SUBSCRIBE LOGIN/REGISTER

DESIGNLINES
AI & BIG DATA DESIGNLINE

Cars That Think Like You​

By Sally Ward-Foxton 07.22.2022 0
Share Post
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Car makers are checking out neuromorphic technology to implement AI–powered features such as keyword spotting, driver attention, and passenger behavior monitoring.
Imitating biological brain processes is alluring because it promises to enable advanced features without adding significant power draw at a time when vehicles are trending towards battery–powered operation. Neuromorphic computing and sensing also promise benefits like extremely low latency, enabling real–time decision making in some cases. This combination of latency and power efficiency is extremely attractive.
Here’s the lowdown on how the technology works and a hint on how this might appear in the cars of the future.

With the rise of artificial intelligence, technologies claiming to be “brain-inspired” are abundant. We examine what neuromorphic means today in our Neuromorphic Computing Special Project.

SPIKING NETWORKS

The truth is there are still some things about how the human brain works that we just don’t understand. However, cutting–edge research suggests that neurons communicate with each other by sending electrical signals known as spikes to each other, and that the sequences and timing of spikes are the crucial factors, rather than their magnitude. The mathematical model of how the neuron responds to these spikes is still being worked out. But many scientists agree that if multiple spikes arrive at the neuron from its neighbors at the same time (or in very quick succession), that would mean the information represented by those spikes is correlated, therefore causing the neuron to fire off a spike to its neighbor.

This is in contrast to artificial neural networks based on deep learning (mainstream AI today) where information propagates through the network at a regular pace; that is, the information coming into each neuron is represented as numerical values and is not based on timing.
Making artificial systems based on spiking isn’t easy. Aside from the fact we don’t know exactly how the neuron works, there is also no agreement on the best way to train spiking networks. Backpropagation — the algorithm that makes training deep learning algorithms possible today — requires computation of derivatives, which is not possible for spikes. Some people approximate derivatives of spikes in order to use backpropagation (like SynSense) and some use another technique called spike timing dependent plasticity (STDP), which is closer to how biological brains function. STDP, however, is less mature as a technology (BrainChip uses this method for one–shot learning at the edge). There is also the possibility of taking deep learning CNNs (convolutional neural networks), trained by backpropagation in the normal way, and converting them to run in the spiking domain (another technique used by BrainChip).

SYNSENSE SPECK

SynSense is working with BMW to advance the integration of neuromorphic chips into smart cockpits and explore related fields together. BMW will be evaluating SynSense’s Speck SoC, which combines SynSense’s neuromorphic vision processor with a 128 x 128–pixel event–based camera from Inivation. It can be used to capture real–time visual information, recognize and detect objects, and perform other vision–based detection and interaction functions.
“When BMW replaces RGB cameras with Speck modules for vision sensing, they can replace not just the sensor but also a significant chunk of GPU or CPU computation required to process standard RGB vision streams,” Dylan Muir, VP global research operations at SynSense, told EE Times.
Using an event–based camera provides higher dynamic range than standard cameras, beneficial for the extreme range of lighting conditions experienced inside and outside the car.
BMW will explore neuromorphic technology for car applications, including driver attention and passenger behavior monitoring with the Speck module.
“We will explore additional applications both inside and outside the vehicle in coming months,” Muir said.
SynSense’s neuromorphic vision processor has a fully asynchronous digital architecture. Each neuron uses integer logic with 8–bit synaptic weights, a 16–bit neuron state, 16–bit threshold, and single–bit input and output spikes. The neuron uses a simple integrate–and–fire model, combining the input spikes with the neuron’s synaptic weights until the threshold is reached, when the neuron fires a simple one–bit spike. Overall, the design is a balance between complexity and computational efficiency, Muir said.
SynSense model of the neuron SynSense’s electronic neuron is based on the integrate–and–fire model. (Source: SynSense)
SynSense’s digital chip is designed for processing event–based CNNs, with each layer processed by a different core. Cores operate asynchronously and independently; the entire processing pipeline is event driven.
“Our Speck modules operate in real–time and with low latency,” Muir said. “We can manage effective inference rates of >20Hz at <5mW power consumption. This is much faster than what would be possible with traditional low–power compute on standard RGB vision streams.”
While SynSense and BMW will be exploring neuromorphic car use cases in the “smart cockpit” initially, there is potential for other automotive applications, too.
“To begin with we will explore non–safety–critical use cases,” Muir said. “We are planning future versions of Speck with higher resolution, as well as revisions of our DynapCNN vision processor that will interface with high–resolution sensors. We plan that these future technologies will support advanced automotive applications such as autonomous driving, emergency braking, etc.”
SynSense Speck Module SynSense and Inivation Speck module — an event–based camera module which incorporates sensor and processor. (Source: SynSense)

