TLG Ann: Quarterly Activities/Appendix 5B Cash Flow Report - 29th Jul 2022, 7:57am

annb0t

Top 20
TLG Ann: Quarterly Activities/Appendix 5B Cash Flow Report
Price Sensitive: Y
Date: 29th Jul 2022, 7:57am

>>> Read announcement: Google: TLG Market Announcements

Reactions: 1 users
OK so we have a bit of a delay on the Permit front but nothing too onerous in my opinion. I was already resigned to not seeing permit finalisation until early 2023 anyway. To me it looks like the Court wants to be seen to have canvassed all parties before a final decision is made hence the extension of time for 2 submissions.

For me the most important part of the QR is this ( my Bold & Font Size) and to an extent @Semmel this might alleviate to an extent some of the concerns you have over technical issues regarding TLG anode

Talnode®-C qualification and commercial advances

During the quarter the Company further developed commercial engagements with a range of battery material customers, including tier-1 battery cell makers and automotive manufacturers. Talga and customers continue to work together on validation and product qualification programs for Talnode®-C, as well as customer auditing of the Company's operations and quality control systems. Pleasingly, following extensive test programs, Talnode®-C qualification has reached advanced stages with a range of parties. www.talgagroup.com 4 / 13 The current advanced tests are fed by large scale samples produced from Talga’s Electric Vehicle Anode (“EVA”) Plant, which was commissioned in late March and is now ramping up (ASX:TLG 31 March 2022). Negotiation processes for commercial agreements are underway and Talga expects to conclude purchase agreements to underpin financing of the 19,500tpa anode operation over the coming quarters in line with the Company’s strategy and milestones around finance, strategic partnerships and permitting. There is no guarantee the negotiations currently underway will result in commercial agreements, however expressions of interest in Talga's anode volumes continue to exceed multiples of planned production.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
@Semmel @cosors

We are sending you two on a road trip. Pack your bags lads
pack packing GIF

Over the coming months, Talga intends to present and/or exhibit at various industry events including:
• Oslo Battery Days, 22 to 23 August 2022, Oslo, Norway
• Net Zero Markets at ONS 2022, 29 August to 1 September 2022, Stavanger, Norway
IZB Wolfsburg, 11 to 13 October 2022, Wolfsburg, Germany
• Benchmark Week, 14 to 18 November 2022, Los Angeles, United States

Driving The Muppets GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

freewind

Emerged
What do you think about the low cash reserves?

Even if it should last until the time of issuing permits, it is not a position of strength for negotiations with Mitsui and others.

Reactions: 2 users

Even if it should last until the time of issuing permits, it is not a position of strength for negotiations with Mitsui and others.
1) Staff and Admin are around $1.5M per quarter ($6M p.a.)

2) $2.8M was spent on plant & equipment which is likely the final amounts on the EVA plant.

3) I think ( and I'll wait to be corrected) that alot of the Exploration Costs have already been spent on various drilling programs and evaluation of same. Although those Staff costs are only "corporate" i.e. Head Office. What about Sweden ? That's hard to say. Buried in Exploration, Evaluation, Development Costs

So if the EVA has been fully paid for and exploration largely completed then around $6M pays for HO Staff and Admin for a year plus say another $7M on other stuff including exploration and Swedish staff.

So with $13M in the bank my gut feel is that we are fine until around March/April next year maybe a few months longer. But if a CR is needed they'll go in January or February

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Affenhorst

Regular
The Court has received submissions from key stakeholders, government authorities and local groups. While the public consultation period has officially closed, the Court has granted an extension until 12 September to two stakeholders to make submissions. [...] The date for the first stage of the court hearing, a site visit, has been set for 20 September 2022. This will be followed by a formal hearing and final decision. The Court has advised subsequent to the period it has revised the date of the formal hearing to Q1 2023. T
I find this highly annoying. Who are those stakeholders? From the language, can we assume that it is not "local groups"? I very much hope that this was from Talga's side and not somebody trying to throw a wrench into our gears.

Negotiation processes for commercial agreements are underway and Talga expects to conclude purchase agreements to underpin financing of the 19,500tpa anode operation over the coming quarters
It sure would be great to see those agreements come sooner than later.

