Bingo This Ship is Away

Talga AB receives permission for a graphite mine at Nunasvaara in Kiruna municipality​

Published 2023-04-05 byUmeå district courtandThe Land and Environmental Court at Umeå district court
Target: M 1573-20
The Land and Environmental Court grants Talga AB permission for mining operations at Nunasvaara Södra, extensive open pit mining of 120,000 tons of graphite ore annually. The court does not allow the permit to be claimed even if it is appealed.
Sami villages, organizations, individuals and Finnish parties have considered that there are general shortcomings in the application. They have objected that it is not possible to make an overall assessment of the environmental consequences of the operation because the company has not simultaneously applied for permission for its other projects next to Nunasvaara Södra.
- The application applies to all activities that the company intends to conduct at Nunasvaara Södra and is not dependent on other projects or environmental permits. The court also does not think that there are any flaws in the evidence. It has therefore been possible for the court to carry out a complete assessment of all environmental effects, explains the court's chairman, councilor Anna Svedjevik.

The substantive examination before the court has included the location of the business and its impact on, among other things, human health, reindeer husbandry, water environments, species and Natura 2000 areas. The court has concluded that permits and species protection exemptions can be issued. Two important issues in the case have been the activity's impact on reindeer husbandry and the impact through emissions to water.

- That the water can be purified means that mining operations can be conducted without unacceptable risks for land and water environments. The terms of the judgment have been determined to guarantee this, says Per Lagervall, as a technically knowledgeable judge in the case.
- A mine always involves an intervention in the natural environment and an impact on reindeer husbandry. In this case, mining will only be allowed to take place the six months a year that the Sami villages are not in the area. The court has therefore concluded that mining operations and reindeer herding can coexist on the site, says Lena Nilsson, also a technically knowledgeable judge in the case.

Talga's application for permission was submitted to the court at the end of May 2020. The processing time from the time the application was received until the court announced its verdict has amounted to almost three years.
- The goal has been a little unusual because the application has also been made available to the public in Finland. Material has also been translated into Finnish. It has affected the court's processing time, explains Anna Svedjevik, councillor.

Fact box
The Land and Environment Court has granted Talga AB the requested permit to extract graphite in part of the national interest Nunasvaara, which is located approximately 10 km west of Vittangi and approximately 50 km east of Kiruna. The permit includes an annual mining of 120,000 tons of graphite ore in open pits and, among other things, to build and operate the facilities needed for the business.
Talga AB has also received a so-called Natura 2000 permit regarding the impact on the protected area Kalix and Torne river system. Dispensation from the species protection regulation for three larch species that may be affected in the area has also been granted. The permission has been combined with a total of 24 final conditions and one provisional condition. The conditions include necessary precautions and protective measures, e.g. regarding noise, blasting, reindeer husbandry, construction and finishing as well as compensation measures for loss of natural values. The determination of final conditions for releases to water of certain substances and emissions to air of dust has been postponed for a trial period.

The Land and Environment Court's partial judgment can be appealed within three weeks to the Land and Environment Court at the Svea Court of Appeal.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

JNRB

Regular
Whoop whoop!
Jump on to check literally 1 minute after you posted this!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

TentCity

Regular
1680679442298.png

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Vigdorian

Regular
Can someone advise what the sentence ‘The court does not allow the permit to be claimed even if it is appealed’ means ?

It’s not a technical term so I was hoping someone who speaks Swedish can better translate it or interpret it ?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

TentCity

Regular
Brilliant news - love the Swedish punctuality so we don't have to stay up past midnight!!

Where's Semmel and what drinks are we having tonight?!!

Beserk - you can go to choir practice afterall haha

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

cronk

Incredibly relieving news 🥲 I think the bar is going to be very active tonight :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Fire
  • Love

brewm0re

Regular
Whoop whoop!
Jump on to check literally 1 minute after you posted this!
Yeah likewise, so much AI and artificial stuff, including scams. Once ANN drops, and/or MT unloads giant breadcrumbs, it'll be official

Reactions: 1 users
Incredibly relieving news 🥲 I think the bar is going to be very active tonight :ROFLMAO:
Yeah ...............slight alcohol poisoning is only temporary after all

• Haha
  • Love

ACinEur

Regular
F&#k Yeah… That was a game of holding my nerves…I think I’ll be having more than a few on the flight…Great news, well done everyone and thanks for all the amazing research and being such a positive forum…lots more to come 👍

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

anbuck

Regular
Can someone advise what the sentence ‘The court does not allow the permit to be claimed even if it is appealed’ means ?

It’s not a technical term so I was hoping someone who speaks Swedish can better translate it or interpret it ?
I think it's a translation issue. I read it as that Talga can proceed with the permit even while an appeal is pending.

Reactions: 7 users

Affenhorst

Regular
Funny how the stock price in Germany isn't reacting yet. Would be such an easy trade if liquidity wasn't so shit. I guess it'll take an offician ASX announcement and trading in Australia to give us some moves.

