Bingo This Ship is Away

Diogenese

Top 20
Literally, it means if the permit is appealed then it isn’t active/live, but it could be a translation issue.

There’s 3 weeks to lodge an appeal. I think an appeal is inevitable, however I would say there would be close to zero chance of overturning the decision.
Yes. The court gave full weight to Talga's early concession to only mine during 6 months.

• Fire
Reactions: 4 users

beserk

Regular
Still nothing.

I have spoken with my brother about reactions locally in Kiruna municipal council and higher up in the Swedish Gov.

His feeling is that the unholy local coalition between Hard left, Green, Feminists and Sami parti and the anti faction of the Soc Dem are going to appeal the decision. Then its a matter for the Swedish minority gov. The tricky issue here is that it relies on support from hard right, EU sceptic, nationalistic party, Sweden Democrats, SD abbreviated in the following.

But this party is not dogmatic but pragmatic and for instance is supporting Swedish govs ambition to join NATO.

So they will probably yield in this issue to let Gov pass legislation on minerals of national interest. SD are EU sceptic and agnostic not totally against EU. If they can get something they treasure in return in neg with Gov they will strike a deal.

So in conclusion this is how I see it pan out. The anti Talga block in local gov citing their concern for the Sami, reindeer and the enviro will appeal the court decision. Meanwhile Talma reindeer co op as an aggrieved party, being totally and fundamentally opposed to any more mines on "their " land, will take the case to the Supreme court.

Then it depends if Swedish minority gov can strike a deal with SD so they can run through new legislation that will give Talga protection as mining a nationally and EU important mineral resource.

IMO Swedish gov, soliciting support from EU if necessary, will eventually get in principle support from SD and sanity will prevail and stymie the blocking attempt by Greens, hard Left, Feminists , Sami party and the rump part of Soc Dems in Kiruna and nationally. And the Sami challenge in Supreme court will be moot since the law has changed.

The joker in this deck of cards is naturally Greta Thunberg. Will she mobilise her troops for another Sami cause? Most likely, so we will se La Greta demo in the streets maybe as early as during Blinkens visit to Luleå in May. That is the perfect strategy for the antis united.

Take my attempt to read the tea leaves with a grain of salt and I will peruse the SL&E courts decision carefully now it has been released particularly for any mention of impact on Sami and their reindeer. And as always IMHO.

Might be another round to go and some unfortunate further delay.

But I am carefully optimistic.

-beserk

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Semmel is patiently waiting for confirmation as the market did not yet react and the report came pretty early. So could be made up. I hope it's real but I also don't know what the language about "cannot be claimed" means.. also i am in the middle of a work push that lasts until tomorrow and i really have to concentrate.. which is very hard at moment 🤣
I did put the website link on my opening post

Reactions: 2 users

anbuck

Regular
Still nothing.

I have spoken with my brother about reactions locally in Kiruna municipal council and higher up in the Swedish Gov.

His feeling is that the unholy local coalition between Hard left, Green, Feminists and Sami parti and the anti faction of the Soc Dem are going to try to take it to Supreme court.Then its a matter for the Swedish minority gov. The tricky issue here is that it relies on support from hard right, EU sceptic, nationalistic party, Sweden Democrats, SD abbreviated in the following.

But this party is not dogmatic but pragmatic and for instance is supporting Swedish govs ambition to join NATO.

So they will probably yield in this issue to let Gov pass legislation on minerals of national interest. SD are EU sceptic and agnostic not totally against EU. If they can get something they treasure in return in neg with Gov they will strike a deal.

So in conclusion this is how I see it pan out. The anti Talga block in local gov citing their concern for the Sami, reindeer and the enviro will appeal the vourt decision.Meanwhile take the fight up to the Supreme court. Backed by Talma reindeer co op totally against any more mines on their land.

Then it depends if Swedish minority gov can strike a deal with SD so they can run through new legislation that will give Talga protection as mining a nationally and EU important mineral resource.

IMO Swedish gov, soliciting support from EU if necessary, will eventually get in principle support from SD and sanity will prevail and stymie the blocking attempt by Greens, hard Left, Feminists , Sami party and the rump part of Soc Dems in Kiruna and nationally. And the Sami challenge in Supreme court will be moot since the law has changed.

The joker in this deck of cards is naturally Greta Thunberg. Will she mobilise her troops for another Sami cause? Most likely so we will se La Greta demo on the streets maybe as early as during Blinkens visit to Luleå in May. That is the perfect strategy for the antis united.

Take my attempt to read the tea leaves with a grain of salt and peuse the SL&E courts decision carefully particularly for any mention of impact on Sami and their reindeer and as always IMHO.

