Zijin Mining

1693449295409.png

12/09/2023

NEWSECONOMY

Amnesty International report on battery minerals and human rights violated in the DRC by foreign multinationals and authorities​

September 12, 2023
Kiki Kienge

A message was sent to the President of the Republic, Félix-Antoine Tshisekedi by Amnesty International asking him to put an end to forced evictions and other human rights abuses committed in copper and cobalt mines.

1694559402425.png

This is a report presented this September 12 which is based on the extractions of cobalt and copper in Grand Katanga and precisely in the province of Lualaba, minerals which are used in the manufacture of electric batteries, particularly for vehicles and other products. for renewable energies, a global challenge for the survival of our planet.

A report co-written by Candy Ofime and Jean-Mobert Menga , all Amnesty International researchers and collaborators, who said:

“We found multiple violations of legal protections provided by both international human rights standards and domestic law, as well as blatant disregard for the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights. »

THE REPORT :
Several facts going against human rights were noted by the two OMG international researchers in Greater Katanga, especially:

Demolished housing ;
In the Cité Gécamines district of Kolwezi in the Lualaba province where more than 39,000 people live, Compagnie Minière de Musonoie Global SAS (COMMUS) , a joint venture between the Chinese group Zijin Mining Group Ltd and Générale des Carrières et des Mines SA ( Gécamines ), state mining company of the DRC.

291892.webp

House that was demolished to expand a mineral mine in Kolwezi

Hundreds of residents have received orders from the authorities of the Lualaba province to leave their homes and many have already left since the resumption of mining activities without being consulted and the plans to expand the ZIJIN mine. have not been made public, many houses have already been destroyed to make way for mining activities.

Some compensation has been granted by COMMUS to a few people, but this does not allow those compensated to buy housing equivalent to that which they have just lost.

“We did not ask to be relocated, it was the company and the government who came to tell us that there are minerals here,” Edmond Musans , 62 years old.

“I had a big house, with electricity, water... Now, I have a small house, that's all I was able to buy with the compensation received [...], we have to consume the water from the boreholes […] We have almost no electricity. » declared a former resident evicted from the Gécamines city.

Cécile Isaka , another former resident, said explosions for the mine expansion created such large cracks in her house that she feared it would collapse. With no other solution, she accepted the compensation offer and demolished her damaged house in 2022 so that she could reuse the bricks to rebuild another one elsewhere.

Houses burned and residents injured ;
The Mutoshi site, operated by the Chemical of Africa SA (Chemaf) group, a subsidiary of Chemaf Resources Ltd, headquartered in Dubai, soldiers are said to have burned an entire informal settlement in Kolwezi, named Mukumbi.

“After Chemaf obtained the lease for the concession in 2015, three people claiming to be representatives of the company visited me with two police officers to inform me that it was time for the residents of Mukumbi to clear the site which is our village, these Chemaf representatives came to see me four times. » Ernest Miji , chief of Mukumbi, a village which was made up of around 400 structures, including a school, a health facility and a church, which were destroyed on November 7, 2016 for the construction of the Chemaf mine.

“The Chemaf representative told us that now we should leave the village, we asked him where would we go if this is our village where we raise our children, we cultivate and educate our children. We had nothing to survive, we spent nights and nights in the bush. Soldiers from the Republican Guard, an elite military unit led by the Presidency of the Republic, arrived one morning and began burning homes and beating villagers who tried to stop them. We couldn't recover anything, we had nothing to survive, we spent nights and nights in the bush. »Kanini Maska, another former resident aged 57.

A little girl, who was two years old at the time and who we have chosen not to name, was badly burned and left with irreversible scars. Her uncle said the mattress she was lying on caught fire.

IMG_4403-blurred-edited-6-768x1024.jpg

Little girl burned and injured during the destruction of the village of Mukumbi
After several protests, Chemaf agreed in 2019 to pay US$1.5 million through local authorities, but some people only received US$300. Chemaf denies any fault, responsibility or involvement in the destruction of Mukumbi and claims not to have ordered the military to destroy it.
As during the genocide in Germany, red crosses were marked on the fences of houses whose inhabitants were to be evicted and their houses demolished.

Destruction of crops and sexual assaults, stop forced evictions ;
The Kazakh group, Eurasian Resources group SARL (ERG), with its Metalkol Roan Tailings Reclamation (Metalkol RTR) project, was not spared from the report of this investigation into cobalt and copper from Grand Katanga.

Near Kolwezi, a subsidiary of Eurasian Resources Group SARL (ERG), headquartered in Luxembourg and whose majority shareholder is the State of Kazakhstan, manages the Metalkol Roan Tailings Reclamation (Metalkol RTR) project.