Talga’s expansion plans are justified by customers’ requests for volumes of Talnode®-C orders of magnitude beyond Talga’s currently planned production.
I very much like that part. If we assume 19.5 kt/a is planned, then customer demand is >200 kt/a. This is what's needed and I hope that MT will speak to this topic during the upcoming webinar. The old Niska expansion plan is not sufficient.

Talga ended the June quarter with A$13 million cash-in-bank
Money is running out. I really hope we can secure some postivie catalysts before having to raise new money.

Reactions: 5 users

In relation to negotiations with Mitsui and others I think MT is using the Swedish ECA announcement, the Nordic Investment Bank announcement, Swiss Export Risk Insurance announcement, the letter of support from an unnamed European Bank announcement and the appointment of BurnVoir as gentle reminders to Mitsui that there are other options for funding

Reactions: 3 users
I find this highly annoying. Who are those stakeholders? From the language, can we assume that it is not "local groups"? I very much hope that this was from Talga's side and not somebody trying to throw a wrench into our gears.

It sure would be great to see those agreements come sooner than later.

I very much like that part. If we assume 19.5 kt/a is planned, then customer demand is >200 kt/a. This is what's needed and I hope that MT will speak to this topic during the upcoming webinar. The old Niska expansion plan is not sufficient.

Money is running out. I really hope we can secure some postivie catalysts before having to raise new money.
While the public consultation period has officially closed, the Court has granted an extension until 12 September to two stakeholders to make submissions

Covering all bases I guess i.e. we are bending over backwards to listen to all parties so no one can later say "you didn't give us a chance to object"

Semmel

Regular
While the public consultation period has officially closed, the Court has granted an extension until 12 September to two stakeholders to make submissions

Covering all bases I guess i.e. we are bending over backwards to listen to all parties so no one can later say "you didn't give us a chance to object"
I would expect the Sami and an environmental group asking for extensions and delays. That is probably the worst outcome, perpetually delayed. If permits are a given, we are good and can fight the next law suit that is for sure coming. If permits are denied, we can fight that in a law suit as well. If we get delays stacked on delays, we can do nothing. I hope the court is covering all bases such that a positive decision cannot be challenged.

Semmel

Regular
So far, I did not have much time to read the Quarterly Report in depth and respond to it. I will do so now.

As a reminder, Talga needs the Vittangi big 4:
* Permits
* Financing
* Offtakes
* Partners (maybe)

Balance:

Lets first look at the financial numbers. They set the scene so to spreak. All values in $AUD. Ill read the balance sheet with commentary here and speculate how the next might look like.

At the end of the quarter, Talga has 13M in the bank, they started with 22M. From that alone, you know its gonna be tight. Lets go a bit further. They spend 2.8M on 'investments', that is land purchases and equipment for the EVA plant presumably. That is non recurring I hope. Talga also spend 6.3M on quarterly activities, of which 3.5M are exploration and evaluation. That are the drilling programs and their evaluation, feasibility studies like the FEED assessment, etc. While they need the FEED assessment, they dont immediately need new drill holes. So lets speculate and say they can reduce that particular part of the balance sheet to 1M without impacting the timeline of current activities. Development costs are 1.4M and include "EVA plant commissioning and production ramp up, UK product development and German test facility operations". While I hope the EVA plant is fully paid for in Q2, we are not sure. So lets hope we can drop that down to 0.4M. The remaining costs of spending are 1.5M for personal and other running costs which cannot be reduced.

So lets say Talga dont need more investments and can reduce the current exploration and development costs by 3.4M. Then, the expenditures of next quarters would be around 2.8M at the very best. That are 4 quarters, but more likely only 3 quarters worth of funding left in the bank. This is very tight. Talga needs funding by the end of Q4, Q1 of 2023 at the very latest or its gonna be in trouble.

Ohh and dont forget, we have the message from some time earlier, that Talga was able to sell their EVA products for more than the Battery Minerals Report suggested, so for more than US$12k per tonne. That is very good for Talga. I think production was something about 5T per month? I dont remember correctly and cant find it unfortunately, but thats about US$100k, per month, not enough to keep Talga alive.