BRAINCHIP AKIDA

The Mercedes EQXX concept car, debuted at CES 2022, features BrainChip’s Akida neuromorphic processor performing in–cabin keyword spotting. Promoted as “the most efficient Mercedes–Benz ever built,” the car takes advantage of neuromorphic technology to use less power than deep learning powered keyword spotting systems. This is crucial for a car that is supposed to deliver a 620–mile range (about 1,000 km) on a single battery charge, 167 miles further than Mercedes’ flagship electric vehicle, the EQS
Mercedes said at the time that BrainChip’s solution was 5 to 10× more efficient than conventional voice control when spotting the wake word “Hey Mercedes”.
Neuromorphic Car Mercedes EQXX Mercedes’ EQXX concept EV has a power efficiency of more than 6.2 miles per kWh, almost double that of the EQS. (Source: Mercedes)

“Although neuromorphic computing is still in its infancy, systems like these will be available on the market in just a few years,” according to Mercedes. “When applied at scale throughout a vehicle, they have the potential to radically reduce the energy needed to run the latest AI technologies.”
“[Mercedes is] looking at big issues like battery management and transmission, but every milliwatt counts, and the context of [BrainChip’s] inclusion was that even the most basic inference, like spotting a keyword, is important when you consider the power envelope,” Jerome Nadel, chief marketing officer at BrainChip, told EE Times.
Nadel said that a typical car in 2022 may have as many as 70 different sensors. For in–cabin applications, these sensors may be enabling facial detection, gaze estimation, emotion classification, and more.
“From a systems architecture point of view, we can do it in a 1:1 way, there’s a sensor that will do a level of pre–processing, and then the data will be forwarded,” he said. “There would be AI inference close to the sensor and… it would pass the inference meta data forward and not the full array of data from the sensor.”
The idea is to minimize the size and complexity of data packets sent to AI accelerators in automotive head units, while lowering latency and minimizing energy requirements. With a potential for 70 Akida chips or Akida–enabled sensors in each vehicle, Nadel said each one will be a “low–cost part that will play a humble role,” noting that the company needs to be mindful of the bill of materials for all these sensors.
BrainChip Akida neuromorphic processor in car system BrainChip sees its neuromorphic processor next to every sensor in a car. (Source: BrainChip)
Looking further into the future, Nadel said neuromorphic processing will find its way into ADAS and autonomous vehicle systems, too. There is potential to reduce the need for other types of power–hungry AI accelerators.
“If every sensor had a limited, say, one or two node implementation of Akida, it would do the sufficient inference and the data that would be passed around would be cut by an order of magnitude, because it would be the inference metadata… that would have an impact on the horsepower that you need in the server in the trunk,” he said.
BrainChip’s Akida chip accelerates spiking neural networks (SNNs) and convolutional neural networks (via conversion to SNNs). It is not tailored for any particular use case or sensor, so it can work with vision sensing for face recognition or person detection, or other audio applications such as speaker ID. BrainChip has also demonstrated Akida with smell and taste sensors, though it’s more difficult to imagine how these sensors might be used in automotive (smelling and tasting for air pollution or fuel quality, perhaps).
Akida is set up to process SNNs or deep learning CNNs that have been converted to the spiking domain. Unlike native spiking networks, converted CNNs retain some information in spike magnitude, so 2– or 4–bit computation may be required. This approach, hwoever, allows exploitation of CNNs’ properties, including their ability to extract features from large datasets. Both types of networks can be updated at the edge using STDP — in the Mercedes example, that might mean retraining the network to spot more or different keywords after deployment.
Neuromorphic Car Mercedes EQXX interior Mercedes used BrainChip’s Akida processor to listen for the keyword “Hey Mercedes” in the cabin of its EQXX concept EV. (Source: Mercedes)
Mercedes has confirmed that “many innovations”, including “specific components and technologies” from the EQXX concept car, will make it into production vehicles, reports Autocar. There is no word yet on whether new models of Mercedes will feature artificial brains.
RELATED TOPICS: AI, AI AND BIG DATA, AUTOMOTIVE, AUTOMOTIVE ARCHITECTURE, NEUROMORPHIC, NEUROMORPHIC ENGINEERING, NEUROMORPHIC RESEARCH, NEUROMORPHIC TECHNOLOGY, NEUROMORPHIC VISION, SENSOR
A question for the whole class.