In February 2020, twenty-one farmers whose crops were located around the concession near the village of Tshamundenda, without being consulted by the authorities and without any notice, soldiers of the Republican Guard with dogs, occupied their fields by force and on the other side bulldozers were razing their crops.

Kabibi , the alias of a farmer from Tshamunenda, told investigators:
“To date, I have no job or other sources of income. I go from house to house to find food for my children. As I tried to harvest my crops before they were destroyed, three soldiers grabbed me before raping me, while others watched the scene. I remained pregnant after this rape, I gave birth later without complications, fortunately despite the lack of medical care. I am a widow, I cannot afford to enroll my children in school…”

The ERG group declared that it did not control nor had it requested the authorities to deploy soldiers. The company said the Congolese government believes the farmers' collective had been compensated by a former mine operator, something the farmers deny.

Stop forced evictions ;
“The international mining companies involved have ample means to make the changes needed to protect human rights, put in place procedures that improve the lives of people in the region, and provide reparations for the harm caused. » Donat Kambola,coordinator of the IBGDH, said.
“The Democratic Republic of Congo can play a central role in the energy transition to abandon fossil fuels, but human rights must not be trampled in the race to extract minerals to decarbonize the global economy. » Agnès Callamard, Secretary General of Amnesty International, said.
Amnesty International's report urges Congolese authorities to immediately end forced evictions, create an impartial commission of inquiry, and strengthen and enforce national laws relating to mining activities and evictions in line with international human rights standards. .

Authorities actively participated in or facilitated forced evictions and failed in their obligation to protect human rights, including those under the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and the Guiding Principles on Business and human rights. The military should never be involved in evictions.

Companies' claims that they adhere to strict ethical standards ring hollow. They have a responsibility to investigate identified human rights abuses, provide meaningful reparations and take necessary steps to prevent future harm.

All companies must ensure that their operations do not harm populations on the front lines of mining activity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
28/09/2023

Dave Evans
@DaveEva12049801

China’s Zijin mine polluting Serbian village

asiafinancial.com
China’s Zijin Mining Polluting Serbian Village, Says Group

In Kolwezi in the Lualaba province where more than 39,000 people live. Hundreds of residents have received orders to leave their homes without being consulted after the plans to expand the ZIJIN mine. Many houses have already been destroyed

kongopress.com
Rapport d'Amnesty International sur les minerais des batteries et les droits humains bafoués en RDC...

Chinese ZIJIN MINING mocks Félix Tshisekedi's mining policy: COMMUS, a subsidiary of Zijin Mining, accused of serious human rights violations in Kolwezi

econewsrdc.com
Le Chinois ZIJIN MINING se moque de la politique minière de Félix Tshisekedi : COMMUS, une...

Lithium Manono: How is ZIJIN with the illegal 15% (IGF) part of DATHCOM without any court decision?

kongopress.com
Lithium Manono : Comment ZIJIN avec les 15% illégaux (IGF) fait-elle partie de DATHCOM sans aucune...

In less than a year, the company Zijin was convicted four times for the same commercial offence, each time fined below the legal minimum

https://reri.org.rs/en/in-less-than-a-year-the-company-zijin-was-convicted-four-times-for-the-same-commercial-offence-each-time-fined-below-the-legal-minimum/#:~:text=News%20%2F%20Zijin%20Copper-,In%20less%20than%20a%20year%2C%20the%20company%20Zijin%20was%20convicted,the%20legal%20minimum%20each%20time.

reri.org.rs
In less than a year, the company Zijin was convicted four times for the same commercial offence,...

Zijin’s Negligence: How the Demolition of the Smelter Cost a Worker His Life 20 Mar 2023 Jovana Tomić, Dina Đorđević

https://cins.rs/en/zijin-s-negligence-how-the-demolition-of-the-smelter-cost-a-worker-his-life/

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
24/10/2023

Securities code: 601899 Securities Abbreviation: Zijin Mining Number: Link 2023-080

Zijin Mining Group Co., Ltd.'s announcement on the invitation to cooperate with the Congo Mining Co., Ltd.

The board of directors of the company and all directors guarantee that there are no false records, misleading statements or major omissions in the announcement of the announcement, and assume legal responsibility for the authenticity, accuracy and integrity of its content according to law.

