Talga UPDATES thread

I think that might be under-estimating what Syrah have achieved and are planning (disclosure - I do not hold Syrah shares, just follow them for comparison purposes)

Talnode-C is AAM. Syrah will be producing AAM at Vidalia. Syrah don't seem to have given the product a name but that is their Syrah-Node C.

It's the same type of product, the difference is how it performs. We don't have technical specs for either so can't compare.
We don't know that Tal-C will command a premium to Syrah's product, we just have to trust what the company says.
Tal-C might command a premium because of lower CO2 profile, it might command a premium bacause of better performance, but until an offtake is agreed there is no validation that anyone is willing to pay $12-13/kg for Tal-C.
I'm hopeful that Syrah have just been screwed on pricing by signing a bad deal with Tesla and Talga will fare much better, bit until the deal is done it's just hope.

What do you mean when you say Syrah is not fully integrated? I'm not sure what step they're missing that Talga has?

Syrah do own their IP btw, through Syrah Technologies LLC. The part you have bolded is just marketing fluff - a bit like Talga saying they're collaborating with Polestar?
If you look at Syrah patents most of the people listed are current or former Syrah employees, so it was (mostly) developed in-house I think. eg:

What Syrah are less clear about is if Vidalia opex includes any royalties due from an old collaboration with Cadenza Innovation who got them started on the AAM path, but that is too much of a digression I think.
Talnode C is coated with Talga proprietary coating......................Syrah's product is coated using outside Third Parties supplying the coating. They miss that last step to be fully vertically integrated. Yes they both produce AAM but only TLG does it 100% from Mine to OEM hence the premium is not due to being just greener

I cannot find any evidence that Syrah produces its own coating and the IP you refer to appears to be in relation to the equipment used for milling, grinding and final polishing. Not in relation to what is the very final coating

If you can find some evidence of that then........... I'm unhappily wrong............. and you unhappily correct..........LOL

Talnode™-C
Talnode™-C is made from our unique Swedish high-grade natural graphite and proprietary coating processes to offer industry-leading active anode in sub-6 micron sizes. Talnode™-C can be tuned to application using our 100% vertical integration control, and is characterised by low ohmic resistance, low swelling and low surface area*, providing outstanding fast charge and low temperature performance for electric vehicles and consumer electronics.

* What shape has the lowest surface area?
A sphere has the largest volume of any shape, holding surface area constant, and the smallest surface area of any shape, holding volume constant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Talnode C is coated with Talga proprietary coating......................Syrah's product is coated using outside Third Parties supplying the coating. They miss that last step to be fully vertically integrated.

Talnode™-C

Talnode™-C is made from our unique Swedish high-grade natural graphite and proprietary coating processes to offer industry-leading active anode in sub-6 micron sizes. Talnode™-C can be tuned to application using our 100% vertical integration control, and is characterised by low ohmic resistance, low swelling and low surface area, providing outstanding fast charge and low temperature performance for electric vehicles and consumer electronics.

Vertical integration is owning the stages of production. That's what Talga and Syrah are both doing. Mine to anode.

Syrah coat their graphite at the Vidalia plant. What do you mean about third parties supplying the coating?

Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 5.53.06 pm.png

Even if Syrah's process uses IP from someone else (which I don't believe it does given the patents) that doesn't mean they're not vertically integrated. If you're talking about supply of materials for anything but graphite it would be like saying Talga are not vertically integrated because they don't manufacture their own hydrofluoric acid in-house, they just buy it from BASF (or wherever). Worst case for Syrah is that their version of "vertical integataion" means an extra 1% royalty to someone else.

Well yes we're obviously disagreeing about this.

You're repeating the point that Talga has a patented proprietary process. I don't disagree. But I think you're being a bit belligerent here.

Talga's process doesn't mean the end product is a different class of product to what Syrah are making. It's active anode material made from natural graphite sourced from their own mine. The performance specs may be different but it's still the same class of product.
Samsung and Apple both make smartphones. They have different patents and processes but the end product is the same class of product - a phone.

