Screenshot 2022-11-12 164022.jpg

Capture3.PNG
Capture.PNG

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 34 users

TopCat

Regular
I need some help here with the wording circled in red. To me it sounds like we are being used within the Nvidia Jetson nano chip. Is that how others interpret that sentence. TIA
1911DAC0-D481-4ABD-A595-B354FF675EF3.jpeg
edit: I don’t understand the use of cores hence not sure of the terminology used with them eg “ over a single core “

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 42 users
I need some help here with the wording circled in red. To me it sounds like we are being used within the Nvidia Jetson nano chip. Is that how others interpret that sentence. TIA View attachment 21801
No I don't, but I had the benefit of seeing the demo after this years AGM put on by Tim Llewellyn.

Tim had the Nvidia Jeston Nano as well as the AKIDA board to show the performance comparison and I believe that is all he is alluding to here.

I believe he is saying that AKIDA running at 300MHz is accelerating the performance you can achieve with an ARM Cortex A57 by 18.1x.

Then for a reference as to what this means he is telling readers that the ARM Cortex A57 he is comparing AKIDA against is in fact the same semiconductor that powers the Nvidia Jetson Nano.

Imagine that AKIDA 1.0 is blowing Nvidia Jetson Nano away how can this be say all those who have never heard of AKIDA technology.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

PS: This find you have generously shared here just shows what a magnificent BEAST AKIDA 1.0 is compared with GPU's and CPU's running the Nviso Apps. AKIDA 1.0 just too cool for school. What a great weekend find many thanks @TopCat

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 52 users

TopCat

Regular
No I don't, but I had the benefit of seeing the demo after this years AGM put on by Tim Llewellyn.

Tim had the Nvidia Jeston Nano as well as the AKIDA board to show the performance comparison and I believe that is all he is alluding to here.

I believe he is saying that AKIDA running at 300MHz is accelerating the performance you can achieve with an ARM Cortex A57 by 18.1x.

Then for a reference as to what this means he is telling readers that the ARM Cortex A57 he is comparing AKIDA against is in fact the same semiconductor that powers the Nvidia Jetson Nano.

Imagine that AKIDA 1.0 is blowing Nvidia Jetson Nano away how can this be say all those who have never heard of AKIDA technology.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

PS: This find you have generously shared here just shows what a magnificent BEAST AKIDA 1.0 is compared with GPU's and CPU's running the Nviso Apps. AKIDA 1.0 just too cool for school. What a great weekend find many thanks @TopCat
Thanks FF for the clarification.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

Diogenese

Top 20

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

... and in the immortal words of the Bard himself ...

"You ain't seen nuthin' yet!"

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 22 users

Just look at this as one partner, 7.5 billion chips in One Quarter ……….
Wow, say no more for Chippa to be a fraction of this would be phenomenal !!

07A78AC6-51FA-4F26-9B77-383FBFEE71DE.jpeg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users

Mt09

Regular
Rob Telson is a big FAN of fans.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
I’d love to know how much or if any of this is our IP? So far we’ve only seen Renesas mention us in one article and without a specific use case. I spose the question we need to consider is could these use cases be accomplished with the 2 nodes that they’ve licensed?

• Fire
Reactions: 8 users
I’d love to know how much or if any of this is our IP? So far we’ve only seen Renesas mention us in one article and without a specific use case. I spose the question we need to consider is could these use cases be accomplished with the 2 nodes that they’ve licensed?
If I have understood what Peter van der Made, Anil Mankar and Kristopher Carlson have presented the answer is yes because a single node can do everything 80 nodes can do but you will sacrifice latency and training time.

Which is why it is incredibly difficult to rule in or out with Renesas unless they make a deliberate or accidental reveal.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Fire
Reactions: 14 users

Adam

Regular
... and in the immortal words of the Bard himself ...

"You ain't seen nuthin' yet!"
Brainchip Turner Overdrive? 😂😂😂😂🙃Hope you are faring well, FF. All the best from Queensland,
Adam aka vcis123

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users

Diogenese

Top 20
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

alwaysgreen

Top 20

Just look at this as one partner, 7.5 billion chips in One Quarter ……….
Wow, say no more for Chippa to be a fraction of this would be phenomenal !!

View attachment 21802
So, crudely, $463 million royalty revenue from 7.5 billion chips? 6 cents per chip? Am I reading this correctly?

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

HopalongPetrovski

I'm Spartacus!
Brainchip Turner Overdrive? 😂😂😂😂🙃Hope you are faring well, FF. All the best from Queensland,
Adam aka vcis123
Glad to see you here VCIS123.
Was hoping you would escape from the crapper and make it over here where the air is fresh and free and fair.
Having had an association with Peter in the past am sure you will be happy with our progress and current trajectory.
Welcome friend ☺️

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 12 users

Mt09

Regular
If I have understood what Peter van der Made, Anil Mankar and Kristopher Carlson have presented the answer is yes because a single node can do everything 80 nodes can do but you will sacrifice latency and training time.

Which is why it is incredibly difficult to rule in or out with Renesas unless they make a deliberate or accidental reveal.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Exactly, a clogged air filter, anomaly detection or a sensor looking for a human entering a room doesn’t require a millisecond response and could be achieved with a “multi pass”. Safety (time) critical applications may need more nodes.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Diogenese

Top 20
So, crudely, $463 million royalty revenue from 7.5 billion chips? 6 cents per chip? Am I reading this correctly?
Those figures ae presumably $US, but still not startling.