On October 23, 2023,

Zijin Mining Group Co., Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as "Company")

foreign subsidiaries (hereinafter referred to as "Jinxiang Lithium")

and Congo Mining Co., Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as "Cominiere")

Manno Lithium Industry Simple Co., Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as "Project Company", Jinxiang Lithium holds 61%equity, Cominiere holds 39%of the equity)

has obtained the Northeast of the MANO Lithium Mine approved by the Ministry of Mining,

the Ministry of Mining of the Congo Program (hereinafter referred to as the "project") of the exploration right (number PR15775).

After the judgment of the Congo (Gold) judicial organs and the approval of government agencies, the 100%equity of the MANO Lithium Mine Number PR13359 has returned and registered under the COMINIERE name.

Subsequently, Cominiere invited the company to cooperate and develop some Northeast projects in the Northeast project (that is, the current corresponding number PR15775 exploration right).

According to the joint venture agreement signed by Jinxiang Lithium and Cominiere, after the project company obtained the number of PR15775 exploration rights, the two parties agreed that the COMINIERE should refund the purchase of 33.44 million US dollars of the purchase of DATHCOM shares by the company.

The part of the company's 61%of the equity required for equity, and it is promised to provide a total of $ 70 million for humanitarian assistance to the northeast and east of the Congo (Gold).

At the same time, the agreement stipulates that the geological exploration, development, construction, and operation management of the Jinxiang Lithium ownership project is responsible for solving the various internal and external financing of the subsequent project companies as the main body, and complete the geological exploration and research preparation as soon as possible.

After the project is landed, it is expected that the project construction is completed within 2 years after the confirmation of the research and financing plan, and the lithium smelting industrial park will be built in the same step. The product is prioritized to the downstream enterprise of the Congo (gold) under the premise of the market fair.

The company believes that Manono Lithium Mine is one of the largest lithium LCT (lithium, 铯, 钽) Weijing rock mines that have been discovered in the world.

Bring up

The potential of finding mine is huge. With the company's strong independent geological and mineral exploration capabilities, it is expected to achieve an important breakthrough in the exploration of savory pyrone -glyphs, and the project has the conditions for large -scale open -air development, and also has good development prospects. The company will promote the investigation and development of the project based on actual needs to invest sufficient funds and technical support.

At the same time, the company has obtained the development right of the MPIANA-MWANGA hydropower station related to the mining area through the public bidding procedure (the reconstruction and operation of the abandoned old power plant). Electricity.

Since 2014, the company has been put into production in Congo (Gold) to put into production large mines such as Korumovica Copper Mine and Kamaa Kakala Copper Mine, with a cumulative investment of more than 2 billion US dollars, and resolving more than 6,800 local employment.

This time, being invited to participate in project cooperation exploration and development is mainly based on the company's efficient construction and operation management capabilities in the Congo (gold), excellent ESG concepts and practices. After the development of the project, it will become one of the world's leading lithium production bases.

It will provide high -quality low -carbon metal raw materials for climate change, and promote the development of Congo (gold) and local community economy and social undertakings. The world's leading lithium manufacturer.

The company reminded that the relevant resources of this cooperation need to be further explorated and verified.

The benefits of the project are sensitive to the fluctuations of lithium prices. The project may be affected by relevant disputes, and the risks of the project development is not as expected. Investors are invited to pay attention.
Special announcement.

Zijin Mining Group Co., Ltd.

Last edited:
24/10/2023
Dazmac66 Posted

Following a judgment by the Congolese (Kinshasa) judicial authorities and approval from government agencies,

"Congolese (Kinshasa) judicial authorities " is this the authority that has no jurisdictional rights to make this decision?

25/10/2023
Zijin Media Published Propaganda

Last edited:
  • Wow

Dave Evans

Regular
05/09/2033

Stéphie Mukinzi was threatened with death for her investigations into the living conditions of the population around the mines of the Chinese groups, Ruashi Mining and ZIJIN

• Fire
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Dave Evans

Regular
Another Zijin operated mine resulting in deaths of workers from Zijin’s negligence 👇

Last edited:
  • Thinking

Dave Evans

Regular
10/12/2023
Dazmac66 Posted

Chinese State-owned Zijin Mining Under International Scrutiny​

Chinese State-owned Zijin Mining Under International Scrutiny

File photo. A man walks past the stand of Zijin Mining Group during an expo in Tianjin, China, September 24, 2016.

Zijin faces scrutiny worldwide for its poor environmental record, among other concerns. (Photo: Li Shengli/Imaginechina via AFP)

BY JULIETA PELCASTRE/DIÁLOGO
SEPTEMBER 28, 2023

In a world where business activities are under constant global scrutiny, Zijin Mining, a Chinese state-owned company specializing in gold and lithium mining, stands out as a symbol of persistent concerns about its impact and operating practices in Latin America and beyond, Radio FM Bolivia reported.

