Media

JoMo68

Regular
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
Love your new logo Cosors 🤗
Thank you! A bit of colour. But I have to get used to it first. I don't even recognise myself yet. I liked it straight away. Good idea from the designer. Incidentally, I also thought the simple one was brilliant. Simple and yet unique. I couldn't find another model. Especially with symbols, it's difficult to create something new. And here it fits what it has to do with synapses and neurones. Great!

• Love

cosors

👀
Jomo, I apologise for my inattention to you and all the other women among us. Actually, it would have been my or our job to congratulate you on this day. Personally, I did that in my environment, but I didn't thought about it here. My 'fault'.

Ok, your point was the inappropriate comment.
___
...new logo
I wanted to get it quickly before someone snapped it up and I would be the copycat (?).

Last edited:
  • Love
Thank you! A bit of colour. But I have to get used to it first. I don't even recognise myself yet. I liked it straight away. Good idea from the designer. Incidentally, I also thought the simple one was brilliant. Simple and yet unique. I couldn't find another model. Especially with symbols, it's difficult to create something new. And here it fits what it has to do with synapses and neurones. Great!
So you have an Orange fetish as well...........................what's in the water in your hemisphere ?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
So you have an Orange fetish as well...........................what's in the water in your hemisphere ?
The 'national colour' of our German's neighbours the Dutch is orange. And I don't think they've ever heard of the applicant. If I were to exclude all the colours that have been exploited somewhere and somehow in history by the wrong thing, then my life would be black and white, and even that would be denied to me.
It's an experiment because I'm fascinated by the content, not the colour.
I'm just as annoyed as you are by what this person is doing.
What if the colour of choice was green like the pastor who works intimately with the anti-miners and dresses in green, would you give up green?

Last edited:

beserk

Regular
I have dug into the news reports appearing in Swedish and Norwegian media about the Norwegian Fosen Sami Reindeer owners or State Employed Game Keepers jousting with the Giant trolls, the wind mills, dotted around the mountain meadows in south western Norway.

The Norwegian Government has offered the 30 families 7 Million NOK in total for their 1000 reindeer but paid yearly until 2043.

That is for the projected remaining 20 year life time of the wind mills.

So the deal is worth 7000 NOK per reindeer. So per Fosen Sami family that herd about 33.3 head, an income of in average 230 000 NOK per year. For 20 years. In a fell swoop nearly doubling their State subsidy based income. Cementing their position as the best paid State Employed Game Keepers in the world. I beleive.

I predict there will be wealthy Sami in the Fosen area driving around in brand new Tesla cars, naturally charged by green electricity generated locally from the wind mills in the near future. Green colonialism in its extreme. And benefitting the local reindeer owning Sami population.

That now are cutting their ties and setting the demonstrators in Oslo, including Greta, a drift. Oh, the irony.

The leader for the Demonstrators, that obviously does not own any reindeer, and will not benefit from the deal struck, reportedly broke down and cried in Court before being charged with occupying the Department of Energy in Oslo. And failing to pay the fines for disturbing the peace in a State owned building.

No wonder that the Fosen reindeer owning families of south western Norway are happy, the Government relieved, and the anti coalition of Greenies and militant Sami youth living in Oslo are very unhappy.

No worries

Beserk

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

JoMo68

Regular
Am I not a darling!? I only removed the orange for your sake 🤲 I don't want to be a thorn in the eye of anyone in our group 🤣
...as an experiment for now
I liked the orange! 😉

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

beserk

Regular
I would like to draw the attention of the good folks here at TSE to the other 'ur people' of the Arctic North, the Kväner or Lantalaiset.

We are the Finnish speaking settlers that colonised the river valleys from the mouths of Piteå, Luleå, Kalix and Torne rivers. We travelled up the rivers in boats summer time and by ski winter time.

I am a proud Kvän and we are many up in the North. A bit like the Fremen on Arrakis in the sci fi movies Dune 1 and 2. The Kvän have recently started to rock the boat much to the annoyance of the Sami.

A few example from the media and other sources recently namely the celebration of the official flag of the Kvän people in Kiruna Town Hall.