Project Financing:

According to the DFS, the Vittangi project requires "US$484 million plus US$44 million contingency", i.e. US$528M. With inflation being what it is, more likely US$600M. Additional to that, we have learned, that Talga needs SEK400M, or about US$40M of securities in case something goes wrong.

Talga plans to finance this with 60% dept and 40% through "strategic project equity partnerships". Meaning we will give 40% OF THE VITTANGI PROJECT to Mitsui or othrers. This last part is important as we might lose 40% of the Vittangi profits but not 40% of Talga, the company. So there will likely be no capital raise for the Vittangi project, rather money coming in from a partner that has a stake in the mine and refinery.

60% of US$600M are US$360M, which should come from the following institutions:
* Nordic Investment Bank
* Swedish Export Credit Corporation ("SEK")
* "a leading European Bank"

40%, or US$240M would then come from project equity, i.e. Mitsui if they are still in the boat at the end of August. The financing page sais nothing about the grants we seek from the EU, or other authorities. I bet that any grant we receive will reduce the project equity funding. Also, as we will see when talking about customers, any advanced payment from customers will likey reduce the project equity before anything else. At least I would rather pay interest than giving up Vittangi Project fractions.

The FEED study (mentioned in a separate section of the Q report) is a prerequisite of project financing. I hope its the last box to tick. If that is the case, we might see project financing before permits. Not much of substance is written about the FEED study, just that its in review now.

Permits:

Everyones favorite topic. We are all very aware of the process and I dont need to chew through that in detail. So here is the status as we know it:

* Court site visit September 20.
* Norrbotten County Administrative Board no objections to Natura 2000 permit
* Extended commentary for environmental permits on request from 2 parties until September 12.
* Court hearing and final decision in Q1 2023
* Exploration and processing concession shortly after Environmental permit, i.e. Q1 2023 at the earliest
* Environmental permit for processing facility submitted (I wonder when that gets approved..)

We know it already, we will not see ink on the paper before Q1 2023 for any of the permits. In the process of which, the county board of Norrbotten has been replaced (the new board has approved our Natura 2000 process now) and also the head of Bergstaaten, which is responsible for our exploration permit (see https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/the-talga-bar.13637/post-111319 ) as 'voluntarily' resigned. This is probably positive for us as the old one might have dragged its feet on the processing concession. But the new one has to settle in as well, so chaos is guaranteed. Timelines uncertain.

Together with the low runway in the bank, this is a quite bleak picture for Talga, but we are not done yet. The positive things come now.

Talnode-C qualification

As you know, I find the quality of Talnode-C is illusive at best. So we have to read through the customer engagement process how good it is. In this, this quote reads quite positive: "Pleasingly, following extensive test programs, Talnode®-C qualification has reached advanced stages with a range of parties.". With advanced tests, they mean customers have received samples from the EVA plant. Which is a costly process for any customer to go though and they wouldnt do that if the test samples of Talnode-C were not good. But it doesnt mean the Battery Minerals estimate of Talnode-C being worth US$12k per tonne is actually true. We will have to wait for that. Naturally, we would not hear about any customer who would not want EVA plant products... so our level of information is very limited.

Very positive indeed is the following sentence:
"Negotiation processes for commercial agreements are underway and Talga expects to conclude purchase agreements to underpin financing of the 19,500tpa anode operation over the coming quarters [...]". So there is at least one customer that went beyond testing and qualification and is now in off-take negotiations. Maybe off-take negotiations are in parallel to qualification, but it is a very positive sign and if it comes to fruition, and with the delays in permits, the first of the big 4 might be off-takes after all. However, we dont know how far off-take agreements have reached at this stage, so financing could come before.

Other Activities and Expansions

In short, not much to talk about as everything is as expected.
* FEED study completed and in review
* Trail mine mining
* Environment being monitored
* Exploration of more graphite is mentioned

Something interesting though in this sentence: "The Vittangi graphite deposits remain open along strike and at depth, with further drilling planned to underpin continued resource growth. Talga’s expansion plans are justified by customers’ requests for volumes of Talnode®-C orders of magnitude beyond Talga’s currently planned production."

