BRN Discussion Ongoing

Tothemoon24

Top 20
Chip-level tweaks give automotive SoC performance boost

Chip-level tweaks give automotive SoC performance boost​

Technology News | February 22, 2023
By Christoph Hammerschmidt
AUTOMOTIVE MPUS/MCUS

Domain and zone architectures in the car are becoming reality – and require adequate high-performance infrastructure in the car. Renesas now has pimped its existing gateway SoC range. At the current International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC) in San Francisco, the company announced its latest tweaks at the semiconductor level.

SoCs for automotive gateways provide both high performance data path and routing capabilities to implement new applications such as cloud services. When not in use, they must reduce their power consumption to a minimum, especially when they are installed in BEVs. They also need to deliver fast CAN response to support instant start-up. Additionally, these SoCs need to provide power-efficient communication technology that enables network functions as a gateway using limited power and security technology to enable safe communication outside the vehicle. To meet these requirements, Renesas has developed

• an architecture that dynamically changes the circuit timing to match vehicle conditions with optimised performance and power consumption,
  • fast start-up technology by partitioning and powering essential programs only,
  • a network accelerator that achieves a power efficiency of 10 gigabits per second/watt (Gbps/W), and
  • security technology that prevents communication interference by recognizing and protecting vital in-vehicle communication related to vehicle control.
REN2311_Renesas_CoGW_chip_photo-1001x1024.jpg

Faster data exchange through chip-level improvements: Renesas R-Car S4

Details of the new technologies include:

1. Architecture that optimizes processing performance and power consumption depending on vehicle conditions: Communication gateway SoCs need to deliver processing performance exceeding 30,000 Dhrystone million instructions per second (DMIPS) when running, while also keeping standby power consumption to 2 mW or less in order to maintain battery life. However, high-performance SoCs typically also have high power consumption in standby mode, while low-power SoCs with small standby power consumption have performance issues. To resolve this tradeoff, Renesas combined in a single chip a high-performance application system and a control system optimized for ultralow standby power consumption. The architecture controls the power supplies of these two subsystems and changes the timing of circuit operation to achieve an optimal balance between performance and power efficiency.

1. Fast start-up technology with external flash memory achieving the same fast speed as embedded flash memory: Since communication gateway SoCs manage processing of critical functions related to vehicle control, they must be able to respond to CAN within 50 milliseconds of start-up. However, if the SoC uses a process that does not support embedded flash memory, the start-up program must be encrypted and stored in external flash memory. This means that it takes additional time to load program data and decrypt it. To solve this issue, Renesas developed technology that splits the program into sections and initially loads and decrypts only an essential portion for start-up, while continuing to load the rest of the program in parallel. This enables a fast response to CAN of 50ms or less, even when using external flash memory.

1. Highly efficient network accelerator with 10 Gbps/W communication efficiency: To allow air cooling and heat dissipation for ECUs, communication gateway SoCs must keep power consumption to 7 W or less. Since performance of 30,000 DMIPS or higher requires approximately 6 W of power, only around 1 W can be used for network processing. This presents a challenge as the total communication of 10 Gbps must be achieved using 1 W of power, with a processing efficiency of only around 3 Gbps/W when processed by the CPU. To work around this issue, Renesas offloaded processing from the CPU to a custom network accelerator, achieving higher efficiency at 9.4 Gbps/W. Additionally, Renesas boosted efficiency to 11.5 Gbps/W by switching the routing method from a conventional TCAM approach to a hash table in SRAM.

1. Security technology to prevent interference with communication requiring high reliability: Communication gateway SoCs perform a mixed set of tasks such as data processing related to vehicle control that requires a high level of reliability, and large amounts of random data communication with cloud services and others. Since vehicle control is essential to ensuring safety, protecting and separating mission-critical data is important. However, despite the differences in data types, all data is transmitted through the same in-vehicle network, leading to physical intersections and raising security issues. To address this challenge, Renesas developed security technology that analyzes incoming packets to the SoC. It determines whether or not they contain essential data, and assigns them to different pathways and control functions within the network accelerator. This prevents interference with data that requires high reliability and safeguards in-vehicle data communication from a variety of security threats.

• Fire
Reactions: 12 users

JB49

Regular
Revenue 5m for the year usd,

About 4.8M this was in the 6 months to june.

