TLG Discussion 2022

ACinEur

Regular
Does the journal have to be printed? Surely in this electronic world decisions once finalised can be implemented quicker than 20 days…arrr this is doing my head in… I’m going to shut up now until we get a decision 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

Reactions: 2 users

DAH

Regular
Does the journal have to be printed? Surely in this electronic world decisions once finalised can be implemented quicker than 20 days…arrr this is doing my head in… I’m going to shut up now until we get a decision 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
Safety in numbers AC 😵‍💫

I keep reminding myself that once all the dust settles we'll very likely be in a much stronger position than had we not have been delayed by the appeals. A bit of karma perhaps.

Strategic status under the CRMA is sounding pretty good.

Reactions: 4 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Does the journal have to be printed? Surely in this electronic world decisions once finalised can be implemented quicker than 20 days…arrr this is doing my head in… I’m going to shut up now until we get a decision 😵‍💫😵‍💫

Gutenberg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
What about Australia - what can we learn?
Not a lot.

There are plenty of projects being held up by Green Activists and their fellow travelers. Natural Gas is going to be a transitional energy source whether people like it or not. Renewables cannot run an entire country without nuclear or gas or both in the background.

If it's an iron ore or lithium project the go ahead is straight forward but if it is gas well these days they'll claim drilling will upset the ancient whale songs ( I'm not making this shit up) or disturb the ancient graveyards of their ancestors.................................. 25km f*****g offshore in the Indian Ocean.

Last edited:

beserk

Regular
Block types and ink...

But seriously there are two parallell systems in play here the EU CRMA and the Swedish looong and winding process with opportunities to appeal decisions along the way. The Sami lawyers have over the years become adept at playing this game. Will be interesting to see how this will interface with the EU CRMA.

I can see Lobby groups of antis and their lawyers plying their way to Brussels and the European Court's.

Beserk

beserk

Regular
European Court of Human rights....here we go:rolleyes:

cosors

👀
The slowness of the Swedish judiciary is the active work of the green party who were commissioned by the social democratic party of the time to which had transposed the EU law into national law in a way that caused Brussels to intervene against Sweden. They are responsible for the fact that Sweden has fallen many places in the international ranking for mining nations. They have successfully achieved their goal, not the EU. That's how I remember it.
And I would like to remind you that the global mass protests had begun in the EU, which have led to a rethink and also action by politicians. We can be grateful for this, otherwise nothing would have moved I think.

The absurdity of environmental campaigners putting the brakes on the Green Transition is something that is difficult (for me) to understand comprehend (?) and that many in this movement do not want to see.

And with all this dilemma, the current government is in the process of correcting these (own) mistakes and can only govern because the right-wing party tolerates them. I can't really judge whether that's what the greens wanted and want.

I also rub my eyes at the activities in my own country.

Last edited:

cosors

👀
As a reminder of what we are dealing with here alongside green colonialism and genocide.
A quote regarding the step towards the government:

"A devastation of land like the one in the picture*. Where and how should our ambitions and our endeavours to maintain a society like the one we have created to date come to an end? As an ecologist, I find it difficult to understand the little knowledge that seems to exist among business people, politicians and administrators, in how our/humanity's enormously technical and powerful advantage over an ecosystem's finely tuned, slowly developed pattern of cooperation and dependencies can continue as it has and is doing. The belief that a new step, a new era, as long as it is called green, cute and renewable, will be able to maintain our acquired power and preferably increase it, without harming other spheres and their ecosystems is truly remarkable. The belief that the new needs, the new forms of intervention in the ecosystems and the new forms of energy to achieve and satisfy these needs, do not harm anything, do not in any way affect millennial forms of exchange in the relevant areas here in Sweden, as in the rest of the world, cannot be true. University course descriptions in the relevant subjects do not describe our role as consumers. Programmes for agro-ecologists, farmers, landscape architects and a host of similar beautiful professional titles put us humans in the driver's seat. Course content describes how we, with new technology, new methods and new economics, should shape landscapes, how animals should be cultivated, sorry, yes, produced, how crops should be optimised, and how landscapes should be shaped according to needs. A permanent and development of our destructive social construction, rather than urgently describing the reality and adopting a new course towards survival in functioning societies. It is urgent!"

1710838694191.jpeg

And these views can of course also be found in Swedish and EU policy. That is democracy and requires patience. Sometimes hard to bring up, but better than living in a regime I think.

The absurdity of environmental campaigners putting the brakes on the Green Transition is something that is difficult for me to understand and that many in this movement do not want to see.