The other thing is that many of ARM's customers would be established clients, so would be paying royalties only and not the licence fees. BrainChip have an open order book.

ARM licence fees ten years ago:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7112/the-arm-diaries-part-1-how-arms-business-model-works/2#:~:text=The upfront fee generally ranges from $1M -,2% of the selling price of the chip.

The ARM Diaries, Part 1: How ARM’s Business Model Works

by Anand Lal Shimpion June 28, 2013 12:06 AM EST

The upfront fee generally ranges from $1M - $10M, although there are options lower or higher than that (I’ll get to that shortly). The royalty is on a per chip basis. Every chip that contains ARM IP has a royalty associated with it. The royalty is typically 1 - 2% of the selling price of the chip.

https://www.neowin.net/news/arm-reportedly-hiking-licensing-fees-of-its-chips-by-four-times-for-some-customers/

Arm reportedly hiking licensing fees of its chips by four times for some customers

Rajesh Pandey @ePandu · Jul 16, 2020 02:58 EDT ·

A couple of days after reports first emerged of SoftBank looking to sell Arm Holdings partially or do a public offering, a new report sheds light on how Arm has increased the licensing fees for some of its customers. The Reuters report claims that in recent negotiations, Arm representatives have hiked license costs by as much as four times for some customers. The move has led some of Arm's licensees to consider non-Arm alternatives.
“It’s created a lot of tension for us,” one Arm licensee told Reuters, saying the hikes seemed
out of proportion to the improvements in the technology.

Arm's instruction set and CPU designs play a major role in almost every consumer product out there today, including smartphones, laptops, tablets, wearables, and more. The importance of Arm has only increased over the last decade with the rising popularity of smartphones. They are going to become even more important in the future as Apple has made its intention clear of switching its Mac lineup to custom Arm-based cores as they will offer better performance and efficiency to consumers. Some companies like Qualcomm license the instruction set as well as CPU core designs from Arm and pay a royalty on the latter. Others like Apple only pay the licensing fees for the instruction set and design their own CPU cores.

Arm already rakes in millions of dollars every year from licensing fees and billions of dollars in royalty fees from chips designed by it. A steep rise in Arm licensing fees could negatively impact consumers as well as companies could be forced to increase the final product price to make up for the increased fees.

I wonder how much the licensees are prepared to pay proportionally for improvements in the technology.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 23 users

Deadpool

hyper-efficient Ai
I know it's juvenile, but I believe there is an element of truth:ROFLMAO:
1668250967652.png
1668250853633.jpeg

No hard feelings Scottyo_O

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users

BaconLover

Founding Member

Reactions: 14 users

alwaysgreen

Top 20
Those figures ae presumably $US, but still not startling.

The other thing is that many of ARM's customers would be established clients, so would be paying royalties only and not the licence fees. BrainChip have an open order book.

ARM licence fees ten years ago:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7112/the-arm-diaries-part-1-how-arms-business-model-works/2#:~:text=The upfront fee generally ranges from $1M -,2% of the selling price of the chip.

The ARM Diaries, Part 1: How ARM’s Business Model Works

by Anand Lal Shimpion June 28, 2013 12:06 AM EST

The upfront fee generally ranges from $1M - $10M, although there are options lower or higher than that (I’ll get to that shortly). The royalty is on a per chip basis. Every chip that contains ARM IP has a royalty associated with it. The royalty is typically 1 - 2% of the selling price of the chip.

https://www.neowin.net/news/arm-reportedly-hiking-licensing-fees-of-its-chips-by-four-times-for-some-customers/

Arm reportedly hiking licensing fees of its chips by four times for some customers

Rajesh Pandey @ePandu · Jul 16, 2020 02:58 EDT ·

A couple of days after reports first emerged of SoftBank looking to sell Arm Holdings partially or do a public offering, a new report sheds light on how Arm has increased the licensing fees for some of its customers. The Reuters report claims that in recent negotiations, Arm representatives have hiked license costs by as much as four times for some customers. The move has led some of Arm's licensees to consider non-Arm alternatives.
“It’s created a lot of tension for us,” one Arm licensee told Reuters, saying the hikes seemed
out of proportion to the improvements in the technology.

Arm's instruction set and CPU designs play a major role in almost every consumer product out there today, including smartphones, laptops, tablets, wearables, and more. The importance of Arm has only increased over the last decade with the rising popularity of smartphones. They are going to become even more important in the future as Apple has made its intention clear of switching its Mac lineup to custom Arm-based cores as they will offer better performance and efficiency to consumers. Some companies like Qualcomm license the instruction set as well as CPU core designs from Arm and pay a royalty on the latter. Others like Apple only pay the licensing fees for the instruction set and design their own CPU cores.

Arm already rakes in millions of dollars every year from licensing fees and billions of dollars in royalty fees from chips designed by it. A steep rise in Arm licensing fees could negatively impact consumers as well as companies could be forced to increase the final product price to make up for the increased fees.

I wonder how much the customers are prepared to pay proportionally for improvements in the technology.
That's a great article. Thanks for posting.

So as we are essentially an add on to an arm chip, I wonder what are we going to get per chip from arm? 3 cents? We are going to need tos sell a lot of chips!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

TopCat

Regular
357F5B92-C370-40C0-A0EF-92EDF0EC1A00.jpeg

Would the semiconductor manufacturer in Japan be referring to Megachips? 🤔

Last edited:
  • Thinking
  • Fire
Reactions: 33 users
Top Bottom