Long term, strategic future of Talga

Semmel

Regular
With the environmetal permit under the belt, lets talk about the future of Talga. How things will play out the next decades.

I just looked at the numbers again. And it seems, we are far, far away from mining a substatial amount of graphite that is available with the Nunasvaara South surface mine. Its very simple. If we extract 100ktpa ore with an average 25% contained graphite, thats 25ktpa graphite. Very little gets lost in making the anode in the end, so these numbers are simple and check out. Talga estimates a life of mine of 24 years. Talga mines about 25*24=600kt of graphite from Nunasvaara South. Look at the table:

1680863421937.png

Nunasvaara South has about 2800kt. Of what we know about. Its open at strike and at depth! Meaning, there is about 2000kt where we cant get to with the current mine. Now look at the map from the announcement in here:

1680863446429.png

1680863462521.png

Everything is super close by. If that were iron ore bodies like in Kiruna, they would just make a big tunnel and follow the ore underground. Look, there is even stuff between Nunasvaara North and Niska South. Of course, we would need more drilling to specify this, but its obvious it is there. But even if we dont account for more ressources. Even if we dont account for the open strike and depth and use only what we know its there. That is still about 8Mt of graphite after mining Nunasvaara South. I am routing for a life of mine not much beyond 2040. Why?

Because power will become so cheap that competition with synthetic will eat into our profit margins. The sooner we get the stuff out of the ground the better. The more we produce early, the less incentive is there to build the synthetic infrastructure. But why does energy become cheap you might ask? Because of the transition to sustainable energy. The exact thing we are trying to go faster with Talga will ultimately eat our profits. How?

Look at what Tesla recently announced on sustainable energy, link above. Look at what Tony Seba has done for computing the economics of a 100% renewable energy society, image below. Mind you, to build a 100% renewable energy economy is cheaper than continuing to operate existing carbon burning energy economy. Which is INSANE if you ask me. Bulding NEW infrastructure is CHEAPER than maintaining existing stuff? Yes. Thats the core of the argument. There was always a chance that this Tony Seba guy is a whack job. I didnt think so, but I can be wrong too. So factoring that in, I was cautious. But his findings were essentially confirmed by Teslas study. So its not one whack job, its at least two. What is the core of the argument? Look at the image below.

1680863492064.png

The x on the x-axis is the energy generating capacity requirement (i.e. demand) by the entire economy of some region. The value that is written as the blue curve is Energy generating capacity by wind and solar. The y axis is cost. If you dont want to have power outages, you need to have enough battery capacity to fill in the gaps. The cost of building the batteries required for a given energy generation capacity is the green curve. If you ask any economist, about a 100% renewable energy economy, they say it cant be done because the battery requirements are too high. You dont have batteries that last over winter for instance. These "experts" are stuck at the 1x vertical line in the plot above.

However, the cheepest way of having sustainable energy economy, is not to build a 100% renewable energy capacity. Its to build ~400% renewable energy economy. You basically build the energy generation capacity for about the worst case of winter when you have little sunlight for months. But you build enough solar panels and wind turbines that make STILL enough energy in these situations. Then you need vastly less energy storage, which is much more expensive than power generation. Thats why the most economic sustainable energy economy is to oversupply energy! That means, you have LOTS and LOTS of free energy a lot of the time!

With technological advancements, the sweet spot might not remain at 4x. It might go to 2x with better energy storage. But the fact remains, you need to build more energy generation than you need. Meaning, the cheapest sustainable energy will, as a side effect, have lots of free energy. AND its cheaper than maintain oil and gas power generation, let alone ICE cars. EVs are already cheaper than ICEs if you consider full life cycle.

And to close the loop. Synthetic graphite is expensive because it needs a lot of energy. It also needs Petrolium as feed stock, which goes away, but that can easily be replaced by a different carbon source of which there are plenty. In essence, synthetic will become cheaper over time and eventually become so cheap, that profit margins of Talga will be very low. Thats why I want the graphite out of the ground as fast as possible. I want a sustainable energy economy as soon as possible for environmental reasons and I want Talga to dig it up before they are priced out for selfish stock price reasons. Time is of the essence. We are now at the sweet spot of history for graphite mining. Politically, economically and environmentally.

Time is ticking. We need to be swift and decisive with our expansion plan. We should make plans as soon as possible. Not waiting another year for new drilling results. We need to act now and go as big and fast as possible with the resources we have already drilled. We can fill in the gaps later and extend the mine once we have the permit rolling.