So this is definitely going to be a question of mine: Why the fuck does Talga stick to its plan to expand with Niska by a factor of 5 instead a factor of 20 or more as customers request for production increase would imply? Obviously, I will phrase it differently, but the lack of plans for increased production of Talnode-C by Niska or otherwise is a head scratcher for me. The 100ktpa Talnode-C plan for Niska is far too low for the timeline they are looking at. That needs to be 2 to 5 times larger. After all, they got the Niska Link for it. There could be one giant underground mine from Niska North through Niska Link, Niska South, Nunasvaara North to Nunasvaara East.

Also, they mention new exploration to discover the remaining resources.. but quite frankly, they dont have the funds for it. I hope they will hold off on that until this is sorted out.

UK, Silicon and other development

"Talga has successfully completed a study into the technical and commercial feasibility of producing conductive battery additives in the UK." Ok, we got the completion notice quite some time ago. But we all didnt really think much of it. Now read this:

"Strong market growth is expected in coming years for conductive additives, which are widely used across a range of battery types, most commonly in Li-ion battery cathodes and anodes to boost electrical conductivity and improve battery performance. Talga expects its conductive additive product to partially replace incumbent products such as carbon black."

So Talga is engaged in additives for cathode? Wow, I didnt know this. And want to replace carbon black? For your background, carbon black is the coating when we talk about coated anode. It consists of tiny, nm-scale particles of carbon that go on the surface of the graphite particles, which themselfs are in the um scale. Carbon black fills the void between the graphite particles and ensures electric conductivity. As you might imagine, applying nm sized particles to um sized particles is quite difficult to get right, thats why its so expensive and an art in it self. Talga is engaged in replacing part of carbon black, so .. that means they must have a better material for that. You know what is the best conductive material on earth? Graphene. Look at Talga, we have experience with graphene. I bet that they are experimenting adding graphene particles to the cathode and anode to increase performance. Maybe even make their silicon product viable in the first place. It would be a huge market if Talga could produce a battery additive that would improve battery performance on both sides of the separator. We will need to keep an eye on that. Its gonna be a beast!

Onto recycling: "The RELOAD study will investigate the use of graphene produced from spent lithium-ion battery anodes as performance-boosting advanced battery material products such as conductive additives or as a carbon source for silicon-carbon composite anode material. " See the above. We know that anodes cant be recycled to new anodes (yet). But making graphene platelets out of these anodes is a good way forwards. Its going to feed directly into the above mentioned process.

Also they plan to use the silicon they find in their mined waste to produce silicon for anodes.. Not sure what to think of it, I would guess its cheaper and easier to source the silicon from a third party. Silicon is not magic stuff, its relatively cheap and very abundant. Not convinced what they say here helps in any way.

• Fire
Reactions: 10 users
Why the fuck does Talga stick to its plan to expand with Niska by a factor of 5 instead a factor of 20 or more as customers request for production increase would imply? Obviously, I will phrase it differently, but the lack of plans for increased production of Talnode-C by Niska or otherwise is a head scratcher for me. The 100ktpa Talnode-C plan for Niska is far too low for the timeline they are looking at. That needs to be 2 to 5 times larger. After all, they got the Niska Link for it. There could be one giant underground mine from Niska North through Niska Link, Niska South, Nunasvaara North to Nunasvaara East.
A great question for the upcoming webinar ;)

scep

Hi Semmel, nice summary.

Your quote: "Why the fuck does Talga stick to its plan to expand with Niska by a factor of 5 instead a factor of 20 or more as customers request for production increase would imply?"

I belief that changing their plans publicly it will cause a delay in the permit process as stakeholders will go back to access the impact. To me it looks the right strategy to get positive cashflow asap, but I am sure that, out of sight, Talga has a programme ready to upscale production to match the need.

Does this make sense to you?

• Fire

Semmel

Regular
Hi Semmel, nice summary.

Your quote: "Why the fuck does Talga stick to its plan to expand with Niska by a factor of 5 instead a factor of 20 or more as customers request for production increase would imply?"

I belief that changing their plans publicly it will cause a delay in the permit process as stakeholders will go back to access the impact. To me it looks the right strategy to get positive cashflow asap, but I am sure that, out of sight, Talga has a programme ready to upscale production to match the need.

Maybe, but i will ask this question regardless and see what Talga thinks about it rather than speculate.