Understanding Settler Colonialism - James Lindsay

JNRB

Regular
T
Understanding Settler Colonialism - James Lindsay

This propaganda has nothing to do with the concerns of the Sami

T

This propaganda has nothing to do with the concerns of the Sami
Thanks for your input, but that's not why I posted it. It was actually a reply to cosors trying to understand the absurdity of environmental campaigners. The Sami in this instance are just useful for them.

Reactions: 1 users

beserk

Regular
I did not try to pull the wool over your eyes as they say downunder.
Four Sami reindeer families in Handöl Sami village took 500 Settlers finally to the Swedish Supreme Court in 2003 and lost. And that was the last stop in the Swedish Courts of this saga 13 years in the making.

The next stop on their quest was..the European Court of Human Rights or the Strasbourg Court or ECtHR.

The issue was the Sami claim to exclusive use of disputed multi use land for reindeer winter grazing. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

View attachment 59473

The Handöl Sami, that live 600 km south of the Talma in the county of Härjedalen, claimed that they had used the land for more than 200 years and that the fact that they had "occupied" the land for ancient practice of the 'ur people of the north' every winter season should give their reindeer preferential accesss to the land and free use of the forested area for grazing. The private and rightful owners of the land in question, on the other hand, would like to practice standard agroforestry on it year around. Cutting down old fully grown trees full of lichen for their timber etc. And not being constrained in doing so by the grazing Handöl reindeer.

The ECtHR wanted to see black on white documents including affidavits, protocols, land titles and such and didn't consider any hear say. The court judged that the Handöl Sami case was inadmissable.

If the Talma Sami don't even get to argue their case in the Supreme court, which might happen, the only remaining narrow judicial reindeer track leads south to the ECtHR, the Strasbourg Court.

If Talma and their lawyers do follow this single track they might want to have all their papers in order.

Methinks the historical land use expose of the Talma area, prepared by the Luleå Technical University researchers, in the paralell case of the attempted land grab by Talma, for the lucrative and exclusive fishing and hunting rights, is just the document the Strasbourg Court might consider. Well reasoned, balanced and academically sound.

Interesting times ahead

Beserk

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 6 users

beserk

Regular
Whoops see attachment...
1000014093.jpg

cosors

👀
"Seminar

Debate ahead of the European elections – the green transition​

The Confederation of Swedish Enterprise wants to contribute to constructive discussions about the future of the EU ahead of the European Parliament elections on 9 June. Now is the time for a debate that focuses on the green transition.

How should the business community contribute to the global climate transition? What market conditions are needed to promote the circular economy? And how do we create the best common climate policy in the EU?

Welcome to a debate on the future of Europe with some of the Swedish candidates for the European Parliament, business leaders, business representatives and decision-makers.

Program:​

13.00 Coffee and registration

1.30 p.m. We will begin the debate with business leaders Per-Erik Lindvall , Chairman of the Board of Talga Group, Henrik Sjölund , CEO of Holmen, David Öquist , CEO of Sunpine and Christina Friborg , Director of Sustainability, SSAB, giving their perspectives on the companies' reality, needs and views on the environment, climate and energy issues in the EU.

(Sweden Democrats) will then take the Lisa Nåbo (Social Democratic Party), Anna-Maria Corazza Bildt (Liberal Party), Emma Wiesner (Centre Party) and Tomas Brandberg stage to reflect on the companies' input and discuss the green issues.

We leave plenty of room for conversations with the audience. Take the opportunity to ask your questions and share your thoughts.

Before we wrap up , Marie Trogstam from the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise summarizes the debate in conversation with moderator Lydia Capolicchio.

EU-valet collage

Find out more about the European elections
EU-Valet 2024 "

• Fire

cosors

👀
"Chinese business chamber urges EU to abandon non-market measures that disrupt global raw material supply chain

By Global Times Published: Mar 19, 2024 10:06 PM

1711372441529.jpeg

Chinese business chamber urged the EU not to disrupt global supply chain of major raw materials through non-market measures, and provide fair business environment to Chinese enterprises.

The statement by the China Chamber of Commerce to the EU was sent to the Global Times on Wednesday, regarding the approved Critical Raw Materials Act (CRMA), as the act was seen as a move to affect normal China-EU economic activities.

The EU's attempt to find substitutes for Chinese raw material supplies will challenge economic and trade cooperation between China and the EU, and ramp up costs for Europe in its digital and economic transformation, Chinese experts said.

