BRN Discussion Ongoing

Townyj

Ermahgerd
Hi @Stable Genius I replied to the wrong @Taproot post. I meant to talk about the Qualcomm video, although our own Episode 20 is uplifting and of course dovetails into the whole potential relationship. I was making the point on the Qualcomm video about 10,000fps and if we could do this.

So much great work sleuthing by the 1000 eyes, well done chaps and chapetts!

You need to remember that its Prophesee not Brainchip providing the product. Prophesee can do 10k fps, we might be some of the secret sauce behind the low power and provide some of the heavy lifting for processing etc.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users
Hi @Stable Genius I replied to the wrong @Taproot post. I meant to talk about the Qualcomm video, although our own Episode 20 is uplifting and of course dovetails into the whole potential relationship. I was making the point on the Qualcomm video about 10,000fps and if we could do this.

So much great work sleuthing by the 1000 eyes, well done chaps and chapetts!

Hi @Dhm

I think the whole point of Prophesee was that it doesn’t operate at FPS. I’m not the most qualified to speak of this but FPS is the old/usual method. Like when you could draw little action pictures on the bottom corner of a book and then flip the pages to create a moving pictures. The faster you would flip the pages increased the FPS. Thats what we did as kids; it was fun!

Prophesee has the shutter constantly open, which allows more light in, whereas to capture fast images you need a faster shutter speed but then less light enters the aperture and it is a darker image. It only acknowledges changes in the image. I think that’s why it’s 1000fps equivalent: because the frame or opening and closing of the shutter doesn’t actually occur.

Brainchip complements that process by also only acknowledging the changes in the image.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong with my understanding of this.

Cheers!

• Love
  • Fire

Diogenese

Top 20
Must be missing something but I'm trying to figure out what the role is a hybrid of?

I wondered if was just the role has a couple of area crossovers outside just project management or if refers to the actual product / projects being a hybrid AI?

View attachment 27490

Hi Fmf,

I've seen the term "hybrid" in the context of AI used to refer to a mixture of analog (MemRistor [WBT?]) and digital NN, usually with at least the output layer being digital.

Analog is theoretically closer to the way real synapses work than digital, but has problems with repeatability in the manufacturing process.

Were there any more details on what the job entails?

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

Damo4

Regular
At the 33:03 mark the bloke states the frame rate is up to 10,000 per second. Can we do this??

Edit: I clicked on the wrong link, sorry. I meant to highlight the Qualcomm video.

Short answer is YES mate, it is exactly what Akida + Event based cameras can do.
However it is not FPS so much as the ability to recognise pixel changes at high speed.
I believe they are using the term FPS to make it more understandable.

Edit: @Stable Genius Explains it perfectly above, sorry for the duplication

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 24 users

skutza

Regular
1674095513323.png

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users

Boab

I wish I could paint like Vincent
Hi @Dhm

I think the whole point of Prophesee was that it doesn’t operate at FPS. I’m not the most qualified to speak of this but FPS is the old/usual method. Like when you could draw little action pictures on the bottom corner of a book and then flip the pages to create a moving pictures. The faster you would flip the pages increased the FPS. Thats what we did as kids; it was fun!

Prophesee has the shutter constantly open, which allows more light in, whereas to capture fast images you need a faster shutter speed but then less light enters the aperture and it is a darker image. It only acknowledges changes in the image. I think that’s why it’s 1000fps equivalent: because the frame or opening and closing of the shutter doesn’t actually occur.

Brainchip complements that process by also only acknowledging the changes in the image.

Cheers!
The Qualcomm guy says "these types of cameras don't work off frame rates" or words to that effect.

• Fire
Reactions: 13 users

kayaker

Emerged
Hi Fmf,

I've seen the term "hybrid" in the context of AI used to refer to a mixture of analog (MemRistor [WBT?]) and digital NN, usually with at least the output layer being digital.

Analog is theoretically closer to the way real synapses work than digital, but has problems with repeatability in the manufacturing process.