With all this said, we need to make an underground mine, about 400ktpa Talnode-C production capacity, i.e. 1.6Mtpa ore extraction for the entire Niska and Nunasvaara resource body. There are 8Mt in contained graphite. Thats a life of mine of 20 years. By the time its build, its going to be nearly 2030. That is almost too late for us given the discussion above. Maybe I am a bit wrong on the time lines, but I reckon, 2040 is about the time we become energy capacity positive, meaning we cross the 1x line with sustainable energy for good. Thats when the margins start to get hurting. 10 more years of mine after that.. and with even more resources in the ground after THAT. We will see, maybe mining and processing becomes cheaper too and we can keep our profit margins in tact. I dont have a crystal ball that is THAT clear :D

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 11 users

brewm0re

Regular
With the environmetal permit under the belt, lets talk about the future of Talga. How things will play out the next decades.

I just looked at the numbers again. And it seems, we are far, far away from mining a substatial amount of graphite that is available with the Nunasvaara South surface mine. Its very simple. If we extract 100ktpa ore with an average 25% contained graphite, thats 25ktpa graphite. Very little gets lost in making the anode in the end, so these numbers are simple and check out. Talga estimates a life of mine of 24 years. Talga mines about 25*24=600kt of graphite from Nunasvaara South. Look at the table:

View attachment 33846

Nunasvaara South has about 2800kt. Of what we know about. Its open at strike and at depth! Meaning, there is about 2000kt where we cant get to with the current mine. Now look at the map from the announcement in here:

View attachment 33847
View attachment 33848

Everything is super close by. If that were iron ore bodies like in Kiruna, they would just make a big tunnel and follow the ore underground. Look, there is even stuff between Nunasvaara North and Niska South. Of course, we would need more drilling to specify this, but its obvious it is there. But even if we dont account for more ressources. Even if we dont account for the open strike and depth and use only what we know its there. That is still about 8Mt of graphite after mining Nunasvaara South. I am routing for a life of mine not much beyond 2040. Why?

Because power will become so cheap that competition with synthetic will eat into our profit margins. The sooner we get the stuff out of the ground the better. The more we produce early, the less incentive is there to build the synthetic infrastructure. But why does energy become cheap you might ask? Because of the transition to sustainable energy. The exact thing we are trying to go faster with Talga will ultimately eat our profits. How?

Look at what Tesla recently announced on sustainable energy, link above. Look at what Tony Seba has done for computing the economics of a 100% renewable energy society, image below. Mind you, to build a 100% renewable energy economy is cheaper than continuing to operate existing carbon burning energy economy. Which is INSANE if you ask me. Bulding NEW infrastructure is CHEAPER than maintaining existing stuff? Yes. Thats the core of the argument. There was always a chance that this Tony Seba guy is a whack job. I didnt think so, but I can be wrong too. So factoring that in, I was cautious. But his findings were essentially confirmed by Teslas study. So its not one whack job, its at least two. What is the core of the argument? Look at the image below.

View attachment 33849

The x on the x-axis is the energy generating capacity requirement (i.e. demand) by the entire economy of some region. The value that is written as the blue curve is Energy generating capacity by wind and solar. The y axis is cost. If you dont want to have power outages, you need to have enough battery capacity to fill in the gaps. The cost of building the batteries required for a given energy generation capacity is the green curve. If you ask any economist, about a 100% renewable energy economy, they say it cant be done because the battery requirements are too high. You dont have batteries that last over winter for instance. These "experts" are stuck at the 1x vertical line in the plot above.

However, the cheepest way of having sustainable energy economy, is not to build a 100% renewable energy capacity. Its to build ~400% renewable energy economy. You basically build the energy generation capacity for about the worst case of winter when you have little sunlight for months. But you build enough solar panels and wind turbines that make STILL enough energy in these situations. Then you need vastly less energy storage, which is much more expensive than power generation. Thats why the most economic sustainable energy economy is to oversupply energy! That means, you have LOTS and LOTS of free energy a lot of the time!

With technological advancements, the sweet spot might not remain at 4x. It might go to 2x with better energy storage. But the fact remains, you need to build more energy generation than you need. Meaning, the cheapest sustainable energy will, as a side effect, have lots of free energy. AND its cheaper than maintain oil and gas power generation, let alone ICE cars. EVs are already cheaper than ICEs if you consider full life cycle.

