BRN - NASA

TechGirl

Founding Member
New thread for all things NASA & other Space companies / connections - please help me out & add any old or new Space info :)

www.techport.nasa.gov/view/102580
TechPort NASA

Small Business Innovation Research/Small Business Tech Transfer

CNN RNN Processor, Phase I​

Completed Technology Project

CNN RNN Processor, Phase I​

PDF

Project Introduction​

The ultimate goal of this project is to create a radiation-hardened Neural Network suitable for Ede use. Neural Networks operating at the Edge will need to perform Continuous Learning and Few-shot/One-shot Learning with very low energy requirements, as will NN operation. Spiking Neural Networks (SNNs) provide the architectural framework to enable Edge operation and Continuous Learning. SNNs are event-driven and represent events as a spike or a train of spikes. Because of the sparsity of their data representation, the amount of processing Neural Networks need to do for the same stimulus can be significantly less than conventional Convolutional Neural Networks (CNNs), much like a human brain. To function in Space and in other extreme Edge environments, Neural Networks, including SNNs, must be made rad-hard.

Brainchip’s Akida Event Domain Neural Processor (www.brainchipinc.com) offers native support for SNNs. Brainchip has been able to drive power consumption down to about 3 pJ per synaptic operation in their 28nm Si implementation. The Akida Development Environment (ADE) uses industry-standard development tools Tensorflow and Keras to allow easy simulation of its IP.

Phase I is the first step towards creating radiation-hardened Edge AI capability. We plan to use the Akida Neural Processor architecture and, in Phase I, will:
  1. Understand the operation of Brainchip’s IP
  2. Understand 28nm instantiation of that IP (Akida)
  3. Evaluate radiation vulnerability of different parts of the IP through the Akida Development Environment
  4. Define architecture of target IC
  5. Define how HARDSIL® will be used to harden each chosen IP block
  6. Choose a target CMOS node (likely 28nm) and create a plan to design and fabricate the IC in that node, including defining the HARDSIL® process modules for this baseline process
  7. Define the radiation testing plan to establish the radiation robustness of the IC

Successfully accomplishing these objectives:
  • Establishes the feasibility of creating a useful, radiation-hardened product IC with embedded NPU and already-existing supporting software ecosystem to allow rapid adoption and productive use within NASA and the Space community.
  • \n
\n\n
  • \n\t
  • Creates the basis for an executable Phase II proposal and path towards fabrication of the processor.
  • \n
\n

« Less

Anticipated Benefits​

NASA applications will include miniaturized instruments and subsystems that must operate in harsh environments, interplanetary CubeSats and SmallSats, instruments bound for outer planets and heliophysics missions to harsh radiation environments. Neural-network and machine learning capabilities are required for robotic vision, navigation, communication, observation and system health management in future autonomous robotic systems.
The greatest potential for the next computing revolution lies in scaling AI to the billions of smaller, power-constrained Edge devices, while making them Rad-Hard. Innovative signal processing and ML techniques will open up new opportunities for SoC architects to deliver new levels of efficient AI performance in microcontrollers targeted at both the space and terrestrial markets.

Primary U.S. Work Locations and Key Partners​

Organizations Performing WorkRoleTypeLocation
Silicon Space Technology CorporationLead OrganizationIndustryAustin, Texas
Supporting organization dot
Ames Research Center (ARC)
Supporting OrganizationNASA CenterMoffett Field, California

Reactions: 42 users

TechGirl

Founding Member
www.techport.nasa.gov/view/103038

TechPort NASA

Scalable Neural Net and Neuromorphic Module for In-Space Autonomous Orientation and Maneuvering, Phase I​

Project Introduction​

Tensor, along with several commercial partners, is developing new technology suitable for small satellites (SmallSat/CubeSat) and small launch vehicles. As part of this development, we are designing autonomy and artificial cognition capabilities for small scale satellites and vehicles that will be scalable to any space vehicle. Taking advantage of our previous experience in the areas of neural modelling and advanced automation algorithms we are proposing a deep neural net and in-space autonomy and cognition systems neuromorphic processing module for this solicitation. Using the COTS The BrainChip, Inc. Akida with fully configurable neural processing cores and scalable neural nets, we can design autonomy and artificial cognition capabilities for our prototype CubeSat that will be scalable to any space vehicle. The overarching goal is to make spacecraft autonomy affordable and ubiquitous.

