BRN Discussion Ongoing

Sorry if posted before.

Is this something to be excited about?

In addition to Automotive (through the recently released -A series) SiFive looks to be really making a push into the data center market. I first started reading articles suggesting this focus mid 2021. With its features and benefits it makes perfect sense and, I can only assume that it is making the incumbents a little concerned as SiFive continue to put runs on the board. The more I read about Risc-V Architecture and from my lay persons level of understanding I can see it be rapidly becoming the platform of choice by many.

This is a really exciting partnership for Brainchip which could see out tech in countless applications across a broad range of industries and applications. If you have not already I would urge you to have a look. There is a lot to like across all sections of their site.

All in my opinion of course

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
Sorry if posted before.

Is this something to be excited about?

If the answer is ‘yes’ such excitement will need to be dealt with on a ‘do not ask, do not tell’ basis until Google permits disclosure.

Google of all the big tech has the most fearsome reputation for enforcing NDA’s and contractual penalty provisions for any breach and using court proceedings as a weapon of company destruction.

So Brainchip and SFive will not be saying anything if AKIDA is Googles secret sauce and I doubt Google will either if it views AKIDA as competitive KRYPTONITE.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 31 users

SiFive Powers Google TPU, NASA, Tenstorrent, Renesas, Microchip, And More​

RISC-V Is The Standard For non-user-facing functions.​

Dylan Patel
Sep 16

SiFive has a portfolio of CPU core IP that has had solid traction in edge, IoT, and AI Chips with significant wins from various companies such as Google, NASA, Tenstorrent, Renesas, Microchip, Kinara, and more. Many dismiss RISC-V for its lack of software ecosystem as a significant roadblock for datacenter and client adoption, but RISC-V is quickly becoming the standard everywhere that isn’t exposed to the OS. For example, Apple’s A15 has more than a dozen Arm-based CPU cores distributed across the die for various non-user-facing functions. SemiAnalysis can confirm that these cores are actively being converted to RISC-V in future generations of hardware.

SiFive has a variety of core IPs, with their E, S, and U series cores having varying levels of success. Despite their deceptive marketing, the P series is not that successful on its high-end P series cores. Today we want to talk about the X280 core, which has rapidly racked up wins. While us nerds are a bit partial to the next generation NASA High-Performance Space Flight CPU, the most significant win is with Google. SiFive announced a collaboration with Google on the TPU here at the AI HW Summit.

The core has relatively high performance despite being in order. The vector pipeline is very wide and implements the full RISC-V Vector 1.0 spec. Furthermore, it has extensions that support bfloat, matrix multiplies, and quantization, allowing it to be optimized for AI. This CPU is performant enough to run as an applications processor in automotive applications or a hypervisor in datacenter applications. Every one of Tenstorrent’s TenSix processor tiles includes X280 CPUs. There is even an automotive version with ISO certifications that can run in lockstep mode, which we believe will be deployed in Toyota cars.

SiFive can offer something Arm cannot, flexibility. Customers can modify their cores by adding hardware accelerators directly into the vector register file. This can be used for extending the X280 core to applications such as DSP, image signal processing, and AI. This is where the Google collaboration comes in.
SemiAnalysis is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support our work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.
Q

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 33 users
S

Straw

And of course in making this error I have completely overlooked what Jerome Nadel said when announcing the partnership with SiFive:

“We are pleased to partner with SiFive and have the opportunity to have our Akida technology integrated with their market-leading product offerings, creating an efficient combination for edge compute,” said Jerome Nadel, BrainChip CMO. “As we expand our ecosystem of portfolio partners, we want to be sure that these relationships are built on complementary technologies, enabling capabilities, and breadth of environments so that we can expand opportunities to as many potential customers as possible. Driving our technology into a SiFive-based subsystem is exactly the type of partnership that meets these goals.”

In mitigation of any penalty that you might impose on me I had allowed myself to be influenced by anonymous micro opinions expressed here that cast doubt on the depth of the relationship.