1000013763.jpg

Eva Kvist, that is holding the reindeer, is the newly elected representative for the Kvän people in the Renmarks kommittén. It was this committee that commissioned the report by the Luleå Technical University about the history of the land that Talma want to grab.

1710624083627.png

The Kvän people, my forefathers, co inhabited the Arctic Boreal landscape with the Sami and they depended on each other to survive.

That Eva, in the picture above, is holding a tame reindeer is not intended to entice more tourists to take photos, but to point to the fact that as late as in the late 1940 the Kvän people were major reindeer owners that kept reindeer on their plot of land.

In Tärendö lappby, Tärendö Sami village, the Kalla family's urheimat, by the end of the 1940ies there were 1192 resident reindeer, but only one (1) resident Sami family that took care of 26 reindeer. While the remaining 1166 head were divvied out to ninety three (93) Kvän families living in the area. That is 12.5 foster reindeer per household. That would mean that most Settler families in and around Tärendö were reindeer hustlers. Like the Kalla family was.

1710627083786.png

And indeed when I go back to the church records and look at the public data on estate inventories, that were carefully registered by the priest, at the passing of a local member of the congregation, including my forefathers, I find that they all owned reindeer.

Being a biologist and a Kvän, and knowing the facts about reindeer distribution in and around Tärendö, I can only lift my hat and nod sagely to the great Linneaus who in his wisdom gave the latin name Rangifer Tarendus to this animal. Tarendus, ie reindeer, from the Italian and Spanish Tarendo = Swedish Tärendö Q.E.D.;)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

JNRB

Regular
I would like to draw the attention of the good folks here at TSE to the other 'ur people' of the Arctic North, the Kväner or Lantalaiset.

We are the Finnish speaking settlers that colonised the river valleys from the mouths of Piteå, Luleå, Kalix and Torne rivers. We travelled up the rivers in boats summer time and by ski winter time.

I am a proud Kvän and we are many up in the North. A bit like the Fremen on Arrakis in the sci fi movies Dune 1 and 2. The Kvän have recently started to rock the boat much to the annoyance of the Sami.

A few example from the media and other sources recently namely the celebration of the official flag of the Kvän people in Kiruna Town Hall.

View attachment 59246

Eva Kvist, that is holding the reindeer, is the newly elected representative for the Kvän people in the Renmarks kommittén. It was this committee that commissioned the report by the Luleå Technical University about the history of the land that Talma want to grab.

View attachment 59247

The Kvän people, my forefathers, co inhabited the Arctic Boreal landscape with the Sami and they depended on each other to survive.

That Eva, in the picture, is holding a tame reindeer is not intended to entice more tourists to take photos, but to point out the fact that as late as in the late 1940 the Kvän people were major reindeer owners providing grazing lands for reindeer.

In Tärendö lappby, Tärendö Sami village, the Kalla family's urheimat, in 1940 there were 1192 reindeer, and one (1) Sami family that took care of 26 reindeer. While the remaining 1166 head were divvied out to ninety three (93) Kvän families living in the area. That is 12.5 foster reindeer per Kvän household. That would mean that most settler families in and around Tärendö were reindeer hustlers. Like the Kalla family was.

View attachment 59250

And indeed when I go back to the church records and look at the public estate inventory of several generations of Kalla settlers I find that they all owned reindeer.

Being a biologist and a Kvän, and knowing the facts about reindeer distribution in and around Tärendö, I can only lift my hat and nod sagely to the great Linneaus who in his wisdom gave the latin name Rangifer Tarendus to this animal. Tarendus, ie reindeer, from the Italian and Spanish Tarendo = Swedish Tärendö Q.E.D.;)
Thanks for that interesting insight @beserk
Prompted me to go and so a little more reading. I guess the Kvan are the namesakes of this bad-ass looking Swedish tank?

cosors

👀

View attachment 59246

View attachment 59247

That Eva, in the picture above, is holding a tame reindeer is not intended to entice more tourists to take photos, but to point to the fact that as late as in the late 1940 the Kvän people were major reindeer owners that kept reindeer on their plot of land.

