip executives. “We are being benchmarked against deep learning accelerators and a GPU vendor and it is coming back favourably to us.”
Related links and articles:
www.brainchipinc.com
News articles:
NASA looks to BrainChip’s spiking neural network chip for space
Manchester, Dresden, Globalfoundries produce SpiNNaker2 chip
IEDM: CEA-Leti integrates spiking neural network
Brainchip’s Akida is a fast learner
Hi TechGirl,

Just a guess, but I think 90 nm would have greater immunity to radiation-induced faults. Now do we know anyone to whom such a feature would be of interest?

Being benchmarked against a GPU vendor puts us in an invideous position.

• Fire
Reactions: 16 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
Hi FF. I hope you are right, and you might be to some degree, but this is more related to the fact that Moscow sits towards one end of the vast North European Plain.

This plain is largely open and relatively flat with very little in the way of natural defences. Moscow's location in particular is indefensible.

Moscow’s experience with invasions goes back to the Mongol invasion of Kievan Rus and the Siege Of Moscow in 1238. That was from the east.

In the past 210 years Russia has had to deal with three invasions from the west; once by the French and twice by the Germans. The Poles have also had a go from time to time (although they are more often on the receiving end). The second invasion by the Germans cost the Russians 20 million dead.

Russia’s longstanding strategy to deal with this lack of natural defensive terrain is to create a buffer zone by pushing its borders out as far as possible to any mountainous region it can reach, most notably the Carpathians in central/eastern Europe and the Caucasus mountains to the south.

Unfortunately, this strategy involves the Russians occupying other people’s territory. It is well known in the region that once the Russians are there, it is very hard to get them to go home.

The end of the Cold War meant they did go home. Ever since, NATO has been expanding eastwards and Putin sees this as a threat to Russia. He sees Ukrainian membership of NATO (if it were to occur) as an existential threat to Russia. The Ukrainian border is just 450 km from Moscow. Most modern main battle tanks can do that on one or two tanks of fuel…

You and I both know NATO has no intention of invading Russia, and as far as I know don’t have plans to permit Ukraine into NATO. Strategic planning, however, is not based on intent but on capability. The Russians are understandably paranoid.

Putin has said the collapse of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical disaster of the Twentieth Century. He was not concerned so much with the downfall of Communism as he was with the disintegration of the Soviet “Empire” and the loss of the other 14 ‘republics’ that made up the Soviet Union. That made up Russia’s buffer zone.

Putin is intent on rebuilding Russia’s might and if not recovering the buffer zone, at least having a good degree of control over it.

I don’t know if the Russians will invade this week or not, but they occupied Ukraine for 400 years and they are not about to just walk away and leave it alone.

Disclosure: My father is Ukrainian (but Australian for the past 70 years). His step-father, whom I called grandfather and whose name I carry, was Polish.

Beautifully written Equitable. Exquisite in fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users

MarekLa

I'm just going to re-awaken this one because, to me it looked suspiciously like Mercedes and Bosch could have something going on together in the smart home department as well.

View attachment 1006

I prefer Akida Ballista 🇩🇪🇦🇺

Reactions: 12 users

Equitable

Regular
Reactions: 10 users
Beautifully written Equitable. Exquisite in fact.
I work in a global network control centre and our estimate is 15%-20% Russian full invasion of Ukraine, which is higher than I would have expected but there are wiser minds it seems. Living in Belgium, gas prices are already high and a crisis would be dreadful, Putin will time it for the winter if we are indeed heading down that path. At least there exists Akida which will change the world in a far different way.

• Sad
  • Fire
Reactions: 11 users

Krustor

Regular
Ok...... FF here is some more to add to your posts. Some EXTRA wood to put on that FIRE!