And to close the loop. Synthetic graphite is expensive because it needs a lot of energy. It also needs Petrolium as feed stock, which goes away, but that can easily be replaced by a different carbon source of which there are plenty. In essence, synthetic will become cheaper over time and eventually become so cheap, that profit margins of Talga will be very low. Thats why I want the graphite out of the ground as fast as possible. I want a sustainable energy economy as soon as possible for environmental reasons and I want Talga to dig it up before they are priced out for selfish stock price reasons. Time is of the essence. We are now at the sweet spot of history for graphite mining. Politically, economically and environmentally.

Time is ticking. We need to be swift and decisive with our expansion plan. We should make plans as soon as possible. Not waiting another year for new drilling results. We need to act now and go as big and fast as possible with the resources we have already drilled. We can fill in the gaps later and extend the mine once we have the permit rolling.

With all this said, we need to make an underground mine, about 400ktpa Talnode-C production capacity, i.e. 1.6Mtpa ore extraction for the entire Niska and Nunasvaara resource body. There are 8Mt in contained graphite. Thats a life of mine of 20 years. By the time its build, it’s going to be nearly 2030. That is almost too late for us given the discussion above. Maybe I am a bit wrong on the time lines, but I reckon, 2040 is about the time we become energy capacity positive, meaning we cross the 1x line with sustainable energy for good. Thats when the margins start to get hurting. 10 more years of mine after that.. and with even more resources in the ground after THAT. We will see, maybe mining and processing becomes cheaper too and we can keep our profit margins in tact. I dont have a crystal ball that is THAT clear :D
Agree Semmel: early bird catches the worm. That’s great content you posted, and another reason why Talga needs to ramp up asap 😀 What I also love with this company is there will be life beyond their current primary focus of batteries/anodes, especially as you mentioned the pressure+possibility of cheap & abundant energy. My mind ticks over a million miles when thinking what’s in store after establishing significant free-flowing cash, customers and then leading onto the eventual/higher demand which comes on board for: coatings, composites, & construction. Right now, the Talphite space it appears (& logically) to play 2nd fiddle. But as MT has mentioned in the past, graphene could be bigger than graphite. A scary concept. That is why our future is blindingly bright, and believe those areas we haven’t even scratched as part of the long-term future.

Reactions: 7 users

Diogenese

Top 20

View attachment 33846

View attachment 33847
View attachment 33848

View attachment 33849

With all this said, we need to make an underground mine, about 400ktpa Talnode-C production capacity, i.e. 1.6Mtpa ore extraction for the entire Niska and Nunasvaara resource body. There are 8Mt in contained graphite. Thats a life of mine of 20 years. By the time its build, its going to be nearly 2030. That is almost too late for us given the discussion above. Maybe I am a bit wrong on the time lines, but I reckon, 2040 is about the time we become energy capacity positive, meaning we cross the 1x line with sustainable energy for good. Thats when the margins start to get hurting. 10 more years of mine after that.. and with even more resources in the ground after THAT. We will see, maybe mining and processing becomes cheaper too and we can keep our profit margins in tact. I dont have a crystal ball that is THAT clear :D

Hi Semmel,

I think the economics of overbuilding the power supply does not stack up unless the law of supply and demand has expired.

In addition, the move to EVs will substantially increase the demand for electricity.

Also Talnode-Si uses a lot of graphene, which we sweep up off the floor when we refine our graphite. 100% Talnode-Si has several times the capacity of standard lithium ion batteries, making it competitive with the hoped-for solid state batteries.

• Fire
Reactions: 3 users

Semmel

Regular
Agree Semmel: early bird catches the worm. That’s great content you posted, and another reason why Talga needs to ramp up asap 😀 What I also love with this company is there will be life beyond their current primary focus of batteries/anodes, especially as you mentioned the pressure+possibility of cheap & abundant energy. My mind ticks over a million miles when thinking what’s in store after establishing significant free-flowing cash, customers and then leading onto the eventual/higher demand which comes on board for: coatings, composites, & construction. Right now, the Talphite space it appears (& logically) to play 2nd fiddle. But as MT has mentioned in the past, graphene could be bigger than graphite. A scary concept. That is why our future is blindingly bright, and believe those areas we haven’t even scratched as part of the long-term future.