For Phase I of this SBIR, we intend to develop a neuromorphic-based modular architecture suitable for SmallSat autonomous operation and create metrics to validate the SWaP performance of our hardware design in Phase II. As with any hardware, the driving cost factor is often the software that makes it useful. In AI systems, the cost of the deep learning needed to provide robust, adaptable performance is often prohibitive.
In addition to a modular hardware design, Tensor will also design a cost effective, user-friendly suite of tools to support simplified training and implementation of spacecraft autonomy during Phase I for development and application during Phase II. It is our goal in Phase II of this SBIR to demonstrate an affordable package of prototype autonomous control hardware and software that is scalable and readily adaptable to a variety of spacecraft morphologies and mission classes.
« Less

Anticipated Benefits​

The possibilities and applications are practically limitless across a spectrum of mission types. Short list of the possibilities: Predictive and adaptive communications, radio, and system architecture, Opportunistic data collection, Continuous power allocation, Predictive failure/error detection, maintenance, mediation, and mitigation, Mission decision prioritization,Spacecraft constellation active collaboration optimizing, Continuous allocation optimization of system resources, Optimized integration of navigation, situation awareness, etc.

Our commercialization plan includes continuing development for the neuromorphic autonomous module for insertion into several commercial small launcher programs now and in the future. We will also apply the technology developed to other military applications with groups such as MDA, DARPA and USAF. The system will be available as a “plug and play module” for all future spacecraft.

Primary U.S. Work Locations and Key Partners​

Organizations Performing WorkRoleTypeLocation
Tensor Innovation Partners, LLCLead OrganizationIndustryLongwood, Florida
Supporting organization dot
Glenn Research Center (GRC)
Supporting OrganizationNASA CenterCleveland, Ohio

Primary U.S. Work Locations​

• Florida
  • Ohio

• Fire
Reactions: 24 users

TechGirl

Founding Member
Rob Telson Likes This

nasa rob telson likes.png

Reactions: 30 users

TechGirl

Founding Member
Stole this off BlueAnt from HC thread

(Below translated from Greek)

NASA: Bought software from the University of Thrace for its space flights Software developed at the Democritus University of Thrace (DUTH) was purchased by NASA and used in space flight.

Software developed at the Democritus University of Thrace (DUTH) was purchased by NASA and used in space flight.

Intelligent software
This is the intelligent Akida software, which was developed at DUTH.

As noted by foititikanea.gr, the neuromorphic Akida chip made by Brainchip Holdings USA, with the significant contribution of the Laboratory of Mathematics and Informatics of the Department of Civil Engineering of DUTH, where its intelligent software was developed (Professor Lazaros H , and postdoctoral researcher Dr. Konstantinos Demertzis) was purchased and used by NASA on spaceflight.

This is a cooperation program of Brainchip with the company VORAGO and with NASA for the control of space flights with the Akida chip.

In space flights
The Laboratory of Mathematics and Informatics of the Department of Civil Engineering of DUTH. has contributed to the development of the Aikida neuromorphic chip now used in space flight control by providing the required security software.

According to Brainchip Holdings, "the Akida neuromorphic processor is suitable for space flight and aerospace applications.

"The device is a complete neuron processor and does not require an external Central Processing Unit (CPU), memory or Deep Learning Accelerator."

• Love
Reactions: 31 users

TechGirl

Founding Member
www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200902005406/en/BrainChip-VORAGO-Technologies-Agree-Collaborate-Akida-Early

BrainChip and VORAGO Technologies Agree to Collaborate through the Akida Early Access Program

Agreement to Support Phase I of NASA Program for Radiation-Hardened Neuromorphic Processor

September 02, 2020 08:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time

ALISO VIEJO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BrainChip Holdings Ltd (ASX: BRN), a leading provider of ultra-low power high performance AI technology, today announced that VORAGO Technologies has signed the Akida™ Early Access Program Agreement. The collaboration is intended to support a Phase I NASA program for a neuromorphic processor that meets spaceflight requirements. The BrainChip Early Access Program is available to a select group of customers that require early access to the Akida device, evaluation boards and dedicated support. The EAP agreement includes payments that are intended to offset the Company’s expenses to support partner needs.