Talga will be vertically integrated and produce AAM

Syrah are vertically integrated and produce AAM. Are you still saying they're not?

Syrah are vertically integrated and produce AAM. Are you still saying they're not?
Yes !

Because the coating is supplied to them, they did not develop it, so they don’t get that revenue as it’s supplied free of charge by the customer

Tim

Emerged
@WheresTheMonkey I had a dig through a few reports from SYR but haven't been able to pinpoint this. Can't find any wording suggesting the customer is the supplier of the coating. Would you be happy to show us your source? A black & white ANN or statement from SYR will put all of this to rest.

I haven't looked much into SYR before now but on a surface level, the impression I get from their recent quarterly and annual so far aligns with what curiousmagpie is saying. But I also know there's devils in the details!

Reactions: 1 users
@WheresTheMonkey I had a dig through a few reports from SYR but haven't been able to pinpoint this. Can't find any wording suggesting the customer is the supplier of the coating. Would you be happy to show us your source? A black & white ANN or statement from SYR will put all of this to rest.

I haven't looked much into SYR before now but on a surface level, the impression I get from their recent quarterly and annual so far aligns with what curiousmagpie is saying. But I also know there's devils in the details!

Tim I think I tracked down the answer.

Syrah have an exclusive licence from 2015 for coating tech. If they're still using this and not their own patented process they'll be paying a small (1-2%?) royalty on AAM sales to Morgan Hairong.

Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 9.30.28 pm.png

I'm not sure what wtm is talking about with customer supplying the coating, doesn't make any sense.
Syrah dig graphite out of the ground and turn it into active anode material for sale (vertical integration!)

Syrah have an exclusive licence from 2015 for coating tech. If they're still using this and not their own patented process they'll be paying a small (1-2%?) royalty on AAM sales to Morgan Hairong.

View attachment 55718

I'm not sure what wtm is talking about with customer supplying the coating, doesn't make any sense.
Syrah dig graphite out of the ground and turn it into active anode material for sale (vertical integration!)
“…..small (1-2%?) royalty on AAM sales to Morgan Hairong.”

You don’t know that

And

You have just proved my whole f&&king point.

They do not own the product

Which is what I have been saying all day.

Syrah has not developed anything in the way of a breakthrough coating or any coating

It’s not their product it’s a generic. Google Anode coating and you will get dozens of chemical companies selling the shit

Syrah are using a generic used worldwide and you want to compare it to Talnode C developed in-house in Cambridge which MT has consistently said vastly outperforms other coated SPG .

Consistently I have said Syrah has not developed a coating. There was no evidence they had. You disputed that despite no evidence that they had

Last edited:

brewm0re

Regular

View attachment 55718

Tend to agree with WTM. Besides the SC giving the green light, (not different to any company mining graphite) Talga is not reliant on anyone from start to finish. Any outsourcing, even from a micro stage of the process fails the ‘fully independent’ vertical integration test in my books. True to your point though curious magpie, that SYR are going from start to finish, but not at the TLG level of processing and are requiring a 3rd party within such a stage. For example, what if Morgan Hairong went belly up? Or China imposed restrictions or flat out cancelled them? How would that affect SYR? Would they need to shut down operations in Mozambique like we saw over the last year (even though that was completely unrelated).

Seeing MT at this webinar, confirms this company will annihilate any competitors. The amount of times I’ve heard ‘USA’ come from recent webinars, I wouldn’t be surprised if our tech, licensing and anodes dominate eventually in North America as well as Europe where its sure to be the market leader.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
Think the kids bedtime story suffered a bit tonight. Trying to listen to the webinar through one headphone while reading - not easy! What I caught of it though was pretty bullish. A very very confident MT.

This company is on the verge of something big.

Can’t wait for a rewatch.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
A direct copy/paste of Gvan’s summary just posted at HC for anyone who doesn’t monitor it.