In Tärendö lappby, Tärendö Sami village, the Kalla family's urheimat, by the end of the 1940ies there were 1192 resident reindeer, but only one (1) resident Sami family that took care of 26 reindeer. While the remaining 1166 head were divvied out to ninety three (93) Kvän families living in the area. That is 12.5 foster reindeer per household. That would mean that most Settler families in and around Tärendö were reindeer hustlers. Like the Kalla family was.

View attachment 59250

And indeed when I go back to the church records and look at the public data on estate inventories, that were carefully registered by the priest, at the passing of a local member of the congregation, including my forefathers, I find that they all owned reindeer.

Perhaps you should be careful who you talk to about your findings on site at your trip? Of course I cannot fully grasp the meaning of what you are explaining, you are the expert, but it seems to me that it maybe contains some 'explosives'.

Incidentally, one of our ancestors was supposedly a head gardener for Linné's botanical garden. We still have a very valuable book by him. He was a real giant of research.
And look, maybe a descendant of Linné was at an ice race near Lulea:
1710668477013.png

Former municipal councillor Niklas Nordström (centre) welcomed Bram Smallenbroek (to the right in the picture) and the Dutch skating competitions to Luleå in 2017. Also pictured is the cold expert Anders Linné.

Last edited:

beserk

Regular
Perhaps you should be careful who you talk to about your findings on site at your trip? Of course I cannot fully grasp the meaning of what you are explaining, you are the expert, but it seems to me that it maybe contains some 'explosives'.

Incidentally, one of our ancestors was supposedly a head gardener for Linné's botanical garden. We still have a very valuable book by him. He was a real giant of research.
And look, maybe a descendant of Linné was at an ice race near Lulea:
View attachment 59263
Former municipal councillor Niklas Nordström (centre) welcomed Bram Smallenbroek (to the right in the picture) and the Dutch skating competitions to Luleå in 2017. Also pictured is the cold expert Anders Linné.
Cosors

Interesting news report about the Dutch ice skaters whizzing around the 7 km skating track on the sea ice surrounding Luleå city Center winter time. My brothers favourite excercise this time of year is for him to take his kick sledge, a spark, around Luleå on a sunny afternoon at dusk around 4 pm.

A clarification regarding the evolving historical ownership of the reindeer in Tarendo aka Tärendö Sami village. This is an area well below the Cultivation border and thus originally after this Border was drawn not intended for year around grazing by reindeer. And that is for multiple reasons.

1) The Arctic boreal biotope which covers the area of Tärendö Sami village is a continuation of the Russian Arctic Taiga. This is one of the largest contigious forested areas in the world. It stretches from the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Japan in the East to the Sea of Norway in the North Atlantic in the west. However this land can only support a limited number of hardy, slow growing, species of plants, lichens and fungi.

2) The harvesting of natural resources from these areas, through grazing of domesticated animals, must be carefully regulated since the plants, lichens and fungi take a long time to grow back.

3) That is why only a limited number of head of reindeer can be allowed per hectare of land.

And that is also the reason the reindeer foster/feeding system developed among the Settler families aka Kväns. Each settler family owning the required lands that could support a smaller number of grazing reindeer.

In case of Tärendö, 93 Settler families keeping 12.5 reindeer on a land holding of a few hectares each. Also there was a bartering system in place between the Sami and the Kvän such that the Settler family looking after the Sami reindeer got paid in reindeer calves for services rendered.

So the Kvän family as the year progressed got to own a small number of reindeer outright.

This system was beneficial to both Sami and Settler.

The Sami could keep a small managable herd of 26 reindeer for himself on his land holding, while claiming ownership to a total herd of more than a 1000 head.

The settler got the milk year around and the meat and the reindeer skins when the herd was rounded up by the single reineer herder in the Tarendo district once a year. And got to keep the occassional reindeer calf for himself.

Overlappning with this fostering/bartering system between the Sami and the Kvän was the gradual introduction of Government law that gave Sami villages and Sami reindeer herders the exclusive right to own reindeer. The Kvän or Settler families ownership of reindeer was overlooked during this stage. Which led to the present day antagonism between Sami v Kvän, Settlers.