-beserk
Why would it require a new law? It seems like the supreme court would likely rule in Talga's favor given the 6 month concession and we can proceed with building the mine in the meantime

Diogenese

Top 20
"In this case, mining will only be allowed to take place for the six months per year that the Sami communities do not stay in the area. "

Does this mean the Sami have done themselves out of job opportunities?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

scep

New laws are important to speed up follow up permits required for accelerated production. Expect the new permit requests put in by Talga soon. The one caveat I am not sure about it if they will wait till the supreme court has ruled in their favor after any appeal.
Expect a flurry of news from Talga about the full range of their integrated supply chain. The first in the queue are; off-take contracts and financing.

• Fire

Affenhorst

Regular
Still nothing.

His feeling is that the unholy local coalition between Hard left, Green, Feminists and Sami parti and the anti faction of the Soc Dem are going to appeal the decision. Then its a matter for the Swedish minority gov. The tricky issue here is that it relies on support from hard right, EU sceptic, nationalistic party, Sweden Democrats, SD abbreviated in the following.

So in conclusion this is how I see it pan out. The anti Talga block in local gov citing their concern for the Sami, reindeer and the enviro will appeal the court decision. Meanwhile Talma reindeer co op as an aggrieved party, being totally and fundamentally opposed to any more mines on "their " land, will take the case to the Supreme court.

The joker in this deck of cards is naturally Greta Thunberg. Will she mobilise her troops for another Sami cause? Most likely, so we will se La Greta demo in the streets maybe as early as during Blinkens visit to Luleå in May. That is the perfect strategy for the antis united.

Take my attempt to read the tea leaves with a grain of salt and I will peruse the SL&E courts decision carefully now it has been released particularly for any mention of impact on Sami and their reindeer. And as always IMHO.

-beserk
This is all so ridiculous. There is no harm done by this mine whatsoever and everybody just gets angry on principle because of their stupid egos.

Reactions: 7 users

cosors

👀
Congratulations to us and MT and MP and PEL and the whole Talga team now too (Ms Utsi)!
Thanks for all the good contributions here!
I lost track earlier and missed the starting signal today 😶‍🌫️
I take the announcement above as factual thank you @WheresTheMonkey
The press is getting flooded with this news. Now I need to figure out the next step.
What annoys me a bit is that the hearing for the Lulea factory is in one month. It's all getting incredibly tight. But anyway, today we're going to celebrate. I'll toast you all and have to digest this first!
Cheers to you all! 🥂🍻🍾🍹🥃🍸

I'll get the champagne right away, as announced.

• Love

Diogenese

Top 20
Congratulations to us and MT and MP and PEL and the whole Talga team now too (Ms Utsi)!
The press is getting flooded with this news. Now I need to figure out the next step.
What annoys me a bit is that the hearing for the Lulea factory is in one month. It's all getting incredibly tight. But anyway, today we're going to celebrate. I'll toast you all and have to digest this first!

Already on my second glass ...

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 6 users

Monkeymandan

Regular

Second that, and thanks to you also Cosors and other contributors.

I got into Talga in an increasingly deep way over the last 3 years, as I learnt more about Talga, this truly unique freak of a graphite resource, and MT and his ambitions. His vision is quite extraordinary, and combined with these other factors, I now have no doubts the results over the coming years will be ‘scarily good’.

The sharing of research and rational debate on this forum, not clouded by the noise of trolling or down-ramping fuelled by ulterior motives, has helped me scrutinise and check the water tightness of my investment strategy.

Have a wonderful Easter!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

DAH

Regular
Second that, and thanks to you also Cosors and other contributors.

I got into Talga in an increasingly deep way over the last 3 years, as I learnt more about Talga, this truly unique freak of a graphite resource, and MT and his ambitions. His vision is quite extraordinary, and combined with these other factors, I now have no doubts the results over the coming years will be ‘scarily good’.

The sharing of research and rational debate on this forum, not clouded by the noise of trolling or down-ramping fuelled by ulterior motives, has helped me scrutinise and check the water tightness of my investment strategy.

Have a wonderful Easter!
Well said @Monkeymandan

Congrats to all holders!

I've followed MT for over 10 years now and no doubt this will be very special for him and well deserved. He's a class act!

1st horseman out of the way and what we hope is the ticket to propel Talga to becoming the best and greenest anode producer on the planet.

Cheers 🍻

• Love
  • Fire

beserk

Regular

Just a word of caution. The anti mining local political parties are sure to appeal. And cruically the courts decision is NOT ... sounding like 45th POTUS again...to give a green light for mining while appeals process is proceeding. Not sure if this also applies in the likely Supreme court challenge by Talma lawyers on beck and call but assume so.