Too good not to share.

Amazing work Gvan.

Webinar Highlights​

01/02/24 22:38:48
Gvan
1,369 Posts.
01/02/24
22:38
Post #: 72194583

There were many great topics covered, but these were the parts that stood out the most to me. It’s a mixture of paraphrasing and direct quotes.

Mark noted the difficult macro conditions for the battery sector with lithium’s collapse and negative media coverage but stated that Talga’s side of things “are frankly very good.”

He stated that he’s not in Stockholm for a conference but “we actually have car companies here, we have customers here, there are politicians here and policy makers from Europe, so doing a whole bunch of things.”

“One thing the outside world is not being reminded much of is, we’re not actually a one project company, we’re actually developing a whole range of battery materials. There’s diversity to our products, different technologies, different markets. All being developed parallel. Of course our main project is Vittangi, which is a mine to battery project here in north Sweden, which is drawing very close. But do not forget we are exposing ourselves to many other parts of the market as well that is growing in electrification. The growth rates may change a little up and down, but overall is still growing really strongly. Just a reminder that your company, if you’re a shareholder, is not just about a single project, it's created a lot of value that’s probably on the verge of coming out in various ways.”

“The big thing was in the last quarter, the news that the Chinese were looking at export restrictions from December 1, that news was announced in October, the day after it was announced, I had to fly to a different country every single day meeting auto makers. For the first time we’re seeing auto OEMs much more interested in anode supply chains, than the cell makers ever were.”

"What this news from China did was, the end users realised that they were much more exposed than they thought. It wasn’t the fact that China have exported restrictions to zero, it’s that they suddenly realised that, particularly on the graphite side, they hadn’t been paying attention and that they had to do something about it strategically. We’re now inundated with site visits and interests not just from within Europe, but in America as well. To be honest it’s been fantastic for business. It essentially did a lot of the heavy lifting that we’ve been talking to these customers about for a long time, and now they’ve got an accelerated attitude towards these things. The localisation of supply chains is no longer theoretical, the increase in deglobalisation, a much harsher geopolitical landscape, it’s not going back to what it was before where you can import disinflation from China. Everyone is realising that if you don’t have your own thing, you will possibly come to an end.”

Mark also goes on to state how the EU must protect their automotive industry and why the destruction of the automotive industry would be far worse than what happened to the solar panel industry.

“The difference is you’ve already got millions of people employed in the industry, been going for a hundred years in countries like Germany and France, so they’ve got a lot more to protect. They’ve got billions of dollars of debt in pension fund payments for all these workers, they’ve got a much higher level of investment that they’re trying to protect. Its a different motivation, otherwise you could just say sure, cheap BYDs come on in. There is a fight they’re looking at having to support their industries, whether that’s through tariffs, going against free trade principles, whether it’s through increasing subsidies to local providers, either way it’s supportive of what Talga’s doing, which is setting up a non-Asian replacement of Asian battery supply chains.

For us internally, business has never been better. Fundamentals of the interest from where the customers are at has expanded from cell making and going beyond to the autos, the final customers who were happy just to let the cell makers do whatever they want, now actually strategically the auto OEMs are much more concerned about it now. “

“Customer off takes, some of them have already been advanced as far as they can go, and they’re waiting on some of the things around the project, new ones are continuously underway. The customers you have visibility on are not the only customers, that’s for sure. There's a whole heap and that’s accelerating after these recent events."

Mark mentions that the company had hoped that the appeals decision would have wrapped up by Christmas, that hasn’t happened yet but states that it is getting very very close. Says that we have reason to be confident that it is nearby.

“We don’t get official detailed information before the announcement is made publicly. Certainly from working with policy makers and local politicians and people within government here, everyone is confident and with fingers crossed.” He mentions that if the appeals go against the company, they can still apply for an execution order and potentially start the project anyway.

On the financing of the project, which I was most happy about. Note the talk about project finance, not equity in the company as well as strategic partners with prepayment purchase agreements.

