BRN Discussion Ongoing

D

Deleted member 118

FD6875C2-BB5D-4522-BC45-E82099D669C7.png

Reactions: 4 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Hey Dio,

18 months was just an example of the case in hand, but you are correct, many early adaptors have been testing and tossing ideas around for 2 plus years, in some cases longer, but "it can take up to 12 months" to secure a sale, then all the other factors come into play, concept design to marketable product.

Each individual client will obviously have different lead in times, but 18 months is realistic going by the journey we've been on to date, take Renesas for example, 21 months and counting.

I agree with what you are implying, I'm just trying to keep the natives at bay, but we are due for an "explosion in sales"

ADAS/AD were always going to be the longest path to revenue, time wise, from what Lou used to tell us.

News is coming for sure.

Thanks for your outstanding contributions to this forum by the way, your input is excellent, sometimes I wonder if you are actually the man himself.... wink wink :ROFLMAO:

Cheers for now.... Tech (y)
Yes. Renesas is a funny one because they have their own DRP-AI which they prefer for the heavy duty jobs. I think that there is a bit of "not invented here" syndrome at play.

I've said before that I think that whatever application they have for 2 nodes of Akida isn't going to be a make-or-break product when you consider their whole catalogue, so there's no rush as far as they are concerned, despite the fact that they have all the wherewithal to get to production faster than most. Still, they have paid the up front licence fee ...

I think that other companies with a smaller catalogue and needing the services of designers and manufacturers the likes of Socionext, TSMC or MegaChips would be more anxious to get to market asap once they pay the upfront fees, but they are dependent on the timetables of the chip manufacturers.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users

Deadpool

hyper-efficient Ai
Hi Tech,

To state the obvious, Akida is no ordinary product.

I'm still hoping for the hockey stick.

There are external forces which tend to expedite the adoption of Akida, the main one being ADAS/AD.

Governments are mandating the end of ICEs, so there is pressure to adopt EVs.

Europe is introducing legislation requiring driver monitoring.

The sensors for ADAS/AD generate huge amounts of data which require real time processing.

Then there's defence spending ...

Several countries are setting up AI research organizations, but she'll be right.

The counter arguments include the fact that BrainChip has needed to get the product to the attention of the OEMs who need to encourage their customers to adopt what to many may appear to be unproven, if not downright impossible tech. After all "what is a neuromorphic computer anyway?"

The dam is about to spill.
Just a comment
There's no doubt in my mind that the buildup of momentum is about to reach it's crescendo

Hopefully at about 10:20 tomorrow morning.
tsunami GIF

It's good to be a shareholder.
Shorts will have to cover
GSTK

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

overpup

Regular
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 37 users

TECH

Regular
Yes. Renesas is a funny one because they have their own DRP-AI which they prefer for the heavy duty jobs. I think that there is a bit of "not invented here" syndrome at play.

I've said before that I think that whatever application they have for 2 nodes of Akida isn't going to be a make-or-break product when you consider their whole catalogue, so there's no rush as far as they are concerned, despite the fact that they have all the wherewithal to get to production faster than most. Still, they have paid the up front licence fee ...

I think that other companies with a smaller catalogue and needing the services of designers and manufacturers the likes of Socionext, TSMC or MegaChips would be more anxious to get to market asap once they pay the upfront fees, but they are dependent on the timetables of the chip manufacturers.
Humble as well, like Peter. Great to see, I personally value your balanced views, thank you.

We both love the value of a solid Patent....... some are very close to being granted, that's the rumour I heard at the San Francisco airport :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Wow
Reactions: 24 users

Jumpchooks

Regular
While being connected is being painted as crucial what is beyond crucial and a matter of life and death is being able to continue to function when connection is lost.

Something as simple as having Hey Mercedes work to identify you as authorised to turn on and drive the vehicle following an electrical storm that has fried the closest tower or the aerials in the underground carpark at the Sydney Opera House will never get old.

As much as Qualcomm and Google claim connectivity to be crucial in reality it is only crucial to the business model that makes them a dollar from the subscriptions you will be paying for these connected services.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Ah Yes, to truly go "Off Grid" breathe in and gasp, the Serenity !!!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Jumpchooks

Regular
I know the Prophesee >> Sony >> Brainchip thing has been proven. I don't know about anyone else but to me, this rates almost as highly as the Mercedes Benz reveal. Here we have a Fortune 500 company revealed as a powerful client of Brainchip. Excuse me, I'm just going to get a ladder to SCREAM IT FROM MY ROOTOP!!!!!!

excited top gun GIF

I couldn't find any relevant footage so I just got my wife to film me.
You don't look too bad when you're happy mate, can I please see your wife?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

GStocks123

Regular
TinyML vid is up with Anil speaking from 32min. Can anyone confirm what he say’s at the 41:50 mark. Prophesee and Oculii?

