AVZ Discussion 2022

KLCC

Little video summarising the issues in DRC elections from the slightly more trustworthy Al-jazeera.....
https://www.aljazeera.com/program/newsfeed/2023/12/19/whats-at-stake-in-the-drc-election
I was sitting here this morning getting my Christmas Day grocery shopping list in order, having a mini-stress at how much there is to do.
Then I watched that Aljazeera clip of how those poor people are living. In absolute poverty and fear.

Suddenly my list-making task was making me feel extremely grateful that I am in a position to buy food and be with loved ones this Christmas.
It's so sad the DRC has some much to gain from not being corrupt. How can those individuals look at those faces knowing they are part of it.
Baffles me. Totally un-human.

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope you have a safe and merry one.

• Love
Reactions: 38 users

Rediah

Regular

Some more exposure on linkedIn

d110355e-a238-4976-9a71-18c81debf209.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 30 users
Surely conflict of interest given familiarity with our plight - not sure they could do both being representing us then providing lit funding (with interest rates commensurate to risk etc)
No that's not true. Many law firms offer "no win, no pay" gaurentees, as they only take on cases with high probability outcomes. But maybe in this case, idk, just some lawyer friends think it's a bit weird that they aren't is all

Reactions: 1 users

JasonM

Regular
The video article is a very realistic view of what is a depressing situation in the DRC.

Whats even more distressing / depressing is the " breaking news " statement that Israel has killed 19k+ people in Gaza since October 7....:mad::cry:

I feel very sorry for the DRC locals in their ongoing predicament of poverty / deprivation and appalled with innocent lives lost of palestine / Israel locals caught in the cross fire of evil, corrupt hamas / Israel govt who have utterly destroyed Gaza in their quest for power and revenge.......disgusting!

The common denominators in these human catastrophes........two governments (DRC/ Israel ) who dont give a shit about the welfare of their people, only interested in corruption, greed and power for personal benefit.

My strong hope is both current governments get over turned and elected parties brought in who can change the narrative and prioritize a better future for their people.

Thank god i live in Australia.

imo
I think the Israel Palestine situation is complex and blaming it on Israel is very simplistic and simply wrong. no easy solution but change of Israel government is not going to change the situation, perhaps the palestine people getting rid of their elected hamas goverment and hamas returning the hostages might be a good first step though. Many in the west consider hamas as outliers, I dont think they are, you can just see that by the widespread Palestine celebrations on oct 7th. Unfortunately Palestine are wining the PR battle.

Plenty to argue about but this is the avz forum, so I'll leave it at that and wont comment further.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Polls are open in Kinshasa woot

DR Congo polls open as insecurity fears persist

Some 44 million people have the chance on Wednesday to pick the next president of the Democratic Republic of Congo from a field of 19 candidates.

On the face of it, the numbers suggest a thriving democracy.

But insecurity in parts of the country, coupled with logistical challenges, tell another story.

DR Congo sits on vast reserves of cobalt, currently a vital part of many lithium batteries, seen as essential to a future free of fossil fuels.

The success of this election could go some way towards enhancing stability in the country and ensure that the metal is extracted in a safe way that benefits the Congolese people.

President Félix Tshisekedi is asking the electorate to give him a second term. But among those who want to get in his way are wealthy mining magnate Moïse Katumbi and former oil executive Martin Fayulu, who believes that he himself won the last election in 2018, the result of which was questioned by several international observers.

But the peaceful transfer of power, the first in the country's history, following that poll became a source of optimism that the country had turned a corner.

As before, in this election there is only one round of voting and the winner will be the candidate with the most votes. The large number of challengers to Mr Tshisekedi could work to his advantage, as it may divide opposition support.

Voters are also choosing parliamentary, provincial and municipal representatives - with about 100,000 candidates in total - in this huge country, which stretches some 2,000km (1,400 miles) west to east.

In order to help get voting materials to the more than 175,000 polling booths, the electoral commission has enlisted the help of UN peacekeepers.

In the east, insecurity has dominated the run-up to the polls.

Dozens of armed groups have been competing to control parts of the region.

Voting suspended

The presence of a UN peacekeeping force, an East African regional force and Congolese soldiers has not quelled the violence, which has resulted in millions being forced form their homes. Many of those have not been able to register to vote, in what some criticised as a chaotic registration process.

There are some places where voting will not be able to take place at all because of rebel activity.

