BRN Discussion Ongoing

Deadpool

hyper-efficient Ai
Hypothetical question. Could taping out Akida 1500 on Global Foudries be enough evidence that Akida works on GF technology for Oculi to have the confidence to proceed with developing their own chip incorporating Akida IP through GF?
I feel there is too many coincidences (at least in my head) to ignore.
I think we all need to have another beer or 2 and contemplate is dilemma Sladious

Announces Last Call GIF

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Was looking for any connections of VVDN and Moschip (you know the joint presso that seems to have faded away at the mo) just for diff angle.

Appears Camillo Martino - Dir Cypress Semiconductor also a Dir at Moschip and a Dir at privately owned VVDN.

Wonder how much Intel / discussion crosses over at his level to various entities.

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 11 users

Slade

Top 20
Just found an article from yesterday which outlines Oculi and GF producing 3 chips but the first is using their 55LPx whereas AKD1500 is in 22FDX.

Maybe @Diogenese can impart some wisdom as to the outcome here?

Get the feeling maybe no crossover as yet?

Maybe the AKD1500 will be testing etc for the stated next iterations of the SPU.

Under the agreement GlobalFoundries will manufacture the SPU (sensing and processing unit) S12 software-defined vision sensor in its 55LPx manufacturing process. The chip is intended to be used for applications in smart devices and homes, industrial, IoT, automotive markets and wearables including AR/VR.

The SPU S12 will be the first of three sensors to follow on from the SPU S11 which Oculi offers on a series of PCB-based platforms.

For outline of GF chips.

Industrial MCUs using 22FDX® with eNVM
GlobalFoundries® (GF®) 22FDX® solutions, featuring low power, adaptive body bias, analog scaling and robust eNVM capabilities, enable integrated, area and power-optimized industrial MCUs. Solution options include eMRAM, low-cost charge trap technology (CTT) and CB-RAM embedded memory for faster TTM and wakeup times.

Pumped up, power-efficient performance
22FDX® offers best-in-class performance at the industry’s lowest operating voltage for bulk CMOS technologies (0.4 V) and 1 pA/µm for ultra-low standby leakage. It features an eMRAM NVM with >100x lower write power* that enables frequent, power-saving shutdowns to help designers extend battery life while boosting processing capability.

More function, in less space
22FDX® solutions enable designers to develop RF front-end modules (FEMs) with outstanding PA efficiency, LNA noise figure, and switch insertion loss benefits. These FEMs, baseband and eMRAM elements can be integrated into a single IIoT SoC that helps designers combine the features needed to meet goals, while significantly reducing overall area—and costs.

Design, made simple
The 22FDX® portfolio of silicon-proven, MCU-optimized IP, along with a broad range of services and solutions available through GF and the FDXcelerator™ partner program, can help designers reduce development time and have confidence in first-time-right results in hardware.

Industrial MCUs using 55LPX and 40LP with eNVM and 28SLP-ESF3
GlobalFoundries® (GF®) 55LPX and 40LP with eNVM and 28SLP-ESF3, built on bulk CMOS platforms, are optimized for range of power-performance and cost-sensitive MCU applications, including automotive, baseband SoCs, mobile multimedia, digital TVs/STBs, IoT and industrial. The solutions enable designers to leverage logic, analog, RF, ULP SRAM/logic combinations, high-K metal gate technology and high reliability, along with on-board memory (eNVM) for faster wakeup times, reduced system cost and improved security:

55LPx features high reliability (automotive-grade IP) and high-density, low-power SRAM
GF’s 40LP is the only 40 nm automotive grade 0 offering in the industry
28SLP is optimized for power, performance and die cost, when flexible mixed-technology options for RF and ultra-low power are required
ESF3 eFlash adds robust quality and reliability, offering zero failure rates in harsh temperature conditions
High voltage? No problem.

55LPx solutions are excellent fits for analog and power devices operating at 30 V and beyond; it is optimized for integrated analog, power and mixed-signal applications such as PMICs for mobile devices, audio amplifiers and applications requiring dense digital, analog and power elements.
I am going to embarrass myself here. Can't Akida IP fit with any chip. I know that Akida is sensor agnostic. If we are proved on 22FDX would that be enough to suggest we will work on 55LPx (I ask this question having no idea what FDX or LPx is, nor what the difference is between 55 and 22......my guess is size. Makes sense to me that Oculi's chip is bigger. It needs the extra room for Akida....I'm clueless)? Who knows how long Oculi and Brainchip have been engaged, it could be a year or more.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Mannic

Regular
Hi Everyone

Just in regards to shorters, I'm trying to understand the way they work.

