Hemicuda

Regular
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Winenut

Go AVZ!
movie quote boys,,,, cmon
TBL!

Well the Dow has turned a bit green, I'm going to go and indulge in some green and hopefully tomorrow is a greeen day!

That's a beautiful cup of green tea too bye the way....not what you were thinkin' ;)

• Haha
  • Thinking
Reactions: 5 users

Uglybob

Regular
Damn you whoever posted that link to the landcruiser trip in Congo.
Currently 28 pages deep, a paragraph I thought was interesting….

The road is Chinese made. You can recognize the chinese from a distance by the big straw hats they wear. Everywhere in Congo people, especially kids, would shout "Chinois" (Chinese in French) to us. For many Congolese everybody who is not black is "Chinois". That is due to the large community of Chinese living in Congo.

The relationship between China and Congo is worrying to say the least. I will not bore you to death with the details, but if you are interested, do a google search on the deals regarding the mining concessions and you will find plenty to read.
In short: China has lend Congo many billions for rebuilding their infrastructure. Almost all infrastructure works are then outsourced to.. Chinese companies. The chinese companies bring their own - underpaid - workforce and provide little to no employment to the local population. In return for the loan China gets huge mining concessions. Astronomical 'signature fees' were appointed to the officials who signed the contracts ofcourse. The whole deal is immensly beneficial for the Chinese, but the question is what is in it for the Congolese?
And what happens when the 5 billion is spent? They'll have a few nice roads and bridges. But what about maintenance of this infrastructure?”

We know something of this kinda shit hey 🤔
I'm re-reading it as it's been a long time since I first came across it. I'm only 10 pages in, but it certainly paints a picture as to what they are up against. Not a lot would have changed in 12 years.

• Thinking
Reactions: 4 users

Retrobyte

Hates a beer
in australia, do you all drink all day long?

Not me. This week I'm on endone instead

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

LOCKY82

Regular
Has anyone else's Twitter feed turned into absolute doom and despair? GBP taking a hit and a lot of the end is near talk from some 💀
Might be some bargains to be had at least. You wouldn't know who to believe. Be just our luck come out of suspension and the world economy collapses 🥴😆

• Thinking

Retrobyte

Hates a beer
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users

JAG

Top 20
1664404851050.png

Reactions: 15 users

JAG

Top 20
1664404902613.png

• Wow
  • Thinking
Reactions: 19 users

JAG

Top 20
1664404936237.png

Reactions: 11 users

JAG

Top 20
1664405158137.png

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 29 users

TheCount

Regular
Lets do a " What You Going To Buy With Your AVZ Money " segment .

Well first up I'm going to buy a pet Elephant .
Donate $$$ to a few charities and then reinvest everything else into IXR.

TC.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 18 users

TheCount

Regular
Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users

cruiser51

Top 20
Lets do a " What You Going To Buy With Your AVZ Money " segment .

Well first up I'm going to buy a pet Elephant .
They eat more than a bloody cow, ever seen the amount of shit they produce??
Too messy in the living room when they drink a cup of tea.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
How can I get a permit for an African warthog in Oz?

• Haha

Charbella

Regular

Attachments

• 5B85E9D8-2957-4B51-A6FA-1E6636AE5929.png
    5B85E9D8-2957-4B51-A6FA-1E6636AE5929.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 141
  • Thinking
Reactions: 6 users

cruiser51

Top 20
  • Wow
  • Thinking
Reactions: 9 users

LOCKY82

Regular
  • Thinking
Reactions: 5 users

Samus

Top 20
  • Thinking
Reactions: 2 users

Bray

Regular
I'm re-reading it as it's been a long time since I first came across it. I'm only 10 pages in, but it certainly paints a picture as to what they are up against. Not a lot would have changed in 12 years.
Really shows how bad it is, almost every person open to corruption, thus far it seems only the ‘brothers’ (priests) are the ones not asking for bribes

Interesting to see how bad their roadways are also, the main country travel through roads were very bad condition, very few tar or cemented roads and huge erosion issues.
Those that were tar were primarily old mining roads.

If everyone has the time it’s worth reading through you can see the kinda conditions they will be dealing with if they are to build proper roads for AVZ

Top Bottom