BRN Discussion Ongoing

TheFunkMachine

seeds have the potential to become trees.
3172C70D-F3D2-45B6-AC3A-D139C63C1544.jpeg

I’m sure this has been posted before as Tony D. addressed in an email they what was previously released by Teksun was not approved and that what was showing on their partners page now is approved.

Nothing new here, but it is still sexy seeing someone other than Brainchip endorse their success in the tech industry. Just a thought, these three companies listed has specifically been listed as instruction by Brainchip. Arm, Mercedes and Renasas. Renasas has recently announced their new chip built on Akida IP to be released this year. Arm has recently announced compatibility and intigration of Akida IP with their M85 processor. Is Merceds going to announce something next? Probably not, but it would be very timely :)

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 36 users

TheFunkMachine

seeds have the potential to become trees.
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/gara...3-5qL2?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_ios

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/gara...3-5qL2?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_ios

Has anyone looked into this chip at all? Seems to be another ultra low power chip for the AIOT market claiming it can run small iot devices for years on a coin battery.

I can’t read anything specific in their architecture that would relate to us so assuming it’s a competitive chip. (Not that I’m worried)

But would be interesting hearing people thoughts.

Also Brainchip is mentioned in this post regarding old factory sensing for the medical industry so that always fun:)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Diogenese

Top 20

Has anyone looked into this chip at all? Seems to be another ultra low power chip for the AIOT market claiming it can run small iot devices for years on a coin battery.

I can’t read anything specific in their architecture that would relate to us so assuming it’s a competitive chip. (Not that I’m worried)

But would be interesting hearing people thoughts.

Also Brainchip is mentioned in this post regarding old factory sensing for the medical industry so that always fun:)

Not us:

https://www.ambientscientific.ai/technology.html

Optimized for On-device Inference and Training​

• High MAC count: The DigAn matrix compute-engine in our AI core is optimized to quickly execute MAC operations in neural networks.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 10 users

Violin1

Regular
That'ud be your "patio secretum saepes"
Hear about the two five year olds chatting away? One said "do you know whaaat? We found a used condom on our patio this morning!". The other kid said "what's a patio?"

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

Slade

Top 20

No. 1: Neuromorphic computing​

• A critical enabler, neuromorphic computing provides a mechanism to more accurately model the operation of a biological brain using digital or analog processing techniques.
  • It will take three to six years to cross over from early-adopter status to early majority adoption.
  • Neuromorphic computing will have a substantial impact on existing products and markets.
Neuromorphic computing systems simplify product development, enabling product leaders to develop AI systems that can better respond to the unpredictability of the real world. Their autonomous capabilities quickly react to real-time events and information, and will form the basis of a wide range of future AI-based products. Early use cases include event detection, pattern recognition and small dataset training.
We expect breakthrough neuromorphic devices by the end of 2023, but it will likely take five years for these devices to reach early majority adoption.
The impact is likely to be significant, though, as neuromorphic computing is expected to disrupt many of the current AI technology developments, delivering power savings and performance benefits not achievable with current generations of AI chips.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users

dippY22

Regular
Wonderful reporting. Very excited for the 2023 AGM for some reason.

One thing that continues to puzzle me is that although every job posting has "hearing aids" listed as a key product area for Brainchip, and of course reference to hearing aids is on our website, too, I have heard NOTHING (pun intended) about this potential product line in any Brainchip announcement or 1,000 eyes research, at least recently, although I may have missed it of course.

This area is a huge and growing market and most certainly fits the edge device profile to a "T". There has got to be something going on in this product area wouldn't you think?

Although I've trolled around in the websites of some of the leading manufactures my sleuthing skills pale in comparison to many on the TSE, and I have found zero connections to Brainchip.

Still, and yet,........Brainchip job postings continue to say specifically hearing aids. Why?

Regards, dippY

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 30 users
Does anyone know if the AGM will be broadcast on the Web or recorded? I live overseas and can't tavel ATM due to family commitments.

Reactions: 6 users

SERA2g

Founding Member
And he follows Brainchip on LinkedIn
Jason knows brainchip well. I’m in a discord channel he oversees with a few others which is all about neuromorphic computing. They, including Jason, trash talk akida and brainchip all the time. It is mostly because they don’t like investors spruiking it all over social media.

They talk about Loihi a lot, they’re researchers for the most part so I think it’s more so to do with availability of data sets etc but I could be wrong.

Reactions: 22 users

GStocks123

Regular
Wonderful reporting. Very excited for the 2023 AGM for some reason.

One thing that continues to puzzle me is that although every job posting has "hearing aids" listed as a key product area for Brainchip, and of course reference to hearing aids is on our website, too, I have heard NOTHING (pun intended) about this potential product line in any Brainchip announcement or 1,000 eyes research, at least recently, although I may have missed it of course.

This area is a huge and growing market and most certainly fits the edge device profile to a "T". There has got to be something going on in this product area wouldn't you think?

Although I've trolled around in the websites of some of the leading manufactures my sleuthing skills pale in comparison to many on the TSE, and I have found zero connections to Brainchip.