However @Diogenese after reading your post and returning to the primary source being the actual statements by the two partnering companies the big picture has been once again revealed.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
dark phoenix fire GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
... sry a bit dramatic on my part ('All is revealed' - if the cat could do that there would be no bag). From my point of view the journey so far has been analogous to building castles in Spain interspersed with moments like the above. It does my head in sometimes and regardless with whom we are partnered (and the occasional superficial falter - another castle building reference by Monty Python comes to mind though I'm darn sure we haven't built ours on a swamp and the people working for us are a great deal more intelligent).
It feels like they have some foundations established in turbulent times.

The more I see what companies are trying to do, to me, the more ridiculously practical Akida looks.

Generally speaking autonomous driving, surgical smell scalpel to the Tesla bot. It's all exciting to me.
I think the equity issues surrounding Elon's AI economic abundance still needs some serious focus (no dude... not everyone can just
buy Tesla shares, the equivalent is a financial autocracy; the more money, the more say (and that horse has bolted and the darn thing just can't be broken) - the guy seems ok but I do feel being a billionaire puts you a little out of touch with the financial pressures on 99.9999% of the population. Holding BRN for 7 years has exacted a significant time/mental trauma toll regardless of the financial outcome for me to date which has been extremely positive. This is in no way a judgement on the company itself from which the opportunity sprang (and ironically the ASX).
People more on my end of the socioeconomic spectrum who will more likely be negatively affected by AI economics need something akin to an ironclad constitutional right to benefit from AI economic abundance (ie, which atm to me means free time to spend the money I may not have with no essential services unless I'm directly contributing to the furthering of that abundance through my employment or stake in a company).
Whether the means of production becoming predominantly physically and intelligently AI is based on the political ideology of those in power, the needs of an aging first world population or all those other reasons we can't possibly predict; something needs to give.

I'd like to think that the equity of existence/knowledge/interaction in a human society is positively affected by a guaranteed personal enabler of AI. Maybe the AI singularity will one day accidentally 'conspire' to remind all humans no matter our psychology that we need to grow together and work through our real or imagined fears/traumas.

PF: Oh man that's deep. A little opinionated.... and did you say 'whom'?! :rolleyes:

Anyway at the very least I hope this is entertaining.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

Pmel

Regular
If the answer is ‘yes’ such excitement will need to be dealt with on a ‘do not ask, do not tell’ basis until Google permits disclosure.

Google of all the big tech has the most fearsome reputation for enforcing NDA’s and contractual penalty provisions for any breach and using court proceedings as a weapon of company destruction.

So Brainchip and SFive will not be saying anything if AKIDA is Googles secret sauce and I doubt Google will either if it views AKIDA as competitive KRYPTONITE.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
There will be lot of people who will be involved if there is a connection what if somehow something leaks . Is it still bad for the relationship.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
From EETimes Japan via Google translate:

2022年5月9日

SiFive and BrainChip have partnered together to demonstrate compatibility in the SoC (System on Chip) design for embedded AI (artificial intelligence) of the two IPs. We have already installed BrainChip's Neuromorphic Processing Unit (NPU) IP (Intellectual Property), SiFiv We are demonstrating a demonstration to function by linking with e's RISC-V host processor IP.

BrainChip's NPU processor IP can accelerate SNN (spiking neural network). It is also installed in the company's neuromorphic processor SoC (System on Chip) "Akida". By analyzing inputs from various types of sensors such as cameras, this IP can be analyzed with ultra-low power consumption in real-time applications.

BrainChip's NPU processor IP is also installed in the company's "Akida" [Click to enlarge] Source: BrainChip

In the recent demonstration, BrainChip recognizes the driver's face and voice at the same time by installing the Akida chip in the car and detecting the driver. The required power consumption is 600μW for keyword spotting, 22mW for facial recognition, and 6 to 8mW for the visual wake word used to detect the driver.

SiFive, a provider of RISC-V processor IP, has a multi-core RISC-V processor "Intelligence" with vector expansion optimized for AI workloads for edge devices. We provide amily and so on.

Chris Jones, vice president of the product department at SiFive, said in an interview with the EE Times in the U.S., "BrainChip can run AI algorithms on its own. If you want to migrate to a large system, you need a host processor. It is possible to choose a host processor that only performs scheduling, or a host processor that actually performs AI processing. This is the field of entry for SiFive's products."