“We’ve stated our target for 60% debt funding and 40% equity for a long time now. What people, particularly research analysts have to do, is they say well I don’t know where the 40% equity is, but I guess you’re going to issue shares for it and that’s going to be hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars, and of course, we say no that’s not the case.

We have a whole range of options. For example, there are EU and different member state grants and state aid available. Now you would think we would be applying for these, and we are, but unlike the American system where you talk about it from the beginning, in Europe you can’t actually talk about it until the end. So when they’re fully approved and granted, but during the process you’re not allowed to say how much you’ve applied for and who with.

We’ve got pretty good chances, you would imagine. We’re a critical mineral, Critical Raw Materials Act has just come out, it’s going into force in the next few months. As part of that they designate strategic projects for Europe, which can also facilitate access to various funds.

Essentially if you look at our package, the equity component of financing the project can be broken down into as much aid as you can get from somewhere else. There’s Australian companies, they get up to $200m in some sort of aid from either the Australian or US government. We haven’t done that yet, you haven’t heard us because you can’t talk about it until it’s finished. But of course those things are underway with us to decrease any other funding requirement on the equity side.

Then what’s left? You’ve got two things to do. Number one you could pay for it yourself if the shares are $5 and it’s not going to hurt you too much in the company’s dilution. But times are not like that, so you look at strategic partners. What does that mean? Pre-payments or off takes. Strategic investment, not necessarily into the company, but into the project by a player or an actor, that can help continue to decrease your funding requirements going forward.

Times are tough, but that’s okay. We are asset rich. We have many things to sell and work with, with various partners. It’s not even in the project, there are other parts of the business as well. The lithium discoveries, the cobalt deposits, quarter of a billion tons of iron ore in resources, copper projects including resources. Then of course silicon and other battery technologies, that separately can also attract state aid aid strategic investors and who’s money could essentially be paying for parts of the company and forming part of that equity. We don’t sit around in corporate-land thinking about just dashing shares away. We’re under no pressure, we have options and time. The point is, there’s a whole bunch of solutions. It isn’t that we’re going to issue a quarter of a billion dollars of shares for equity.”

On the new members of the team:

Per-Inge Kruse is heading up business development and strategic alliance. “He’s ripping into that at a rate of knots, I can tell you. We’ve been on the road already and we’re hitting the road again this weekend for a very exciting trip to some customers while here.”

Eva Nordmark, Mark says she’s very well connected and interested in the nation building part of what Talga is doing as well as the environment cleanup part.

For those that are thinking that a positive appeals decision will be brushed off by the market or the current shorts with 17.2m shorted, Mark once again stated that the finalisation of the permit “allows for the finalisation of the finance and the off takes, basically. Plus we’re looking at off takes for other products from silicon, to underwrite those things as well. We’ve obviously got a bigger focus on strategic partners now and government funding. So both of those things will be coming out as well.”

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

cosors

👀
A direct copy/paste of Gvan’s summary just posted at HC for anyone who doesn’t monitor it.

Too good not to share.

Amazing work Gvan.

Webinar Highlights​

Gvan
1,369 Posts.
01/02/24
fits better here than in the media thread because of MT words

"EIT InnoEnergy and Demeter launch €500m European
battery raw materials fund

18 January 2024, Davos: EIT InnoEnergy, the innovation engine for sustainable energy supported by the
European Institute of Innovation & Technology (EIT), a body of the European Union (EU), and
Demeter Investment Managers*, a major European private equity and venture capital firm; today
announced the launch of a fund dedicated to the development of a resilient and diverse battery raw
material supply chain for Europe.