If I am correct below is an example of "hybrid SNN

3.3. Tianjic​

The Tianjic project (2019, Tsinghua University) (Pei et al., 2019) is the first hybrid chip that can work effectively with both ANNs and SNNs. This possibility comes from the reuse of the same parts of circuits to work with different types of neural networks. The additional overhead for such versatility is only 3% of the chip area. Thus, using the Tianjic chip, it is possible to combine architectures of neural networks of different nature (ANN and SNN) within one system. One Tianjic chip contains 156 neural cores, simulating 40,000 neurons and 10,000,000 synapses. Each core contains 22 Kbyte of SRAM. The digital data bus is used for communication between the cores, and the signals are represented as AER packets. Scaling is achieved by combining chips into a 2D mesh network. On-chip learning is not supported. The neural network must be pre-trained on another platform (most frequently, GPU) and translated into the Tianjic configuration to work in the inference mode. Running SNN on Tianjic is 22 times faster and 10,000 times more energy efficient than on GPU. For ANNs, the gains are also significant:

• LSTM networks are 467 times more energy efficient,
  • MLPs are 723 times more energy efficient and 35 times faster in terms of frame rates,
  • CNNs are 53 times more energy efficient and 101 times faster in terms of frame rates.
An example of using Tianjic chip to create a bicycle motion control system is presented in Pei et al. (2019). This system, implemented on only one Tianjic chip, includes real-time object detection (CNN), object tracking (CANN), voice control (SNN), obstacle avoidance, and balance control (MLP). Another SNN, called a Neural State Machine (NSM), was used to integrate neural networks with each other.

• Fire
Reactions: 9 users
Hi Fmf,

Hey D

Yeah, seen the same term used that's why pondered the use of the word.

Other posters have fair explanation but the role details as below fwiw.

BrainChip

Project Manager - Hybrid​

BrainChip Laguna Hills, CA
7 hours ago 29 applicants​

Job Title: Project Manager
Reports to: Chief Marketing Officer

**No Agencies Please**

SUMMARY

The Project Manager is responsible for planning and overseeing projects from the initial ideation through to completion.This position will coordinate people and processes to deliver projects on time, within budget, and with the desired outcomes aligned to objectives. This role reports to the Chief Marketing Officer.

ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Immediate (for 2.0 launch)

• Coordinating with cross-discipline team members to make sure that all parties are on track with project requirements, deadlines, and schedules.
  • Meeting with project team members to identify and resolve issues.
  • Submitting project deliverables and ensuring that they adhere to quality standards.
  • Preparing status reports by gathering, analyzing, and summarizing relevant information.
  • Establishing effective project communication plans and ensuring their execution.
  • Facilitating change requests to ensure that all parties are informed of the impacts on schedule and budget.
  • Coordinating the development of collateral – such as user manuals, training materials and launch materials
  • In the future, this may involve other documents as needed to enable successful implementation and turnover of the process or system to the clients.
For future activities (as we deliver product)
· Obtaining customer acceptance of project deliverables.
· Managing customer satisfaction within the project transition period.
· Conducting post-project evaluation and identifying successful and unsuccessful project elements.
· Identifying and developing new opportunities with clients
· ERP project oversight.

Education/Experience/Qualifications:
• BS/MS in a related field.
• 10+ years of experience in digital logic design
• Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is a plus.
• Over 10 years of proven experience in project management.
• Ability to lead project teams of various sizes and see them through to completion.
• Strong understanding of formal project management methodologies.
• Experience as a software/h/w product project manager or launch project manager.
• Able to complete projects in a timely manner.
• Budget management experience.

• Fire
Reactions: 15 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Hi @Dhm, this slide shows it's measuring events at sub-millisecond time-scale.

It's a bit confusing because at the 36 min mark the presenter talks about the RGB camera operating at 30-60 frames per second and then when it comes to him mentioning what the Prophesee camera can do, it sounds like he is saying it works 10 to100 x faster than the RGB camera, rather than 10,000 times faster???

View attachment 27493
10,000 fps equivalent. I take this to mean that Prophesee's DVS event camera can capture movement (change in light impinging on a pixel) detected by individual pixels at 10,000 Hz, not a full screen of pixels in a frame. DVS cameras do not have a shutter, so the photoreceptor plate is continuously exposed to the field of view. The thing which would limit the speed which a DVS could capture movement would be the response time of the pixels unencumbered by any frame rate - without the inherent delay of the fixed frame configuration of normal video. The pixels fire asynchronously as the light impinging on the individual pixels changes.