Yes, graphene is a big thing but so far, it hasnt cought on much. It appears in small quantities here and there, for instance in Talgas additives, but I cant really estimate where it goes big and what impact that might have. Sure, in theory, there are many good applications. But we dont know yet what is practical.

Reactions: 1 users

Semmel

Regular
Hi Semmel,

I think the economics of overbuilding the power supply does not stack up unless the law of supply and demand has expired.

In addition, the move to EVs will substantially increase the demand for electricity.

Also Talnode-Si uses a lot of graphene, which we sweep up off the floor when we refine our graphite. 100% Talnode-Si has several times the capacity of standard lithium ion batteries, making it competitive with the hoped-for solid state batteries.

The thing is, it is cheaper to oversupply the market than to match supply. Not on a per kWh basis, but on a total basis. AND its cheaper than coal, gas and oil plants. So the market forces will drive the energy industry to oversupply. Thats the entire point. Its not that you have to force it. With enough subsidies, you could prevent the oversupply of energy. Like over subsidize batteries, subsidize coal and gas, etc. But if you leave the market to its own devices, oversupply is the logical conclusion. Unless you want to have an energy market where it goes dark in the winter of course. Its waaaay cheaper to have extra solar panels than to maintain the coal and gas industry. In essence, that IS supply and demand.

On the topic of Talnode-Si, this is a great addition to Talga of course. I dont have a good feel how this will work out economically. Sure, its great on paper and the trails look reeeeaaallly positive so far. But the jury is still out how big its going to become.

Semmel

Regular
Maybe we should look at the cost of generating power. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source :

The table is the cost of building power plants in a simplified way (follow the link if you want to see the details):

1680876497781.png

Sure, there will be differences by region. But look at construction cost comparison of coal, gas, wind and solar. Coal is 2 - 3 times as expensive as solar and wind. And gas is on par with them, with solar and wind getting cheaper over time. And that is just the construction of the plant. When you OPERATE it, you need to buy the fuel for coal and gas, while the "fuel" is free for wind and solar. You see where this is going? Lets look at the trend first (careful when reading this, its a log-log plot):
1680876921422.png

Unfortunately, Gas is not on there, which got way cheaper with fracking (but who wants that?). Fracking is like.. throw all the environmental considerations over board and start ruining local nature for the gas. Its not even close to Talgas mine in terms of natural catastrophy. But its cheap and I digress. Lets look at the cost of producing energy, including power plant build cost over its lifetime and the cost of the fuel.

1680877595585.png

This is for global. In 2020, the cost of PV and wind is ALREADY cheaper than gas and coal. The only reason people build coal and gas plants is, because they get subsidized and we cant build wind and solar fast enough. But this will change and its going to catch up. At cost today, there is no economic reason to continue fossil fuels. And at scale, wind and solar is going to become cheaper still while thats not possible for fossil fuels. So at some point, its cheaper to supply twice the amount of solar power compared to once the amount of gas. You can of course build gas plants to supply the need of the economy in winter. But it will just be cheaper to build extra solar plants instead. Which then gives you more power than you need when the sun IS shining. Similar data as the above is for Europe:

1680877858766.png

There is NOTHING stopping this train. Talga will supply the anode for the storage projects needed for this. But we will transition to a sustainable energy economy, not because we want to save the environment, but because its cheaper than the alternative. Its just plain out economics. Oversupply is a certainty. Its just a question of of the time lines.

All the political parties that disallow ICE cars are just running in open doors. Totally uneccessary to forbid ICE cars. They are going to go away on their own. It would be far more important to support new mines to allow for a faster transition to sustainable energy. And thats exactly what we are seeing right now. Talga needs to grow a pair of pants and go big with the expansion. Go as big as humanly possible with the expansion. As fast as humanly possible. The opportunity is now.

• Fire

anbuck

Regular
I agree with Semmel on general direction, but I think the 4X energy production and speed of the rollout may both turn out to be exaggerated.

I am a fan of RethinkX, but their chart showing 4X energy production as the cheapest doesn't take into account the possibility of pumping green hydrogen underground during the summer months and then extracting it during winter months, just like we do for natural gas currently. This could dramatically lessen the need for production of renewable energy during the winter months and thereby lower how much excess production we end up with during the summer months.