Anyhow this probably means no mining before all the legal and appeals processes have come to a conclusion. One interesting side note is that the court acknowledges that it has taken an inordinate time, three years, to reach its decision. Apparently this has to do with transnational issues since Torne river further down stream constitutes the border to Finland. To translate everything to Finnish and sending the docs back and forward from one jurisdiction to the other slowed down the process considerably.

Hopefully the Finns have had their say and are satisfied from now on.

All for now

-beserk

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

beserk

Regular
And I am amusing myself, in paralell fashion following the lead up to the US election 2024. Boy have they got a shit storm brewing in the US of A..

Interesting.

-beserk

• Love
  • Haha

beserk

Regular
Can someone advise what the sentence ‘The court does not allow the permit to be claimed even if it is appealed’ means ?

It’s not a technical term so I was hoping someone who speaks Swedish can better translate it or interpret it ?
I'm native Swedish speaker and you are right to query this sentence. The way I understand it the Court ruled that it is in principle satisfied but it will NOT give an unqualified start of mining but asks that process of appeal has to come to a conclusion before mining can take place. This is a variance to usual practice when mining can start and appeals process can run in paralell. Sorry to have to rain on our victory parade.

-beserk

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀
Semmel is patiently waiting for confirmation as the market did not yet react and the report came pretty early. So could be made up. I hope it's real but I also don't know what the language about "cannot be claimed" means.. also i am in the middle of a work push that lasts until tomorrow and i really have to concentrate.. which is very hard at moment 🤣
Look in the permits thread. Follow the green letters.

cosors

👀
I'm native Swedish speaker and you are right to query this sentence. The way I understand it the Court ruled that it is in principle satisfied but it will NOT give an unqualified start of mining but asks that process of appeal has to come to a conclusion before mining can take place. This is a variance to usual practice when mining can start and appeals process can run in paralell. Sorry to have to rain on our victory parade.

-beserk
Thank you for the clarification.
It would only start with the mining concession anyway. That is the next step. The clause with the appeal is probably to appease.

beserk

Regular
Yes I understand it that way to.

It is comforting to see that the court accepted and ruled in favour of a 6 monthly mining campaign during the summer months as proposed by Talga. During this time the reindeer are away on their annual holiday trip to the west closer to the Norwegian border.

This follows the legal precedence set by the establishment of the cultivation border in 1850. This border lies 10 km upstream of Vittangi village just past Nunasvaara. Talgas legal advisers were spot on in this issue. And crucially it robs the Talma lawyers of oxygen to fan their fire.

-beserk

• Love

cosors

👀
"In this case, mining will only be allowed to take place for the six months per year that the Sami communities do not stay in the area. "

Does this mean the Sami have done themselves out of job opportunities?
The area is used as winter pasture. In summer, when we are allowed to mine they are further west, apart from the fact that we are east of the border anyway. But the court has now taken that into account.

• Fire

cosors

👀
Just a word of caution. The anti mining local political parties are sure to appeal. And crucically the courts decision is NOT ... sounding like 45th POTUS again...to give a green light for mining while appeals process is proceeding. Not sure if this also applies in the likely Supreme court challenge by Talma lawyers on beck and call but assume so.

Anyhow this probably means no mining before all the legal and appeals processes have come to a conclusion. One interesting side note is that the court acknowledges that it has taken an inordinate time, three years, to reach its decision. Apparently this has to do with transnational issues since Torne river further down stream constitutes the border to Finland. To translate everything to Finnish and sending the docs back and forward from one jurisdiction to the other slowed down the process considerably.

Hopefully the Finns have had their say and are satisfied from now on.

All for now

-beserk
The Finns have given the opponents' argument and challenged the procedure because it does not include future extensions. They also criticised the chemical analysis intensively. Like all opponents they are definitely not satisfied. All the fish in the Torne will die from now on. ☢️☣️

At the same time, the Finns are happy about any mining company that moves its ambitions from Sweden to Finland. They seem to be a bit more liberal.

How good that there are still thinking people who are not driven purely by fear. I have followed the process with the Finns. It was a very interesting and rare insight. Without this cross-border process I would not have had an insight into some of the documents. So it was open to see who was really looking. I am less concerned about the appeal than about the delay. But we have already reckoned with that.
So, the sun is shining and I'm going out to get some champagne.

• Love

cosors

👀
I don't think they're necessarily all on it as quick as we are. May well even only be following actual company announcements
I just took advantage of it and added some more and let some people know. Nevertheless, the trade is already many times higher than before. I will post the exact numbers here in the evening. There are still many hours until the close of trading.

• Fire
Top Bottom