With a target size of €500 million, the ‘EBA Strategic Battery Materials Fund’ (EBA Materials Fund or
the “Fund”) builds upon the success of the European Battery Alliance (EBA250) in its mission to create
a resilient European battery industry. The fund is launched amidst soaring European demand for
batteries which is exposing significant gaps in the upstream (mining, processing) of the EU’s battery
material supply chain. In line with the EU’s Critical Raw Materials Act (CRMA) requirements to
decrease the EU’s overreliance on foreign supply, the fund aims to boost domestic capacities for
strategic battery materials such as lithium, nickel, cobalt, manganese, and graphite.

Diego Pavia, CEO of EIT InnoEnergy said: “To secure a thriving and resilient European battery industry,
we must intensify our efforts in domestic battery raw materials production. While it’s encouraging to
see a growing list of ambitious initiatives and financial stimuli from public and private players, their
focus is typically on mature projects (post-Final Investment Decision). Yet these initiatives need a deal
flow of de-risked projects, and therefore we also need a focus on early-stage upstream projects
(scoping, PFS and DFS), committed to a sustainable, traceable and transparent battery materials
supply chain – and that’s exactly what the EBA Materials Fund will deliver.”

Demeter will act as fund manager, bringing its wealth of experience in greentech and infrastructure.
EIT InnoEnergy will tap into its sector heritage, evidenced by leadership of EBA250 since its inception
in 2017, along with broader early-stage investment expertise to identify and support risky projects.

Societe Generale will act as the exclusive financial advisor for the capital raising.

Commission Executive Vice-President Maroš Šefčovič in charge of the European Green Deal and the
European Battery Alliance said: “The battery industry is of strategic importance and a key
battleground for global competitiveness. Therefore, it is vital to continuously up our game, with
securing battery raw materials being the single biggest task ahead. Today’s innovative announcement
shows that we mean business – on both, boosting our domestic European capacities and bolstering
diversification via trade and cooperation with reliable partners. We need to be strategic, bold, agile.”

At least 70% of investments from the EBA Materials Fund will be dedicated to projects increasing EU
domestic production from mining, processing, refining and recycling in EU and neighbouring
countries. The remaining 30% will focus on increasing raw material supply from EU Raw Material
Partnership countries, such as Canada, Namibia, and Argentina.

The EBA Materials Fund will support projects in obtaining the highest environmental standards,
following the robust sustainability criteria set under the EU Battery Regulation on traceability,
sustainability and circularity, and other criteria which are currently being set under the CRMA. The
fund will have one of the highest ESG classifications as an Article 8 fund under the EU’s Sustainable
Finance Disclosure Regulation (SFDR).

Antoine Troesch, Managing Partner at Demeter, added: “Demeter is delighted to launch this initiative
together with EIT InnoEnergy, in a critical segment for European countries to succeed in energy and
ecological transition. Demeter will bring its recognized expertise in green investments and its
methodologies for ensuring those investments meet the highest ESG standards.”

ENDS

About EIT InnoEnergy
EIT InnoEnergy operates at the centre of the energy transition and is the leading innovation engine
in sustainable energy. It brings the technology, business model innovation and skills required to
accelerate the green deal, progress towards Europe’s decarbonisation and re-industrialisation goals,
whilst also improving energy security.

Recognised as Europe’s top Cleantech and Blue Economy venture capital firm and investor in 2023
by Startup Genome, one of Europe’s top 10 most active deeptech investors by Sifted in 2023 and the
most active investor in the energy sector in 2022 by Pitchbook, InnoEnergy backs innovations across
a range of areas.These include energy storage, transport and mobility, renewables, energy efficiency,
hard to abate industries, smart grids and sustainable buildings and cities.

InnoEnergy has a portfolio of more than 200 companies, which are estimated to generate €110
billion in revenue and save 2.1G tonnes of CO2e accumulatively by 2030. Collectively, these
companies have raised more than €9.7 billion in investment to date.

InnoEnergy is the driving force behind three strategic European initiatives which include the
European Battery Alliance (EBA), the European Green Hydrogen Acceleration Center (EGHAC) and
the European Solar Photovoltaic Industry Alliance (ESIA).