The chamber stated that China and the EU have vast room for cooperation in areas such as the extraction, processing and recycling of critical raw materials, as well as mutual industrial dependence, and called the EU to maintain an impartial attitude toward Chinese companies.

"We hope that the EU will avoid politicalizing and weaponizing economic and trade matters, reduce barriers to market entry and investment, encourage dialogue and collaboration between China and the EU in relevant areas, and provide a fair, equitable, and non-discriminatory business environment for Chinese enterprises," said the chamber.

The European Council announced on Monday the adoption of CRMA to establish a framework to ensure a secure and sustainable supply of critical raw materials, which identifies two lists of materials that are crucial for green and digital industrial transformation, as well as for the defense and space industries.

The CRMA establishes three benchmarks for the EU's annual consumption of raw materials: 10 percent from local extraction, 40 percent to be processed in the EU and 25 percent to come from recycled materials.

The CRMA embodies the strategic intention of breaking dependence on single mineral raw material import sources and breaking the dependence on the supply of refined products from Chinese mineral resources, posing potential challenges to China-EU economic and trade cooperation, Yang Chengyu, an associate research fellow at the Institute of European Studies of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, told the Global Times on Tuesday.

The act aims to leverage large-scale investments in global critical minerals to enhance the diversification of mineral raw material sources, Yang said, noting that "This move creates a potential collision between China and the EU in critical mineral resources, intensifying competition for international minerals."

The regulation is filled with strong values and ideological undertones, Chinese experts said.

The close connection of the global green industry chain and China's significant cost advantages in many green industries imply that the EU still needs to rely on China for raw materials, intermediate products and final products to enhance the economic viability of its green transformation and green product manufacturing, Yang said.

China has a strong position in critical mineral mining and a dominant position in processing and manufacturing. China accounts for 85-90 percent of global rare-earth element mine-to-metal refining and it refines 68 percent of the world's cobalt, 65 percent of nickel and 60 percent of lithium, according to a report published on the website of Goldman Sachs in September 2023.

China is an important supplier of some key raw materials for the EU. Given China's enormous production capacity and technological advantages, the EU's pursuit of the "China substitution" strategy in the green sector may lead to rising costs that it could find difficult to bear, Yang said."

1711372529940.png

If the subject wasn't so serious, I would laugh.
The Swedes are probably wondering why China has simply imposed a ban on them.
This ambiguity is simply unreliable and unbearable.
These dangerous false xxx should see how the EU deals with US monopolies.
I'd better keep quiet now. These...

What's the bet that after we have been waiting for so many months in high anticipation that a positive Court decision will be a great catalyst for the SP..................................................... the reality will be the SP will only move a few % after all this anticipation.

I'm thinking we wont even breach $1.00 as the battery sector is in the doldrums

Last edited:

cosors

👀
What's the bet that after we have been waiting for so many months in high anticipation that a positive Court decision will be a great catalyst for the SP..................................................... the reality will be the SP will only move a few % after all this anticipation.

I'm thinking we wont even breach $1.00 as the battery sector is in the doldrums
Northvolt was welcomed to northern Germany yesterday. It is expected to create at least 3000 jobs and another 6 to 7k through suppliers. Northvolt made a conscious decision in favour of this location. They said they want to bring in their experience from Sweden, where they hadn't paid enough attention to the surrounding ecosystem. They want to do that better here and start everything in parallel.
This is just one of many factories. ACC, Verkor, Freyr and others. If anything, I only perceive a small interim lull. There was a lot of hype back then and everyone thought a new era was dawning. Then came war and exploding costs, rising interest rates and then, of course, China came to dominate the world. But in view of all these activities, I don't see a general lull. VW is very worried about how they can fulfil their obligations and not pay billions in fines. They have no choice but to go for it. The clock is ticking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

cosors

👀
"CIRPASS Final Event – Digital Product Passport

State of play and possible future developments of the Digital Product Passport (DPP)

Are you interested in how digitalisation can support the circular economy?

With Digital Product Passports (DPP) expected to come into force by 2027, and gradually expanded to a wide scope of product groups, this event will contribute to your understanding of DPP deployment.

The CIRPASS final public event will once again bring together European industries, policymakers, R&D centres, standardisation organisations, circular economy and sustainability actors and digital solution providers to learn more about the current state and possible future developments of the Digital Product Passport (DPP).  Attendees will gain a wider understanding of the DPP’s current and future challenges and opportunities, as well as how these three projects are working together to inspire and contribute to the broader work of the EC on the DPP.