The RethinkX timeline is based solely on when costs of renewable production will fall below the operational costs of existing power plants, but it doesn't take into account the challenges of adding the high voltage DC grid interconnections that will be required to support all of his renewable energy given that it'll be a lot more total energy than the grid has supplied in the past, but also will be generated in different geographical areas. Grid interconnections are slow beasts to get approved.

Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to point out that if I had cited Wikipedia for sources in English Composition, I would have failed the class. The same is true today, if not more applicable.

I also found out you don't get a grade in English Comp if you don't turn in a paper but that's beside the point.

Semmel

Regular
I agree with Semmel on general direction, but I think the 4X energy production and speed of the rollout may both turn out to be exaggerated.

I am a fan of RethinkX, but their chart showing 4X energy production as the cheapest doesn't take into account the possibility of pumping green hydrogen underground during the summer months and then extracting it during winter months, just like we do for natural gas currently. This could dramatically lessen the need for production of renewable energy during the winter months and thereby lower how much excess production we end up with during the summer months.

The RethinkX timeline is based solely on when costs of renewable production will fall below the operational costs of existing power plants, but it doesn't take into account the challenges of adding the high voltage DC grid interconnections that will be required to support all of his renewable energy given that it'll be a lot more total energy than the grid has supplied in the past, but also will be generated in different geographical areas. Grid interconnections are slow beasts to get approved.

To be honest, I only have looked at the concept of RethinkX. Like you, I dont really see the 4x play out but 2x is pretty certain. What this plot shows is the cumulative energy generation over an entire year vs. the cummulative energy consumption. And it is sized such that the worst case scenarios dont fall into a blackout. So with more long term and higher volume storage like you mention, its probably going to be less. But I dont think underground H2 storage is viable technically. The stuff goes everywhere and the recovery fraction would be tiny. Natural Gas is much better suited for it as it doesnt go through each crack and its also way heavier and has less boyancy.. Also, you can just generate Methane from CO2 and Water, via the sabatier process, which is better than creating H2. Details to be seen. It will come to an energy surplus economy. And its going to be at least 2x unless we find a wonder technology for energy storage.

Just wanted to point out that if I had cited Wikipedia for sources in English Composition, I would have failed the class. The same is true today, if not more applicable.

I also found out you don't get a grade in English Comp if you don't turn in a paper but that's beside the point.

You are welcome to follow the wikipedia links and confirm the numbers from the primary sources. I for one find the wikipedia article good enough. If it is materially wrong in some way, please let us know!

anbuck

Regular
To be honest, I only have looked at the concept of RethinkX. Like you, I dont really see the 4x play out but 2x is pretty certain. What this plot shows is the cumulative energy generation over an entire year vs. the cummulative energy consumption. And it is sized such that the worst case scenarios dont fall into a blackout. So with more long term and higher volume storage like you mention, its probably going to be less. But I dont think underground H2 storage is viable technically. The stuff goes everywhere and the recovery fraction would be tiny. Natural Gas is much better suited for it as it doesnt go through each crack and its also way heavier and has less boyancy.. Also, you can just generate Methane from CO2 and Water, via the sabatier process, which is better than creating H2. Details to be seen. It will come to an energy surplus economy. And its going to be at least 2x unless we find a wonder technology for energy storage.

You are welcome to follow the wikipedia links and confirm the numbers from the primary sources. I for one find the wikipedia article good enough. If it is materially wrong in some way, please let us know!
Good point about the size of the H2 molecules. I hadn't thought about that. Green methane would be a good alternative, as you mentioned. Either way, we are in agreement that off-peak energy will become much cheaper and greenrer in the future and thereby synthetic graphite will potentially become cheaper and greener.

Reactions: 2 users

Affenhorst

Regular
Overall good post, but I don't really agree with the argument that synthetic will eat our lunch when electricity prices fall. The question is about the shape of the atoms in the source material and the shape it needs to be in to be useful as an anode precursor. Depending on the feedstock the gap needs to be be closed by putting in varying amounts of energy. Our natural graphite will always have a fundamental advantage here. It requires less energy to process and that is unlikely to change due to the laws of physics and chemistry. And if energy prices fall, Talga's production process will profit similarly.

Another point is margin. Given Talnode's quality, it should command a price similar to medium grade synthetic. With its low production cost there would be plenty of room to lower the price and stay very competitive and profitable.

• Fire
Reactions: 8 users
Top Bottom