The perennial insecurity in the eastern provinces of Ituri, Nord Kivu and Sud Kivu has been a major campaign issue, with presidential candidates making lofty promises to end it.

Political violence in the run-up to the polls has also been a source of concern.

On the eve of the vote, the European Union said it was worried about "the hate speech, violence and incidents that have marked the last few days". There have been some deadly incidents, causing Mr Katumbi to briefly suspend his campaign.

Polls opened at 06:00 local time (04:00 GMT in Goma; 05:00 GMT in Kinshasa) and voting is due to continue for 11 hours. The electoral commission is expected to announce provisional results on 31 December.

Reactions: 2 users
The video article is a very realistic view of what is a depressing situation in the DRC.

Whats even more distressing / depressing is the " breaking news " statement that Israel has killed 19k+ people in Gaza since October 7....:mad::cry:

I feel very sorry for the DRC locals in their ongoing predicament of poverty / deprivation and appalled with innocent lives lost of palestine / Israel locals caught in the cross fire of evil, corrupt hamas / Israel govt who have utterly destroyed Gaza in their quest for power and revenge.......disgusting!

The common denominators in these human catastrophes........two governments (DRC/ Israel ) who dont give a shit about the welfare of their people, only interested in corruption, greed and power for personal benefit.

My strong hope is both current governments get over turned and elected parties brought in who can change the narrative and prioritize a better future for their people.

Thank god i live in Australia.

imo
I think the Israel Palestine situation is complex and blaming it on Israel is very simplistic and simply wrong. no easy solution but change of Israel government is not going to change the situation, perhaps the palestine people getting rid of their elected hamas goverment and hamas returning the hostages might be a good first step though. Many in the west consider hamas as outliers, I dont think they are, you can just see that by the widespread Palestine celebrations on oct 7th. Unfortunately Palestine are wining the PR battle.

Plenty to argue about but this is the avz forum, so I'll leave it at that and wont comment further.
IMG_20230105_140444.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users

Dave Evans

Regular
Polls are open in Kinshasa woot

DR Congo polls open as insecurity fears persist

Some 44 million people have the chance on Wednesday to pick the next president of the Democratic Republic of Congo from a field of 19 candidates.

On the face of it, the numbers suggest a thriving democracy.

But insecurity in parts of the country, coupled with logistical challenges, tell another story.

DR Congo sits on vast reserves of cobalt, currently a vital part of many lithium batteries, seen as essential to a future free of fossil fuels.

The success of this election could go some way towards enhancing stability in the country and ensure that the metal is extracted in a safe way that benefits the Congolese people.

President Félix Tshisekedi is asking the electorate to give him a second term. But among those who want to get in his way are wealthy mining magnate Moïse Katumbi and former oil executive Martin Fayulu, who believes that he himself won the last election in 2018, the result of which was questioned by several international observers.

But the peaceful transfer of power, the first in the country's history, following that poll became a source of optimism that the country had turned a corner.

As before, in this election there is only one round of voting and the winner will be the candidate with the most votes. The large number of challengers to Mr Tshisekedi could work to his advantage, as it may divide opposition support.

Voters are also choosing parliamentary, provincial and municipal representatives - with about 100,000 candidates in total - in this huge country, which stretches some 2,000km (1,400 miles) west to east.

In order to help get voting materials to the more than 175,000 polling booths, the electoral commission has enlisted the help of UN peacekeepers.

In the east, insecurity has dominated the run-up to the polls.

Dozens of armed groups have been competing to control parts of the region.

Voting suspended

The presence of a UN peacekeeping force, an East African regional force and Congolese soldiers has not quelled the violence, which has resulted in millions being forced form their homes. Many of those have not been able to register to vote, in what some criticised as a chaotic registration process.

There are some places where voting will not be able to take place at all because of rebel activity.

The perennial insecurity in the eastern provinces of Ituri, Nord Kivu and Sud Kivu has been a major campaign issue, with presidential candidates making lofty promises to end it.

Political violence in the run-up to the polls has also been a source of concern.

On the eve of the vote, the European Union said it was worried about "the hate speech, violence and incidents that have marked the last few days". There have been some deadly incidents, causing Mr Katumbi to briefly suspend his campaign.

Polls opened at 06:00 local time (04:00 GMT in Goma; 05:00 GMT in Kinshasa) and voting is due to continue for 11 hours. The electoral commission is expected to announce provisional results on 31 December.