TentCity

Regular
Hi Semmel, nice summary.

I don’t have much time to write this morning - busy Sunday ahead.

But great summary Semmel - so much to unpack from that quarterly and i have at least 15 questions in mind to ask at the webinar!

I do fully agree with Scep’s comments. Mark is well aware of the scale of demand and the need to increase production quickly. However, in addition to the rigid approval process that needs to be followed, I think it is wise to avoid publicly stating the scale this project could ultimately get to as otherwise we just paint a much larger targets on our back by the Environmentalists and Sami etc to oppose the project from the outset.

At the moment, the size of project has a very modest land and environmental footprint and they just need to get into production ASAP and as the wall of demand hits, they will be able to scale up more quickly if they can demonstrate they are good environmental stewards and avoid any breaches in their license conditions.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

JoMo68

Regular
Perhaps a good reason not to ask the question then…

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Semmel

Regular
😂 my post got copied on the 🏖️ .. not sure what to think of it but it's for sure funny 🤣

Reactions: 1 users

Affenhorst

Regular
Maybe, but i will ask this question regardless and see what Talga thinks about it rather than speculate.
I want to know the same. My guess is this:

• Talga has already announced that they want to fashion a new feasibility study using their new resource estimates and spanning all of Vittangi. Question is: when will they do this? Probably some time next year, likely H2?
  • There has already been an application for mining the ore for Niska. The respective environmental permits were supposed to be applied for after the first ones are granted (now in Q1/23). So they are somewhat bound by the amounts outlined in their permit applications. These concessions can probably be recycled as part of a larger concept. Further extensions are likely to be granted much faster than the initial operation, as they will largely be more of the same.
  • The expansion will need to happen in increments. Doing too much at once, scaling too fast would be more difficult from a practical and funding perspective.
For the above reasons, there is still time to plan, apply for and execute further extensions, let's say in 2027, scaling further as soon as the initial Niska stage has reached full capacity.

Last edited:

Semmel

Regular
I want to know the same. My guess is this:

• Talga has already announced that they want to fashion a new feasibility study using their new resource estimates and spanning all of Vittangi. Question is: when will they do this? Probably some time next year, likely H2?
  • There has already been an application for mining the ore for Niska. The respective environmental permits were supposed to be applied for after the first ones are granted (now in Q1/23). So they are somewhat bound by the amounts outlined in their permit applications. These concessions can probably recycled as part of a larger concept. Further extensions are likely to be granted much faster than the initial operation, as they will be more of the same.
  • The expansion will need to happen in increments. Doing too much at once, scaling too fast would be more difficult from a practical and funding perspective.
For the above reasons, there is still time to plan, apply for and execute further extensions, let's say in 2027, scaling further as soon as the initial Niska stage has reached full capacity.

I agree, thats an option. However, Talga would have to make a plan for that and I hope they are communicating it. Maybe they stick with the current Niska expansion and follow that up 2 year later with another 5x expansion of the niska expansion? Fine by me. Just tell us though! Maybe call it Niska Expansion Expansion, or Niska Expansion Phase 2 ... :D Anyhow, it should be underground as to not disturb the reindeer.

So far, I did not have much time to read the Quarterly Report in depth and respond to it. I will do so now.

As a reminder, Talga needs the Vittangi big 4:
* Permits
* Financing
* Offtakes
* Partners (maybe)

Balance:

Lets first look at the financial numbers. They set the scene so to spreak. All values in $AUD. Ill read the balance sheet with commentary here and speculate how the next might look like.

At the end of the quarter, Talga has 13M in the bank, they started with 22M. From that alone, you know its gonna be tight. Lets go a bit further. They spend 2.8M on 'investments', that is land purchases and equipment for the EVA plant presumably. That is non recurring I hope. Talga also spend 6.3M on quarterly activities, of which 3.5M are exploration and evaluation. That are the drilling programs and their evaluation, feasibility studies like the FEED assessment, etc. While they need the FEED assessment, they dont immediately need new drill holes. So lets speculate and say they can reduce that particular part of the balance sheet to 1M without impacting the timeline of current activities. Development costs are 1.4M and include "EVA plant commissioning and production ramp up, UK product development and German test facility operations". While I hope the EVA plant is fully paid for in Q2, we are not sure. So lets hope we can drop that down to 0.4M. The remaining costs of spending are 1.5M for personal and other running costs which cannot be reduced.