Going back to Prophesee's comments about Akida, Akida can accept asynchronous input from individual pixels. It does not need to wait for a full frame of image data. It is able to receive individual "events" as they occur. So it seems from Prophesee's comments, Akida is capable of matching the performance of the Prophesee DVS, something that frame-based system cannot do.

On the other hand, nViso has tested Akida with framed video to over 1.6 k fps.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 40 users

Diogenese

Top 20
If I am correct below is an example of "hybrid SNN

3.3. Tianjic​

The Tianjic project (2019, Tsinghua University) (Pei et al., 2019) is the first hybrid chip that can work effectively with both ANNs and SNNs. This possibility comes from the reuse of the same parts of circuits to work with different types of neural networks. The additional overhead for such versatility is only 3% of the chip area. Thus, using the Tianjic chip, it is possible to combine architectures of neural networks of different nature (ANN and SNN) within one system. One Tianjic chip contains 156 neural cores, simulating 40,000 neurons and 10,000,000 synapses. Each core contains 22 Kbyte of SRAM. The digital data bus is used for communication between the cores, and the signals are represented as AER packets. Scaling is achieved by combining chips into a 2D mesh network. On-chip learning is not supported. The neural network must be pre-trained on another platform (most frequently, GPU) and translated into the Tianjic configuration to work in the inference mode. Running SNN on Tianjic is 22 times faster and 10,000 times more energy efficient than on GPU. For ANNs, the gains are also significant:

• LSTM networks are 467 times more energy efficient,
  • MLPs are 723 times more energy efficient and 35 times faster in terms of frame rates,
  • CNNs are 53 times more energy efficient and 101 times faster in terms of frame rates.
An example of using Tianjic chip to create a bicycle motion control system is presented in Pei et al. (2019). This system, implemented on only one Tianjic chip, includes real-time object detection (CNN), object tracking (CANN), voice control (SNN), obstacle avoidance, and balance control (MLP). Another SNN, called a Neural State Machine (NSM), was used to integrate neural networks with each other.
Thanks Kayaker,

I think I have bamboozled myself with science. Apparently, the covid flexible working conditions is the more probable answer.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users

chapman89

Founding Member
@Diogenese what’s your thoughts on this video regarding snapdragon and after taking into account what was said on the Prophesee Brainchip podcast about Brainchip being the other half of the story they were needing to make it so great?

We know that the Prophesee Brainchip relationship dates back to at least mid 2021 and the Prophesee Qualcomm relationship could pre date that, but it just seems that it is likely containing some akida?

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 39 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
@Diogenese what’s your thoughts on this video regarding snapdragon and after taking into account what was said on the Prophesee Brainchip podcast about Brainchip being the other half of the story they were needing to make it so great?

We know that the Prophesee Brainchip relationship dates back to at least mid 2021 and the Prophesee Qualcomm relationship could pre date that, but it just seems that it is likely containing some akida?

Does anyone know if we can go down to a 3nm process?

Snapdragon 8 Gen 3: Everything we know so far​

Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 news and rumours

By Martyn Casserly
Contributor, Tech Advisor JAN 12, 2023 3:44 PM GMT
qualcomm_snapdragon_865.jpg

Qualcomm may have only released its Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 in November 2022, but development of its successor is already underway.
Here’s all we know so far about the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3.

When will the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 be released?

We have no official date so far confirming the arrival of the new chip, but Qualcomm has established a pretty regular release schedule over the past few years, so we think it’s highly likely that the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 will be released in November or December 2023.
This would be in keeping with all of the Snapdragon 8 mobile processors, which made their debuts around the same time:

We haven’t heard any reports that this schedule has been disrupted, so its looks good for a winter release this year.

What new features will we see in the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3?

We haven’t seen much in the way of specs or any definite enhancements that Qualcomm is working on, but we do know one thing just about for certain and this is that the new processor will be based on a 3nm process.
This has been at the centre of some controversy that has surrounded the early reports around the Gen 3 processor. Samsung was the first to achieve this size, but initially it was reported to have only managed to return a yield of 20% per wafer, which obviously isn’t efficient and would result in increased prices for the processors. Qualcomm has now reportedly moved production to Taiwanese manufacturer TSMC, which has managed a much higher 75-80% return.
Samsung did improve its output though, as GSMArena states that once the Korean giant had partnered with US company Silicon Frontline Technology the yield increased to around 60-70%.