So revenue for the remaining 6 months $200K odd in product revenue to end December - hence the last couple of soft 4C's

no change to license revenue which presumable makes sense cos likely wouldve needed announcements

Debtors 2.5 M at june, 1.5M at December , so 1M movement downwards equating to the 4C's
received 100K in Sept and 1.1 in Dec 4C = 1.2M -the difference being the $200K in accounting revenue for the 6 months

so that confirms revenue for the 6 months at 200K

sorry just my quick accounting checks - i could be wrong, usually am 90% of time according to the mrs

still a lot of work to do please brainchip....!!

View attachment 30478
Agreed. The bulk of this revenue was already identified at the half year. Nothing new.

• Haha
  • Thinking
Reactions: 9 users

Diogenese

Top 20
The most significant part is that a large milestone payment was received for meeting the requirements of a significant IP licence.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Was that our deal with Valeo or Ford?

• Thinking
  • Fire
Reactions: 14 users

Diogenese

Top 20
This i found interesting .....as a result of the company delivering on all performance obligations related to a significant license agreement

this made me jump to the Valeo development agreement signed with BRN

.....The terms of the deal stipulate that both companies must reach specific performance milestones, with BrainChip stating it expects to receive payments to cover its expenses, subject to the completion of, as yet, undisclosed milestones.

I hope this is it.

https://smallcaps.com.au/brainchip-joint-development-agreement-akida-neuromorphic-chip-valeo/

BrainChip signs joint development agreement for Akida neuromorphic chip with Valeo​

By George Tchetvertakov - June 9, 2020

The terms of the deal stipulate that both companies must reach specific performance milestones, with BrainChip stating it expects to receive payments to cover its expenses, subject to the completion of, as yet, undisclosed milestones.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 27 users

Deena

Regular
As at 31 January we had 46,692 shareholders.

The top 20 hold just over 45% of all shares.
Top 20 at 31 Jan 23.png

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users

buena suerte :-)

BOB Bank of Brainchip
Meow! Meow @BienSuerte! Yes, I’m still here but I’ve been literally snowed under (primarily in oodles of clutter)! I stupidly offered to help my folks downsize and it’s literally Hoarders Corner out here, where you could be guaranteed to find any type of trinket, utensil, ancient piece of equipment or general knick-knackery that is completely impractical or not in working order and that serves no purpose that I can ascertain. It’s on a farm in the middle of no-where, so the highlight of the past week or so was having a chat to the bloke who picked up the skip bin yesterday since he‘s been the only other person I‘ve encountered for a week or so, aside from said folks. When he left, he asked me if there was anything else that I wanted to throw away and I replied “yes, my step-father”. He couldn’t assist with that request however because they have certain items that you not supposed to put inside skip bins like paint, oil and human beings apparently. So, all in all, it hasn’t been PURRRFECT 😝, but I‘m getting there and I should be back snooping and sleuthing around in no time.

😘

B
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Hey Bravo .. good to hear from you ..Sounds like you have had a 'fantastic' week ⁉️
Hear from you again soooooon :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

alwaysgreen

Top 20
Revenue 5m for the year usd,

About 4.8M this was in the 6 months to june.

So revenue for the remaining 6 months $200K odd in product revenue to end December - hence the last couple of soft 4C's

no change to license revenue which presumable makes sense cos likely wouldve needed announcements

Debtors 2.5 M at june, 1.5M at December , so 1M movement downwards equating to the 4C's
received 100K in Sept and 1.1 in Dec 4C = 1.2M -the difference being the $200K in accounting revenue for the 6 months

so that confirms revenue for the 6 months at 200K

sorry just my quick accounting checks - i could be wrong, usually am 90% of time according to the mrs

still a lot of work to do please brainchip....!!

View attachment 30478

This is a pleasant report and we are heading in the right direction, just way slower than I had hoped and been alluded to. I may be incorrect with my interpretation but Sean did say something along the lines of sales outpacing costs by the end of 2022. I understand I may be wrong in that he meant sales growth would outstrip cost growth (if anyone has the exact quote I'm happy to edit my post if the latter is correct). Also the PVDM explosive sales in 2022. $5 million bucks is more like a cap gun than Hiroshima.

I remember reading in one of the previous reports (possibly the Pitt St one) that each $1 of license fees would usually generate 3-5 times that amount in royalties so based on the license fees so far, they should generate $15-$25 mill USD in royalty revenue. This is exciting and I look forward to seeing this revenue come in. Hopefully the massive amount of sales activity converts into more and more licenses. To justify our market cap, we are going to need many more.

I am interested to know exactly where the licensing fees came from (although the bulk is from Megachips and no new licenses). Hopefully once the products hit the market, that will be revealed. I understand the importance of NDA's during the engineering process from a competitive advantage point of view. I do wish they could be announced to market as a contract with an "unnamed entity" so we didn't have to wait until the annual report to see how much has come in.