There still are Settler families, or Kvän families, in the Tarendo area, that keep a few reindeer in their back paddock. The reindeer continue to thrive in this Arctic Boreal landscape, as they have been, since the ice retreated 8 000 years ago.

The number of reindeer was regulated naturally by predation by wolves, wolverines and bear. And the availability of feed.

The Sami started increasing the number of reindeer by killing of the predators, and directing the herds migratory patterns to areas that could sustain a larger number of head.The boom and bust cycles of Sami building up large herds of reindeer that the fragile Arctic ecosystem couldn't carry is a reoccurring theme.

Thus putting themselves on a path that inevitably led to conflicts and direct impacts on the livelihoods of farming communities in the river valleys. And the fragile Arctic eco systems. Leading to further Government intervention.

Hope this helps. This is my understanding of how we have arrived at the situation today with competing natural resource claims by Talga + Kvän v Talma on the land in the Arctic 'Bermuda triangle' delimited by the Cultivation Border and the confluence of the Vittangi and Torne rivers.

No worries

Beserk

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀

"Five key takeaways from Giga Europe 2024​

1711022786814.png

Europe, like much of the world, is at a key point in the green transition with batteries being a key enabling technology. Policies made today will impact both the supply and demand of the critical minerals needed out into the next decade.

Delegates of Benchmark’s Giga Europe 2024 event converged on Stockholm, Sweden last week to discuss the state-of-play, and future, of Europe’s lithium ion battery industry.

“We have done great things together but we have to do more,” Maroš Šefčovič, the vice president of the European Commission, told attendees. “For that we must continue our cooperation and work together to find innovative solutions to the challenges we face.”

Here, Benchmark Source outlines five key takeaways from the event.

1. Critical minerals are still at the top of battery makers’ agendas​

With battery demand increasing, the capacity of gigafactories in Europe is set to keep rising from 135 gigawatt-hours in 2023 to 1.3 terawatt-hours in 2030, according to Benchmark’s Gigafactory Assessment, with critical mineral demand following suit.

“That’s the revolution we are facing not just to create the batteries but of course the critical raw materials as well because half of the bill of material of a battery is from raw materials,” Dennis van Schie, chief supply chain officer at Northvolt, said.

Supply of these raw materials is currently inadequate to match future European demand even if the markets are relatively balanced in the near term.

1711022805506.png

“We know this wave of demand is coming and while supplies are adequate now, as we reduce those investments and reduce that future pipeline, we’re creating future periods of volatility,” Caspar Rawles, chief data officer at Benchmark, said.

2. Europe needs to face up to ESG and geopolitical risks​

Currently, much of the supply of critical raw materials is dependent on China. Although the country doesn’t dominate in the mining of these minerals, the world relies on Chinese supplies of processed minerals.

Similarly, upstream supply of minerals such as cobalt and nickel are highly dependent on the Democratic Republic of Congo and Indonesia, respectively.

Dependence on any one country for minerals exposes Europe to greater supply and geopolitical risks, especially if that country is not aligned with Europe’s policy goals. As such, cooperation with allies will be key to developing secure supply chains.

“We keep collaborating, identifying opportunities, sharing our expertise, interchanging people so we can identify the most efficient ways of extracting critical metals,” John Langoulant, Agent General of the Government of Western Australia, said.

Martin Philips, the chief executive of Talga, emphasised the importance of developing a sustainable supply chain. “I would challenge the gigafactory procurement teams to show how to […] start to move towards a more sustainable, more ethical supply chain,” he said.

3. Permitting needs reform​

It is no secret that permitting for mines and processing facilities in Europe is slow, a point repeatedly emphasised during the event.

“Decisions are quite decentralised,” Ebba Busch, deputy prime minister of Sweden, said. “So you have to have permits from very many different parts of society, which makes the decision making quite lengthy, slow and unpredictable.”
1711022845614.png

Whilst it is imperative that concerns from local communities are listened to and acted upon, Alban Letailleur, business director for lithium at Imerys, said local opposition is a “key bottleneck”.