My understanding, which I could be completely wrong so please correct me.

They borrow a heap of shares, do they sit on them and then decide when is a good time for them to sell them, they then sell a massive amount so as to spook the market, triggering stop losses, thus this reduces the SP all the more and then when they think they've hit rock bottom they quickly buy back in so they can then return the borrowed shares? If this is the case then can we expect some frantic buying from them over the next couple of days/weeks, which should recover the SP?

Also thinking about the SP, I've been in since my baby girl was born, she's now 10, I see there are a lot of people here who are not happy about the SP and it seems that this is their only focus. I'm curious say if the SP had shot up to $1, would you sell or hold knowing what the potential is for BRN, I know I wouldn't sell, if you would still hold how is that any different to holding now. I appreciate some may need the money now which if that is the case I feel for you. I think people were expecting to see revenue towards the end of last year but the plan changed from a Chip supplier to selling IP which meant changes had to be made which took time to implement. I think that we could all agree that this will be far more beneficial for BRN in the long run.

Happy to be corrected, I don't often contribute here so please don't shoot me!

Thank you to all the great posts and finds, they are very much appreciated.

Also sorry if a similar question has already been asked about shorters.
The short definition of Shorters=W@#€ers!! 😉

• Fire
Reactions: 1 users
While companies may still choose to remain tight-lipped through NDAs in order to retain a competitive advantage in the present, I do think that the day will come when BrainChip's technology will become a lot more mainstream and companies will start to advertise its use in order to attract consumers. I like to call that the "Intel Inside" effect.

And why one of our happy customers did this so early.
I.e. before full implementation Jan 3rd 2022.

1676619713681.png

They have seen it, tested it implemented in operating systems and it blew them away, They wanted to be the first to profess their association with this new Ubiqitous technology. They know how far it will be adopted and can say they saw it first.
Follow the leader is a good strategy for going places.
Mercedes is the leadrer in the automotive industry and Brainchip is the leader in ultimate edge AI industry.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 47 users

Steve10

Regular
I was cheeky & asked Prophesee which neuromorphic processor their metavision sensor will be paired with in Qualcomm's Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, however, as expected they didn't reply. I specifically asked if it's Akida or another processor. Nothing, all quiet & not even a thanks for my enquiry.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users

JDelekto

Regular
And why one of our happy customers did this so early.
I.e. before full implementation Jan 3rd 2022.

View attachment 29887

They have seen it, tested it implemented in operating systems and it blew them away, They wanted to be the first to profess their association with this new Ubiqitous technology. They know how far it will be adopted and can say they saw it first.
Follow the leader is a good strategy for going places.
Mercedes is the leadrer in the automotive industry and Brainchip is the leader in ultimate edge AI industry.
Don't forget NVISO and the benchmarks that they published recently compared to other competitors. The processing performance at lower clock speeds and lower memory requirements compared to the Jetson Nano and Tegra GPU are valuable selling points for them if they want to get attention from their potential customers.

You cannot buy better advertising than that!

• Fire
Reactions: 26 users

Deadpool

hyper-efficient Ai
I was cheeky & asked Prophesee which neuromorphic processor their metavision sensor will be paired with in Qualcomm's Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, however, as expected they didn't reply. I specifically asked if it's Akida or another processor. Nothing, all quiet & not even a thanks for my enquiry.
Onya Steve, always appreciate your contribution.

Reactions: 7 users

Diogenese

Top 20
I don't think it's just Oculi that were interested in seeing Akida performing on GlobalFoundries' 22FDX platform. It's a popular platform for efficient industrial and consumer applications and has had several years to mature and gain adoption by the industry.

I think this latest tape-out of AKD1500 and the choice to create the next batch of reference chips using the GlobalFoundries tech is likely the linchpin that will get signed IP contracts with some unnamed customers.

What I am hoping for at this point is that said customers have been working on prototypes of whatever products they are choosing to bring to market, and refactoring time from prototype to consumer good will be dramatically shortened, pending the successful testing of this generation of Akida.

While companies may still choose to remain tight-lipped through NDAs in order to retain a competitive advantage in the present, I do think that the day will come when BrainChip's technology will become a lot more mainstream and companies will start to advertise its use in order to attract consumers. I like to call that the "Intel Inside" effect.
The thing about FD-SoI is that it is more power efficient than standard CMOS because the insulation base isolates the active transistors from potential leakage paths through the silicon base.

We already know that Akida is highly efficient and can run on a small battery for a long time. So adding extra battery life by eliminating leakage currents suggests a need for a very long time between battery changes. This in turn suggests remote or inaccessible applications.