“We are both excited and proud to participate in this Phase I program with VORAGO Technologies and support NASA’s desire to leverage neuromorphic computing in spaceflight applications. The combination of benefits from the Akida neuromorphic processor and a radiation-hardened process brings significant new capabilities to spaceflight and aerospace applications”
Tweet this

The Akida neuromorphic processor is uniquely suited for spaceflight and aerospace applications. The device is a complete neural processor and does not require an external CPU, memory or Deep Learning Accelerator (DLA). Reducing component count, size and power consumption are paramount concerns in spaceflight and aerospace applications. The level of integration and ultra-low power performance of Akida supports these critical criteria. Additionally, Akida provides incremental learning. With incremental learning, new classifiers can be added to the network without retraining the entire network. The benefit in spaceflight and aerospace applications is significant as real-time local incremental learning allows continuous operation when new discoveries or circumstances occur.

VORAGO Technologies is a privately held, high technology company based in Austin, Texas with over 15 years of experience in providing radiation-hardened and extreme-temperature solutions for the Hi-reliability marketplace, and recognized as one of Inc 5000’s Fastest Growing Private Companies in America. VORAGO’s patented HARDSIL® technology uses cost-effective high-volume manufacturing to harden any commercially designed semiconductor component for extreme environment operation, and has created a number of solutions throughout Aerospace, Defense and Industrial applications. VORAGO Technologies opens up a new world of possibilities for customer designs, no matter how hostile the environment. www.voragotech.com

Louis DiNardo, BrainChip CEO commented, “We are both excited and proud to participate in this Phase I program with VORAGO Technologies and support NASA’s desire to leverage neuromorphic computing in spaceflight applications. The combination of benefits from the Akida neuromorphic processor and a radiation-hardened process brings significant new capabilities to spaceflight and aerospace applications”.
Bernd Lienhard, VORAGO CEO added, “We are thrilled and honored to partner with BrainChip to harness the radiation hardening capabilities of our patented HARDSIL® technology for the Phase I program with NASA. Our ongoing mission of creating components with increased availability and unmatched solutions in aerospace and defense applications paired with the Akida neuromorphic processor will create unprecedented standards moving forward in the industry.”

About Brainchip Holdings Ltd (ASX: BRN)
BrainChip is a global technology company that is producing a groundbreaking neuromorphic processor that brings artificial intelligence to the edge in a way that is beyond the capabilities of other products. The chip is high performance, small, ultra-low power and enables a wide array of edge capabilities that include on-chip training, learning and inference. The event-based neural network processor is inspired by the spiking nature of the human brain and is implemented in an industry standard digital process. By mimicking brain processing BrainChip has pioneered a processing architecture, called Akida™, which is both scalable and flexible to address the requirements in edge devices. At the edge, sensor inputs are analyzed at the point of acquisition rather than through transmission via the cloud to a data center. Akida is designed to provide a complete ultra-low power and fast AI Edge Network for vision, audio, olfactory and smart transducer applications. The reduction in system latency provides faster response and a more power efficient system that can reduce the large carbon footprint of data centers.

About VORAGO
VORAGO Technologies is a privately held, high technology company based in Austin, Texas with over 15 years of experience in providing radiation-hardened and extreme-temperature solutions for the Hi-rel marketplace. VORAGO's patented HARDSIL® technology uses cost-effective high-volume manufacturing to harden any commercially designed semiconductor component for extreme environment operation, and has created a number of solutions throughout Aerospace, Defense and Industrial applications. VORAGO Technologies opens up a new world of possibilities for your designs, no matter how hostile the environment. www.voragotech.com

Additional information is available at https://www.brainchipinc.com
Follow BrainChip on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/BrainChip_inc
Follow BrainChip on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/7792006

TechGirl

Founding Member
Stolen from rayz on HC / 2.8.2021

TOM PIOTROWSKI & PVDM Interview

Transcript confirms NASA Company interim CEO PVDM

https://www.commsec.com.au/market-news/executive-series/2021/brainchip-holdings-brn.html

TOM PIOTROWSKI: In another headline that got everyone's attention was when you struck up a relationship with NASA.