CIRPASS is an EU-funded project that brings together 31 experienced partners, including EBA250-EIT InnoEnergy, to prepare the ground for the gradual piloting and deployment of the DPP, focusing on developing a roadmap for three value chains: electronics, batteries and textiles.

Practical information

Date & Time: 05 March 2024, 09:30-17:30 CET
Registration on this page. Note that registration is free of charge and open to all.
Organisers: CIRPASS event in collaboration with the Product Information 4.0 and BatteryPass projects.

For more information on the event and agenda, please visit the following webpage."

All infos in this document:
https://cirpassproject.eu/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/CIRPASS_Final_Event_QA.pdf

• Fire
Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
1711525952860.png

1711525535226.jpeg

The 2 main stage sessions on the hunt for sustainable batteries​

Published: March 13, 2024

“The hunt for sustainable minerals and batteries. Ensuring Sustainable and Ethical Supply Chains for Batteries”, is one of the three main topics for this year’s Nordic EV Summit. In this news piece, you can read about the two main stage sessions on the battery industry.

“The Hunt for Sustainable Minerals and Batteries”

On day one, during the first main stage session on
‘The Hunt for Sustainable Minerals and Batteries,’ you will hear from the author of the book ‘Volt Rush’ and Executive Editor of Benchmark Source, Henry Sanderson. Furthermore you will hear from Niklas Niemann, partner of Systemiq; Olav Skalmeraas, Managing Director of Norge Mineraler AS, part of Norge Mining Limited; and Kaja Lønne Fjørtoft from WWF.
Furthermore, before we discuss the hunt for sustainable minerals, you will hear from Åslaug Marie Haga, the CEO of Renewable Norway and hear from H.E. Seharla Abdulahi, Director General, Petoleum and Energy Authority, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia on Powering the green transition.

READ MORE ABOUT THIS SESSION HERE

“Battery bonanza: supply chains, recycling, production, and global trade policy”

On day two, we will gather top speakers from the battery industry for the

“Battery bonanza: supply chains, recycling, production, and global trade policy” event. Industry leaders in the battery supply chain will bring you a highly interesting panel with a status update and future outlook. In this panel, you will hear from Talga Group, Hydrovolt, Freyr and Vianode discussing the work towards a more sustainable battery manufacturing supply chain, the enormous challenge of recycling thousands of EV batteries in the future, as well as the global trade policy changes facing the industry.

READ MORE ABOUT THIS SESSION HERE
TLG.png

1711525905654.png

1711526106315.png

View organization page for Talga Group
5,855 followers

Catch Talga Group CTO, Anna Moisala Motta at the Nordic EV Summit, 5 April in Oslo. Anna joins the event to speak on 'Battery bonanza: supply chains, recycling, production, and global trade policy'. See you there! 🌎 🔋 More info 👉 https://lnkd.in/dvcbZbBW

View organization page for Nordic EV Summit
Nordic EV Summit

3,791 followers; 1w
The 2 main stage sessions on the hunt for sustainable batteries #NordicEVSummit 2024 📢 🔋 “The hunt for sustainable minerals and batteries. Ensuring Sustainable and Ethical Supply Chains for Batteries”, is one of the three main topics for this year’s Nordic EV Summit. Here, you can read about the two main stage sessions on the battery industry. “The Hunt for Sustainable Minerals and Batteries” ➡ https://lnkd.in/dKSHDmGS On day one, during the first main stage session on ‘The Hunt for Sustainable Minerals and Batteries,’ you will hear from the author of the book ‘Volt Rush’ and Executive Editor of Benchmark Source, Henry Sanderson. Furthermore you will hear from Dr. Niklas Niemann, partner of Systemiq Ltd.; Olav Skalmeraas, Managing Director of Norge Mineraler AS, part of Norge Mining Limited; and Kaja Lønne Fjærtoft from WWF. Furthermore, before we discuss the hunt for sustainable minerals, you will hear from Åslaug Marie Haga, the CEO of Renewables Norway and hear from H.E. Seharla Abdulahi, Director General, Petoleum and Energy Authority, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia on Powering the green transition. “Battery bonanza: supply chains, recycling, production, and global trade policy” ➡ https://lnkd.in/dsJ9RRMt - On day two, we will gather top speakers from the battery industry for the “Battery bonanza: supply chains, recycling, production, and global trade policy” event. Industry leaders in the battery supply chain will bring you a highly interesting panel with a status update and future outlook. In this panel, you will hear from Anna Moisala Motta, Talga Group, Ole-Christen Enger, Hydrovolt, Birger Steen, FREYR Battery and Burkhard Straube, Vianode discussing the work towards a more sustainable battery manufacturing supply chain, the enormous challenge of recycling thousands of EV batteries in the future, as well as the global trade policy changes facing the industry. https://lnkd.in/dvcbZbBW #nordicevsummit #battery #batteryproduction #batterymetals #rawmaterial #rawmaterials #batterymanufacturing #renewable #renewableenergy
The 2 main stage sessions on the hunt for sustainable batteries