Still, and yet,........Brainchip job postings continue to say specifically hearing aids. Why?

Regards, dippY
My money is on Jabra

• Fire
Reactions: 6 users
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 57 users

cosors

👀
UBS takes over Credit Suisse. The or a decision was sought today to prevent turbulence tomorrow on the stock markets. Let's see if this works.

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 19 users

alwaysgreen

Top 20
Does anyone know if the AGM will be broadcast on the Web or recorded? I live overseas and can't tavel ATM due to family commitments.
No details have been released at this stage other than date and time as far as I am aware.

Reactions: 8 users

Tothemoon24

Top 20
OxiWear device uses Nordic nRF52840 SoC

Nordic-powered ear-worn pulse oximeter enables continuous oxygen monitoring​

https://www.nordicsemi.com/News/News-Archive/?category=17c74e7e-dbbe-457e-a229-9ce484816e6a
Oxiwear

OxiWear device uses Nordic nRF52840 SoC to process and relay sensor data via low power Bluetooth LE wireless connectivity​

U.S.-based health tech startup OxiWear has launched its wireless, non-intrusive, ear-worn pulse oximeter for medical-grade, continuous oxygen monitoring and low oxygen alerts.
The ‘OxiWear’ device is designed to support the more than 10 percent of the global population at risk of hypoxia - a potentially life-threatening disease where tissues in the human body do not receive enough oxygen. Hypoxia is caused by environmental factors, high altitude living and recreation, or chronic medical conditions. The disease can result in various organs, including the brain and heart, to not function properly.

Accurate oxygen level monitoring​

Worn on the ear, OxiWear provides an unobtrusive way to accurately monitor a user’s oxygen levels in real time, while offering an alert mechanism if levels drop dangerously low. By using the device, individuals can better manage asymptomatic hypoxia, helping to avoid hospitalizations and unnecessary medical testing.
“We have taken proven pulse oximetry technology and designed it into a miniaturized form factor,” says George Beckstein, Chief Technology Officer, OxiWear. “OxiWear is the only wireless ear-worn pulse oximeter on the market designed for continuous monitoring, which is ideal during physical activity when the user’s hands might otherwise be preoccupied.”

The nRF52840 SoC performs as the primary processor for running OxiWear’s complex DSP algorithms, while also performing a number of housekeeping duties like firmware updates, power management, and storing historical data to Flash
George Beckstein, OxiWear
The OxiWear device features an integrated optical sensor for photoplethysmography (non-invasive technology that uses a light source and a photodetector at the skin’s surface to measure the volumetric variations of blood circulation), and an accelerometer for motion detection and cancellation. These sensors are overseen by the Wafer Level Chip Scale Package (WLCSP) version of Nordic Semiconductor’s nRF52840 SoC, using its powerful 64 MHz, 32-bit Arm® Cortex® M4 processor with floating point unit (FPU).
In addition, the nRF52840 SoC-enabled Bluetooth® LE connectivity allows real-time health data to be relayed wirelessly from the device to the user’s smartphone, from where an accompanying app displays the blood oxygen (SpO2) and heart rate information. The app also collects environmental data that may affect the oxygen intake of an individual, and allows users to list their emergency contacts who will receive a text message alert with the user’s location and vital information during any hypoxic events.

Running complex algorithms​

“The Nordic nRF52840 SoC performs as the primary processor for running OxiWear’s complex DSP [Digital Signal Processing] algorithms, while also performing a number of housekeeping duties like firmware updates, power management, and storing historical data to Flash,” adds Beckstein.
OxiWear also employed Nordic’s Power Profiler Kit II (PPK2) to identify parts of the design that were increasing power consumption, allowing the battery life to be optimized and extended. PPK2 enables easy and affordable power measurement during wireless product development providing a simple method for hardware and software engineers to measure average and dynamic power consumption in embedded solutions. The OxiWear device is powered by a rechargeable Li-ion coin cell battery. Even when worn continuously, the device can operate for up to 18 hours, thanks in part to the low power capabilities of the nRF52840 SoC.
“It would be an understatement to say that minimizing power consumption was a high priority during product development – it was absolutely critical,” says Beckstein. “The nRF52840 SoC’s built-in DC/DC regulators eliminated the need for separate regulator ICs while reducing power consumption. The generous amount of Flash and RAM allowed us to run the Bluetooth ‘stack’ and complex DSP algorithms simultaneously, with memory to spare for in-field updates. The hardware-accelerated DSP instructions helped us perform advanced real time sensor data processing while minimizing time spent with the processor awake and, consequently, lowering power consumption.”
OxiWear also opted to use a Nordic solution due to the company’s “industry-leading” support for a tech startup, according to Beckstein. “The technical information Nordic provides is comprehensive and well organized. The reference designs provide excellent starting points for a project, while Nordic’s DevZone forum provides an immense repository of public information.”