Also, Jones said, "In the SoC design for edge AI, AI workloads are usually divided between the host processor and the vector processor and the AI accelerator. Some edge workloads are more suitable for processing with a general-purpose processor than a dedicated AI accelerator."

"For BrainChip, it is very beneficial to ensure that we provide a seamless integration experience to our clients by collaborating with industry leaders. Because if BrainChip provides essential software that can work on the host processor, end users will be able to easily integrate their products and our products."

Mr. Jones said, "The efforts we have made so far are only a small part of it. We have now succeeded in demonstrating the compatibility between BrainChip's IP and SiFive's RISC-V architecture." The two companies will continue to work towards the realization of software and hardware IP integration by building an ongoing collaborative system.

"I'm going to carry out an ambitious plan in the future," he said. Vector processing has become a lot of attention in AI and image processing, and SiFive has made great progress by bringing vector processing to the market in the past year."

SiFive is also considering building an ecosystem of AI accelerator IP providers with products compatible with the company's host processor IP. Collaboration with BrainChip is not exclusive. BrainChip is the first partner we announced, but we are negotiating with many other players," Jones said.

"We are actively looking for partnerships with people with innovative technologies. For companies that develop IP and chips, RISC-V as a platform should not be ignored.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 42 users
There will be lot of people who will be involved if there is a connection what if somehow something leaks . Is it still bad for the relationship.
Let’s hope if there is a leak it cannot be proven to have come from Brainchip its agents or servants.

As painful as it might be to be a lone insider trader if I or any other shareholder became aware the only way to preserve the value of our investment would be to shut up and say nothing, zero, zilch , forget we ever heard.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Love
  • Haha

VictorG

So far as I'm concerned, the only leak mentioned on TSEx should be in relation to Intel's leaking boat.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Now this is an interesting perspective:

logo

BrainChip And SiFive Partner Up To Bring AI And ML To Edge Computing​

APRIL 7, 2022
|IN EDGE COMPUTING
|BY ANDREW AWAD
On April 5, 2022, BrainChip announced its partnership with SiFive to bring artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) capabilities to edge computing. Both BrainChip and SiFive are complete strangers to the edge computing sector with no patent assets assigned to either of them in the sector, but their partnership could shake up the edge computing market. BrainChip is known for its neural network processing architecture, which is the subject of most of its patent portfolio. BrainChip’s Akida is a neural network processing architecture that is capable of very quick computing while requiring little power consumption, making Akida a key component for bringing AI and ML to edge computing. SiFive’s forte is its configurable multicore processors which are designed for delivering high-throughput with little power consumption. The combination of BrainChip’s computer architecture and SiFive’s multicore processors might be the key to bringing AI and ML to an edge computing environment, something Nvidia, AMD, and Intelhave been racing to do.
Although the lack of patent activity from BrainChip and SiFive in the edge computing sector may seem like a weakness, their patent activity in computer architecture gives them enough protection to make them a big player in the edge computing market. Patent Forecast® predicts that if this partnership produces patent activity in the edge computing sector, then Intel will acquire both companies. Intel holds the most patent assets in the edge computing sector with two-hundred and thirteen (213) patent assets, and if Intel wants to retain its control of the edge computing market, then it will have to provide a way of bringing AI and ML to edge computing.”

• Fire
  • Wow
Reactions: 28 users

logo

APRIL 7, 2022
|IN EDGE COMPUTING
|BY ANDREW AWAD
On April 5, 2022, BrainChip announced its partnership with SiFive to bring artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) capabilities to edge computing. Both BrainChip and SiFive are complete strangers to the edge computing sector with no patent assets assigned to either of them in the sector, but their partnership could shake up the edge computing market. BrainChip is known for its neural network processing architecture, which is the subject of most of its patent portfolio. BrainChip’s Akida is a neural network processing architecture that is capable of very quick computing while requiring little power consumption, making Akida a key component for bringing AI and ML to edge computing. SiFive’s forte is its configurable multicore processors which are designed for delivering high-throughput with little power consumption. The combination of BrainChip’s computer architecture and SiFive’s multicore processors might be the key to bringing AI and ML to an edge computing environment, something Nvidia, AMD, and Intelhave been racing to do.
Although the lack of patent activity from BrainChip and SiFive in the edge computing sector may seem like a weakness, their patent activity in computer architecture gives them enough protection to make them a big player in the edge computing market. Patent Forecast® predicts that if this partnership produces patent activity in the edge computing sector, then Intel will acquire both companies. Intel holds the most patent assets in the edge computing sector with two-hundred and thirteen (213) patent assets, and if Intel wants to retain its control of the edge computing market, then it will have to provide a way of bringing AI and ML to edge computing.”