Looking forward to the AGM and hoping the board allows Sean to provide some guidance on revenue as he mentioned previously.

Anyway, cue dumpsterfire.gif. I know the market is seeing it the same as me (share price stagnant). Potential is still there, patents are in place, we still need more sales to justify our valuation and way more sales to increase it.

Have a nice weekend.

• Love
  • Thinking
Reactions: 36 users

JB49

Regular
https://smallcaps.com.au/brainchip-joint-development-agreement-akida-neuromorphic-chip-valeo/

BrainChip signs joint development agreement for Akida neuromorphic chip with Valeo​

By George Tchetvertakov - June 9, 2020

The terms of the deal stipulate that both companies must reach specific performance milestones, with BrainChip stating it expects to receive payments to cover its expenses, subject to the completion of, as yet, undisclosed milestones.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the half yearly report identified $4,831,081 which was the result of the partnership with Megachips licensing revenue. So thats where the bulk of the revenue came from. If it is from Valeo or Ford, surely this would have had to have been announced? If I'm reading this incorrectly, please let me know.
1677214614604.png

Reactions: 13 users
Revenue at $5.07M...........219% increase YoY!!
Next year all we need is to move the decimal point 2 places to the right 👌😁✅

• Haha
  • Fire

Tony Coles

Regular
Well that's weird, why are you not showing February 20,21,22?

View attachment 30453
Sorry sb182, didn’t see those figures but in general just pointing out the total shorts have increased and now I will soon increase my share holding as well, my magic number is June 2024, will be patient until then. Well I guess thanks to shorting we have a chance to top up. ❤️ use all here, great reading and amusing in some cases. Take care all and have a great weekend.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Licensing
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the half yearly report identified $4,831,081 which was the result of the partnership with Megachips licensing revenue. So thats where the bulk of the revenue came from. If it is from Valeo or Ford, surely this would have had to have been announced? If I'm reading this incorrectly, please let me know. View attachment 30486
Licensing revenues are not the same as performance milestone payments. We have an agreement with Valeo in which payment is dependent on meeting performance milestones. We are in a joint development with Valeo, and we are being paid for meeting performance milestones. In addition, we can expect royalties when and if Valeo sell LiDaR or other sensors incorporating Akida IP.

The Report states (approximately because it won't copy):
"Revenues for the year … of $5,071,252 increased 219% from $1,588,483 as a result of the company delivering on its performance obligations related to a significant licence agreement and the sale of multiple development kits and boards."

Now I don't know if the total increase (~$3.5M) was due to the performance milestones, but at least some of it was, and that implies that our agreement with Valeo was earning income in 2022 from a licence agreement because we met our peformance milestones, unless there is another agreement with someone else with the same conditions, but since everything is under NDA, I'm only guessing.

How much is attributable to the performance milestone, our accountant has scribbled down on the back of a Laguna Hills nightclub beer coaster.

Think of it as proof of life of the Valeo agreement.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 67 users

JB49

Regular
Licensing

Licensing revenues are not the same as performance milestone payments. We have an agreement with Valeo in which payment is dependent on meeting performance milestones. We are in a joint development with Valeo, and we are being paid for meeting performance milestones. In addition, we can expect royalties when and if Valeo sell LiDaR or other sensors incorporating Akida IP.

"Revenues for the year … of $5,071,252 increased 219% from $1,588,483 as a result of the company delivering on its performance obligations related to a significant licence agreement and the sale of multiple development kits and boards."

Now I don't know if the total increase (~$3.5M) was due to the performance milestones, but at least some of it was, and that implies that our agreement with Valeo was earning income in 2022 from a licence agreement because we met our peformance milestones, unless there is another agreement with someone else with the same conditions, but since everything is under NDA, I'm only guessing.

How much is attributable to the performance milestone, our accountant has scribbled down on the back of a Laguna Hills nightclub beer coaster.

Thanks Diogenese! Much appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

FJ-215

Regular
Licensing

The bulk of it out of the US. Not much from Europe.

1677219513577.png

• Fire

Sam

Nothing changes if nothing changes
Happy with the annual report but geewiz it’s a hard read😂 not enough pictures for my liking 😉

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 13 users
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users

Learning

Learning to the Top 🕵‍♂️
Screenshot_20230224_191122_LinkedIn.jpg

Screenshot_20230224_191845_LinkedIn.jpg

But the Advertising should be like this!😄😄😄
Screenshot_20230224_191304_LinkedIn.jpg

Learning 🏖 🍻🥳

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 46 users

McHale

Regular
View attachment 30445
In all likelihood, we will be out of the 200 in the next rebalance. Currently sitting out of the 300. 🥺

Looking at this positively, hopefully there's less instos and therefore, less shorters.