The second half of this article is clearly all about BRN.

But the first half speaks about Synsense Speck, who are working with BMW. Is there a chance that we are involved here as well, perhaps through Prophesee??

Thanks for your wisdom in advance.

Panda

• Thinking
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

Townyj

Ermahgerd
Hi SG.
I think we have similar tastes in cars. My first sports car was a gold 260Z, this was followed by a 300ZX, then an MX5, I looked at a Stinger but they are BIG and wouldn't fit in my garage with my gym. Ended up buying another special edition manual MX5, which was a major improvement on the old and is great fun to drive. Hence I'm not looking forward to when everything is autonomous.
Apparently the next MX5 will be hybrid and manual and faster. That could be my next car. View attachment 12270

Great Taste in Cars.. although the MX5.. hmmm. Each to their own :D

The 240Z 260Z and 280Z, Fairlady Z are such a nice model. 300ZX very nice as well.

I regret selling two cars in my life.. VL Berlina wagon Turbo with the Nissan 3.0L and my Series 8 RX7 Twin Turbo.

Been waiting for Mazda to bring out a new Rotary or Hybrid (Rotary) Hopefully a new RX7 or RX9... fingers crossed.

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 6 users

HopalongPetrovski

I'm Spartacus!
It's been fun. aidios people👋
Will miss you Rise.
If you've had enough or just couldn't be bothered anymore, cool. :cool:
But certainly hope you haven't been bullied from these pages.
As I understand it, Zeeb0t is the ultimate arbiter here, as this is his universe we are all playing in.
Everyone else's comment is just an opinion.
In my opinion :ROFLMAO: the diversity, range, humour, personalities and disparate viewpoints expressed make this a place to come back to.
If whilst scrolling through I find content that I personally regard as irrelevant or boring its pretty easy to dismiss and move on.
So, I guess I'm advocating for tolerance here.
I think this place is pretty special, and would hate to see it become dominated by any particular agenda.
AKIDA BALLISTA
AKIDA EVERYWHERE
GLTAH

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 43 users
F

Filobeddo

The 240Z 260Z and 280Z, Fairlady Z are such a nice model. 300ZX very nice as well.

I regret selling two cars in my life.. VL Berlina wagon Turbo with the Nissan 3.0L and my Series 8 RX7 Twin Turbo.

Been waiting for Mazda to bring out a new Rotary or Hybrid (Rotary) Hopefully a new RX7 or RX9... fingers crossed.

Can you be careful @Townyj what you put on here, even the ads are listening ;)😁

Just as I'm perusing minding my own business had a VL Walkinshaw giveaway pop up , and now I have to enter goddammit! ( no choice , wanted one very badly many moons ago )

1658536582574.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users

Boab

I wish I could paint like Vincent
Can you be careful @Townj what you put on here, even the ads are listening ;)

Just had a VL Walkinshaw giveaway pop up , and now I have to enter goddammit ( no choice , wanted one very badly many moons ago )

View attachment 12271
You dont get ad's if you pay a subscription to this website. You give, and @zeeb0t takes them away. Cool

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users

Xhosa12345

Regular
Will miss you Rise.
If you've had enough or just couldn't be bothered anymore, cool. :cool:
But certainly hope you haven't been bullied from these pages.
As I understand it, Zeeb0t is the ultimate arbiter here, as this is his universe we are all playing in.
Everyone else's comment is just an opinion.
In my opinion :ROFLMAO: the diversity, range, humour, personalities and disparate viewpoints expressed make this a place to come back to.
If whilst scrolling through I find content that I personally regard as irrelevant or boring its pretty easy to dismiss and move on.
So, I guess I'm advocating for tolerance here.
I think this place is pretty special, and would hate to see it become dominated by any particular agenda.
AKIDA BALLISTA
AKIDA EVERYWHERE
GLTAH
Agree, this is major if we have no reasonable explanation why he is leaving.....