Look out Intel is coming.😂🤣😂🤡😵‍💫😎

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users

TheDrooben

Pretty Pretty Pretty Pretty Good

Chris Bergey, general manager of infrastructure at Arm Ltd, set the competitive environment thus:

Today’s infrastructure is custom built, from SSDs to HDDs to DPUs to video accelerators. The last standard product, the server CPU, will not cut it as a general purpose product moving forward. Power consumption is already too big of an issue. Hyperscalers spend 30 percent to 40 percent of their entire TCO on power, and it’s only slightly better for telco network operators. Data rates are advancing too fast. Compute workloads are on a relentless march higher, and they’re becoming much more complex. Machine learning and AI are taking over. The future of infrastructure must look nothing like the past. It needs a redefinition. Infrastructure will need to be ubiquitous. The cloud will continue to exist in mega datacenters. But our entertainment experiences, transportation, and the way we communicate will be transformed by the build out of the edge. It will be accelerated to support the immersive, visual, tactile, real-time experiences being dreamed up by AR and VR creators. It will be power efficient, and DPUs show us how to get there.”

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users

Dhm

Regular
On a serious note I agree Brainchip does not need to capture 100 percent of the market but it has the formula in place to do so:

1. Price - AKIDA 1.0 with 80 nodes and the processing power to run multiple functions was priced at around $25.00. Advanced App designers like Nviso see AKIDA 1.0 as unique in the market as a result.

2. Price - AKIDA 1.0 IP can be taken in small forms down to one node but two appears optimum. At a point IP sales can be made off a virtual no cost base making it impossible for competitors (?) to compete on price.

3. Ease of adoption off the shelf as it is designed to be processor and sensor agnostic.

4. Existing infrastructure is retained and existing data resources are converted in Meta TF to run in AKIDA SNN.

5. Meta TF using Tensor Flow industry standard language allows existing staff to be quickly and painlessly inducted into using AKIDA.

6. AKIDA 1.0 uses available low cost conventional architecture across all chip sizes. AKIDA 1.0 uses 28nm for example. Loihi 2 is using 7nm. At 28nm AKIDA out performs Loihi 2 by significant margins but brought to 7nm it would wipe the floor. 28nm is significantly less expensive than 7nm with much higher yields and is available across more foundries.

So the issue for adoption is simply one of education so that AKIDA 1.0 becomes known across the market as a choice to be considered.

This is why Ecosystem partners are the present priority for Brainchip. ARM and Edge Impulse stand out as jewels in the Brainchip Ecosystem along with MegaChips.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
The other smart thing Brainchip is doing (and we already know this) is introducing university students to Akida via Carnegie Mellon and Arizona State Universities so when they graduate and move on to related jobs they will be neuromorphically trained to use Akida as a first choice solution. In 10 years hopefully these graduates will be applying Akida 4000 to solutions of problems we haven't even thought of yet.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 40 users
I was just reading the following article which is five months old and a lot of it does seem familiar so either I found it and forgot to post, someone else posted it or it has been syndicated.

There are quite a few standouts because the author is interviewing Jerome Nadel and also Anil Mankar.

But the most interesting part for me is the following expansion of what AKIDA is doing in the Mercedes Benz EQXX:

“BrainChip already is seeing some success. It’s Akida 1000 platform is being used in Mercedes-Benz’s Vision EQXX concept car for in-cabin AI, including:

1. driver and voice authentication,

2. keyword spotting and

3. contextual understanding.”

Now that is quite a bit more than has previously appeared in any print, video or presentation I have read, seen or heard.