Yes agreed but the psvr2 has just been released to market. I think it's too early to include Akida but again, would love to be proven wrong.
@alwaysgreen, that ain't necessarily so, for people who buy and sell options 2 of the main things you are looking for are: 1. volume and 2. volatility - there is much much more, however at present there is 1 other very important thing that comes to mind, and that is the trend - and BRN has been in clear downtrend for well over 13mths - you know what they say: the trend is your friend. So it has been hard to lose on Puts on BRN for a fair while (if you buy the right kind of option - and that is a whole lengthy conversation in itself).

As much as "shorters" are "hated" there is a sensible other side to watching your account getting smashed, and that is buying Puts to hedge your losses. If I had any notion whatsoever that it was going to be a period of over 14 months since the last market moving announcement (and it wasn't really an announcement - it was Merc going public on their adoption of Akida), I would certainly have bought some hedging - the thing is I really felt this time last year that there would be more market moving news before now.

I am also very clear that I wasn't the only one around these parts, that felt that way, - such is.

So rather than taking profit at the highs and buying back at a lower price, with options you can hedge, and if there had been a market moving announcement you are still holding your full basket of shares (not second guessing yourself) and don't miss the upside from the market moving event.

You may be correct about shorts, but as an "ex" options trader FWIW I don't think it will make much, if any, difference. I will repeat another thing which I have mentioned in my infrequent posts; and that is, IMO - that the high frequency trading bots are your real enemy, @AARONASX who is a regular here has put up a youtube vid called "The Dark Side of the ASX", he has put up the vid and link on a number of occasions most recently in his post #46,966 on Feb 15th 2023.

If you are at all interested in this "shorters" story that continuously crops up on these pages, you should really take a look at it - it may give you a more educated view on ASX price movements, and the main driver of this - which is high frequency trading - bots on the ASX. Options traders definitely have a place in the price movement picture, but bots (which implement small parcels to make price movements up and down) and they are responsible for 70% of price movements on ASX.

IMO some of the stuff that goes up on these pages with regard to shorting, gobsmacks me - I can't believe it, in that, as I understand options trading, (and I have traded other more sophisticated options strategies and not just Puts and Calls - and options traders don't just position for Put trading they definitely use Calls as well) from the posts that I read here it would seem that shorters cannot possibly lose, and that buying Puts is simply a walk in the park - and I can tell you that is most certainly not the case.

Options traders can and often do lose money, the ones who (generally) can't lose are the market makers and the various banks and brokers who sell the many differing types of options and options strategies that are available.

Last word this is definitely not some bleeding heart story on behalf of options traders, but it is simply offered in the interests more of education, and a more informed discussion of the subject. I could say a lot more, but I still have a business to run, so have to go.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 54 users

Learning

Learning to the Top 🕵‍♂️
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 70 users

Tothemoon24

Top 20
AZoOptics By Ben PilkingtonFeb 21 2023Spanish photonics pioneer iPronics Programmable Photonics is making photonic computing and telecommunications applications commercially viable with the world’s first reprogrammable general purpose photonics integrated circuit (PIC). The company’s technology enables hardware developers to programme light signals on chips with a level of flexibility that has never been seen before now.
Photonics, programmable chips,  reprogrammable general purpose photonics integrated circuit, photonics integrated circuit

Image Credit: amgun/Shutterstock.com

Advanced Manufacturing from a Solid Research Base​

iPronics was founded in 2019 as a way to commercialize research carried out at the Universitat Politècnica de València.
The company is bringing a photonics innovation to market that would significantly reduce development time and costs for a wide range of photonics applications. This is the concept of a general-purpose integrated programmable photonic chip that uses common optical hardware and which can be configured and reconfigured from a computer.
This would mean that companies could re-use the same hardware platform for different applications.
This innovation would make high-speed photonic information processing much more time and cost effective to develop. iPronics says that this technology could be applied in any information processing task requiring high speeds, such as next-generation mobile data (5G and 6G), large data centers, artificial intelligence (AI), autonomous driving, quantum computing, and the Internet of Things (IoT).