Thomas Hülsing​

System-of-Systems Engineering​

Konstanz, Baden-Württemberg, Deutschland​

You might be interested to know that BADEN-WURTTEMBERG is a "suburb" of STUTTGART in Bavaria, just happens to be where MERCEDES BENZ and BMW are based. MERC Museum is quite outstanding and worth the visit also. :)

Yak52.
Sorry Yak52 - I have to correct you because you are completly wrong. I just flew over the next pages and couldnt find this post beeing corrected - so if it has been done yet, sorry for double correction.
- Baden-Württemberg is not a suburb of Stuttgart. Baden-Württemberg is one of Germanys 16 Federal states (like Queensland is one of Australia)
- Stuttgart is the Capital of Baden-Württemberg
- So Stuttgart is not located in Bavaria (onother Federal state)
- BMW is located in Munich (the capital of federal state Bavaria)
- Konstanz is a city in the Federal state Baden-Württemberg
- Unfortunately the city Konstanz has nothing to do with Stuttgart (Mercedes headquarter) or Munich (BMW headquarter)

Please see the map of Germanys federal states with ther capitals below (Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria are the two in the very south)

bundeslaender-deutschland-hauptstaedte.jpg

Reactions: 26 users

BaconLover

Founding Member

The Fools writes an article about the SP decline today and then writes about Musks neurolink monkey publicity issues with the heading:
A case of mistaken identity?

They are living up to their name the fools!

I have posted this previously on HC, but this is a timely reminder why we should AVOID these fools.

Must watch for all investors (along with the must read ''The psychology of money'' book) 👌

Reactions: 20 users

Tony Coles

Regular

I have posted this previously on HC, but this is a timely reminder why we should AVOID these fools.

Must watch for all investors (along with the must read ''The psychology of money'' book) 👌

I’ll see it later, hey BL check out MGT thread has arrived on the stock exchange a couple of days ago, welcome them in mate and make them feel at home. Hopefully the others will join, more members.

• Fire
Reactions: 11 users

AARONASX

Holding onto what I've got

Thanks Bacon, yes a wise and timely reminder, everyone should take note 19-21mins. 😉

@uiux love the piss take on hc. That feeble has no shame

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users

TheFunkMachine

seeds have the potential to become trees.
Dr knows-some-of-it admitted that he does not understand the tech.

In a nutshell, spiking neural networks (SNNs) work by comparing patterns of input spike events (also referred to as activations) with stored patterns of spikes representing a known item or object (referred to as weights). In the case of images, an event is a change in pixel signal strength, so where there are several pixels with the same signal strength, no "event" occurs, and thus no spike is generated.

The good Doctor equates spiking neural networks (ASNNS) with analog spiking neural networks in which neurons accumulate input voltage spikes to reach a threshold voltage required to trigger an output voltage spike.

PvdM invented digital spiking neural networks (DSNNs) in which neurons accumulate input digital bits ("1-bit") in order to accumulate a threshold count of binary 1's to trigger an output 1-bit "spike". The digital binary circuits are standard semicoductor logic circuits which are easier and more reliable to implement than analog circuits.

PvdM's DSNNs are capable of on-chip learning, a feature which ANNs struggle to implement.

ANNs also suffer from the problem of of manufacturing variations and inconsistencies which affect the reliability of the magnitude and consequently the addition of spike voltages.

The doctor talks about transistors acting as amplifiers and as binary switshes. this is illustrated in this simplified graph:

View attachment 1002

The output of the amplifier region is critically dependent on the precise nature of the slope of the amplifier line and is very sensitive to variations in the input voltage, whereas output of the binary switch zone is almost entirley independent of variations in the input voltage magnitude beyond the "knee" of the curve. The "Binary Zone" is the saturauion region of the transistor.

ANNs operate in the amplifier zone, while DSNNs operate in the binary zone.

[Note that the shape of the transistor operation line varies with the applied supply voltage.]
Ok, so if that was an answer to my question am I fair to say that Brainchips patent covers a wide spectrum in the digital SNN of Neuromorphic chips whiles others could potentially go down the less beneficial rout of analog SNN to get around Brainchips patents ?