On the basis of this I think I will declare tomorrow a holiday here in NSW.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 33 users

Proga

Regular
Dead Cat Bounce, the slide will continue...to think that the world money markets are stable, would reflect the view of a fool.

Choices, do I pull my stop-loss placements, do I buy more BRN, do I hope that the 4C delivers similar revenue to the previous quarter,
do I believe "explosive sales" are wrapped up in the coming 4C results or the results to be published in late January....so many thoughts
one can have.

Carrying no debt, having cash on hand is a major positive, especially in times of uncertainty, and that's Brainchip down to a tee.

How's Magik Eye Inc going? (August 2020) 2 years 2 months, any word?

We have ALL been on a learning curve, including the company executives over many years, I have already penned 2025 as the year,
hopefully things ramp up prior to 2025, but for me, that's my current assessment, based on nothing to do with the technology, but
everything else that circles us, the financial markets, ideas to product conversion, continuous education of potential clients, building
positive partnerships with key world players that can blossom into the future, to me it's really come down to the time factor, which I
nor you or for that matter, even the company can control.

I notice DIGIMARC has had another patent granted, Brainchip's Akida is still mentioned, but so are other processors.

I'd keep checking patents regularly, they are worth their weight in gold, in my opinion moving forward.

Cheers and goodnight...Tech
@TECH not too sure about Magik Eye but what about MobileEye? In its filing on Friday, Mobileye confirmed that Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley are the lead underwriters.

Intel bought Mobileye for about $15.3 billion in 2017. The Israeli company uses a camera-based system with adaptive cruise control and lane change assistance in driverless cars. Founded in 1999, Mobileye plans to eventually build its own lidar sensor to help its cars map out a three-dimensional view of the road.

Mobileye, which confidentially filed for its IPO earlier this year, reported first-half revenue of $854 million, a 21% jump from the year-ago period, according to its IPO filing. In 2021, Mobileye posted $1.4 billion of revenue.

• Fire
Reactions: 6 users

Proga

Regular
I was just reading the following article which is five months old and a lot of it does seem familiar so either I found it and forgot to post, someone else posted it or it has been syndicated.

There are quite a few standouts because the author is interviewing Jerome Nadel and also Anil Mankar.

But the most interesting part for me is the following expansion of what AKIDA is doing in the Mercedes Benz EQXX:

“BrainChip already is seeing some success. It’s Akida 1000 platform is being used in Mercedes-Benz’s Vision EQXX concept car for in-cabin AI, including:

2. keyword spotting and

Now that is quite a bit more than has previously appeared in any print, video or presentation I have read, seen or heard.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
MB said this in their original lengthy article about the EQXX posted on their website - Working with California-based artificial intelligence experts BrainChip, Mercedes-Benz engineers developed systems based on BrainChip’s Akida hardware and software. The example in the VISION EQXX is the “Hey Mercedes” hot-word detection. Structured along neuromorphic principles, it is five to ten times more efficient than conventional voice control.

Although neuromorphic computing is still in its infancy, systems like these will be available on the market in just a few years. When applied on scale throughout a vehicle, they have the potential to radically reduce the energy needed to run the latest AI technologies.

• Fire

Diogenese

Top 20
dark phoenix fire GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
... sry a bit dramatic on my part ('All is revealed' - if the cat could do that there would be no bag). From my point of view the journey so far has been analogous to building castles in Spain interspersed with moments like the above. It does my head in sometimes and regardless with whom we are partnered (and the occasional superficial falter - another castle building reference by Monty Python comes to mind though I'm darn sure we haven't built ours on a swamp and the people working for us are a great deal more intelligent).
It feels like they have some foundations established in turbulent times.

The more I see what companies are trying to do, to me, the more ridiculously practical Akida looks.