As someone pointed out oculi are using GF55Lpx, where 55 refers to nm. In addition this is not the same as FD-SoI.

https://www.newelectronics.co.uk/content/news/oculi-forms-strategic-partnership-with-globalfoundries

The OCULI SPU S12 is the first of 3 product lines that Oculi says will disrupt and set a new standard in vision technology. It is based on GF’s 55LPx which is a feature-rich platform that supports Radio Frequency (RF), ultra-low power (ULP), embedded non-volatile memory (eNVM) and high voltage BCDLite options, making the platform a solution for System on Chip (SoC) integration to enable more functionality, less energy consumption and smaller form factor electronic applications.

https://gf.com/markets/home-industrial-iot/industrial-iot/

Industrial MCUs using 55LPX and 40LP with eNVM and 28SLP-ESF3​

GlobalFoundries® (GF®) 55LPX and 40LP with eNVM and 28SLP-ESF3, built on bulk CMOS platforms, are optimized for range of power-performance and cost-sensitive MCU applications, including automotive, baseband SoCs, mobile multimedia, digital TVs/STBs, IoT and industrial. The solutions enable designers to leverage logic, analog, RF, ULP SRAM/logic combinations, high-K metal gate technology and high reliability, along with on-board memory (eNVM) for faster wakeup times, reduced system cost and improved security:

• 55LPx features high reliability (automotive-grade IP) and high-density, low-power SRAM
  • GF’s 40LP is the only 40 nm automotive grade 0 offering in the industry
  • 28SLP is optimized for power, performance and die cost, when flexible mixed-technology options for RF and ultra-low power are required
  • ESF3 eFlash adds robust quality and reliability, offering zero failure rates in harsh temperature conditions
55LPx solutions are excellent fits for analog and power devices operating at 30 V and beyond; it is optimized for integrated analog, power and mixed-signal applications such as PMICs for mobile devices, audio amplifiers and applications requiring dense digital, analog and power elements

Clearly, oculi will need to work with a NN and Anil has said BrainChip is working with oculi, and Akida is probably the best match, but the fact that oculi are working with GF at LPx55nm does not establish the connexion with Akida FD-SoI at 22 nm . Further more, they are built on different wafers so could not be a single SoC. FD-SoI has a layer of insulation on the silicon wafer and the transistors are built on top of the insulation.

That is not to say that oculi and BrainChip will not collaborate with GF in a future project.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 29 users

Evermont

Stealth Mode
Interesting chart from Market Ear. Maybe BrainChip will follow one day.

Cheers to the longs.

1676633025167.png

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users

JDelekto

Regular
The thing about FD-SoI is that it is more power efficient than standard CMOS because the insulation base isolates the active transistors from potential leakage paths through the silicon base.

We already know that Akida is highly efficient and can run on a small battery for a long time. So adding extra battery life by eliminating leakage currents suggests a need for a very long time between battery changes. This in turn suggests remote or inaccessible applications.

As someone pointed out oculi are using GF55Lpx, where 55 refers to nm. In addition this is not the same as FD-SoI.

https://www.newelectronics.co.uk/content/news/oculi-forms-strategic-partnership-with-globalfoundries

The OCULI SPU S12 is the first of 3 product lines that Oculi says will disrupt and set a new standard in vision technology. It is based on GF’s 55LPx which is a feature-rich platform that supports Radio Frequency (RF), ultra-low power (ULP), embedded non-volatile memory (eNVM) and high voltage BCDLite options, making the platform a solution for System on Chip (SoC) integration to enable more functionality, less energy consumption and smaller form factor electronic applications.

• 55LPx features high reliability (automotive-grade IP) and high-density, low-power SRAM
  • 28SLP is optimized for power, performance and die cost, when flexible mixed-technology options for RF and ultra-low power are required
  • ESF3 eFlash adds robust quality and reliability, offering zero failure rates in harsh temperature conditions
55LPx solutions are excellent fits for analog and power devices operating at 30 V and beyond; it is optimized for integrated analog, power and mixed-signal applications such as PMICs for mobile devices, audio amplifiers and applications requiring dense digital, analog and power elements

Clearly, oculi will need to work with a NN and Anil has said BrainChip is working with oculi, and Akida is probably the best match, but the fact that oculi are working with GF at LPx55nm does not establish the connexion with Akida FD-SoI at 22 nm . Further more, they are built on different wafers so could not be a single SoC. FD-SoI has a layer of insulation on the silicon wafer and the transistors are built on top of the insulation.