What is Photonics?​

Photonics applies the science of optics to generate, detect, and manipulate photons for various applications. It involves emitting, transmitting, modulating, signal processing, switching, amplifying, and sensing light.
In information processing, photonics can be applied with photonic integrated circuits (PICs). These pieces of hardware benefit from a small form factor and footprint, stability, low power consumption, and potentially economic manufacturing processes. Relative to conventional electronic chips, PICs also benefit from the properties of optical waveguides: propagation loss is minimal, there is no diffraction, power can be well confined, there is low crosstalk, and there is no risk of electromagnetic interference.
Due to these features, integrated photonics could have a large impact in a number of emerging technology areas. High-speed fiber communications, for example, could use PICs to support all multiplexer domains (space, polarization, and wavelength) in multiplexers. High-speed mobile data systems (5G and 6G) will rely heavily on PICs. PICs enable high-speed signal processing, and can form the basis of quantum logic gates required for quantum computing.

Related Stories​

To date, one photonic platform has dominated in terms of research and focus: the application-specific photonic integrated circuit (ASPIC). This approach configures a particular circuit through which photons will travel and optimizes it for a particular function. The optimization includes managing propagation loss, power consumption, footprint, and the number and type of components in the device.

This optimization is carried out through a number of design iterations, which may need to be physically produced and tested for robust performance results. This means that ASPIC development processes are significantly drawn out, which in turn means that photonic devices are significantly expensive to develop.

Making Photonics Viable with Programmable PICs​

iPronics is seeking to overcome this challenge by developing general-purpose processor architecture that can be integrated on a PIC. Such a platform would feature either single or multiple input/output generation, or both, and would be able to carry out different signal processing tasks after reprogramming on a computer.
This approach is inspired by electronic Field Programmable Gate Arrays, a mainstay of electronic hardware. Programmable PICs implement a common hardware with a two-dimensional photonic waveguide mesh.
In the underlying research that the company is commercializing, scientists have already demonstrated a reconfigurable waveguide mesh in silicon. This programmable PIC had a simple structure of seven hexagonal cells and carried out over 20 different functions.
These functions included optical ring resonators (ORRs), coupled resonator waveguides (CROWs), and side-coupled integrated spaced sequences of optical resonators (SCISSORs).
The research also proposes other mesh topologies, but notes that hexagonal and triangular meshes performed best in terms of reconfiguration.
iPronics costs development of each iteration of an ASPIC at between €550,000 and €1.7 million, with approximately 12 months of development time. Typically, two or three iterations are required to perfect the ASPIC design, bringing the total development time to two or three years and costs ranging from €940,000 and €4.6 million.
The company says its products reduce ASPIC development time by 90%, and costs by 95%. This is because new designs can be simply reprogrammed, downloaded onto the PIC, and physically tested in just a few hours.
There are applications in a number of fields, including quantum computing, multiprocessor networks, signal processing, chemical and biomedical sensing, and communications.

Next Steps for iPronics​

iPronics is currently working on two major projects that will bring its technology closer to the market.
The “INSPIRE” project is developing programmable photonic processors in the form of TRL5/6 demonstrators, a world first. This project improves the company’s current technological readiness by adding more programmable unit cells to each chip.

This will result in enhanced performance in several areas, including chip coupling losses, space requirements, and power consumption. The new layer design will be produced in a pilot batch to be functionally tested, validated, and demonstrated.
The “PROMETHEUS” project is leveraging programmable PICs for neuromorphic computing architectures. Neuromorphic computing is inspired by the structure and working principles of biological brains. Neuromorphic chips create artificial “neurons” that distribute computer processing in a way that is analogous to brains.
iPronics’s PIC can be applied in neuromorphic computing through large scale photonic spiking neural networks that exploit the gigahertz firing rate of laser-neurons integrated in the chip.
With this project, iPronics will also put quantum random generators into practice, which, because they cannot be cloned, will embed physical layer encryption and authentication to the chip.
Before long, iPronics’s programmable PICs may form the basis of high-speed computing and sensing that will power the next generations of numerous cutting edge technologies.
More from AZoOptics: Recent Research on Quantum Cascade Lasers

Become a Member

Search
Menu

EDITORIAL FEATURE

iPronics: Making Photonics Viable with Programmable Chips​

TRUSTe
AZoOptics.com - An AZoNetwork Site
Owned and operated by AZoNetwork, © 2000-2023
Update Your Privacy Preferences
E79B9AD3-B5C1-4E90-AE43-DA7071EC7AC2.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users

Fenris78

Regular
I will share this again.watch it if you haven't

Wow. Definately worth a watch. As depressing as it is.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Top Bottom