All of this has resulted in various reports saying that production will be either all via TSMC or a combination of both. Only time will tell who get to make the new Snapdragon 8 Gen 3.
So, what will a 3nm process bring that makes it worth all this hassle? Well, GizChina reports that the new process should deliver improved performance, plus an important 35% improvement in energy efficiency, with its obvious benefits on battery life.

As processors are so advanced these days, these two additions should make it all worthwhile, plus the marginally smaller architecture could free up space inside devices for more cooling elements or other benefits. Every little helps.
It also seems to be a given that the chip will include support for the new Snapdragon Satellite tech that Qualcomm announced at CES 2023, allowing emergency communications without normal mobile signal – and eventually even basic two-way messaging. This is actually already included in the 8 Gen 2, and has been made available to manufacturers to include in new handsets, so it seems certain it will appear in the next generation too.

Which phones will use the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3?

Obviously, with the release date still far in the distance, we don’t have any confirmed reports of which phones will come with the Gen 3 chip onboard, but going by past history we can make a few confident predictions.
With the previous generation, some of the first devices out of the gate were the Vivo X90 Pro+, Xiaomi 13 and Xiaomi 13 Pro, and OnePlus 11. We would be pretty certain that those phones’ successors will also be racing to get the new silicon in their flagships for 2024.
As with most years, the Qualcomm processor should also make it to many other flagships, including from companies like Samsung, Motorola, and Oppo.
To see which phones those newly equipped with the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 will have to beat, check out our current picks of the best smartphones, along with the best upcoming phones in 2023.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 19 users

@chapman89 and @Diogenese

I’m off work with an injured back at the moment so I have a bit of time up my sleeve.

I‘m watching the rest of the Qualcomm video. It gets interesting at the 50.12 mark when he starts talking about ”Always on” reading just 1’s and zeros and neural network. He talks about support for third party neural network experiences.

:)

1674101876213.png

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 34 users

skutza

Regular

While I'm not going to say it's 100% AKIDA, with the wording and the dot joining and what we offer, I'm happy to go out on a limb and say while we aren't 100% sure, I'm feeling 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% confident.
  • Blur has been discussed on podcast with Prophsee
  • Unique sensor "only outputs data when there's an event". We do that, so how can it be unique if not AKIDA?
  • Unique because it works on "really really low power" sound like anyone else ?
  • I wonder what, "you'll see this really soon means?"

Watching the video it really highlights how AKIDA can do what it does. Nothing is highlighted behind Louis because it's static. If someone or something moves behind him, it would be an event so suddenly it would become pixeled. Maybe you could say AKIDA is so unique for not what it does, but what it's able to ignore? I remember watching a doco on the brain years ago and that it was saying that the eye/brain doesn't really see your house as you think it does, it actually only has a memory of what it should be, then it picks up what is different and highlights that to you. My wife would say my brain forgets to pick up the washing, dishes, and undies on the floor.........

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 36 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!

I certainly hope so @chapman89 because if so, we'll be in Samsung's Galaxy devices until 2030! 🥳

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 3.28.40 pm.png

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 36 users

MDhere

Regular
Hey GUYS

I'M BACK. long story and i have so much catching up to do. But all is well now and I'm back :) If someone can summarise in a nutshell what i missed :cool:

• Love
  • Haha
Hey GUYS

I'M BACK. long story and i have so much catching up to do. But all is well now and I'm back :) If someone can summarise in a nutshell what i missed :cool:
Akida ballista

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 19 users

Mugen74

Regular
Hey GUYS

Downrampers
Whinge whinge
sp sux
whinge whinge
management sux
whinge whinge no annoucements to asx
FF takes a holiday.
Did I miss anything🤣

AKIDA BALLISTA!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 44 users

Diogenese

Top 20

Hi Jesse,

It's next year!