The 2 main stage sessions on the hunt for sustainable batteries

https://nordicevs.no

• Fire

cosors

👀

1711526488672.png

"52 million to Luleå University of Technology's materials lab for green transition

WISE, where Luleå University of Technology is included together with six other universities in what is the largest investment in materials science ever in Sweden. Almost three billion SEK will be invested in the universities concerned over the next ten years with great importance for basic research and the Swedish manufacturing industry. Decisions have now been made to build strong research infrastructures for 500 million in total, including at Luleå University of Technology where two high-tech labs in materials science are strengthened.

- We appreciate this investment of SEK 52 million from the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation, for two of our materials science labs. This strengthens our ability to be at the forefront in a very important area and conduct advanced materials research in close collaboration with industry in the green transition, says Birgitta Bergvall-Kåreborn, Vice-Chancellor at Luleå University of Technology.

A sustainable future

The initiative WISE, Materials Science for Sustainability, has the vision of a sustainable future by strengthening Swedish research on the technical properties of different materials. It is a collaboration between the leading universities in Sweden in materials science: Luleå University of Technology, Chalmers University of Technology, Royal Institute of Technology, Linköping University, Uppsala University, Stockholm University and Lund University. Together with industry and society, the initiative will promote and accelerate a transition to a sustainable society. It will also advance the scientific frontier in materials science that strongly establishes Sweden as a leading nation in the field.

At Luleå University of Technology, materials research takes place in areas such as sustainable mining and metal production, circular use of raw materials, biocomposites and fossil-free energy production. In the materials science labs, the researchers collaborate with LKAB, SSAB, Boliden, Talga, Vattenfall, H2 Green Steel and Northvolt.

- "It is fantastic for us to be able to make this investment in our labs. The new instruments take our already outstanding materials research to a new level. We can now develop existing materials and identify new ones, with high performance that at the same time provide less climate impact throughout the production and use process, says Marta-Lena Antti, Professor of Materials Science and Technology and scientific leader of WISE at Luleå University of Technology.

The SEK 52 million at Luleå University of Technology goes specifically to equipment for high-resolution electron microscopy (FIB-SEM, focused ion-beam scanning electron microscopy) and a new instrument for 3D X-ray computed tomography (XCT) within Luleå University of Technology's research infrastructure LUMIA (Luleå Material Imaging and Analysis) as well as three new instruments for analyzing material friction and abrasion in extreme environments and for synchrotron measurements at MAX IV in Lund.

Researchers in the relevant labs at Luleå University of Technology are very pleased with the investment:
- We now get unique equipment that enables new discoveries of revolutionary materials that can be used for, among other things, storage of carbon dioxide and hydrogen, fossil-free steel and the manufacture of batteries. We can also research critical raw materials for renewable energy, such as rare earth metals," says Glenn Bark, researcher in ore geology and director of LUMIA, who together with Fredrik Forsberg, researcher in experimental mechanics, is responsible for two of the new instruments.

- With the new highly advanced microscope, we will be able to improve materials and manufacturing processes, such as determining why wear damage to press tools and machine components has occurred. With the new equipment, we will also be able to understand and prevent damage caused by so-called leakage currents on electric motor bearings, which is a prerequisite for the transition to electric cars," says Roland Larsson, Professor of Machine Elements at Luleå University of Technology, who together with Jens Hardell, Professor of Machine Elements, is responsible for the WiseEST platform in collaboration with Uppsala University.

WISE, Wallenberg Initiative Materials Science for Sustainability, which is funded by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation, has a total budget for the WISE program of almost SEK 3 billion during 2022-2033.

In the picture: Leading persons within WISE at Luleå University of Technology, front row from left: Fredrik Forsberg, researcher in experimental mechanics and Jens Hardell, professor of machine elements. Back row from left: Roland Larsson, Professor of Machine Elements, Marta-Lena Antti, Professor of Materials Science and Engineering and Scientific Director of WISE at Luleå University of Technology, Ekaterina Osipova, Research Coordinator and Glenn Bark, Researcher in Ore Geology."

• Fire
Top Bottom