InnoEnergy was established in 2010 and is supported by the European Institute of Innovation and
Technology (EIT), a body of the European Union. Since its inception, InnoEnergy has screened more
than 7,000 start-ups, launched more than 300 products to market and overseen its portfolio
companies filing 370+ patents. Today, InnoEnergy has a trusted ecosystem of 1200+ partners and 35
shareholders and a 200+ strong team with offices across Europe and in Boston, US.
www.innoenergy.com

About Demeter
Demeter Investment Managers is a major European player in venture capital, private equity and
infrastructure investment in the field of energy and ecological transition. Its funds invest from 1 to
50 million euros to support companies in the sector at all stages of their development: innovative
startups, small and medium-sized enterprises, and infrastructure projects. The Demeter team
consists of 38 individuals based in Paris, Lyon, Bordeaux, Madrid and Düsseldorf. Managing 1.3 billion
euros, the team has executed 230 investments over 17 years.

Disclaimer
• This is a Marketing Material;
• This Fund is a project of Fund that will be managed by Demeter Investment Managers, a
Management Company authorized under AIFM Directive by the French Market Authority
under No. GP-05000027;
• This Fund is only open to Professional Investors within the meaning of Directive
2014/65/EU;
• This Fund invest mostly in non-listed companies meaning that the unitholders undertake a
liquidity risk: some assets held by the Fund may not be sold before a long time;
• This Fund entails a risk of loss in capital: you may or may not recover the full amount
invested in the Fund;
• The Fund is currently being pre-marketed and authorized to be pre-marketed in the
following jurisdictions: France, Germany, Austria, Spain, the Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, the
Republic of Ireland.

➢ Pursuant to EU Directive 2019/1160 and article D.214-32-4-1-1 of the French Monetary and
Financial Code:
➢ This information does not amount to an offer of placement or a
potential investment offer;
➢ The pre-marketing is carried out without:
➢ Providing the investor with sufficient information enabling him to make an
informed decision so as to invest in the Fund;
➢ No subscription form or definitive Fund by-laws are given to the investor;
➢ All documents including this press release should not be considered as an
offer or an invitation to subscribe to the Fund;
➢ The information provided hereafter may be varied by Demeter Investment
Managers and shall not be regarded as complete."
https://www.innoenergy.com/uploads/2024/01/EIT-InnoEnergy-and-Demeter-launch-E500m-European-battery-raw-materials-fund.pdf?_gl=1*zd99m*_ga*MTE2NTYzNjg4MS4xNzA2NzgyMzE0*_ga_PERJWSKHGL*MTcwNjc4MjMxNC4xLjEuMTcwNjc4MjU0OS42MC4wLjA.

https://www.eba250.com/eit-innoenergy-and-demeter-launch-e500m-european-battery-raw-materials-fund/

*Their portfolio also includes Verkor. I assume that this means that Demeter helped finance Verkor.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀

Too good not to share.

Amazing work Gvan.

Webinar Highlights​

Gvan
1,369 Posts.
01/02/24
Many thanks Gvan!