Generally speaking autonomous driving, surgical smell scalpel to the Tesla bot. It's all exciting to me.
I think the equity issues surrounding Elon's AI economic abundance still needs some serious focus (no dude... not everyone can just
buy Tesla shares, the equivalent is a financial autocracy; the more money, the more say (and that horse has bolted and the darn thing just can't be broken) - the guy seems ok but I do feel being a billionaire puts you a little out of touch with the financial pressures on 99.9999% of the population. Holding BRN for 7 years has exacted a significant time/mental trauma toll regardless of the financial outcome for me to date which has been extremely positive. This is in no way a judgement on the company itself from which the opportunity sprang (and ironically the ASX).
People more on my end of the socioeconomic spectrum who will more likely be negatively affected by AI economics need something akin to an ironclad constitutional right to benefit from AI economic abundance (ie, which atm to me means free time to spend the money I may not have with no essential services unless I'm directly contributing to the furthering of that abundance through my employment or stake in a company).
Whether the means of production becoming predominantly physically and intelligently AI is based on the political ideology of those in power, the needs of an aging first world population or all those other reasons we can't possibly predict; something needs to give.

I'd like to think that the equity of existence/knowledge/interaction in a human society is positively affected by a guaranteed personal enabler of AI. Maybe the AI singularity will one day accidentally 'conspire' to remind all humans no matter our psychology that we need to grow together and work through our real or imagined fears/traumas.

PF: Oh man that's deep. A little opinionated.... and did you say 'whom'?! :rolleyes:

Anyway at the very least I hope this is entertaining.
I was really enjoying that until I got to the bit where youse took a swipe at we people what talks proper.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!

2. keyword spotting and

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

Hi @Fact Finder, how similar do you think "contextual understanding" is to being "context-aware"? Seems like six of one, half a dozen of the other to me".

tumblr_op4s5aHu3q1uauof6o1_400.gif

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 11.06.05 am.png

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 18 users

Proga

Regular
A valid consideration and perhaps the brilliance of being part of the ARM ecosystem is to be seen in the fact that ARM has been able to play on both sides of this technology adoption battleground very successfully.

The more I read about the direction being taken in automotive turning CONNECTED cars into mobile phones on wheels after the Optus breach the more uncomfortable I have become.

It was not the breach in itself that concerned me but two peripheral events:

1. I received an email from Optus apologising and stating that my details had been stolen and that I needed to take particular care for my cyber security moving forward.

Not unreasonable you might think except I was last an Optus customer in 2012 it is now 2022. This is ten years ago?

On what planet is it reasonable to still hold my details? Even the Australian Tax Office only requires records be kept for seven years.

2. I have also received emails from companies that I presently deal with warning me to take better care of my personal details in view of the Optus hack.

WTF it was Optus that did not keep my details secure I had nothing to do with it being hacked. THEY ARE POINTING AT ME RATHER THAN ASSURING ME THEY ARE NOT LIKE OPTUS.

The whole idea that every single detail of our lives is going to be gathered from our adventures in a CONNECTED automobile in the future is now making me very uncomfortable.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
They discussed companies like Optus retaining your details indefinitely even after you are no longer a customer on Insiders this morning.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
I couldn't agree more Tony. You can never have too much "context-aware automation and real-time convergence of network, services, and application resources at the network edge". That's what I've always said to myself anyway.

Telco technology trends for 2023​

By Tony Maghirang October 2, 2022

IT's that time of the year again when innovation-driven companies articulate what lies ahead for the industry.

At the beginning of the year, Nokia forecast five technology developments to hit the telco industry in 2022. As a follow-up, the company now looks ahead at the top trends likely to gain traction in 2023 and beyond.

Edge orchestration at center stage. Edge computing hosts and allows the execution of applications at the edge of the network to facilitate data collection, processing, storage and analytics close to end-user devices. Simultaneously, edge cloud brings the capabilities and benefits of cloud services closer to the user equipment, and in the case of 5G, closer to the radio-enabled industrial devices and IIoT (Industrial IoT) application functions.

It is this proximity of the edge cloud, together with edge computing, which provides advantages such as low latency, availability and reliability, to the user applications and delivers requisite performance use cases like IoT, augmented/virtual reality (AR/VR), and industry 4.0. With 5G monetization as the prize, edge cloud computing technology will proliferate rapidly as communications service providers (CSPs) deploy 5G networks with dozens of central and thousands of distributed cloud-edge sites. To be able to successfully deploy and manage various edge computing use cases, services, and applications, it is evident that orchestrating resources over geographically distributed, small-footprint edge data centers will be the next challenge for CSPs and large enterprises. Such deployments will require an evolved level of
intelligent context-aware automation and real-time convergence of network, services, and application resources at the network edge to meet a multitude of user demands delivered with high agility and lower operational cost.