Reactions: 5 users
F

Filobeddo

thinking
You dont get ad's if you pay a subscription to this website. You give, and @zeeb0t takes them away. Cool

Haha PvdM caught me out 😁 , problem is dont have enough for both

decisions .........Walkinshaw or Zeebot 🤔

But I really love V8's ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Shadow59

Regular

I agree regarding my first mx5 a much earlier model, was a bit slow after the 300zx and skid control interfered too much. Was looking for a 370z but there was no dealer in Qld that had a manual version, then I saw this in the showroom and took for test drive. Absolutely nothing like previous version plus special Ed had some good upgrades.
The promised next version is supposed to have an extra 100kw.

• Love

Esq.111

Fascinatingly Intuitive.
Morning Chippers,

Peruseing the weekend financial paper and Brainchip gets mentioned in two articles , albeit briefly.

1, Miners, banks favoured by younger investors.
Author, Lucy Dean.
* no mention in the preamble, but in the listing's of companys traded ,
Brainchip ranked number 17 out of Top twenty traded shares on the Selfwealth platform in 2022.
With $170,000,000.00 transacting.

&

2, ASX delivers best week since March.
Author, Emma Rapaport.
* again , nothing written in actual article , but ..
BrainChip +36.42% .second best stock by % rise.
Second biggest mover for the week, displayed in top five Best stocks & Worst stocks movers and shakers for the week.

Regards,
Esq.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 46 users

jtardif999

Regular
Hi all, haven‘t posted much lately as I’ve been flat out at work. It’s hard enough trying to keep up with the news flow and there has been some great research posted lately: thanks to all the contributors.

Got a question for the more experienced investors. I haven’t looked into it statistically but as I’ve been watching the price from afar over the last 18 months it seems to build up prior to the 4c as some FOMO and excitement creeps in with hope of the unexpected.

I don’t mean to diss the current SP rise and kill the happy mood but is that a tactic of the shorters? To pump the price up artificially prior to the 4C, then “obtain” (not sure if the terminology is right there) their short shares while the price is high with an expectation they can manipulate the price back down if the 4c is disappointing. The SP rise has been quite extra-ordinary over the last week.

The general thoughts, including mine are that the income will be low this 4c. I don’t have an issue with that as I am holding long term and appreciate the income will flow more next year and build steadily the year after that.

I’m thinking this next 1/4 is possibly the last one with very low income and therefore a last chance to try and keep the price down for the institutions to accumulate more at a cheap price. I’m a bit wary the a/holes may build the price up at the start of next week to give them a greater margin of error to drop the price later and also increase their profits. My inexperienced thoughts are that until steady revenue comes in we are a bit at the mercy of the Institutions and traders.

I could be completely wrong and the SP may have gone up due to the American Chips Act, general tech stocks rise, great work done by Jerome, extra publicity about Brainchip etc. I get there are plenty of genuine reasons which could account for the price rise as I think it should be higher based on what the 1000 eyes have uncovered but just wondering on others thoughts.

Happy for others to pose alternative opinions as I’m new in the game.

Heading out for a stout myself now so have a good weekend all!

Cheers
I have been having the same thoughts.. the share price rise is being manipulated around the 4c outcome - wish it wasn’t, but we’ve seen it before 🤔

Reactions: 7 users

buena suerte :-)

BOB Bank of Brainchip
It's been fun. aidios people👋
Hey Rise , you no doubt have your reasons for leaving, but it would be good to see you continue on this huge BRN journey with us all here @tse, your contributions are great fun and appreciated very much, take care and hope to see you back SOON ...... Cheers

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users

Learning

Learning to the Top 🕵‍♂️
Thanks for the reply Learning,

I’m not trying to be negative. I’m up 100 percent and could pay my house off tomorrow if I wanted to only I think Brainchip will increase significantly more than my mortgage will. Hence I‘ll leave my money sitting where it is! I won’t be selling anything until at least 2025 when Valeo have had massive sales with their Lidar product and Nanose has been released. Then I might buy myself a new car; at the moment I’m thinking a Kia Stinger if they’re still in existence, (they’re a fun car to drive and remind me of my first car which was a Datsun 260Z)

View attachment 12255

View attachment 12256

This photo isn’t mine but pretty well the same thing, was a beauty and I regret selling it! I actually had a matching motorbike the same colour, a Virago 535 which was great fun as well! I thought I was the coolest thing since sliced bread, but that was back in the early 90’s when I owned them!

View attachment 12257

Sorry, I digress, came back from a mates with a couple of beers under the belt and reminisce.