• Love

cosors

👀
Talga Strengthens Global Leadership
CEO Europe becomes Group CEO Battery materials and technology company Talga Group Ltd (“Talga” or “the Company”) (ASX:TLG) is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr Martin Phillips as Talga Group CEO, bolstering the Company’s leadership as it executes on its Vittangi Anode Project and advances expansion plans. To lead the Vittangi Anode Project execution phase and growth across the Company’s operations Mr Phillips, current CEO Europe and COO, will be appointed Talga Group CEO. Mr Phillips will be based at Talga’s Stockholm office and will report to the Talga Group Board of Directors. Mr Phillips will remain a Director of the Talga AB (Sweden) Board of Directors. Mr Mark Thompson, Talga’s founder, continues to serve as Managing Director and a Director of the Talga AB (Sweden) Board of Directors.
Talga Managing Director, Mark Thompson, commented: “The bolstering of our leadership comes at an exciting time for Talga, and sets a pathway for the Company to best execute on the Vittangi Anode Project and advance strategic expansion options. I very much look forward to continue working closely with Martin in our mission to enable the world’s most sustainable batteries through innovative graphitic materials.” Talga Non-Executive Chair, Terry Stinson, commented: “We are delighted to have Martin accept the new Group CEO role as we move to the execution phase of our European based battery anode business and drive expansion plans to support our growth ambitions. In this new role he will lead the continuing development of Talga’s global operations including our mine and refinery development in Sweden, battery technical centre in the UK and process development facilities in Germany. The Group CEO appointment supports our European leadership changes announced in December last year.” The Group CEO appointment follows the recent bolstering of Talga’s Swedish board and European executive team with the appointment of former Swedish Minister of Employment and Gender Equality, Eva Nordmark, as a Non-Executive Director of the Talga AB Board of Directors, the appointment of Per-Inge Kruse into the new role of Group Director of BD & Strategic Alliances, and the appointment of Dr Anna Motta to the role of Group CTO. In accordance with ASX Listing Rule 3.16.4, the material terms of Mr Phillips employment are detailed in the Appendix A to this announcement. Authorised for release by the Board of Directors of Talga Group Ltd.
https://talgagroup.eu-central-1.linodeobjects.com/app/uploads/2024/02/07070930/20240207TalgaBolsterGroupLeadership_ASX.pdf

So, from now on we should concentrate more on MP.

• Love

cosors

👀
05/03/2024 8:38 am
Becoming a substantial holder

Screenshot_2024-03-06-07-08-11-43_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

cosors

👀
I'm not very familiar with this.
I just read lending activities. It always takes two to short. One who lends and is prepared for his investment to be shorted and the shorter. I've often had the feeling with BRN that it's a single unit and that money is made from one hand to the other and in both directions.
In addition, Credite Suisse went bankrupt because of risky and dishonest business and was swallowed up by UBS. Switzerland has now created a monster that everyone agrees is too big for their country. UBS's total assets are 2½ times the size of Switzerland's entire gross domestic product (?). If this monster were to get into trouble, every country in Europe would be affected. But that's not my point.
I simply don't like reading such anns from WBT. Is this about shorting activities?
This maggots may they all burn in hell.

• Love

cosors

👀
Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
PDF:
Talga signs Altilium EV battery recycling JDA

A logical step to fulfil the requirements of the e.g. CRMA and make politicians happy. Talga has been working on this topic for a long time and many politicians talk about recycling first and mining second. We know that there has to be something to recycle first. And we know that it is very difficult to extract graphite from black mass. And then they have to find out what it can be used for. That takes time. I assume that this will be run in parallel to show that Talga is one of the first.
Don't get me wrong, I think that's very positive, but it doesn't really excite me. It's price-sensitive No but makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
PDF:
Talga signs Altilium EV battery recycling JDA

A logical step to fulfil the requirements of the e.g. CRMA and make politicians happy. Talga has been working on this topic for a long time and many politicians talk about recycling first and mining second. We know that there has to be something to recycle first. And we know that it is very difficult to extract graphite from black mass. And then they have to find out what it can be used for. That takes time. I assume that this will be run in parallel to show that Talga is one of the first.
Don't get me wrong, I think that's very positive, but it doesn't really excite me. It's price-sensitive No but makes perfect sense.
1712302384168.png

"Altilium, a UK-based clean technology group focused on supporting the transition to net zero, is pleased to announce a groundbreaking partnership with battery materials and technology company Talga Group Ltd, which will see the two companies working together to recover graphite from old EV batteries for reuse in the production of new battery anodes, embracing a circular economy and reducing the UK’s reliance on imported raw materials.

The collaboration marks a significant step towards securing a sustainable domestic source of graphite for the UK EV battery industry, and underscores both companies’ commitment to supplying automotive OEMs and battery manufacturers with low carbon battery materials.