Brainchip at TinyML

Prophesee at TinyML

Oculii

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users

Slade

Top 20
TinyML vid is up with Anil speaking from 32min. Can anyone confirm what he say’s at the 41:50 mark. Prophesee and Oculii?

Brainchip at TinyML

Prophesee at TinyML

Oculii

Thanks for posting GStocks. It certainly sounds like he says Prophesee and Oculii. It's the first I have heard of Oculii and any connection with BrainChip.

• Love
  • Thinking
Reactions: 16 users

Slade

Top 20
I got excited but slightly subdued now because the second video shows a presentation by Oculi not Oculii. Now if Anil is talking about Oculii this is big!!!! While still interesting, Oculi is not nearly as impressive in my opinion. So which company is he referring to. Anil pronounces it more like Oculii rather than Oculi. Oculii has been taking over by Ambrella which makes it very exciting. Since Anil dropped the name, can someone that has a good line of communication with BrainChip management ask which Oculi(i) he was referring to. I suspect its the not as exciting Oculi since they were on the same video as Prophesee.

Attachments

• 1665324477306.png
    1665324477306.png
    389.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Fire
Reactions: 20 users

Diogenese

Top 20

Brainchip at TinyML

Prophesee at TinyML

Oculii

Christoph does a very fine Sgt Schultz when the moderator asked about combining SNN with DVS at about 9:30.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 13 users

robsmark

Regular
I got excited but slightly subdued now because the second video shows a presentation by Oculi not Oculii. Now if Anil is talking about Oculii this is big!!!! While still interesting, Oculi is not nearly as impressive in my opinion. So which company is he referring to. Anil pronounces it more like Oculii rather than Oculi. Oculii has been taking over by Ambrella which makes it very exciting. Since Anil dropped the name, can someone that has a good line of communication with BrainChip management ask which Oculi(i) he was referring to. I suspect its the not as exciting Oculi since they were on the same video as Prophesee.

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Gonna hazard a guess @Slade and say Oculi.

Screenshot_2022-10-09-22-37-37-28_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
Screenshot_2022-10-09-22-37-56-06_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
Screenshot_2022-10-09-22-38-11-90_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
Screenshot_2022-10-09-22-38-28-18_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
Screenshot_2022-10-09-22-38-41-63_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
Screenshot_2022-10-09-22-38-55-53_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
Screenshot_2022-10-09-22-39-14-26_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
Screenshot_2022-10-09-22-39-27-92_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 32 users

Slade

Top 20
Reactions: 4 users

Diogenese

Top 20

Hi Slade,

A search for oculi as patent applicant on Espacenet did not find any relevant patents.

The founder of Oculi, CHARBEL RIZK, is named as inventor in 6 patents on Espacenet. The most relevant one is owned by Fris Inc. He also has a couple of earlier patents with Johns Hopkins Uni.

Quick scan of www did not find anything useful on Fris Inc, but it may be the predecessor of Oculi.

US2022272285A1 SENSING AND PROCESSING UNIT GENERATING A TRIGGER SIGNAL UPON OCCURRENCE OF SPECIFIED CONDITIONS

1665326436507.png

A sensing and processing electronic circuit includes a sensing array having a plurality of sensing elements each having a sensor configured to produce an output signal in response to detection of an environmental parameter. The circuit includes a triggering unit configured to generate a trigger signal that causes an action to occur. The trigger signal is generated based on selected activated sensing elements satisfying one or more specifiable conditions. A sensing element is activated when a characteristic value based on the output value of the sensing element crosses one or more thresholds so that the characteristic value is above, below, within or outside of a specified range of values or when a difference value between the characteristic value and a previous or template value of the sensing element crosses one or more thresholds so that the difference value is above, below, within or outside of a specified range of values.

As you say, Oculii looks more promising.

• Fire
Reactions: 21 users
Yep, and if that's the case I fear it will be a long long Magik Eye like wait.
Agreed sadly.

Like D and yourself say, Oculii be much nicer but just a guess at the other one for mine.

Reactions: 5 users
Yep, and if that's the case I fear it will be a long long Magik Eye like wait.
Article from our mate Sally.

Highlighted one sentence at the end I liked.

Home » AI » Oculi Tech Mimics Human Eye

Oculi Tech Mimics Human Eye​

Article By : Sally Ward-Foxton​

Colored-Symbol-Copyright-S-down-With-transparent-background-used-alone.jpg

Oculi's pixel design means its vision sensor can deliver smart events or actionable metadata to improve power and latency for machine vision.

An early-stage company spun out of Johns Hopkins University wants to make machine vision more like human vision by adding memory and computing to each sensor pixel. Oculi is developing products for gesture recognition and eye tracking in consumer AR/VR systems. Other applications include smart city infrastructure and eventually, automotive vision sensing.