Its track record is tainted by allegations of labor exploitation, environmental damage, and safety deficiencies. But beyond its operations, Zijin’s close relationship with the Chinese Communist Party casts an additional shadow over its actions in nations with loose regulations, Argentine news site Infobae reported.

“This is due to the close connection of these companies with the government of Xi Jinping, whose authoritarian leadership seeks to expand them in the Belt and Road initiative,” Luis Fleischman, professor of sociology and political science at Palm Beach State University in Florida, told Diálogo on September 5. “This expansion has a political purpose: to strengthen global Chinese influence in Latin America.”

The state-owned mining giant under the sphere of influence of the Chinese government, acts as the main executor of Beijing’s ambitious strategy to acquire natural resources on a global scale, Infobae reported.

Tres Quebradas
In 2016, Zijin entered Argentina through its subsidiary Liex to develop the Tres Quebradas project in Catamarca, investing $450 million. Until August 2023, about $70 million were disbursed. However, the company faces investigation for allegedly over-invoicing imports of lithium mining machinery, Argentine platform La Política Online (LPO) reported on August 6.

According to Argentine daily Página 12, the Chinese company registered purchases of identical goods at prices much higher than market prices. A triangulation via Hong Kong would have been used, involving more than $5 million.

In November 2022, the Chinese firm’s lithium pilot plant was closed by the mining police of Catamarca, due to anomalies with chemical residues. In addition, according to LPO, workers at the mine salts said to work 12-hour daily for paltry wages. They do not have adequate equipment to handle chemicals and lack access to water for personal hygiene.

“Governments must demand that Chinese companies comply with the law,” said Fleischman. “Now, our hope for protecting the environment and preventing human and strategic mineral exploitation lies in the hands of governments. If they don’t act, problems will arise.”

Fleischman added that countries that place more value on respecting international guidelines, such as the United States, Canada, and Europe, will follow them as is their custom. However, if the governments of the nations where Chinese companies invest do not show interest, international law will not be able to sanction these companies.

Buriticá too
In Buriticá, Antioquia, Colombia, Zijin exploits the largest gold deposits. To obtain Colombian gold, the Chinese government-backed company faces conflict with local miners, and clashes with the Clan del Golfo criminal group, Radio FM Bolivia reported. Added to this are fiscal and environmental problems.

China is pressuring the Colombian government to provide additional protection to Zijin in the midst of this conflict, even suggesting the possibility of withdrawing the company and other investments from the country if its demands are not met, Radio FM Bolivia reported. The Zijin story is a narrative marked by controversy and opacity.

As is often the case in every country with Chinese influence, the ambassador acts as the main defender of Chinese interests and seeks to strengthen its operations through an “army.” Some suggest that Zijin may hire foreign mercenaries to protect its interests, according to Infobae.

“Corruption plays an attractive role for Chinese investors, similar to the power of drug traffickers, by buying the loyalty of politicians or judges while undermining state integrity,” Fleischman said. “Corruption drags down government quality.”

Constant conflict
Chinese companies not only create problems in Latin America, but in other parts of the world as well.

In Serbia, for example, Chinese negligence has affected the village of Bor. The inhabitants are protesting toxic air and water. Zijin manages the large-scale copper smelting and mining complex in that town without permits or official authorization, the Asia Financialnewspaper reported.

In 2020, Zijin warned Papua New Guinea that, if its government did not renew the environmental license at the Porgera gold mine, bilateral relations with China would be damaged, Reuters reported. Papua New Guinea refused to extend the mining lease for 20 years, citing environmental damage and social unrest. Following Chinese pressure, on March 31, 2023, the Papuan government signed a new agreement.

Against their people
Chinese companies treat local people similarly to how they treat their own people. Their attitude toward their own citizens is indifferent, and that same attitude is reflected in their treatment internationally. “They don’t see citizens as people, they see them as subjects,” Fleischman said.
In 2018, a copper mine in Zujin, in China’s Fujian province, polluted the Tingjian River with toxic waste, generating an environmental disaster with a profound impact on local communities, investigative journalism platform Dialogo Chino reported.
“The environmental issue is global in scope and concerns everyone. Cooperation is crucial among the nations involved. If this issue continues to be politicized our progress will suffer. If governments view China as a savior or investor of choice, they must recognize that the health of their citizens and the environment are not a priority for China,” Fleischman concluded.

Dave Evans

Regular
17/01/2024

Top Bottom