So lets say Talga dont need more investments and can reduce the current exploration and development costs by 3.4M. Then, the expenditures of next quarters would be around 2.8M at the very best. That are 4 quarters, but more likely only 3 quarters worth of funding left in the bank. This is very tight. Talga needs funding by the end of Q4, Q1 of 2023 at the very latest or its gonna be in trouble.

Ohh and dont forget, we have the message from some time earlier, that Talga was able to sell their EVA products for more than the Battery Minerals Report suggested, so for more than US$12k per tonne. That is very good for Talga. I think production was something about 5T per month? I dont remember correctly and cant find it unfortunately, but thats about US$100k, per month, not enough to keep Talga alive.

Project Financing:

According to the DFS, the Vittangi project requires "US$484 million plus US$44 million contingency", i.e. US$528M. With inflation being what it is, more likely US$600M. Additional to that, we have learned, that Talga needs SEK400M, or about US$40M of securities in case something goes wrong.

Talga plans to finance this with 60% dept and 40% through "strategic project equity partnerships". Meaning we will give 40% OF THE VITTANGI PROJECT to Mitsui or othrers. This last part is important as we might lose 40% of the Vittangi profits but not 40% of Talga, the company. So there will likely be no capital raise for the Vittangi project, rather money coming in from a partner that has a stake in the mine and refinery.

60% of US$600M are US$360M, which should come from the following institutions:
* Nordic Investment Bank
* Swedish Export Credit Corporation ("SEK")
* "a leading European Bank"

40%, or US$240M would then come from project equity, i.e. Mitsui if they are still in the boat at the end of August. The financing page sais nothing about the grants we seek from the EU, or other authorities. I bet that any grant we receive will reduce the project equity funding. Also, as we will see when talking about customers, any advanced payment from customers will likey reduce the project equity before anything else. At least I would rather pay interest than giving up Vittangi Project fractions.

The FEED study (mentioned in a separate section of the Q report) is a prerequisite of project financing. I hope its the last box to tick. If that is the case, we might see project financing before permits. Not much of substance is written about the FEED study, just that its in review now.

Permits:

Everyones favorite topic. We are all very aware of the process and I dont need to chew through that in detail. So here is the status as we know it:

* Court site visit September 20.
* Norrbotten County Administrative Board no objections to Natura 2000 permit
* Extended commentary for environmental permits on request from 2 parties until September 12.
* Court hearing and final decision in Q1 2023
* Exploration and processing concession shortly after Environmental permit, i.e. Q1 2023 at the earliest
* Environmental permit for processing facility submitted (I wonder when that gets approved..)

We know it already, we will not see ink on the paper before Q1 2023 for any of the permits. In the process of which, the county board of Norrbotten has been replaced (the new board has approved our Natura 2000 process now) and also the head of Bergstaaten, which is responsible for our exploration permit (see https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/the-talga-bar.13637/post-111319 ) as 'voluntarily' resigned. This is probably positive for us as the old one might have dragged its feet on the processing concession. But the new one has to settle in as well, so chaos is guaranteed. Timelines uncertain.

Together with the low runway in the bank, this is a quite bleak picture for Talga, but we are not done yet. The positive things come now.

Talnode-C qualification

As you know, I find the quality of Talnode-C is illusive at best. So we have to read through the customer engagement process how good it is. In this, this quote reads quite positive: "Pleasingly, following extensive test programs, Talnode®-C qualification has reached advanced stages with a range of parties.". With advanced tests, they mean customers have received samples from the EVA plant. Which is a costly process for any customer to go though and they wouldnt do that if the test samples of Talnode-C were not good. But it doesnt mean the Battery Minerals estimate of Talnode-C being worth US$12k per tonne is actually true. We will have to wait for that. Naturally, we would not hear about any customer who would not want EVA plant products... so our level of information is very limited.