Beyond buzz over existing event-based vision sensing frameworks, Oculi CEO Charbel Rizk told EE Times there’s plenty of room for innovation elsewhere.

Oculi Charbel Rizk Charbel Rizk (Source: Oculi)

“The problem that we’re running into right now with machine vision is that we’re using sensors and processors that were developed for different purposes, putting them together and thinking if we throw enough processing downstream we solved the problem,” Rizk said. “That’s not the case, because the problem really starts at the sensor. Machine vision is not about pretty images. It really should be about efficiency: How do we get the information in an efficient way?”
Oculi’s sensing and processing unit (SPU) chip is based on integrating both capabilities at the pixel level, similar to how the human eye works. An Oculi pixel includes a sensor alongside digital processing – logic and a small memory – making the pixel smart enough to deliver information if it detects something of interest. A full frame output is still possible if the application requires it; the user can choose from different output modes to optimize privacy, latency and power consumption via software. For most applications, the SPU runs on milliwatts of power, Rizk added.
Similar to existing dynamic vision sensors that use event-based vision, Oculi’s sensor can output events that detect changing pixel data. Rizk said this event type lacks the efficiency needed for emulating human vision.

“There are times when you’re not looking for changes, you’re looking for something in the scene,” he said. “Event sensors out there today don’t give you any information at that point, they become blind. There are times when you do want the full frame… so we built our architecture to allow you to get all these outputs using software.”

Oculi vision sensor SPU Oculi’s SPU combines vision sensing, processing and memory at the pixel level. (Source: Oculi)

With every pixel capable of some basic computation, algorithms can be implemented on the SPU without external processing. On top of full frame images and events, that allows two additional forms of output.

One is “smart events,” using less than 10 percent of bandwidth compared to a full-frame image, but containing sufficient information for an application. Smart events can also be based on color or depth sensing (using two SPUs for high-speed stereo vision). Crucially, smart events vastly reduce signal noise compared to basic event-based vision; memory in each pixel means consistency can be evaluated over multiple frames to help eliminate noise. Bandwidth is also reduced when compared to purely event-based vision.

A successful field test of Oculi’s sensor in Chicago counted axles of passing vehicles for electronic toll billing; the test also estimated speed using smart events.

Oculi vision sensor Possible outputs from Oculi SPU (L-R): Full frame image, events, smart events, actionable data (top row is number of vehicle axles, bottom row shows the hand gesture “swipe right”). (Source: Oculi)
The other output, “actionable information,” reduces bandwidth even further by processing smart events on the SPU using pattern recognition techniques. For some applications, further vision processing is not required.

For example, Oculi hardware deployed as part of a smart city infrastructure field test was reprogrammed at the customer’s request to function as a flash-flood alert system. The sensor was calibrated to count raindrops falling in front of a camera to estimate precipitation. (This was done by identifying the distinctive size and motion of raindrops). Computing rainfall estimation was accomplished entirely on the SPU.

Gesture recognition

Oculi was spun out of Johns Hopkins University in 2019 based on Rizk’s academic work, including multiple generations of test chips. The startup is in the process of closing a seed funding round while negotiating with potential foundry partners.

While the technology was originally focused on military applications (early demonstrations detected muzzle flashes), Oculi is now pursuing both consumer and automotive applications. For now, the company is targeting gesture recognition and eye tracking in consumer AR/VR systems. AR/VR vendors want to eliminate handheld remote controls and conserve battery power in headsets. Oculi is also working with automotive manufacturers on future ADAS/AV opportunities. Smart city infrastructure, facial recognition and person detection are also being considered.

Oculi’s roadmap includes a product family with varying levels of on-chip processing capability. Future devices could add AI capabilities on-chip. Engineering samples on demo boards (single and dual/stereo SPUs) and a software development kit are available now.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 29 users

alwaysgreen

Top 20
Reactions: 8 users

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)
Ich war aufgeregt, aber jetzt etwas gedämpft, weil das zweite Video eine Präsentation von Oculi zeigt, nicht von Oculii. Nun, wenn Anil über Oculii spricht, ist das groß!!!! Oculi ist zwar immer noch interessant, aber meiner Meinung nach nicht so beeindruckend. Auch auf welche Firma bezieht er sich? Anil spricht es eher wie Oculii als Oculi aus. Oculii wurde von Ambrella übernommen, was es sehr spannend macht. Da Anil den Namen gefallen gelassen hat, kann jemand, der eine gute Verbindung zum BrainChip-Management hat, fragen, auf welches Oculi(i) er sich bezog? Ich vermute, es ist das nicht so aufregende Oculi, da sie im selben Video wie Prophesee waren.

There are many contacts between oculi and brainchip, contacts with oculii I only can find with prophesee

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Top Bottom