PETER VAN DER MADE: Yes.

TOM PIOTROWSKI: That is quite the coup. Tell me about the benefits and how that relationship is going at the moment.

PETER VAN DER MADE: The relationship is really, really good. Of course, it's a constant conversation with NASA. They have one of our systems of the Akida engineering samples that we had earlier this year. They have been playing with it.
They are very excited about the technology, which is great that NASA is validating our technology. It's a great validation of what we have been doing. And the fact that they are excited about the technology is great.

Reactions: 18 users

TechGirl

Founding Member
Stolen from stan9614 from HC / 18.12.2020

stan1.png

stan2.png

Reactions: 20 users

TechGirl

Founding Member
NASA places order under EAP / 23.12.2020

brainchip NASA eap.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
D

Deleted member 118

I like this page 👌

Reactions: 11 users

AusEire

Founding Member. It's ok to say No to Dot Joining
I like this page 👌
This one is for you mate 🤪 Lol I won't have to go relaying posts anymore 😂

Reactions: 7 users
D

Deleted member 118

Reactions: 8 users
D

Deleted member 118

So as my friend AusEire has been posting on my behalf on HC regarding NASA, I thought I’d post some things I’ve found interesting while using the Nasa portal. Even if I’m 20% correct that it might and could be including Akida. I’ll let you decide.

https://techport.nasa.gov/file/91447

https://techport.nasa.gov/file/94328

https://techport.nasa.gov/view/103134

https://techport.nasa.gov/view/96769

https://techport.nasa.gov/view/102449#stage

https://techport.nasa.gov/view/102805

https://techport.nasa.gov/view/102715

https://techport.nasa.gov/datasheet/96409

https://techport.nasa.gov/view/96905

https://techport.nasa.gov/view/103018

https://techport.nasa.gov/view/102661

https://techport.nasa.gov/datasheet/96373

I probably have 1/2 dozen more and will post em soon.

• Love

KMuzza

Mad Scientist
Wow- and yes ‘JAST’ waiting for another slip of the mind from our respected founder Anil M-whilst being interviewed by Miss Anastasia to let the cat out the bag whilst consulting with NASA.👍😁🥱🥱😏😏😏
Maybe - even better a full disclosure by CEO Sean H , in the next podcast👍😏😏😁😁

Reactions: 14 users
D

Deleted member 118

Here’s a few more of interest, but I’ve started keeping an eye on phase 3 projects now NASA have been experimenting with Akida for some time now and will post any findings

D

Deleted member 118

Reactions: 15 users
D

Deleted member 118

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 users

Labsy

Regular
Stole this off BlueAnt from HC thread

(Below translated from Greek)

NASA: Bought software from the University of Thrace for its space flights Software developed at the Democritus University of Thrace (DUTH) was purchased by NASA and used in space flight.

Software developed at the Democritus University of Thrace (DUTH) was purchased by NASA and used in space flight.

Intelligent software
This is the intelligent Akida software, which was developed at DUTH.

As noted by foititikanea.gr, the neuromorphic Akida chip made by Brainchip Holdings USA, with the significant contribution of the Laboratory of Mathematics and Informatics of the Department of Civil Engineering of DUTH, where its intelligent software was developed (Professor Lazaros H , and postdoctoral researcher Dr. Konstantinos Demertzis) was purchased and used by NASA on spaceflight.

This is a cooperation program of Brainchip with the company VORAGO and with NASA for the control of space flights with the Akida chip.

In space flights
The Laboratory of Mathematics and Informatics of the Department of Civil Engineering of DUTH. has contributed to the development of the Aikida neuromorphic chip now used in space flight control by providing the required security software.

According to Brainchip Holdings, "the Akida neuromorphic processor is suitable for space flight and aerospace applications.

"The device is a complete neuron processor and does not require an external Central Processing Unit (CPU), memory or Deep Learning Accelerator."
Let that sink in guys..."does not need an external CPU, memory or Deep Learning Accelerator"...
Wow... revolutionary...

Reactions: 21 users
D

Deleted member 118

Reactions: 8 users
D

Deleted member 118

Reactions: 11 users
D

Deleted member 118

Reactions: 10 users
Top Bottom