Very positive indeed is the following sentence:
"Negotiation processes for commercial agreements are underway and Talga expects to conclude purchase agreements to underpin financing of the 19,500tpa anode operation over the coming quarters [...]". So there is at least one customer that went beyond testing and qualification and is now in off-take negotiations. Maybe off-take negotiations are in parallel to qualification, but it is a very positive sign and if it comes to fruition, and with the delays in permits, the first of the big 4 might be off-takes after all. However, we dont know how far off-take agreements have reached at this stage, so financing could come before.

Other Activities and Expansions

In short, not much to talk about as everything is as expected.
* FEED study completed and in review
* Trail mine mining
* Environment being monitored
* Exploration of more graphite is mentioned

Something interesting though in this sentence: "The Vittangi graphite deposits remain open along strike and at depth, with further drilling planned to underpin continued resource growth. Talga’s expansion plans are justified by customers’ requests for volumes of Talnode®-C orders of magnitude beyond Talga’s currently planned production."

So this is definitely going to be a question of mine: Why the fuck does Talga stick to its plan to expand with Niska by a factor of 5 instead a factor of 20 or more as customers request for production increase would imply? Obviously, I will phrase it differently, but the lack of plans for increased production of Talnode-C by Niska or otherwise is a head scratcher for me. The 100ktpa Talnode-C plan for Niska is far too low for the timeline they are looking at. That needs to be 2 to 5 times larger. After all, they got the Niska Link for it. There could be one giant underground mine from Niska North through Niska Link, Niska South, Nunasvaara North to Nunasvaara East.

Also, they mention new exploration to discover the remaining resources.. but quite frankly, they dont have the funds for it. I hope they will hold off on that until this is sorted out.

UK, Silicon and other development

"Talga has successfully completed a study into the technical and commercial feasibility of producing conductive battery additives in the UK." Ok, we got the completion notice quite some time ago. But we all didnt really think much of it. Now read this:

"Strong market growth is expected in coming years for conductive additives, which are widely used across a range of battery types, most commonly in Li-ion battery cathodes and anodes to boost electrical conductivity and improve battery performance. Talga expects its conductive additive product to partially replace incumbent products such as carbon black."

So Talga is engaged in additives for cathode? Wow, I didnt know this. And want to replace carbon black? For your background, carbon black is the coating when we talk about coated anode. It consists of tiny, nm-scale particles of carbon that go on the surface of the graphite particles, which themselfs are in the um scale. Carbon black fills the void between the graphite particles and ensures electric conductivity. As you might imagine, applying nm sized particles to um sized particles is quite difficult to get right, thats why its so expensive and an art in it self. Talga is engaged in replacing part of carbon black, so .. that means they must have a better material for that. You know what is the best conductive material on earth? Graphene. Look at Talga, we have experience with graphene. I bet that they are experimenting adding graphene particles to the cathode and anode to increase performance. Maybe even make their silicon product viable in the first place. It would be a huge market if Talga could produce a battery additive that would improve battery performance on both sides of the separator. We will need to keep an eye on that. Its gonna be a beast!

Onto recycling: "The RELOAD study will investigate the use of graphene produced from spent lithium-ion battery anodes as performance-boosting advanced battery material products such as conductive additives or as a carbon source for silicon-carbon composite anode material. " See the above. We know that anodes cant be recycled to new anodes (yet). But making graphene platelets out of these anodes is a good way forwards. Its going to feed directly into the above mentioned process.

Also they plan to use the silicon they find in their mined waste to produce silicon for anodes.. Not sure what to think of it, I would guess its cheaper and easier to source the silicon from a third party. Silicon is not magic stuff, its relatively cheap and very abundant. Not convinced what they say here helps in any way.
I wouldn't be too downbeat on the Cash Position although I think a CR will be necessary as Permits wont be granted in time at current cash burn rate. Working capital needs to come from somewhere if Mitsui are out and no one will lend us money if we have no Permit.

If MT can get a good offtake(s) announced then the SP should lift substantially even before Permits are granted. Then there might be a CR but at a much higher price so not too dilutive and maybe only for $20M to $25M anyway which could be in the ratio of 1 to 20 if he can propel the SP more toward $2 and raise at maybe $1.70

And don't forget what happened to Lionstown where Ford have lent all the project finance just to get their hands on the lithium to be mined.

Top Bottom