It was more a discussion point as I have been reading of everyone getting excited with the SP rise which is great, however even though I think it could be justified because there is a lot known here I’m suspicious of how quickly it has risen. Even though there has been some great news shared on this forum I’m not convinced the general market is aware of the totality of it all. I put a fair bit of time into researching where Brainchip is at and I’m not sure the average investor puts the same amount of daily time or effort into it; hence they may have knowledge gaps or be as up to date as those on this forum.

You don’t need to sell the company to me; both my children and 1/2 a dozen work colleagues have bought in as I’ve been promoting the company to anyone interested as I’d love for all my colleagues to share in the wealth that will be created in the future. Just not sure where we’ll be in a few weeks time and trying to prepare people in case the 4c isn’t as expected and there is a manipulated price drop. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst! The forecast was “Lumpy.”

We’ll see what happens next week when the 4c comes out and how the SP goes. It’s easy in hindsight to comment on the share price but I don’t mind having a go at casting an opinion and seeing how accurate I am, as in reality what happens over the next few months won’t matter in relation to the next few years. I think the future looks great regardless of this upcoming 4c. I have confidence in the eco-system being developed, with strong fundamentals that enable significant growth in the future.

I’ll see how much egg is on my face in a week or so: I’m sure someone will remind me if I’m wrong. :) And I won’t be disappointed if that’s the case.

Cheers and have a great weekend!
Hi SG.

My apologies, if my post has lead to misunderstanding, I was only adding to your thought. I think we have travel a similar time line investing in BRN. So we have seen the up and down.

So even if they artificially pump the SP up before the 4C then short it. If the result of the financial is not strong. For you and me its doesn't make thats much difference because. We both done enough research to know where our journey end.

As for cars, I like Japanese car too.
20 ago I had this 99 model
Screenshot_20220723-111736_Chrome.jpg

Now I drive this 2016
Screenshot_20220723-112036_Chrome.jpg

Learning
Its great to be a shareholder

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 9 users

buena suerte :-)

BOB Bank of Brainchip
I guess those who are now stating they feel nervous about the "Increase" in SP recently have forgotten the FACT that we have been held down and UNDERVALUED for some time (thanks to the Shorters etc) as can be seen from the Pitt Street Report (priced BRN @ $1.50) and even FactFinders (FF) son (financial Professional international level) who assessed BRN @$1.70

Its not a case of it coming back down, it already is down and short squeeze, various news as mentioned here is finally having an effect on the SP.

One must remember that while our Company employees are responsible with info and no leaks, experts are employed by the major financial Banks, Funds etc to do D/D and they have contacts across the iT Industry which they use to find out how & who is doing what.
The "Big" boyz know way before any release of who is signing, using, manufacturing what and would know of BrainChips progress. Its what they are paid to do! So this SP increase is no surprise to me, it is a refection of how the "Market" (corrupt bugger that it is) is aware of Brainchip and getting on board the bus.

Yak52 :cool:
Spot on Yak .... absolutely agree with you mate ... we are just gradually moving back up to where we deserve to be! Loving this journey :)

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 11 users

Diogenese

Top 20
I hope brainchip can bust this head scratcher
When I was very much younger, I knew people* who could hypnotize chooks by holding their heads on the ground and drawing a line from their beaks in the dust. They would just lie there watching the line.

* Plausible deniability.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Thinking
Reactions: 16 users
Spot on Yak .... absolutely agree with you mate ... we are just gradually moving back up to where we deserve to be! Loving this journey :)
As Tech said get a major phone company then she'll go bannanas

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 8 users

Slade

Top 20
Here’s what has got me excited today (How many nodes has Renesas licensed? Looks like you can do a whole lot of good with 2):

“If every sensor had a limited, say, one or two node implementation of Akida, it would do the sufficient inference and the data that would be passed around would be cut by an order of magnitude, because it would be the inference metadata… that would have an impact on the horsepower that you need in the server in the trunk,”

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 54 users

Vanman1100

Regular
I’ve come across a few articles now referring to digital twin technology. I just don’t understand what it is though 🤔
Look at pointera 3dp ticker code
they do digital twin

F

Filobeddo

There is a chat feature on TSE. I'd encourage you to use it.

Aww.. thanks for the offer wilzy, but thats not really my thing. Surely there's someone else you can chat with there??

By the way, you might want to be a little more subtle with cross solicitation ;);)

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

Dougie54

Regular
When I was very much younger, I knew people who could hypnotize chooks by holding their heads on the ground and drawing a line from their beaks in the dust. They would just lie there watching the line.
When I was younger I used to watch my father hypnotise the chooks and then woop off with their head.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Top Bottom