To tackle this, Europe’s Critical Raw Materials Act (CRMA) aims to reduce the total duration of the permit granting process to 27 months or fewer for extraction projects, or 15 months for processing recycling projects.

4. Europe needs more investment and finance​

Peter Handley, head of the unit for energy-intensive industries and raw materials at the European Commission, said that the key to building out the supply chain was to encourage the downstream to invest into upstream projects.

“If the mid and downstream companies are not there, ready to invest in such projects then those projects will be taken by others,” he said. “The mid and downstream need to be looking upwards.”
1711022880540.png

Some delegates contrasted the finance scene in Europe to that of the US which is relatively simple thanks to the clear tax incentives included in the Inflation Reduction Act and the faster decision making of loan programs such as that from the Department of Energy.

“The US is clearly well ahead of Europe,” Paul Betts, managing director of RBC Capital Markets, said. “I think there’s a reform going on and I hope Europe follows suit.”

However, Minister Busch didn’t believe the EU should necessarily take this approach, saying the state should act more as a “catalyst or an accelerator for the green transition.”

5. Europe’s policies are sending the right signals​

Delegates at Giga Europe 2024 were, on the whole, positive about the policy direction of the EU.

Giorgio Corbetta, EU affairs director at Eurobat, praised the new policies. “There’s a lot of good pieces of legislation that we have at our disposal now,” he said. “We should leverage [these] to continue helping the European Union assert itself as the climate action champion.”

Much of Europe’s policy includes targets relating to recycling. Panellists at the event debated whether they were ambitious enough, but all agreed they were a good start.

“I think [the regulations] are giving the kick on recycling, pushing investment, and developing capacities,” Daphne Peres, lead buyer of battery raw materials at the Volvo Group, said.

Minister Busch summarised the sentiment saying “The EU is walking in the right direction but our value chains must become more secure.”

Giga USA 2024​

Like Europe, the US is deploying policy to encourage the build out of its battery industry and associated supply chains. Join us in Washington DC 11-13 June 2024 for Giga USA where we will dive into the battery supply chains of the US."
1711022923250.png

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 10 users

Gero

Regular
1711026573763.png

• Thinking
Reactions: 6 users

anodepirate

Emerged
View attachment 59654

Strange, that seems like a positive message. I thought she was the lawyer for the protesting activists... or am I missing something here? The CRMA clearly doesn't benefit these activists, right?

• Thinking

cosors

👀
Strange, that seems like a positive message. I thought she was the lawyer for the protesting activists... or am I missing something here? The CRMA clearly doesn't benefit these activists, right?
No missing. She is.
And whether the activities benefit from this is a matter of perspective. I say of course everyone benefits because it is good for development against climate change. If someone represents ego or NIMBY interests, then it could be negative. Difficult topic for some. Not for me.

Reactions: 5 users

beserk

Regular
Yes the CRMA can only benefit the pro side of the argument cutting down the total duration of the permit granting process to 27 months or less, or 15 months for processing/ recycling projects.

CRMA when it is valid, after being published in about two weeks from now, will cover the whole of EU, which finally will operate as one in the extraction and processing of critical raw materials. Of course a Swedish Minister can't officially say that she is happy about Sweden divulging power to the EU.

But I am sure that the Deputy Prime Minister likewise Minister for Business and Industry is positively jumping for Joy.

And the Orange coloured lobbyist will now take the less travelled path leading to Brussels and to the Strasbourg ECtHR Court. Oh well, will pay for travel, stay, and living it up in a major European population centre. For years to come.

I can see why she is looking at it through orange tinted glasses and smiling for the camera.

No worries

Beserk

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
Giga USA 2024
Like Europe, the US is deploying policy to encourage the build out of its battery industry and associated supply chains. Join us in Washington DC 11-13 June 2024 for Giga USA where we will dive into the battery supply chains of the US."
View attachment 59647
Will Talga also take part in the GiGA USA 2024? Maybe not as speaker but to be visual present would make sense? Or 100% focus on the EU in the first round?
What do you think?

cosors

👀

cosors

👀
Reactions: 4 users
Top Bottom