That is not to say that oculi and BrainChip will not collaborate with GF in a future project.
Good research. I agree that there does not seem to be a direct tie with Oculi as one of the customers potentially waiting on the 22FDX platform.

That being said, I wonder if there has been any news or announcements within the past year or so of any other companies moving to that platform that is also considering adding AI functionality to their products.

• Fire
Reactions: 6 users

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)
VVDN Technologies
VVDN Technologies
6 Std.

VVDN Technologies strikes back-to-back manufacturing expansions to meet increased global business.

VVDN Technologies, a global provider of engineering, manufacturing, and digital services and solutions, is constantly adding to the infrastructure and expanding its manufacturing footprint, with a focus on vertical integration and design-led manufacturing, to better serve global customers and their local demands. We've 7 state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities that successfully manufacture world-class products for global markets.

With the mission of becoming the best product design and manufacturing company, we intend to expand our customer base to include customers from North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific.

Click below to read the complete report.

#vvdntech #wemakeithappen #globalexpansion #manufacturing #engineering #productengineering #5g #iot #vision #networking #wireless #cloud #cloudengineering #expansion #growth #makeinindia

VVDN’s wide product portfolio includes vision products including AI Cameras, Surveillance cameras, Automotive Vision Systems, ADAS, Automotive Clusters/Infotainment, 5G radio units, 4G/5G Antennas, Wi-Fi 6/6E and Wi-Fi 7-based access points, Backhaul Radios, ONT, Switches, Hearables & Wearables, HPC/Telecom Servers, Laptops, Tablets, EV Chargers, Infotainment Systems, etc.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users

Interesting you raise good points on remote and inaccessible, abeit in reference to power.

The stateless ability of Akida in not having to use the cloud / net also lends itself to remote and inaccessible.

This is obviously important as we know and reading your post made me think of an interview with Rob and the guys from Gestalt IT from early 2022 which I actually just revisited about 2 nights ago so was fresh in my mind.

iV below and about the 22 min mark Rob answers a question re medical and is quite passionate from a personal and company focus on remote utilisation of products with Akida in them as beneficial AI.

Def a focus on that it appears, though quick to say...when those conversation occur.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

dippY22

Regular
Greetings,

Lot's of good research and dot connecting the past week (Prophesee, Oculi, ISL, etc....) after a brief period of some consternation, especially as it relates to the price drop recently which rattled everyone including me, but only briefly. Positivity is good for the soul and good for each other so I promote and encourage putting a positive spin on things, no matter what. Or, buy more shares when the price tumbles. That's opportunistic and making lemonade out of lemon type days.

I applaud everyone who is (are) being civil and patiently waiting for this slow cooker to finally "ding" and we can enjoy the fruits of our companies labor.

The "Good, Bad, and the Fugly..." as well as the "Company Frustration Venting" threads are well done since they are akin to mosh pits, and some of us just don't mosh anymore or are too old and tired to engage....period. But you youngsters have a good time, just don't hurt yourselves.

On a totally off topic and different matter vis a vis the Brainchip discussion, I took note of and was attracted to a Nasdaq equity this week that caught my eye because of a significant jump in its price. The company is Intuitive Machines, Inc (Symbol: LUNR). Intuitive + Machines + LUNR were words that were just too provocative to me to pass up. So I searched it, and was generally impressed. A niche company to be heavily involved in future space exploration.

My interest in the company was a combination of 1) is this something I may want to invest or buy stock in (?) and, of course ... 2) might they be a company who could benefit from Akida technology? On item two I was unable to connect any dots to Brainchip. However, what did catch my eye and I throw it out here for casual weekend reading is the method for how this small company listed on the Nasdaq.

I have little doubt that somehow, someday, Brainchip will list on the Nasdaq. But I have no idea how they might do it and / or when. Anyway, .......the following news release article explains generally how this company did it. It may be of interest to some of you because I found it interesting.

Thanks, and have a nice weekend. dippY

As always, DYOR

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 36 users

goodvibes

Regular
Anil Mankar likes that from STMicroelectronics…who can explain the meaning?

🚨 Breaking news! 🚨 Boost your embedded systems with our latest AI solution updates!
The NanoEdge AI Studio tool is now FREE to use on any STM32 development board! And there is more: we have just released .STM32Cube.AI v8.0, offering more features and optimizations for deploying high-performance AI/ML solutions on any STM32 MCU!