• Wow
  • Thinking
Reactions: 19 users
@MadMayHam last year it was online live. From memory you register with your HIN or similar so you can vote. Details how to register will be promolgated I’m sure.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

M_C

Founding Member

To give you some indication of how popular Qualcomm's automotive system is appearing to be, customers for its Digital Chassis include Sony Honda Mobility, Mercedes-Benz, General Motors, Cadillac, and Stellantis, a group that includes Peugeot, Fiat, Citroen, Jeep, Dodge, Maserati, and Chrysler among others. Qualcomm also says it has received support for the new platform from BMW, Hyundai Motor Group, Nio, and Volvo.

At a time when automakers are still struggling with semiconductor shortages, these manufacturers clearly hope to benefit from the supposed inherent simplicity offered by the Digital Chassis.

Efficient Car “Brains”
Duggal told WIRED how the platform drastically lowers the number of electronic control units (ECUs) used to form the “brain” of a car. “In the past, you would have a dozen different ECUs that were responsible for everything from displays to parking, to driver monitoring, to the audio and speakers,” says Duggal. “All of that is getting integrated into a common platform. We are now seeing next-generation EE architectures get reduced down to less than five main subsystems—cockpit for the in-car experience, telematics for in-car and cloud connectivity, driver assistance and automated driving systems, in-car networking, and zonal controllers being the main ones.”

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 41 users

equanimous

Norse clairvoyant shapeshifter goddess

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 42 users

Foxdog

Regular

To give you some indication of how popular Qualcomm's automotive system is appearing to be, customers for its Digital Chassis include Sony Honda Mobility, Mercedes-Benz, General Motors, Cadillac, and Stellantis, a group that includes Peugeot, Fiat, Citroen, Jeep, Dodge, Maserati, and Chrysler among others. Qualcomm also says it has received support for the new platform from BMW, Hyundai Motor Group, Nio, and Volvo.

At a time when automakers are still struggling with semiconductor shortages, these manufacturers clearly hope to benefit from the supposed inherent simplicity offered by the Digital Chassis.

Efficient Car “Brains”
Duggal told WIRED how the platform drastically lowers the number of electronic control units (ECUs) used to form the “brain” of a car. “In the past, you would have a dozen different ECUs that were responsible for everything from displays to parking, to driver monitoring, to the audio and speakers,” says Duggal. “All of that is getting integrated into a common platform. We are now seeing next-generation EE architectures get reduced down to less than five main subsystems—cockpit for the in-car experience, telematics for in-car and cloud connectivity, driver assistance and automated driving systems, in-car networking, and zonal controllers being the main ones.”
Has anyone established a direct link between BRN and QComm, other than the Merc association?

Reactions: 2 users

TheDrooben

Pretty Pretty Pretty Pretty Good
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 54 users

cosors

👀
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

Steve10

Regular
Renesas' new ARM Cortex-M85 AI chip should sell for more than $30 for volume.

View attachment 32617

The Renesas RA4 series sell for approx. $5 for volume.

The Renesas RA6 series sell for approx. $20 for volume.

The Renesas AI MPU chips with ARM Cortex-M55 sell for approx. $30 per chip.

The above are prices from Mouser electronics, a global distributor of semiconductors & electronics with over $4B in annual revenue.

Most likely Mouser Electronics will have at least 50-100% mark up so a chip they sell for $30 was most likely sold for $15-20 by Renesas.

BRN revenue should be $15-20 x 2-3% royalty = 30-60c per chip via Renesas. LDN a few years ago mentioned about $20 per chip.

Other suppliers of chips with BRN IP should have similar pricing.

Many products from all the big names with pricing at Mouser Electronics.

New products by manufacturer

New products by category

New products by week

Had a look at Mouser Electronics' financials & the mark up is 51.2%. The new Renesas AI M85 chip Mouser sells for $30 will be sold for about $20 by Renesas x 2-3% BRN IP royalty = 40-60c per chip. Looks like LDN was spot on with $20 per chip cost.

Renesas has recently mentioned in a Digi-Key Electronics interview that adoption of their RA family of MCU's has grown very fast to 100M units per year. It's Renesas' fastest growing MCU product line. They are going to launch more hardware products with AI acceleration which will be the Akida IP. (7min in video)

So the new M85 based chip with BRN IP will most likely start off with a few million chips & increase to a few tens of millions chips in a few years.

Voice, vision & real time analytics will be the main applications for the AI MCU chips. Predictive maintenance appears to be a big market. Mentions predictive maintenance for washing machines, dryers & air conditioners. About 300M units to be sold in 2023.

STMicroelectronics also pursuing same applications as shown in their recent washing machine video. Texas Instruments also doing the same so most likely all the others are also doing the same.

300M units in 2023 x 5% smart FY23 = 15M chips x 50c BRN royalty = $7.5M revenue

315M units in 2024 x 10% smart FY24 = 31.5M chips x 50c BRN royalty = $16.75M revenue

330M units in 2025 x 20% smart FY25 = 66M chips x 50c BRN royalty = $33M revenue

345M units in 2026 x 30% smart FY26 = 103.5M chips x 50c BRN royalty = $51.75M revenue

The above is for MCU's with BRN IP for washing machine, dryers & air conditioners applications for preventative maintenance only.

There will be numerous other applications as well. Renesas mention that opportunities are limitless. (11 min 45sec in video)

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 44 users
Top Bottom