Digital twins to guide network operations. In the telco world, a digital twin is a virtual representation of a network (services and applications) based on real-time data from multiple sources like ML data lakes, edge clouds, IoT devices, subscriber data, sensors and more. The aim is to use simulation and machine learning to visualize and predict the effects of different scenarios without having to implement them in physical networks.

As CSPs adopt and accelerate digital transformation to address complex 5G consumer and industry vertical use cases, digital twins could monitor and augment such complex systems in real time. This will help CSPs to better understand the network, processes, and customers — and how they impact one another.

Early use cases at Nokia Core Networks include network monitoring with anomaly prediction and self-healing, visual network planning and configuration for impact analysis prior to network deployment, and simulation of energy consumption and cost of running the services based on function.

5G satellite access to reach new heights. Nokia expects a boom in satellite access for on-terrestrial networks (NTNs) that use space/airborne vehicles for transmission as well as devices that connect directly to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellites. 5G NTN standardization for 5G Advanced (R18) technology is being seen as an integrated part of 6G to provide connectivity everywhere. 5G NTN satellite access creates many possibilities, including global 5G connectivity in areas without terrestrial coverage, fixed wireless access, and IoT low data rate services for long battery life.

Building more capabilities on top of Core SaaS. Core Network Software-as-a-Service (Core SaaS) offers hardware, software, and services bundled into a pay-as-you-grow subscription. In 2023 and beyond, services will be distributed, deployed and run across multiple resources, and CSPs will evolve from Core SaaS to N+aaS (Networks-and-more-as-a-Service) providers with cloud, connectivity, context, and data assets offered to enterprises. The current way of delivering Core SaaS from public clouds will be extended to use local resources to provide low latency, efficient data transfer and for enhanced security and privacy demands of future applications in augmented reality, gaming, or automation that require local anchors.

Network of networks and cloud federation to make new things possible. For CSPs to facilitate N+aaS, the network of networks or Cloud Federations will be a key development in delivering and sharing complex resources from multiple cloud environments such as public clouds, private clouds and hybrid cloud, as well as on-premises data centers. With the adoption of federated cloud ecosystems, users can take advantage of increased reliability, the flexibility to deploy assets on multiple cloud providers according to their business requirements, and services that leverage multiple assets as distributed service chains. However, cloud federation is an emerging topic so much effort is still needed to seamlessly integrate multiple assets with the right security and entitlement for users.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users

Diogenese

Top 20

logo

APRIL 7, 2022
|IN EDGE COMPUTING
|BY ANDREW AWAD

Interesting indeed:

"Both BrainChip and SiFive are complete strangers to the edge computing sector with no patent assets assigned to either of them in the sector,"

"Although the lack of patent activity from BrainChip and SiFive in the edge computing sector may seem like a weakness, their patent activity in computer architecture gives them enough protection to make them a big player in the edge computing market. "

The apparent lack of edge related patents by BrainChip and SiFive is indicative of a flaw in the writer's analysis stemming, no doubt, from the vagaries of the patent classification system. Patents are classified by human patent examiners who are restricted by the available categories in the classification system.

So the author is correct in concluding that Akida has application at the edge, but whatever system he is using to determine what patents are edge related is flawed.

"Patent Forecast® predicts that if this partnership produces patent activity in the edge computing sector, then Intel will acquire both companies. Intel holds the most patent assets in the edge computing sector with two-hundred and thirteen (213) patent assets, and if Intel wants to retain its control of the edge computing market, then it will have to provide a way of bringing AI and ML to edge computing."

The statement about Intel having control of the edge computing market is, as we know, incorrect. Having the most patents isn't determinative if you've patented a white elephant.

Theranos had 370 patents.
https://insights.greyb.com/theranos...of patents, followed by India and New Zealand.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 39 users
Top Bottom