But among those who want to get in his way are wealthy mining magnate Moïse Katumbi and former oil executive Martin Fayulu”

Damn sure I wouldn’t be trusting these two candidates Carlos

• Thinking
  • Fire
Reactions: 6 users

Pokok

Regular
Hi Pokok, unfortunately I can’t answer that question but what I will say is this.

Have faith in our BoD 👍

A lot of holders are in a similar situation like myself.

Let our BoD do what’s necessary for us all.

JAG
Ps fuck MMGA
Thanks mate , sorry was away camping in Central Java with the wife and youngest daughter and survived :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

obe wan

Regular
No that's not true. Many law firms offer "no win, no pay" gaurentees, as they only take on cases with high probability outcomes. But maybe in this case, idk, just some lawyer friends think it's a bit weird that they aren't is all
No win no fee generally related to personal injury or other small claims where the firm has some layer on it for a few hours a week ; you’d be hard to find the same for $20m funding arrangement

DLA providing AVZ legal funding is conflict of interest , as many would argue that there’s potential for the provider of the funds who is also providing the legal charge could resort to desperate measures if the cash they fronted was looking like it could go down the sink.

Reactions: 18 users

pow4ade

Regular
Was mildly surprised to see in the recent UN emergency resolution calling for a ceasefire, which was largely supported, the DRC abstained. Wonder if Dan had a word to Felix.

Winenut

Go AVZ!
After what seems to be another massively humiliating defeat for Fat Slob Holdings (this time in the WA courts) what will their next scintillating move be to completely humiliate themselves and absolutely destroy each individuals reputation and professional career???

Anyone???

Anyone??????.....

Bueller?...................

• Haha
Reactions: 25 users

BRICK

Regular
After what seems to be another massively humiliating defeat for Fat Slob Holdings (this time in the WA courts) what will their next scintillating move be to completely humiliate themselves and absolutely destroy each individuals reputation and professional career???

Anyone???

Anyone??????.....

Bueller?...................
I heard they are opening a bakery...

And selling a bit of humble pie

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users

Xerof

Biding my Time 1971
Just one example of the good organisation surrounding DRC elections, seems to be going well so far:eek::rolleyes:

https://x.com/rkitsita/status/1737524018440544506?s=20

At the voting center Located in Bimwala in the commune of Kinshasa, no one has voted since the morning. Tension escalates . Very angry voters

• Thinking
Reactions: 7 users

tonster66

Regular
  • Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 12 users

Elmitso

So am I correct in saying that the next piece of news we are likely to hear (other than the Fat Tail court case) is relating to the virtual hearing on the 11th at the ICISD, and relates to all work in the North by companies other than Dathcom halting?

Verdict before Christmas if I recall correctly @9cardomaha?

• Thinking
Reactions: 8 users

Remark

Top 20
The election sounds like a complete shit fight but no surprise in the DRC I guess?

"This Bunia polling station was attacked by people angry that they couldn't vote...."

1703117107535.png

"According to the Symocel observer group, nearly 60% of polling stations opened late, while 30% of voter material was defective.

Election chief Denis Kadima said the election would be extended into Thursday in those areas where voting did not happen on Wednesday.

He also confirmed that there were at least 3,244 attempts at hacking the institution's computer systems.
In the north-eastern town of Bunia, people who had previously fled the violence and couldn't travel back to their home villages to vote expressed their anger by attacking a polling station and destroying voting machines before police restored order."

Chinese based hackers more than likely:unsure:

• Sad
Reactions: 15 users

cruiser51

Top 20
The election sounds like a complete shit fight but no surprise in the DRC I guess?

"This Bunia polling station was attacked by people angry that they couldn't vote...."

View attachment 52440

"According to the Symocel observer group, nearly 60% of polling stations opened late, while 30% of voter material was defective.

Election chief Denis Kadima said the election would be extended into Thursday in those areas where voting did not happen on Wednesday.

He also confirmed that there were at least 3,244 attempts at hacking the institution's computer systems.
In the north-eastern town of Bunia, people who had previously fled the violence and couldn't travel back to their home villages to vote expressed their anger by attacking a polling station and destroying voting machines before police restored order."

Chinese based hackers more than likely:unsure:
But the election is on... :ROFLMAO:
All they need now is a result and they can say: see, it is all above board!
They did send those bloody observers home, the twits wanted to use their own phones.
Can't have that! :oops::oops::oops:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Top Bottom