Get ready to take your AI design to the next level! https://bddy.me/3EeNarQ #edgeAI #STM32

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 20 users

cosors

👀
Hello all. Yes back to watch all the various goings on happening here. And I have been having so much fun over at the Crapper silently annoying Shareman and Dean by modding as many of their posts as possible. They didn't even know I was around. blamed others! lol.
I wanted to Bait Shareman to confirm some info on his true identity which he obliged and I knew it would get me expelled, but it was worth seeing him panic first.
Its a dirty industry this Australian financial markets! absolutely corrupt. So glad I threw my licence at them some 20 yrs ago. Never regretted it.

Yak52
It's good to have you back Yak! Your view of things reassures me or knowing that your eyes are still with us.
___
here at TSE .)

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I stumbled across this new technology that the US Army is using in their Enhanced Night Vision Goggles - Binoculars (ENVG-B) while following some Ukrainian chats (guilty pleasure of mine). Essentially, it's a technology released in 2019 (pre-dates Akida chips) which enables the combatants to see in low-light conditions, and the newest enhancement by L3Harris includes some cool edge-detection capabilities which enhance the target acquisition time. Instead of the typical laser-green monochrome you'd expect to associate with night-vision goggles, the ENVG-B offers views that would fit right into a futuristic video game. Clear neon white outlines of people and artillery, detailed trees and brush, bright light blue figures, and tactical information are all displayed right in front of the soldier's eyes.

1676656081297.png

It got me thinking on how much processing power is required just for the edge-detection function, and how this would be a perfect application for Akida. So I searched for Akida applications in edge detection and I found this document (Published: 11 December 2022) attached, "Implementation of the Canny Edge Detector Using a Spiking Neural Network" authored by Krishnamurthy V. Vemuru, whom some of you would recognise as a Brainchip employee.

1676687127567.png

1676652270601.png

1676687183881.png

1676652482440.png

1676652527416.png

As you can see from the images, the SNN Canny edge detector picks up more detail than the conventional Canny breed. If that can be combined with a DVS feed which picks up only changes in contrast that will elevate the edge detection capabilities.

In the interest of power, space and weight savings, not to mention detail, I'd be surprised if L3Harris isn't already experimenting with Akida.

Attachments

• futureinternet-14-00371-v2.pdf
    13.8 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 38 users

cosors

👀
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

charles2

Regular
Greetings,

Lot's of good research and dot connecting the past week (Prophesee, Oculi, ISL, etc....) after a brief period of some consternation, especially as it relates to the price drop recently which rattled everyone including me, but only briefly. Positivity is good for the soul and good for each other so I promote and encourage putting a positive spin on things, no matter what. Or, buy more shares when the price tumbles. That's opportunistic and making lemonade out of lemon type days.

I applaud everyone who is (are) being civil and patiently waiting for this slow cooker to finally "ding" and we can enjoy the fruits of our companies labor.

The "Good, Bad, and the Fugly..." as well as the "Company Frustration Venting" threads are well done since they are akin to mosh pits, and some of us just don't mosh anymore or are too old and tired to engage....period. But you youngsters have a good time, just don't hurt yourselves.

On a totally off topic and different matter vis a vis the Brainchip discussion, I took note of and was attracted to a Nasdaq equity this week that caught my eye because of a significant jump in its price. The company is Intuitive Machines, Inc (Symbol: LUNR). Intuitive + Machines + LUNR were words that were just too provocative to me to pass up. So I searched it, and was generally impressed. A niche company to be heavily involved in future space exploration.

My interest in the company was a combination of 1) is this something I may want to invest or buy stock in (?) and, of course ... 2) might they be a company who could benefit from Akida technology? On item two I was unable to connect any dots to Brainchip. However, what did catch my eye and I throw it out here for casual weekend reading is the method for how this small company listed on the Nasdaq.

I have little doubt that somehow, someday, Brainchip will list on the Nasdaq. But I have no idea how they might do it and / or when. Anyway, .......the following news release article explains generally how this company did it. It may be of interest to some of you because I found it interesting.

Thanks, and have a nice weekend. dippY

As always, DYOR

You may be on to something. SPACs (special purpose acquisition companies) have fallen out favor from their heyday in more speculative times...eg 18 months ago. With semiconductors now in focus and seemingly rallying and of course AI entering mainstream this might be a brilliant avenue for BRN to pursue...

Right audience, right time. Yes brilliant.

Seems a marked improvement to raising money at 50 cents Australian.

Putting Brainchip's connections and prospects in a prospectus would attract major investment attention and

reduce shorts to rubble. OK, tears

Someone connected must pass this on to Brainchip management. Worth exploring.

In spades

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 9 users
Top Bottom