Thanks for the reply:)

Reactions: 5 users

uiux

Regular
  • Haha
Reactions: 25 users

Quatrojos

Regular
Reactions: 4 users

uiux

Regular
  • Haha
Reactions: 25 users

Quatrojos

Regular
you are right

I should have seriously upped my meme output
Yes, instead of being so mean!

Reactions: 3 users

JK200SX

Regular

I met Peter Thornehill back in 2017. He is a very smart man who has amassed great wealth from the stock market. His strategies relate to long term investing in LIC's and ETF and not to time and beat the market - the market will do the hard yards on it own.
Similarly when you apply his principles to BRN, one would buy and hold for the long term. There is really no need to constantly buy and sell the share trying to time the market with the possibility of making a gain or making a massive loss or even not being able to gain a position in the share at all.

(Peter's a born and bred Reservoir boy from Melbournes North! The most amazing story he told me once was that he used to do drug (medicines) deliveries with his push bike after school. He would ride his bike after school from Reservoir, to a pharmaceutical distribution site off Bell st in Preston. He would load up his bag with various drugs and take them back to the various pharmacies that existed on his way home. Imagine having a kid do that these days!)

• Wow
  • Fire
Reactions: 24 users

BaconLover

Founding Member
I met Peter Thornehill back in 2017. He is a very smart man who has amassed great wealth from the stock market. His strategies relate to long term investing in LIC's and ETF and not to time and beat the market - the market will do the hard yards on it own.
Similarly when you apply his principles to BRN, one would buy and hold for the long term. There is really no need to constantly buy and sell the share trying to time the market with the possibility of making a gain or making a massive loss or even not being able to gain a position in the share at all.

(Peter's a born and bred Reservoir boy from Melbournes North! The most amazing story he told me once was that he used to do drug (medicines) deliveries with his push bike after school. He would ride his bike after school from Reservoir, to a pharmaceutical distribution site off Bell st in Preston. He would load up his bag with various drugs and take them back to the various pharmacies that existed on his way home. Imagine having a kid do that these days!)
That's awesome. He has come across as a genuine hardworking and a man with integrity. Not a quality that you see in Financial industry.
I followed him when I started my journey, and must say, a few of his YouTube videos helped me immensely when I started. Still helps me in my mindset, and let's be real, investing is mostly mindset.
I have read his book too, ''Motivated Money'', still has the book with me. Highly recommended as well for those who get a bit upset when share price drops down a bit.

Reactions: 22 users

JDelekto

Regular
you are right

I should have seriously upped my meme output

What would be funny is if someone were to create a Web page with an innocuous article about BrainChip, pretty much mention all the knowns, etc., then post a link to the story here and see if it were to surface on HC. Assuming that it does, replace the images with, "This Article was Plagiarized by....." and let it go at that.

• Haha

Fox151

Regular
What would be funny is if someone were to create a Web page with an innocuous article about BrainChip, pretty much mention all the knowns, etc., then post a link to the story here and see if it were to surface on HC. Assuming that it does, replace the images with, "This Article was Plagiarized by....." and let it go at that.
I'm sure any genuine investor looking to do some due dilligence via hot crapper would see that only one person is posting all these articles and see through it.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Yes, instead of being so mean!

Quatrojos, this forum has been quite pleasant without name calling. Let’s not start now please.

I value Uiux’s input very much and appreciate all the hard work he does; providing factual information at a level much higher than I could produce or sometimes even understand. I also like his quick witted humour and the fact he doesn’t tolerate fools.

Let’s not act like the other forum. I haven’t visited that once since I left. I have moved on and don’t really care what they do or don’t do.

The best thing to do is live a good and happy life. I do that by looking forwards with positivity. Every day is a fresh start; full of choices and opportunites!

Cheers

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 57 users
Top Bottom