Graphite is the largest single material in lithium-ion batteries, comprising up to 50% of a battery by volume. Altilium’s proprietary recycling process can recover over 99% of the graphite from end-of-life EV batteries, allowing these valuable resources to be returned to the supply chain, while Talga’s green anode production technology results in dramatically lower CO2 emissions from the making of EVs.

Under the agreement, the two companies will focus on optimising the recovery of graphite from battery waste to produce a battery-grade product for use in new anodes.

Until recently recycling of graphite was largely overlooked, with recyclers focused on reclaiming cathode metals from battery scrap. However, with a growing shortfall in graphite supply expected over the next decade and China (which refines over 90% of world’s graphite) recently announcing controls on exports, a shift towards self-sufficiency will be critical for the UK in order to meet the growing needs of new green industries.

According to forecasts by the Advanced Propulsion Centre, UK anode demand for graphite is forecast to reach 46,000 MT by 2027, growing to 95,000 MT by 2030. Altilium’s planned Teesside recycling plant will have capacity to recover 20,000 MT of graphite a year, enough to meet over 20% of UK demand by 2030.

Altilium is already recovering critical battery metals, including lithium, to produce cathode active materials (CAM) for direct reuse in the battery supply chain. With the recovery of graphite, the company will be able to recycle all the battery components, enabling full battery circularity.

1712302417488.png

Commenting on the partnership, Altilium President and COO Dr Christian Marston, said: “This breakthrough is a significant milestone in our journey towards a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly future for electric vehicle batteries. We look forward to working with Talga to build a domestic, sustainable supply chain for low carbon graphite in the UK and leading the shift towards self-sufficiency and energy security.”

Talga Group CEO Mr Martin Phillips added: “The need to secure a long-term, localised anode supply is crucial for the EV battery market. We are excited to work with Altilium in optimising the use of recycled graphite in active anode material to enable battery makers and automotive OEMs to reduce their CO2 footprint, and to support the industry’s end-of-life battery recycling targets.”

Altilium will supply Talga with graphite recovered from EV battery waste at its Battery Recycling Technology Centre (ACT 1) in Tavistock and new pilot plant in Plymouth (ACT 2), both in Devon. The 18,000-square-foot facility is scheduled to begin operations later in 2024, processing significant volumes of CAM and battery precursors for qualification with OEM’s and cell manufacturers.

Talga will use its patent pending chemical purification methods to generate high purity stock for the production of new anode active materials and also carry out testing of coin cell and single layer pouch cells. So far, testing of the recycled graphite has shown a good match to primary graphite in areas of purity and physio-chemical characteristics.

Altilium is also part of a recently announced £30m collaborative project backed by the Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC) and led by Nissan. Altilium is working with Nissan Technical Centre Europe (NTCE) to process waste from spent Nissan Leaf batteries and production scrap to recover the graphite for reuse in new anodes, as well as upcycling cathode metals to high nickel CAM.

About Altilium

Altilium is a UK-based clean tech group that will reshape the UK and European automotive supply chain by offering high volume, low carbon domestic sources of cathode and anode materials from recycling waste streams already in circulation, such as lithium scrap.

The company’s proprietary “EcoCathode” process converts end-of-life EV batteries and manufacturing scrap into domestic, sustainable, battery precursors, cathode active materials (CAM) and cathode precursor (pCAM) for direct reuse in new batteries.

Altilium’s first mini-commercial plant is currently under construction in Plymouth while its planned Teesside plant will be one of the largest EV battery recycling facilities in Europe. The plant will have the capacity to process scrap from over 150,000 EVs per year, producing 30,000 MT of CAM, enough to meet around 20% of the UK’s expected needs by 2030.

The company is backed by SQM Lithium Ventures, the corporate venture arm of the lithium business of Sociedad Quimica y Minera de Chile (SQM).

For more information go to www.altilium.tech"

It looks a bit more concrete to me.

• Fire
Top Bottom