https://www.prophesee.ai/2022/06/20/brainchip-partners-with-prophesee/
Laguna Hills, Calif. – June 14, 2022 – BrainChip Holdings Ltd (ASX: BRN, OTCQX: BRCHF, ADR: BCHPY), the world’s first commercial producer of neuromorphic AI IP, and Prophesee, the inventor of the world’s most advanced neuromorphic vision systems, today announced a technology partnership that delivers next-generation platforms for OEMs looking to integrate event-based vision systems with high levels of AI performance coupled with ultra-low power technologies.
We’ve successfully ported the data from Prophesee’s neuromorphic-based camera sensor to process inference on Akida with impressive performance,” said Anil Mankar, Co-Founder and CDO of BrainChip. “This combination of intelligent vision sensors with Akida’s ability to process data with unparalleled efficiency, precision and economy of energy at the point of acquisition truly advances state-of-the-art AI enablement and offers manufacturers a ready-to-implement solution.”

“By combining our Metavision solution with Akida-based IP, we are better able to deliver a complete high-performance and ultra-low power solution to OEMs looking to leverage edge-based visual technologies as part of their product offerings, said Luca Verre, CEO and co-founder of Prophesee
.”

Back in 2021, Qualcomm thought their new Snapdragon would include Nuvia/ARM refinements:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/552...3-as-the-rebirth-of-its-snapdragon-chips.html

Qualcomm prophesizes 2023 as the rebirth of PC Snapdragon chips​

Nuvia CPUs and desktop gaming graphics? Qualcomm thinks its future is bright.
Mark Hachman

By Mark Hachman
Senior Editor, PCWorld NOV 16, 2021 10:30 AM PST

Qualcomm processors for PCs enhanced by the company’s Nuvia design team will sample in 2022 for devices shipping in 2023, Qualcomm executives said Tuesday. The company also boldly pledged to offer Adreno graphics that could compete with desktop PCs.

At the company’s 2021 investor day in New York, Dr. James Thompson, chief technology officer at Qualcomm, offered an overview of the company’s technology roadmap in several areas. A key focus, naturally, will be how and when Qualcomm’s Snapdragon processors will integrate the Nuvia design team, an Arm CPU developer that Qualcomm acquired in January.

Processor development takes time, however, and that integration won’t happen immediately. “They’re pretty far along at this point,” Thompson said, presumably talking about the first Snapdragon processors featuring Nuvia technology. “We’ll be sampling a product nine months from now, or something like that
.”
Thompson also claimed that the company’s graphics technology was on pace to improve, too. In terms of the Adreno integrated graphics core onboard the Snapdragon chips, Qualcomm performs somewhat better against the competition than its CPUs at present—somewhere between an 8th-gen and a 10th-gen Intel Core processor, when measured by the 3DMark “Night Raid” benchmark.
Thompson, though, said that Qualcomm could do better. “I just want to make it clear that our graphics will scale up to desktop-style gaming capabilities,” he told investors. He didn’t elaborate further

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adreno
Adreno (an anagram of AMD's graphic card brand Radeon), was originally developed by ATI Technologies and sold to Qualcomm in 2009 for $65M,[1][2] and was used in their mobile chipset products. Early Adreno models included the Adreno 100 and 110, which had 2D graphics acceleration and limited multimedia capabilities. At the time, 3D graphics on mobile platforms were commonly handled using software-based rendering engines, which limited their performance. With growing demand for more advanced multimedia and 3D graphics capabilities, Qualcomm licensed the Imageon IP from AMD, in order to add hardware-accelerated 3D capabilities to their mobile products.[3] Further collaboration with AMD resulted in the development of the Adreno 200, originally named the AMD Z430, based on the R400[4] architecture used in the Xenos GPU of the Xbox 360 video game console[5] and released in 2008, which was integrated into the first Snapdragon SoC. In January 2009, AMD sold their entire Imageon handheld device graphics division to Qualcomm.[6]

So Qualcomm use an in-house graphics core, which was initially designed by Imhotep.

Given Qualcomm's legal bust-up with ARM, I would think they would be scrambling to cover their embarrassment, and it's possible that Prophesee may be the link to Akida.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 38 users

buena suerte :-)

BOB Bank of Brainchip
Hi @Dhm

Cheers!
"The faster you would flip the pages increased the FPS. That's what we did as kids; it was fun!"

Remember it very well SG ... (y) :)

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Top Bottom