• Thinking

JNRB

Regular
Funny how the stock price in Germany isn't reacting yet. Would be such an easy trade if liquidity wasn't so shit. I guess it'll take an offician ASX announcement and trading in Australia to give us some moves.
I don't think they're necessarily all on it as quick as we are. May well even only be following actual company announcements

anbuck

Regular
I'd still like to see official confirmation. Beserk, you didn't get an email yet?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Monkeymandan

Regular

Literally, it means if the permit is appealed then it isn’t active/live, but it could be a translation issue.

There’s 3 weeks to lodge an appeal. I think an appeal is inevitable, however I would say there would be close to zero chance of overturning the decision.

• Fire
Literally, it means if the permit is appealed then it isn’t active/live, but it could be a translation issue.

There’s 3 weeks to lodge an appeal. I think an appeal is inevitable, however I would say there would be close to zero chance of overturning the decision.
I think it means lodging an Appeal will not stop Mining operations and I think MT has said that somewhere too

• Fire

Semmel

Regular
Brilliant news - love the Swedish punctuality so we don't have to stay up past midnight!!

Where's Semmel and what drinks are we having tonight?!!

Beserk - you can go to choir practice afterall haha

Semmel is patiently waiting for confirmation as the market did not yet react and the report came pretty early. So could be made up. I hope it's real but I also don't know what the language about "cannot be claimed" means.. also i am in the middle of a work push that lasts until tomorrow and i really have to concentrate.. which is very hard at moment 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

JoMo68

Regular

Talga AB receives permission for a graphite mine at Nunasvaara in Kiruna municipality​

Published 2023-04-05 byUmeå district courtandThe Land and Environmental Court at Umeå district court
Target: M 1573-20
The Land and Environmental Court grants Talga AB permission for mining operations at Nunasvaara Södra, extensive open pit mining of 120,000 tons of graphite ore annually. The court does not allow the permit to be claimed even if it is appealed.
Sami villages, organizations, individuals and Finnish parties have considered that there are general shortcomings in the application. They have objected that it is not possible to make an overall assessment of the environmental consequences of the operation because the company has not simultaneously applied for permission for its other projects next to Nunasvaara Södra.
- The application applies to all activities that the company intends to conduct at Nunasvaara Södra and is not dependent on other projects or environmental permits. The court also does not think that there are any flaws in the evidence. It has therefore been possible for the court to carry out a complete assessment of all environmental effects, explains the court's chairman, councilor Anna Svedjevik.

The substantive examination before the court has included the location of the business and its impact on, among other things, human health, reindeer husbandry, water environments, species and Natura 2000 areas. The court has concluded that permits and species protection exemptions can be issued. Two important issues in the case have been the activity's impact on reindeer husbandry and the impact through emissions to water.

- That the water can be purified means that mining operations can be conducted without unacceptable risks for land and water environments. The terms of the judgment have been determined to guarantee this, says Per Lagervall, as a technically knowledgeable judge in the case.
- A mine always involves an intervention in the natural environment and an impact on reindeer husbandry. In this case, mining will only be allowed to take place the six months a year that the Sami villages are not in the area. The court has therefore concluded that mining operations and reindeer herding can coexist on the site, says Lena Nilsson, also a technically knowledgeable judge in the case.

Talga's application for permission was submitted to the court at the end of May 2020. The processing time from the time the application was received until the court announced its verdict has amounted to almost three years.
- The goal has been a little unusual because the application has also been made available to the public in Finland. Material has also been translated into Finnish. It has affected the court's processing time, explains Anna Svedjevik, councillor.

Fact box
The Land and Environment Court has granted Talga AB the requested permit to extract graphite in part of the national interest Nunasvaara, which is located approximately 10 km west of Vittangi and approximately 50 km east of Kiruna. The permit includes an annual mining of 120,000 tons of graphite ore in open pits and, among other things, to build and operate the facilities needed for the business.
Talga AB has also received a so-called Natura 2000 permit regarding the impact on the protected area Kalix and Torne river system. Dispensation from the species protection regulation for three larch species that may be affected in the area has also been granted. The permission has been combined with a total of 24 final conditions and one provisional condition. The conditions include necessary precautions and protective measures, e.g. regarding noise, blasting, reindeer husbandry, construction and finishing as well as compensation measures for loss of natural values. The determination of final conditions for releases to water of certain substances and emissions to air of dust has been postponed for a trial period.

The Land and Environment Court's partial judgment can be appealed within three weeks to the Land and Environment Court at the Svea Court of Appeal.
Woo hooo!!!

• Love

beserk

Regular
  • Thinking
Reactions: 1 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Congratulations to Mark and the Talga team!

• Love

Amur27

Emerged
Thank you to all the fantastic contributors on this site and all the best to everyone. Thanks also to everyone who has 'hung in there' for many years and always held faith.

• Love
Top Bottom